Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Nissan Altima

Comments

• redemption760redemption760 Member Posts: 1
    ok my boyfreind just bought a new 07 altima and it is already making a funny noise when it starts up on cold days and his keys are constantly not working. When we contacted the dealership they said that the reason his keys failed was becasue he put his cell phone next to his keys and it erased the keys memory? Has anyone heard of that cause it just sounded really dumb and slightly unrealistic to me? Please get back to me! THanks
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    its a known problem now. But I don't think it erases the memory, it damages the electronics in the key. It not unrealistic. cell phones (gsm at least)create an electromagnetic field around them when they transmit or receive anything. electomagnetic fields don't go well with electronics. And as I mentioned before, rumor is that nissan will be replacing the fob's free of charge as soon as they've solved the problem and have enough replacements to do so.

thats IF what I'm reading in other places is accurate. but I've read comments from a few people who have said they've recieved a letter from nissan stating that.
  • dannyrdannyr Member Posts: 12
    Didn't any idiot at Nissan think that this keyless remote is a dumb idea to not properly shield it from cell phones from the get go. By putting a warning in the manual they obviously thought it was a minor problem which is ludicrous. Now they have to go to the trouble of replacing them all because now it dawns on them that it's very inconvenient to expect drivers to consciuosly keep their remote and phones separated. Everytime you use your phone you have to worry about which pocket you put it back in. Well at least you know you'll have your phone with you when you have to call a tow truck.

Even with replacements does it really guarantee that any newer cell phones you use won't affect it, cell phone technology changes all the time. Utter brain cramp on Nissan's part, they are getting too cute for thier own good if they really think consumers are that lazy and want to avoid turning a key to start thier cars.

So besides worrying about your cell phones, you also have to worry about getting the remote wet (guess that means no more coffee in the car just in case I spill it over my pocket with the remote.) Or god forbid it's in my hand during a rain storm. Not to mention what happens when your FOB battery dies? Does that mean you're stranded, and with Murphy's law, probably in the worst place imaginable. My past car FOB batteries usually last 2 years at most.

I was looking at the Altima sedan or coupe this summer but the one thing that may prevent me buying is this stupid push button starting. Maybe I'm petty but I'm sure others will feel this way and this may end costing Nissan sales in the long run. They have the CVT, there's no need to add stupid gimmicks to separate them from the competition. Dumb,dumb. dumb.
  • vikariousvikarious Member Posts: 15
    I keep my keys in my purse with my cell phone and have have no problems at all. I've had my car since November. knock on wood.

And to the last poster, if your FOB battery dies there's a key for the door inside of it, and then the whole FOB plugs into the dash.

I've been really happy with the car so far.
  • redjackalredjackal Member Posts: 8
    My experience with my cell phone damaging my keys only seems to effect it's buttons and not my ability to unlock the doors or start the car (don't even have to use the fob socket). So I thank god I don't have to call a tow truck. Is the type of damage to the keys universal or is it the case that some owners can't even start the car?
  • starhuskerstarhusker Member Posts: 26
    so you can use the physical key to open the door if the smart key doesn't work, right? Can you use the physical key to start the car if the push button doesn't work? Thanks.
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    Yes, it goes into a receptacle on the left of the steering column just under the dash. I do like the car very much, but I think they were answering a question that hadn't been asked in regards to the push-button starter...
    keep my keys in my purse with my cell phone and have have no problems at all. I've had my car since November. knock on wood.

i just recieved my letter from nissan today about it. as i speculated, it only involves some phones. Also, the phone has to be recieving or making a call to cause a problem. also, the letter said nissan has a new key that will prevent that from happening, and will be sending them out early fall 2007
    Didn't any idiot at Nissan think that this keyless remote is a dumb idea to not properly shield it from cell phones from the get go.

you don't seem to know what your taking about. It can't be completely shielded, it needs to be able to send and recieve signals to/from the car. and its only cell phones that use a gsm (mostly cingular) that affect it.

Even with replacements does it really guarantee that any newer cell phones you use won't affect it, cell phone technology changes all the time.

there are no guaranteies in life.

was looking at the Altima sedan or coupe this summer but the one thing that may prevent me buying is this stupid push button starting. Maybe I'm petty but I'm sure others will feel this way and this may end costing Nissan sales in the long run. They have the CVT, there's no need to add stupid gimmicks to separate them from the competition. Dumb,dumb. dumb.

You probably shouldn't buy an altima. when looking at new tecnology, there is always a chance for problems. its new, and hasn't been extensively used. You don't sound like you have the stomac for the possible problems than can turn up. consider a honda or toyota.

Nissan will get by without your altima purchase, somehow.
  • bill_dingbill_ding Member Posts: 6
    It's simple really. Left pocket: phone. Pull it out and talk, put back in left pocket when done. Right pocket: keys. Leave them there to operate car. Do not remove unless unlocking a wooden door.

Cell phone technology changes all the time? Maybe feature wise, but the methods of transmission has generally stayed the same. It's been radio frequencies for as long as I can remember. So unless cell phones magically change overnight to the EMP standard, you really don't have too much to worry about. Car technology changes all the time too, but the same gas will drive an 85 Blazer or an 07 Altima.

The push button start is actually a great addition. I thought it was a little gimmicky too, but use it for a couple days and you will like it. You don't realize how convenient it is to open the door and start a car without touching a key. Hands full? Reach for the door or trunk. Killer chasing you? Reach for the door and press a button to start the car. Flip 'em the bird while driving off; someone with keys would already be dead.

If you're worried that a couple of drops of water are going to destroy 'your' fob, stick it in a plastic bag (it will be ok either way). The only time I'd be worried about ruining it from moisture is when it's in my hand while running in the middle of a flash flood, slipping on a rogue banana peel, then falling fist first into a pond. It would seriously take that much effort, aside from washing it. The key will always always always be in your pocket/purse. Always. Trust me.

And if you spill enough coffee to damage a pocketed fob, you have more problems than a damaged fob: First, you shouldn't be driving with that type of slow reaction time and coordination. Second, you need to trade the coffee bucket in for a spill-proof coffee mug. And third, well you'd probably need medical attention since I'm assuming all that coffee you spilled on yourself was pretty hot.

Don't worry about dead fob batteries either: those Nissan rocket-surgeons have implemented an industry term called a "back up plan." There's a key inside the fob, and a port next to the steering wheel that accepts the fob.
    Killer chasing you? Reach for the door and press a button to start the car. Flip 'em the bird while driving off; someone with keys would already be dead.

This was really why I went with the Altima. I thought "I really need a car that will get me away from killers, and fast." Being able to give them the finger while driving away was just a bonus!

I love my push start. Sure, it seems gimmicky, but its still awesome. I always feel like I'm starting up a smokin' hot rocket or something. And I tend to lose my keys, so never having to take them out of my purse is SO fabulous.
  • dannyrdannyr Member Posts: 12
    Well I didn't realize that there's a key inside the FOB so that addresses that concern but I'm not buying your cell phone argument because Nissan itself has stated that only "some model" cell phones affect it. That tells me it's got something to do with other than simple radio waves or all phones would affect it and it also ensures that it doesn't guarantee future protection.

As for remembering what pocket to put keys and cell phones. I don't know about you but wear I live we have something called summer for 3 months a year where I don't where a jacket most times so I'm putting phones, wallets and keys in my shorts and if you're talking on your phone it's a little much to have to think every time you talk on the phone "OK now put phone if left shorts pocket" after hanging up. If you have kids then you know what it means to be distracted a gazillion times a day so forgive me if I'm not paying attention and put my cell phone back in the "big no-no" pocket and god forbid if someone calls me while it's rubbing against my FOB.(there's a joke in there somewhere) My wife is distracted at the best of times and to expect her to keep her phone and keys separated in her purse ain't gonna happen anytime soon and I'm sure she's not in the minority.

If I pay 30K for a car I shouldn't have to worry about where I put my phone. Defend it all you want but plain and simple no one should have to worry about it. In a year's time Nissan won't be so nice about replacing your zapped keys and will start charging for it.

If Nissan can make CVT's and these push button starters then it's kind of silly that they didn't bother ensuring that their FOBs work properly in all circumstances so until they do it's a silly gimmick.
    Nissan itself has stated that only "some model" cell phones affect it.

I will try to make this as simple as I can:
    All cell phone use 1 of 2 types of signals. GSM and CDMA. the GSM type is what cause the problem. that type of signal is used by cingular and T-Mobil. the rest use CDMA

In a year's time Nissan won't be so nice about replacing your zapped keys and will start charging for it.

Nissan has already made a new fob that will not be affected by either signal. the issue for future buyers will not exist, and current owners will have their fob's replaced in about 3 months.

To reiterate what I said before, you don't appear to know what your talking about, and if your that dead set against "gimmicky" cvt's and key fobs, go buy something else. nobody here (that I've read) is trying to talk you into buying an altima.
    Even before I had this car, I always had my phone in my left pants/shorts pocket and my keys in the right. Spring, summer, fall, or winter. Summer feels like it lasts 6 months here. But I suppose I may be a little anal, as I like things to have a home. I think I started doing that so I'd have evenly weighted pockets. Sounds weird, but if you have a loose set of pants on, it (uneven pocket weight) amplifies the experience. Now it's more of a force of habit than making myself struggle to remember which pocket should the keys go in, phone, gum, chapstick, wallet, etc... I am getting old, but not there yet.

Re: "some model" phones... just remember, some phones can be provider specific. The iPhone is only with Cingular (atm), the Blackjack & Chocolate are only with Verizon, etc. It has been said that Cingular and T-Mobile phones are the culprits. They both use the same GSM transmission protocol (3G 850/1900 for Cingular & 3G 1900 for T-Moblie), so there you go. If I had to guess, I'd say the phones operating on the 3G 1900 frequency range are the ones causing problems. But that's just my theory.

I'm not saying their isn't a problem with the fobs; in fact, I am worried about the hack-ability of these fobs. So if you want a reason not to purchase a Nissan, use that one.

So I suppose a cell phone is a silly gimmick since they don't work in tunnels or 100ft underground... Or on the moon covered in chocolate pudding.
    I am worried about the hack-ability of these fobs. So if you want a reason not to purchase a Nissan, use that one.

I wouldn't worry about that. just wait till you get your replacement fob and have to take the car back to the dealership to get re programmed. You'll find out how difficult it is to get a blank fob to work on your car :shades:

expect the dealership to need 2-6 hours to do it.
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    They have the CVT, there's no need to add stupid gimmicks to separate them from the competition. Dumb,dumb. dumb.

"You probably shouldn't buy an altima. when looking at new tecnology, there is always a chance for problems. its new, and hasn't been extensively used."

Actually, the CVT has been used with the 3.5 on the Murano since it came out several years ago. That's a heavier platform than the Altima, so I'd think it's had plenty of field testing...
  • mm99mm99 Member Posts: 25
    It's official: 19.5 gallons (and a mile of walking to a gas station) needed to fill the tank after you've been stupid enough to run the car to a halt. This means the "zero miles to empty" warning shows when there is still about 2 gallons available.
  • rps1rps1 Member Posts: 13
    I can't believe how you people are moaning about cell phones and key fobs when this vehicle is so technologically advanced. Why don't you have your cell phones attached to your ear and keep the fob in your pocket? That works.
    Ooops, I actually meant the system... But yeah, getting a blank fob and trying to hack into a car should be very hard. My fears are of 2 dudes in a van with a handful of laptops. Of course, it's probably easier to steal my neighbors Camry. ;)
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    Dannyr come on down and buy the Nissan Altima :P You sound like you would be very happy in it! :shades:

If your not buying a Nissan Altima because of Intelligent Key, you also might want to take BMW, Lexus, and Infinty off your list. Those are the first cars that come to mind when talking about intelligent keys.

If you are in the market I have a 2001 Checy Impala with low miles if your interested :shades: :shades:
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    Did I get your attention. I wouldn't worry so much about people stealing your Altima with a intelligent key thats been duplicated. Like it has been said before it can take 1-6 hours depending who is doing it. ALso you can only have it done with a computer from a nissan store. If someone is that much of a hack I believe they would be embezziling money out of a bank. It's much easier to steal a regular ingnition car car with a screw driver than it is with I-Key on Altima...

Besides if your that concerned you should have Lo Jack or Guide Point. But there is something else.... Oh yeah INSURANCE.....
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I have a 07 Versa (yeah I know wrong group) but I've had my car for almost a year, and never have I had a problem with the FOB working. I have had problems if the FOB is behind my cellphone (Treo Smartphone) that it can not transmit the code to the car, but if I move the FOB from behind the phone, there is no problems...

Also, the person complainting about the Intellikey, I love it, I dont have to handle my keys anymore to get in or start the car, its a gret safetly feature that should be standard in all cars...

Tony
  • porlockporlock Member Posts: 1
    JD: Not doubting your word at all--that is a relief to me... but how do we know that GSM is the type phone that causes the problem? where is that documented? got a link? thks.
    JD: Not doubting your word at all--that is a relief to me... but how do we know that GSM is the type phone that causes the problem? where is that documented? got a link? thks.

I don't think anybody knows for certain, Nissan isn't releasing the details, but I got my info from another message board dedicated to nissan vehicles (separate forums for different models and years). The people on it seem to know everything about nissan products. Being as they were right about every other aspect of the Ikey problem, I'm assuming they're right about GSM being the culprit. To give you an idea, they were discussing the Ikey problem about a month and a half ago. Long before anybody else had any idea. And, it does explain a great many things. The only real difference between any cell phone is the type of signal it uses. If you want the link, its

link title

A lot of good info, and knowledgeable people. you can find everything from what car wax is best, to how to put your car into diagnostic mode, and what all the hundreds of codes mean.
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    I'm considering a 2.5 Altima with manual transmission later this year and I'm curious if anybody can share the real-life gas mileage experience? I usually tend to get better mileage than the sticker advertises, but one reason I'm considering trading in my Rodeo is not to go broke with $3.50+/gal.

Also, how is 2.5 performs? Altima is pretty heavy car and I'm just wondering if 4cyl will be adequate for it. I live in CO, so mountains and high elevation makes a difference on performance.

Thanks!
    I have a 2.5 Automatic and I average about 28MPG - but I do mostly city driving. (I'd say 80%?)

This past weekend I drove an hour to my cabin on the freeway, going 70-ish and got 34.5MPG. This tank I'm averaging 30MPG city/hiway.

In the winter when I first got it, I was getting 24 with like 90% city driving.

I think the 2.5's got plenty of power, but I live in MN so hills aren't even an issue, much less mountains.
    Thanks! I think Manual will get a little better mileage than automatic. But even 28MPG in the city is not bad at all, especially for a car that is somewhere between mid size and full size.
    Anybody know what the difference (if any) between 2006 and 2007 2.5 Altima (manual transmission)? They changed the body a little, but I can't figure out if anything else is changed mechanically.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The MT is now a 6 speed and gas mileage went up.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Anybody know what the difference (if any) between 2006 and 2007 2.5 Altima (manual transmission)? They changed the body a little, but I can't figure out if anything else is changed mechanically.

The 2007 Altima is a complete redesign, not just a facelift. I imagine the vehicles behave quite differently from 06 to 07.
  • carnut21carnut21 Member Posts: 38
    The 06 was a nice car but the 07 is much better. Nissan keeps building quality and value into their cars. The cabin is quiter and the engine is more efficient than its predessor. The CVT is nice (i have a 07 Murano) but also have a 6speed 05 Frontier. Both of these vehicles have been problem free and suspect the Altima would be the same. The V6 in the Altima is really nice.
  • drewsolodrewsolo Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my '07 altima about a week ago. I got the S model but with out navigation. I'm thinking about putting in Sirius..( i have an account from my last car ).. Does any one kno if the the stereo supports satellite? i kno i have to run a line in from an Antenna but I'm not sure if the radio can support it.....

..Drew
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I have the brochure in my office and it does not come standard. It needs to be part of the connection package which starts with the Bose system. I think if you have that upgrade package your good to go. The standard system is not compatible with satellite radio. Enjoy your new car!
    I picked up my '07 3.5Sl on 6/8 and the drive home was fantastic. I traded my '05 3.5Sl which I loved, but what a difference in the ride, comfort and richness of the interior. The CVT was smooth and responsive, and the Boze is amazing. The exterior in winter frost is beautiful and rich looking, along with the style of the car. The gauges are well placed and the itelligent key is a blast along with the push button start. The only complaint which is no big deal is I don't care for the foot parking brake. Gas mileage seems pretty good about the same as the '05. Great job Nissan.
  • richman64richman64 Member Posts: 15
    I'm trying to determine which color Altima to get. I have a silver Grand Prix right now and love how easy it is to keep it clean looking. I keep it garage kept most of the time, so if it doesn't rain, I can go several weeks without the dust showing too much.

For those who have the dark smoky gray Slate color, how easy is it to keep it clean looking? I used to own a black car and it was somewhat difficult to keep clean looking, but I'm wondering how the Slate color compares to black as far as ease of maintenance.
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    Nothing is worse that black. Period. Or even as bad, for hat matter. Other dark colours will definitely show up dirt and especially dust more quickly than your silver, but not as bad as black. I got the silver for the very reasons you mentioned - looks good for a loooong time between washes.

The tough thing about colour choice on the Altima is that it looks good in every colour. No regrets over my choice, though.
  • b777girlb777girl Member Posts: 7
    I sold a black car and bought the Altima in Dark Slate. It does hide dirt a bit better than black, but if you care that much about how clean it looks, just buy that Pebble Beach color.
  • nathan0553nathan0553 Member Posts: 3
    what are they selling 36 month lease om in nevada
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    I have the 3.5SE in Dark Slate with spoiler. It is rich and classy looking. I also darkened the windows which really adds a lot to the character of the car. Also I was given a car duster to wipe it clean when it just has dust and not dirt. In about 1 minute it looks great again!!! Enjoy the new ride.
    thanks for reply but i need monthly lease price i have a white se that is going off lease good luck
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try posting your question here: Altima Lease Questions. But be sure to give all the details of your car, where you're located, etc. Good luck!
    i am in las vegas this is basic model 3.5 36 month lease the only option is floor mats wes quoted 371 for 36 months nothing down thank you
  • cidxiecidxie Member Posts: 7
    I heard that 2008 altima would be on market around late Sept. or early Oct. So, do you think the price of 2007 altima will come down alot at that time? Anybody knows if 06 altima lower down its price when 07 version comes out? Thx!!
    I wouldn't expect the price on the 2007's to drop much, if at all untill after jan. yea, the 06 did drop when the 07 came out, but thats because the car was redesigned for the 2007 model year, and was much improved over 2006. If they hadn't dropped the price on the 06, nobody would have bought one over a 2007, especially considering the price only went up 200 dollars or so. But the 08 will be exactly the same as the 07, with the possible excption of being offered in more colors.
    The only color that I liked at all was the Winter Frost which I have for over a month, and I find that it doesn't show the dirt and is very easy to keep clean. It also looks sporty and rich, and I don't see myself coming and going.It seems that everybody has silver,shades of grey and champagne. I am very happy with the Winter Frost w/charcoal leather interior.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    New for 2008

Standard ABS on 2.5 models
    Standard splash guards
    Available XM satellite Radio
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I want to research the 2007 Altima but I can't seem to get onto www.nissanusa.com. I didn't know if it was just me or if other people were having the same problem.
    I don't have any problem, thats using IE 7, and a broadband connection. there's a lot of flash content and stuff there, takes me awhile to load it. If your on dial up, that would probably be the problem.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    Well, I downloaded and tried IE7 and Firefox but still could not access NissanUSA.com. I have DSL so I don't think speed is the issue but it does seem it is timing out on me. What comes up is "this page cannot be displayed". Very strange. I can access pretty much any other car site and I can get on many Nissan dealership sites but the NIssan corporate site is eluding me.
    they could just be updating it or something