Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• hemidurangohemidurango Member Posts: 1
    Hi;

I am encountering the same problem, 10,000 miles. Did you get a resolution to this?
  • diddid Member Posts: 2
    I had all the parts the guy before suggested replaced. It didn't work the day I got it back, so sent it back. They claimed the computer didn't show any problems and has mysteriously worked ever since.
  • d2005sltd2005slt Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen this issue on the 2005 SLT. I've had this issue and another where you would lose air-conditioning and heat (no air coming out of the vents) but you hear the front blower motor working. You turn off the AC for a while and turn it back on and it works fine. Dealer thinks I'm crazy
  • the_ronsterthe_ronster Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new key for my 2004 Durango today. It opens the door and starts the engine fine. When I got home, I tried to program it, but it would not take a code. Not only that, the other key that I had ( have three, now only one works) no longer works the locks. All keys start the vehicle, but only one operates the locks. First, how do I find out if I have sentry key, Im guessing I dont otherwise I would know right? Second, if I followed the directions in the manual, what else could be wrong? When I got to the part when you press the lock and unloce and release on the key to be programmed, nothing happend (should get a chime). Tried both keys, nothing worked. Please help me out quick, I gotta turn the car in tomorrow for a remote start. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
  • the_ronsterthe_ronster Member Posts: 2
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Seems that the owners manual is wrong. Instead of hitting unlock and lock together and releasing, you have to hit unlock and panic on the key to be programmed (just like the key that you are programming from). Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
  • donvitidonviti Member Posts: 5
    Hello...Quick Question...

Recently my airconditiong stopped working on anything but High...the heater doesn't work either...what is the issue?
    I guess it would help if I said I have an 01 Durango, XLT and the Vents, A/C and Heat only blow on High.

Any guesses as too what the cause is?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Climate Control Problems--All Cars while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
  • cushing1cushing1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 SLT (not hemi) but I have noted it was getting harder to start (2 or 3 turns of the key). After 2 trips to the dealer they have diagnosed as a bad fuel pump -apparently it won't hold pressure between the tank and engine.
    I had a 2000 Durango (now have a 2004) and had the front ball joints replaced 2X. First time under regular warranty and the second under extended ;}
    In my old Durango they had to put in "inserts" into thee leaf springs because it was thumping when I came to a stop.
    In my old durango there was fluid thatwas leaking onto the rear brakes extending breaking times. It was a simple warranty fix.
    I had the seat tick (actually more like a clunking sound) in my 2004 SLT (non-hemi).

Simple warranty fix (they seemed to know what the problem was)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In my old durango there was fluid thatwas leaking onto the rear brakes extending breaking times.

Actually, you shortened the breaking time but extended the braking time!

(Sorry - I couldn't resist! :) )

tidester, host
  • biglou11biglou11 Member Posts: 2
    Hey :(

I have had an Avital 4300 installed in my 2003 Dodge Durango SLT by an authorized dealer. I encountered the problem of vehicle turning off after several seconds of engaging the remote starter. The problem only occurs when vehicle is cold, the remote start stays on shortly after the truck has been driven. But that pretty much defeats the purpose of a remote starter, if you cant turn on your vehicle to warm the engine in the winter. Well, the car shop has replaced the Avital system with a Prestige system and still the same problem. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is it a code they need from Dodge? Any help will be appreciated.
  • numbskull08numbskull08 Member Posts: 1
    My auxilary power outlet in the front works, but the one in the back is dead. I can't find any reference to it in the owner's manual, or on the fuse panel covers. Someone help me out here, where are the fuses for these things? THANKS
  • steve38steve38 Member Posts: 11
    Please help. Nothing in owners manual.
    If anyone comes across this problem. I was able to fix it. It was a blow resistor. a $10 part. The resistor is located underneath the glove box for an 01 Durango. 2 5/16 bolts can be a removed with a narrow 2 1/2 inch long socket wrench. If I can do it anyone can.
  • steve38steve38 Member Posts: 11
    Please tell me what fuse is for the radio? The fuse panel does not tell you which one it is, and neither does the owners manual. Amazing how stupid Dodge is for not including simple fuse information.
  • kyrepomankyrepoman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 durango my guages will not work no oil no tach no speed no temp nothing but if it is cold out side like 20 to 25 degrees they work change clusters no help lights on dash work turn signals work someone told can be a ground wire where the ground wire for the cluster please help driving me nuts thanks :sick: :cry::(:(
  • junebug8junebug8 Member Posts: 2
    YES!!! I took mine to our local dealer & they ran it through a computer update to correct the problem. It fixed it for about 10 months & then it did it again. Sometimes it resets itself after the engine is turned off and on.
  • junebug8junebug8 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 blue durango has the black running boards & the black rear bumper top. They are turning WHITE. Is anyone else having problems with this. The dealer says it's because it got wax on it. NEVER had wax applied to my Durango. ..... When the dealer tried to scrap the white stuff off, it made the bumper shinny & very slick/smooth. Took the little bumps off of it. Now they want to call in a rep from Chrysler to look at it before they will do anything.
  • hockeyfan2hockeyfan2 Member Posts: 3
    I too, have a 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi that is blowing hot air after several minutes of using the air conditioner. So far the AC has been recharged, the overhead compass/temp has been replaced, and infrared sensor and compressor module have been replaced. The dealership said they don't know what else to do.
    How frustrating! I've had it in the shop six times already for this issue and they cannot figure it out. Did you get a resolution for your situation? Please help!
  • jimqjimq Member Posts: 14
    On my 2005 Durango its a pink 25 amp. There is only 2 of them on the fuse panel. One for the Raidio that is located in a bank of other smaller amperage fuses and one that is closer to the front of the vehicle with no fuses immediately above is for the infinity amp if so equipped .
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I traded in my defunct '99 Ford Explorer for an '02 Durango R/T a week ago, and took deliver of the vehicle this past Tuesday. Tonight, after having a while to go over everything under the hood, checking all fluids and checking the air filter, the engine light came on. It runs just fine, and I checked the gas cap. Any other ideas? I absolutely love this truck, and it's such an upgrade from the Explorer. I do wish it got a little better mileage but thats the price you pay for that big 360 under the hood.

Also, I am replacing the stock body color grill with an aftermarket chrome grill. The original is damaged due to a tree limb falling on the front of the vehicle (previous owner). Dealer quoted me $197 for a new factory grill, but I've seen the aftermarkets on ebay for as little as $62 including shipping. What do you guys think?
  • ohiodurangoohiodurango Member Posts: 1
    I am experienceing wind noise on the drivers side door. All my seals seem to be in place but when I drive above 25 mph is sounds like the window is cracked open. I did a leak test and I bought deflectors to see if that would help but no luck. Anyone else having this problem?
  • renee4001renee4001 Member Posts: 1
    have a problem with a/c on duango everything on system works but when we charge system after a day the front does not work then the next day the back has no cool; air have changed front hoses and o-rings but after changing o-ring again the same thing happens
  • 270wv270wv Member Posts: 4
    Driving an '04 SLT, 4.7L with 31,000 miles on the clock. I was wondering if anyone else thought it is a bit excessive that Dodge recommends spark plug replacement every 30,000 miles, regardless of which maintenance schedule you follow. Does anybody know if they use a standard or platinum plug, and what their reasoning is for plug replacement every 30K?
  • fowlarfowlar Member Posts: 2
    I Love my D too. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Hauled 4 adults & a 6 year old with luggage and Christmas presents from Tennessee to California!
  • fowlarfowlar Member Posts: 2
    My Durango '01 has been overheating. Having trouble replacing the temperature gauge. Any suggesting
  • denimo1denimo1 Member Posts: 13
    My 2004 Limited also has 2 patches of white on the rear black plastic bumper top.

Havent been to the ealer with it yet.
    I had same experience with my 04 Hemi D. I'd done mostly (95%) highway driving around BC and no towing. So I was concerned when, after they'd been skimmed at 20,000k to cure the shudders, they started to do it again from 25,000k. The dealer offered me new factory or aftermarket rotors (my cost) but gave me a credit for the skimming charge. I chose the bigger slotted a'mkt ones and they are way better than the originals! I always felt the factory front brakes felt weak and too small for the vehicle. With these new ones the truck feels right and I predict the rotors will last longer than 26,000k's.

Incidentally, the dealer told me they'd had several similar problems with the new D and the new Dakota.

Denimo

P.S. a K&N aircharger does help with economy, I'm getting 21-23mpg on the highway.
    My 2004 Hemi D had the same problem from new to about 3000k. It took the dealer hours of swapping this and that part out of other D's on the lot and lots of annoying breakdowns, including one truck ride into an out of town dealer.

The problem was eventually traced to a faulty battery, a manufacturing fault is all they said. Have them try a new battery if they haven't fixed the problem yet.

Denimo
    Try the battery, I had the same problem with my 04 Hemi D.

Denimo
  • nater2197nater2197 Member Posts: 1
    We just recently purchased an '04 with the 5.7 engine and have had the same thing happen three times now. In fact, on two occasions we had to shift out of drive since the brakes wouldn't stop it fast enough. Quite alarming...It has always happened when driving slowly and foot off the accelerator.
    We realize your original post is over 18 months old, but its the only post we've found that mentions this problem. Have you had recurrences and did you ever get a resolution? Have you heard from anyone else? We are notifying the dealer tomorrow, and remain somewhat hesitant to drive it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We realize your original post is over 18 months old...

Just in case you were relying on a reply from durangova, he hasn't signed onto the the forums in about a year. With a little luck, perhaps someone else can help out?

tidester, host
  • rr3rr3 Member Posts: 1
    Help!!!,

2001 Dodge Durango 85,000 miles, 5.9L.

1) June/05 check engine light miss-fire on number piston number five. Change spark plugs and wires.
    2) July/05 Check engine light Catalytic, oxygen sensor or no vacuum. New Catalytic

Last week the Check engine light again. Same code Catalytic, oxygen sensor or no vacuum.

Symptoms: Loose of power, Shifting problems (If I accelerate to fast it will not shift until a take the foot from the pedal, However if I accelerate but not past the 2000 rpm at any time the shifting is fine but not good speed)

Any suggestions

Thanks
    RR3
  • redddreddd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 dd that is doing the exact same thing. The blower blows less and less air after the ac has been running a while. I have found that if I turn off the compressor button, the air flow returns to normal after a few minutes. Then I push the compressor button and all is normal for a while and then the scenario repeats. It's like something is freezing up! Please let me know if you find an answer to the problem. It's going back to shop AGAIN tomorrow.
  • rgngrgng Member Posts: 10
    We purchased our 99 Durango new and fully loaded with the 5.9 engine. Overall the truck was not a high or low maintenance vehicle, also some odd things would occaisonally need fixing. We put 98k miles on it and always maintained it at the dealer. Recently needed some front end work. A few months later needed more front end work and we noticed that the valves seemed to be clattering upon acceleration. Dealer said we needed new intake manifold gasket, oil pan gasket as well as some other work. The repair total was going to be around $1800. We decided that it was time to part with the vehicle rather than start feeding the repair bills. We just did not have the confidence level that we could continue to get relatively repair free miles above 100k.

Overall, we liked the vehicle power, but it was tough to justify the mileage issue since we were not doing much towing.
  • d2005sltd2005slt Member Posts: 2
    I have not had a chance to put in the shop yet for this. You have described my problem to the "T". Please update if you hear anything else about this. I will do the same. I'm up for an oil cahnge real soon. Thats when I will have them check it
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    (Yes I realize I'm replying to my own message, but I thought it would make it easier for you guys to reference my comments)

I still have the check engine light on, I haven't had a chance to get that checked. I am going to take it to Auto Zone tomorrow and have them check it.

Also, I have discovered some gear oil on my driveway and appears to be coming from either the transmission or transfer case, and also what appears to be power steering fluid leaking. I checked both power steering and transmission fluid and both are full. This one puzzles me. I do have to say though, the entire time I had the Explorer it never leaked. I've had this thing 2 weeks and already I have a driveway stain.
  • netm00senetm00se Member Posts: 1
    I have the premium stereo in my 2005 Durango. I'm not sure exactly what the nomenclature is for it, but it is the 6-disc changer/mp3 player that is satellite ready.

I bought the Durango used, and the day I picked it up the CD player did not work. It would not load, eject, or even go into "CD" mode. I don't know if there were CDs in it from the previous owner or not. Dodge replaced the stereo, but within a month the new stereo was doing the same thing, but now with five of my CDs in it.

They symprtoms are: it will not load or eject CDs. When the "Mode" button is pressed it goes to Satellite mode instead of CD mode. Repeated presses of the Mode button leaves it in Satellite mode. When the Durango is "off" the stereo constantly tries to do something mechanical; almost like it is trying to eject the discs but cannot. The mechanical noises stop when the power is on.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • tommessiertommessier Member Posts: 1
    Good day everyone!!

I've got a 2000 "Dango", as my daughter calls it, with a power window issue. Occasionally, the driver window will not roll up or down. Turn the key off, restart the vehicle, and then it works! Anyone else have/had that problem and if so, what was the fix?

Any info would be helpful....I did the on-off-on-off-on thing and no codes came up...showed "p-done".

Thanks
  • redddreddd Member Posts: 2
    It looks like my problem was due to moisture in the a/c system which probably happened when the expansion valve was changed at 300 miles. The service manager at the appliance store where I worked suggested this and I passed it along to the dealer service advisor. They vacuumed the system and put my freon back in. It is blowing much colder but I will have it on the road over Labor Day and that's when I'll really know if they have it fixed. Will let you know. Thanks for the reply
  • klazarklazar Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I recently traded in my F350 for a 2000 DD 5.2 V8 2wd. Going from a vehicle that can easily tow a two-horse trailer to the Durango has me a bit nervous to hitch up. I do have the factory tow package on my Durango. My question is this:
    With the Durango I have, is it capable of *safely* towing a 3,200lb trailer with a 1,300lb horse in it? Would I need to beef up anything (other than getting spring work done) or is the vehicle fine to tow with. I appreciate any advice/ recommendations. Thank you!
  • mcclanahanmcclanahan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 durango and I'm having a problem with the driver side window, it goes down a little and then you have to bang on the panel of the door with your leg to get it to go up or down. When we purchased this brand new, there was a recall on a couple of the other windows, but there wasn't any recall for the driver's side window.
  • robdurango04robdurango04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 durango with a 5.7 hemi engine. I have only about 6000 miles on it.
    since about 1500 miles the brakes have felt funny and squeak. (metal to metal sound) brought it to dealer 3 times. Gave me BS story. Problem is When I been backing out of driveway, I know I put into drive but when take foot off brakes and go to give it a little gas truck jolts and is going in reverse. first 2 times thought it was me. Till today when it happen again and this time with damage to truck. anyone else find this happening. My hubby Drove it this past week and was in drive and truck wasn't moving he thought trans was going.
  • shanewoodallshanewoodall Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I am not the only moron(as the thinks).
    I am having the same exact problem and the fixes are the same.
    1st time they changed the high pressure sensor.
    2nd time they changed the fan.
    3rd time they they spoke to chrysler who told them to evacuate the ac system and recharge it.
    4th time they took 2oz of freon out of the system
    5th time they said it was a loose fuse that caused the temp sensor to fail.
    now we are taking with chrysler about buying it back.
    sad thing is we like our durango, we just want the a/c to work.
    we also have a 2000 durango that has never had any problems and it has 135000 miles.

Sweating in Texas
  • huntinghawkhuntinghawk Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2001 Durango SLT Plus 4X4 with the 4.7L, AWD. I have put the Road Master Suspension System on it and I tow a 27 foot travel trailer that weighs 4,800 lbs empty and approximately 6,800 lbs loaded. I have the tow package with the 3.55 axle and I have all synthetic oils in the unit with a K&N filter. I have put approximately 10,000 kms (6,000 miles) on it with the trailer with no problems what so ever, no overheating, nothing. (Knock on wood) Your unit with the 5.2 and being a 2wd should be fine with that trailer and horse provided you have the tow package. The heavy duty cooling, trans cooler and charging system of the tow package prepares your unit for towing such loads without causing any undo wear or damage to the powertrain. I would make sure when you have the trailer and horse hooked up that your unit rides level as most do not realize that when a unit is out of level that it can cause a lot of problems with handling and stress to components of your truck. An equalizer hitch is a must with a trailer and load you have and if properly set up you should not need additional spring work. Hope this helps, remember that a trans cooler is a must when towing anything, keep your unit level and always check your tire pressure and load range. Happy towing.
  • huntinghawkhuntinghawk Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 2001 Durango SLT Plus 4X4 with the 4.7L, AWD. Recently it has started surging on startup. I start it and it will rev up to almost 2000 rpms then come back down for a second and the start to fluctuate between 500 and 1500 rpms without touching the accelerator or anything. It will also do this when I put it into reverse or drive for the first few seconds then it will stop. Also I have noticed a almost stalling situation when the vehicle is cold, it will slow down to under 500 rpms and then seem to recover and come back up. It hasn't fully stalled yet but it feels like it is wanting to stall when it does this. Has anyone else encountered these problems and if so what have you done to fix it or what is the problem that is causing this to happen? I have heard it could be the tps, throttle position sensor, but it is just a guess. Any comments would be helpful, thanks. :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.