Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a used 5 Series

1234568»

Comments

• dechodecho Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the reply. Although I agree with the 12k being a great deal ,the dealers first offer was 13500.00. I've been out of the car buying game for a while and the numbers for this one seem to be 20% either way. I don't expect to hold onto this one as long as I did my previous one- but u never know.
    whats a good price in your opinion?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    7 year old cars are hard to appraise without seeing them.. Since you already own one, you'll be the best judge.

If it's a good color, and optioned well, with no significant accident history, then $13,500 could be a good price. It certainly has low miles for an '03.

If you have it checked out, and you are sure that it's the car you want, then even at his current price, it can't be a bad deal... As always, when it comes to buying cars... lower price is always better.. lol..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laderakingladeraking Member Posts: 69
    Price $20,995
    Mileage 56,000
    Body Style Sedan
    Exterior Color Blue
    Interior Color Black
    Transmission Automatic
    Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear

I drove it and it is super nice. Car Fax is clean.
  • dechodecho Member Posts: 20
    bet u can do better..auction prices are around 18k...trends in kuxury imports are that installed options get the premium price. for the 5 series it would be NAV and sport package,xenons,...leather and heated seats are basically standard..consider that I recently looked at a 2010 5 series with MSRP of ~50k...and an ipod adapter was a 300.00 option!...standard in a toyota.!...
    but......there is no equal when it comes to driving!
  • mrmayormrmayor Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2008 535 and want some advice on the purchase. I am very fearful of maintenance issues on a BMW but love the way a BMW looks and drives. I am 35 years old and have only owned two cars since I was 16. That being said, I like to keep my cars for a long time. A few questions, is the maintenance record on a BMW as bad as some of these discussion forums sound, is the 535 a good choice compared to the 525, 528 and 530 options, should I go i or xi and what should I expect to pay for one with about 30,000 miles? Everything I see on cars.com is in the $39,900 price range which seems high compared to some other forums. Also, what advice can you give on making sure I get a good vehicle, without any previous damage and no previous maintenance issues...aside from it going through the CPO program? All in all, is the 535 a good choice and can I get 7-10 years of life out of it without paying an arm and a leg to maintain it? I am a bizarre mix of wanting the styling and performance while having a finance hot button. I don't want to waste a lot of money keeping the car on the road seeing as how I am already spending a lot of money to put it there. Thanks for any and all advice!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    If you want to keep a BMW 5er long-term with a minimum of hassle I would strongly recommend that you buy one fitted with a naturally aspirated(i.e. no turbo) inline six- such as a 528i or 530i. I'd also advise going with a rear wheel drive model. If you have to deal with severe winter driving conditions you can buy a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack and simply use that set during the winter months. A CPO car will have a warranty on the expensive bits until 100K, so that may be an important consideration. That said, I believe all the hysteria over BMW running costs is really overblown. My wife drives a 2004 X3 with over 95,000 miles on it. It's required one warranty repair- a passenger seat airbag sensor. The Inspection II(major) service cost @$400 at our local dealer. An Oil Service and brake fluid flush cost $150. Depending where you live you may be better off finding a good indie BMW tech. I'd also recommend joining the BMW Car Club as many dealers and shops offer Club discounts on parts/labor. I've owned nine BMWs since 1983(I currently have three in the garage)- and in my experience BMW ownership won't bankrupt you if you do your homework.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    Any idea what the approximate auction price might have been for a 2009 535i Sports Wagon with 14.9K for miles? Car has manual transmission and is essentially loaded. It stickered @ $68.5k. Car was driven by CA dealership person for a little less than a year, then auctioned off @ Pacific SW auction. Also, car has had 2 HPFP replacements already: 10-09, 12-09. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    It's not particularly likely that someone would have an auction price for you - that's not info that's available to the general public. Are you thinking of buying it? If so, there are better ways to determine a good price, and we can help you with that.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jd08limitedjd08limited Member Posts: 19
    Thinking of purchasing this vehicle offered at 49934 include value pac, premium pac, navigation-space gray, natural brown leather brand new: any thoughts or things to be wary of? My wife drives about 9000 a year, so not a lot of miles-how about turbo life expectancy? Thanks,
  • canongate1canongate1 Member Posts: 13
    I am a previous female owner of (2) 32 series BMW's the last purchase was a 2005 330I well my son is in college & his car broke down that is my old 1997 328I so I will be giving him mine. My freind recently bought a 2005 528i for 24,000 drive out with only 34,000 miles. Are there any deals out there like this there were no carfax issues either.

Thanks
  • pcmanpcman Member Posts: 8
    For those interested in purchasing a used 2008 535...

I purchased such a car one year ago. I bought it off the internet sight unseen from an individual. No CPO. It had 29k miles on it. Of course I made this purchase after driving lots of cars to see what i wanted to shop for. The BMW drove the best hands down. I looked at Infiniti G37/ M37/ M45, Audi A6, Lexus, Merdedes E350, Acura RL. I love to drive hard though, and thats where the bmw shined. If i just commuted leisurely and listened to the radio id probably buy the Acura.

So far so good. Each and every day i cannot wait to get in this car and drive it. Its added a whole new dimension to my life. The only issue ive had is that my drive to work is only a mile and i had to buy a battery tender to keep the battery satisfactorily charged. At first the idea of having to do this really irked me but its turned out to be no big deal. I still have another 10 months of warranty from the factory and a 3rd pty warranty after that. Hopefully this will keep my wallet out of the fire for a few more years.

If you're considering one of these cars and you like to pay attention to the way a car drives you absolutely cannot go wrong. Further inquiries welcome.
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2010
    I have been driving BMW's for 26 years. My current 2008 535Xi is being taken back by BMW through trade assist because of the HPFP malfunction with the twin turbo engine. ( This is the reason for the change to the single turbo engine in the 2011 535 and 335 models.) Apparently, 25-30% of these cars have this issue. ( According to BMW of North America) When it does malfunction, it is extremely dangerous. The 535 2008 is the best driving BMW I have ever driven, so it was disappointing to have this dangerous defect .
    I am only mentioning this for those in the market for a 2008-2010 535 or 335 models.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I just ran across an ad for a bone stock 2002 540i 6-Speed "weekend driver" with only 40,000 original miles. The seller is asking a premium price (and justifiedly so), however, said premium is rather over the top. Geez I'm tempted. :)
    Those are really sweet cars. I was high bid on a 56,000 mile one owner E28 M5 on eBay but the auction was ended early... :mad:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I found a beautiful E34 540i 6-Speed, unfortunately the owner wanted more than most E39 540i 6-Speeds on the market with the same number of miles. Yeesh!
    How about this puppy?

Nice but not for me. Why?

- I'm not a fan of the 2003 M5esque schnozzle for cars other than the M5 of course
    - The price is high for that many miles, the 2002 with 40,000 looks to be in better shape and about the same price.
    - I know others might disagree, but silver is not my favorite color on BMWs

Thanks for lookin' ;)
    I actually like the 2003 540i six speed. It's essentially the same as a European E39 with the M Sport package. I looked at the car today and it is very clean, but I didn't drive it. If it was about $3K less and Topaz Blue I'd bring it home myself...

If it was $3,000 less and Topaz Blue I'd be interested in it as well. :)
  • stepwatstepwat Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used 5 series. I test drove a 2008 550i and loved it. I wasn't looking for such a big engine or performance, but alas, not sure I'll be happy with a 528 or 535 now...

I test drove the 528 and was disappointed after having driven the 550.

My question is:

I can get a 2008 550i with 34K miles for about $35K. Not CPO. Or I found a 2006 550i with 41K miles and CPO for around $27K.

Any major differences in the two? One is one owner, the other is two owner (2006).
  • cristindcristind Member Posts: 1
    We are former 3 series sportwagon owners - had an amazing experience, bought the car new.

I'm in the market for a new car - and I'd love to get a 5 series wagon. My price range limits me to 2006/7 used 5 series (530xi).

A lot of them have been detailed - and look great - but I'm looking for advice on what I should be really looking for. Timing belts, water pumps, brakes ... etc.

If I found something that I was serious about, I would have it inspected by a BMW dealer before making a purchase, but I'd like some basic knowledge about the car and things I should be avoiding.

Most cars in my price range are 75k miles and up ... highest I've seen is 120k miles.

Would appreciate any advice the group has around shopping in this mileage/age bracket.

Thanks...
  • dasyrhddasyrhd Member Posts: 9
  • dasyrhddasyrhd Member Posts: 9
    In the market for a 08 528i. I have found several CPOs with <30k miles for about $29-30k.

Just wondering what kind of OTD offers I should be giving for these vehicles?

I was expecting to offer in the range of $29-30k OTD.

Anyone else recently purchased a 08?
  • captmorgn86captmorgn86 Member Posts: 1
    Good evening. I am looking for some advice on a possible car purchase. First off i currently drive a 99 Acura TL with 205k miles. It is time to be replaced. I have found a 2001 BMW 525. It is very nice, test drove it today. White with M5 bumper and spoiler, so has a more aggressive look. However it has more miles that i normally purchase a car with. It has 171k miles. The car is priced at 5800. The engine is very clean. And it drove absolutely a like a dream. I was wondering if it is a vechicle that would be a good deal, or one i should avoid, and look at something with less miles.

Thank you so much for your time. Any advice is much apperciated.
    Justin
  • y2001y2001 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought an 08 528xi (original sticker $55,020) with 35,500 miles for $28k/OTD $30k. Also took the promotion of 3 payment credits. Very happy with the car. First time buying a CPO car, hoping to enjoy the car for years to come.
  • rajeev_rairajeev_rai Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to buy a '08 535xi for under the .9% BMW finance promotion for 33900 with about 31700 miles. Black with Beige interior. This has the premium package with nav, premium, cold weather package, rear heated seat and park assisst.

New tires as part of CPO, brakes are still 10 mm left...What do the gurus say about this pricing. It is in the twincities area. Also is it recommended to buy the maintenance plan for 2k or so..

All help is appreciated...i saw 528 on this forum for 28k which seems awesome deal...

KRK
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    I'm in the same boat as rajeev raj. I'm eyeing a CPO 2009 535xi with 28k miles. Blue on beige with auto, navigation, premium package, cold weather package, xenox highlights, sunroof, ipod integration. I'm not sure what I should offer or what is a good deal on this vehicle. List is about 37k, any advice? I'm in the NJ area, car is actually located about 125 miles away in MA.
  • car_dcar_d Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 525xi for $28,250, OTD in New Jersey. It has the navigation, sports and cold weather package. The car has 47,000 miles. There were two previous owners, first was a lease and the second a CPO purchase. There's still 19 months of CPO warranty left on the car, 6 years or 100k miles. . The car drives very well. We will see how it works out. This is my first BMW and pre-owned/CPO car
  • portmanportman Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at two 2010 528ix's - both were dealer service loaners. Both about 24K miles, in service dates of Aug 09 and Dec 09 respectively. One is paltinum gray / gray interior, the other jet black/black. Both very clean. Both offered at 38,900, neither is certified. I am thinking of having the one I choose certified to get the extra warranty and inspection. Likely I will get that included in the price. Is this a good price? Any comments on reliability / service? I have an older A6 now (99) that has been pretty good, but man when something does break it is expensive!
  • beesanbeesan Member Posts: 1
    Hi drgums,

I have a 2008 528i and my warranty is about to expire in 2 months. I bought the car used it's not CPO.

Curious to know if you purchased an extended warranty or maintenance plan on your BMW?

Have you had any issues at all? I ran into a dead battery issues a month ago, but that's about it.

I'm on the fence.

Thanks!

Vince
  • txscot1txscot1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Houston, TX and am looking to pick up a CPO 2008 535i. I have driven a vehicle with the following spec; 36,300 miles, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Nav and Logic 7 sound system. Asking prices is $35,991 which seems to be a little higher than the guide prices that I find online.

I's appreciate any comments or feedback on pricing of the vehicle and what I should expect to be paying.

Thanks
  • jtavisjtavis Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at 03 525i Florida dealer asking $11,550.00 has 74,000 miles. I am replacing my 95 jag that has 50,000 miles. Had a new transmission and the car has run right since at a cost of $4,000. Has been at repair shop 12 weeks that can not tell me what is wrong. I see legal action coming. Will I be happy with 525?is the price right Thanks
  • lorjas2klorjas2k Member Posts: 5
    I am working with a dealer in Pittsburgh, PA on a used 2012 528i xDrive with the following:

17,500 miles
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Technology Package

After some initial discussions, he is quoting me at $45,850 (not including tax and reg). I am thinking there is still some room for him to go down, but wanted to see if anyone had an idea if this price is in the ballpark of a fair deal.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You might post this in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and see what folks there think of the price.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thematrixthematrix Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Hello All,

My first post on the forums and would like to get educated here from fellow buyers..
    I am planning to buy a 2007 BMW 530xi black w/black interior (67000 miles) used from a private party. It has no warranty remaining. Service records upto date, however most of the maintainance was done with a Euro mechanic and not at BMW dealer..The owner still owes money to BMW finance..asking price is $17000.00

Is this worth taking the risk, knowing no warranty available. Any potential issues to keep in mind..transmission failures etc at this age...

Please suggest..
  • mr_mmr_m Member Posts: 2
    If you own one or owned one please share your experience. :confuse:
    looking to buy used, 2008-2009 528i or 535i xDrive and I need to know if it worth a money
    I know it drives and handles well but, I see lot mixed reviews. just how reliable is this car!?
    what it the major problems if there is any? (i know German car is fun to drive, but some is pain in the a.. )

Thank you..