Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser Navigation System

Comments

• willy12willy12 Member Posts: 13
    Hi allaccess........wish i could grant you "success". Perhaps we should consider signing a petition to Toyota Corp. This whole bit is outrageous. You've done more than i have regarding daily searches, and obviously this is not unique to these navig systems. Did you read what happened to me.....i merely had the original battery changed out wherein the nav sys went dark....all else works. If i find anything new out there i will be sure to let our little consortium know.
  • luluthi178luluthi178 Member Posts: 1
    hello! i know this is a long shot, but i was wondering if you ever found a way to get a navigation DVD for Greece? we had a 2007 totota 4runner shipped to greece but no one was able to help us search for a DVD. if you have any information about this, please get back to me. thanks!!

Soph
  • metro5metro5 Member Posts: 4
    In 1/2005 Toyota sent its dealers a tech bulletin (EL002-05) describing a defect in its 2004 Highlander, Prius and Land Cruiser models: "Some customers may experience various malfunctions occurring with the multi display". They state that a revised multi-display unit had been developed to resolve the problem and that a replacement unit would be installed IF the malfunction occurred within the 36K mile warranty period. When my 04 Highlander unit began to fail I contacted Toyota and they stated that yes, there was a potential problem with the system but that the repair would only be covered thru the warranty period. It's obvious Toyota hoped the faulty wiring would hold together through the warranty period and thus free them from responsibility. Toyota is reaping more profits from its error every time one of these units malfunctions - a new unit for the Highlander costs $5500. On http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd there is a dissection of a failed Prius multi-display unit. They then compare it with a disassembled working unit. They show clearly that part of the wiring was re-engineered in order to remedy the problem. If you're comfortable working with a computer circuit board, the website shows the repair procedure. I am looking into a replacement unit from oemvalue.com. Shame on Toyota for this cover-up. An alert to used car buyers: AVOID TOYOTA AND LEXUS 2004 MODELS WITH NAVIGATIONAL/MULT-FUNCTION DISPLAY UNIT!
    Check out my post #108 re Toyota cover-up of nav. display unit defect. Apparently, vibration and climate conditions put stress on soldered components in the circuit board. The Toyota "Consumer Experience" contact explained that the company is only liable for problems during the warranty period, even if a notice of malfunction was posted. They closed the case and I was not even able to talk to a zone rep. I was also told that a letter to the corp. from an attorney would be ignored. A class action suit is deserved here.
  • rd2maxrd2max Member Posts: 1
    allaccess, any luck in getting the unit rebuilt? Have you stumbled upon a replacement unit at a fair price? An assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    European DVD map disc will not work in US built navigation units.
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    "REAR OFF" prevents the rear seat entertainment from being operated.
  • jes10jes10 Member Posts: 1
    I have been told the Navigation ECU is bad on my 2003 Landcruiser. The dealer that is fixing it is out of town. They asked that I get them the part # from the current ECU so they can order a remanufactured part and order the correct piece. I know the navigation head is under the passenger seat but where exactly is the ECU and the part number on that ECU?
  • lc2006lc2006 Member Posts: 2
    One month ago a squirrel nested under the hood of my 2006 LC and chewed the wiring harness. I took the vehicle to my dealer from whom I have purchased 3 other Toyotas and they estimated the damage to over $4000, insurance picked up most except for deductible. Two weeks later I have my vehicle back and two days later I realize that my Nav system is no longer tracking my current position by at least 55 miles it seemed to have lost its compass. I took it back and said that I think the antenna must be disconnected when they were doing all the work behind the dash. They had the vehicle all day and called and said it was just a calibration problem hmmmm. Two days later same problem again they have the car and say that it needs a new antenna (surprise) to the tune of $552 for parts and another $150 to install. Now I am in a position of who shot John was this directly connected to the original problem and they should have included it in the estimate and the insurance company would have covered or did they cause the problem all I know is that the unit worked when I took it in for the initial repair and does not now.
    Does anyone know where I can get OEM parts for the Fujitsu unit other than Toyota? I have Googled with no luck also a good manual. Also shouldn't I be able to hook up an external receiver to the unit to see if it works as I do with my laptop navigation? If so is the receiver connected to the ECU or the indash unit? And last how do I remove the indash unit? In the mean time I intend to take this up with Toyota.

Thanks in advance.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I used to order many OEM parts from Grape wine toyota in texas. See if they can give you a discount.

On a side note, in general, if you are a person who keeps your car beyond the bumper to bumper warranty, it may make sense to skip the factory navigation. Two reasons, the maps go out of date in a couple of years and dealers charge crazy amounts for a map update.

Secondly, the newer units like in the Landcruiser also control other things like the heat/ac, radio etc. So, if the unit fails you are forced to fork out over $5000 for a replacement. It may seem a bit inconvenient, but for the number of times I use it, I would just rather have a portable unit in the car.

It may sound trivial, but the reason I went with another truck when I upgraded from my 2002 TLC was that I couldn't order the new TLC without the NAV package. Although they do say it is an option, you can't get one in without it. Basically it is *mandatory option*.
  • lc2006lc2006 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks you have reinforced my feelings about paying $550 plus labor for an antenna (receiver) when I can get a top of the line portable unit for much less. What it does do however is reduce my trade in value on an already depressed market for SUVs. My choices are fix it, drive it until the wheels fall off, or take my lumps when I trade. It just irks me that the unit worked fine until I took it in for the original problem and now it does not and they want to charge me. :mad:

Thanks again
  • 2005lc2005lc Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to allow the gps unit to be programed while moving? thanks, bob
    dEAR jes10. I'm so sorry i misplaced your e-mail until now. Yes, the unit is under the right pass seat. it is the whole unit and the disk goes into it. One can get the model #, S/N etc off of it. I feel like writing a class action suit against Toyota since there seems to be a lot of folks unhappy about these units going out and the replacement cost is outrageous. I merely replaced my car battery (had it done @ a battery shop) and it took out my system. Los Angeles regional center told me I must have switched the battery cables and shorted it out........wrong! My gripe is that no where in the car manual nor nav warranty manual does it give any kind of warning not to do anything to your car because it may take out various systems. And, of course, the local dealer said they would have been libel if i had come to them for battery replacement. Nonsense!

wm
  • abohassanabohassan Member Posts: 1
    I imported a new 2008 land cruiser from USA ( american specs.w/nav) :sick: to saudi arabia.The NAV system does not work ! what should I do OR get to make the NAV work?
  • tedro33tedro33 Member Posts: 1
    This Monday as I left for work in our 2002 Land Cruiser (only owner) my gps map display said, “Disc not detected”. I set the passenger seat full forward and removed the DVD protective shield and pressed the disc removal button. The disc ejected and was as new as the day it was installed. I reinserted the disc, but the same message came up after I touched “ I Agree”. Everything else works on the screen: audio,climate,radio,cd,etc. What next?
  • bburgguybburgguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 LC with aftermarket video monitors in the headrest. Is it possible to override the blackout system on the built in display screen and view dvds using the stock changer while your moving? If not, can you use the aftermarket screens with the installed dvd changer or will they go blank when the parking brake is disengaged as well? Thanks
  • bburgguybburgguy Member Posts: 2
    Everything works on my touch screen (audio, climate) except the navigation buttons. Any suggestions?
  • villegasvillegas Member Posts: 2
    My 06 LC has REAR OFF I want to use the RSE can somebody tell me how to remove the REAR OFF in the Navigation System. Thank you for your help.
  • landarchtlandarcht Member Posts: 9
    I just got a 2005 LC, but I'm waiting to get the new DVD, it didn't come with one, but for some reason the bluetooth doesn't work correctly, it connected the phone just fine and made the call, but neither me or the caller can hear each other....I tried all the settings....does this have to do w/ having no disc in the unit?
    The Calendar also won't work...related to not having a disc too?
    I'm in the process of getting a new disc.
    Please help.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    My wife's '03 naviagation system has had this problem for quite a while...you can calibrate location and direction and it will work fine for a day or two. Then it drifts off course and eventually it will show you 100's of miles away. Also, the direction won't be right either. Any thoughts on which part of the system is causing the problem? We have a Toyota extended warranty, but in '03 it did not cover the nav system, despite the closer's promises, of course.
  • bayaraaabayaraaa Member Posts: 1
    i have 04 TLC navigation display is not properly working. screen shows also audio and climate control is not operatible please help me what can i do. Dealer asking 5K!!!!!!!!!!
    Most likely it's just the display unit that needs to be replaced, not the entire nav. system (5K). My dealer was able to install a refurbished display in my 04 Highlander for much less. Toyota alerted dealers about a possible malfunction in the multi-display unit in a 2005 tech bulletin (EL002-05). I believe the culprit is with a faulty solder joint within the unit. 2004 Highlander, Prius, and Land Cruiser are affected. Although the company admitted that the unit was defective, they would not repair anything after the 3yr/36K warranty period. Toyota revised the unit in 2005 models.
  • gypgyp Member Posts: 2
    I haven't really checked if anybody else posted this info, but http://www.videoservicestop.com/ repaired our sudden, sad, No disk detected error on a 2001 Land Cruiser.for which we were forlornly quoted some several thousand dollars from the big guys to replace, and therefore lived without for a year, shooting off nasty emails to Japan here and there. Audio & Video Service Stop was able to perform whatever fix they did for about $400 with shipping. Man oh man was I happy to see my POIs again. I told them I wanted to let folks know about them, so here I have done so. Sorry it's probably a bit late for some, but sounds like these guys are well beefed up on all kinds of in car nav systems.
  • gypgyp Member Posts: 2
    I thought I should also add my experience trying to update map data on a burnt disc. Failures included a disc somehow burnt with including Joliet file system (which I noticed by viewing the disc in Isobuster) - the nav wouldn't read that disc. By then I was nervous about loading wrong Lexus 5.1 firmware, so I just copied my 2.1 disc, replaced all of the map files from the 7.1 disc, did NOT copy the other weird new files like the .bin or .vns files, and left my 2.1 loading.kwi alone. So I kind of had a 2.1 disc with 7.1 data. I made an .iso of the folder contents with ImgBurn, and changed out my burner for a NEC one that allowed bitsetting to DVD-ROM, and then burnt the iso to a Verbatim purple double layer. When I plunked this one in the nav, it did try hard to read it, but would not load POIs, or find a route, and the address buttons and all were grayed out, and also the zoom wasn't working, and it just generally looked all choked up and ruined. Depressed, I went in for the night, and, turning the car on again in the morning, strangely, it all was working just fine. So, I dunno. Guess the Toyota was tired too. Am still scared to try the 7.1 with the 5.1 23 mb loading.kwi. Not sure if the change would be reversible, since it seems I'm doing ok with my 2.1 loading.kwi, and of course have the override screen at UL LL UL LL LR. It sounds as though those using the 23 mb 5.1 loading.kwi said to be for Generation 2/3 might be for some other kind of in dash version or pure Lexus with bluetooth or some other features or what not. If anybody could clear that up, or the reversibility back to my 2.1 disc if 5.1 messes me up...
    thank you gyp for posting.
    Yep, i'm one of those Landcruiser owners that has a blacked out nav system as of Dec 07 when I put in a new car battery. The local dealer took a big swallow when they quoted some $5500 for a replacement........

Frankly, I am fed up with the attitude of Toyota. They basically told me I must have crossed the wires when I changed out the battery, adding that had I come to them for a new battery it wouldn't have happened-they have a device that safes all car systems. And, most consumers don't know this. I ask who goes to a dealer to put in a new battery? I'm sure they've had several customers that have had this happen to them and I think it's unethical that their manuals that came with the car don't warn owners not to touch their batteries or else it could "take out" a computer sensor, or the nav system etc. I was actually thinking of a class action suit.

W. Marsh
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    Any known source other than the dealer for an '09 disc update for a 2003 LC...$265 if purchased through Toyota? Thanks!
  • salehibysalehiby Member Posts: 2
    I have 2009 L.C. without navigation system , my question is is it possible to install the orginal navigation - DVD system to my car and HOW ??
  • salehibysalehiby Member Posts: 2
    I have 2009 Land Cruiser without navigation system , my question is is it possible to install the original navigation - DVD system to my car and HOW ??
    I'm sure it's possible and costly...the built-in is nice (I have it in my '03 LC and it needs an update--still looking for a non- dealer source) but consider a garmin as it is portable and reliable. The 700 series nuvi from amazon is a bargain. It could run into the few thousand for a retro-fit from the devil, er I mean dealer.
  • mvargomvargo Member Posts: 2
    Do you think there are any weird functions that I don't know about for the nav, toyota landcruiser 2004. suddenly a few days back no voice for nav. The menu has a setting for no voice but it's set to ON, like speak. I even tried factory presets. She is just not talking. Nav is working just fine, just silently.
    Other than the manual, you may want to check that the steering wheel 'tab' for voice activation has not locked or become stuck in an off or silent mode/position
    ps have you purchased an 'update' for your system? I believe an '09 dvd is available...I am looking for a disc from another source (other than the dealer) for my '03
  • mvargomvargo Member Posts: 2
    i think the dealer said they did an update to 4.2 a while back, it messed up my street always telling me to make a left turn in to the woods....so I have never thought of updating it, nothing has changed in this area too badly.
    I can get the thing to follow voice commands though. this no voice is probably something REALLY easy to fix, i'm just blind to it....
  • dwj_42dwj_42 Member Posts: 3
    I want to share information regarding repair to my 2002 Landcruiser nav system. Dealer informed me that ECU (Electrical Control Unit - fancy word for DVD player) was shot and would need to be replaced to fix nav system. Quoted me $5500!.......After searching the internet for alternate solutions, I found a forum where a repair shop was listed that could repair the ECU. The website is www.videoservicestop.com. They repaired my ECU for approx. $400. Works great! Toyota should be ashamed..........Here's how to remove the ECU: Unit is located under the passenger seat. Slide the seat forward as far as possible. Remove screws that hold down dust cover and remove dust cover. Remove screws that connect ECU bracket to floor - this will require moving the seat back to unscrew the forward screws. Also unscrew the ground wire nut. The carpet edge in front of the seat may obscure the screws and will need to be peeled back a little. Once loose from the floor, slide ECU w/bracket toward the back of the seat. Disconnect electrical wires - (plug into back of ECU). ECU and bracket should now come free completely. Remove screws holding bracket to ECU. ECU contains the map DVD. I shipped the ECU and map disk to Video Service Stop. They returned it in about 10 days. I hope this helps someone else save $5000!!!!! Good Luck.
  • radicasterradicaster Member Posts: 3
    Thanks - I was an early (maybe 1st) contributor to this blog about 3 years ago. Have a 2004 bought new and NAV failed at 52K miles - no warranty service from Toyota. Wes Wood Suwanee, GA
    Thanks so much MR. DWJ_42..this is indeed awesome news and I'm so very grateful to you and this forum....if this works (and i have no doubt it's worth the try!) this is the answer many of us have been seeking--still think Toyota Corp needs a class action suit filed against it for the crap they give their clients which is a $5500 estimate, what utter nonsense! They are shameful, yes!
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Let us know how you make out with the repair of your nav. Good luck.
  • dwj_42dwj_42 Member Posts: 3
    You are very welcome.......I hope you have the same success that I did.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I have a 02 TLC with the same problem no disc. I got the same quote 5k. I will check in to this. Thanks for the information.
  • gertie51gertie51 Member Posts: 1
    Have just brought a Sahara with this system but there is no instruction booklet--does anyone know where i can get one or if i can download one on the net anywhere
  • dwightadwighta Member Posts: 1
    I have a TLC 2006 with about 60k miles, and the navigation is intergrated in with the climate controls. The navigation system loses where I am all the time - it started off just once in a while - but now it is about 50% of the time the map thinks we are hundreds of miles from where we really are - is this the similar experience you had - and if so sending the ECU unit from under the seat seemed to work?
  • mdsdmdsd Member Posts: 26
    you have to make sure to pick the right zip code and city so that the nav can really know where you are at the time.....
  • dtgdtgdtgdtg Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my '04 Land Cruiser. Any idea how to remove REAR OFF? Thanks
  • harry46harry46 Member Posts: 2
    SYMBOLS What is the square crossed symbol that appears opposite some motorway junctions please. Also is it possible to get a list/picture of symbols that are not listed in the manual.Thanks
  • harry46harry46 Member Posts: 2
    May be able to help if you tell me when and where the REAR OFF appears
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    I haven't used this product, so I can' t comment on the quality or durability of it. I just ordered this Nav screen protective film, as the surface coating on my screen is wearing off, so I'd like to preserve what's left of it.

Will post a review once i get it. Thought others may be interested too?

http://www.strongengineering.com/onescreenprotectorfits8displayautonavigationsyt- emfortoyotalandcruiser.aspx
  • edy3edy3 Member Posts: 1
    hello my name is Edy i have a 2004 landcruiser and its giving me the same problem that you had let me now what you did my email is yrmuebles@hotmail.com thanks. the external system is not connected let me now what to do.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • emma99emma99 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my land cruiser . I had the battery changed then al of a sudden the navigation system and everything attached to it went out. All I get is external system not connected. I am trying to find out if anyone knows how this can be fixed without having to pay 6000 for a new unit.
  • 05landcruiser05landcruiser Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 05 LC with an outdated NAV system. My wife has a 07 Lexus RX 350 with a newer updated navigation system. Could I take her disk and insert it into the LC to update mine, or would that mess up my system?