Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Engine and Underhood Problems

scottzo6scottzo6 Posts: 1
i have a 99 sonoma 4.3 2wd recently my oil has sludged up three to for times within 2 weeks when i would start the truck in the morning it sounded like the motor was coming apart Any one know if the oil cooler can crack inside the radiator causing coolant to get in the oil????al the sludge seems to be around the filter and in the cooler lines

Comments

• In the process of selling my truck to future buyer when I decovered the oil leaks on the cooler hoses. Call dealer for recall possibility---no such luck with GMC. Dealers says $500 to FIX! When I checked Google I found suggestions on totally removal of Lines & Plugging openings. What shall I do?
  • In the process of selling my truck to future buyer when I decovered the oil leaks on the cooler hoses. Call dealer for recall possibility---no such luck with GMC. Dealers says $500 to FIX! When I checked Google I found suggestions on totally removal of Lines & Plugging openings. What shall I do? ( Mileage 55K )
  • curtisacurtisa Posts: 2
    i have replaced fuel pump and filter even changed spark plugs bu it does not help can you help me has 2.8 liter 5 speed manual trans.
  • mrexfordmrexford Posts: 2
    i have a 95 s-10 that looses its antifreeze/water with no signs of leaking on the ground. i have been told it could be my freeze plugs. there is no water in the oil. oil changes are regular. so where is it going. no smoke from the tailpipe. it just smells hot all the time even when i maintain fluids. any answers?
  • donniem2donniem2 Posts: 2
    History: 4.3 v6, Check engine light on for about a week. Went off last time I drove it. Would not start, beat on tank and it started. Got it home, no sound from fuel pump. removed bed, removed fuel pump, connected 12v source to pump, pump ran fine. Using a test light I don't get power at the fuel pump connector, at least I don't think so. 3 sec. not alot of time to check.

What should I check next? Which is f/pump relay? Where is ECM B fuse?
  • ok. so exactly what is it doing? dying while traveling up-hill, or just not going up the hill?
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    What size engine? Did you discover yet where the antifreeze is going?
  • stevenf20stevenf20 Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 1999 GMC with the Vortek 4600, heaby duty suspension and locking rear axle. The truck is rated for 16-21 MPG, but I am only getting 13.5 and I do not do city driving.

Is something wrong??
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I have a 2000 S10 with the V6. I generally get 19 to 22 mpg on the highway. If your vehicle is 4WD, then you'll get less. If it's 2WD, then I would change the fuel filter and put some gas treatment into the tank the next time you fill up. Good luck.
  • stevenf20stevenf20 Posts: 3
    Do you have the heavy duty rear end?

It is 4WD, but I would think that I should not get 6 MPG less beacuse of that. It is a small truck.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    My truck is a base model with the work truck package. I consistently get about 20 mpg on the highway. You should get better than 13.5 mpg. I suggest you check all the basic stuff first, like tire pressure. Good luck.
  • :confuse: i have a 1991 GMC Jimmy 4x4 s-15 with the 4.3L engine and it was used for plowing for about 11 years and now i inherited it and it has no get up and go... the truck runs good. i replaced the fluids and thermostat. ehxaust. and lower radiator hose. my dad (former owner) told me that the person who had it before him did some underhood work and might have put the wires on wrong and that that might be why it doesnt have much go. so im just wondering if there is anywehre i can go to see some wiring diagrams... like the distributor to the spark plugs. just so i can see if they are in the right locations.
    thanx
  • tjanzentjanzen Posts: 1
    Question: Can I replace my air injection exhaust manifold with a standard manifold (no air injection)?

My cracked manifold has air injection system ports. Unfortunately this manifold is rather rare and expensive ($276). I can get a standard manifold for $130 in town. The standard manifold doesn't have air injection system. Is the computer expecting this input to the exhaust? There's an oxygen sensor(s) downstream. The dealership thinks it's a CA emissions thing. Does the standard engine and the air injection engine use the same computer?
  • Donniem2, did you ever find the solution to your problem? I drive a 2001 GMC Sonoma, and it appears that I'm having the exact same problem. Please help if you can.
  • I recently bought a used 1998 S-10 pickup (didnt come with owners manual), and just spent an hour looking for the oil filter so I can change the oil but can't find the freakin' thing. Where is it? It is a 2.2 L engine.

Also there's a nearly empty white plastic jug on the front right side, just behind the battery. What is supposed to go in there? My guess is coolant since its around where the coolant place was for my car, and I didnt see anything else around that held coolant.
  • s the a easy way or method to getting to the wires and plug to change out? I seem to have a wire going bad on me. The shop changed the plugs after a service engine light can on, the wanted to change the wires, but I wasn't going to pay $200.00 for a set from them. The light went away and seemed to run fine for a couple days. Under a load the engine seems to knock a bit and a slight stall. So any ideas on how to get to the left side wire that you can't even see? lol
  • hello I have a 2002 GMC ZR2 4.3 and i have the same problem. I seem to be going thru coolant but i can't seem to find where its going. I do also have this gurgling sound coming from my heater core area only on acceleration. All fluids are at recomended levels so i don't know what else to try. Ray
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    You might try removing the wheel and going in over the upper A-frame. It worked for me. :)
  • hi i have an oil leak somewhere and i cant find it i changed my valve pan gasket and it still leaking on top of valve cover please help :(
  • Hi, Does anyone here know if I can put an older 4.3 in my 91 GMC Sonoma. I need to replace my motor. I found a 4.3 L out of an 85 that has been rebuilt, just not sure if it will work.

It seems like any 4.3 L should work, if I just used the long block. With my intake and throttle body.

I'm new to this truck so not sure what will work.

Any help will be appreciated. :sick:
  • I am having the same issue. I thought the fuel pump was going bad. Sometimes it would pump and sometimes not, so I replaced the pump, sending unit, and filter. It started up immediately after replacing the parts, but died about 5 miles later. Now it runs for a minute or two, then dies, and will start again if I let it sit (15-30mins). My only idea, is that maybe its not getting a signal from the ECM or maybe a bad relay. Any ideas?
  • I know I'm not the only one with this problem, but still haven't seen a definite solution to this problem in this forum yet! Here's my story: Truck was running great, then it suddenly died. Motor would crank over, but not fire up. Had towed to shop, hooked up to computer and told crank sensor was bad. Changed crank sensor and truck fired up with a bad miss on all cylinders. Checked computer again and said IAC was bad. Replaced that, no difference. Then proceeded to change cap, rotor, plugs, coil, ignition module, cam sensor, cleaned,but not replaced, EGR valve(VERY little carbon build-up plus no trouble code for it). Gave up and took to dealer who said injector's might be clogged and ran a cleaner through it that uses nitrogen to "pop" them clear. NO change. They said #2 and #4 were open, but all others were clogged. Said it be $1,000 to replace injectors. Took truck home and found a place that sent me a complete reconditioned assembly w/new pressure regulator for $219. Then put that one in and still no change. Took back to shop and checked fuel pressure, it was on low end of specs so I replaced that and still no difference. Oxygen sensors appear to work correctly as they are changing readings constantly. I'm at my wits end and do not wish to give up on it as the truck is in excellent shape w/240,000 miles(but only 40,000 on new GM long block that I had installed 2 years ago). Now keep in mind, after I changed the Crank sensor and IAC motor, the only code that shows up is random/multiple cylinder misfire. Anyone Have another idea?
    Back in 1999 I bought an 86 Lebaron convertible with the Chrysler 2.2 engine. The owner that I bought the car from replaced the engine with a 2.2 out of an 88 Dodge Shadow. He said the most important thing is to make sure the engine bolt patterns match. Although it's the same 4.3 engine, the bolt patterns may differ between an 85 and a 91. Good luck.
  • I have a 92 S-10 with a 2.8 in it.saturday i pulled it in the garage for a basic tune-up and oil change. changed the oil,distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,spark plug wires,air filter,fuel filter. went to start it up nothing happened rolled over like crazy but never fired.sunday re-installed all the old stuff that it started with when i pulled it in and nothing, rolls over no fire. so i replaced the coil and now only get yellow spark,any ideas i'm about out of them and the wife wants her car back. :mad: