Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• gofrank150gofrank150 Member Posts: 6
    you gotta have it - for resell if nothing else. just sold my 98 myself and every remotely interested buyer wanted 1. 3rd sear, 2. rear air..all else was secondary, but it had to have these 2 to have them even come look.
  • bookerleebookerlee Member Posts: 1
    I recently got rid of my 99 dodge durango due to the Florida lemon law, however, I felt Chrysler was very cooperative and gave me no problems whatsoever, Yet, I recently heard that they will no longer be manufacturing Durango's any longer, does anyone know if this is true?
  • dthdth_2000dthdth_2000 Member Posts: 1
    ...glad I read up on .... I'm coming out of a Land Rover and can't go through this BS again. Good luck w/ all that
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    Someone mentioned the discontinuation of the Durango. It is not true. The next generation Durango is due summer 2003.
  • brillo3brillo3 Member Posts: 2
    Am getting prices for 2001 D SLT plus for around $400 over invoice. Anyone with any feedback
    regarding this is good, average, or can it be better? Any recent buyers input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Been seeing ads around the Milwaukee Area for 0% financing and up to $3000 rebates
  • brillo3brillo3 Member Posts: 2
    I am in Colorado. Incentives quoted here are 1.9% or $2000 rebate.
  • billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    Until 6 month ago, I have added another Hyundai's Santa Fe (look a little bit like Durango, for its strong in & out style). The SaFe (Santa Fe short name) just ranked the top safest new 2001 compact SUV in the front 60km crashtest tested by the IIHS.
    The SaFe also ranked the most satisfaction SUV recently in.....

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/04-30-2001/0001481544

So if u are worry about the gas milages if you don't haul & often go for long trips then u can consider also added this America best value SUV(only cost me less than CDN$29k to get a fully loaded).... just like me ... using it for my delivery job. I get more stares & glances than my Durango. I will keep both SUV in my Garage until ......something really can convince me to sell this 2 beasts!

-Bill
  • qdkimqdkim Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 2001, 4x4, 4.7L Durango, have test driven a few in Colorado and noticed wind noise in one of them the rest were fine. I like the looks, ride and engine power but to be honest looking at all the messages here scares me. can someone give me an honest advice on whether to buy it or not?
    Also the price for the same optionals varies largely among the Denver dealers, does someone know of a good dealership in Denver?
    We are on our 2nd D, 1st one was a 98, now we have a 01, my wife drives this as a daily driver and it's been great so far. We have the 4.7 with 3.55 Limited Slip rear end, in town averaging right around 16, on the highway been as high as 20, but averaging 18, 19. We bought the extended warranty offered by the dealer, mainly because of all the electronics in todays vehicles. Ours is a SLT Plus, loaded out. Every vehicle will have problems and there's always the chance to get a lemon. But you gotta understand, people come to this board to mainly complain about their vehicles. The most important factor is to find a dealer that will help you with any problem that arises with your purchase for as long as you own it. To find a dealer that stands behind their product, is like finding a needle in a haystack. Look thru the boards, the number 1 complaint is the dealer. To really find out about Durangos, take look at this site

http://www.durangoclub.com Good luck on whatever you decide on.
    Thanks a lot, I visited the web site and found some interesting stuff. I am sure even new cars can have problems specially manufacturing defects. I have recently moved from Europe and have owned/driven a number of makes and models, mostly japanese and european. I would really like to buy an american car now that i am here. As Regards dealerships i have had a wide variation in price quotes for the same make and model which makes me nervous, i will go with the lowest offcourse but hope it doesn't mean a compromise on service.
    You might want to go to Kellys Blue Book print off the retail & invoice prices of the Durango, so you know if the dealer is in the ball park. Try an online quote dealer, they usually give a good deal, then get a copy of the quote and see if a dealer close to you will beat or match it.
    I hear the rebates have been extended to July for the Dakota, so I expect the Durango is the same. Good Luck on your purchase.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm strongly considering a 2001 SLT and am interested in AWD and 4 wheel ABS. Does anyone have an opinion about the relative benefit of AWD vs. 4X4 with the Durango?

Specifically, how does the Durango AWD compare to "on-demand" systems offered by Subaru, the Acura MDX, and GM vehicles with Versatrak (Aztek and Rendezvous)?

Also, how reliable has the Durango AWD transaxle proven to be?
  • gz927gz927 Member Posts: 1
    Durango does not come with AWD. What they have as an option is full time 4 wheel drive.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dodge adding Durango gas-electric hybrid in 2003

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sr_bodysr_body Member Posts: 23
    Daimler Chrysler labeled it AWD for simplicity. DC's market research concluded that everyone knows what AWD drive is, but still equate the term "4 wheel drive" with being for off-road use only.

--FEDLAWMAN--
    The Durango's drivetrain system is a full-time 4-wheel drive system because it meets these 3 criteria:

3 differentials
    lo-range
    The 3 diffs are "open" to allow for turning on dry pavement.

All 4 of the Durango's wheels are always being driven by the engine(hence the term "full-time"), as opposed to the "On Demand" type where only 2 wheels are being driven 99.9% of the time and only engage the other wheels when slippage is detected.

It's 4WD system is far superior to the "on-demand" systems because it also has the ability to lock all 4 wheels together and spin all of them at the same rate for maximum traction on low traction conditions
    Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between the Durango and a couple "crossover" vehicles with on-demand systems.

Do you think MPG and reliability (wear and tear)suffer because all four wheels are being driven all the time? How does the full-time system handle turns on dry pavement?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Q1:
    There was a discussion on the Durangoclub forum on whether there was an MPG difference between 2WD & FT4WD. I just so happen to have an older Durango with both 2WD & full-time 4WD. I was also curious, so I experimented by spending 6 weeks driving in 2WD & another 6 weeks driving in FT4WD. There was no difference in MPG between the two modes because the same amount of mechanical hardware is moving whether the truck is in 2WD or FT4WD mode. However, there is a noticable power loss (21HP-verified on a DynoJet 4 wheel chassis dyno) when the truck is in FT4WD mode. I keep it in FT4WD so I don't have to worry about traction when it rains. The Durango is notorious for swinging the rear end out when making turns on wet pavement in 2WD mode.

The on-demand type drivetrains get better gas mileage because not all the mechanical hardware is being turned by the engine all the time. They only turn as needed. Just look at the published MPG differences between the AWD & FT4WD Explorers. The AWD Explorers get better gas mileage than thier FT4WD counterparts (assuming of course, that everything else is equal).

Q2:
    In normal 4WD-HI/LO mode, the transfer case locks the axles together to spin all 4 wheels at the same rate. In FT4WD mode, the transfer case still delivers power to all 4 wheels, but doesn't lock the axles together to allow the wheels to turn on dry pavement.

IMHO, if you aren't going to do any moderate to heavy off-roading or towing, and mostly want the traction for bad weather driving, the on-demand type systems are your best bet. I used to think my Durango was the king of the streets in bad weather until I drove an AWD Forester in a heavy downpour. WOW! The Forester cut through the rainsoaked pavement as if it were dry. I would normally have to slow down or stop the Durango in the same weather conditions. But let's see the Forester tow my 7000lb. boat... :)
    Thanks for your very informative response. Just as you remarked, I am looking for an all weather vehicle for the rain and snow of the Pacific Northwest...I don't intend to tow or travel very far off the beaten path.

I am tempted by the Durango because it is in my price range, my wife and I love the truck, and there are great incentives available right now.

However, after reflecting on your comments, I don't think it is a good match for us because it is overkill for our lifestyle. The increased operating cost (fuel and maintenance) of the Durango plus the capabilities I don't need make the "on-demand AWD" equipped vehicles a better choice for us. Thanks again for your help!
    Glad to help. Hate to see someone spend more money than they need to. Good luck on your next purchase! =)
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    "...it is overkill for our lifestyle". Wow - I wish more people thought this way. There would probably be about 75% less monster SUVs on the road, and about 50% less overpriced "look at me" sedans.

I have a friend who is going to buy an Acura MDX. He doesn't need any of the "gizmos" or upgrades, and would do just fine with a more moderately priced wagon or SUV, but is willing to pay whatever the dealer is asking to get one now. Very sad.
    I am always amazed at the proliferation of "monster SUV's" I see when I visit Southern California. I think that many (not all) of these $40,000 machines are mere image enhancers that serve no real utility to their owners. These poseurs spend all their income on a $500K condo, car payments, wardrobe, vacations, and nightlife. What will they do in 20 years when they can't work and realize they don't have a 401K, IRA, or college funds for the kids?

By the way, my wife and I looked at the Mercedes ML320 but we didn't like the Mickey Mouse 3rd row seating or the near $40,000 price tag. The Acura MDX was also a consideration, until we went to two different dealerships and were treated like crap by both. Also, both Acura dealers expected $2000 over MSRP ($36,500) on a vehicle with an invoice of $31,000.

We finally put a deposit down on a Buick Rendezvous CXL (factory order). For $28,106, we got:

All Wheel Drive
    4 wheel ABS disc brakes
    7 passenger leather seating
    Driver and passenger side airbags
    Power driver and passenger seats
    Rear sonar parking
    Moonroof
    Programmable remote keyless entry
    Alarm system
    Dual zone electronic climate control
    Body colour, heated power mirrors
    Rear seat audio
    16" alloys
    Overhead console with homelink
    Driver info center with temp, compass, tire pressure, fuel economy
    OnStar (1 year free)
    AM/FM, CD, Cassette, 8 speaker stereo
    Fog lights
    Auto dimming rear-view mirrow

IMO, the only down side is an adequate but modest 3.4L V6 that won't win any stoplight drag races. Otherwise, I think it's the perfect choice for our family and a lot of car for the money.
    I have been visiting this site regularly and am pretty certain of buying a Durango. My budget allows me to go for a 2WD, SLT with Over Head convenience group, wheel base group, 3rd row seats,4 wheel AS and Dual A/I heater. I am being quoted a price of $28,734 (colorado) which I believe is $200 over invoice (unless someone disagrees).
    I do have a problem which is the Wind Noise' from front of the car, it's being discussed a lot in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. My question is "does it get any worse with usage? or does it stay the same?" and is there any easy fix for this?
    The dealers turn a blind eye to the wind noise and pretend there is none?
    you should be able to get a 4wd, heck even though mine was a demo with 4900 miles on it (Y2K01) SLT PLus loaded with 4wd, I paid 29900 for it. With the rebates and low financing a 2wd should be in low 20's or high teens. Go get an online quote, then take this to a dealer close to you,see if they will match. Good Luck.
  • livy1livy1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 Durango. Quite frequently when I start driving it, the engine roars very loudly and doesn't shift right. I happens when I stop and then start out again. Has anyone else had this problem? It's quite loud and embarassing. I also have concerns over the safety ratings for this year of Durango. This is our primary family vehicle and I have 3 small children. Don't want to be riding around in something that is not very crash worthy. Anyone else with this concern or heard about its crash worthiness? Any insight would be appreciated.
    I have shopped on-line and priced the vehicle with options over invoice on this site as well. I am getting over 31K for new SLT+ with leather etc. I am now trying to find a used 2001, test drove one today but it had the wind noise (wind turbulance as some like to call it). Have you or anyone else had a problem with noise from the wind shield at high speeds?
    The engine roar you hear is the fan. This is completely normal, and occurs typically at start-up and when idling in higher temps. If it really bothers you, an electric fan can be installed, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Why do you have concerns over safety? The IIHS rates the Durango as acceptable, and insurance premiums reflect that:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99013.htm

Look, if a semi broad-sides you, it doesn't matter what you're driving. Keep your eyes on the road (not the kids), your hands on the wheel (not the phone), and keep twice the distance you think is safe from the car in front of you. Stay out of an accident and you won't have to worry about how safe your vehicle is.

• njdavenjdave Member Posts: 2
    The windnoise on my 2000 SLT+ was much worse than on the 2001 R/T that I recently bought. I have a feeling it was due to the mirrors (different shape on the R/T than the SLT). But, in the 18 months that I owned the 2000, I didn't notice any change in the wind noise - remained fairly constant.
  • mr_moomr_moo Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2001 SLT+ 4X4. Most of the time it will be my wife's vehicle for transporting kids. However, 3 or 4 times a year we will use it for towing a 5,000 lb. camper. I don't really want to suffer with the poor gas mileage of the 5.9L and the 3.92 gears for such limited use. The dealers here in the Twin Cities are suggesting that the 4.7L with the 3.55 gears will be more than up to the task, but Dodge has this power train "officially" rated at 4,350 lbs. Has anyone had success towing this kind of weight with the 4.7L and 3.55 power train? Any thoughts or insight are appreciated.
  • tdelaney1tdelaney1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Durango with the 4.7l engine which has been running great until lately. Three times in the last two months, the engine has suddenly stalled when traveling down the highway at 55 mph! After pulling over and waiting 5 minutes, it starts right back up like nothing ever happened! It only has 4000 miles and the dealer wasn't found the problem since it doesn't occur very often. Any help?
  • icressyicressy Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a Durango and I am very concerned about the MPG and reliability - please comment on your experiences. Also which engine 4.7 or 5.9???? I tow a small boat.
    I haven't really noticed windnoise in my 01 D., at least not enough to noticable. Check these Dealer lots for there demos,you might find a good deal in leather. Try a search on Dodge Durangoes, and you will probably find dealers you can search their inventories without ever leaving home. I see alot of the local dealers wanting to get rid of 01's to make room for the 02's.
  • pyth99pyth99 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 1998 Durango with 37K miles about 7 months ago. Last week the transmission failed completely. The vehicle only has 42K miles. I didn't have the extended warranty so it cost me $2100. The guy at the shop told me that Dodge is aware of the transmission problems on the 98 and 99 models and they modified it on the 2000 model. A person should expect a transmission to last past 42K miles, especially if they spend between $20K and $30K for it. I sent a letter to Dodge customer service to complain about this and they sent a reply back stating that they were sorry for my inconvenience but since the vehicle was out of warranty, it was my problem. I don't believe that Daimler-Chrysler cares about its customers at all. I doubt I'll ever buy another Daimler-Chrysler product after the response I got from them.
    Can't say I agree with the mechanic. There are very few reported tranny problems on the Durango that amount to anything serious, and the 46RE is based on the 727 which is still in great use in racing. Also, the tranny for the 5.9 did not change in any way AFAIK. The tranny change you are refering to was based on the new 4.7 engine, not because of "transmission problems on the 98 and 99".

Since you bought your vehicle used, though, did you have any idea of its history, and any abuse that the tranny may have undertaken? Most of the time it's lack of maintenance and heat that kills a tranny. Next time, before you buy, have the tranny inspected by a mechanic and have the fluid analyzed. I would also suggest that you switch to a high-quality synthetic tranny fluid such as Redline if you plan to keep this D.
  • taasstaass Member Posts: 40
    Hey, I'm crossing over from the synth board. Maybe you could answer a question for me. I've got a '98 Durango with the 44RE. One thing I've noticed is that the torque converter locks up normally in 4th gear (overdrive) and disengages when the throttle is released, but doesn't disengage when throttle is applied. If the speed drops below 40 mph, then the lockup disengages as it should, so I know the lockup solenoid is venting properly and the problem doesn't appear to be in the valve body. Could this be a PCM problem?

If it is a PCM problem, then I'll have it taken care of because it affects driveability by requiring a 4-3 downshift on steeper grades instead of releasing the torque converter lockup and utilizing more power from a higher rpm range. The PCM is covered under federal emmisions warranty of 100,000mi. If it is internal to the transmission, then I'll just live with it until I can afford to do something about it.
    I think the problem you are describing is SOP. Probably in an effort to squeeze every last foot of MPG, the TC stays locked under light throttle once in overdrive. I've found that when I'm driving in hilly terrain, or heavy traffic between 35-45mph, I just turn off overdrive. Once back to smooth cruising, the o/d goes back on. I've tried to find some way to adjust the MPH under which the o/d engages, but have been unsuccessful. It appears that the PCM would have to be reprogrammed. Not worth $400+ to custom flash the PCM for a little better shifting when you can do it manually.

BTW, I also have installed a shift kit on my '98 46RE. If you want your tranny to wake up, this is the ticket. Unfortunately, it has no effect on the TC and/or overdrive.
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Anyone know if Dodge is going to redo the durango yet? theyve had the same model since 98 and it could use a facelift. Has anyone else heard that Dodge will add a new larger SUV to the lineup once their Van is out? I herd it will compete with the Expedition or Suburban.
    According to rumors, the next gen Durango is scheduled for 2004 model year, and potentially will look like the Power Wagon concept:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b030901.htm

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    My roommate is getting the new car itch and wants to replace her '95 Mitsu Galant sometime within the next year.

Due to the family considerations, it would be nice if we had something that would carry 7 people.

She has really fallen in love with the look of the Durango and since it will seat seven, it is under consideration.

I am a little leery of it since it will need to be her daily driver for a 50 mile round trip commute (most of it highway).

Basically, I wonder about a 7 passenger Durango being suitable as a daily driver.

Your thoughts, please.
    Unless she's going to be carrying 7 passengers around everyday, towing 7000lbs, or going off-roading, I wouldn't advise it. My 5.9L get about 10.5-12MPG city driving. I spend about $200 in gas a month, using it as my daily driver. If I didn't go off-roading or have a boat & ATVs to tow, I'd have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
  • czard1czard1 Member Posts: 7
    Go ahead and get it if she wants it. I use mine as a daily driver and love it. I have the 4.7 engine and I have no complaints. Sure it does drink more gas than a VW but it is mine, I love it and will continue to drive it and enjoy it.
    We have a 01 SLT Plus with 4.7 gets an average of 17.4 mpg, more on long trips, gotten as high as 20.7 on the highway...........but it's your choice...........
    I get real good highway MPG w/ the 5.9. Usually around 19 MPG driving at 75 MPH fully loaded with 5 passengers & ski equipment. It's all that daily stop & go 100% city driving I do that quickly burns all that gas.
    I just got back from MV and could not believe my mileage. A half tank of gas went 270 miles. This is not a precise measurement but I know that I had to refill and it only took 12 + gallons. That is a little over 21 miles per gallon. I am very happy with my D and this just reinforces it. Now if you want to talk about city driving, well that is another story but I have estimated it around 16 miles per gallon. Not too shabby.
  • jjcjrtjjcjrt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Durango with 41K miles (5.2L), and have never had a single problem. No wind noise, window problems or anything else mentioned in here. Gas mileage is poor, however, getting about 13.6 mpg overall. The third seat is great for big families, which is the only reason I have the car.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    What are the specs on the R/T,I may be interested in purchasing and I cannot find any info online, 1/4 mile times stuff like that.
    Just installed an Intense Performance Stage II intake on my 4.7. Performance is up. I like the new punch she has. Also the gas mileage has gone up 2 mpg. The engine even runs smoother while driving. If anyone is interested in this upgrade check out www.durangoclub.com. You can find out more about it from the good people there. Alot have installed this as well as other add-ons. If you're interested it only took me 20 minutes to install it. Very easy and the instructions are quite easy to read and detailed. Just an FYI.
    I have just turned 30K and am happy to report absolutely no problems with my D. I guess it shows what a little pampering will do (and a complete switch to synth's).
  • hassan_aghahassan_agha Member Posts: 2
    I own a 99 Durango. On Memorial Day while travelling at
    65 mph on the freeway I taped on my brakes to slow down.
    The brake paddle went all the way to the floor. I had NO
    brakes!!!! Fortunalty, traffic was light and I was able to
    down shift and use the emergency brakes to stop. Looking
    at the peddle, I saw that the connection for the peddle to the brake
    was broken. A small clip holds everything together. If
    the clip brakes, you will not have any brakes. The same
    part is used for Jeep Grand Cherokees.

We had the car towed to dealer and they fixed it. But I wanted to get rid of it. I did not feel safe
    putting my wife and child in it or putting other peoples
    lives in danger. I called the dealer I bought it from and
    the factory. No one game a damn. I guess someone
    needs to die before they would get off their behinds and
    do something.

I am trying to get the message out. I tried to get Chrysler
    to recall Durango but had no luck.

Get your brakes checked out. If you are thinking of
    buying a Durango.....DON'T!!!!! DON'T!!!!!! DON'T!!!
    hassan_agha,

Although a dangerous situation, you are the only one I've heard with this problem. There is not even a TSB on the subject. Therefore, there is no reason to take an alarmist position and demand a recall (you sound just like the news agencies that report on why SUVs are "dangerous"). This is no different than if you sliced a brake line from road debris (happens many times off-road). Why do you think we have emergency brakes?
This discussion has been closed.