Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• catcher17catcher17 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2006 530xi CPO with 11K miles, navigation, prem pkg, prem sound, cold weather, fold down rear, sat. radio, auto trans. Dealer is asking $38,600. Even with low mileage, this seems very high (KBB quotes $34K). Is it appropriate to pay such a premium for CPO, even when the maintenance warranty would expire in a year? Thanks in advance for any guidance/help!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    Go to BMW NA's web site and perform a search for CPO E60s. That should give you a ballpark number.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• barnjonbarnjon Member Posts: 1
    Any help would be great... What do I look for?.. Can I trust the CPO program... Really want a manual trans... any problems with 40k/50k vehicles...Anything...Thanks..... :)
    Good dealers run good CPO programs. My dealer(Swope BMW, Louisville, KY) does a great job. As I noted above, go to BMW USA and perform a CPO search. The cars themselves have proven to be very reliable and a 40K-50K car shouldn't need more than brakes-if that-and scheduled maintenance for a long time to come.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mrfinaglemrfinagle Member Posts: 20
    Hey just a follow up to those considering a used bimmer like the 2002 530i Sport I got with 70ish k miles last year. I bought it with new snow tires on the car. It drove great. When I switched to the summer wheels, I noticed a shimmy immediately at 40 mph and eventually, uneven (camber) wear on the rear tires after a few thousand miles. I needed a new suspension and my mechanic recommended new rims because they didn't spin true. I kept the rims but the suspension was $3000. You WILL need this more or less around 50-100k mi depending on your location/ roads, so if it hasn't had that, factor the cost in. :( Also, the overfill coolant tank is plastic and WILL crack, so factor 150 or so for that. The power steering tends to weep, in my case just a new cap/etc for 100. If it hasn't been replaced already, the battery is 100+. If you DIY, then keep a jumper battery connected to +/- before disconnecting the dead battery (if not, your security will think you're trying to steal the car and lock you out of starting it). :sick: I need to top off about 1 quart oil every 3000. With automatic, the car gets between 20 and 23 mph local and highway if you don't drive like you're on the track at Indy. Net net, it is an investment. I compare my out-of-pocket to a friend who bought a new Hyundai for 16k. If you want low maintenance, high gas mileage, and don't care about effortless acceleration up to 100+ or all that G force cornering on ramps, then that's a better buy I guess. Me, I just bought racing tires for a little track fun. :shades: Good luck.
    A new suspension? What parts were replaced? My wife had a 528iA and over 130K miles it only needed two front struts and two tie rod ends.

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys is there any way to do a more refined "search" on the BMW USA website for a model search? For example, I'd like to search for vehicles only with Sports pkg, or only 2007, refine the search like that, I cannot find anyway to do that. I have to sort through hundreds of vehicles which are totally not to my liking. Any suggestions?
  • mrfinaglemrfinagle Member Posts: 20
    hi roadrunner! well pretty much everything. Front and rear struts (Bilstein), control arms/bushings, etc. This car was preowned in NYC and you know the roads there. The mechanic is well respected on bimmer forums and I saw the worn parts myself on the lift.

If anybody has <20 lb 17x8+ e39 wheels in good shape for my new tires let me know.
    Guys,
    Dealer told me that a 530XI with Sports pkg is only 'cosmetic' and has no effect on performance. I like the Sports pkg because of the shadowline trim and steering wheel distinctive, and the special rims. But the XI doesn't carry the special rims, it has the regular 5 series rims. I almost never see a plain 530i with Sports, it seems all the vehicles have XI now. I hate to miss out on a good deal for a car, vehicle only has 23, 300miles on it, pristine condition. I need advice.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    What your dealer told you is correct, the "xi" models all have the same suspension regardless of whether they were ordered with the "Sport Package" or not.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Guys,
    I need some advice. I found on the BMWUSA website, an ideal car. it's a 2007 CPO 530i, Alpine/Black, with Premium, Cold, SPORTS, prem. sound, and NAV. Car has 24K miles on it, it's off lease, one owner, clean Carfax, and dealer wants $36,999 for it. I called and got so excited, it's exactly the car I'm looking for, I walked away from one in January because of the stock market, but I'm reluctant to pass on this one. I called the dealer, and right away put a $500 deposit on it to hold it. The salesman, very nice guy, said they "owned the car at $36,000" and maybe there's few hundred in there, and then asked me what I thought I wanted for mine. I have a 328i, 1996 with 109K miles on it, with some issues (moon roof doesn't work, some other minor stuff that I had priced at the BMW dealer I dont' want to bother fixing yet). He's willing to drive the car to me (dealer is 60 miles from my house), then he called me back and said that he would take mine back with him, and the dealership gave him authorization to appraise mine on the spot.

I'm thinking that the price is a little high for that vehicle, and I don't want to move so fast. Should I drive out there, take the day off, and see what happens. I mean I haven't even driven the car, let alone seen it, except for pictures on the dealer website. The car is evverything I"m looking for but I"m more comfortable at $34,000 not the $36,999. Plus they're going to add dealer fees ($500, right). I"ve seen other similar vehicles with the XI that supposedly is supposed to be a higher priced model, in the same price range if not a little less. I just think that's high for that vehicle, given it has NAV.

What do you guys think? I'm going to call him on Tuesday morning and say, not so fast. Let's talk about price, or walk away. Anybody have any feelings about it.
    Well guys, after all these months of gut wrenching emotion, I finally made a nice deal today at the BMW dealer in Greenwich CT. Remember I had seen a beautiful Alpine White 2007 530i with Sports pkg, which is just what I was looking for, with low miles.

My sales girl, who's been working with me since November, was able to work with the other dealer because they are all owned by the same BMW parent company apparently. So one of the Greenwich manager's who lives in NJ, is going to pick up the car next week, and drive it over to Greenwich.

Meanwhile, the asking price was $36,999 (premium, cold, SPORTS, NAV, prem sound, comfort access, etc) 24K miles, Warranty expiration June 26, 2012. I got the car for $36,200. My heart was in my mouth over my trade in (1996 328i, 109K miles)
    and somehow, they had the impression I wanted $2500 for it. Well the manager reviewed the car while I was talking to the saleswoman. He came in, and started with "well, I know you wanted $2500 for it (I never said that, I actually thought they'd offer me about $1200), but it has a few issues, and I could do $1500, maybe $2000 since you really want the car." I accepted the $2000 right on the spot, and that ended the negotiation part of it. I'm satisfied with it. Look the car has low treads in the rear set, sunroof inoperational, and ABS light comes on which the Darien dealer told me is a wheel sensor ($275).

So I'm giving them a large down payment, and financing only about 30% of it at 3.9%, she said maybe they'd do a little better. we'll see. The car is a cream puff, Alpine White, with black leather, and I am so excited I fnally found a car. I know I paid maybe a little more, but you know something, I keep my vehicles a long time, so that extra money will be amortized over the life of the vehicle.

Also - I bought the extended service warranty for $1695, which extended the service warranty until the end of the main warranty, which is June 2012. I felt it was worth the $800 per year extra for that. Peace of mind. Otherwise the 4 year warranty was running out in June 2010. I want to make sure my 30K mile servicing is FREE. Now it will be. I thought this was well worth it, I know they probably took me, but since the BMW dealer sold it to me, I have no doubt about it. It went onto the amount to financce, and yes, I realize it's a gimmick, but still it's there if I need it.

Well what do you think guys!!!
    Sounds good. Never obsess over a few bucks that you may have left on the table- just enjoy the car!!! :)

• kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Congrats, Gardis. Seems like you found just what you wanted. I agree with Roadburner that you shouldn't fret about a few extra bucks.
    It does seem, however, that you got emotional about the car and the purchase, but don't we all at some point!!
    Like to see it sometime.
    Enjoy.
  • sondu51sondu51 Member Posts: 6
    Dealer is offering 2008 528xi with pre, cold pkg, xenon lights and 12000 miles for 38k.
    Is it a good deal?
    Hello Guys
    Picked up my CPO 2007 530i on Thursday at the dealer. The car is impeccable and I'm ecstatic with it. When I was doing all the paperwork I was signing the finance papers (I only financed about 25% of it @3.9% from BMW) the guy tried to upsell me on those options for a higher monthly payment, and I turned them all down FLAT. He looked disappointed and said, may I ask why, and I ignored him. Gimmick.

I can't believe how this car handles. Smooth and powerful. I'm thinking why would they need an even bigger engine on the 535 model now. With what I have, it feels like taking off in a 747 when I ease onto the highway!!

Have a great weekend,

Gardis - CT
  • mars415mars415 Member Posts: 2
    i live in the SF bay area and found this Certified 2007 530i Sedan with Premium Package, Sport Package, Automatic Transmission, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Park Distance Control, Premium Sound, Navigation System, Leather Interior and Metallic Paint. This car has <25K miles on it.

Dealer is asking for $38.9K, which I think is excessive.
    What would be the fair price for this car..
    I am thinking about offering 33K.

I would appreciate your suggestions and if you have recently purchased a used 5 series in the bay area, I would like to hear about your buying experience and suggestions for a good CPO dealer in the area.

Thanks for your help.

mars
    Use the CPO model search on the BMW USA web site. That should give you a general idea of regional asking prices.

Mars
    The car you just described is the exact vehicle I purchased, right down to the mileage EXCEPT: I do not have park distance control and the vehicle is Alpine White.

They were asking $36,999 for it, and I ultimately settled for $36,200. This is in Greenwich, CT. I looked at 5 series XI models, and they were in that same price range, so I even thought this was a little high, but the vehicle was impeccable, so I went for it.

Good luck, let me know how you make out.
    Gardis
  • LASpursLASpurs Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could ask you experienced heads a few questions regarding this car.

I am looking at buying a pre owned 2006 BMW 550i, it has 48K miles on the clock and from the outside (and under the hood) appears to be in stunning condition. It is fully loaded with the Navigation, winter package, HUD, Sports package, leather seats, bluetooth, seemingly the lot.

The dealer is looking for approximately $31,500 for it. Does that seem a good deal? KBB has it $3,000 more than that I think.

With it being just under 50,000 I imagine the warranty and inclusive service is about to expire. How expensive are the servicing costs usually and what are the intervals? Is there anything in particular to look out for in a BMW of this age/miles?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!!
    On an E60 some services are determined by time, some by mileage, and some by the Condition Based Service system(which calculates service based on driving conditions).
    The time based services are: Brake Fluid(every 2 years) and Coolant(every 3-4 years-even though BMW doesn't call for it)
    The mileage based services are: Spark Plugs, ATF, and Oxygen Sensors(every 100K miles for all three).
    The CBS system has 3 levels of service: Oil Service, Inspection I, and Inspection II. An Oil Service is called for at @15K intervals(or every two years, whichever comes first). It is essentially just an oil change. It costs $80-$125
    The Inspection I rolls up at around 30K; it is an oil change, a cabin air filter change, and a comprehensive inspection of the car. Figure $250-$300
    Inspection II occurs around 60K and is essentially an Inspection I + an engine air filter change. Costs average $350-$500

If you're going to hang on to it for a while I'd advise changing the automatic transmission or gearbox oil every 50K. Change the final drive oil at 100K. I change the engine oil myself on my wife's X3 at 7.5K intervals due to the fact that the truck chews up its oil in less than 9K miles(based on used oil analysis). That's comparing apples to oranges; some people go 15K without any problem but I'm not one of them.

• LASpursLASpurs Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply, in the end I didn't get the car as I had heard some horror stories regarding the cost of maintaining a BMW after the 50K warranty had expired!!!

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it :D
  • srx2870srx2870 Member Posts: 16
    I just got a quote from dealer for a CPO 530xi w/ prem, cold, auto and nav package. It has 35000 miles on it. The dealer asking price is 33900 and he said the most he can do is 33450. Is it a good deal?
  • mars415mars415 Member Posts: 2
    Well, the car that I mentioned sold a day before I got to the dealer.
    so, I ended up leasing the new 2010 535i instead of getting a used one.
    Nice car. The new idrive is responsive but got too many options..
    Hopefully, I'll get used to it.

:)
    Thanks for the reply, in the end I didn't get the car as I had heard some horror stories regarding the cost of maintaining a BMW after the 50K warranty had expired!!!

Those stories are mostly second and third hand hearsay passed on by pathetic envious fools. I've owned my 1995 3 Series since new and at 115,000 miles maintenance and repairs have averaged $33/month. My wife's 2004 X3 has covered 80,000 miles and has cost $56/month to run. The only thing it has needed apart from scheduled maintenance is a four wheel brake job and a set of tires.
    It's too bad you let some jealous imbeciles cheat you out of enjoying a very fine sports sedan.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If I followed the dealer recommended service for my 03 jeep liberty, the maintenence costs would average $1000 every 6 months.They have a myriad of flushes, cleanings etc. My costs average $100 per year and it runs fine. If you maintain your bmw,mercedes audi, at a skilled independent shop, your costs will not be excessive. If you give the dealer a blank check than expect to be reamed in most cases. Repairs can be stiff because parts are more expensive,but shouldn't be all that frequent.
    If you give the dealer a blank check than expect to be reamed in most cases. Repairs can be stiff because parts are more expensive,but shouldn't be all that frequent.

That's usually the case, although I will say that my local dealer(Sam Swope, Louisville KY) has very fair pricing. They also refuse to push additional unneeded service. That said, I also use a good BMW indie shop, but often it's a toss-up as to which shop will have the better prices. I follow BMW's maintenance schedule to the letter with the exception of oil and automatic transmission fluid or gearbox/final drive oil changes. I change the oil and ATF at 1/2 of BMW's recommended interval while gearbox oil and final drive oil are changed every 30,000 miles in my track rats.

• jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    hi, I have a chance to buy a 2004 530i 6 speed with premium/zennons/cold weather package and 54K miles. It is a relative and it has been maintained by the book and garaged.

Asking price is $17K

My big fear is the electronic on this car. I remeber hearing that there were a lot of problems with the i-drive on this car being the first year of this stlye and i-drive.
    Anyone have any idea if the 04 /first year i-drive sytems are destined for failure.?

Any other problems that I shoould know about?

Thanks,

Jay
  • airmailmillerairmailmiller Member Posts: 4
    looking at a 95 525, 126,000 miles , power everything according to the dealer, ac belt is off, but compressor turns freely. good condition, dealer has been driving it for the last 4 months, he wants 3995.00 for it, are they dependable, is this a good price? i m also looking at a 740il for 3000.00 with the same mileage as the 525. it is in excellent shape, just the maintanence costs scare me on the 740. i ve had bimmer motorcycles and i know they are rock solid. any info would help.
    The E34 5ers are pretty solid cars. Have it checked out by a good BMW tech. If the belt is off the A/C compressor you can bet something is wrong. A service history would also be nice to have. If it's a stick and it checks out I'd pay no more than $3000 for it- $2500 if it has a slushbox.

• airmailmillerairmailmiller Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the info, i was assuming the a/c comp is shot with the belt gone, i found another one for 1500 with more miles and a couple of little door dings, but everything works, so this one i ll check out, thanks again, matt
    Let me know if you have any more questions; I'll be glad to help :D

• lanc3lot75lanc3lot75 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Guys! I'm new to the forum and new to buying a BMW. I'm interested in buying a used 530i but have 3 options below.

- Price $33,888, Mileage 21,800 (Premium and Sports Pkg w/ Nav) Blk/Blk
    - Price $36,900, Mileage 36,979 (Premium and Sports Pkg w/ Nav) Blk/Blk, CPO
    - Price $31,988, Mileage 48,174 (Premium and Sports Pkg w/ Nav) Blk/Blk, CPO

Can you please let me know which one will be the best price to buy or let me know if all are over price.

Thanks!
    :shades:
    Lanc, is there some reason why the first one you listed is not a CPO? I would hesitate to buy a non-CPO 2007 with 21,000 miles.
    My belief is that you really should be looking at a CPO when buying a complex machine like a 5. Mileage takes a back seat to CPO IMO and I guess there is no talking you out of the black on black???????
    Hiya Lanc,
    I bought a 2007 530i in Alpine White with Blk leather and I love it. Had Premium, Cold, Sports, prem sound, and NAV also. Car had 24K miles on the clock, and I ended up paying $36, 200 which is less than your price on a vehicle with over 36K miles. I would get them down to $34K before going ahead with it, based on my mileage. My car was impeccable. Not a scratch on it. So, use that as your guide.

Good luck with it.

Hey Kevin, how are ya?
    Gardis
    [email protected]
  • nathanraymondnathanraymond Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between buying a 06 550i or a 2007 550i. which year is better? Are there significant differences between the two years? Both cars have been certified and have approximately 44k. Both are sport, cold package and have navigation. YES they are both manual.
    How much would I love a 550 but I could well end up arrested. And, I have to say that I enjoy my almost 30mpg from my 530 with more than decent power and fun ride. To me, the balance of the 530 with power and good mileage is worth it.

Hello, Gardis. I am fine. From these posts, you seem to be having a great time with your new car. I am glad you found one that seems to be a creampuff. I still love unlocking mine.
  • rkrish1rkrish1 Member Posts: 1
    Guys is it a XI ? if not there might some more room for negotiation.
  • jwheel1jwheel1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am looking at a 2007 530i CPO, 30K in miles, prem/nav/sports package. Dealer is firm at 34,300. Thoughts? good price? The car is very clean with the exception of the floor mats which I am sure can be easily replaced.
  • rsf525rsf525 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 525 needs a 100,000 mile inspection/maintenance. Can anyone recommend a good (honest, fair) mechanic in the San Diego area?
  • firstbmw_gafirstbmw_ga Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

My first post, and also looking to own my first BMW..

I have looked at a 2009 528i (1100 miles) with full factory warranty until May 2013. It has Premium and Cold Weather Packages, Comfort Access, Leather Power Seats with Memory and Lumbar, Sunroof, iPod and USB Adapter, Xenon Headlights, HomeLink.. This is with an independent dealer in GA, and asking for $39,500

Looking at Edmunds.com and other sources, price seems to be within in the range, and would like to get your opinion on what would be right price for this car.

Looks like this particular car was bought back by the BMW America, due to some minor glitch with the battery, they have replaced the battery, and everything seems to be fine.

What do you guys think ?

Appreciate your feedback !!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    What do I think?

I think BMW isn't going to buy back a $50K car for a battery "glitch". There had to be something seriously wrong with that car.

I also wonder if the title has been "branded" as a manufacturer buyback. If it has, then the warranty may not be in effect. Sometimes they will do a program called "Trade Assist", because they don't have to brand the title. That preserves the warranty and the trade-in value down the road.. but I still wouldn't want it.

I'd be very nervous about dropping $40K on a car that has already demonstrated serious problems. You can buy a loaded up '08 with a CPO extended warranty from a BMW dealer for the same money..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• njldannjldan Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I found a 2004 bmw 530i 60000miles asking for $16000 from a private seller. The cars condition looks great, loaded with navigation system. Is this a good deal?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    I'm not conversant with 2004 values but '04 was the last year for the E39 which IMO is more of a real BMW than the gadget mobile E60. A lightly used one might be a good deal @ $16k.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• firstbmw_gafirstbmw_ga Member Posts: 15
    Hi kyfdx,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated..

Is there any way to determine, what kind of issues got the BMW to buy back that vehicle ?

I'm certainly going to pass on this car.. (If it's too good to be true, then it probably is...)

Thanks,
    Sam.
  • kennyyukennyyu Member Posts: 16
    hi folks, i,m consideing a 2003 530i with less than 20k miles..listed at 20k with sport premium nav, the works..i think 18k is fair even with this low miles. any thoughts? ...
    p.s. i hate the new body style that came out in 2004.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that you missed the model year of the change over by one. The 2003 model year was the last of the E39, and 2004 was the begininning of the E60 run. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Kevin
    that is some good gas mileage. I am getting 20-21mpg city driving consistent, which is what they say I should be getting. More if I'm on the highway. How on earth do you get 30mpg? That has to be all highway driving, I'm thinking.

Has anyone configured the central locking system so that after you start the engine, the doors do NOT lock when you are inside the car? I'm thinking if I go to a car wash, the doors will lock after I get out, and I won't be able to get back in? I saw in the manual where you can change that. Anyone else had this problem?
  • njldannjldan Member Posts: 2
    It is a 2006 525xi with manual transmission. It has 34000miles on the clock. The carfax report is clean. The dealer asked for $25000, and I offered $22000 and I expect a counter offer. But the offer was accepted. Now I am hesitated for such a quick acceptance. Is my offer too high or is there anything wrong with car?
  • kennyyukennyyu Member Posts: 16
    even my 8,12,13 year olds think dad's car is pimping!. E39 rules!!!