Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• indianmanindianman Member Posts: 1
    check the connection.. where you would hook up trailer,(rear of truck) mine was melted together , where the " Y " is .... take off tape . look good .. inspect line from front of cab to back or cut brakewire from front and run new line to the back ( try once you cut line turn on truck to see if brake lite goes on ) if its on its fuse together . some where from firewall to rear of truck good luck !
  • micoonhuntermicoonhunter Member Posts: 1
    My 04 ram is doing the same exact thing. No turn signals, except passenger side back. No brake or turn on drivers back. No turn signals on from, either side. One head light on dims on passenger side and one on high beams on driver side. I have all my running lights. Just happened all of a sudden. Checked bulbs and all check well. I would be greatfull for any help......
  • arnie59arnie59 Member Posts: 2
    Sitting in driveway dogs barking at truck.... seems the entire rear end of the brake light
    system lights up/stays on, for no apparent reason? watched it and in a few seconds it flickered then
    went out by itself. occurs both with trailer attached and by itself.... No electrical problems
    since purchased 22000 miles ago.
  • arnie59arnie59 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    truck sitting in the rain today and I watched the third brake light and the
    right rear tail light on the attached trailer come on for no reason at all?
    seems if it were the brake switch all the lights on that circuit would flicker
    at the same time but they don't. 1. I hope the battery doesn't run down,
    2. hopefully the truck won't go up in flames from a short under the dash or
    where ever the problem is?
  • 03ram103ram1 Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same issue with my truck what did you do to fix it
  • topnotch1topnotch1 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same exact problem that dgegirl84 has with her 2002 dodge if someone knows whats causing this i sure could use the help in fixing this problem
  • cornwellcornwell Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get an answer on the fix for the lights? same year same problem here!
  • grizzzzgrizzzz Member Posts: 1
    Jason,
    I have a 2002 and it is doing the same thing. Did you get your problem fixed and if yes what was it? Ive already replaced fuses, headlight switch and checked everything else but no luck with the problem.
    Chuck
  • tonyguizzettitonyguizzetti Member Posts: 1
    I have a lighting issue with my 03 dodge 1500 hemi same thing left side doesn't work bulbs are all fine the turn signal comes on and no head light still. do you have an answer. [email protected] email as well.
  • jeffl6jeffl6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Ram 1500 with factory tow package. The marker lights on the trailer will go out while driving. Lights will go out after half mile to 30 miles of driving but the trailer brake/turn lights and electric brakes work fine. This does not happen every time though. After you stop and restart the truck, trailer lights will work again. I have replaced trailer 7 pin plug and cable and all trailer lights work. Any help would be great.
  • chrisl1477chrisl1477 Member Posts: 2
    I have finally figured out my electrical gremlin issue with my 2004 Ram 2500 5.7l HEMI. The light going bright to dim and on occasion the headlights(only) would go ot so I decided to remove the entire dash from the truck and chase every wire. While I was removing the instrument cluster I observed that one of the plugs was partially unplugged. I plugged it in all the way until I heard and felt it lock into place. I then started the vehicle and checked the lights and they were all working perfectly. It has been over a week now and my old problems have not returned at all. I'm sure if this is the solution to all of your problems but it worked for me. The good thing is that it isn't all that difficult to remove the dash and be able to get a good look at all your wires. It is a possibility that anyone that has installed an after market auto start system in their RAMS may have some of these issues. A couple other RAM owners that have talked to with the auto start feature have expierenced similar problems. If I get any other info with this problem I will advise further. Thanks to all that have answered questions here and Thank You to Edmunds for the forum.
  • illbbackillbback Member Posts: 2
    Same problem. At my wits end. All lighting worked properly when truck was parked;"Lamp Out" illuminated when I started it at the end of the day and all the described problems began. Bulbs have been replaced all around. The suddeness of problem seems to suggest a relay?
  • illbbackillbback Member Posts: 2
    Just stopped by a local dealer to try and get an answer. General consensus is the TIP module (Totally Integrated Power) also known as the fuse box.
    Apparently, Dodge has a corrosion issue which causes this. Dealer price for module: $830.00 plus 1.5 hrs labor = $1000.00
    Will continue searching, for now.
  • shansharshanshar Member Posts: 1
    Some model year 2006 Dodge Ram trucks have the bizarre habit of turning on the wrong turn signal, for instance you are making a right turn and you push the stalk up, the left turn signal turns on. This is an intermittent problem and can be hard to track down. If you have a truck with this problem, you will need the multifunction switch (the turn signal/wiper) replaced. There was a bulletin released and the government is involved so they should know about this.
  • flh62flh62 Member Posts: 1
    same problem as alot of others no directionals, and low beam or rh high on left replaced the fcm still not working. checked all fuses and relays, checked for a signal to fcm i have low beam input on one wire and a high on another hot sure if there should be 2
  • chevelle22chevelle22 Member Posts: 2
    hi
    im having basically the same problem with my 93 cummins did you find any sloution to this ? thannks
  • ramurassramurass Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 1500 ...my passanger headlight will not come on..changed bulbs checked fuse....light works whenever it wants.....i turnd my brights on and only driverside works...everyliight works but the front passanger...no turn signal either ...but if I turn my hazzaeds on both sides work....but passanger side is dim...enyone know a fix?
  • eclips2000ceclips2000c Member Posts: 2
    I found that 2002 and on up.With that the Fuse Box on the fender Rots out PC Board rots out in the box and shorts every thing out >>>> need to replace if you see GREEN corrosion coming out of the weep holes on the bottom of box.
    Witch WATER enters the BOTTOM of Box Through the weep holes
  • eclips2000ceclips2000c Member Posts: 2
    I found that 2002 and on up.With that the Fuse Box on the fender Rots out PC Board rots out in the box and shorts every thing out >>>> need to replace if you see GREEN corrosion coming out of the weep holes on the bottom of box.
    Witch WATER enters the BOTTOM of Box Through the weep holes
  • dpumphreydpumphrey Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 dodge ram pickup 1500, I lost power to my Brake lights, blinkers, horn, windshield wipers and low beams... I checked my fuses and relays which seem fine, Does anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this issue or had the same problem and fixed theirs.. I do have a after market auto start that was installed back in 2003 and never had an issue with that.. I pulled out and checked the auto start to see if there was any loose wires with it and couldn't locate any. Ive noticed several similar complaints on this forum but nothing that anyone has followed up stating they found the point of interest! Please reply
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    All those items are controlled by the body/interior control module... that would be the next thing to check.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • dpumphreydpumphrey Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info, Do you have any idea where i can locate that on my truck...
    That would need to be checked by a shop that can run diagnostics on the computers.

• billb1961billb1961 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I briefly read over your entry and I immediately knew what this issue is what that is casuing your problem. If your talking about turning on the left turn signal and the right side comes on and vice versa and it does all kinds of wacky stuff... Let me just put your mind at ease... It is in the turn signal controller and fortunately I just bougt my truck and it was under warranty... I took it back to carmax and they replaced it free of charge, and about 3 weeks later I got a letter from dodge stating that there is a recall on this component and needs to be fixed immediately and if yo paid to have it fixed send them the reciepts and they will reimburse you... So, hopefully this info was helpful and NOT too late. Check the recalls, and call Dodge... I don't have this info with me but believe me it will be well worth it to have them fix this issue.
  • dodgemaniac12dodgemaniac12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 dodge ram 3500. I believe water got in the door and got on/in one of the door latch actuators, burning it out and sending a signal to the other latch actuators which also burned then out. My rear doors were frozen (I couldn't even manually unlock them) and my passenger front door would lift the lock up when the door handle was pulled out, and lock when the door handle was pushed down. My driver door would open manually with the key. So I replaced all of the door latch actuators except for the front driver side door (I had to stick I thin piece of wood down the door panel and manually open the rear doors). Now all of the doors will unlock and lock manually, but they will only unlock with the power locks and keyless entry, minus the driver side front door. They will not lock with the power locks or keyless entry. If the doors are unlocked, i have to manually lock them all, except for the driver front door. The driver front door will respond to the powerlocks, both to lock and unlock. Its the other 3 doors that are the problem. All of the fuses are fine. Someone said something to me about there being a lock box or lock control unit that might be burnt out? But I don't know where this is located. Also, the power seats aren't working. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it happened at the same time as the locks going bad. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • jshields555jshields555 Member Posts: 4
    yea, so my 04 ram 1500 has no power to anything electrical at all, but the red security light is on when my key is turned off. anyone have any ideas
    Sounds like the security system's kill switch has been activated. Follow the normal instructions for resetting; if that doesn't work, you may need assistance from the dealer.

What are the normal instructions for resetting it? is there a chance that it could be my ECU or does it sound more like the security system?
    If you have the factory security system (Sentry), the instructions should be in your owner's manual folder. Otherwise, the dealership should be able to assist.

If it were an ECU failure, you'd have likely gotten Check Engine lights because the battery would still be functioning. A kill switch disconnects all battery power to prevent the vehicle from being driven.

edited March 2012
    so would that explain the red light on the dash and the buzzing sound I got when the key was turned off and out? it was a solid red light on the lower right corner between the speedometer and oil pressure, and it was buzzing until it drained the battery overnight, it didn't blink at all like it said in all the references in the manual.
    Verify in your owner's manual (the dashboard section) which light it was and what the manual says it means. That will give you something to work with.

ok so now, I got my BCM to reset and restore itself, and got my truck to run and start and all electronics were functioning, I drove it around a bit last night, and started it 4 or 5 times...now this morning i tried starting it, the key turned on and everything worked fine then i went to crank it over, and it just made a clicking noise and everything shut off again.
    That sounds like you've got a short or a bad connection somewhere... that could be tough to trace in the driveway... probably requires a trip to the dealer.

• djvickdjvick Member Posts: 1
    the front control module is connected to the p.d.b.(fuse box). Take the fuse box off and it will be connected to the side of it with 4 screws.
  • rawramrawram Member Posts: 3
    My ram has been having an idling problem and started to shut off. I pulled the ingniton run only fuse 30amp and it idles normal and doesn't shut off. I replaced it but it still does it. Anyone know what it could be?
  • acetech2972acetech2972 Member Posts: 1
    try to locate the abs module behind the batter diconnect the nig side of battery unplug the abs module blow it out with an air hose let it dry for awhile then plug it in and hook battery up and see if it fixes the problem
  • adam5245adam5245 Member Posts: 1
    any luck with this problem?
  • calculator1calculator1 Member Posts: 3
    2010 2500 6.7 diesel. dead batteries after truck sits day or two. first indication opening driver
    door message center say's key in igniton but it is not bell ringing aswif it is. batteries have been
    replaced alternator has been evaluated
  • edward2uedward2u Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same problem, today was the second time to the dealer and today they said they could find nothing wrong, first time they replaced a sensor for the trailer lights, if you or anyone gets a fix please let me know
    Latest fix by dealer was to replace module in dash. Also they individually
    flashed all other modules. Was advised there was a service order pertaining
    to the modules. Do not know witch ones. Truck has sat for three days I have
    checked it each day and have not had problems. My trailer sensor was also
    replaced approximately two month prior to problems
  • edward2uedward2u Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info, will keep handy for next trip tp dealer, how many times did you go to dealer before they decided to flash all modules
    Twice. Has been trouble free for ten days.
  • buff6116buff6116 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure anything out on this? My 09 Ram is having similar issues when it gets wet. driving in the rain and shut it off than you go to start it up and no traction control, no air bags, no wipers, no heater, and the temp gauge is all messed up. This is the second time this has happened to me and last time it took a week to work right again. Who knows this time as it is still raining. Any ideas?
  • ramhead1ramhead1 Member Posts: 15
    I had similar problems a few years ago. The wires in the fusebox under the hood were very short and stretched. This caused them to break and different intermittent electrical problems especially when it was wet. For some reason the two dealers I took the truck to could not find this problem. I butt spliced the broken and/or frayed wires together, and all now works fine. The fuse/relay box is under the hood, by the firewall on the driver side. Good luck.
  • nickrosalesnickrosales Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I found this blog at HIDextra, and it's very informative and helpful for RAM users! I know that Dodge is so normal to have issues at Aftermarket HIDs.

I would suggest that take some time to read this so we can understand better our HID system and to find the right kit for ya'all! :thumb:

http://blog.hidextra.com/dodge-ram-hid-kit-install/
  • jake123466jake123466 Member Posts: 1
    The answer to your problem is replaceing the front cotrol module I had the same problem ... Here is we're you will buy the part http://www.amazon.com/2002-2005-DODGE-COMPUTER-CONTROL-MODULE/dp/B008388SY6 and here is the link on how ">link titleto remove/replace http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/34lsv-replace-front-control-module-2002-dodge-ra- m
  • wildflower67wildflower67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The interior lights/locks and door ajar signals continuously stay on and beep while driving. They stop when I press the brake. If I disconnected the battery for a bit will it reboot and stop this annoying thing? Thanks
  • npiccirellonpiccirello Member Posts: 1
    Question: I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab. I was switching the light bulbs on the drive-side tail light assembly. The driver-side parking lights (tail lights) do not come turn on.
    1. I tested the light bulbs in the passing side assembly and the lights worked.
    2. I tested the assembly on the passenger side and it worked.

If I had pulled the wires to hard could that wire have become disconnected further back?
    Where or what should I check next?

• chrism420chrism420 Member Posts: 1
    My rear bake light keeps blowing i changed the light bar and it still does it its only the bake light that blows what could be causeing this please any help would be great thank you its a 2005 ram 1500 5.7