Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 vs. Lexus IS 250

Comments

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    scottm123,

What options were you putting on each car to come up with a $15,000 difference? I assume this is a difference in MSRP.

I just checked the Infiniti web comparator, and MSRP for the base automobiles, G35x with auto and 328Xi with manual, shows the BMW as $350 more expensive. I did not try to option out each car, but $15,000 seems like a lot if its just coming from the options.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Well, the G35x I am purchasing is loaded. This means, Premium, Navigation, Technology, and Wood packages.

I went to the BMW website and chose the 328xi.
    Keep in mind that BMW offers options, and not option packages. This caused me to add in individual options to mirror those I would be getting in the G.

This meant things like Paint, Leather, Wood Trim, Stereo, Adaptive Lighting, Heated Seats, Power Seats, Navigation, Keyless Ignition, Bluetooth, etc, etc, etc.
    Adding this all into the BMW as I would have gotten in the G caused the price to skyrocket.

I can't compare Base Pricing, as I'm a toy guy and need my gadgets.
    Base to Base, they are very comparable.
    Loaded to the gills, the BMW was just more than I wanted to pay for a BMW.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    When I was looking to buy my 330Ci, I went to three different dealers. When each of them heard how I wanted it configured, they said it would have to be ordered. Not one of them bulked or tried to convince me I'd be better off with something they had on their lot. This is a very common way to buy BMW's. It is possible, however, that are dealerships around who are not so easy to get along with, but I'm sure they're in the minority and even they would order it rather than lose a sale.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    scottm123,

I went to the web sites for BMW and Infiniti, and just for grins I priced out a G35x and a 328Xi with every option and accessory offered to me as I stepped through the process of "building your car". I cannot guarantee I didn't miss something, but I marked everything I saw.

The BMW options and accessories do add up! Price went from $34,300 base price, plus $775 destination, to $51,101 fully loaded.

The G35x went from $33,950 + $700 to $40,640 fully loaded.

So I can see a difference of about $10.5K, but not $15K.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Sounds about right...
    Like I said, I only added the things my specific G had, and I'll also admit, this was at least 6 months ago.
    I have no idea what's changed... don't care to figure it out.
    I made a post about 6 months ago in another thread when this same subject came out and I itemized everything... but I think it may have been for a G35s and a BMW 330.

I didn't add everything to the G, just the option packs I wanted, not sure if that helps build the gap or not.
    Either way, I made my decision based on price, reliability, look, driving enjoyment, toys, comfort level and so on.

You have to admit though, adding those options to a BMW one at a time like they want you to, the price jumps quite a bit.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Accuracy is just a concept, right?

In my world 10.5K or 11K is ~30% less than 15K.

Help me out here.

It certainly sounds like you're enjoying your G, but telling the world that a comparably-equipped 3 would be 10K more than what you're driving communicates a strong message. Oh, and it's actually correct.

Telling the readers it's 15K sends a different one. I think it's called sour grapes.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There really isn't any reason to think anyone intentionally misrepresented anything, seems to me. But this isn't the right place to be comparing a 3-Series to the G35 anyway. So at this point let's get back to the subject here, okay?
  • erinb510erinb510 Member Posts: 22
    So after test driving the G35 three times and loving it I finally test drove the Lexus 250. I was intending to drive the 350 as well, but never made it that far.

The back seat is microscopic. I'm not a large woman (5' 7", 125 lbs) and I could barely get back there. Honestly, my old 98 Honda Civic coupe had more room in the back seat. Aside from that it felt very tight in the driver’s seat as well, especially with a passenger (who isn't large either).

I do like the exterior a little more than the G35 but didn't feel that the interior was more luxurious like some of you had mentioned. I honestly feel the interior of the G35 and the IS are very comparable.

Another downfall is the pillar on the driver’s side. I felt that is was really in the way of my view.

So, the G35 it is!!!! I can't wait!
    So, the G35 it is!!!! I can't wait!

Not a bad decision Erin... You'll love it!
    Mine is a month old and I still have a goofy smile everytime I walk up to it. :)
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    I plan to have that same smile soon. I'm driving a old model J30 and has 210,000 miles on it. Not all mine but I wish they were. It has not been very reliable lately and just not worth putting any more money into it. I know its called an Infiniti but dont think it has more than a few months left in it.

I also test drove the 250, but after a test drive of the G I think I was sold. I have since gone back and test drove it two more times just to be sure and every time said the same thing. "the G is the car for me"
  • mark99studmark99stud Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the same market, and have test driven both the G35 and IS250 in the last day. I was initially attracted to the muscular stance of the IS250, and thought that was the way I would go when I walked out the door to take some test drives.
    However, coming from owning a TL, I was pretty dismayed with the lack of power from the IS. Seemed similar to my old Accord V4 in terms of zip. I also have to agree with some of the other posters here that the IS seems cramped in the drivers seat, and back seat appears very light on leg room.
    The G35's larger engine and HP was definitely noticable. I'm not a big speed guy, so coming from me that's saying something.
    In terms of looks, the new G35 grew on me - and I'm thinking that's the way I'll go. The cache of owning a Lexus had it's initial appeal, but after looking over them both pretty closely - I think the G35 is standing head and shoulders above the IS250.
    Hope to make my purchase tomorrow or Wednesday.
  • erinb510erinb510 Member Posts: 22
    I think we are all making/made a great decision. Now I just have to wait for it to get here. It seems like everyone on here had to wait some time for their specific vehicle to arrive. The dealership I'm working with said that Infiniti isn't sending out too many with the packages. It seems to me the cliental for this vehicle would only want the upscale packages. Who knows???

Curious... what color did you guys get? I'm loving the Slate Blue, but could go Liquid Platinum too.
    :D
    Yup, I've got the Blue Slate on hold - with the grey interior. Though, when I go back - I might take another look at the tan interior. I've had a grey car before - so looking for something darker.

I'm thinking the only option I'm not going to get is the backup camera/intelligent cruise/intelligent headlights. Seems like the only one I'd use is the backup camera, and even then only sparingly.
  • terra4mterra4m Member Posts: 2
    I went through the same comparison shopping as many of you did. I looked at the BMW 328xi, Lexus IS 250 awd and the G35x. It was a really tough decision. Each car has it's own pros and cons. I love the BMW, but with all the options I wanted, it was close to $50K and I would have to order one and wait longer than I wanted to. Like others have said, it's definitely a personal preference. I ended up going with the loaded to the gills G35x. This car is a blast to drive (not quite up to BMW 3 series, but pretty close). The Lexus was an awesome car, but the cramped back seat and lack of power in the IS250awd was what clinched the deal for me. Also, some others have mentioned the higher maintenance costs for the Infiniti. On what are you basing this on? I've only heard positive things about this car and it's mechanicals. In fact, the engine in the G35 is on the Ward's 10 Best Engine's list (again). The IS350's engine also made the cut, but not the IS250.

All are awesome rides, so if you have any one of them, congrats on a great car...
    Mark, keep in mind that the Wheat interior is not available on the Blue Slate, so if you fall for that interior, you're now looking at a new decision for exterior color.
    I went with the Blue Slate and have the Graphite (Black) interior with the Rosewood trim.

As for options, I suggest test driving a G with the Tech if possible.
    Most I talk to who chose to skip the Tech package are now sorry they did so.
    It's only 1K more, and for what you get, it's an incredible deal.
    The three options in the package work better than I could have ever hoped, and I'm not sorry one bit that I went that route.
    At least think about it.
    The only thing that my G is missing that the IS offered me was the ventilated seats.
    I loved those, and wish the G had them.
    Every other part of the car beats the IS250 hands down, so I guess it's a small price to pay.

Unless you need illuminated door sills.
    Then the IS would be the only choice. :P
  • from_flfrom_fl Member Posts: 113
    Can your G go 400+ miles per tank?
    Downhill with a good tail wind, sure.

I had a full list of wants and needs, and although MPG was on the list, it was not at the top for me.
    I'm lucky enough to work less than a mile away from my wife, so we commute together in her car 3 days a week.
    That saves me on gas $.
    Driven calmly, the G is actually not bad at all on gas, and right in line with the IS250, since you mentioned it.

I will say that if you want a "sporty" car with a nice luxury feel, the IS250 should be on your list.

My list included that, but I also wanted AWD... AND performance. The 250 fell short in that cartegory.
    If the IS350 offered AWD, I would have bought one in the Spring of 06, when I first started my search.

Infiniti hit the nail on the head, for what I wanted... and I love it! :blush:
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    Scottm123, 1 mile commute and you use the other car 3 days a week! you'll be out of break-in period in May... 2011

Start burnin' it up!
    Thanks for the suggestion Scott, and when I went back today - I decided to get the Tech package as well. I guess I was thinking it was more expensive, but - when you spread 1K more out over several years...better to have it than to regret.
    I stuck with the Blue Slate/Stone interior with the metallic trim. Took a look at the wood trim, but it didn't exactly jump out at me...so stuck with the metal look. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon!
    ". . . The back seat is microscopic. . ."

Exactly. I'm not small, but had no problem enjoying the dickens out of an MGB that I drove well over 100K miles & a couple of Miatas in the '90's. The IS is beyond tiny. If I wanted a roadster, I'd get one.

I gave this thing a shot because it came with a manual, but research revealed: 1) it was tiny inside (as you posted), 2) no fold-down rear seat (which I require) & 3) the handling isn't in the same class with the G and the 3.

Some obviously prefer the IS. I'm not among them, and it sounds like you're not either.

Enjoy that G. It's off my list because: 1) that fold-down rear-seat thing, 2) the gas mileage sucks & 3) they're becoming so popular that they're everywhere. Look for me in a 3-series wagon/estate/avant in the not-too-distant future.
    1 mile commute and you use the other car 3 days a week! you'll be out of break-in period in May... 2011

LOL
    Actually, our commute is 45 miles each way.
    As long as we stay fairly quiet in the morning, it's a nice ride together (I'm not a morning person and my wife can't seem to stop chatting :cry: )

The car is a month old and I'm sitting at 450 miles.
    At this rate, break-in will be complete and I'll be WOT in 2 feet of snow! :P
    I stuck with the Blue Slate/Stone interior with the metallic trim. Took a look at the wood trim, but it didn't exactly jump out at me...so stuck with the metal look. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon!

Awesome car... enjoy it!
    I like the Washi interior as well, but when I sat in it, the interior kept talking to me. It said "Psst, I'm a sports car and need to be driven 120 mph everywhere you go".

The Rosewood interior had a slightly calmer feel to it.
    I wanted the refined feel that the Rosewood had to offer.
    It sit in the car, and there's this beam of light that shines in through the moonroof and I can hear angels singing in the distance.
    Then I start the car and the exhaust note creeps in through the back seat or through an open window.... and then the car says "Psst, I'm a sports car and need to be driven 120 mph everywhere you go".

I guess it doesn't matter which interior you choose, this car has the potential of getting you in trouble. ;)
  • triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    i just placed a hold on a blue slate on graph prem nav and tire pack. Out here in my area, very little rain or bad weather so I can get away with summer tires all year round so figured I'll pay for the performance tires. I thought about the tech package but convinced myself that it was one thing that i could do without. Will see if i eat those words later in a few months.
    LOL
    I love the Tech Package!

The adaptive lights are absolutely fantastic if you have to drive on unlit windy roads.

The backup camera, I'm used to having in the MDX and learned to love, so I knew I'd like that. The lines on the screen changing as I turn the wheel is a nice additional feature the MDX didn't offer.

The ICC is where this package shines the most.
    I expected it to work, but it works so much better than I could have hoped.
    I NEVER used cruise control, cause as soon as I hit the Set button, people came out of the wood work just to get in front of me... not anymore.
    It's like having Ron Popiel in my car.
    I just "set it and forget it"! :D
  • wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    THanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. I completely forgot to check these forums.

Nonetheless, I have decided. Its G35 all the way. So to all you G35 owners out there, I will be joining you guys soon :) Im gonna deal this saturday. When I make that deal, im gonna be counting the minutes till I get that SWWEEETTTTT ride.

I have decided.. that I dont want to pay for a 50 thousand dollar "camry" (IS250). Sorry, no offence to IS250 owners. Its a very nice car.. its just, it just doesnt offer the thrills that a G35 has to offer. Not even close... :sick:

Hey Scott123.. I hope u see this. Cuz I wont be eating your dust no more when I get my sweet ride.. ;) I'll be tearing up the streets as much as u can.. if not better :P haha

OH I remember your lil comment.. haha
    Nice choice.
    You won't regret it. ;)
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    So I guess the G35 is just a $50K Altima then right?
    LOL!!! Very good point.

The IS250 is no more a Camry than the G is an Altima.
    And, if you were gonna play that card, the IS is actually a Corolla, and not a Camry at all.
    The ES350 is a Camry.
  • from_flfrom_fl Member Posts: 113
    Gas price will goes up to 4 dollars. How far(not fast) can your G35 go?
    People who whimper about gas prices shouldn't be buying any performance vehicle, including the G35.

I'm getting low 20's in my G and I'm more than happy with that.
    Also, a lot of owners who I've spoke to who have hit the 3500 mile mark are now reporting mid 20's.
  • neil0311neil0311 Member Posts: 8
    wes_888, there is no IS that you can buy that costs $50K, and that includes the IS350. Most IS250's are running mid to high 30's OTD depending on model and options, and IS350s are high 30's to low 40's depending.

I bought an IS250 AWD and shopped the G35x as well. The G35 is a very nice car and is a bit roomier, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The additional HP really isn't something I need, given I'm not in a rush to make it to the next traffic light 2 seconds faster. If I was, an IS350 would have gotten me there quicker than your G35 anyway.

For me, the poorer gas mileage around town (and yes, when gas is $4/gallon it matters), somewhat funky looking rear end, and IMO cheaper looking interior in the Infiniti were enough to tip the balance for me to the Lexus. To say that the IS is a "Camry" shows that you're either unwilling to be honest or you never actually drove an IS. I have driven an 07 Camry and the IS is about as far from it as you can get. The ES350 is much more like the Camry if you must make that comparison.

BTW, I've also driven a new 07 Altima SE 3.5 with leather and nav and you could save $10K and buy that because your G35 is essentially the same vehicle with nicer seats. See, that sounds silly too, huh?
    Yikes! I seem to have caused quite a disturbance with the Camry comment.. :surprise: lol

In regards to a 50K IS, the reason why I say 50K is cuz I live in Canada, and thats what I'll end up paying after taxes :P

and now the camry comment... haha.. now, I didnt mean that in the truest sense. I meant it in a way of.. in world of sport sedans, such as, comparing the G, the BMW, the IS, etc. I just didnt find the thrill of a "sport sedan" when I compare the IS to the BMW 3 series or the G35. It just didnt give me that... "feeling" or that sense of.. "wow, im driving an amazing car". It just didnt bring a grin to my face the way the G did or the 3 series did.

I just didnt get the sporty edge from it.. hence, the whole camry comment. THat comment could be applied to any other family type cars.. like the accord and such. I mean, dont get me wrong. The IS is a WONDERFUL CAR. Its hot. It certainly looks great and it has lots to offer. But if we are saying.. in terms of.. how the car performs and feels in the world of sport sedans, I just dont see it comparing to the G or the 3.

I find.. the G and 3 to be.. a sport sedan first, then lux thrown it after. Whereas with the Lexus IS, it feels more like, lux was the priority, and the sport was thrown in after.

As a stand alone car... I think the IS is quite a stunning car. No doubt about it. I really really really considered buying one. NO offense to IS owners. Cuz I think, you have an AMAZING car. Its only when, I compare it to the G, that I find, it doesnt perform as nice as the G.

Thats just my personal thoughts about the matter. THe whole camry comment was not suppose to be taken literally.. just a fancy way of getting my point across with more flavour ;)
    thats what my dad tells me all the time.. :S lol
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    As a stand alone car... I think the IS is quite a stunning car. No doubt about it. I really really really considered buying one. NO offense to IS owners. Cuz I think, you have an AMAZING car. Its only when, I compare it to the G, that I find, it doesn't perform as nice as the G.

Don't really get this board the first place anyway. Why is the G35 being compared to the IS250? Wouldn't the IS350 be a better suited competitor?

I test drove both the G35S, 335i last winter and own an IS350. Be honest, out of the 3, both the 335i and IS350 give me the thrill once I step on the gas but not the G. The G, however, felt more confident (as well as the 335i) going thru corners. For some reason, even though both G35 and IS350 are rated at 306HP, it just felt that the G is less "punchier".

Overall, 335i is still the leader of the pack but that ugly interior is still very hard to be overlooked (at least for me that is). The interior of the G is a huge upgrade from the previous model but still inferior compare to others like 3er, IS and TL. For an enthusiast who doesn't want to pay 335i kind of money a G35S with manual tranny is probably the only way to go. For a guy who wants luxury and go fast on highways, nothing is better than an IS350.

At the end, to each of his/her own. :)
    The IS is an upscale Corolla
    The G35 is an upscale Altima.

These are facts.
    But to say that a G is essentially the same vehicle as an Altima with nicer seats?
    That's like saying the IS is a Corolla with wood trim.
    It's completely absurd.

I've seen the 07 Altima 3.5, my friend owns one.
    Yes, it's a nice car if that's what your budget allows.
    It is not, however, a G35 and it'll take more than a seat swap to get it there.
    I also love the IS.
    I started considering the IS250 AWD back in very early 06.
    I was in the showroom with deposit in hand.
    The only thing that stopped me was the fact that they were playing games and didn't seem to want to supply me with the exact model I wanted, special order or not.
    I wanted the Mark Lev package and they couldn't deliver.
    I left upset and without my beloved IS, and ended up buying our "family vehicle" Acura MDX instead. (Same weekend)

I sat and waited for my wallet to grow again and by the time I was ready to buy again, more options had arrived.
    I again wanted the IS but now wanted more performance in my vehicle. IS250 and performance don't really go together.
    The IS350 is great, but I really needed AWD and wanted a slightly larger backseat for my daughter's comfort.
    The TL never did anything for me and the G just showed up at just the right time.

If it wasn't for the horrible service at my local Lexus dealership, I'd be driving one right now.
    I'm very happy with the way things turned out though. :)
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    The G35 is certainly not an "upscale Altima." It's not even built off the same platform. I assume the same is true between the IS and Corolla.
    That's just the point.

Lexus is the upscale Toyota, Infiniti is the upscale Nissan, Acura is an upscale Honda...etc.
    Take the Acura TL. It's an upscale Accord.
    90% of the parts are different, but it is still an upscale Accord.

We're not talking about literal scalings of the same car, but if you follow the lineups, most luxury brand companies follow a similar lineup.
    They add luxury and in most cases, performance, to the lower end lineup.

They are, by no means what-so-ever, the same cars... in any way.
    If they were, we wouldn't be willing to pay the extra buck for the luxury brand.
  • neil0311neil0311 Member Posts: 8
    Scottm123, of course the G and the Altima are different cars and the comment, if taken seriously, is absurd. That's why if you read my comments, which were made tongue-in-cheek and in reference to the Camry comaparison to the IS, I said:

"BTW, I've also driven a new 07 Altima SE 3.5 with leather and nav and you could save $10K and buy that because your G35 is essentially the same vehicle with nicer seats. See, that sounds silly too, huh? "
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Good day.
    I have a service question for someone that hopefully can help me regarding my 07 G 35X.

I was reading my owners manual and it says at 7500 mile service this is done oil change, rotate tires, check fluids check brakes etc etc.

The first question is when you tell them you want the 7 500 mile service hopefully i would expect all this to be done?/

Second question say if i dont want to bring the car to the dealer for the 7,500 mile service and want to bring it to my mechanic and i tell him to rotate and balance the tires first of all.
    I was reading the owners manual and it said that the Tire pressure warning lite will come on when you change the rim or put another tire on. Will this lite come on and stay on if i rotated and balanced the tires not done at the dealer??
    Does it have to be done at the dealer because of that lite?
    Also will the lite come on and stay on if i changed eventually all 4 tires or if i got a flat and had the nail taken out and re inflated??

thank you.
    The maintenance on any car, not just the G, can be done by anyone, anywhere.
    It is not required to bring it back to the dealership, although that is just what they hope for.
    The dealership will make more $ in your maintenance visits than they did on your purchase.
    Most of the stuff in those suggested service intervals in nonsense anyway (cost) and can be done yourself.
    Don't be afraid to go elsewhere.... just get the suggested fluids and rotations done.

As for tire sensors, they are registered to your car's computer.
    If you install new wheels with new sensors, the new sensors would need to be registered.
    Rotating tires is not a problem though.
    You can rotate your tires and no work to the sensors will be required.
    Since the sensors are installed in the wheel, and not in the tire itself... changing tires after a flat is also not a problem.... as long as the hack doing the work doesn't break the sensor while mounting the tire.
    The sensors are actually pretty delicate.
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Thank you kindly. So then i will take it to myu mechanic and not infiniti for the tire rotation. Im not changing the wheels and never will just hope that the sensor isnt broken.

In addition what about the transmission fluid?? The manual said to use only nissan brand fluid for that but all other fluids you can use equivalent.

One last thing what would you use for the power steering fluid?? Dextron 2 transmission fluid which the cap of the power steering fluid says or Power steering fluid which the manual says?? Somewhat vague.

Thanks again
  • bread8bread8 Member Posts: 16
    G35 is rear wheel drive, Altima is front wheel drive. IS is rear wheel drive, Corolla is front wheel drive. This is a major difference and requires a different platform.

G35(at least 2006) was made in Japan and imported into US. Altima is made in America. Size is similar, options are similar, but make no mistake...the cars are quite different. I had an Altima and it is nowhere near the car that my G35 6M is.

A better analogy is the Accord and TL. Same platform. Camry and ES. Same platform.
    The 07 and 08 G is built in Japan as well.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I thought this thread was dead, and for good reason. The G performs much better than the IS250, the G has more room. The IS has better fit & finish but thats not to say the G has poor fit and finish, the fit & finish in the G is at par with most of the ELLPS. Given this, the better buy would be the G. I have the IS250 & within the coming year will be trading it in for the G or IS350.

There is no reason why any man should drive a car worth +35k that is slower than an Accord or Honda Civic si for that matter.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    There is no reason why any man should drive a car worth +35k that is slower than an Accord or Honda Civic si for that matter.

...thinking the same here. :mad:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I guess it would depend on if "fast" was "any man's" only criterion! ;)
    the meat, it's the motion. (That, by the way, is a song title from a couple of decades ago, not a wish to cause trouble)

Some people appreciate fine handling & put acceleration in the second tier of what they're looking for.

Others clearly don't.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    like i said, for 35k, you should have power, even if you do not need it. I learnt my lesson when I bought this car. The funny thing though, the car delivers in everything else but the power. I test drove the G and you can see what you are giving up in terms of fit & finish & overall quality. But there is no doubt, the G makes up for all that with the bigger engine. For someone who does not care about power (this was my view when I got the IS250), there is no doubt the Lex is the better buy.