Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Was that at Daniel's BMW in/near Allentown? A coworker (ex-BMW guy, currently Audi fan) went and drove the 335 Sedan. He said "fast!". The route sounds about right from what he was explaining.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Nope.... it was in Cincinnati.. (unless you are a law enforcement professional... in that case, it was Sioux City, Iowa).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Just the fact that BMW has such a program related to breast cancer research elevates the marque in my eyes... Thanks, BMW.

Gotta get me an invite...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I just registered for an ultimate drive next week, found a dealer near me where registration was open...we'll see what happens. :)
  • donnabgood1donnabgood1 Member Posts: 39
    KYFDX,

I LOVED your post about The Ultimate Drive! Your enthusiasm really came through..and I can just imagine what a fun time you had dechiering each car's qualties. Now all things being equal, if BMW said to you you could have any of those cars you drove, the 650 coupe, 335i sedan, or 530xi wagen for 99 a month, which would you choose and why? Take all the money factor, residual value, msrp cost, etc., all that stuff that usually goes into decision making, just throw all that out the window, and just pick a car for two years based on pure driving joy -- which one would you choose? Me? I think I'd pick the 650 simply for all that style...hands down that would me my pick..color would be unimportant..but ok if you insist I'll take it in Jet Black and I'd drive it like it's stolen! :blush:

Regards,
    Donna
    It's hard to ignore the actual expense of the cars, when making choices like that... So, if it didn't matter what they cost, you'd lose a little of the WOW factor of the 6-series..

Assuming that the $99/mo. deal doesn't come with a monthly stipend that lets me quit my job, I'd probably go with the 335i.. I generally lean towards smaller and lighter... and, having a 4-door is a lot easier with a family of three.

The wagon would be great, but it would have to be RWD and with the sport package..

The 6-series? If I got that, I'd never get to drive it.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Great stuff! Thank you for the feedback. I agree the sports seats are worth every penny. It is incomprehensible not to have this if you spend long hours on the road...what a difference they make.

The 335 sounds like it did well with you. I was keen to hear about your take on the 650. I know you gravitate to the smaller car but it sounds like the 650 ain't that bad. I never drove one but was always interested in the comparison of the more proficient drivers on this forum. The M version must be really over the top.

Now you have me thinking...

Regards,
    OW
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The 6 Series has a Driving Experience all its own. If you buy a 6, you go to Spartanburg to flog their 6's for a day on their track. Here are some pictures I've found of the 6 driving event...

So it's kinda like the Ultimate drive, but all day long. :D

-Paul
    This track looks very inviting! I do like the looks of the 6'er. Should I be sensible in '08 and stay with a 3'er? Or...you guys are really going to have to help me here!

Regards,
    OW
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Thanks for the link, Walt. I've thrown my name in the hat...

I purchased Komen Foundation Golf Shirts for my wife and sister-in-law last Xmas. This scourge, unfortunately, hits close to home...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    Read the road test between infiniti G37 and BMW 335. Don't recall the exact words "335 limped of the track", and now I just read in Bimmer magazine that their BMW 335 test drive with speeds 70 to 80mph in 60 degree weather that the oil gauge was showing 230 when they expected 200. The magazine than indicated that it wouldn't take much more to hit the max 300. Even though I read great things about the car, I just concern about these little red flags that I am reading about. Anybody have any comments?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wouldn't expect the engine oil temperature to be affected all that much by outside ambient temperatures---it's not like coolant temps, which are a lot more volatile. If their logic is that 40 degrees higher outside air temp will result in 40 degrees higher oil temps, or even higher than one to one ratio, I'd like to see that proven. Sounds like an illogical conclusion to me.

Having driven cars with water temp and oil temp gauges, I never saw them rising at anything like an equal ratio.

Any engineers around to comment? This is an interesting question!

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Every 335i that I have driven(three and counting) tending to show elevated(over 280F) oil temperatures when being driven in, shall we say, a "spirited" fashion. This tells me that the car is already tuned to the bleeding edge; I would be very reluctant to drive the car on the track and/or attempt to squeeze any more power out of it. I was seriously considering buying one, but now I've about decided to pick up a one or two year old CPO M3 for similar $$$.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Early models were missing an oil cooler... which has now been made standard equipment..

I think there is a recall to install the oil cooler on early build models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Yup, that would explain the high temps...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well 280 is high, no arguing that. My Porsche 911s ran in the 210 area and I never had any engine issues. I think if a powerplant is running consistently above 210--220, you have to expect lower engine life. But whether a peak temp is okay or not in racing, I don't know.

An external oil cooler would make a world of difference of course...night and day.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    "Any engineers around to comment?

Yessir, present & accounted for.

I put an oil temperature gauge in my beloved '65 MGB & learned much up in Edmonton -- it takes forever (as in half-way to Red Deer) to warm up the oil. On the other hand, an oil cooler that uses engine coolant to "cool" the oil can actually accelerate the warmup. OTOH, if you're sporting an air-driven oil cooler or none at all, it'll take most of an hour to get the oil to anything approaching steady-state operating temperature, particularly (sorry) if it's really cold out.

Either way, I work in the gas turbine engine business these days, and synthetic oil has been the rule for decades. All our HOT (high oil temperature) sensors are set for 290 deg F +/- 10 deg. Anyone who thinks that an engine filled with synthetic oil is having anything other than a slow day at 220 deg F is, let's just say, uninformed.

Oil warms up really slowly, which is much of why (actual) MPG numbers hurt for around-town driving. . .and why the OEM's recommend 5W & 0W oil -- it'll help them get through the EPA crap that needs to be gotten through. I can guarantee you that when the EPA test is run, the oil is at the absolute highest temperature allowed by the spec.

Have a nice day.

Don't you just love those "unintended consequences?"

Ain't government wonderful?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Early models were missing an oil cooler... which has now been made standard equipment..

My last 335i drive(no pun intended) was a fairly new convertible. At what build date did they begin to fit the oil coolers?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

So you are saying 280 temp for a 3.0 TT 335 is not a big deal since it use synthetic oil, correct?

Regards,
    OW
    I think sometime in February..

Of course this is from my rather vague memory..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    OK, so I saw a 335Xi with my own eyes yesterday on my way home from work. I even weaved through a maze of cars to catch up to it and the Z4 it was following and made sure that my perfect vision wasn't fooling me. When is BMW going to update their website accordingly?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yes.

There may be other issues, but synthetic oil can run all year long at 280F. That's what you're paying for when you buy the stuff.

That and its low viscosity at really low temperatures.

It's really good at both extremes, but the reality is that where 98% of people drive, it's wasted. I use it, all the same.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

cdn, thanks for your incite. I realized I couldn't really know what temp my oil temp was running at any any given time since there is gauge. But it is something that most folks do not even think about in the operation of their engines.

It's nice to get the deeper view.

Regards,
    OW
    Great stuff...Ive been looking for weeks!

Regards,
    OW
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Reportedly, all 335 sport package cars have been getting oil coolers since March 1 production. Previous to March 1, you only got an oil cooler in M6 cars, sport package or not. Non-sport package cars still do not get oil cooler (regardless of transmission). It's located in the right front wheel well, ahead of the tire. Easy to spot if you're looking for it. Another March 1 change: all 335's have 340 degree oil temp gauge (instead of 300). My new 335i coupe was supposed to be arriving at the dealership today; hopefully I'll take delivery Thursday. :shades:
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Anyone have a pic of this oil cooler? The car is all covered and I don't see anything. My car is a Jan. build and with the weather getting warm here, I notice my temp is getting around 280.

I wonder why BMW moved the guage to 340 if cars is getting equipped with oil coolers. Does that mean non-oil coolers car are expected to go over 300 on a hot day or on the track and wouldn't that do damage to the engine?
    Came back from the Ultimate Drive. What a blast. Drove the 335 coupe, X5, Z4, 550, 650 convertible and 750il. Kudos to the organizers. The event was well very run and the organizers really worked hard to keep the cars and people moving. The partipants were very amicable and courteous.

The power of the 335 is astounding, for a porky little devil it's handling is astounding. The 550 really surprised me when I punched the accelerator. The flagship sedan, 750i is extremely high tech. The X5, didn't do much for me, alhtough I can see what people would like in it. The Z4 was extremely nimble although I thought luxury was slightly lacking (especially after the 550). All cars and models had every conceivable option (bluetooth, nav, heads up display etc). The most fun was the 650 convertible, and it has a great dual note exhaust.

The course was about 10 miles, a mix of construction clogged streets, back winding roads and a little highway.

Oh and idrive. I figured it out in 5 seconds, while driving about 50 miles per hour. It required no brain power to use, although there are a lot of options. The new version of idrive a far and away better than the previous. Not surprisingly the 750 idrive menus had the most choices. The heated and cooling seats were a little disconcerting at first because they fill with air, but I could definitely see how nice having a cool seat is on a hot day. Lastly the weather was perfect, about 85 degrees and sunny.

BMW donates a dollar for every mile driven in this event. This event is a win-win for BMW, the participants, the dealerships who host this, and the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Saw lots of smiles today. BMW makes some great cars.
    KD, thanks for your feedback. Great post! I still wonder why some would have trouble with the 335 weight if the handling performance might have IMPROVED with better engineering vs. the older 3'ers. I guess it is a personal thing but sooner or later we need to accept our pork!

What was the difference between the 550 and 650 that made the 650 more fun?

I would be interested in this event in the NJ area and will check it out. Great way to contribute and have fun.

Thanks!

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I still wonder why some would have trouble with the 335 weight if the handling performance might have IMPROVED with better engineering vs. the older 3'ers. I guess it is a personal thing but sooner or later we need to accept our pork!"

That's one perspective, and a valid one at that. Of course the other side of the coin is that you really can feel the weight of the heaver car. I had occasion to test drive a new Honda Civic EX the other day, a car that is all of 2,700 pounds (and change), and I have to tell you, FWD not withstanding, that thing was a joy to pilot around simply because it was so light. Will it out-handle even the lowliest of non-Sport Package BMWs sold here in the U.S.? I doubt it. Was it fun to drive just the same? You bet.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "I had occasion to test drive a new Honda Civic EX the other day, a car that is all of 2,700 pounds (and change), and I have to tell you, FWD not withstanding, that thing was a joy to pilot around simply because it was so light."

I assume the E87 would then be more ultimate in the handling department then the E90/92. Hopefully, the decision will be made to export to the US.

Regards,
    OW
    "What was the difference between the 550 and 650 that made the 650 more fun?"

Both cars drove like they were on rails, but the convertible made the drive a hoot.

BTW we must live in the same neck of the woods. I attended an ultimate event hosted by a BMW dealer on route 1.

The schedule for the ultimate events can be found on bmwusa.com. Preregisration is not required, walk-ins are welcome.

The 335 is where it should be in terms of size. I need something bigger than Civic. The difference between the 330i and 335i is like night an day. After driving the 335 the 330 seems substandard. I know a lot of people railed against the loss of the cockpit feel, size and idrive. I didn't feel that, the car is a winner all around.
    "The 335 is where it should be in terms of size. I don't want to drive around the car the size of a Civic."

Funny you should mention that. It seems that there is a very good likelihood that sometime this year my family and I'll be living and working in an area where a Civic is considered a large luxury car, complete with leather interior, automatic climate control and all kinds of "luxurious" bells and whistles that can’t be had on that car for love nor money here in North America. Cars like 3-Series BMWs and such are pretty much relegated for the "haves" of that society.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Good luck with the move. The 1 series is what you are looking for (so I think), if it ever makes it across the pond.
    So... where you headed?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    if it ever makes it across the pond

Um, he might not have to be concerned with that part. ;)
    As Pat said, Europe ain't where we're headed. ;-)

As the negotiations sit right now, it looks like about 95% odds that we're moving to HK in July, and we'll be staying for a minimum of six months. Assuming that the six month stint goes well (and I see no real reason why it won't), then the time over there will most likely get extended to at least three years.

So, without having all of the package details yet, we're looking at leaving our house intact through the end of the year (we think we've already found a house sitter). Assuming the extension happens; I'll probably leave the family there, fly back, move everything into storage, and depending upon the market, either sell the house or rent it out.

From the car perspective, it looks like I'll be car-less for the second time in my adult life (and the first time was only like the first couple of months when I moved from Chicago to Manhattan). That said, depending upon what I wind up doing professionally while I'm there, a car may still have to happen. Do I want to drive a nice BMW in Asia? Not exactly. Time will tell. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I very much enjoyed Hong Kong the one time I visited -- a definite step up from Taiwan, which I visited 22 times between '85 & '95.

Best of luck. Hope you enjoy it.
    As I think you know, I've spent a fair amount of time in Taiwan over you last five years and have always enjoyed my visits there. ;-) That said, the folks I was working with there is what made the trips so enjoyable.

I haven't been to Hong Kong since 1988 or 1989, and needless to say, LOTS has changed since then. Gee, ya think? The only real issue is that, per my wife who was just over there a few weeks back, their pollution issues have gone from bad to worse over the last couple of decades. :-(

The good news is that I'm a "Glass is half full" kind of individual, and I know that I'll figure out a way to enjoy myself. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I just got my 07 328i today and I love it! The one option I paid extra for (400 dollars for) is the USB hookup. I ordered it from the factory to be installed. I thought it would be installed in the glove box, but when my salesman delivered they moved it to the center console, which as a side note I have to say is tricky to open. Sure enough there was a usb input there as well as the standard aux input. It came with a usb input.. one side fit in the BMW USB import but the other side was way to small for the I-pod.. so I went into my house and found a USB input that fit perfectly.. and for over 3 hours now, my I-pod says do not disconnect.. and of course I cannot get it to play, I cannot access and sound from the radio. I have i-drive too on this car. My salesman told me it will take a while for the I pod to download because I have a 60 gig ipod..but still 3 hours later? Is that something that will have to be done eveytime? If anybody has this option please let me know your experience. I don't know where to post it, so I am posting it in a few different places.

Thanks so much for any knowledge you can shed on this subject. :)

Donna
  • acgordonacgordon Member Posts: 4
    I believe you have the wrong cable. The cable that came with the iPod certainly won't work. Its a cable that is supposed to be supplied by BMW to you - one end connects to the iPod, and the other end has two connections, one for the aux and one for the USB. I went through the same thing. Once I got the right cable from BMW, my iPod immediately worked and it took seconds to download all my songs.

Adam
    Thanks Adam for your reply. How did you get the right cable? Who did you speak to at BMW-- your dealership or the Apple store? So if I understand correctly you got a 3 prong cable? One section for the BMW USB and the BMW aux and one for the I-pod USB port? Or is it one cable for the BMW USB, with the other side the I-pod Aux (head phone jack) and USB for the I-pod? Whichever setup it is do you have do have both the Aux and USB hooked up at the same time, using either both ports in the I-pod or BMW??

My salesman said it's the latest technology what they just start using in the new 08 5's.. that's why they moved it to the center console. instead of the glove as I expected..do you have the same thing? And because most people don't order the Apple USB he's not too sure on how to make it work..he said he knows the the reason I bought the car wasn't for the Apple USB and I joked it most certainly was, that and the cupholders.. but truth be told I did chose to be patient and custom order my car to get that feature, so it is not to far from the truth, when joking or not it is one of the reasons and one of many things I liked about the BMW.

How is the feature once you have it working -- do you love it? Does it display the song tittle and artist? I hope it's a big improvement over just the standard aux hookup..do you think there was a noticeable advantage for the USB option now that you've lived with it?

Thanks so much for your quick reply..it really helps me feel better knowing there is a fix for it.

Donna
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Hmmmm... I'm looking for a house in your town. If the person you have lined up for a house sitter doesn't work out, let me know. ;)

I really enjoyed Hong Kong when I was there in '87. I got a kick out of the "No Spitting" signs on the dock for the ferry to Kowloon.
    You're second on the list, I'll let you know. ;-)

Hmmm, a minor problem, our garage doors are only eight feet high, might be a tight fit.

I vaguely remember seeing the ferry a couple of times, however, I never got the chance to take it back in the late 1980s. This time around, Mrs. Shipo's office will be in Kowloon and if my current client keeps me on through the move (it's being discussed), their offices are in Hong Kong so I may become very familiar with the ferry. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    It's about time to rename this one to "BWM 335i 2007+," isn't it? ;)
    Really? I was thinking of naming it BMW 335i 2007+.

:P
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I'm dyslexic. Can't you change it to "+7002 i533 WMB"?
    LOL!
    KD, thanks.

BTW we must live in the same neck of the woods. I attended an ultimate event hosted by a BMW dealer on route 1.

I guess we do because I live half way between Rte. 1 and the beach. Perhaps we can do the next one together!

Regards,
    OW
This discussion has been closed.