Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• russnvarussnva Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my Durango. Were you able to get it fixed and what was the problem? Any hope of fixing it myself?
  • pynchjtpynchjt Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2001 Durango SLT 4x4 4.7L V8 that over heats everytime we pull our pop-up camping trailer (3000 lbs max). We have had the thermostat and fan clutch replaced, the system flushed and the radiator thoroughly checked. The dealership recommends a maximum size radiator replacement at a cost of $460. We also find that it over heats when going up steep hills with the RPMs held at 3000 to maintain speed up the hill and this is without pulling a trailer. I don't have any solutions to the overheating problem, but would like to hear any suggestions whether it be equipment or computer related.
  • pynchjtpynchjt Member Posts: 2
    We also have a 2001 Durange SLT 4x4 4.7L V8 and it over heats everytime I pull a pop-up camping trailer (3000 lbs max). We have had the thermostat and fan clutch replaced, the system flushed and the radiator thoroughly checked. The dealership recommends a maximum size radiator replacement at a cost of $460. We also find that it overheats when going up steep hills with the RPMs held at 3000 to maintain speed up the hill and this is without pulling a trailer. I don't know what else to do, but will take your email to the dealership and see what will help. I would like to hear any other suggestions to solve the problem of over heating while towing.
  • crogcrog Member Posts: 3
    At 28,000 Mi. my front rotors had to be turned down and pads replaced on my 2003 Durango. Cost $180.00. The vehicle has 37,000 on it and I am well pleased except for the 14 MPG mileage. I would consider purchasing another Durango. This is my 18th new vehicle since the 1952 Chevy Belair hard top first arrived. I've had them all. No complaints with the service department in my home town.
  • dodgethisdodgethis Member Posts: 1
    there is a recall on the upper ball joints for the durango.
    the dealership will replace it for you for free.first thing i do when shopping for a car or truck is do a surch on any recalls for that car or truck. hope this helps. :):)
  • dinah1dinah1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango SLt 4x4 with 110,750 miles. I average 15. Have gotten up to 18 and as low as 10 in the mountains.

Dinah
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A quiet refresh?

2007 Dodge Durango (Straightline)

Steve, Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have large SUVs but might rent a car to save on gas when going on long trips. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 6, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • becausebecause Member Posts: 1
    chrysler responds to NHTSA with respect to the stalling issue - Feb 20, 2006. Anyone wants a copy of thier response should contact NHTSA - you will be amazed how much they don't care about thier customers or the safety of the public the closing portion of the letter - "DCC believes there is no unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety and this investigation should be closed" My 05 Durango Hemi has stalled over 5 times and it has been captured on the co-pilot installed and they still will not take the car back.
  • bgillardbgillard Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed my durango varies +/- 300 rpm while driving at highway speeds on the interstate usually during a slight incline. Is this normal?
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    Yes, if I drive with jackrabbit starts and 70-75 on the interstate, I average 15-17 mpg. Lately I've been accelerating smoothly and going 55-60 on the interstate - averaging 20-22 mpg. I have an 02 4.7 with 145000 miles on it, still going strong.
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi,
    Here are a few steps you can take to prevent overheating. Install a max. capacity transmission oil cooler ea. 18.or 22.000lbs. from Hayden or equivalent. As you know engine overheating is 90% caused by the transmission. Check your fan blade if it is a four blade metal fan or a seven blade fiberglass fan. If it is a metal blade fan, change it to a seven or nine blade fiberglass fan. You also can purchase a fan clutch for towing. Install a 180 degree thermostat and you will have no more problems. I had to to all this on my Chevy Astro and believe you me no more overheating or other problems anywhere. When the fan came on it sounded like a jet is flying low altitude, but no more overheating problems. Also be shure your radiator is in good health. I hope this helps.
    Horst
  • zsiberianzsiberian Member Posts: 6
    For the longest time I experienced a strange unrest every time I looked at a newly redesigned Durango. Once a vehicle that would catch my (generally critical) eye now and then, the new design would produce horror and suspicion at the same time.
    US carmakers seem to struggle as they loose customers every year, the latest vice is to put a little retro in the new models. From PT Cruiser, new Mustang and Challenger to Nissan Z the trick seems to work for US public, at least on the surface. But if the inspiration for most of the above models came from a much earlier model, where in the world did this monstrosity of a design came from for Durango. And then it hit me like a freight train as I pulled behind the new HEMI V8 the other day and began to look at it closely. It's nothing more than a Dodge Caravan with new back lights and modified front, even from a side it looks like it! http://www.dodge.com/durango/photos.html
    Look closer and you will see Caravan on steroids, bravo Dodge, what a moneysaving idea! And still an element of retro, except it does not go 40 years back, but heck, why go so far! Unbelievable! :blush:
  • dcfontdcfont Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a 2005 Durango 8 cylinder (non-hemi) in August 2005. The vehicle now has 8,000 miles on it. On several occasions, we have experienced engine stalling. My wife drives the vehicle and has indicated that it occurs most frequently when she turns left. During the most recent incident, she stalled in the middle of an intersection. We have brought the vehicle to the dealer on 2 occasions and have called other times. The dealer says there is "no problem" and it is aware of no issues. This message board would suggest otherwise. People are going to get hurt or killed as a result of this problem and someone needs to take corrective action.

Intested in any suggestions on how to get this problem fixed. Or, is the answer, get rid of the vehicle??
  • zsiberianzsiberian Member Posts: 6
    Please consider getting rid of this vehicle the sooner the better and safer for everyone else. Too often people wait out the disaster-to-happen only to find out they had viable options. The family is most important thing man, don't trust it to anyone. Please consider researching vehicles by looking at crash test results, MPG and roll-over test. I had to do this for one of my clients and all national pride aside I would not put my family in anything other than Honda Pilot or Subru Outback/forester - tested by several different researchers and coming out on top. Please also remember the accidents almost always involve other people and therefore other families as well. I admire your persistance in figuring out this problem, now the next step is to go with your gut feeling, and you know exactly what it's telling you to do.
    Sincerely,
  • tinkerertinkerer Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 4.7L, with 104,000 miles, but not sure what the rear is. I installed headers, 3" exhaust with a Gibson turbo flow muffler and a K&N air filter with cool air dam. I get 16 MPG around town and just under 19 on the highway.
  • dadeo7432dadeo7432 Member Posts: 10
    Not interested. We bought our large SUV knowing gas was +$3.00 a lb after driving on several long trips in a mid-sized car/SUV. We tow a boat, we haul stuff. Add the car rental fee to the price of gas and the hassle of getting the rental. On trips without the boat we get 20 MPG in our 2005 Hemi Durango. With it we get 15 MPG.
  • dadeo7432dadeo7432 Member Posts: 10
    I don't know about looks but right now these are a bargain. We got our Hemi Limited for $28,000. We liked it b/c it was kind of unusual compared to all the other big SUVs. But it works for us. We got good towing power for 7500 lbs, a reasonable price and lots of room. Granted I could live without the big glass windshield, but we do like the Nav system, DVD player, Sat radio, leather seats, sunroof, big powerful engine, ride and looks. Kind of funny
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    knowing gas was +$3.00 a lb

Actually, it works out to about 48 cents per pound! (Sorry - I couldn't resist!) :)

tidester, host
  • peted31bgnpeted31bgn Member Posts: 2
    Hey there, sorry i took so long to wite back
    I found out that there is a service memo out, the lock acuators go bad and needed to be replaced, see if you can get the dealer to fix it under a recall type status, since I printed out the service bulletin and handed it to the service guy, they said OK and replaced them free of charge. good luck
  • tmocktmock Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 05 Dodge Durango 4x4 5.7 hemi and was told that it would do my hauling needs. I have 3 horse trailer and usually need to haul 2 horses. Everytime I hook up the trailer with no horses in it they engine light goes off and my vehicle will eventually stop moving. I have to shut it off and restart it to be able to move. Have had it towed into shop and taken in 2 more time for the same thing and each time they find nothing then told me maybe I was over hauling. My trailer weighs 4K pounds they told me it would haul almost 9K pounds when I bought it. Anyone know what I can do. Thanks
  • plainsmanplainsman Member Posts: 6
    Where did you get it for $28, let me know the dealer a, I dont belive it unless it was demo or used.

We got 06 hemi, limited, towing, travel pacakge dvd/shiny wheels/nav, sunroof, block heater, towhooks, molded flaps for $31.451 + tax
  • steve38steve38 Member Posts: 11
    It had laminated side glass which made the interior VERY QUIET. I do nt think the newer versions did. You can tell if you have it by looking at the TOP of the glass when the window is half down on drivers door. If you see two panes of glass fused together you have it. Does the 2005 or 2006 have it?

I have a Limited HEMI model and I think it was only in the LTD.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I've got a 2002 5.9 R/T, and I've got a few questions for you.

First, I have water coming in on the passenger side front, and ending up in the floor in front of the front passenger seat. Anybody else had this problem, and if so, where was it coming from?

Second, my check engine light has been on since December, because it came back on 2 days after I had an O2 sensor replaced. I took it to Auto Zone, and they said it was probably just the gas cap, but if it were to start missing, it could be a vacuum leak. Well folks, it took it 6 months, but it's started missing and hesitating. What could that be, and what is involved to fix it, if it is a vacuum leak?

Third, I cannot find mud flaps for this thing anywhere. I've seen plenty of SLT's riding around with mud flaps, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Suggestions?

Fourth, my A/C never seems to get "cold." It'll get cool, but it takes it forever. Also, if the passenger moves the passenger temp control over from cold to warm, even just 1/3 of the way, my air gets warm, it doesn't stay cold. Anybody else have that problem?

Also, I am getting horrid, horrid gas mileage. I was told at the Dodge dealer that a good investment would be a K&N air filter/charger. The service manager said it would improve the mileage, and power.

Other accessories, such as chrome pieces for the fenders, mirrors, and door handles, really any chrome pieces at all, does anyone have them on their durango, and if so, where'd you get them? I've found the door handle and mirror covers on ebay, but the door handles come with 2 front handles with key hole pre-cut out. My passenger side front door doesn't have a key hole. Also, I have the large heated mirrors, I'm not sure if the mirror covers from ebay will fit them.

And last but certainly not least, has anyone with a 2003 or older Durango had dual exhaust installed? Especially with the 5.9? I'm hoping to have that done as soon as I get everything else right with it. Does it make mileage go down, or up, or does it stay the same?

I think thats all for now. I may think of something later though! Thanks for any input!
  • beachbrumbeachbrum Member Posts: 16
    I am looking at buying a used 2005 Durango SLT 4x4. Towing capacity is a big issue for me. On Autos.msn.com it says standard towing is in the 5K range and max towing is in the 8K range. What needs to be done in order to reach max towing as opposed to standard towing? How would I be able to tell what the towing capacity for the specific vehicle would be? Would it require having the Hemi engine?

Thanks for your help.
  • charboneaucharboneau Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased this well-maintained 2002 Durange SLT from a Volvo dealer whom we trust well. They assured me it all checked out A-OK for a vehicle with 80K. Last night, I had real difficulties getting it to release it's hold on 4H. I had with me in the car a service manager from Dodge and he thinks its the clutch pack in the rear end. But I noticed if I bring the vehicle to a complete stop, put it in neutral, then shift from 4H to 2wd and wait a few seconds, it "seems" to do better. Any ideas besides the rear end being shot? I will be contacting the dealer to see what they did to "Check it out" prior to my buying it.

I was really hoping to find a post with good news about this issue, but I couldn't find any.

Please Help

Charboneau (Shar-bun-oh)
  • duanessongduanessong Member Posts: 4
    I was at a local Dodge dealership looking at the 2006 Durango SLT with AWD. The salesperson claimed that an AWD Durango operates via 2WD (i.e. back wheels only) during all normal operations and only goes into AWD when the vehicle senses that AWD is needed. Is this correct or does an AWD Durango use all 4 wheels to propel the vehicle at all times? Also, will the AWD cost me MPG versus a 4X4 operating in only 2WD? Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
  • kellergckellergc Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have a chart that matches the fuse numbers on the location charts to the function of the fuses? One of my 12v outlets isn't working and I suspect the fuse, but which one?
  • mbgc1mbgc1 Member Posts: 6
    I have the 2005 Durrango and it is all wheel all the time. This is a killer in gas.

Itraded my 2000 Durrango in which was 2 wd until you put it in 4 wd. Much better milage.

I am dissapointed in the new Durrango. I have had it for 7 months and hate it!!

Also the warranty package doesn't include roadside service like it did in years before so be careful. My dealer told me I was getting the same and it isn't.
  • thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    You must come to a complete stop when trying to get back to 2wd. It also helps if you shift into neutral. I know it says it is does not have to do this but I had a 2000 PT4x4 and it always worked when i did this. Hope this is not too late for you. I just got back on here. :)
  • willieb2willieb2 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my 2004 Durango with 41,000 mi. stopped with a bang. Thought I had a blowout but found the front of the driveshaft on the ground. I thought rear end had locked up due to 75 ft of skid marks. Also, two 1" square tubes on front inside of rear tires were broke and about 3" apart.

Dealer says these bars (traction bars? stabilizers?) had been bent (probably by a poor hoist job) and they both cracked then broke. This caused the rear axle to move rearward pulling out the driveshaft. THE REAR END DID NOT LOCK UP AS I THOUGHT IT HAD. IF this is the case, the powertrain warranty covers nothing. HELP!!!! Has anyone heard of such a thing? The last time on a hoist was at another Dodge dealer about a month and 2000 miles earlier. The two dealers are scheduled to discuss my problem tomorrow 9/11. Luckily I was going about 20 mph when this happened or things might be worse.
    IF THE DEALERS WONT PAY FOR THIS, WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE THROUGH CHRYSLER?
  • fieldsxfivefieldsxfive Member Posts: 1
    I have the same a/c problem with my 1998 Durango. Have had it fixed twice and now have in over $1000 into the air conditioning. First it was the H-valve, which was $900. Then the a/c still didn't work and I don't remember what it was the second time. Got it fixed again, then drove 11 hours this July on vacation and had a puddle on the passenger floor in front. Our friend that was with it says it's from the a/c leaking. It doesn't happen when we drive short distances, so we've let it go for now. I'll wait till next summer if we still have it. We had it "fixed" at the dealership twice so next time we'll go somewhere else. All in all I love this car and HATE the look of the new models. I'd buy another one in a minute if they looked the same. (Even with the 13 mpg)
  • co97co97 Member Posts: 2
    After looking thru all of your entires I really did not notice any major issues with the 2006 models. Is this true?

Reason for asking is that I'm looking for a good SUV that will compete with Toyota and Honda quality. Does the 06 Durango hold up?
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Dodge Durango
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • steve38steve38 Member Posts: 11
    This is a sad fact that Dodge decided we are too stupid to need to have this info accessible. I ended up talking to a tech who looked it up in the service manual. Can someone please post a link to where we can print it off??

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Alldata.com may have the info. Lots of libraries subscribe to the Alldata database so give your local reference librarian a call.
  • caswell01caswell01 Member Posts: 1
    Today(12/30/06), my wife was driving our 2004 Durango at low speed preparing to make a turn into a business, when the vehicle suddenly locked up on her and came to a screeching halt. The vehicle was totally disabled in the middle of the road. As it turns out, when I got to her I found both the stabilizer bars from the rear axle to the frame were both broken at the front of the rear tires. This caused the rear to "twist" and lock the drive shaft. We had it towed to the dealer for evaluation. This is very upsetting, especially if she was in a high traffic fast moving situation. Both of the bars had the look of a clean type cut as if they were cut with a saw. As luck would have it the warranty was up 2000 miles ago.

Please let me know how things turned out for you.
  • charlesecharlese Member Posts: 1
    The interior lights on my 2004 Durango will not go out! Help!
  • eeh42eeh42 Member Posts: 1
    I got my NEW 06 for $27,200, Limited, Hemi, leather, sun roof, chrome running bars & gas cap, dvd, pwr lift door, tint, tow, ect. Stickered for $39, seemed they were giving them away on Dec 29 an $8000 below invoice deal. Didn't even have to haggle.....much...

Also fyi: you can buy a Chrysler MaxCare bumper2bumper warranty (not 3rd party) 7yr/100k w/$100 dedcut for $1750 at chryslerservicecontracts.com. The dealer wanted to charge me $2,100 for a 5yr/60k mile/$100 deduct with limited parts coverage....rrrrip
  • dsandersondsanderson Member Posts: 1
    Charlese,
    I just went through the same thing with my 04. The dealer told me the instrument cluster shorted out along with the light swith relay. It costs $500. I hope you are still under warranty. Look in a wrecking yard. If you find one, the dealer will install and reprogram it. Don't you just love this computer controlled era? I hope this helps. Doug
  • jchappeljchappel Member Posts: 16
    I too have had/have this problem. The dealer has never been able to fix it and it does bother me. Anybody have an update on this?
  • jchappeljchappel Member Posts: 16
    Did you ever find out what the hissing noise was? I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts! Please help!
  • jdeshotelsjdeshotels Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2003 Durango and noticed that the rear air/heater is malfunctioning. It will not blow hot air. The controls from the front panel work, as do the rear. It, however doesn't get hotter. Any thoughts? I don't think it is the relay b/c when I take the relay out the fan stops, when I put the relay back in it blows.
  • jimjigjimjig Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone familiar with removing the factory running boards off of a 2002 Durango. I don't like to use them to step into the vehicle and they kind of get in the way. Do they simply unbolt? Do you need to do painting or patching? Will the car look the same as other Durango that never had the running boards installed?
  • rkassikrkassik Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7 that has died, what would it take to replace it with a 2005 4.7, is it even possible?
  • kackokacko Member Posts: 2
    have a 2000 dodge durango lately has been backfiring and slow acceleration?
  • nbensonnbenson Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2003 Durango SLT Plus and I'm wondering how to know if it has 4 wheel ABS. The dealer's listing online says it does, but I'd like to be sure.

Otherwise, I like the truck a lot. I drove it (and a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited) today, and like most everything about it. Is there anything specific to this model I should be looking at/for? Thanks for your help!
  • jhtufanojhtufano Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango w/ full time 4WD... Mileage varies from tank to tank dependant on driving conditions (fast, slow, highway, city, and mountains,). On average 12 to 13 MPG is as good as it will ever get without adding an after market engine controller.

If fuel economy is your driving decision maker; look elsewhere.

Regards,

JT
This discussion has been closed.