Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• ddrydenddryden Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 dodge 3500 diesel with the 6 speed manual has a problem with all gages going to zero. When this happens chimes for low fuel etc. go off and the gages recover. The pickup truck never has a issue of running badly but lately when this happens the wiper will go to the low speed constant on when they are in the intermediate setting. I also have had the head light turn off and on at their own will when the dash gages go to zero.
  • inthedark1inthedark1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500, the instrument lights do not work, the cluster gauges work fine. I have changed all the bulbs, checked all the fuse. The dimmer control works for the odometer and radio, but no instrument lights, can anyone help?

Thanks
  • inthedark1inthedark1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500, the instrument lights do not work, the cluster gauges work fine. I have changed all the bulbs, checked all the fuse. The dimmer control works for the odometer and radio, but no instrument lights, can anyone help? I also discovered that the heater controls, radio buttons, and steering wheel controls are not lighting up either. Anyone have a guess??
  • keith96keith96 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as what you guys are trying to solve, but might have a little more info that could help. I was replacing my hood hinges a few weeks ago, I had to remove the hood in order to do so. I unbolted the hood, and cut the wires to the under the hood light, but i had forgotten to disconnect the battery when i did this, and got a small spark as i cut the wires. I replaced the hinges and mounted the hood again, and reconnected the wires, but now the radio, dome light, and glovebox light arent working. I checked all the suspect fuses but didnt find any bad ones, i even tested them w a voltmeter,so I suspect it is a bad relay, but the haynes manual gives very little info on relays. Does anyone know which relay is connected to these items, and if there is a quick way to test if it is good? And if its not the relay, then what else could it be? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help with this
  • keith96keith96 Member Posts: 2
    Ok so i did some more research and found out that its the IOD fuse that causes this problem. This fuse is connected to the mirrors, dome light, radio, hood light, key ring light, and several others. Inside the cab on the drivers side between the door and the instrument panel is the interior fuse box. Fuse 12, (the first fuse on the bottom row) is the fuse you are looking for. It is protected by a black plastic cover, this is used by mechanics to quickly disable things that are causing battery drain. Pull the black cover straight out, then the face of the cover is hinged and latched on the side facing the engine, using pliers or I used the fuse puller provided on the fuse box cover, unlatch the the little door and you should be able to pull the fuse out. As soon as I put in a new fuse everything started working again! I hope this helps out! good luck!
  • michiganrammichiganram Member Posts: 1
    Well, hopefully anybody/everybody else with this problem gets it resolved with such an easy fix as you described dodgefan99...BECAUSE IT WORKED FOR ME!
  • lshe1970lshe1970 Member Posts: 1
    did you find out the problem i have the same year of dodge and it does the same thing. i went to turn high beams on and the lights went out but the fog lights stayed on. swithced back to low beam and they stayed on. but ever so often my ligths still go off on low beam. but it don't do it all the time.
  • aznchicmollyaznchicmolly Member Posts: 3
    i have the same truck with the same problem a few months back all i did was switch the light bulbs of the brake lights and the signal light and problem solved hopefully it does same for you
  • 06dually4x406dually4x4 Member Posts: 4
    When I put on my left turn signal the right turn lights (inside and outside) will blink. Then the right signal won't work at all. I thought I would start at the signal flasher unit but at the parts store they told me it's integrated into my computer. Any ideas?? How about wiring diagrams too? Help!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The parts store is correct. Such previous electromechanical functions are now handled by the body control module (BCM).

More than likely, the computer thinks a bulb is failing or has failed... I had a fender bender in my 05 dually a couple of years ago, and the right front turn signal was broken in the collision - when I pulled over and turned on the hazard lights, EVERY exterior light except for the white ones took over hazard duty - this included all the roof, rear fender, and tailgate clearance lights.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    That was going to be my first attempt to fix the problem. I was able to get the 3157na bulbs but not the w5w bulbs. When they come in I'm changing all the bulbs...
  • slimbo2slimbo2 Member Posts: 1
    First time posting so probably won't do this right. Have a 98 2500 4x4 diesel and just came back from a trip. Ran great but next morning the ABS and brake lites remained lit and the speedometer and odometer were inoperative. So far I haven't gotten a NO BUSS msg. Read dodgefan99 post Jun 14, 2008 and not quite sure about the screw mentioned. I have a large hex hd screw with phillips slot that is listed as "Engine Inline". Backing out that screw came up snug and I didn't want to force it. Help would be appreciated.
  • mka1957mka1957 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 will not start. The dome light came on when I opened the door to get in, but when I put the key in and turned it to start, the starter kicked breifly once and everything went out. Dash, domelight, everything is dead and the truck will not start. There is now a faint clicking noise like a relay repeatedly clicking over and over again, even with no key in the ingnition. When i opened the hood, the engine compartment light comes on , but flickers in time with the clicking noise. Any ideas?
    After changing all the bulbs the problem still exsisted. So I had a thought.... Since everthing is ran by computers now, I thought I would re-boot my truck. It seems to have worked, for now at least!!! I disconnected both batteries for about 15 minutes and then gave it a try, so far so good. Now if I can only remember how to change my clock.
    Pretty soon, the dash will have a full QWERTY keyboard, and we can just hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete for that (he said, dripping with deadly sarcasm towards the automakers).

• dirtmover69dirtmover69 Member Posts: 3
    I tried to install led lights on my 05 ram 1500 ,when I plug the lights in they light up even with the key off and removed .When I do test them the turn flashes erratically and so does the stop when the brake is pressed.Is there an after market controller for these? or are they like a windows computer (random glitches and malfunctions)?I have talked to the dodge dealer and they have never heard of this.. :confuse:
    I'm not too sure if your truck has an electronic control box or not.
    I would start by disconnecting everything that you added for those lights, disconnect it at the power source.
    Now see how your original system is working. If there is still a problem see if dissconecting the battery for 15 minutes will work for you too...
    Good Luck
    Biggest problem with adding LEDs to a vehicle that wasn't delivered with them is, the computer will not necessarily recognize them as actually being on properly, since LEDs have a very different (lower) current draw - the computer doesn't see the resistance it expects and tries to analyze a problem that actually isn't there.

The company that made the LEDs should be aware of this issue, and they should be your first call for help.

• dirtmover69dirtmover69 Member Posts: 3
    thank you for the info .I have also heard there is an adapter that will plug in to make the voltage read better.I will call first to make sure though.
  • yz125gurl388yz125gurl388 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 02' dodge ram 1500 that did the exact same thing today that stranded me in the bank parking lot. i was woundering if you have heard anything about the problem??
  • heaton44heaton44 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 dodge 1500 4.7 liter 4x4 long bed four door and i took it in to have a cd player installed and when i got it back i noticed the i no longer had to press the brake to shift from park, my lights and dome light will not turn on unless the truck is turned on, and the cd player resets every time the truck is shut off any advice???????
  • dezrailerdezrailer Member Posts: 1
    My left side lights all went out at the same time. The marker lights in the headlight assy, rear license plate lights, and tail lights are all out. The brake lights turn signals and head lights still work. The bulbs and fuses all look fine but replaced bulbs and fuses still didnt help.
    I traded fuses with the right side and no help.
    I checked the right side power in to fuse was12 volts. Power in for the left side light fuse is only 3.3 volts.
    Does anyone have any ideas.
    Thanks
  • paoulpaoul Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Ram1500 Quad cab, my parking lights won't go off. I have to pull relay to get them to go out any ideas whats wrong?
  • chris187chris187 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting a lamp out alarm on my 2002 ram 1500 when I activate either blinker or my flashers. It only comes on when my headlights or park lights are on. I have replaced both headlights, all my tail lights and even the circuit board in the rear. none of those fixed it. All my lights work. The alarm blinks in sync with the blinker or flasher and goes away once I turn off the headlights or the blinkers. It drives me nuts because the buzzer constantly goes off with it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    If you're positive that all the lights are functioning properly when the turn signals or hazard lights are selected (be sure to check with and without the headlights on), then you may need to "reboot" your truck. Disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes (you will have to reset your radio/clock), then reconnect and see if that helps.

• chillywilly4chillywilly4 Member Posts: 1
    my taillights did the same thing i replaced the relay but the tailights still didnt work.anyone got a clue yet?
  • kbettorfkbettorf Member Posts: 2
    Was your security (red light on the dash) light flashing too? 2002 Dodge Ram did exact same thing today. Did you find out what it was?
  • monty1211monty1211 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem. What was the cause? I need to perform the same repair. You can email me at eku1211@att.net
    thank you
    monty
  • jasonbiggyjasonbiggy Member Posts: 4
    Hey-Jason here-did anyone find out what is wrong the lights? I the exact same truck with the exact same problem. :mad: Could someone please e mail me or answer this post-I'm at a loss why my lights all of a sudden quit :confuse: -I'm a diesel mechanic and I realize the solution would be easy (more than likely) if I worked on dodges everyday ;) . Thanks for any help-Jason
    My marker lights just suddenly quit-all other lights work normally-does anyone know what the fix is? I've checked all the fuses-their good-I believe the relays are good also-Has anyone had this problem- '04 dodge 2500-thanks
  • whisenhuntwhisenhunt Member Posts: 1
    Have a 01 dodge ram 4x4 diesel
    when you get to 2000 RPM the bright lights flicker on and stay on till you let off the fuel ? the head lights are not on when this happens and it dose not have daytime running lights.
    any suggestions ?
    Thanks
  • domsplacedomsplace Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with a 2004 ram 2500. Parking lights won't turn off unless I pull the relay. Tha taillights will go off when I turn on the hi-beams. Any Ideas?? I already changed the module attached to the fuse box and the hi-beam switch
    Hey-I wouldn't be able to help you on this one-I posted my marker lights inop-all other lights work correctly-anyways-I posted that on 2 different sites with no replys-I was going to take it in after hunting I guess-what module are you taking about that is attached to the fuse box? Thanks-Jason
  • laas99laas99 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Ram with the exteded cab that has the suicide style back doors. The guy I bought it from had a little too much to drink and drove into his garage. Now the back doors wont open, when you pull on the handle the top lock opens, but the bottom one doesn't release. I'm wondering if its a safety mechanism the locks those doors in a collision, so the passenger don't go off flying.

Thaks for the help

i can be emailed at laas99@sbcglobal.net
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    My left sig lights were intermittent,then would flash the right side lights.Checked fuses but thought it was the switch.Tilted the steering wheel down a bit and they work.Must be a slip ring contact in the steering column that wasn't quite connecting at that certain angle.
  • jwd007jwd007 Member Posts: 1
  • txtinmantxtinman Member Posts: 2
    When I try to lock or unlock my doors, the locks make a sound as though they are trying to work, but the locks do not move. I could use some help trouble shooting this problem. The locks are on my 1997 1500.
  • txtinmantxtinman Member Posts: 2
  • mjzamccabemjzamccabe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 with the same ptoblem.. 30 seconds after I shut the truck off, the fog lights come on and stay on until I open the door, or if I cam in the truck for the 30 seconds, turn on the ignition. I have resorted to disconnecting the battery every time I walk away from the truck.. did you get a resolution?

Thanks

Jerry
  • sourysoury Member Posts: 1
    Keith96, seems that you're right. I was wondering why my radio fuse on the driver-side junction block was intact but I have no constant to my radio. Hm... My switching circuit was ok, but my 12 volt constant is gone. I was in my truck for good 15 minutes trying to install my radio (in the dark!) and never noticed that my dome lights are out! You know,, I must have tested the fuses, removed the junction block twice but never did inspect that fuse simply because it was covered and just never thought to remove the cover & test it.
  • ronfun70ronfun70 Member Posts: 1
    Code PO 132 KEEPS COMING UP. THERES A SHORT IN THE WIRING SOMEWHERE.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    P0132 is oxygen sensor #1 Bank1. Check for frayed or broken wires going to the sensor before replacing it. Bank #1 is on the drivers side on 5.2 and 5.9 liter engines. Sensor #1 is mounted before the cat, usually at or near the manifold.
    Corkscrew
  • danrogers50danrogers50 Member Posts: 2
    Chimes sound lights in dash brighten head lights come on and off gages go off then come back on wipers go crazey. I took it to Dodge dealer they changed parts and charged me $3000. and fixed not one thing does any one know what the problem is ? Ready to trade for chevy
    I have a 2005 Ram1500 Quad cab, 5.7l my parking lights won't go off. I have to pull relay to get them to go out any ideas whats wrong? also if i put on high beems then the marker lights will go out till i turn high beems off or shut off the truck then they are back on
    any luck on fixing your problem. I have been told to change my fuse box not the fcm but i guess this part is expensive and i am reluctant to do so unless i know for sure this is the problem since this part is somewhere is the $400 area.
  • jskoz1jskoz1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Ram 2500 with the V-10 powerplant, 88k miles and in relatively good shape. Just put in a new battery (old one was only 1+/- year old) and have a short that will drain it dead in approx 2-3 days. Where do I start looking for the problem? Does anyone know if there is circuit or component I should check first. Generator seems to be charging fine when the truck is running...
  • dougepoodougepoo Member Posts: 1
    :(
  • 6emges6emges Member Posts: 1
    All help would be great. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. I hooked up a trailer wireing harness and I now have no break or turn signals but still have parking lights. I have checked all fuses and all were good. What should I do next. I am at a lose on this. Should I cut the wires where I spliced in the harness and conect them back together with out the harness?
  • spookyengspookyeng Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Dodge ram 1500, 137k miles 5.7L, Had the ABS and airbag light on the dash come on and then the power windows, fan blower and speedometer do not work. Problem went away when I tilted the steering wheel down, but now no matter where the steering wheel is positioned, the 2 lights are on and the windows spedometer and fan do not work. Also, my low beams won't work but the High beams work fine. I have checked all the fuses both under the hood and on the drivers side near the door jamb, and also looked at all the connections under the dash near the steering column. Is there a common Junction box or bus where all these systems have wires going through that could be causing this, or is it a BCM or PCM problem? Thanks in advance for any help :confuse:
  • blainersblainers Member Posts: 2
    :) Hello...Happy New Year. I have an electrical problem with my tail lights and signals. It all started when my right tail lights grounded off on the tail pipe. Then I noticed that we didn't have any tail lights, no brake lights, no signals but we had head lights. 2 no. 15 fuses in the fuse block were blown. one 15 fuse at the power distribution center was blown. When I would change the 15 fuse, use my left signal, it works but when I turn on my right signal, it blows the fuse in the fuse block. I tried other multi function switch connectors and made sure they were tight and grounded off. I tried head light switch, as soon as I turn on the head light switch, it blows a fuse. I changed the whole steering wheel. When we're driving, we can hear electrical shorts. We do have brake lights and reverse lights. No problem with the head lights changing from dim to brights. Now I'm going to check the wire going from the fuse block F3320PKRDB2C206; head lamp switch. (When I move the headlamp switch, which is grounded good; when I turn the head lamp switch, the lights come on the dash/cluster for a quick second until I move the switch just a little. I recut the wires in the head light switch and plugged them back in.) So its gotta be the PINK wire that I'll be trying next..... wow eh?! did you get all that? In the manual it says,"Check the wiring for short before installing new furses". The wiring and fuses are okay in the distribution center and the flasher units A and B are brand new. I also checked with a test light on the fuse block, on the bottom 15 fuse, the one that is always hot, has power but the PINK wire has no power to the fuse block. Plus I checked the fusable link and thats good. :shades: I hope someone out there got all that and could get back to me with your ideas. My lil red truck is kewl, lol she's a Cree truck with a fast motor, which I work on on my own. Her name is Saykayow Peyasis. Cree for the Vehicle who flys!