Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• tysons4carstysons4cars Member Posts: 3
    Here is whats new for 2001...
    Running boards are std on SLT+ models
    SLT & SLT+ models, new Special Appearance Group(Pewter accents on front and rear fascia, pewter colored bodyside molding, pewter running boards, pewter painted wheels)
    New 15x7 & 16x8 cast alloy wheels
    New exterior heated auto day/night mirrors
    New Std dual zone climate control
    New rear A/C with HEATER
    New interior cloth seats, instrument panel
    New electronic shift transfer case (dial system)
    New overhead console with Homelink
    New Power PASSENGER seat with POWER Lumbar
    New Heated Leather seats
    New std 6 speaker system
    New load shedding battery (battery saver)
    New Variable intermittent rear wiper
    New Aerodynamic large mirrors with tow package
    New Sentry Key Immogbilizer Module
    New Seat Belt Pretensioners
    2 New Colors - Lt Pewter Metallic (replaces driftwood) and Dark Garnet Red (replaces Aquamarine)
  • tysons4carstysons4cars Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, no sunroff or rear flipper window glass this year.
  • mturquezamturqueza Member Posts: 3
    We really like the Durango, however our next SUV will have a sunroff!!! I heard that a sunroof is not possible with a durango because of the rear air cond. Has anyone installed an aftermarket sunroof on their durango?
  • gemini6369gemini6369 Member Posts: 5
    Actually it is possible to get a sunroof. Without the A/C it isn't a problem a friends neighbor had it done and it looked great. with a rear A/C I have been told that it can be done but the A/C unit sits lower blocking your rear view. There is a FAQ section in the durangoclub.com site with the manufacture of the power sunroof.

Eric
  • 2151896621518966 Member Posts: 3
    While shopping for a 2000 DD leftover at Reedman's Langhorne Pa, I saw four DD with an aftermarket electric moonroof and rear AC. The dealer sends the DD out to have the moonroof installed.
    The dealer option cost is $1399.00. I'm sure it can be had for less.
  • 2151896621518966 Member Posts: 3
    I'm planning to buy a 2000 DD SLT leftover with: 5.9 V8 Pref Equip Grp 28G, Security Grp, Thirdseat, Pwr fold away mirrors, rear AC w/o heat, running boards, AM/FM cas, cd, equal, 8 infinity speakers, 31x10.5R15 OWL, matching spare wheel, wheel flares and 15x8.0 aluminium wheels, cloth interior. Is this a good price???
    MSRP 33075
    Dis 2805
    Rebate 1500 (with .09% loan
    2500 without .09%)
    I can purchase it for 28777
    Question on responce #314. With the sunroof installed w/ the Rear A/C was the A/C unit lowered noticable to obstruct rearview? I am 6'1" and was curious.
    2 site found so far w/ 2001 pricing www.giggo.com & carsdirect.com. Sorry Edmunds. Giggo comes up with pricing working out cheaper than 2000 models and is easy to use and carsdirect is higher and a little confusing. Anyone out there with additional input please post.

Thank You
  • dallasdurangodallasdurango Member Posts: 1
    Is there a place on the vehicle to see what factory options are installed ? I am looking for a preowned Durango and don't want to trust the dealer. If there are, where on the vehicle are they and where can I get a list of what the option is that matches the code ? Thanks
  • q8740q8740 Member Posts: 12
    Look in the glove box , thier will be a sticker listing all the options

Scott Q
  • msjrmsjr Member Posts: 13
    Can someone please tell me what Ball Joints are and where are they?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (msjr) These are actually "ball and socket" joints. (like the bones in your arm-to-shoulder joint.)

Although there are numerous 'ball joints' on a vehicle, I beleive this discussion is about the ones that hold the front wheels in alignment. (2 joints on each wheel, one at top and one at the bottom) This allows the front wheels to steer and go over bumps all at the same time. There is a LOT of stress on these joints. Typically they last for over 100,000 miles if your roads are smooth. Potholes and dirt roads will shorten the life of ball joints. The DC shop manual calls out a grease fitting on the LOWER ball joint that needs to be lubed regularly.(on SOME vehicles)
  • elmo15elmo15 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased 2000 4x4 Durango:
    Invoice total was $29,851
    MSRP- $32,725
    Has the SLT Plus decor package, leather, CDw/cassette,security,fog lamps,flairs, 26Gpackage
    We were given $12,000 for a '97 Dodge B250 hi-top Conversion van ( front air only, no power seats,powerbed, TV/VCR, limo lighting, good body condition, 71,000 miles)our bottom line was $17,450(We opted for the $1000 cashback and 5% 60 mos. financing)We also purchased a 4 yr. 70,000 mi
    extended warranty because we put so many miles on our vehicles, (It cost $1100) Good Deal???
  • jercl66jercl66 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking at the sticker on a 2001 and the horsepower was rated at 230 not 235 on the4.7.Was it a type o or did Dodge reduce the HP ?
    (jercl66) Did this vehicle have the "Border States" emision package? The 4.7 has ALWAYS been rated a bit lower with the triple catalytic converters that this package has.

I have heard (just rumor) that for 2001, ALL 4.7L engines will have the triple converters fitted.
    In 2000, only seletetd states mandated this package. It has been discoverd that many people purchase their vehicles from out-of-state dealers thus bypassing the emmisions laws for their home state.
  • sarnacsarnac Member Posts: 1
    We just picked up our new 2000 D SLT+ 2WD 5.9L with virtually all options and love it. The D will replace a 95 Blazer LT that has been less than stellar.

We had held off buying until this time of year hoping to see some strong discounts, this turned out to be a very worthwhile plan. We drove our D off the lot for $25995 vs a list price of $32,100.

While I gave up 4x4 that I had on the Blazer, I live in Atlanta and never have time to go off road so I am more than happy to save a little money up front and on maint. So far a great vehicle and surprisingly fun to drive..(when I can get it away from my wife!)
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    hey, check out this list of changes to the 01' durango...

2001 Dodge Durango Feature Highlights

*NOTE: The information shown is preliminary and based on data available at the time of publication.

EQUIPMENT GROUPS

Special Appearance Group: 16-inch aluminum wheels, body side moldings, running boards and lower portions of fascias all with pewter accents - optional on SLT

POWERTRAIN

Next Generation 4.7-liter Magnum® V-8 engine and multi-speed 45RFE automatic transmission standard on 2WD models

NV233HD and NV244 electronically shifted 4WD transfer cases with rotary instrument panel control

P265/70R16 outline white letter tires and 16 x 8-inch Sparkle Silver-painted cast aluminum wheels in 4WD Tire, Wheel and Wheel Flare Group - available on SLT

CHASSIS

New standard 15 x 7-inch Sparkle-Silver-painted cast aluminum wheels

P255/65R16 outline white letter all-season tires and 16 x 8-inch Sparkle Silver-painted cast aluminum wheels in 2WD Tire, Wheel and Wheel Flare Group - available on SLT

BODY

New exterior colors - Dark Garnet Red Pearl Coat and Light Pewter Metallic

Variable-delay intermittent rear window wiper system

Automatic-dimming, heated, power 5x7-inch mirrors - available on SLT

New aerodynamic power foldaway mirrors - Trailer Tow Group

INTERIOR

New instrument panel with color-keyed components and surface-mounted controls for radio and HVAC system

New instrument cluster with engine oil level indicator

Vacuum fluorescent digital transmission range display in instrument cluster with 44RE and 46RE automatic transmissions

HomeLink® Universal Transmitter added to Overhead Convenience Group

New floor console with three cup holders, armrest, coin holder, tissue holder, pen holder, removable cassette and CD storage bin, cellular telephone compartment, 12-volt power outlet and interior lamp (only with bucket seats)

Woodgrain trim added to floor console - SLT Plus Group only

New sew patterns and materials on all cloth seats Optional bucket seats for Sport model New colors: Sandstone, Dark Slate Grey and Taupe

Manually adjustable lumbar support on passenger seat - SLT

Power passenger seat - SLT Plus Group only

Power lumbar support on driver and passenger power seats

Leather front seats include heaters with 2-level temperature control 2001

All-new interior trim panels

New standard tilt steering column provides additional positions

Improved HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) system with dual-zone front temperature controls, more heating and cooling capacity, two additional instrument panel outlets and recirculation available in bi-level mode

Rear HVAC system with separate second and third seat air conditioning outlets and a separate heater

Upgraded base and Infinity® speaker systems

ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS

Battery saver system to prevent inadvertent battery discharge

New 160-ampere heavy-duty alternator

SAFETY & SECURITY

Front seat belt pretensioners Sentry Key™ engine immobilizer added to optional Security Group
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    ps...a side note. was also looking at the new features on the grand cherokee. chrysler is now making a 5 speed automatic for the jeep (dubbed 545rfe). it apparently has a second overdrive ratio for improved highway fuel economy and lower engine noise and seems to come only with the 4.7l v/8. sure hope this modified 45rfe makes its way into the durango lineup soon!
  • durangort1durangort1 Member Posts: 13
    On AUG. 21st I bought A totally loaded black Durango 5.9 R/T for $5635 off the sticker price including all incentives/rebates etc. This vehicle not only has an awesome appearance but also is a blast to drive. I was impressed with the amount of refinement this vehicle has along with great handling. I am currently getting 14.5 miles per gallon according to the trip computer. I traded a 1996 Explorer V8 ALL WHEEL DRIVE and there is absolutely no comparison. The sound of the high performance exhaust is enough to give anyone a big "O" and certainly gets attention. I commend Dodge for a job well done.

sersmr@pa.net
  • ggray1ggray1 Member Posts: 1
    I JUST BOUGHT A "D" FULLY LOADED ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES. I LIVE IN CANADA AND SALT AND SNOW ARE COMMON HERE. I'M TOLD THERE ARE GOOD OIL SPRAYS OUT THERE AT A LOW FEE ($59.00)PER YEAR VS $590.00 FOR A NAME BRAND CO. MY MAIN CONCERN DO THESE OIL SPRAYS REALY WORKS????? HELP OUT THERE!!
  • vagirl1952vagirl1952 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to order my 2001 Dodge Durango R/T. It looks like there are alot of new options, and that makes me happy! :) Thank's for the info!
    Vagirl1952.
  • facemanrtfacemanrt Member Posts: 1
    What is base sticker price for Dodge Durango R/T 2000 model loaded, please help. Thanks, kthriftqueen@aol.com
  • durangort1durangort1 Member Posts: 13
    Are you actually looking for the base price or the loaded price. They are two different things.
    A totally loaded R/T stickers for $36,525 then you get $615 discount for a SLT discount and customer preferred discount. This brings it down to $35,910. Dodge has a mark up of approx. $3,000 and no matter what the sticker dollar figure is, you need to target $3,000 less as your final price to get a good deal. I found one that I received $5635 off after a week of wheeling and dealing but this also was a demo so I did better than anyone else could offer since it was the only demo within 100 miles from my home. A 50+ year old Sales Manager put all 3800 miles on it so I feel it was treated right during break-in. You would be amazed at the difference in feel while driving the R/T over the other packages. I am sure this model will be in higher demand down the road to help keep the value up. It definitely has a following unique of itself.
  • gofrank150gofrank150 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had issues with overheating? In recent weeks in very hot outside temps, our 98 durango has been overheating. It seems to happen mostly when you have the car in drive with your foot on the brake for an extended period of time (e.g. in the drive through of a slow mcdonalds).

The check gauges light comes on and we find if you put it in park or drive off, the temp will quickly drop from 260 to 200 in a matter of a few seconds - its as if the fan is not kicking on appropriately, but when it does all is well.

i see a couple tsb's out there but not sure of the content - anyone know? i noticed a few comments about bad fan clutch assemblies on the nhtsa sight.

similar experiences anyone?
  • americanpride1americanpride1 Member Posts: 6
    Howdy y'all. Geez, 3 1/2 years in Texas can really mess you up. Here's a question for you guys. I've got a problem that randomly crops up in my 98 and I wanted to know if many people have had this problem. The controls for my air conditioner/vent/heater would not change "positions" when I rotated the knob or would take a while before for example the vents would change from the dash to the floor. Yesterday I discovered a new twist. I had my A/C going and when I went to shut off the air it decided to keep on running. It's kind of funny feeling cold air blow in your face while the A/C is off until you realize you have to make another jaunt to your friendly Dodge service department. Well, at least it isn't the windows again.

Kerry
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Why don't you try asking your questions on the Durango Owner's Club forum:
    http://www.durangoclub.com/ceilidh/xframe.html

There are well over 1000 members that may have insights and information.
  • jmarinojmarino Member Posts: 19
    We want to desperately buy a 2000 Durango SLT but am having a tough time getting a deal we like. I live in the Binghamton ,NY area. We looked at one today which MSRP at 31,500 and they were giving us a price of 30,000 and made it sound like it was the deal of the decade. I read on the forums here where people are getting these at a little over invoice. Is my area the reason we cant get a deal ?
    any insite would help us please !!!!!
  • gilesgiles Member Posts: 15
    Take the sticker price and deduct 10%... that's a ball park figure of the invoice cost. Negotiate from there. You should be able to get the $31,000
    Durango for $28K minus the $1000 rebate the factory is offering. I wouldn't pay any more than $27k for that 2000 D.
  • mrzangmrzang Member Posts: 4
    Car seats in the Durango...well they are NOT fun. The will fit in the third seat if you don't put the arm down (where it is supposed to be) or if you fold the seat down in front of it. The only way they will fit in the second seat is with the seat in front of it WAY forward. If you stick it in the middle of the second row, both the driver and passenger seats have to be forward.

Once they get to the over 24 lb seat, they are NO problem...it's just the rear facing seats that take up too much room to be comfortable in the Durango.
  • jacmyoungjacmyoung Member Posts: 3
    Since many asked this question, I would encourage owners to post price info.

I struck a lease deal in Northern CA. 2000 Durango 4X4 SLT MSRP $31,655 including destination (edmunds invoice $28,597.)

My final sales price was $27,182, I got to use the $1,500 rebate also, towards drive-off. So no money out of my pocket, 60mo. at $360/mo. plus tax. I think it is a very good deal. Basically $6,000 off MSRP if the rebate is included.

It is 4.7 motor, but enough juice and better gas mileage. I was surprised at how smooth it ran both city and on freeway. Knock on wood it turns out to be reliable also, since I always had Toyotas before. I will report my actual mileage later.
  • kashmoney000kashmoney000 Member Posts: 2
    Would a used 1998 Dodge Durango be too much truck for a new but yet good 17 year old driver to handle?? Also, my parents are hellbent on me not getting the V-8 *Although I will gladly deal with tha gas problem on my own.* Therefore, is tha 6 Cylinder in the 1998 Edition enough Juice to power this behemoth?? Any comprehensive help would be greatly appreciated. Please post here or contact me. Thank you in advance.
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    I am really excited. I am a freshman in college and my parents just said i could have my moms 99 durango. Its flame red with tan leather, and has fulltime 4 wheel drive and the 5.2 liter engine. My parents really lliked it but my mom wants something more carlike, like either a bmw x5 or one of the new thunderbirds coming out. Well now that i am getting this i need to make it into a kids car. So what are some cool accesories to add to it. I want a front grill bar, but what else is there to make this the ultimate college ride. Thanks
    (kashmoney000)
    All I can tell you that MY first rig at the age of 16 (Driving age in Vermont) was a 1976 FULL SIZE Blazer (Now Called YUKON?) It was BIGGER than the present day Durango.

The only complaint I got from my parents was my Mom telling me to wash the MUD off of it before bringing it home so my Dad would not see it.
    (True Story)

I would drive in the woods on fire roads and across rivers (NO BRIDGE AVAILABLE) many miles from any pavement. I learned a LOT about traction and handling without having any other vehicles around to bump into. What else is there to do in the boonies of Vermont?
  • kashmoney000kashmoney000 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me with a convincing argument to my parents about why the V-8 engine is not too much power?? They are convinced it is too much, and with comments like *I did not even think they made V-8's anymore*, I could use as much help as possible convincing them.

After all, I do not want to be stuck with a 6-cylinder piece of crap SUV. I am in love with the Durango, and would most likely go with a Used '98. Thank you.
  • alandaland Member Posts: 1
    Kashmoney000 Do your research as it appears you are slightly to imature for a V8 SUV. It is horsepower to weight and gearing not V8 or 6 cylinder that is important. Some of the most respected SUVs do not even offer a V8. We own two V6 pieces of crap an Xterra and a 99 Durango. Both of which are excellent SUVs. My advice do not buy until you find a 6 cylinder Durango. Seeing as they only made 90 (18 of them in 98) the rest of us should be safe for awhile...
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    Always go for the biggest engine available. simple as that. doesn't matter if it's a truck, car, suv, whatever. as for safety, I'd much rather have a V-8 if I'm passing someone on a 2-lane road. a v-6 would scare me to death. especially that old dodge v-6 that could be described as anemic at best. besides, dodge's 5.2 and 5.9 V-8's are very mediocre in terms of power anyway.
  • rstokcrstokc Member Posts: 3
    I can't get a straight answer from my Dodge dealer. I want to know what the recommended tire pressure is for my 2000 Durango 4X4. It has the Goodyear Wrangler 31x10.5R15 OWL tires. On my door panel, it shows the proper pressure for P235x75R15 tires as 36 PSI front and 41 PSI back. Problem is, those aren't the tires mine came with. Dealership garage didn't know jack. Anyone got these and know?
    There should have been a tire supplement with
    your new D listing all the tires and the inflation
    pressures.
    If anyone is having a clicking noise coming from the Durango springs or a rub, rub noise from the front axle area go to durangoclub.com forum
    to get numbers and problem descriptions. Just
    had mine fixed.
  • dash7dash7 Member Posts: 2
    It happened again !!! my 1999 D quit again in the middle of the road. "NO BUS" msg appears on the trip/odo. Dealer "cant duplicate" is the repeated theme when brought to the service shop. Has happened 3 !!! times and I have lost total confidence in this car (still under factory warranty). I know of at least two other testimonies confirming a similar Gremlins, Chrsyler ppl all play coy and don't know whats wrong. I would love to hear similar war stories or remedies.

dash
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dealer has the ability to plug a "recorder" into your PCM to trace problems that occur sporadically. Maybe you need to remind them of this.

BTW, this sounds like a loose connection to the PCM. Have you verified that all three connectors are completely inserted and "locked" in place?
  • captain13captain13 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone out there had a problem with their D shifting from 1st to 2nd gear? I'm on my 2nd 00,4x4,4.7l, 3.55 in 5 months. (The 1st one had other tranny prob's and they agreed to give me a new one). Both seemed to have occasional struggles getting into 2nd. The tranny seems to kick or "hiccup" when its trying to shift. It dosn't matter if I'm accelerating slowly or fast or if its cold or warm. Is this normal for these vehicles? Should I just shutup and live with it?
  • aclark3aclark3 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 Durango SLT, 4.7 and am having a problem. I've read most of the postings looking for anyone with a similar situation and posting #15 is one example that sounds sort of like my situation. Since my purchase a few weeks ago I'm hearing a rattling noise coming up from my defrost vents on top of the dash. I've had it in twice but the service guys said they can't hear it. I even drove with them. Almost every passenger I've had in it can hear it. Maybe I need a service guy with younger ears.

It occurs when I hit a higher rpm and continues from 40mph and above. It is a real high frequency but very audible. The rattle doesn't change speeds it stays the same at a fast paced rattle in sync with the engine rpm increase. When I take off the gas it goes away only to come back again. I'm thinking it is something in the engine rattling against the frame closest to the dash. I've popped the hood and looked but am not sure. My next move is to put sponges in between any engine part and the frame to see what that does. Not sure what else to do. I'll drive this sucker to Detroit if need be and have the quality control experts figure it out.
  • aclark3aclark3 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2000 Durango SLT, 4.7 and am having a problem. I've read most of the postings looking for anyone with a similar situation and posting #15 is one example that sounds sort of like my situation. Since my purchase a few weeks ago I'm hearing a rattling noise coming up from my defrost vents on top of the dash. I've had it in twice but the service guys said they can't hear it. I even drove with them. Almost every passenger I've had in it can hear it. Maybe I need a service guy with younger ears.

It occurs when I hit a higher rpm and continues from 40mph and above. It is a real high frequency but very audible. The rattle doesn't change speeds it stays the same at a fast paced rattle in sync with the engine rpm increase. When I take off the gas it goes away only to come back again. I'm thinking it is something in the engine rattling against the frame closest to the dash. I've popped the hood and looked but am not sure. My next move is to put sponges in between any engine part and the frame to see what that does. Not sure what else to do. I'll drive this sucker to Detroit if need be and have the quality control experts figure it out.
  • binwalidbinwalid Member Posts: 1
    When you are negotiating with a dealer, do you let them know other quotes you have gotten from other dealers ??

ALSO is this a good deal --> 2000 R/T Black fully loaded, with Off-Road Pkg ( Brush guard , etc) and sunroof for $33200
  • jbordovajbordova Member Posts: 15
    I would like to put a brush guard on. How much does that cost if you get that from the factory? Also can hella lamps be put on these, because i would like too. Thanks
    (captain13) All I can tell you is that the 4-speed automatic especially made for the 4.7L hemi engine is "special".

By that, I mean that it is a COMPLETELY NEW DESIGN that uses a unique "learning" process. This xmission needs time to figure out your driving habits and "learn" how to shift according to your habits. (Sharing the vehicle between drivers with differing habits keeps it thoroughly confused.)

Since the 4.7L with 4-speed autmatic has been available on EXACTLY 3 VEHICLES (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dakota and the Durango) It has been relitivly easy to review the EDMUNDS forums and determine that this xmission is "troublesome"
    ... I orderd the 5-speed manual xmission!
  • bluestreakbluestreak Member Posts: 1
    Looking to replace the noisy badyears on my wife's 98 Durango SLT. Any recommendations? Tirerack suggested the Michelin LTX-MS or LTX-AT. Mostly, I'd like to find a good tire for the snow, while dropping the noise level down as much as possible. These badyears are really noisy as all get out. Any thoughts would be helpful. You may also feel free to re-direct me to a FAQ if one exists for this topic.
  • gemini7gemini7 Member Posts: 1
    Hey "Bluestreak",

Try the following site. It is the Durango Owners Club who have over a 1000 members. This link should take you straight to the forum page. The Michelin tire has been used on a few of the D's with much praise. Talk to the tirerack guy and let him know your driving style (On of Off-Road Mainly) the AT tire may not be advantages for you. When I called them they directed me towards the LTX "S" rated tire over the "H" Rated. S is suppose to give better snow handling and H is better for rain. Hope this helps.

Eric S.

http://www.durangoclub.com/ceilidh/xframe.html
  • captain13captain13 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the transmission info. I had read about
    the tranny and 4.7l being new and matched to each other. I don't think the learning system is totally unique to this vehicle however. A mechanic once told me that my 94 Camry "learned" my driving habits and adjusted itself to deliver maximum performance based on how I drove. I assumed that since two identical 00 D's did the same thing that it probably wasn't anything to be too concerned about. I have been deliberately trying to drive at different speeds etc. to give the engine a good break in. I'm sure that is confusing the heck out of the system.
This discussion has been closed.