Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 335i 2007+

Comments

• Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    When you get it repaired, can you post the service bulletin number on the ignition repair?
  • Options
    So my 2007 335i rubber trim around the windows is looking a bit dull. Can anyone suggest any product that lasts through washes?

I was recommended autosol Gummy Pfliege. First wash it with dawn to get rid of existing grime and then put this gummy pfliege on. They say it should last through several washes. Anyone used this product before?
  • Options
    bcdhedstrombcdhedstrom Member Posts: 3
    I ended up going for it all. Special ordered a crimson red 328i Wagon with iDrive, iPod USB, and the premium stereo. Also got premium package, gray and aluminium interior.

This is the first new car I've ever purchased (I'm 43). My current car is a 1989 Volvo 240 wagon so this is gonna be a BIG CHANGE!

Now I just gotta wait 2 months!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    I highly recommend the gray poplar trim with the gray interior... Saw it in an X3.. looks really good.

But.. don't do it for me.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    highly recommend the gray poplar trim with the gray interior...

I agree. The gray with aluminum trim looks drab, IMHO.
  • Options
    donnabgood1donnabgood1 Member Posts: 39
    Congratulations you have a lot to be happy about and a lot to look forward to! You will wonder how you lived so long without driving a BMW -- lol. Sounds like you got all the right options to enjoy it to the fullest..the logic 7 is awesome.. and if you can and you just ordered it, consider adding Sirrus.. I got everything but that and wouldn't you know it is the one thing I miss not having.. though of course nothing compares to the Apple USB and i-Drive with voice commands control.

Congrats BC! Play it LOUD! :)

Donna
  • Options
    stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    I am looking at the 335 sedan without the sport package. I read that only the 335's with the sport package gets the oil cooler. Why does one get the oil cooler and not the other? Is there any concern with the 335 without the oil cooler?
  • Options
    Yes, I am in the same boat and talking to BMW NA is going nowhere.
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    In one of the lastest car mags they had a problem with the Oil Temp on the 335i Coupe which it reach the red zone of the gague. In the article it stated that cars built after X date well have oil cooler on all 335i not just with sport package. I would hope that BMW NA would recall all 335i and place oil coolers on all cars, since it seems like a problem.
  • Options
    stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    Which car magazine did you read that all cars will have the oil cooler? All the recent magazine that I read state otherwise, and when I call BMW they said just the sport package would have it. :confuse:
  • Options
    Opps your right my bad, they are going to be installed on ALL sport equiped cars even autos. To me it seems that BMW has a problems if you can send the engine temp to 300degress on a 75 degree temp just as Motor Trend has done..
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    While they are at it, they should add a dip stick! They better start getting these fundamentals right or loose sales, IMO.

I will not buy a car with tell tale lubrication problems.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    imaroninimaronin Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Gotta ask this after going through the many diesel forums and googling this question.... anyone know if BMW will bring a 3-Series diesel to the US :confuse: ? I've read that BMW may soon bring an X5, a 5-Series and/or an X3 to the US....

I'm currently fine with my Mazda3 (yeah, I know I know... but it's a good ride for the money) :) . I'm thinking of getting something new in a year or two and really hope to go with a BMW. If a 3-Series diesel is in the works for the States, I can wait a bit!

Thanks in advance for any response.

Ronin
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    According to the current & recently received “BMW Magazine” – borrowed from a friend with a 330i:

“Although specific details have yet to be disclosed regarding which models and engines will be offered. . .”

The article ( p56 ) then goes on to describe the “. . .six-cylinder, twin-turbo diesel engine – code-named ‘M57 TOP’. . .” in some detail. Including:
    “. . .enables the diesel-powered 335d Sedan to sprint from a standstill to 62 mph in merely 5 seconds – 0.6 seconds less than the 335i Sedan. . .”.

[[[ Speculation mode = ON ]]]

I expect that BMW will market a 335d, with this motor, in the US, by the end of calendar year 2008.

I expect that it will be ‘a hoot’ to drive, if you enjoy acceleration – and don’t also require high RPM for your driving satisfaction.

[[[ Speculation mode = OFF ]]]

I will be pretty amazed if BMW does NOT send the 335d here.

If a 335d DOES appear next year, I will definitely plan to test drive one . . .
    ( 428 = Torque Number I have seen for the 335d. Wow. )
    - Ray

Addicted to TQ and acceleration - & seeking a 12 step program . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    GM will offer diesels in Cadillac and Saturn by 2010. I am sure BMW will do the same now that Mercedes is offering them here as well.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    BMW simply wants to wait until their diesels are 50 state compliant.

Mercedes and the other companies were happy to sell their diesels in the 40 something states that haven't adopted the stricter emission standards.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd be very interested to see if Americans (in any significant numbers I mean) will want or will tolerate a diesel motor in a luxury car. So far at least the American taste hasn't been all that comfortable associating the diesel motor with high-line motoring. True, the Mercedes has sold in the US but certainly not in any numbers remotely approaching gas engines. Also, the Benz diesels have gone to older drivers not the least bit interested in performance...so I wonder how the BMW buyer in America will take to a diesel (lots of torque but not a high-revving or sporty engine).
  • Options
    I assume the reason they sell well in Europe is the $6.00/gal equivalent of fuel. Soon, this will be the case in the U.S. Perhaps GM and BMW will have the timing right.

I know that isn't the only reason but plese give us some feedback regarding other prefernces for diesel propulsion.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    imaroninimaronin Member Posts: 2
    I am optimistic that the US will start viewing diesels in a better light. Part of the challenge will be for the auto companies to have a clear advertising campaign explaining the improvements in diesel technologies since the 1970's/1980's. Another part of the challenge is to forget about GM's pathetic attempt at passenger car diesels in the 80's.... :)

I'm a firm believer in the value of a quality diesel car. BMW would definitely be on the top of my list due to their great engineering and driver-oriented cars.

Many thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

-Ronin
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I'm a firm believer in the value of a quality diesel car. BMW would definitely be on the top of my list due to their great engineering and driver-oriented cars.

Ok so this isn't a 3 series car but it's a great video on the BMW 535d and while it isn't quite as fast as the gas model it's pretty close fro everyday driving. Driving on a race track kills your economy so keep that in mind. But this BMW looks nice and has plenty of power and that is in the wet!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGwhDDoPBOY
    After they run it in the dry. Looks damn good to me!
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I take british press reviews with a small dose of salt. They always seem to sneak in how some british car 'x' is better. :)
  • Options
    magilla895magilla895 Member Posts: 9
    I've bought the 335i about 7 months ago and took delivery over in Europe (I live in Belgium). About 2 weeks ago the "Engine Malfunction" light came on and the information given was to "reduce power". I could not increase power anyway...I assume this was done to protect the engine.

Anyway, it's in the shop now and with the limited communications (language barrier) I as able to get out of the mechanic that the "High Pressure Pump" had failed. First what is this and can it be repaired without any notice to me.

As you can probably tell, I'm the reason that their are mechanics in this world...don't know a whole lot about engines.

It's pretty disheartening to have the car in the shop after only 7 months and 7300 miles, to say the least.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    I assume it was the high-pressure fuel pump that failed. It is not a huge problem but even new parts fail on occasion.

You will not notice anything different after the repair.

Do not fell bad. My 330xi(2006) had the wiring harness supporting the air bags/seat belts replaced at around ~5K miles!! The repair was successful and the car has been flawless since...I am at 22K.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    HPFP failure seems to be fairly common in 335i. Big problem seems to be shortage of replacement pumps... some cars are collecting dust at service departments for 4 to 6 weeks waiting for this part. Hope you get quicker service that this. On the other hand, I have read a few stories of cars only making it several hundred miles before HPFP failure.
  • Options
    alexbergalexberg Member Posts: 1
    It's true - it does like a bit like the Infiniti. However, as a former G35 owner I can tell you that I FAR prefer the BMW. The G35 was a perfectly fine car which is to damn it with faint praise. It just lacked a soul. I sold mine and LOVE my 335.
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    re take british press reviews with a small dose of salt. They always seem to sneak in how some british car 'x' is better.

Agreed, but there aren't many left to compare -- what was it Honda said? There'd be five car companies left in the world.... and Morgan of course.
  • Options
    magilla895magilla895 Member Posts: 9
    I appreciate the help with this. I went into the BMW dealership today and confirmed it is the HPFP (got someone that spoke great english...LOL). Anyway, the part is on backorder.

However another question...is this a known defect from BMW? Have they identified this part (or manufacturer) as a significant proglem? Have they changed manufacturers for this part? Just curious.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the link and interesting read.

I noticed the 11 mpg / 150 mile range comments and cringed. What's up with a 13.8 gallon tank in a V8 M3? My 911S isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle around town (13-18 mpg, depending upon conditions), but at least it has a 16.8 gallon tank and gets pretty decent highway mileage. Drove back from Pennsylvania last weekend and, for 365 highway miles averaged exactly 28.0 mpg at 73.5 mph and still had nearly 4 gallons left in the tank when I refueled. Not bad for a car that can scamper to 60 in 3.9 to 4.3 seconds depending upon who's testing.

How's the fuel efficiency on the 335i for you owners that keep track?
  • Options
    “What's up with a 13.8 gallon tank in a V8 M3? My 911S isn't the most fuel efficient vehicle around town (13-18 mpg, depending upon conditions), but at least it has a 16.8 gallon tank”

The European specs for the M3 show 63 liters = 13.86 IMPERIAL gallons = 16.64 US gallons.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    From the 2008 3 series product bulletin:

“The 335xi Coupe will be powered by the 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline 6-cylinder producing 300 horsepower. The vehicle’s impressive 0-60 time is 5.2 seconds manual, 5.3 seconds automatic. That’s 0.1 seconds and 0.2 seconds faster than the 335i Coupe.”
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    So much for the loss in drive train efficiency in the xdrive.
    Let's see down the road in real life drives!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Ahh, well there is of course drivetrain loss, but 0-30, the added traction obviously compensates for it.

In any case, those are "official" 0-60 numbers, and mags have already gotten 4.8 for the RWD car.
  • Options
    The European specs for the M3 show 63 liters = 13.86 IMPERIAL gallons = 16.64 US gallons.

That makes sense on the fuel tank capacity....but, the article clearly states figures of 11 mpg and a 150 mile range (13.8 gallons). If those figures are based upon Imperial gallons, that would mean the M3 is only getting the equivalent of 9 mpg per U.S. gallon. Egads. :surprise: :surprise:
  • Options
    Porsche also tries to claim no acceleration penalty from going to heavier, less drive train efficient AWD from RWD in the "4" vs. "2" 911 models. And, as with BMW, they are very conservative with their published figures, listing the 911S at 4.6 seconds, when the various road tests I've seen come in at 3.9 to 4.3.

My buttometer says that the AWD versions of both the 911 and 3 series are definitely slower than their RWD counterparts. The AWD models still meet or beat the manufacturers claims in road tests, but the RWD versions significantly beat those figures.

I suspect that it would be harder for Porsche or BMW to sell their AWD systems if they fessed up to a perforamnce penalty. Another fudge factor seems to be the fuel efficiency. I have hit 27-28 mpg several times on 300+ mile highway runs at 70-75 mph with my 911S. My dealer drives similar routes in a 911 4S and typically averages 24-25 mpg.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    that's what happens when you put the boot in the boschware :)
  • Options
    I always respect your opinion and at the end of the day, agree that weight is weight in the eyes of pure physics. However (you knew this was coming) if weight were equal, the extra grip would be hard to beat in a straight line time test.

So, if a sumo wrestler was driving the 2WD and you were driving the AWD, guess who would win in the 1/4?! :blush:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    “boot in the boschware” - Mr_Shiftright HOST

Well put.

To elaborate just a bit . . .
    A couple of thoughts and observations:
    [ And I did read the article. ]

Journalists ‘evaluating’ a new car with over 400 HP and a HP peak at 8,300 RPM ( yikes! ) are likely to be pushing that motor toward the red line as often as traffic & local law enforcement allows.

Particularly with ‘only’ ( ?? ) 295 lb\ft of torque ( well, ‘only’ relative to that HP # ) and the very high HP peak RPM I expect that little, if any time was actually spent driving these beasts anywhere near like the EU urban MPG test regimen requires. Or the US EPA ( new for 2008 ) test procedures.

I note that for 2008 the BMW M5 posts EPA numbers of 11 city & 17 hwy.

Though many BMWs ( the 330i & 335i, for example – since that is the Forum Title here ) achieve remarkable EPA #s and real world results as well, the M series focus seems rather different.

[[ 18 \ 26 or 17 \ 26 for the 2007 335i New Procedure & 20 \ 29 ( A6 ) on the actual 2007 window stickers. ]]

I’ll be interested to read reports of real world fuel mileage once US deliveries commence.

- Ray
    Fan of big TQ, at low RPM . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    "However (you knew this was coming) if weight were equal, the extra grip would be hard to beat in a straight line time test."

If you're dumping the clutch from a stop, or in some cases powering out of a turn in which you don't have a lot of grip, yes. If wheelspin is not a problem, AND there was no extra driveline friction, sure, there would be no penlaty to AWD. But those are pointless "ifs", you might as well say lottery is a great investment except you lose most of the time.
  • Options
    dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    11 city & 17 hwy for the M5? And I was feeling guilty for having driven a "gas guzzling" SUV.
  • Options
    One reason that I have even noticed this sort of ‘acceleration 335xi vs 335i’ information ( and speculation ) is that according to the best information I can find, the 2008 335(s) are still not going to be available, even optionally, with a Limited Slip Differential.

As I stated elsewhere, that is one ( primary ) reason that I did not choose a 335 when last I purchased a new car.

My sense is that AWD will address this concern – at least to some degree.

There is at least a possibility ( OK, a probability – approaching certainty ) that if I bought a 335, the TT motor would have something like a Vishnu ‘tune’. And at least having 4 tires with traction would seem to make transmitting over 300 TQ to the pavement more viable – particularly when turning corners & accelerating at the same time.

My ** GUESS ** is that the better times come largely ( completely ) from being able to apply more throttle, more quickly with AWD. So that the launch ( and 60’ times ) will be better in the AWD \ xi.

I expect that someone will publish independent acceleration numbers for a 335xi, some time this Fall.

We shall see . . .
    - Ray
    Renewing interest in the 335 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I find myself thinking that if I was going to opt for a 335i that instead of the "xi" option, I'd go visit the kind folks over at Dinan and put one of their LSD rear ends in the car (I assume that they either have a 3-Series LSD already available or will in the not too distant future).

Best Regards,
    Shipo

Edit: I just checked and Dinan does not (yet) have any upgrade differentials for the E90, however, Hartge has what they call a "HARTGE variable differential lock, 0 - 100% for 335i with manual gear box". Hmmm, what the heck is a variable differential lock?
  • Options
    “Edit: I just checked and Dinan does not (yet) have any upgrade differentials for the E90, however, Hartge has what they call a "HARTGE variable differential lock, 0 - 100% for 335i with manual gear box". Hmmm, what the heck is a variable differential lock?”

While I also expected Dinan to be developing an LSD for the 335s, I do not even see any indication that they are working on such an item . .

- Ray
    Finding this rather odd . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    So, if a sumo wrestler was driving the 2WD and you were driving the AWD, guess who would win in the 1/4?!

You're assuming I weigh less than a Sumo wrestler? :blush:

Fortunately I do. But I think your point about extra grip and weight being equal is also offset by drivetrain loss. According to my dealer (former factory engineer), in the 911, there is an additional 4-5% drivetrain loss with the AWD system. Equating to about 15 horsepower in the "S" model. Plus, in the case of the 911, you are already starting with a static 62% of the weight over the rear wheels. Upon acceleration, the dynamic weight shift probably takes that up to 75%. And with those massive 295/30 19" tires on the rear wheels, wheelspin is not that easy to induce.

I think the 50/50 weight balance and dynamics of the 3 series make better use of AWD than in the 911, at least as far as straight line acceleration goes. But in the 911, "losing" 15 horspower at the wheels and gaining 80-100 lbs to be able to give extra grip to the tires that only carry 25% of the weight doesn't appear to be a profitable trade-off. Again, in terms of straight line acceleration on dry pavement. I'd take a "4" over a "2" in snow in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Right. And again, AWD only helps acceleration when RWD would have resulted in wheelspin. So, clutch-dumping burnouts, yes. Passing in traffic or on the highway? Nope. Just extra friction and weight in that circumstance.
  • Options
    I know that the topic here is acceleration, but how does handling differ between the 335i and the 335xi? Given that the xi doesn't get the sport suspension, is there a real difference between the two? I certainly felt the difference between the regular 335i and the 335i with the sports package.
  • Options
    It is a matter of control to me in hard cornering. If you are a high-level driver (not a regular commuter) and you know advanced handling control (and are proficient at driving on a road course at 9/10's of any cars capability), RWD will no doubt have an edge given the exact set-up on an AWD twin. In other words, if 2 high-level drivers raced the Twins, AWD comes in 2nd ( unless the Sumo test intervenes, then all bets are off!).

Also, I had 2 opportunities to compare the'06 330i non-SP vs. my car ('06 330xi) and I KNOW the handling in my car prevailed.

Recently I had a 335i loaner, again non-SP, and the perception was the same to me although the front end weight was much more apparent in my car than the 335 in the turns.

The power in the 335 had the traction control engage on my turns since it was wet. The car is fast but as always, the added power needs to be handled with care in the 2WD version!

As habitat says, in the snow, AWD is AWESOME. With these Conti All-Weather's last winter, it stuck like glue with the 4 paws! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    One of the car mag's did a test of 10 or 12 cars at Laguna Seca with a F1 driver, he drove cars from the Mazadaspeed3 to the Porsche GT3 there was a 335i coupe in there also. The 335i didnt fair very well as the driver said the weight was felt around the race track. But he did like the Mitsh Evo alot as you can SLIDE it around the corners, in fact he stated that the EVO was the fastest out of the last corner and that car is AWD...
  • Options
    I wonder what you would think of the 335i with the SP. I am definitely nowhere near a high level driver, but even I could tell the difference between a car with the SP and one without. But it could be the difference in tires and sport seats rather than the sport suspension. In that case, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the RWD and the AWD.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    My guess is the whole entry level lux sports sedan segment has the same issue: weight. G35/G37, 350 335i, A4,... none of them make serious track cars. The EVO is not really a serious street car, some models totally devoid of creature comforts including ABS. I saw a segment on the car beating a Ferrari, it was mentioned the EVO managed a meager 4mpg.
This discussion has been closed.