Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• jesse44jesse44 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I've had my 2000 4.7 4x4 Durango about two months now.Yesterday my MIL came on and will not turn off.Before I take it in,is there something I can do?and what is the problem?
  • jesse44jesse44 Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!!Mine(Malfunction Indicator Light) will not go off.If someone knows what the problem is and how to go about fixing it.Please let me know.Thanks!
  • jinstasijinstasi Member Posts: 10
    they reset themself if you drive 3 times with no problems if it doesnt go out you have a code alot of part stores have scanners now and will check it for free like auto zone i know for sure does it how is your gas mileage if it has gone down the shi$$er than you need o2 sensor also try disconnecting the battery(1 min.) if it goes out and stays out good if not get it checked o2 sensors left unnattended can cause alot of problems worst one being you will actually get down to avg.4 mpg :sick:
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    What year is your Durango? My 2002 R/T's light came on a week or so after I got it in in 2005, it was the O2 sensor, then a few days after having that fixed it came back on and has stayed on ever since, that was December 2005, nothing seems to be wrong. I think autozone told me it was either a vacuum leak or possibly the gas cap not on tight enough (which I had pumped gas with the engine running) so I passed it off as that, but the light never went off. Now it's just part of the vehicle, dunno what I'd do if it went off.
  • sem1981sem1981 Member Posts: 1
    power door locks have just started going haywire. They go on and off all the time even when the vehicle is not running. I went into the fuse box to take the # 13 fuse out to disconnect the power door locks. Anyone have an idea what is going on?
  • aprilfreshaprilfresh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Durango also and I am expirencing the same noise also The noise coming from the tire for me was the wheel baron and had to replace it. once one side goes they say the other goes not to long afterwards. that loud schreeching noise I havent figured it out yet they dont know what it is also I find that the noise gets louder when I run the air conditioning. let me know if you got anymore Ideas cause Im upset.....
  • dohaver4dohaver4 Member Posts: 3
    On our way back to Florida from Louisiana we were on I10 about 22 miles west of Mobile,AL and drove into a bad rain storm. When all of a sudden out of the blue, my 2004 Durango was hit by lightning. Apparently, the lightning hit the radio antenna (melted to about 3") then proceed to effect everything do with electric. But, it remained running. Smoke was pouring out of the dash (thought we were on fire). Pulled over, but not turning off the ignition to check for fire. NO Fire. Husband (mechanic)proceed to drive us to Tampa with no A/C and no electric to roll windows down among no other electric to anything on vehicle. Got to dealership and so far the bill is $7,000 and climbing.

Scared to death but believe in Dodge Products
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I haven't been very active in the Durango forum and that came with reason: I didn't have many problems to discuss in the forum! I had a 2002 Durango R/T which I loved, however I bought a car in January and really didn't need a SUV anymore, so I traded off my Durango for a Toyota Tundra. So far I miss the space of the Durango, but overall I'm happy with my decision. The Durango was the best vehicle to date that I've owned as far as problems, but 11 or 12 miles to the gallon was a pain. Hope the rest of you continue to have good service from your Durangos!
  • jovaughn333jovaughn333 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem with my 2000 dodge durango 5.9L
    please let me no wut u did. u can write me at jovaughn333@yahoo.com my car will not start in park only in neutral.
  • eve1106eve1106 Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anybody knows where to look on a 04 Durango for the engine block number? Im shipping my truck to Turkey and the shipping compnay needs that number.

Thanks in advance
    Eve
  • jovaughn333jovaughn333 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 dodge durango 5.9L engine, my truck will not start in park, i have to put it in neutral to start. is there anyone out there with this same problem or can anyone tell me what the problem is ??????
  • greg2005greg2005 Member Posts: 3
    My Durango has 43000 miles on and the Rack is going bad
    I took it to the dealer they tell me that it will cost
    over $1100 to fix,because the redesigned the
    rack, plus you need to get a new shaft for the steering
    coloumn. I think their should be a recall on the 2004-2006.
    Anyone with similar problem please let me know. I also had
    a 1998 durango slt. with intake manifold problems.
  • jsalmonsonjsalmonson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 durango limited with a 5.7l hemi the low fuel light came on and on my way to the gas station it stalled I just figured it ran out of gas. I put about 14 gallons in it then was very hard to start and when it started it ran real rough and would not idle. I put some dry gas in and drove about 15 miles ran ok at speeds above 40 but still would not idle at all. It only stars if i depress the accelerator and it will only stay running if i manually keep the rpms above 1,500. I did the 3 time on off ignition thing and it gave me a code of p-0172 any one have any suggestions on what to do next? Has any one had this problem before? (it was running fine up until this point)
  • scmpcscmpc Member Posts: 1
    We had the same type problem with our 2000 Mitsubishi Montero we had before we purchased our Durango. It was a throttle position sensor. Maybe this will help.
  • armchair_q_bacarmchair_q_bac Member Posts: 3
    I will be buying a new 07 or 08 durango in the next couple of weeks. Anybody have any advice on negotiating ? Whats the deal with the employee pricing. I have seen a lot of talk of employee numbers in other forums.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in the Dodge Durango Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks consumers who drive large SUVs. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
  • nessa619nessa619 Member Posts: 1
    So my turn signals went out gradualy on my 2000 Dodge Durango ...I mean they blink 2x then stop this happened for a day or 2 now they don't work at all.... my emergency lights flash so I am not sure what it could be :confuse: ??? Please help!! :cry:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your turn signals and hazard lights operate on two separate circuits with different controllers. Apparently, one is bad.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • combsey23combsey23 Member Posts: 2
    i have recently depolyed to iraq for the 3rd time and i have been able to coaxs my wife into letting me beef up our durango...are there any high performance parts i can put on it? i already have a magniflow exhaust. im not looking for too much...maybe a bolt on roots kenny bell supercharger or something like that? although she probably wont let me. anyone have any idea? thanks for the help
    KYLE
  • greg2005greg2005 Member Posts: 3
    My airbag light in the dash stays on all the time. Anyone have the same problem or know what causes it.
    Thanks Greg :
  • getchoo2getchoo2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have the same exact issue with my '04 Durango Hemi and two different dealerships haven't been able to fix it. Did you ever get it worked out? Thanks in advance for any info.

Eric
  • ramairjayramairjay Member Posts: 1
    It's usually your clockspring that causes the problem. However, your safest bet is to have it checked out at the dealer. I'm a dodge tech and have seen a few of these come in for this.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter hopes to speak with current owners of large SUVs who are trying to sell their vehicle and their experience. If you are a consumer with a large SUV that just sold or looking to sell, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, March 24, 2008.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dodidupadodidupa Member Posts: 2
    I just had my Rack replaced of my (Rack and Pinion Steering). My Airbag light now stays on, and sometimes goes on and off like if there was a loose connection or module. Fuses were good. It also passed NYS Inspection after the rack was replaced. Any Ideas ? Cost ?

Thanks
  • danny40danny40 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2004 Durango please help
  • josh30josh30 Member Posts: 20
    Should be on the left bank under the exhaust manifold along with the engine size. if not there check the other side.
  • josh30josh30 Member Posts: 20
    your situation sounds like an isolated problem. sorry man, thats just bad luck. pretty rare for that to happen to any vehicle. but [non-permissible content removed] happens. its easy to replace though. just get the parts and do it urself.
  • kman15kman15 Member Posts: 3
    have recently found that the rear diverter door was broken as well as the rotating stop on the white turn control for the rear diverter door that is controlled by the rear temp control. had to purchase the complete plenum box as the individual parts are not available. it seems as this has been a problem as the numbers for these parts have been superseeded a few times already. does any one know if the system needs to be calibrated,(motor stops) or just put it back together, and say a prayer.
    yes the truck is out of warranty.
    thanks Larry Philadelphia
    kman10@snip.net
  • kman15kman15 Member Posts: 3
    there was some kind of recall awhile back for something in my 2004 durango that pertained to the dash that would overheat did the dealer tell you about this?
  • corobcorob Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 and what i need to know did it come with a garage door opener
  • cyman1cyman1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I have the same problem with my 2005 Dodge Durango, the rattles are very loud and it seems to be coming from within the dashboard. Have you had a chance to get it looked at yet?
  • cheradcherad Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what tool I need to remove the front brake caliper from the rotor? It looks like a torx head bolt possibly. Its a 2000 durango 4wd 5.9
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Today November 26, 2008 Chrysler LLC. made it official as of the end of December 2008 the Durango and the Aspen will be the end of production. This hybreds.

farout
  • spud51spud51 Member Posts: 1
    Simple question here. I've just gotten a 2001 Durango, and I was told I had to stop and put the vehicle in neutral to engage and disengage the 4wd. Can someone tell me if this is true? I don't want to break anything by doing it wrong. Other SUVs I've driven could be engaged in Hi 4wd while moving. There was no owners manuel with it. thanks.
  • klingoldklingold Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue. Please help. I would love to fix the stereo I currently have and get the CD's out that are stuck in there. Is there anyone that knows what to do. Thanks
    Try the tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD guide. Especially the fuse trick.

Changers are tough to "reboot" though. Your best bet may be to replace it with an aftermarket stereo.
  • bigskiohiobigskiohio Member Posts: 1
    From 2wh to 4wh you can be moving then after shift let off gas. from 4h to 4lo 2-3 mph also 4lo to 4hi 2- 3 mph, also dont stop in neutral when shifting go right past or you will have to stop and turn off engine.
  • ccajccaj Member Posts: 1
    i've got a 1999 durango that lost all gears except first and reverse. had the tranny tested and the shop said it was the valve body. i want to rebuild it myself but need a schematic. if anyone knows where to find one online, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
  • ken3500ken3500 Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. I have a 2001 Durango R/T and the side air vents don't seem to blow much at all (if any). I don't remember it being this bad. Also, I thought the entire A/C system worked better than it does now.

Recently, my compressor broke and took the A/C clutch with it. Fortunately, I had it under the extended warranty plan and it cost me nothing to repair. I thought my A/C would finally work well. It still doesn't. Hhhhmmm.

To set things in a proper light: I have another Dodge/Plymouth vehicle and the A/C works great!!! So great in fact that I sometimes have to move it a bit off the coldest setting to keep from getting too cold. I didnt think that was possible with Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles, but it is.

Anyway, using a thermometer, I tested the temperature on the coldest setting both at idle as well as while the car was moving. My Plymouth vehicle's A/C blows at 40 degrees Fahrenheit! Very nice! In contrast, the Durango blows at 60 degree Fahrenheit. OMG! Not good at all, especially when combined with the low blow from all the vents.

I opened the hood and used thermal insulating tape to wrap the cold side piping from the compressor including the dryer and the pipes going into the firewall. There is an obvious design defect in that these cold A/C pipes pass within about 8 inches of the exhaust manifold that is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 degrees. There is no shroud between them. Not a good design.

Anyway, by wrapping the cold A/C piping I was able to lower the temperature of the air blowing from the fans by 8 degrees! If I can just increase the amount of air blowing into the car I'll be happy enough, but it still won't be great. I'm still going to try and drop the temperature further, but unsure how to proceed or where to look.

Just sharing.
  • tdurangotdurango Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    We have a 2004 durango with 66000 miles at time of service.
    During a bunch or repairs ball joints, brakes, sway bar bushings.... the dealer noticed the pinion seal was leaking. They replaced it.
    the invoice didn't mention anything about oil added or crush washer replacement. My wife drives this vehicle mostly in town. 4000 miles later at 70000 I towed our popup camper on the interstate for 3 hours and a very noticeable humming sound started a couple hours into the trip. I stopped at a lube center (No dodge dealership around) and they ended up putting in 2 quarts of gear oil in the differential and noted there was no signs of leaking. I am working with the dodge dealership that did the repairs and they claim there is no way the vehicle could have left their shop that low on oil, stating that it would have burned up much sooner if that was the case. Is it possible that the vehicle drove that far that low on gear lube. The big question is where did the oil go? Is there any way that replacing a pinion seal could have resulted in this happening?
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • tdurangotdurango Member Posts: 2
    The dealer wants me to pay 600 of the $1200 repair cost because he want's to keep me as a customer and does not believe this is their fault. I know that if I had never brought the car in that today I would still have a functioning differential. Need to keep working on this guy.
  • kickboxerkickboxer Member Posts: 4
    I have a loud squeeking coming from my front suspension whenever I drive over speed bumps or any uneven surface such as large bumps in the road. It is especially loud when the humidity is higher or when it is colder outside. Any ideas?
  • soggybottomsoggybottom Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2000 Durango SLT that i recently purchased used. It has no owners manual and the radio / clock is wrong. I have no idea hot to set it to correct time and would appreciate any help
  • durango_rondurango_ron Member Posts: 1
    There are small buttons on the radio marked "h" and "m" to set the clock. I believe you can download a free owners manual from dodge.com
    Looks like the free ones from Dodge are 2004 and newer. There are some other free manual sites on the net you could try if you don't want to buy one, but I don't see one for the 2000 Durango off-hand.

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online
  • bevansbevans Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a 07/08/09 Durango I currently drive a GC and would like the ability to tow a trailer and still be able to haul 6 people. Is there any glaring problems with any of those years? I have not been able to find many. Also what is the positives of the 4.7 over the Hemi-
  • pdanypdany Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of buying a 2003 Dodge Durango, I even tried a test drive, however now I feel it’s not good to buy this vehicle.
    What I felt during the test drive was vehicle moving slowly. I mean it’s slow compared to my car. First, I tried it on 2 wheel drive, then I put it on 4 WD, but it’s moving very slowly (EVEN IF I GIVE ENOUGH THROTTLE). I asked this to the sales person (owner?), but his answer is like ' YOUDON’T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE a 4 WHEEL DRIVE'. I am just wondering about his answer. Is that true that driving a Durango wouldn’t be smooth like driving a car?
  • ozcop1ozcop1 Member Posts: 6
    I just sold a 2005 Adventurer model with Hemi and AWD, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, and I've owned everything from Chevy Duramax PU, to 2000 Suburban LT, and several other SUV's in between. The Hemi has 100 more HP than the 4.7, and although I have no personal eperience with the 4.7, I am told the fuel mileage is worse than the Hemi. The Hemi, with it's cylinder deactivation system is one of the reasons mine would constantly log 20 to 22 mpg highway, and quite often, 18 city...
    Mine was used extensively to pull a 22' aluminum car trailer with either a CRX autocross car, or my 06 Corvette to track day events at various race tracks. Pulling the CRX, highway mileage was always 18mpg, and on level ground could log as much as 19. The 1000lb heavier Corvette dropped mileage by 1 to 1.5 mpg respectively. My spouse loved that vehicle more than she did her first new SUV, a 1995 GC with 5.2V8, which was a fine automobile for the 5 years we owned it. MPG is significantly better with the Hemi... In 68000 miles, the only thing I had to do to this Durango is install new tires at 58000 miles, and new front brake pads at 60000, plus routine maintenance and oil changes every 5000 miles, and I used Mobil 1 oil exclusively...as I do in all my vehicles. I can't speak for the newer models you are seeking, but my 05 is probably the best overall vehicle I have owned...Corvette excepted... 8)
  • batu_316batu_316 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Dodge Durango hemi and my suv is not turning when i try to start it i got the code 10 when i turned the ignition three times does anybody know what that code is???
This discussion has been closed.