Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Town & Country/Caravan Heating / Cooling

Comments

• jbob1315jbob1315 Member Posts: 3
    Over the last 2 weeks ive noticed that when am idling at a stop light the heater wont blow warm air, it is very cold air that comes out. But as soon as i push on the excelorator and speed up it will blow warm/hot air. anyone else with this problem. i had replaced the blower motor resitor earlier this year for problems i had listed in a previous post and the problem was fixed.
  • dbasradbasra Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 TC and the front blower quit working on all speeds. When I took off the glove box to check it out I could see that where the blower wires connect it was melted/burned.

Any suggestion on what I should do/replace?
  • carquest10carquest10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have the same exact problem as Chaz6.

Reading through the posts I did not see an official resolution.

Any advice on fixing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!!
  • jimjdebjjimjdebj Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this problem? The temp. control on the drivers side works fine and the passenger side will blow cold air sometimes. My wife will freeze and then, not touching anything, it will blow out hot air for awhile. :mad:
  • chrytcchrytc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Town and Country touring. The blower for the front works fine but the rear blower does not function. I checked the underhood rear blower fuse and relay and they are ok. What else can I check or replace. Thanks.
  • leschinsleschins Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1996 Town & Country Mini-Van. The heater and air conditioner blower stopped working recently on all but the highest speed. A friend told me that this is actually an electrical problem (apparently it's called a regulator or an actuator or a resistor . . . but my friend doesn't remember exactly what it is called) and the part can be replaced. Does anyone know what the name of the part and part number is??? Also, would you know if it is necessary to have a mechanic replace it or can I attempt to do this myself? Many thanks for your help. P. Leschins
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    I forget the name of the part, but it is a simple fix you can do yourself. Look on the air system/fan housing under the dash board on the passenger side below the glove box door. Up behind the glovebox, you will see a plug connector on the housing. Remove the plug, then remove the 2 screws holding the electrical component to the housing. Carefully wiggle the part while pulling it out of it's mounting opening. If I remember correctly, it may be a daealer only item. Just slide the new one into the opening, and reattach the connector plug and your problem should be solved. Make sure when you put the new one in, the gasket is in place to prevent any water leakage from comming in around the part.
  • leschinsleschins Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much! P. Leschins
  • dons425dons425 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Pacifica that the blower just quit in. After changing the blower after a reputable shop did some quick troubleshooting on an didn't fix I have jumpered out the blower to the appropriate fuse and have a blower on high till I can get it fixed. I wonder if the same FET is in my 04 Pacifica control module?
  • suzjsuzj Member Posts: 3
    I'm now a member of the Rear Evaporator Replacement Club. Yes, "Club." It sounds like there are enough of us out there to form a club.

My 2006 T&C with 50,000 miles on it needs the rear evaporator and lines replaced, and it's a minimum $800.

I'm trying to decide whether to have the dealer do the repair, or my local repair shop. I called Chrysler, and they said for them to even consider a claim, I must have it diagnosed at a dealership. That's fine, but has anyone had any positive results with Chrysler taking responsibiltiy for this on an out-of-warranty T&C? I don't want to get it done at a dealership unless there's some hope of Chrysler paying for at least part of the repair.

It sounds like this is a vulnerable part. Am I going to need to repair this expensive part again in another few years?

I bought this van used in April '08. So far, I'm not very happy.

Maybe it's time for all of us affected by this to start writing Chrysler.
    I was told my rear evaporator needs replacing as well, an $1,100 fix, and the parts are on huge back order, so a long wait.

I took it to a trusted mechanic, and he said there's another option -- disconnect the rear air and recharge the system, just use the front a/c. That was done, and so now the front air works fine. It just takes a little longer to cool the back. The fix was $375.

My '06 T&C is out of warranty, and I didn't want to pay $1,100 for a rear evaporator for fear it might happen again because I've heard it's due to vibration and possibly a design defect.

No recall by Chrysler so far. They should take responsibility for this. One dealer I called said there are 4,000 requests per week for rear evaporators, so it's a common problem.

Rear air was not standard in minivans in the past, so it's not so awful to be without it.
  • rjmtripsrjmtrips Member Posts: 1
    My father has the same issue as you. Is the evaporator core located in the back passenger side of the wheel wall. Is this something anyopne can fix if they had the parts. Thanks
  • dannmarrdannmarr Member Posts: 1
    Suzi, Can you please tell us how the mechanic disconnected the rear evaporator. Non of the mechanics here say it's possible. I would rather do what you did than spend more money for the problem to reoccur. Thanks ([email protected])
    I can't tell you how they did it because I know nothing about cars, but I can direct you to my mechanic's web site and phone number if you want to contact them. http://www.northernautorepairs.net/

Even my brother, who is not a certified mechanic, was familiar with disconnecting the rear air conditioner/ evaporator. Maybe it's a problem with semantics.

It has been working fine since I had the work done a few months ago.

Good luck
  • tierodkingtierodking Member Posts: 1
    what was the problem/solution, i am experiencing the same thing right now. thank you
  • memainsmemains Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone new to the forum...
    Just wanted to let everyone know what happened tp me recently, I own a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT and back in JUly 2008 the rear evaporator started leaking (38,000 miles). I couldn't afford the $900 to replace it so i just lived without it. Anyway on Saturday November 14th I received a letter from Chrysler LLC that stated they were going to "extend the warranty on the rear evaporator and tubing (aluminum) 7yrs/70,000miles."
    On monday november 16th i called my local dealership and advised them I wanted to get the work done on my vehicle, they weren't aware of the letter or warranty extension, and asked me to fax my letter to them, they reviewed the letter and on Tuesday the 17th they called and said they had spoken directly to Chrysler and they would honor the letter.
    I dropped thmy vehicle off that same day and they replaced everything free of charge
  • riffmanriffman Member Posts: 3
    Maybe I did not read far enough but can I test this unit? Mine is from a 2006 TnC I do hear servos moving but no air flow at all (just what I get at 65mph). Mine has coils and 1 resistor running in the middle and this will stop the blower motor?. Reminds me of tubes in TV's! lol
    OK got the resistor from behind glove box will check on cost at AutoZone. Is there a way to test this unit first?
  • irritated2irritated2 Member Posts: 1
    Any chance you still have that letter with the address to send receipts to. We paid to fix it this summer and also received a letter. I can't find the letter now and want to send in my receipts.
  • john8888john8888 Member Posts: 1
    The letter said to send evaporator receipts to:
    Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
    P O Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004
  • ralph3795ralph3795 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my climate control stuck blowing out front vents only... did you resolve your problem? any advice for me would be appreciated. thanks, ralph
    can email me at: [email protected]
    Fixed replaced the resistor behind glove box. I also did test the blower motor before ordering part. Took the + & - off battery with 16ga wire to power sides of blower motor and it fired right up. 1st resistor did not have a circuit board but this one does. I had no air flow if yours only has vents something must be stuck or stopping your directional servo, do you hear it moving? Turn key but don't start when dinging stops move it from vent to defrost to floor , do it slowly and listen for a small motor buzzing sound.
  • woody68woody68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport edition that only blows warm air out of the drivers side vents while simutaniously blowing cold air out of the passengers side air vents. Both sides having the heat control all the way up. Has anybody every delt with this problem before and have a solution ? Thank you.
  • timothy10timothy10 Member Posts: 5
    WHAT WAS THE PROBLEMS WITH THE T&C WITH NO HEAT WHILE IDILING?
    DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHY THE HEAT WASN'T WORKING WHILE IDILING?
  • gotwrenchgotwrench Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious about this too. My wifes van is having the same problem. Continues to blow cold up to the 2nd hash mark on the guage, then about a minute later it drops to just between the 2nd hash mark and the 1st hash mark. At this point, it starts to produce heat. When I come to a stop, it starts to blow cold. I'm figuring there maybe is a valve problem not activating when the vacuum is higher?
    did you ever find out why heat would get cold while idiling. Please e-mail me back at [email protected]
  • toyotatechpatoyotatechpa Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1996 town&country 3.8l and the heat when driving goes cold i put a t stat flushed heater core un hooked rear heater core still no heat at idle i can get some heat the fans turn on but once you start to drive heat goes away also rad is only 5 months old
  • jim3020jim3020 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Grandcaravan, and have the same exact problem you experienced with the blower fan not turning off. If you solved your problem, could you please tell me how you fixed it?
    No, my problems was the heat would get cold when stopped at a light. But it would warm up once the van began moving. What we did was replace the water pump, and it seems to be better.
  • pablo91pablo91 Member Posts: 1
    I am new here and have an issue and would like some info that I see going around.
    1.) my minivan takes forever to get warm air inside, before we bought it used with 35,000 miles a year ago, the dealer told us they had addressed the major powersteering and water pump issues. however in winter it takes forever for hot air to get inside the car, once it comes it seems to work fine but it never comes at idle (even 20 minutes) and only comes after 5 miles beyond teh temp guage going to its max reading.

2.) the rear ac evaporator seems to have been cover for at least some years and models beyond the typical warranty, can anyone tell me if the 7/70 extrension I have seen on this post covers a 2005 T&C ltd? and what the speicif info I might need to get a copy. I do not have the problem but would like to be well armed if ti occurs.
  • jcthelioghtjcthelioght Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    hi everyone
    i bought a t&c last year and love it but the aircondition started to act funny it used to blow real cold then only out the passenger side now nothing at all all hot air the system is full and the compresser works so i'm stuck anyone have an idea of what the problem might be i appreciate all inputs thanks
  • carowner10carowner10 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a well taken care of 2001 chrysler town and country van with low miles. The temperature gauge on the instrument panel has started to rise towards hot and has gotten to the first red line. As soon as I put the heater on it goes back down. If I drive with the heater on the whole time, it seems to stay in the normal half-way spot. Once I turn the heater off, it starts creeping up toward the hot zone. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem. I have checked the thermostat, and have not replaced it because the gasket and thermostat look new. I have put coolant in the radiator as it looked like it just had water in it. Could it be an electrical problem?
    try changing the thermostat if that dosen't work you can get a different degree thermostat. No I don't think it could be electrical.
  • carowner10carowner10 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'll try that.
  • nlowellnlowell Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 T&C Limited with 123000 miles on it. And ,have changed things like the belt, plugs,, wireing harrness, fuel pump and hoses -- any thing that might break down while on long x country trips and so forth. My question for you guys is what about the alternator.!! What can I expect. or I should say when can I expect to lose it. ?? Should I go to Napa Auto Parts and buy one and keep it in the car. ?? I drive alot in the western states in the middle of nowhere. Neal
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Might be a bad head gasket. Pull your oil dipstick and look for a frothy, brownish mess on the oil.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Alternators rarely die unexpectedly; more often, the internal parts (brushes, etc) wear to the point that the electrical generation ability degrades. You will often notice this at low engine RPMs. For example, I had a '96 Subaru that would drain its battery if idling for ~30 minutes if the headlights were on, but had no problems when driving. The alternator still worked, but not very well. This was at about 175,000 miles.

I have a 1998 DGC with 213,000 miles and the alternator runs strong. I would say that an alternator is not a part I would keep on hand for emergencies such as that. Belts, some lengths of various hoses, high-quality duct tape, coolant, oil, transmission fluid (for the tranny and the power steering), etc., are more likely candidates for emergency supplies. I keep supplies such as this (and recovery strap, tie downs, flares, etc) in a 12-gal Rubbermaid Roughtote in my vehicle along with a small tool box.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sockitsockit Member Posts: 5
    Thank goodness I finally found this site - I hope you're still around!
    I also lost all the lighting on my 02 Grand Caravan electronic climate control. I could use help disassembling the control head. I have it removed from the console, and all the screws removed, but I can't get the covers to separate. there seems to be something that won't allow the halves to come apart. I'm afraid to pull too hard and risk breaking something.
    Also do you have a place to purchase the bulbs, or can you tell me the part number?
    Thanks!
  • sockitsockit Member Posts: 5
    I got it apart - I was being too gentle pulling on the knobs. Of course they pulled right off, and the climate control head opened right up.
  • jchesnutjchesnut Member Posts: 1
    The heat and air controls only work on high and the air doesn't blow out cold can anyone help me on where to start working
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    The front blower for heater/air conditioner stopped working on all speeds. I surmised it was the resistor pack unit mounted behind the glove box, as others have mentioned.

I first unplugged the two connectors to this unit and removed it, then temporarily connected battery to the blower terminals to make sure the blower motor worked, which it did. I decided to buy a new resitor pack, and I installed the new one right in the Dodge dealers lot, so I could check that this was indeed the problem. After installation, blower worked properly on all speeds. Cost $17.14 pus sales tax. Dealer gave me a discounted price, maybe because original only lasted 4 years New unit is completely redesigned from the old one, but it mounts and connectors plug in same as old one. I am assuming this was redesigned because of premature failures in the old design. Replacement part number 68029175AA 019D.
  • bernergirl1bernergirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 T&C Touring - bought in '08 w/ low miles. After two years, we still only have 54K miles on it, but starting to pay for problems. My A/C went out last week and when I took it to the shop, he diagnosed and said there's a leak in the rear air compressor (by back spare wheel well area). Said this is a common place for T&C leaks / cracks to happen. I was told this is about a $600 part (Plus labor to fix), so I left the shop paying $100 for the diagnosis and did NOT fix the air. It's heating up in the Ohio area and I don't want to spend the summer with no AIR.

Here's my question....I've had two other T&C's before this one (a 2001 and 2006 - both company cars, so I didn't pay for any problems) and I LOVE these vans. But...not sure I'm ready to keep dumping money into it AND make a $300 car payment every month. I recently put about $400 it for front brakes, and now the auto lock mechanism on the sliding door isn't working (another $200 to fix), it is pulling to the right and I'm gonna need new tires soon. Plus...the $700+AIR fix I haven't made yet.

I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and trade the van in right now and get something newer w/ a warranty. If I'm gonna make a monthly payment anyway - it should be for something I don't have to dump money into...right? Any opinions or insights are welcome - any similar experience? Is it worth it to keep it?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Well, we have 64K miles on a 2007 DGC - sister of your van, and have only had to put front brake pads on it. The passenger side power windows stopped working for a while, but I took the door apart and fixed that for only a couple of dollars for some lubricant. Those have been the only things repaired.

I thought Chrysler extended the warranty for the A/C lines to the rear unit. Seems to me I got a letter from Dodge to that effect, but don't have the info with me.
    There is an extended warranty in effect for 2006 and 2007 Dodge and Chrysler minivans which extends the warranty to 7 years and 70000 miles for the rear air conditioning evaporator. We received this notification by mail on November 29, 2009. You might want to check with a Chrysler/Dodge dealer to see if your leak is covered.
  • espodsespods Member Posts: 1
    my 96 dodge caravan 3.8 a/c and heat blower is in op. both fuses are good 40 amp and 10 amp. blower switch ohms out ok. blower motor is good.
    i have no power to the fuses or control switch or at blower motor. relay location ? please help
  • bvp1bvp1 Member Posts: 1
    Any chance you still have your letter? I recieved the same letter. (I had already fixed that problem) I have still not recieved the reimbursement check and don;t know the contact info. Like an idiot I send the letter in and didn't keep a copy for my records. I just sent the bill. HELP!
  • dustbucketsdustbuckets Member Posts: 2
    I too would be very interested in seeing this letter. Our 2006 with only 39,900 miles made a loud hissing sound and the A/C quit, so we took it in too, of course be told it wasn't covered. The service manager told me to write Chrysler to see if we could get reimbursed under the Warranty Extension referred to here, but the first two people I have talked to so far have denied my claim.

So, I am escalating to find out why our 2006 vin is excluded from the list when the part numbers for the parts replaced are identical to those 2006's that are covered. if anyone has some helpful information, I would be greatful!
    The letter I received I referred to in post 153 states that the extended warranty applies only to 2006 and 2007 Caravan, Grand Caravan and Town & Country minivans. It does not mention any exclusions except that the extended warranty does not cover other A-C parts. It applies only to the rear evaporator. If some other component failed, then this extended warranty would not apply. There is a phone number listed for if you have an issue your dealer is unable to resolve. It is 1-800-992-1997.

They also will cover if you already paid to have it repaired, in which case you send your original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement:

Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
    PO Box 21-8004
    Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004
  • dustbucketsdustbuckets Member Posts: 2
    So, does anyone have a suggestion of where I can lodge a complaint with Chrysler? I have been through three case managers and all say there is nothing they can do for me, the VIN on my 2006 Town & Country is excluded from the Rear Evaporator Warranty extension. They all three aggreed the part numbers are the same and the year is the same, but deny my claim.

All three refused to give me an avenue to escalate my claim, stating their decision is final and there is no one above them.