Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Buick Rendezvous Class Action?

Comments

• h2oaquadogh2oaquadog Member Posts: 11
    It is just mind blowing to me that Buick seems to think that their cars are only good for about 80,000 miles. I don't care how "old" a car is, with mileage as low as this, they should be standing up for their product. Mine 02 CXL only made it for 38,000 miles before I had it towed to the dealership and told them it was theirs, I couldn't afford to fix it anymore. There is a class action against GM/Buick but it is for gasket leaks that you had to have repaired by I believe May 30th. There defintely should be one for the wheel bearings on this, even though they did one of their so called recalls on them. I'm curios to hear what you hear back from the BBB because this car should not be on the road.
    :lemon:
  • jsuarez1jsuarez1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a question about the blower motor resistor, why did you replace this piece.
    was it because the 1-5 channels were not working? my issue is 1-3 channels does not work, 4 & 5 the air does work.

any answer will help!
    thanks
  • flutterby0525flutterby0525 Member Posts: 1
    My ABS takes over randomly and occassionally the light will come on. I have had it in to the dealer 8 times now (it's actually currently there) and they have replaced both front wheel hubs and harnesses. Last time it was in they said it was a wire further up the frame rubbing. Now they can't replicate the problem and have no clue what to do. HELP!! :mad:
  • matti5475matti5475 Member Posts: 6
    i replaced it for that very reason. the resistor reduces the current to the blower motor. pi bought it on rock auto.com . it was way cheaper that gm and you can compare the photo`s to the one you have. it is located under the glove box and takes a 9/32 socket to remove it. i had trouble get the 9/32 screws on the resistor out so i had to take the blower motor out as well.
    good luck
    matt
    p.s i have also done the window regulators and wheel bearings as well, so if you run into these problems i will be more than happy to tell you how i was able to fix them.
    thanks for the question , makes me feel good that i can help someone who owns one of these gems.
  • samjaysamjay Member Posts: 4
    We have had numerous problems with our 2002 Buick Rendezvous! We just had an AC condenser replaced last week and now our head gasket is leaking and in need of repair. The intake manifold has also been replace, wheel bearings, and who knows what is to come! We have 3 more years to pay on this piece of [non-permissible content removed]. I am planning on writing to BBB and to GM to see if they will help us recoup some of these repairs. There is no reason a car with 70K miles on it should have these HUGE problems! GM must be aware of these issues.
    I'm with you on that! Our 2002 has cost us 1000s in repairs!!! And I am sure there are more to come! We only have 70000 on it and we just replaced the AC condenser and head gaskets in a matter of a month! I'm beside myself and planning to write and call!
  • vani2004vani2004 Member Posts: 9
    Samjay, you can call and complain BBB but will of no use. Only good will do is that BBB will keep track of how many complain they are getting for 2002 buick for same problem. I had the same problem that you had. First, AC condenser and then head gasket. I replaced both. I replaced Head gasket in aug. 2006 and spend over $1600 to replace them. Within less then 2 years i just found out that my head gasket went bad again. So i have to replace head gasket again in 2008. I complained BBB and you know what GM offered me to resolve the problem????? They are just using BBB as a selling point. Instead of helping me repair my car, they offered me $500 to buy new GM vehicle..can you believe that?...It was insulting....why would i buy another GM vehicle after terrible nightmare expereince with one of their Vehicle. I don't have money to fix a car and they want me to buy another car. In complain i repeatedly mentioned i don't have $$$$ to replace again head gasket and i need help. What kind of idot work at GM who offers $500 to me to buy another vehicle who don't have money to fix car. Let say if another car cost 25000 and they offered me $500 against buying another vehicle. I don't have money to fix head gasket on my 2002 buick. so i have to come up with $24500. I have to get loan to buy that another GM Vehicle. (who will give me loan when i dn't have $1000 to fix my car). Loan monthly payment will probably somewhere around $500 or may be more. Did GM think about any of that stuff....NO wonder if GM employee comes up with such idea to resolve problem, then no wonder GM is performing so poorly and just ruining all the reputation. I wonder all the big guns at GM are just bunch of Idiots. Wrong people at wrong place.
  • heidi13heidi13 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Buick Renezvous has a christmas tree dash board that the dealer says is not under warranty. The internal harness in the transmission has to be replaced I have no reverse. Both my ABS and anti-lock brake lights are on as well. HELP?
    You can contact BBB or send a letter directly to GM. I haven't sent a letter yet, but am planning on pursuing my issues further. This is out of control.
  • jensmith5050jensmith5050 Member Posts: 4
    Well I am telling you after the mess we have been in with this and 2800 in a month with gaskets, hoses ,serpentine belt and pully, vacum hose, taking out that nice dexcoolant that may have caused this mess battery cables that about caught on fire and more guess what the ingine is blown 3 days after we picked it up it started knocking and we still owe on this ,. I am sending GM and reporting it as a lemon under the lemon laws this should be recalled it has been a headache from day on get rid of yours fast that was my next step but to late
    we're so frustrated!! 3000 in repairs in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who has that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ every month.
  • h2oaquadogh2oaquadog Member Posts: 11
    I don't think that any states lemon laws will still cover this car. I believe it had to have been defective in the first years it was on the road. Unfortunately for all of us who own/owned this vehicle it didn't really crap the bed till the lemon laws were expired. You can write a letter to GM, be sure to send it to the office of the CEO, and your dealership has an amount of " good faith" $ and they may be willing to help you out. I was able to get my wheel bearings fixed for free 2 times before they were recalled.
    The fact remains that the ONLY way to stop paying for repairs on this vehicle is to ditch it. EVEN if that means you pay for it without owning it. Seriously, it would be cheaper to make the payments than to pay for the repairs. I had to get rid of mine at 37,000 miles...a 2002! That thing should have run forever. I was lucky enough that my GM dealership was part of a Subaru dealership also, so that is what I drive now, and have never been happier. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating and sad this is. :lemon:
  • jamey334jamey334 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also with you. I was just told this morning that my head gasket was blown and am going to need 2000.00 dollars just to fix it. Then I need to figure out what caused it to blow!!! I've also had the wheel bearings replaced! I have 1 more year to pay on my piece of [non-permissible content removed]!!!
  • jamey334jamey334 Member Posts: 2
    Oh and I forgot to add that the traction and abs systems need repairing!!
  • juliaomjuliaom Member Posts: 29
    If there is a class action suit, I am in. This car is a nightmare, I have same prob with my 2002 RDV CXL, now with 114,000. Bought used in 2004 with 29,000 miles from a Buick dealer. This car has cost me more money than all my prior 4 cars, Izuzu Rodeo, Volvo turbo, Mercedes Sedan, and used Mercedes, all over a 34 year period.
    First year the AC compressor went, out of town dealer charged $2000.
    Then rotors, many other problems, then in Aug 2008, the engine head gaskets had been leaking, car overheated, dealer repaired engine for $3000, also same time the right driver window repaired motor for $550., then another window repair for $500.
    The service manager at Glenn Buick talked to the Buick rep, and they said Tough, its not under warrenty. The dealer knows all the repairs he made on this car for me.
    Now the AWD disable light on for two months, dealer charged $95 to tell me I need a new hub and sensors to repair problem, and it will be almost $600.
    This car has cost me so much I cannot afford another car.
    I bought it to be a good American citizen and buy an American car, turned out after I bought it, found out it was made in Mexico. I did not know there was anyone left in Mexico to work.
    Sign me up, this 2002 RDV CXL has cost me a fortune. August the dealer repaired head gaskets badly leaking, overheating, for over $2000. Two broken window motors, over $500 each, NOW, the AWD disable light is on, and the dealer charged $95 to tell me I need new hub and sensors to repair this for another $600.
    Why has this car not been recalled.
    I bought American car to be good American, never again. Toyota here I come.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Before they change the hub, I would ask them to check the integrity of the wireing to it. Many times it is a connection problem and not the sensor itself thats bad.
    Thank you so much for the reply, I will do that about checking the wiring. I am all about getting a second opinion. Just trying to find a reputible car repair place to take it to.
    I could have bought a Santa Fe, but NO, I was a Realtor at the time and thought I needed a large posh car with leather seats. What a mistake.
  • johnnieqjohnnieq Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous,And I to Have had nothing but trouble with it..Mine started with the air condition going out then the gas tank,the battery, constant fuses going out. And now my car is knocking.I dont know what to do ..Im a single mom with two kids and I dont know what to do..I will join you, on going after GM and reporting it as a lemon!!! please email
    I want to join the class action.could you email me and tell me what I need to do...I have had the same problems as everyone else.And Im tired, angry and out of money..I cant afford to put any more money into this car and "TIME"!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you wish to receive private mail from people engaged in a recall effort, set your email to visible in your member profile (see link at top right on this page). That way your email address becomes available (only) to our members when they click on your name in a byline of one of your posts and you don't expose your address to the general public.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dickburgiodickburgio Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping someone can help. I have 2002 Buick Rendevous. The interior lights will not shut off after you start the car. I have changed fuses without sucess. Currently running without dash board lights because cirucuit is same as interior lights. Any suggestions?????
    Hhmm if this were the Pontiac version, I could guess maybe the interior lamp control had been turned to 'on' instead of 'door',not sure on the vous though.
  • margaretgmargaretg Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: I have all the same problems listed in this blog. I just spent $2,000 getting the head gasket fixed and now I find the air conditioning needs to be fixed for $1,000. I've already replaced the gas tank, which I found became a recall item. I think the car is a lemon and poorly engineered. It's a shame Buick won't be more responsive. :lemon:
    I do not know how many miles you have on this 2002, but my suggestion is get the extended warranty, quickly. My 2002, bought in 2004 with 29,000 miles has cost me $9000 in repairs, and tomorrow is going in for a new hum as the AWD light has been on for two months, and now the tie rod is going out.
    The head gaskets were repair a few monts ago for almost $3000, and both front window motors, and the driver side switch, and the first year I bought it the AC went out when I was out of town, that was over $2000.
    If you can, get rid of this car asap.
    Welcome to my Rendevous 2002 world, first the AC, then the hubs, then the head gaskets, both front window motors, and the window switch, now the AWD is out and they found the tie rod is going too.
    The lemon laws do not apply unless you are the original owner and bought it from a dealer, which I did but it was in 2004. The dealer has been good but not much help to intercede for me.
  • benlucky36benlucky36 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to join your class action law suit. I bought my 02 Rendevous 11 months ago with 60 thousand miles on it. First the transmission went out then the AC then the fuel pump and not the BCM is out. Please send me info on what I need to do to join. My Email address is gregka@yahoo.com.

Thanks
    I am not positive there is a Class Action suit, I saw a reference on this board.
    Friday I reached $10000 in repairs in 4 years on this Buick Rendevous. The dealer and GM paid for the AWD system failure of $454.00, after a month of haggling, but the tie rod breaking and of course the front breaks and rotors were out.
    The front breaks could have been exacerbated by the failure of the AWD system, but GM said tough.
    If I were I would find an after market warrenty (cheaper than the dealers) and get it quick. You have just begun you disaster with this car.
    GM kept telling me my milage was too high at 114,000, but the car started breaking at 45,000 with the AC system.
    I suggested to the GM person, who by the way was in Argentina, that they should say they cars are only good for 60,000 miles and save us some trouble.
    The first GM customer service person I spoke with was in the Phillipines.
    So much for GM outsourcing our jobs.
    This company is totally stupid, and they make a crap car.
  • bobc515bobc515 Member Posts: 2
    Have an 02 CX. All in all not a bad car. Had Gas tank issue(leak) fixed prior to recall, got recall notice, GM covered entire cost. had 80k manifold problem. Dealer says it is 'common' in this car, sounds like a design flaw to me, should be covered by GM). Now having issue with car just going DEAD. Drove yesterday about 50 miles, went to lock car with FOB, no response. Went back and tried to start car DEAD totally.
    came back 40 mins later, started right up, clock did not lose any time, so it was not the battery. Drove car home, turned off, every light and indicator started to blink,
    could not shut off, finally stopped, car was now DEAD again, 10 mins later started up, but everything blinking again. Trio to dealer next action. Anyone have DEAD car issue
    Really sounds like a cable connection problem, loose or corroded, could also be battery/charging system issue.
  • bobc515bobc515 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer replaced battery and checked charging system abot 6 weeks ago. Charging system OK, or so dealer stated. I hpe it is something as simple as a bad cable
  • matti5475matti5475 Member Posts: 6
    on my 02 , i was having problems with the car stalling out on me. this was after fixing all the the other crap on it 1st. i have a friend who pays for mitchell manuals and let me look up the tbs for my 02 . to my surprise i found one about gas. it had said that certain gas stations gas would cause stalling and other things to happen with how the car runs.i switched to kwik fil rather than hess. after 2 bottles of lucas gas treatment and 3 tanks of high test A ok. so check this site out. www.toptiergas.com maybe this helps you.. good luck
  • SassyVSassyV Member Posts: 1
    I would like information regarding the class action suit for the Rendezvous 2002. I am having the same issues as everyone. I can't afford to pay the repairs anymore and am almost done paying off the car in 6 months. I hate to have get another car and make payments for 5 years again. I just want the problem taken care of once and for all!!
  • flnative2flnative2 Member Posts: 1
    Given the symptom that every light and indicator started to blink, wouldn't it be the Body Control Module (BCM)? My folks have a Rendezvous (hopefully, not for long -- trading it in) and the lights started blinking when the BCM went.
  • brandy0449brandy0449 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 2006 rendevous since january 2007 my belt has broken 5 times right know i am still in warrenty the belt just broke last night and the belt before that broke dec 9 i have took it to 2 different dealerships to try and solve the problem i have called buick every time since the 2nd time it happen when it happen the 3rd time i got free oil changes and tire rotation til my warrenty ends i havent even put 8000 miles on it in a year because i am scared to take it that far because i might get stranded :mad: :lemon: :sick:
  • mambajambaamambajambaa Member Posts: 1
    Please include me in a class action suit if one forms, Ive had all the classic problems
  • gomeslmgomeslm Member Posts: 1
    If there are any Canadian Rendezvous owners on the forum, the class action settlement agreement has been approved. You can get info and claim forms here -> link title

The settlement itself isn't great but at least it puts a little bit of money back in our pockets.

With the junk that GM has been pushing out for the last number of years and their total lack of responsiveness to customers, is it any wonder that they are in the toilet and getting flushed? If it weren't for the fact that so many people would be out of work, I would tell the governments in Canada and the US to GM fail. Good riddance to bad rubbish. :mad:
    Does this only apply to the Canadian owners??
    My POS goes into the dealer again tomorrow, it is now leaking coolant. I took it to them the other day, and they looked at the fluid I took in, and said it was OIL.
    DUH, they think I don't check my oil, and know what it looks like??
  • porkchopporkchop Member Posts: 3
    We have an 02 CXLOn Friday the service engine soon light came on (the two front seat heaters were on). The light then went off while continuing to drive. Parked the car and left it run for about 30 minutes while wife waited for son, moved the car and then the power windows wouldn't work, next was the doors wouldn't lock and the rear hatch wouldn't work. Just went out to check fuses, car alarm started going off then car went completely dead.
  • porkchopporkchop Member Posts: 3
    We thought it may be battery - took it to Walmart. Explained to the guy what was going on, he immediately asked if we had a Rendezvous, then asked is it an "02"? We asked how did he know that, he said he used to work at a Buick dealership and said it sounds like the BCM. He suggested the dealership he used to work at. We ran up there and they said same thing, sounds like BCM. They called a little bit ago and said it was NOT the BCM but a bad connection with the underhood fuse box and that we did need a new battery. Since buying this car (used from a dealer) about 2 and 1/2 years ago, we have put rotors and brakes on twice, calipers this past summer and a new gas cap and fuel filter. We do have that "sound" in the back of the car when we turn the wheels (parking). We still have about 3 years left on payments - payoff on loans is way more than the car is worth, so basically stuck with it.
  • billohbilloh Member Posts: 5
    I just started having this problem. Transmission is going back and forth from 4th gear to the overdrive gear. While this is happening, the cruise control will not work. Anyone have any experience with this? I've had all the other problems.
  • charocflcharocfl Member Posts: 18
    (Note I have seen in other posts that this is also happening to the Buick Rendezvous. Please post reply to my poll in my Aztek post so that there will be one location to access the data. See:
    #283 of 283 Problem Body Control Module (BCM) for the Pontiac Aztek & "The DISCO effect by charocfl Jan 23, 2009 (11:50 am)
    at: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f10b5f0/282 or post below if you like)

Hi, since I have now experienced one of the first stages of Problem Body Control Module (BCM) for the Pontiac Aztek & "The DISCO effect" where my hatch refused to open using either my key remote, dash button or manually with key (was not even able to turn key in lock to open). I did some research & found that this a prevalent problem with the Aztec & similar cars such as the Rendezvous & that several people have attempted to request assistance with this problem or at least a recall for the defunct GM: 15143352 Body Control Module (BCM) & note I have read that this BCM has been replaced by ACDelco 15235418 Control Module Assembly, but I have not been able to completely verify this as yet. Note these BCM cost between $325 to $175 ea. & require programming for each individual car which I have seen rungs around $80. Note this does not include the 2 hours tearing my Aztec apart by remove parts in order the hatch open (included removing the rear hatch window, hatch molding, etc.) & the time & labor to put every thing back. Also note that his will have to be done twice since I need to drive my Aztek while I am working on getting a replacement BCM. The fact that some many Azteks & Rendezvous have come down with this "Disco Effect" for going on over 5 years now from the posts & complaints I have seen I think it is about time that a recall should be issued to have the BCM replaced on all effected cars. To this end if anyone who has experienced the "DISCO effect" please post the following:
    Car, model & year:
    Disco symptoms:
    The repair costs:
    Any persons contacted, when, & response to complaint:
    Which BCM P/N was used to replace the defective one?

Thanks for your cooperation, I have completed the email form & will be contacting the Pontiac customer care by phone later on & will post the responses when I get them, BTW if you want to contact Pontiac as I have their contact info is:
    http://www.pontiac.com/help/contact/#
    Contact Us: Your complete satisfaction is important to us. We have facilities, representatives, technicians, tools, and up-to-date information to promptly resolve your questions or concerns. We provide multiple convenient ways to contact us 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
    Click the link below to open our e-mail contact form:
    http://www.pontiac.com/showEmailToFriend.do?emailToBrand=cac
    Mail: Please mail your comments, questions, or concerns to the Customer Assistance Center located nearest you. From inside the U.S: Pontiac Customer Assistance Center
    P.O. Box 33172
    Detroit, MI 48232-5172
    From inside Canada: GM of Canada
    1908 Colone Sam
    Oshawa, Ontario
    L1H 8P7, Canada
    Mail Code 163-005
    Telephone: Your vehicle concerns are important to us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or feedback. To better address your comments and concerns, please choose from the phone numbers below. Pontiac Customer Assistance Centers are open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST, and closed on Sunday.
    Your name, address, and home and daytime telephone numbers - Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your registration Dealership name and location - Vehicle delivery date and current mileage - Nature of your concern Customer Assistance Center:
    Inside the U.S.: 1-800-762-2737 Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777

PS: I will be keeping a running documentation on the research I am doing regarding this issue at my Yahoo link listed below: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sBN6SZAlGtlYMC8-9tD3sVVwpNnZ7dIDH7qTTw83mM574IK2bis- W1gLY

CharO, Merritt Island, FL

Copy of my email feedback to Pontaic:
    cac@pontiac.com
    I would like to know the status on any recalls for the Azteks regarding the Body Control Module (BCM) for the Pontiac Aztek ref: GM: 15143352 which may have been replaced by Control Module Assembly - Model #: 15235418 Brand: ACDelco. As I under stand it from the several pages of complaints this is one of the stages of the 'disco effect' where the head lights were flashing constantly and horn honking, doors/windows & hatch unlock/lock &/or release, Dash instrumentations goes out & the AC & barratry(s) drain. For more detailed hatch/BCM problem please see: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f10b5f0/282 Note, I will hold off filing a consumer complaint at www.800helpfla.com until I hear back with your response.

01 Aztek GT - VIN: 3G7DA03E21S528105
    Sincerely:
    Charlene M. Ormsby, Merritt Island, FL 32953
  • tatoobankertatoobanker Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I also have a 2002 CX with 112,000 miles on it. It is not the AWD model, but it is loaded with all the other options and even has the trailer towing option added. We bought the Buick from my father in 2005 after I totaled out my cavalier (never had one problem with that car). My father did not have any problems with the Buick during his ownership. Since we have owned it we have replaced the front brakes 3 times, rotars 2 times, back brakes and rotars, both front wheel bearings, the hood has been repainted for the paint bubbling (which GM knows about and they told me that it is a common problem, but could not do anything about it). Since then the paint has began to bubble again, and even though we were told that the paint had a life time warranty, they will not do anything about it unless it rust through, the hood is aluminum, it will not rust through. The extra air compressor will not work, my air leveling system will not turn on, my third tail light will not work and I can not find a replacement anywhere. My gas gauge does not work, the fuel used gauge works but the traditional gas gauge does not. I am always blowing fuses when we try to plug anything in to the cig lighter. Is anyone else having these problems and what could be causing them. I have taken it to dealers and they tell me that there is nothing they can do. We have $4000 left to pay on it and dealers are only offering us $2000 for it. Oh, and it also started to leak oil this year and they can not find where it is coming from. We love the car, it has a great ride, great room, and we like how it looks, but we can not afford to keep fixing it unless we know what is wrong. My father has felt so bad that he has paid for half the repairs, but it is GM's issue not my fathers.
  • billohbilloh Member Posts: 5
    Mine is leaking coolant from the radiator. $800.00+ to have the radiator replace. 3 1/2 hours labor. Very sad.
    For the things to rear of vehicle (brake light fuel sensor for gauge auto-level) there is a connector that has an effect on many things. It is the c-305 connector and it is in back of drivers seat on floor (about where your feet would go if sitting in back), its been known to cause problems (bad connections) due to water intrustion.
  • tatoobankertatoobanker Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for giving me someplace to look. The dealerships have told me that there is nothing wrong, they have also told me that I would have to replace my whole fule system, $1,000.00. So any adivce that I can get would be great. I will give this connection a look at. Thanks.
  • KayJay62KayJay62 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL. 3 weeks ago I was driving home when the hot coolant warning came on flashing and chiming. I pulled off the road and waited for it to cool and took it to a lube center. They said the coolant looked fine, but they could smell fuel when they lifted the hood and encouraged me to take it in to a mechanic. The next day I took it to the mechanic and on the short drive there, I expereinced again the hot coolant warning light. The mechanic replaced the water pump and the thermostat - and the problem still wasn't fixed. We then took it to the dealership where they called a few days later and stated the problem was fixed - 5 miles from the dealership, here comes the warning light again! Took it back and they are now saying it looks like the head gasket and a whole lotta money! Like others, my door locks only work sometimes. Frustrating!

I miss my car! I sure hope Buick steps up to the plate and helps us out with this as it appears to be pretty common ... am thinking I have bought a money pit!
    :lemon: I had posted months ago about the head gasgets on my 2002 rendezvous.come to find its the intake vavles. So.... I paid 975.00 to fix the darn the thing! Now came back to tell me that on this model that the rings are worn down because water has got in the there because the seals were not put in right! Now I have to have the whole motor replaced!!!!! Please!!! tell me where to sign on the forum on the class action suit...
    Make sure its not the intake valves.because I also thought it was the head gasgets too....and make sure who ever checks your car, that they check your rings before you lose your money....there are three other 2002 rendezvous here in odessa tx with the same thing that happened to them...Be careful!!!!!!
  • rmck641rmck641 Member Posts: 3
    so porkchop did the battery solve the alledged bcm problem