Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• gb2008gb2008 Member Posts: 5
    Ok I think you are getting a good deal I am buying mines from a used car dealer for about $2k less than yours but you are getting a CPO from a BMW dealer.. Take the deal
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I stand corrected

Don't feel too bad; I just drove a 2005 545i with SMG and it sucked every bit as hard as the SMG I had in my 645i press loaner.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gb2008gb2008 Member Posts: 5
    Ok roadburner you should be able to help me out can you tell me how is the auto mode? and do I have to shift up and down when in Manual mode?
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Odd... the VIN plate indicates 530iS and the trunk badge indicates 545i. Have seen the Sport Auto with paddle shifters, etc. in the US, never a SMG on the 530. SMG not available in 2008! Seems fishy to me to show 2 model designations on the same car...
    Ok roadburner you should be able to help me out can you tell me how is the auto mode? and do I have to shift up and down when in Manual mode?

Auto mode is nowhere near as smooth as a DSG or a true automatic. The shifts are slow and you feel a slight lurch as the transmission upshifts(downshifts are OK). As for manual mode, the SMG will override your shift inputs if they would cause the engine to over-rev. You really need to drive one to see if you could live with/tolerate its unique characteristics. Me, I could probably endure the SMG fitted to the ///M cars if I had to, but the SMG fitted to the garden variety cars would be a deal-breaker for me.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• bimmerlustbimmerlust Member Posts: 2
    My husband & I plan to buy a used '08 5 series next year. We've test driven both 535 and 550. We both LOVE the 550, but need some justification for paying so much more when the 535 is such a great car. For long-term resale value my thought was that there will be fewer 550's on the road 10 years from now and as such it would appeal more to the hobbyist buyer who likes older BMW's. Also, the 550 Sport comes equipped with the M faschia and awesome wheels which I think would make it more appealing to a potential buyer when it's an older car. Am I right? So which car would hold a higher % of its original value, the 535 or the 550? BTW, we do plan to purchase a vehicle that is equipped with the sport package.
  • blksapwit19blksapwit19 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds ok Im trying to get into a 05 525i for 26.5k
  • optimusprime21optimusprime21 Member Posts: 2
    Just a quick update for those interested in purchasing a similar car in the near future:

After some negotiating, I closed my deal for $26.5k. I kept stalling and waited until the last day of the month in order to get the best possible price. Good luck with your purchase!
  • bimmerlustbimmerlust Member Posts: 2
    Do you think waiting until the last day of the month had an impact on the price you were able to obtain?
  • jahayjahay Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 1994 530i and have been told it is a "4 wheel drive". I thought the all wheel drives were "xi" or does that come later? It has a lot of miles on it, 222,000 but the price seems right and I know these vehicles have long life...I live in Northern Michigan and am concerned about heavy snow and icy roads with this vehicle...thus the 4 wheel drive. Help and thank you!
    Unless that 530i is a gray market car-very unlikely-it is NOT AWD. Period. That said, the 5ers of that vintage have a very good traction control system. Buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels and you'll be all set.

• redflearedflea Member Posts: 25
    I have a '95 530i, and have never heard of or seen a 4 wheel drive 530i from that era.

I have 150K on mine, alusil short block replaced under warranty in the late 90's. Still runs great, though predictably as the years pile up some things have started to break down, but it has been a generally low-maintenance car overall. (I have an odd issue where it's losing power at 4K RPMs right now, but aside from that everything else about the car has been very straightforward.)

Below are some common 530i/540i maintenance issues gathered from an e34 V8 mailing list I started in the late 90's with some other V8 owners....

Oil pan bolts can fall out (due to shrinkage of original cork pan gasket)

Oil pump bolts inside the oil pan can become loose and fall out inside the pan! We have had several cases of this - 7 of 7 members who inspected their oil pump bolts had bolts that were loose or had fallen from the oil pump mounts to the pan!! This is worth checking if you haven't had your oil pan off recently!! See these stories. See these pictures of the interior of the oil pan from one of our members who found bolts loose in his oil pan. See these suggestions for doing an inspection.

Power steering fluid leaks at hose clamp points (these often look like leaking motor mounts, due to the location of the leaks)

The Flex coupler can wear out (The flex coupler is analogus to a U-Joint for the drive shaft. On a 530i/540i it is about half way back between the transmission and the rear differential, and compensates for the angle of the drive shaft coming out of the transmission and the angle of the receiver on the rear differential. It is a thick and stiff piece of rubber and can develop cracks over time.)

Rocking seats (seat rails wear, resulting in a propensity for the seats to rock front-to-back when the occupant shifts his/her weight)

Washer fluid leaks at the electric pump that plugs into the side of the reservoir. Probably the result of a hairline crack on the pump flange.

Radiator leaks - can be an expensive to replace the radiator via the dealer (over $600).

I still love my car...I was going to give it to my son (new driver) and get myself another car, but the wife decided he was too young for a V8 so we got him a new Honda Civic and I'm going to keep my 530i. Surprisingly, I'm not really unhappy about the change in plans, it's still a blast to drive. :-)
  • smlull163smlull163 Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking at a 2006 525i, about 20,000 miles. Silver, gray interior with all this: Stability Control, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, AM/FM Stereo, Telescoping Wheel, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Leather, Traction Control, Moon Roof, Dual Power Seats, Alloy Wheels, Bluetooth Wireless, MP3 (Single CD), Hill Descent Control, Cruise Control, Premium Pkg, 6-Cyl. 3.0 Liter, Steptronic Auto, RWD. They list for $32,293.00. dealer without my haggling said they take $1000.00 off. It does have the warranty until 2010 and I can get extended until 2011.
    this would be my VERY FIRST BMW. I make a decent wage and I think would enjoy the comfort (I currently drive a 2000 Nissan Xterra-son's car. no A/C and terrible seats) but it gets 20 MPG combined. I've driven the BMW, and found it wonder. It does kind of hesitate a little on throttle up, but my current car has a sticky throttle.
    Any words of wisdom from the group would be greatly appreciated!
    scott - virginia beach, va
  • 1stnewcarinyrs1stnewcarinyrs Member Posts: 7
    The dealer wanted $31995 as the internet price which is $1000 off. The price was recently lowered so I am thinking the internet price is now $30,995. The car has 21K miles. The Edmunds TMV is $28,711 and the sales consultant did not want to sell for that price.
    What would be a good deal?
    A second but unrelated question...is the engine in the 530i a better than the engine in the 525i
    What would be a good deal?

Try posting that question over in the "Real World Trade-In Values" topic on the Smart Shoppers board. You can also use cars.com to find comparable cars and asking prices.

A second but unrelated question...is the engine in the 530i a better than the engine in the 525i?

They are both a part of the same engine family, the primary difference being that the 530i engine develops more horsepower and torque. Both motors are equally reliable.

• ntjames410ntjames410 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I am in the market to purchase a used 5 Series BMW -- I need some help making my decision. I have an option to purchase a 06' 525i with 75k milage for 20k or a 06' 530i with 65k milage for 24k. Both have the same features and exceptional service papers except the 525i has Xenon HID Headlights with "Angel-Eyes" feature..... Can you give me some feedback on the best deal and help define "Angel-Eyes" Thanks for your help!!!!
    Can you give me some feedback on the best deal and help define "Angel-Eyes" Thanks for your help!!!!

I'd go with the 530i; better performance and fewer miles. "Angel Eyes" are just the illuminated rings or halos that surround the headlams. Every 5er built since @2001 has them.

• r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I saw some dealers put down 4-speed auto but some put down 5-speed auto/steptronic. Are they 2 different transmissions or one of them is a mistake?

I saw some 550i had almost the same price as a 530xi. Is it normal?
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi All,
    Up here in New England, looking at a 2008 535i with 27K miles, car is spotless, solid black, dealer asking $39,995. Haven't negotiated or driven the car even. I'm skeptical about the iDrive, can anyone reassure me? I have a 1996 328i and love the car. Can't bear to give it up, but it's time for another one. I'm drooling over this 2008, but I'd like to get it a t a better price. Economy is tanking, how many cars could they be selling, seems like I can squeeze them.

Also, any words on fuel economy? What does "turbo" mean, that sounds like a fuel hog to m e, though it gets good ratings for fuel consumption.

Please help!!
    Gardis
    [email protected]
  • hopkibaehopkibae Member Posts: 8
    Looking at a private sale 530i with 25k miles. He is asking 27k. Car has basic options. Is this a good deal?
  • kostiakostia Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am very strongly considering a slightly used 550i, but recently drove a 2006 M5 SMG and of course loved it.
    It is kind of hard to find a manual 550i which is what I would prefer if buying a 550i. Prices on 2006 M5 and loaded 550i both CPO are about the same. 2007 may be a little higher.
    This will be my primary vehicle and I drive about 15K/year most of it stop and go traffic. For those in MA route 9 and lots of it.
    I am wondering how much more per year my costs will be on
    insurance, maintenance after manufacturer maintenance is over
    other costs after CPO time is over

What do you think resale value would be compared to each other 4 years down the road? Especially if gas prices get back to $4+. I plan to keep the car for about 4-5 years. Which one would be easier to sell then?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • oldgoat2oldgoat2 Member Posts: 14
    Looking at buying either a certified 2007 328i Sport Wagon with 10K miles, for around $29K, or a 2006 530XIT (AWD) with 26K miles and one year left on original warranty, for close to same money ($30K). Any opinions on trading up to the 530, but losing the extra certified warranty. Separate from styling, compelling reasons to go with one or the other? Live in Houston, so the AWD has limited utility. Thanks for any opinions.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I vote for the 328i

1) At least two years (or more) and 40K of free maintenance vs. one year for the 530

2) 4 years of warranty vs. 1 year for the 530

3) Better fuel mileage, with probably equivalent or better acceleration (30 less hp, but less weight, no AWD).

4) Sportier handling vs. AWD 530.

If you lived in the snow belt, maybe.. but, in Houston?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. In doing additional research, I found that the 2006 530 wagon is on Consumer Reports' list of used cars to avoid. That, along with the warranty coverage differences mentioned, pull the practical side of me to the 328. Now to see if I can do some more work on the price...
    I found that the 2006 530 wagon is on Consumer Reports' list of used cars to avoid.

Take the CR reliabilty ratings with a large grain of salt. According to CR my wife's 75000 mile 2004 X3 has a below average reliability record. In actuality the only non-scheduled repair has been replacement of the passenger seat SRS sensor. My 2007 Mazdaspeed OTOH, is supposed to have an above average reliability record and it required a new strut as well as a new turbo before it hit 27000 miles.

I found that the 2006 530 wagon is on Consumer Reports' list of used cars to avoid.

Take the CR reliability ratings with a large grain of salt. According to CR my wife's 75000 mile 2004 X3 has a below average reliability record. In actuality the only non-scheduled repair has been replacement of the passenger seat SRS sensor. My 2007 Mazdaspeed OTOH, is supposed to have an above average reliability record and it required a new strut as well as a new turbo before it hit 27000 miles.

Agreed that you are playing the odds with Consumer Reports. I have actually had the same experience with other products over the years - - top rated and stilll had problems. While their ratings are not conclusive, a poor rating (in the case of used cars, based on input from owners) is not something I would ignore in the decision process. Appreciate the perspective.
    I agree that the ratings-especially very poor ones-can be used as a rough guide, but the survey group is far from an actual cross section of owners.

• Boaltie91Boaltie91 Member Posts: 1
    We have been Volvo owners for many years but as our Volvo was totaled this past week (we walked away unhurt) we are looking at other wagons and saw what looks like a great deal on a 2000 528i Sports Wagon with 104,000. But we know nothing about BMW's. We know what questions to ask about Volvos - replacement of timing belt among others - but wonder what we should specifically be looking at for this model and year car. Any suggestions are very welcome.
    First off, I'd want to have the car inspected by a good BMW tech. I'd also want to see the service history. 5 Series of that vintage can last a long time if properly maintained, but they do not tolerate benign neglect. Brake fluid must be changed every two years and the coolant should be replaced every 3-4 years using only BMW coolant. I change the ATF and final drive oil every 50K miles, but BMW only calls for a ATF change every 100K. At 104K the car you are looking at should have the radiator and water pump replaced if they haven't been swapped out already. The serpentine belts and idler pulleys also need to be inspected. The front suspension may need a few bushing and/or tie rod ends within the next 20K. The engine should last at least 200K before requiring a rebuild and the tranny should go at last 150K- and probably much longer. Join the BMW Car Club and let local members help you find a good dealer and/or indie BMW tech. Most dealers and BMW shops offer up to a 20% BMW CCA discount on parts and or service. And you can always ask any other questions right here, of course.

Roadburner
    What do you think of this deal: 2007 530i, 18K miles, car went into service APR08, warranty runs to Apr 2014. First they were asking $39,900, now drpped to $36,900.
    I want to offer OTD $34,000, tops. Car is pristine looking, haven't test driven. I want to get a commitment from them first we're in the ballpark. One owner, traded the vehicle in for a 7 series. I like a good solid car, I keep them like 9 years, so I figure this car isn't going to cost me a dime until 2014 outside of purchase.
    I hear the 5 series is a top rated model, is that correct? I'm torn over this or the Lexus RX, but Lexus doesn't make my heart beat like a BMW, currently driving a 96 328i with 105K miles. Also purchased in the CPO program, have had good results with it.

Any advice from a pro is appreciated!
    Gardis in CT
    I'm hardly a pro, but I'l give it my best shot... ;)

The price doesn't sound bad, but why not ask over at "Real-World Trade-In Values" over on the "Smart Shoppers" board? You might also go to the BMW USA site and do a CPO search for similar cars.
    Note that the free service ends at 4 years/50000 miles. That said, my dealer charged less than $400 for the Inspection II(@60000 mile) service. If you plan to keep the car I'd change the oil every 7500 miles and change transmission and final drive oil at 50000 miles. I don't know how long brakes last on the E60 5ers, but you will probably have to replace them at least once. Still, when all's said and done service costs should average @$60-$70 per month over the 9-10 years you own the car.

• duncan66duncan66 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone offer some guidance on prices paid for CPO v's prices originally listed by dealer. With new cars its seems a little easier to guage the market. For CPO's I was curious on any insights in negotiating with a dealer. I'm looking at a 5 series BMW sedan (say 525 or 528), probably 2007 year model with low mileage.
    Thanks
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Check the prices on ebay, cars.com,autotrader etc. You can search for your model/year and check the lowest asking prices for cpo units. There are a few deals but you may have to travel to get them. Most used bmw postings are are way too high but if you look carefully you can find a few reasonable offerings. You might use that as leverage with a local dealer --- depends on how they read you and the market as to success. Found several bmw cpo 530i 's under 20k miles --low $30's.
    Guys,
    has there been any technical issues with navigation? Im looking at a CPO 2007 530i (29K miles) that has nav, and all the packages (sports, premium, cold, and one more can't remember) car is beautiful asking $34,900 for it, with negotation some wiggle room. I just want to be sure I'm not looking for a problem with the navigation which I don't even care about, but the vehicle has it. Car is really loaded, would hate to pass it up.

Also another one 2007 530xi, 18K miles, warranty expires Apr 2014. Asking $36,900 dealer won't budge. That's another 2 grand, but warranty goes longer. Am torn, don't know what to do. I'm leaning toward the $34,900 one, has more. Dealer says his 530xi is competitive in price. I could care less about all wheel drive.
    That extended warranty is tempting however.

Any advice?
    Why worry about possible navigation problems until the warranty runs out at which time if it acts up [very unlikely] you don't need to use it. Spend a few bucks on a garmin and keep the mb one turned off. The car will run just fine without it.
    Gardis, if I was in your neighborhood I'd stop by tomorrow on new years eve and take you by the ear down to the dealer with an offer sign with $31,000 written on it and sit you in the sales managers office. Oh yeah, with tape over your mouth. I'd come back in an hour and drive you home, unless you got the car. What have you got to lose? If they don't come down on the price 1-2k I'd be real surprised -- maybe more as you walk out the door. All this assumes you have the cash or are pre-approved on a loan to afford the car in the first place.
    Jayrider,
    LOL! You are quite right. I have to drive the car first, though. I am going to get that same deal, no matter when I walk in there, I can guarantee you that. The other guy was being hard nosed. Don't worry, right after the New Year, things are going to be DEAD, and they will be just as happy to see my smiling face walk in there. I doubt they would come down to $31K, really doubt that.
    Local dealer has an ad for cpo units:
    07 525i 22k cold weath- leather- sr- $28988
    06 525xi-47k-cold-prem-sr 31988

Are these decent prices?
  • cherryhillocherryhillo Member Posts: 2
    "Local dealer has an ad for cpo units:
    07 525i 22k cold weath- leather- sr- $28988
    06 525xi-47k-cold-prem-sr 31988"

These seem high. I just purchased:
    '06 530xi 46K, cold, leather, sport, manual for $23K

This is non-CPO form an independent BMW repair/sales shop.

Re Cherryhillo vehicle:
    Does that vehicle still have warranty coverage even though it wasn't certified? I believe the answer has to be yes. If it's a 2006, it probably went into service in the end of 2005, so that would mean the 6 year warranty (100K) would last until sometime in late 2011.

Do you have warranty coverage cherryhillo? The models I'm looking at are all 2007,. but the 2006 530's are running in the low to mid $30K range price wise I think, all CPO. This is up in Fairfield County, CT. You know, Darien CT, one of the highest income towns in the USA...........why would they need to make a deal I suppose with all those high income people.

Congratulations Cherryhillo, hope you have many years of good service from the vehicle. I wish I had the guts to pull the trigger on one I'm eyeballing.
  • cherryhillocherryhillo Member Posts: 2
    The vehicle in service was 9/05 and only has the 4 year/50K mile BMW warranty on it. I separately purchased a 5 year/unlimited service warranty for $1,500. I have never purchased a third party warranty before, so we'll see how it goes.

I live in Northern NJ and purchased in Eastern PA. When I looked at dealerships at the end of December, they seemed to be selling 5 series well with the 0.9% and two months payments. Now that promotion is over, you should be able to see more '06's coming off lease soon and some inventory increase again.

Good luck with your search!
    Hello Guys,
    Have a question for you.
    I'm looking at a beautiful 2007 530i, black/black, sports, premium, cold pkgs, premium sound, climate, and Nav. They're asking 34900 with 28K miles on it.

My question is: the vehicle had after -market tinting to the windows that makes the vehicle look like a pimpmobile, what with all the black. The dealer told me that the tinting could be removed no problem, and made it sound like they would do it no cost to me.

My question is does anyone know if the tinting process can be reversed with no noticeable effect on the windows? What is it that actually tints those windows? I wouldn't want to destroy the windows or the glass by removing the tinting.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
  • chintchint Member Posts: 30
    I lived in the south east and west and I always had all my cars tinted .
    Tinting is actually good , not sure why you dont like it

With that being said , tinting can always be removed and it is very simple

I am also looking at a 07 530 and it has 16 K miles .The options I believe are Prem Pkg , Sirius Satellite , Xeno lights .The final negotiated price is 30.5 K

Any thoughts if it is a good deal
    Wow that sounds like a good deal. Mine has more pkgs though, than yours, plus NAV, price is $34,900 before negotiation. I'm getting pre approved for a small loan now. Will let you know how much the interest rate is. Most of them have the premium pkg, the extra pkgs are sports and cold weather. I"m getting more vehicle for the money, but also more miles.
  • blhblh Member Posts: 18
    Hi Guys,

I'm willing to wait till the spring for a good deal.

In northern MA looking at several 2006 5 series XI's comming off lease hope to get one with 30,000 mile of less. Right now running 34,000 to 30,000 a few at 28K and 27K.

Service question has anyone used Schneller BMW in Newbury MA ?
  • emedwayemedway Member Posts: 17
    Check out http://www.dealerrater.com/

It's a good source of consumer feedback on dealers. Throw out the extreme negatives and positives, then you'll get a good picture of how your dealer stacks up against others in your area.

Good luck
  • moymoy Member Posts: 7
    I have been leaning towards buying a 2007 525i with the premium package for just under 30K, but I am wondering if this will be a good swap for me. I currently drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima and am wondering if the 525i will seem too slow for me? The Maxima is rated at 255HP while the 525i is rated at 215? Should I try and look at a 530i instead? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Why not put that $30000 toward a brand new fully warranted 09 Maxima?
  • moymoy Member Posts: 7
    I was considering that too, but wanted to move up to a BMW. Basically, I am thinking I can get a 2007 CPO BMW 5 series for under the cost of a brand new Maxima with all the options. Don't get me wrong, I love my Max, but have really wanted to trade-up and drive a BMW. All my relatives have them and swear by them, so I thought it would be time to drive one for awhile myself. The only issue would be the power. I still get very good power from my Max and don't want to sacrifice that going to a 525i.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    For a couple of thousand difference, I'd get the 530.. It has 255-260 hp, I think..

Plus, there are probably a lot more of them to choose from...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator