Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 5 Series

Comments

• ponchomoranponchomoran Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a 2007 525i and came across a 2008 535i that looks great, it is fully loaded but it has 62K miles on it. The deal is very good, I got the dealer to come down to almost 2K less than what the BMW dealer wants for the 2007, I can get it for 30K OTD
    Do you guys think it is no big deal, the high mileage? I know these engines run for a very long time, but what would you look for in order to make sure it is ok?

Thanks,

Alfonso
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    It sure seems like a great deal. Be sure to set aside some emergency funds for the remote chance the turbos need replacement. The history of this engine (with turbos) is unproven to say the least. And do find out if the high pressure fuel pump replacement warranty extended by BMW covers a new owner as well. It should but it is worth confirming from BMW. These are the only two suspect areas I can think of. I am sure others with more experience here will also chime in.
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    sounds like a pretty good deal. i have a 2008 535xi with 46000 (original mfg warranty) and about to trade it in for 2010 model. dealer is offering $34k for trade-in. so i think you're getting fair offer. i guess it also depends on how loaded the vehicle is. what options are on the vehicle?
  • dcgibbonsdcgibbons Member Posts: 1
    This one has premium package, sport package, steptronic transmission, navigation, active steering (boo), rear sunshades, fold-down rear seats. They're asking $41,993 but have come down to $40,597 so far. Hoping to get them down to $38,500.

Thoughts? Only thing that seems weird is that it might have been a loaner for its first 12.5K miles, but it seems a bit too well-equipped for that.
  • slance66slance66 Member Posts: 22
    I'm struggling with a replacement for my trusty 2001 S60. Looked at the 06 325xi, but I just don't want the RFT problem. So I found a nice looking 2004 530i, with only 25k miles, for $22,900. Car looks great, and seems to have i-drive, which worries me a bit. They also have a 2004 325xi with 54k miles, for $15,900. I like the room in the 530, but the RWD in winter concerns me here in MA, as I have a steep driveway.

How much lower in price do you think they'll go?
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    A dealer in Bridgeport Ct had a 2008 535i last December with 27K miles on the clock. They started off at $41,900, and then came down to $38,900. The vehicle sat there a good three months.I'm sure they had to let it go for less. Vehicle was impeccable. I was skeptical of the turbos, so I passed on it. It had premium, sports and cold. Hope that helps.
  • fosterbfosterb Member Posts: 5
    A car dealer (non-bmw) has a 2000 528i sport with 82K miles for $13K. A true sport package with heated seats, 10-way driver's seat, BBS rims and etc. Also, two-owner vehicle. Is that a good price?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Terrible price. At least here in the Northeast. That's about double its trade-in value. If it were me buying it, $8500 would be fair, and $9k would be the moon for a nice one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fosterbfosterb Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. Also, found out that it needs a new battery and the headlight clear shields need to be cleaned up. Will talk about getting these items taken care of while discussing price. Also, this type of vehicle is rare in this neck of the woods...also checked with Autotrader.com and this roughly the going rate for this type of vehicle. Will keep you posted... :D
    also checked with Autotrader.com and this roughly the going rate for this type of vehicle.

Asking prices do not dictate "the going rate," however. Asking prices are just that, and what is actually acceptable as a sale price is something tougher to judge by scanning ads.

By the by, just for comparison, I checked autotrader within 100 miles of my central NJ location. The most expensive 2000 528i is $11,995, and that one only has 71k miles. There are quite a few in the $8k-$9k range. Maybe you should check surrounding areas and be willing to drive a couple hundred miles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• beemerfan1beemerfan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello bmw forum,
    I have the opportunity to buy a 1988 bmw 5 series with some sensor problems and a salvage title. The car was driven by a senior person and was well cared for, but the salvage title bothers me. Is anyone has an idea of the value of this car and the cost to fix the check engine sensor? Please respond as I have to close the deal today ASAP! Thank you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi - we can't guarantee instant answers, but I suspect most people are going to advise you against buying an older, salvage title vehicle, unless it's super-cheap and comes with a stash of gold in the glovebox to help pay for the ongoing maintenance. For value, you might check our Real World Trade-In Values discussion - if you provide details about the vehicle, someone might be able to help you. Why the rush to buy it today?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

If it is a V8, I wouldn't buy it at all.
    If it is a 525, I might consider it depending on its current condition and miles.
    check engine light could be any number of things. If the O2 sensor is more than 2 years old, I would bet that is the culprit.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    If it's a US spec 5er it would be an E28, which only came with the 2.8L M20 small six(528e) or the 3.5L M30 big six(535i). I'd want to know what fault triggered the CEL.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Ah, you are right.
    In that case, I'd be interested in either, although the 2.7 (not 2.8) would be of much less interest in stock form.

• irus_x5irus_x5 Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 07 550 CPO with 8K miles. Wanted to ask if it is worth buying the Wheelguard tire and rim warranty. The dealer is quoting $1500 for the tire and rim and $2400 for extended maintenance program. I think I will pass on the maintenance but am seriously considering the tire warranty.

Please advise
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    How long is left on the original maintenance plan, and how many miles/yr do you plan on driving?

I'd be more likely to buy the maintenance plan, if I was getting full use of it... Doubt I'd pay for the tire/rim warranty, though...

Probably wouldn't get either one... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The tire and rim plan is for 5 years. The maintenance plan extends to 100k or 6 years from in service date so I will get up to 11/12. Do you feel I will get full use as the vehicle has only 8.5k mile on it? Thanks for your advise...
    You'll have maintenance included for the rest of the original plan, which is one more year... So, the extended maintenance will only kick in for the two years after that...

If you are your typical 12K-15K per year driver, then you won't even make it to the 60K mile inspection II..., by the end of the extended maintenance plan..

Given that, I vote for doing neither... Maintenance (and warranty) is free for the next year... Stick that $3900 in the bank and use it for a maintenance/repair/tire fund...

This car isn't CPO, is it? With the extended warranty?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes it is CPO with the two year 60K miles extended warranty. Got the car today without any warranty. Thank you for your help!!
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Hello, in the market for a used/ CPO '08 535i with possibly Sports, Premium and Navigation and mileage around 25K. Upgrading from a '00 Passat. A few questions. #1 I have noticed quite a few of these vehicles being manufacturer buy backs. Typically the ignition coil or the high pressure fuel pump were replaced and the vehicles are sold with the 4 yr/ 50K warranty with additional warranty on the replaced part. Are those good to buy? If so, at what price range??
    #2 If a vehicle has the Sports Package, the wheel size is 18" and the rear tire size is different from the front ones, which IMO, deprives one from taking advantage on getting a deal on buying a set of 4 tires. Please, advise if I should avoid the Sports Pkg, and opt for the 17" wheels.
    #3 Extended warranties and tire/ wheel warranties...are they mandatory as far as value goes, or are they good to have? Whats a good price for them?

Generally, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the vehicle? Thank you in advance.
  • neverlandneverland Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I am about to buy a 2008 528i with 25k miles, certified, no additional option. The dealer is asking for 32k + tax. Is it a fair price? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
  • tdmcomtdmcom Member Posts: 1
    Hi, bought a similar 2008 528i with 23K yesterday. paid $29,3k. Because the 08s don't have the 2 payment and 0.9% that bmw offers on 07 CPOs, I found the 08s priced about the same or a bit lower than 07. Good luck with your purchase.
  • plasmoplasmo Member Posts: 16
    Hello all,
    I am looking at a 2007 BMW 525xi AWD, and had a few questions -

1) This is my first time considering a used vehicle, and was wondering if the 2007 Nav system / iDrive is much different from the current 2010 version.

2) This vehicle doesn't seem be be "Certified Pre-Owned". Does this make a big difference? It looks like their warranty lasts until 8/30/2010 or 50k. Can this be extended?

2) Package includes Cold weather, Premium package, Premium Sound, TPM, steptronic automatic transmission, xenon headlights, navigatioin, moonoof, power front seats, BMW assist/BT. (one owner car, locally owned and serviced there)
    Dealer has interent price posted for $29,899. Is this fair price, or what could people think it could be negotiated to?
    :) THANKS! :)
  • plasmoplasmo Member Posts: 16
    Sorry, forgot to add that the Mileage on the car mentioned is 37,862.
  • nepalnepal Member Posts: 5
    Hey BMW people.

Just bought a used 1994 BMW 5 series. I love it. The speedometer says clearly ONLY USE UNLEADED GAS. My friends and neighbors tell me I should us PREMIUM. Can you help me out a little bit.

Thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yes, but the Owner's Manual clearly says use Unleaded Premium fuel. ;)
    Thanks Shipo. But it says UNLEADED not UNLEADED PREMIUM. So you are saying just use UNLEADED/REGULAR gas?
    Hey Shipo

Can you answer some questions about Honda Accords too?
    Your BMW engine is a high compression/high performance engine that is designed to use Premium fuel. Please don't confuse the requirement of using leaded versus unleaded gasoline with a directive for running Regular versus Premium grade.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    "Can you answer some questions about Honda Accords too? "

In a general sense, yes, however, I don't spend much time with Hondas (other than a little good-will work on a few in my neighborhood), so if you have some specific questions, you might be best off asking elsewhere. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's a good place to start: Honda Accord group. :)
  • crusher08crusher08 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 535xi with every available option minus night vision. The car is gorgeous, black with light tan leather interior, 29k miles, I paid 34K. I was wondering if this is a competitive price. Sport, Premium, Blue tooth, Parktronic, BMW Assist, Nav, etc, Car is beautiful, just wondering.
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Sounds like a STEALER deal to me!!! Enjoy your car.
  • crusher08crusher08 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks rez, I pick it up in the morning on the 16th. I will let you know.
  • kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Sounds like a sweet deal for sure. But check the service history and make sure you don't have a car with a fuel pump problem.
  • hip_hip_hoorayhip_hip_hooray Member Posts: 1
    Planning on purchasing a 2002 530i, auto, 59,000 miles for $12,900; black on black premium sport, cold weather, xenon, new BMW car matts, new tires less then 10,000 miles ago, serviced recently, clean car fax, FL car, garaged, owned by pilot originally, now owner getting a divorce. KBB is $14k+, only repair reported is a left rear window motor.

Anything I should know about this year/model, seems like a solid year? Planning to get a BMW dealer to do a pre-purchase inspection. Also looking for any suggestions on extended warranties. Thanks for any input, I loved my 1985 528td and 1994 530i, but know that you can get a bad used BMW.
    Anything I should know about this year/model, seems like a solid year?

The 1997-2003(E39) 5ers are just brilliant sport sedans. The inline sixes are very reliable and trouble free. Water pumps tend to go south in the 60K-100K mileage window, and I'd R&R the radiator and t-stat at 100k just to be on the safe side. Heck, I'd buy an E39 530i if I could find one with a stick(though I'll probably end up putting my financial well being in mortal peril by purchasing an E39 M5 :P ). If the car checks out, have the ATF and final drive oil changed immediately.
    I doubt an extended warranty is worth the money. At worst you'll be looking at replacing some suspension parts, accessory belts/pullies, and maybe a couple of power window regulators prior to 130K.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• hoosierbmwhoosierbmw Member Posts: 15
    I joined Edmunds forum just to say thanks to the many folks who have informed us about used BMW's. Thanks Shipo, Roadburner, Fed Lawman...and many many others who educated me. I bought an 03 BMW 525i I think the color is Blue Water Metallic... It grows on you. Not my first choice but the longer I have it the more I like it.

It was a one owner. I bought it online...yes I know what you are thinking.. but it worked out. The guy I bought it from had all books and records. He babied it and it showed. Ran a Carfax, paid less than 10K for it... New tires, straight body, shiny paint, no rips or tears, interior looked new. It had 75k on it .. I drive hard.. It now has 86k six months later. :surprise:

Permit me to make a few observations... first I come from a background of driving Hondas for the last 15 or so years. So I thought about the earlier posts above. My Hondas were great. Reliable. Well engineered and bulletproof. Had some road noise but car performed well since I drove it and others over 35K per year.

My BMW.. wanted something totally different...but couldn't afford a new one... Love the style of the 03 525i.. a classic to me. Love the lines, the interior, the amenities. heated seats, steering, headlight washers, rear vents, tool kit (yes all my tools were there). Love the headlights at dusk, and the auto option and fog lights.Car looks new even though it is 7 years old.

It handles more stiffly than a Honda. Low end acceleration is a bit pokey. To me it is a better cruiser than a sport sedan. Conti's are ok for me.Use only premium fuel.. gave up on the idea of saving pennies and wasting dollars. Maintenance is higher, it just is...nothing you can do.. it ticks off my wife, but it is my car. That is why I bought a used one. Oil changes cost me $100 plus.. again made wife mad :mad: , but can go further btw changes. Wish I could get satellite radio.. have the right 'head' but getting the other parts has been a challenge.

I agree with Shipo's many comments about keeping up with maintenance. It may cost me more but I think it will pay off. I enjoy driving the car and I feel I made an informed purchase due to the folks on this Board...

Thanks..... Hoosier BMW
    Maintenance is higher, it just is...nothing you can do.. it ticks off my wife, but it is my car. That is why I bought a used one. Oil changes cost me $100 plus.. again made wife mad , but can go further btw changes.

Have you considered changing the oil yourself? It's dead easy on an E39. Oil and a filter will run @$60. Join BMW CCA, most dealers and shops offer CCA discounts. A good indie BMW tech will likely save you money as well.

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Any thoughts on what to look out for when looking at used 540it's and the M5? I ask b/c I'm not as familiar with these larger engines and possible issues.

I'm seeing a few out there with 75K miles, offered for $14K (540it) to $18K (M5). I'm sure maintenance will be pricey, but I'd like to go in with my eyes "wide open" for any potential major issues.

Thanks.
  • firstforkjimfirstforkjim Member Posts: 4
    Cooling (rad, water pump) and electrical systems are well documented trouble areas. Tranny and engine issues, if/when occur, are very expensive to fix. Massively expensive if M5. Having or finding independent BMW mechanic with BMW-specific training/tools essential for happy long-term ownership. Finding well-maintained unit (in excess of factory spec. if possible) equally essential. With those two conditions, what you spend in repair and maintenance you will more than save in depreciation.
    I almost bought a 2003 540i Sport in January 2009, but I decided to be practical and keep my Mazdaspeed 3. Big mistake. Right now I have my eye on a 2000 M5 that I'm hoping to pick up for less than 16K. BMWtips.com and m5board.com are excellent places to do a little research. The S62 seems to be a fairly reliable engine; most problems you may encounter are relatively minor(if not necessarily cheap to fix)- such as thermostats, VANOS solenoids, etc. Other than that, you just have the typical E39 maladies such as suspension bushings, window regulators, and radiators.

I spoke to an independent BMW mechanic last night and he said to expect to spend $2K-$3K annually for the M5... or roughly 50% more than for the 540 (as an example, he said that the all four brakes on the M5 would run $2K). Now, I could justify this because I should only need to do the brakes every 4 years or so.

He basically said that it would make more sense to get the 540 w/manual transmission.

Is this what you guys had in mind, cost-wise?
    I spoke to an independent BMW mechanic last night and he said to expect to spend $2K-$3K annually for the M5... or roughly 50% more than for the 540 (as an example, he said that the all four brakes on the M5 would run $2K).

Aside from brakes, I can't see where he's getting those numbers. Do more parts fail on the S62? Are said parts more expensive? A combination of the two? With regards to the brakes, you can get Centric rotors and StopTech pads from Zeckhausen Racing for $608. Several M5 board members have used them with no complaints. Either do the install yourself(it's very simple) or have your indie guy do it.

From what he was saying is that all of the parts are more expensive. I'll have to call another indy to get a second opinion of what my potential out of pocket expense will be.

Funny that you mentioned the MS3-- I started my process of really wanting to get a hatch/wagon but couldn't find one that was RWD and manual transmission. Though, I did consider the MS3 and GTI (GTI seems nice, but I feel a bit old for it). The 3 and 5-series wagons are hard to come by with a stick, so I've migrated to the 5-series (and I have a preference for the E39 body style / fewer electronics).

Why are you eyeing a 2000 model year, instead of an '01-'03?
    Why are you eyeing a 2000 model year, instead of an '01-'03?

I'm looking at a specific car that has passed a thorough PPI and is priced right. I can always upgrade the Nav system to a Mk. IV- and the Celis lights and LED tails as well.

• outnspaceoutnspace Member Posts: 1
    You can save yourself lots of money by changing the oil yourself. It is so simple on this car, it takes about 15 minutes to do. The oil filter is topside with a screw on canister and the oil drain plug underneath the car. With the money I save I use lubro-moly oil, which is more pricey than your average oil but the best oil for this car.
  • dechodecho Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,
    currently own a 97 e39 w/160k. got clipped in the rear and ins paid me 4500.00 for repair. It;s still my daily driver, I kept the money and am considering purchasing an '03 530i steptronic, CWP and PP with 72k.
    Many friends think I'm weird buying the same car but it's been a bullet (typical radiator problems/window reg).
    New car is local at dealer, full service records; dealer recently replaced fuel pump, alternator/generator. I want to offer them 12k for the car....thoughts?
    If you get it for $12K from a dealer, that would be a steal.. That's a really nice car (as you know), and the last year for that model... I can see why you want another one..

I'm guessing your current ride won't be worth much with the $4500 in damage...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator