Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    The same basic linkage has been used in almost all vehicles of all manufacturers for decades. Too many people are so used to the reliability of mechanical systems to remember or realize that anything that goes together can come apart. It is a pity that this happened to you, but it is no excuse to go off half-cocked to blame the Durango
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Is it true that the Durango has only one master brake cylinder?
  • hassan_aghahassan_agha Member Posts: 2
    rcarboni and steve234,

What if when my brakes went out, one of your family
    members was crossing the street, or I was behind your
    car and I would smash into it. What if someone would have
    died. I'm sure you would have had a different view on this issue. Emergency brakes are NOT an option in %90 of
    situations and mechanical systems, specially ones that
    are part of the cars safety system should NOT fail in a car
    that is less than 2 years old. If they do, it shows that the manufacturer has not tested or designed the parts well. And
    they should be held accountable for it.

I might be the first the Durango owner that had
    this problem, but I'm sure I won't be the last one!!!
  • taasstaass Member Posts: 40
    So often I see people rush to judgement and generalize about a vehicle based only on their experiences. One incident does not provoke a recall. Recalls are based on a trend of statistical data that can be verified to be true. They are not issued because one driver had one incident in one vehicle.

People will die on the road because of vehicle malfunction. That is part of the risk we assume when we buckle the belts and turn the ignition key. Anyone who believes otherwise is deceiving themselves into an ignorant bliss. Don't think for a moment that because you're riding on a 5000 pound chariot with dual airbags that you will be safe under all circumstances. As advanced as the techniques are for tracking automobile saftey concerns, design flaws, and manufacturing errors, they have to be discovered somehow. Often they are revealed in the field - us as drivers. Again, that's part of the assumed risk. What, 40,000 annual highway deaths? I'd say you got off pretty lucky, Mister. Instead of balking about a faulty brake pedal assembly on your Durango, why aren't we hearing you praise the wonderful performance of the emergency brake?
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I think you put this into perspective very well. One incident does not represent a defect. There is no testing or design flaw here. If so, then we must recall the majority of vehicles, new and old, on the road today.

Again, it is an unfortunate incident, but very minor compared to the multitude of malfunctions in automobiles. There are many stories of tires falling off, electrical systems failing, and fires. There are no "back-up" systems when these things happen. I have personally had the drive shaft in a Jeep Wrangler drop and hit the ground after the universal broke. I was fortunate that it didn't catch in a tire as I was doing 70mph at the time on a very busy highway. I never blamed the manufacturer, but rather blamed myself for not checking underneath the Jeep more often.

hassan_agha - What if you didn't drive at all? Then I'd have nothing to worry about! I don't know why you would want to get rid of the Durango now. You had a freak occurance, and the likelihood of it happening again in the same vehicle would be very slim (kind of like getting hit with lightning twice). Count your blessings and realize the experience has made you a stronger person able to deal with emergency situations.
  • azsid21azsid21 Member Posts: 1
    can any one tell me what is the cost of installing wheel flare parts and labor thanks
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    hassan_agha's story reminds me of an incident that happened when I worked for S.C. Johnson company back in 95 (the people who make Pledge, Johnson's Wax, etc.)

A customer bought a can of Glade air freshener. He sprayed the entire can in his car to get out a funky odor. After he sprayed the car he decided the smell was even worse. He demanded that we refund his money and clean his car. Even hired an attorney (somebody must pay!)

Sometimes things just go wrong. Get over it.
  • sr_bodysr_body Member Posts: 23
    There was a woman on the DurangoClub forum a couple of months ago that had the same problem happen to her. It's in the archives. Boy, she was LIVID!

I don't blame them. If something was to happen to my family because of part failure due to shoddy workmanship, I'd be as PO'd as well.
    I've read the DOC forum for 3+ years (some might call it an addiction!), and no one has ever posted that the brake pedal has disconnected from the shaft. If you can find a post with that problem please post here.

I believe the post you are actually referring to was a woman who was complaining about her D not stopping after someone pulled in front of her. The complaint had more to do with the brakes being inadequate, not failing.

This complaint I agree with. The front disc brakes are sub-standard for this size truck. I have replaced my rotors with slotted, cross-drilled upgrades and better pads, but they still could be larger. Of course, many people who drive SUVs try to drive them like a car, and learn the hard way that you need to give yourself extra distance for braking.
    Yup! That's the one I was referring to. I just couldn't remember the EXACT details. Just turned 30 and my memory is already going....

I don't see why DC just doesn't add rear discs or better front ones on a truck this size. I'm going to do the rear disc conversion on my D as soon as I'm done with the 3.4 pulley upgrade on my wife's GTP.
    So you're the other supercharged W-body! I have a '00 Regal GS. I recently installed the MSP CAI intake. Very nice upgrade, and an added benefit was 1mpg better fuel consumption! I'm now averaging over 27mpg. Not bad for a 240hp vehicle (probably closer to 250 now!) I'm going for the pulley soon, and I'm really tempted to get the intercooler as well. The Thrasher Regal is running over 300hp at the wheels with these mods!

BTW, I also supercharged my D. I'm running an 11lb pulley on the Powerdyne kit. The last dyno was 256hp at the wheels, but that was with a 6lb pulley. Now if I could only get 27mpg on the D!
    Yeah, I know all about your supercharged D (green w/ envy =) ). I wish I had the skills & patience to install a blower myself.

I wish my wife's GTP got 27 MPG. Unfortunately, she came with the "lead foot" option. After the Buick STB & sway bar installs, she now also loves to toss it into corners at high speeds. I don't even want to think about what will happen after the pulley upgrade. ;)
  • pcooke1pcooke1 Member Posts: 1
    My 99' Durango was just diagnosed with a broken right main leaf spring. In my nearly 40 years of driving and fixing cars/trucks, I've never had this experience. Any one with similiar experience with this problem with the "D"
  • dratzdratz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Durango that has 46000 miles. My ac recently stopped blowing cold so I had it recharged with dye to find problem. The recharge lasted 6 days before the air was no longer cold. The problem was a sensor,which was on national back order. That has now been replaced. The problem is 2 days later I am again blowing air only slightly colder than the vent alone would be. There is also an odor every time I run the ac for the first minute or so, I do not know how to describe the smell other than the smell of grease like in a garage. There is and has been for at least the last several months, a high pitched ringing sound that occurs only when ac is running. It is definitely where something is cycling because it will make the sound for approximately 3 seconds, stop for about 5 seconds then constantly repeat. I am planning to take it back to the shop so they can check for any leaks but has anyone had any similar problems? I love my Durango but I live in NC and with 90 degree days-Air Condition is a must.

It concerns me that the part I needed was on national back order. Why? Is this a problem with the 98 Durangos?
  • chryslertmichryslertmi Member Posts: 10
    What is the difference with regard to performance, towing capacity, gas mileage, price, etc. I already think the Durango is better looking.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the "Can I compare vehicles side by side?" link on the www.edmunds.com front page too.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • ducatistaducatista Member Posts: 20
    what is the break-in period for a new durango before towing. I think my chevy p/u was 500-600 miles - I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.
  • jborden1jborden1 Member Posts: 12
    Hey all,

Anybody who is out there and thinking about a dodge durango, all I can say is DON'T. I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Not only that but at least 5 other people I talked to who have one have also had serious problems with them. I just got rid of mine and bought a brand new lexus gs430. The difference is amazing. Before the durango I had a 1996 jeep grand cherokee and even that drove much much better than the durango. The durango also gets terrible gas mileage, much worse than what chrysler claims. Thats all I have to say.
    Dodge has produced over 500,000 Durangos with 100,000 just this year. If you only know of 6 with problems, then that sounds like a pretty good truck!

BTW, there are over 1000 Durango owners in the Durango Owners Club, and very few serious problems are ever reported. Likewise, the many Dakota clubs are as trouble-free.

Good luck with your GS430. That is a solid vehicle, but for ~$45,000, it better be. I think I'd buy a Regal GS instead, pocket the $20,000, get better mpg, and still smoke that 4.3 V8.
  • mikejunkusmikejunkus Member Posts: 2
    Hello- This might have been covered before, but I'm new to this group and couldn't find a posting for it...

The front license plate bracket on my Durango hangs about 2" below the front bumper. Believe it or not, I've actually had it off road where only that license plate bracket kept me from clearing a ravine. The bracket bound up in the dirt and stripped 3 of the 4 screws right out of the enduro. I unscrewed the last one, removed the bracket, and effortlessly (love my D) climbed out of the ditch. CA will site people for no front plate, but I don't want to decrease my approach angle again.

Has anyone found the answer to this problem? A bracket that mounts a little higher? Will that reduce airflow since it would cover the lower part of the radiator?

Thanks - Mike (mikejunkus@yahoo.com)
  • my_first_dodgemy_first_dodge Member Posts: 1
    That way it cannot be ripped off...
  • dlkltkdlkltk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 SLT 2WD D with 55K miles. At about 33K the oil pressure sender was replaced by the dealer. But it keeps losing oil pressure. I'll be driving along and my oil pressure drops to 0. I pull over and it goes back up. I've been to the dealer several times and they can't find a thing wrong with it. I didn't get the extended warranty, so I'm really worried that I'm going to ruin the engine. I get my oil changed regularly at 3K miles. Everything is ok for about 2K miles, then it starts with the 0 oil pressure. I love my D, but I don't trust it any more. I've had the thermostat replaced twice and the A-frame on the left front wheel broke. Any advice is welcome.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    San Antonio Express-News On the Road Column

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• lht0524lht0524 Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my Durango I/I yesterday. Love it so far. Paid $3900 below invoice. I was disappointed in not getting all the options I wanted. I wanted to get the 4 whys anti-lock brake system, but the dealer didn't have this option on any of its I/TVs in stock. I know that the standard model includes rear anti-lock brake. Does anyone knows the different between the two anti-brake systems? How much of a different does the 4-whls better than the standard? Interested in your opinions.
    Wow! How can someone review a vehicle and not know which engines are available?!!

This guy must also be psychic - he seems to know how powerful the Durango is using an engine that it doesn't come with, namely the 3.9 V6. He also never mentions the 4.7. Makes me think that this article was written 2 years ago, and just now got printed with a few tidbits of new info.
  • mikejunkusmikejunkus Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed your input in this message board, and thought you might be able to help me with entry #571. I've also tried on DOC, where I got a little help... but I'd love to hear if you know of anything.

Thanks - Mike
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The article does mention the new Chevy Trailblazer, but Durangos stopped coming in V-6 base forms since 2000. However, they did have a 3.9 liter V-6.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/dodge/durango/4drslt4wdwagon/standard.html?id=lin0062
    Mike,

Unfortunately, I think the only solution is to remove the front bracket before heading off-road as suggested. You could relocate the bracket, but I don't think that's a great solution either. Maybe you could find some quick-disconnect type screws/bolts to hold the bracket in place.

diploid,

Yes, the 3.9 V6 was made, but good luck trying to find one. There were supposedly less than 40 made. Should be a collector's item some day.
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    My sister has been looking for an suv with three rows of seats, leather, a good sound system, heated seats, a powerful engine, and good hauling and towing ability. Right now she has found three, worth looking at. The Dodge Durango, the Chevrolet Tahoe, and the Mercedes Benz ML430. All of which have V8s and are capable of holding about 7 to 8 people. These are her possible candidates after looking at other vehicles like the Land Rover Discovery(not powerful enough) and Lincoln navigator/Ford Expedition(Ford reliability and cumbersome handling). Her requirements are being able to hold 7 people in relative comfort, having enough power for hauling those people and towing a 3500 pound boat, handling relatively easily, and having the ability to get through snow and rain with ease as well as some possible off-road usage. All have V8s. The Durango, 4.7, Tahoe, 5.3, and the ML430, the 4.3 which makes it hard to determain which is better in the hauling and towing area? Her last question is whether this vehicle will hold up well over a period of 3 to possibly 5 years? She is completely in the dark. If you have any comments, suggestions, or recommendations please write back. Thanks!
    It looks as if everyone in your family is looking for a new car! You should all go to one dealer and tell them you want a volume discount. ;)

For the three vehicles you listed here: If money is no object, and you can stomach the mini-van design, the ML430 would probably top most lists.

Both the Durango and the Tahoe are good choices. The Durango feels smaller behind the wheel, and was a bit quicker in pickup. The Tahoe rides a bit smoother, but feels very large, and seems to require more attention to driving due to the size. The Tahoe also has more of a pickup look (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Reliability in the ML430 will probably be very good, although there were a lot of problems with the 320 when it first debuted. The Durango has proven reliability in the 5.9(360) and 5.2(318) engines, but the 4.7 is relatively new. So far, it seems to be quite good. Likewise, the Tahoe engine is relatively new, but GM truck engines have usually proven quite reliable.

The bottom line it seems would come down to taste in styling, budget, and capacities.
    But if all the people who will go into your new SUV are adults, they won't be too happy in the 3rd row seats.

The Durango's 3rd row seat, like every other mid-sized SUV, is meant for children only.

The same goes for the Mercedes.

The Tahoe's 3rd seat is roomy enough for adults, but leg room is a problem. They'll have to sit with their knees to their chest since the floor is raised back there, but the seats are not.

I would choose the Tahoe. It's big, but who would want to stuff 7 people into a mid-size? The 3rd row passengers can always remedy the leg room problem by sitting on extra cushions---they'll just lose out in the headroom department.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Go with the Suburban ................
  • dmc17dmc17 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2000 Durango with the 4.7L V8. Enjoyed it very much. The engine and the third row is the best feature. Plus you can park it in a standard sized garage. Legroom in the third row is not a problem for me and I'm 6'0" tall (although a local short trip is all I would recommend).

Traded it in with 20,000 miles and it only went back to the dealer for oil changes.
    What did you trade for?
  • cmimcmim Member Posts: 9
    Durango:
    SLT 4WD
    Options:
    SLT Value group
    Dealer Price:

Explorer
    XLT 4WD
    Options:
    Premium Stereo w/Cassette & CD
    Dealer Price:

Durango pluses were: firm ride, no clanks or rattles, great pickup, very nice interior, excellent center storage console and excellent styling. Durango minuses were. Breaking could be better but coming from a Chevy it was better.

Explorer pluses were: firm ride and excellent braking. Explorer minuses were, poor pickup, couple of rattles, cheap interior (the analog gauges looked as though they were designed by a 2 year old), blah styling, center console was just a big hole.

For 2300 less, I get a third seat, rear AC/Heat and a stereo with cass/CD/EQ with steering wheel mounted controls ... I bought the Durango
  • baker314baker314 Member Posts: 2
    I can't speak to the 3rd row seating issue since mine doesn't have the third row seats, but I love my 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9 Liter V8 and I use it tow a 2,400 lb. horse trailer with a 1,000 lb. horse in it every week. I live in the mountains, and although sometimes it has to shift down to third gear while going up a long or steep incline, it does the job. It was the only midsize SUV with the power to tow my precious cargo, and it handles like a car (which comes in handy when trying to back a trailer into a tight spot!).
  • baker314baker314 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 1998 Durango to one of those quickie oil change places (never again!), and ever since then it's been emitting these horrible sulfur/rotten egg smells. I looked under the hood and noticed the pcv valve was missing. Bought a new one and put it on, but the smell didn't go away. Took it to the repair shop, and they said the pcv valve I bough was bad, so they replaced it. IT STILL SMELLS! What else could it be? Should I give in a take it to the dealer where they'll charge me $50 for a $2 part?
    Took a trip to the Twin Cities........averaging 70 -80 on the interstate with front and back air on and got 18.4 mpg, left the cities heading back to WI. by way of 2 lane roads and alot of small towns hanging around 60, averaged 21.7 mpg. My high to date is the 21.7 and low is 18.1 with 16,000 miles on an 01 4.7.
  • pgs_28pgs_28 Member Posts: 34
    Hi

I'm looking to buy the above vehicle but unsure how much to pay. Any Canadian buyers out there that may help or does anyone know of a site where I can find information?

Thanks
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You can check out the Chrysler Canada home page at http://www.chryslercanada.com . For invoice pricing on the Dodge Durango, you can check out http://www.carcostcanada.com or http://www.apa.ca . Unfortunately in Canada, there are no sites that provide free invoice information, so you will have to pay a small fee. A minor thing compared to the savings that you may incur.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone leased a Durango? I don't know if I want to lease or buy, and was wondering if anyone had any advice.
    Thanks in advance!
  • chief142chief142 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody have a problem with their 2000 durango paint? I have swirl & spot marks under the clear coat on the hood & roof!!!
  • czard1czard1 Member Posts: 7
    I have owned my D now for 1 year and 3 month's. I must say that I am completely satisfied with this vehicle. I have had NO troubles out of it. I have now 38,900 miles on it. Yes, I do alot of driving. City and Highway. It is an SLT with 4x4. It drives great still. No noises, no squeaks or rattles, gas mileage best I got on hwy was 21.6. City is not that good at 15 mpg. The engine is still strong, the interior still looks new. I have no problems with the paint or clear coat. Mechanically I have had no problems. It get's regular maintenance and that's it. I have switched (since new) all the fluids to synthetic and this may be an addition to the reason why I have had good luck with it. It has been loaded to the gills hauling furniture and other items for vacations and never had any problems. It drives great on the road and is very comfortable. No fatigue when the long drive ends. I must say that I did look at other vehicles before buying this one and I am glad I did. I have put on an Intense Performance intake and the performance has improved slightly but again. NO PROBLEMS at all. Would I purchase one again? Absolutely if my tastes are the same when that time comes. I will be keeping this vehicle until the doors fall off.
  • gvissergvisser Member Posts: 4
    Anyone out there getting a high pitched engine noise after their 4.7L engine is warmed up? The sound has both a whistling and metallic sound, is similar to crickets in pitch, and sometimes cuts in and out. It occurs in any gear, brakes applied or not, stationary or in motion, a/c on or off, and less under hard acceleration. It seems to come form the top of the engine. I suspect it's a vacuum leak. It's driving me nuts!

The dealer first thought the brake booster was the culprit, but replacing this didn't rid the sound. When I brought it back, they decided then to tell me about a tech bulletin indicating that the plastic induction manifold could cause this sound, some engines worse than others. Supposedly the 2000 engine had the same issue, only worse. Does anyone know a web site that provides these bulletins?

The sound began around 1,300 miles. At 1,200 I switched oil to Mobile 1 synthetic. Could that be a cause?

Any help is much appreciated!
  • cmimcmim Member Posts: 9
    For TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins)go to

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/index.cfm

Sounds like it might be a loose belt or when you had the oil service they they forgot to button something down.

• pyrof4spyrof4s Member Posts: 2
    The nasty bumper to body gaps are quite ugly. Dime size gaps? nope Half Dollar gaps if the coin was turned sideways.
    I know that all trucks (even Toyota's) have larger body gaps than cars do, but the Durango's bumper to body gaps take the cake. I think it's something with the design, not poor craftsmanship, because the rest of the car's body panels are just right for a vehicle this size.
    Thanks for the site!

Didn't see any TSB's on the noise. The dealer now hears the sound, believes it's abnormal (previously they claimed it was normal), and will use a listening device to locate the cause. Now that it's getting a bit more consistent, it clearly comes from the driver's side of the plastic intake manifold, toward the rear of the engine. A slight pull on the throttle cable will cause it. If they ever find the cause, I guess I should post it here for others, in case they encounter the same noise.

Belts checked out ok, including the idlers. As for the oil, I discovered a note I missed in the owners manual under break-in procedures that recommends using the factory oil, which apparently is a special formula, for a few thousand miles prior to changing it. oops. The dealer says my changing it at 1,200 won't cause warranty problems. They did say my gas mileage may never reach full potential, but mine actually went up soon after the change. At around 1,300 miles I was getting 15.5 mpg at 50/50 city/highway driving. I changed it at 4,300 with no effect on the noise.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I have a 2000 Durango, 4-wheel drive, 5.9L and I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade and improve the suspension. I know that it's a truck and I know that it has leaf springs but I'm looking for a slightly less stiff ride without giving up any body roll. The suspension on the truck now is incredibly noisy and it's annoying me to go over bumps or hauling people with me. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    I only have recent history with Dodges, but I do have years of experience with trucks in general (lifted Fords & Jeeps used for four wheeling). If you've put a lot of miles on your truck and used it hard, the bushings in both your shocks and leaf springs could be shot. This and other loose or worn suspension components can contribute to a rough ride. Your leaf springs, if the originals, could be fatigued (I recall some postings to this site indicating this is common on the durango). Does the rear end sag? Does the ride feel like your riding the bump stops that prevent too much wheel travel?

If you're going to consider after market springs and shocks, lifted or not, I would consult with your local 4x4 shop. Manufacturers design springs for all types of needs; lots of wheel travel, higher pay loads, etc.. I've been burned with lifts and replacements that are too heavy duty and stiff, so be careful! Finally, I've heard nothing but good things about Edelbrock's high end truck shocks when it comes to nice ride without leaning. Don't know how tough they are. I would first try replacing the shocks before messing with the springs. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.