Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Lots of Problems

Comments

• dimattei5dimattei5 Member Posts: 8
    This part will not be available for instal until after the first of the year. Contact your states attorney general office by email and they will look into for you. My car has now been in the shop for 81 days
  • blsdmomof2blsdmomof2 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you I will contact them today. I did speak to Ford today and they said the part should be in first week if Oct. I think they are just blowing smoke up my rear just to shut me up. I live in Simi Valley, CA. I spoke to another lady at the ford the other day and her Freestyle is in for the same thing. Throttle body. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the advise.
    You know I was thinking. You said your car is in under warranty, but what's warranty if they don't even HAVE the part to fix it. Did you pay for extendend warranty? I'm just frustrated that ford is even giving me a hard time to get a loaner. What year is your car? and how many miles do you have? Mine is 2006 with 48,000 miles.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The thing that gets me is that they are manufacturing the Taurus X, which I would imagine has the same part - so they're making the thing somewhere! "

Not necessarily. The Taurus X has a different engine, 3.5 vice the 3.0 in the Freestyle. So the parts are probably different.
    # 3 problems..sounds like the Throttle body and that is the part they are re-making right now and will not be ready for install till Jan..2010. My car has been sitting on a Ford lot for 83 days now waiting of this part..And they are doing nothing for me at all..I would get rid of the car while you still can..
    My husband and I have only bought Ford. The company makes good cars when they run..They DON'T take care of the customers. If you sell a car to someone they need to stand behind it. My car has been on Fords lot for 83 days now and it looks like it will be there till Jan 2010. That means I am out of a car for 6 months and still have to pay for it and also have a warranty on this car. That does not make for happy customers when they buy something and it doesn't work. They need to recall this Model due to many problems they can't fix. :lemon:
    Yes, the part is possibly different, because they knew it didn't work in the freestyle so they changed it in the Tarus. Now why don't they just admit ohh Ford made a mistake ands fix it. Can we all just open up a class action law suit? We all have the same problem and its just not fair that we just sit and wait. I could see waiting for a week or two but not over 83 days. Come on now.
    I contacted my states attorney. Whats next? Do I just sit and wait again.
  • davkat1davkat1 Member Posts: 4
    I know what you mean! My dealer in Alabama said it was going to cost me $761 and they were going to put a used Throttle Control on it. Why would I want a used one if mine has gone out a 50,000 miles? My wife uses this car to work out of and they will not even discuss giving us a loaner car. My service manager said he had no idea when the part would be available. That is what you want to hear from your dealership. Makes you want to buy another vehicle there doesn't it? :cry::cry:
    I have a Ford Freestyle with 50,000 miles that the Throttle Control just went out on. They are saying it is going to cost me $761 to get it fixed, but they have no idea when they will have the part in. Could be first of the year. I know I am in Alabama but come on now, this is insane. I have read some of the forums on here and see this is a huge problem. Is there anyone out there with any ideas or helpful hints. My wife uses this car to work out of, and cannot be without one. They will not even consider giving us a loaner car because it is out of its "Factory Warranty". I am just thinking with all of the problems they are having, they should try and help the customer. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry::cry::cry:
    I have posted MANY MANY complaints about my 2006 Ford Freestyle. Same thing Throttle body control. Parts not going to be available until Jan or Feb. 2010 if we are lucky, Which is so crazy they dont have a manufacture to make this part. What I've been researching is that the manufacture that made this part went bankrupt. SO Ford needs to find another manufacture then test the part. YADA YADA YADA. My throttle body went out at 48 thousand miles no its not under warranty, but no way was I going without a car. Ford agreed to pick up EVERY CENT of my rent a a car which I am going on about 46 days. My car has been in the shop for about 48 days. I can give you the number to ford which makes all decisions on the rent a cars. Maybe if you bug her enough she will pay for a rent a car. let me know. I can't believe Ford is getting away with this and not recalling this part!!!! URG so frustrating.!!!
    Thanks for the reply. YES Please give me the nunmber to Ford for the rental car. Maybe I can get something done with them. Thanks so much.... :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You are welcome to contact each other off the boards (mark your email public in your profile or use your CarSpace email), but please don't post phone numbers or names of customer service people on the forums. Numbers change and we get complaints and many people don't want their names posted on the net.

thanks!
  • wgroperwgroper Member Posts: 5
    I'm watching your thread with great interest. I've got an 05 SEL that my folks bought new. The engine has died maybe 5 times, most recently two weeks ago in central Florida. I believe each time it's happen it's been when coming to a stop. My father took it in under warranty, but of course they found nothing. I own the car now and this is the first time it's happened to me. I'd like to get to the bottom of it myself if possible, I'm a DIY'er.
  • edgargirledgargirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Five Hundred 2005---Been in shop since July13th 50,000 miles, Throttle Body on backorder...was Oct, then Dec, who knows now. I am getting no help, no car rental. Actually went and purchased a new car because I didnt have a vehicle.

I am interested in getting local news, and a recall. I have contacted the attorney generals office and now the Office of Defects Investigation....they can make Ford recall the part. Has anyone got an attorney yet? Really, this is crazy...
    I have contacted several lawyers about this situation..if you find one that will take the case he will have a lot of people to back the claims. My attorney general did nothing..
    I have contated several people but no one is returning my calls or e-mails. My car has been in the shop now since Sep 2. THIS IS JUST CRAZY.... Someone help...
  • jeanie4jeanie4 Member Posts: 3
    I dropped out of this message board for a while because the whole issue of Ford's poor service was making me crazy. Reading about others' misery was only reinforcing my own. My husband and I were fortunate to be able to trade my nonfunctional 2006 Freestyle and his wornout Ford 350 diesel truck circa 1992 for a new Toyota Tundra and a new Hundyai (sp?) Genesis. I have nothing but disgust for Ford and I will never even entertain the thought of owning another one. If you look at the number of types of Fords and discontinuation of models you'll be flabbergasted. It's as if Ford has ADHD. Couldn't that company just make a reliable product and stick with it?? Oh, well---when they can't keep customers............
    Hello again. From what I am seeing it will not let you post a phone number on this board. Will you please send it to my email at daviddonaldson2323@yahoo.com Thanks again for your help. :D
  • vernbassvernbass Member Posts: 2
    seems like i have a lot of company with 2006 freestyle power loss problems. mine began with one occurrence in highway traffic this past spring. engine would race but no power to drive train. wrench light went on. i nursed the car to a friend's house where i turned ignition off and let car sit for a couple of hours. upon re-starting, everything was fine. i called dealer the next morning and was told there was nothing they could do if wrench light or engine light was no longer on. was also told they had never heard of a problem such as this.
    problem did not occur again until middle of october, again in highway traffic. i pulled over to shoulder, turned ignition off then re-started car which seemed to re-set the computer. problem occurred 3 times within 15 minutes/wrench and engine lights both went on. i drove another 50 miles home worried about car dying in traffic.
    took car to dealer the next day and was told problem was a bad "megatronix" unit. $1,500.00 dollars and 1 week later, i picked car up from dealer. it ran great for 4 days then problem occurred again.
    took vehicle back to dealer and am now told that Ford is recommending a new transmission at the cost of over $4,500.00
    i feel at wits end and that they are just jerking me around. it appears that there are well documented, dangerous problems with the freestyle and ford should be held accountable for them.
    any suggestions on how to proceed as a group toward justice and restitution for this extremely dangerous problem?
    Just to let everyone know I got a call from ford yesterday. The throttle body part is being tested and should have the part mid Dec. (so they say) BUT I do have a rental from ford since Sep 9 and FORD is PAYING for it which is going to be around $3,000. YES Ford is paying the bill. Any questions please e-mail me. Morgan2665@aol.com
  • blue26blue26 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO I FEEL YOUR PAIN I WENT THROUGH THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1993 VW GOLF. FROM 1994 TO 1997 AFTER TRADING THE CAR IN IS WHEN I RECEIVED A LETTER TELLING ME WHAT CAUSE THE PROBLEM AND HOW TO FIX IT.
    THE CAUSE WAS GREEN ENGEN COOLANT THAT I PUT IN AFTER 50K MILES.
    THE FIX IS A $5 DOLLAR TEMP/SAFTY SENSOR.
    THIS SENSOR HAD 4 WIRES COMING FROM IT. 2 OF THE WIRE WENT TO DASH GAGE AND THE OTHER 2 WENT TO THE FUEL PUMP.
    WHEN THE SENSOR READS A HIGH TEMP IT TURNS OFF THE FUEL PUMP.

SO WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING 65MPH OR HIGHER THE PUMP TURNS OFF AND THE CAR JUST SUCK AIR WITH NO WARNING LIGHT ON IN DASH UNTILL THE CAR COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP.
    GOOD NEW!!! i PICKED UP MY CAR TODAY AND HE SAID THE THROTTLE BODY IS BE DISTRIBUTED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. MY CAR IS RUNNING GREAT.. I WAS LUCKY THE FORD PICKED UP MY TAB FOR MY RENTAL, IT WAS CLOSE TO $3,200.00 DOLLARS. OF COURSE THE DEALER MADE ME PAY $702.00 DOLLARS BUT BETTER THEN PAYING THE RENTAL BILL. GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU THAT ARE WAITING FOR THE PART.

IM THANKFUL JUST TO HAVE MY CAR BACK.......
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Posting messages in ALL CAPS is hard for some people to read and many people just skip over messages written in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tbertramtbertram Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2007 freestyle with the exact same problems yours has. what have you ended up doing?
  • dabard51dabard51 Member Posts: 1
    History:
    acquired a used 2005 Freestyle with 98k miles on it, and the family loves it.

June 2009: the engine began shutting off while driving... no warning, no "check engine" light, nothing. Took it to Ford, "no fault found", and no advice to do anything except keep driving.

It began to happen more frequently over the next month, finally (of course, on a long trip, away from home) took it to Ford #2, who reprogrammed the Engine Control Module... did not solve the problem. On the way home, the shutoff problem continued, so took it to Ford #3, who saw the "check Engine" light and diagnosed the defective throttle body. Of course, no spare available, so the only option was to limp it home.

Limped the car most of the way home, required a tow the final 30 miles.

January 2010: We have waited 6 months for the new throttle body to make it into distribution. It's installed, but the dealer now claims that the "limp" mode damaged the catalytic converter and needs replacement.

I'm highly aggravated that Ford could not diagnose this problem when first reported. That is a failure of their diagnostic design that unexpected shutdowns are apparently NOT stored in the on-board computer.

The unexpected shutdown is a safety hazard. So is, from what I read on this forum and other places, a lot of the other unexpected behaviors related to the TBA.

I encourage folks to contact not only Ford but NHTSA and complain about your documented throttle body problems. The web link is www dot NHTSA dot gov, click on the complaints button.
  • vernbassvernbass Member Posts: 2
    sorry to be so delayed in responding to your post. i nolonger check this board as i traded my freestyle (unable to be driven safely) back into the dealer toward a new ford edge. this seemed like the only possible way to recoup some of the repair money that didn't solve the problem. i like the dealer and salesman i've bought from for several years. the service department had been excellent in the past but major personel changes unfortunately brought with them an extreme decline of integrity. so far, i'm very happy with the ford edge but time will reveal the truth on this vehicle also.
  • loyds77loyds77 Member Posts: 2
    Once again more ford problems. My 2005 ford freestyle just quit today no warning. After having the car scanned by dealer no codes were present. after sitting all night it started. they called to pick it up. NO Start again does anyone have any idea why ...
  • abessengerabessenger Member Posts: 10
    What is the number? My throttle body on my used 2005 Ford Freestyle that I bought in Nov, needs to be replaced and even though I bought the extended warranty they said it was not covered. What's the point in buying an extended warranty if problems of their doings, not mine, has erupted? Sounds a little fishy to me. Who do I fuss with about the problem? With all of these people complaining about the problem, it looks like a recall ought to be put in place. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • madden322madden322 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2006 - and my throttle body WAS ABSOLUTELY COVERED by my extended warranty. I will find my receipt or get a copy from the dealership if you need it. That is complete baloney - but I have heard that they have, in the past, been on backorder (so be prepared for that).

Talk to the service manager, ask to see your complete extended warranty contract if you cannot get your hands on it.

Good luck -
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    There are always different levels of extended warranties, so just because it was covered for one person doesn't mean that it's covered under every extended warranty.
    "There are always different levels of extended warranties, so just because it was covered for one person doesn't mean that it's covered under every extended warranty."

Correct in general, but I think most people are speaking of the Ford extended warranties, NOT aftermarket. I believe all those warranties cover the engine and transmission at the minimum. The more expensive ones will cover more items, but those two are in all of them. After that it is a matter of what deductible the owner pays.
    Even under the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) there are different levels, and while some components of the transmission are covered under one level, a more extensive list of components are covered under the more expensive level. And if it's determined that a particular module is a maintenance item, than it's not covered at all.

I had an experience with one of the sensors going bad in the transmission. It wasn't covered by my ESP, but ended up being one of the components covered by the 80,000 mile standard emissions warranty.

It's all way too complicated.
    "Even under the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) there are different levels, and while some components of the transmission are covered under one level, a more extensive list of components are covered under the more expensive level. And if it's determined that a particular module is a maintenance item, than it's not covered at all.

I had an experience with one of the sensors going bad in the transmission. It wasn't covered by my ESP, but ended up being one of the components covered by the 80,000 mile standard emissions warranty. "

I did some checking and you are correct, the more expensive plans DO cover more. The URL below lists ESP coverages. I'm using PremiumCare for my 2008 FEH, so it doesn't really matter to me, but people should check the coverages they want before purchase. Thanks for the heads up.

ESP Transmission Coverage
  • alexapfalexapf Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle with a throttle body that needs to be replaced. The 3/36 warranty expired in March 2010. My vehicle has had many issues in the past that were covered by the 3/36 warranty. I bought the ESP Elite Plus, paid $1998 and now I am being told that because the throttle body is part of the emissions it is not covered.

To make matter worse I am being told that the item is in National back order. Now, in order to order the part I had to pay for it up front but they don't have it!!! and they had to know they did not have but now they have my money.

I bought this car in part because one of my best friends who has young children like me bought a 2006 Freestyle and I drove it and liked it. My friend relocated I called him today and guess what? he had the same acceleration issue that required a throttle body replacement. He had to wait four months to get the part!!!!!
    because the item was in National back order in 2009 s well!!!

PLEASE HELP how did you get them to cover the throttle body and how do I make them pay for a rental or give me a loaner I am afraid to drive the car the acceleration is getting worse
    I wonder with the amount of complaints with this part, this vehicle, and with the scams with the ESP if any legal agency or attorney would be interested in collecting the data and file lawsuit on behalf of all of us!!!!!! for deceitful practices :mad:
    edited July 2010
    "have a 2007 Ford Freestyle with a throttle body that needs to be replaced. The 3/36 warranty expired in March 2010. My vehicle has had many issues in the past that were covered by the 3/36 warranty. I bought the ESP Elite Plus, paid $1998 and now I am being told that because the throttle body is part of the emissions it is not covered.

To make matter worse I am being told that the item is in National back order. Now, in order to order the part I had to pay for it up front but they don't have it!!! and they had to know they did not have but now they have my money."

ESP Elite Plus? When I bought the ESP warranty for my FEH last year, they only had 4 types
    * PremiumCARE
    * ExtraCARE
    * BaseCARE
    * PowertrainCARE

But maybe they are different for the Freestyle or have changed since 2007. I don't see "Throttle Body" in the current PremiumCare list, but maybe it is exclusive to the CVT.
  • mrachedimrachedi Member Posts: 6
    We had wrench dash light come on three times couple of weeks ago. We had extended ESP with ford. Mileage + 73198.Throttle body replaced and covered under extended warranty. Cost was our $50 deductible with total cost over $600 to ford warranty coverage.

We were told part was on back order but KC MO suburban dealer found part and after four hour wait drove off same day we took it in for problem.

9926A E29 42 throttle body air intake replace 9E926
    12650D Quick test diagnosis
    12650DX1 Quick test diagnosis
    6F9Z 9E926 A Kit throttle control

TEST AND REPLACE THROTTLE BODY
  • lady_mimlady_mim Member Posts: 1
    I own at the moment a 2004 Freestar, that I thought I would keep for another year or so, but in May I had a complete transmission failure which has been fixed twice and now I am told that my actual transmission problem stems from a failing computer, which would add another $1000 or so to my list. :cry:

Now my dealer has offered me to trade my 2004 Freestar for a 2007 Freestyle, since I need a versatile vehicle for my kids and my business.

After reading some of the posts here I am becoming scared, but this IS the problem section, so what to expect....

Can anyone give me a list of questions I should ask my dealer about the Freestyle, deatails that I need to check? They are offering me $8000 as a trade-in value for my Freestar and the Freestyle has about 63000 km. With a price tag of 17,988.00 plus tax and fees. We are talking Canadian Dollars here, but that is beside the point.

I like the car, but am not sure what to do. My car is at the dealership, I am unwilling to drive it at the moment. I need a reliable car asap. Anyone who has some suggestions? :confuse:

Thanks, Mim
    " like the car, but am not sure what to do. My car is at the dealership, I am unwilling to drive it at the moment. I need a reliable car asap. Anyone who has some suggestions?"

See if they can get you a 2008 Taurus X. It is the same body style, but has the 6 speed transmission.
  • kieracmkieracm Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a brand new 2007 ford freestyle and now after 72,000 miles and many other problems that I had to fix on my own because I didn't purchase the warranty, I had to take it today to the dealership because of the Throttle Body that needs to be replaced. This will cost me about $1,000.00. My car is accelerating on it's own, the wrench light comes on after the acceleration, and I loose power all together. I am forced to shut off the vehicle, wait a couple of minutes and start the car back on. Just imagine this situation on a busy highway...

The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life...
    The emissions warranty is 80,000 miles and comes standard on the car, so look in your emissions warranty book that came with the car to see if the part is located there.

I had a problem with a Transmission Control Module that wasn't covered by my ESP but was covered under the emissions warranty, so it was fixed without any cost to me.
    My Ford Freestyle is a 2006 and I bought it used form a Toyota place last October. It had 72,000 miles on it.I bought a warranty but the one offered to me does not cover the throttle body unlike the one offered if the vehicle is used but has less than 70,000 miles on it. I was told by Ford that I ought to get the number and call and complain and maybe they would do a recall or something.
    I got screwed buying the only extended warranty they offered to me, but they also told me that they had someone come in complaining about the same issue with another Ford two weeks before I did.
    It is time something be done before someone is killed in an accident caused by the throttle sticking.
    Thanks so much for the number and you can be sure I am going to call!
  • kieracmkieracm Member Posts: 5
    They never give you the full details...before this freestyle, i used to own a ford expedition. I purchase the most expensive and more comprehensive plan they offered (about $4,900.00) thinking that I would be covered for pretty much everything...however, when things started to happen and needed to be repaired, they found a way to go around it and not pay for the work and parts..for instance: my driver side glass was off track and was not going up or down. Well, the problem is that the little metal bracket that holds the glass together in place was broke and needed to be replaced. The glass was covered under the warranty, however the little bracket was not. In order to get my window fixed, I had to purchase the entire unit (glass and bracket which came up to about $970.00) as they don't fix or sell the bracket by itself... they are a major rip-off. that's the reason why I didn't purchase extended warranty for my new car.
    link">
    Everybody in this site should complain to DOT and we can definately make a difference and stop them from continuing to rip-us off over and over again.
    If you choose to pursue the Freestyle ask the dealer about the warranty, of what it does and doesn't cover and try to get the highest level of warranty they have. By that I mean they had to sell me the warranty based on the mileage of the used Freestyle. They sold me a level 3, which does not cover the throttle body being replaced. The next level does, but it is offered to customers at this dealership if the vehicle has not gone over 72,000 miles. My truck was 72,846 so they sold me the level 3 and I am now screwed, but I will say thanks for the phone number to the NHTSA (1--888-327-4236). I called and complained so maybe Ford will do a recall.
    I had a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and never had any problems! That is why I chose another Ford.
  • r_42r_42 Member Posts: 4
    I just called the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and filed a complaint. We all need to do this to get this problem resolved. Whether or not you have an extended warranty or not.There needs to be a recall on this issue. This is as bad as the Toyota problem and peoples lives are at stake. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues.
    "I just called the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and filed a complaint. We all need to do this to get this problem resolved. Whether or not you have an extended warranty or not.There needs to be a recall on this issue. This is as bad as the Toyota problem and peoples lives are at stake. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. "

You missed a step. "After they review the complaint and determine it is a valid design problem that affects many vehicles ..."

On this forum we tend to see the problems, but they sold a lot of Freestyles and most have not had the issues. The Toyota problems were also on vehicles that were pretty new. The FS hasn't been produced since 2007.
  • kberly531kberly531 Member Posts: 6
    I too have the same issue, I see that yours was in Oct of 2009, how long did it take to fix? They are telling me they dont have the part either and dont know when they will be getting one, maybe be a couple of weeks, WFT! I need my car, why isnt Ford making parts for their cars, doent make since. Of course my car is out of warranty too, so its going to cost $800 to fix it.
  • catcountycatcounty Member Posts: 3
    My 07 FS was diagnosed w/ the proverbial throttle body issue this week. Part will cost approx. $525, is on back order w/ no ETA listed. AND it requires pre-payment. This is ridiculous! $500+ pre-payment for a part they can't tell you when will arrive??? I called Ford customer care this afternoon, the lady was very nice but confirmed this information was correct but even she agreed it didn't seem right. She escalated it up the ladder and I am to receive a call w/in 2 business days. I will post what I find.
  • kberly531kberly531 Member Posts: 6
    I dont have to prepay anything but I am being told that the part may be in on their shipments over the next few days, they never know what they are getting on the truck. It wasnt on the friday truck, grrr...
  • trotterdog69trotterdog69 Member Posts: 3
    Who is your extended warranty through?