Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    that's Ok. i actually think i am going with the SXT with the appearance package and fog lights added (the appearance pkg comes with the graphite metallic wheel flares and grille - and i'm getting graphite metallic color for the truck, so it'll all match). Anyway. The seats are not bad. I drove it for a few hours today and they were just fine. No, not leather, but i dont' want leather. Anyway, the clencher was that the 02 SLT only comes with the chrome grille, which i do not want. So the only other option is either an RT (which i can't afford!) or the SXT. In all, it's the same truck, with some minor internal differences which i can live with.
    becky
  • osunaosuna Member Posts: 1
    I got a great deal in December on a 2001 SLT Plus but I was wondering if I should buy an extended warranty either on the Internet, thru a dealer, or thru the Auto Broker that I bought if from. Also, whats a good price for an extended warranty?
    Thanks!
  • ywilsonywilson Member Posts: 135
    I don't know about the rest but I have not seen that. Also, I know many with Durangos in the club that go off road frequently. I have done some 4x4in and let me say the truck is an awsome off road machine. It won't go rock crawling but it can handle some tough trails and ford some nice streams. It is especially fun in the winter with snow on the ground. But, you can find this out for yourself if you try it sometimes. If you deflate the tires it also goes great on the beach. Did this at Martha's Vineyard.

I have an extended warranty and even though I have not had to use it I am glad for the extra protection. You never know when you will need it.

Enjoy the SXT. I think it is a nice vehicle and I am sure you are going to love it. Find some trails where you live and give it a try off road. Make sure you have room on both sides so as not to get any after market pinstripes. >8^)>

NOTE: Get rid of the OEM Goodyear tires. They are the worst!! I replaced them with Yoko Geolander II's. Much better tire and much more fun in the rough.
  • bskohlerbskohler Member Posts: 53
    I have the Geolandar II's on another suv that I own and they are awesome tires for trucks/suvs.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• vt86vt86 Member Posts: 1
    I've been agonizing over a purchase of a Durango SLT Plus vs a GMC Envoy. Each has it's own advantages. Has anyone compared the two vehicles and can share their thoughts? I have been in an Explorer or Mountaineer since '91, with no real complaints. Just looking for a change. Love the room, storage capacity and warranty on the Durango; love the ride, comfort and looks of the Envoy. Hope it doesn't come down to a coin flip!
  • kracoekracoe Member Posts: 1
    2/22/2002
    1998 Durango; 69,000 miles.

As much as I love my 98 4wd Durango, which I bought used a year ago, the love affair may be coming to an end. The other day, on crowded freeway, the check gauge light came on when the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero momentarily. It then returned to normal. Then it dropped again and there was a pop and a loss of power. I pulled over and the engine quit before I could get off the road.
    I took it to the nearest dealer, confident that the engine and power train warranty would cover whatever had happened. The shop said that I'd thrown a rod and needed a new engine. I told them to contact the warranty company, Fidelity Warranty Services Inc. in Deerfield Beach Fla. They immediately tried to deny the claim and demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. Too bad for them, cause I have all of them. I also have an attorney already on retainer that would be happy to take the case. I haven't heard what their response is after they inspected my vehicle and received copies of my receipts today. But, I just got done reading lots of articles just like this one on consumerafairs.com. I may be in for a long ride on this one. I'll post more later.

Geoff Kracoe
    Atlanta, GA
  • jborden8jborden8 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Geoff Kracoe,

We had the exact sae thing happen to our durango. The 5.2 threw a rod and we needed a new engine. Cost about 5,000 and the dealership would not help at all even though the owners aunt works at our law firm. They even changed the oil then a few days later said it needed the oil changed and we told them they had just changed it! That dealer is terrible. We weill never buy another chrysler product and got rid of the peice of crap they call a durango. By the way the dealership is Sam Lehman in Peoria Illinios, they now own the bmw place to, but STAYYYY AWAYYYYY!!!
  • taasstaass Member Posts: 40
    Well, my Durango is 4 years and a month old with 56,000 miles on it. The emmissions test (TX inspection) showed like-new numbers. I've had a few problems with the Durango, but nothing I wouldn't expect or that has left me stranded. Here's the list:

1. Ball joints. The front right ball joint was bad enough to warrant replacement at 39,000 miles. Miffed, I had both sides replaced and judiciously greas'em up at every oil change (3Kmi) regardless of driving conditions. Cost - $530 dealer replacement.

2. Thermostat gasket leak. I smelled this for over a year and had to keep adding coolant every 5000 miles or so but could never find the leak. Then, when adjusting the throttle valve cable to the transmission I happened to peer down at the intake manifold and noticed encrusted coolant residue. It took less than 45 minutes to replace WITHOUT having to remove the alternator bracket as the svc manual described. Just some dexterous fingers and a little diligence. Cost - $6 for coolant and gasket.

3. RWAL (Rear wheel anti-lock sensor). This checked out at 49,000 miles. Besides the ABS and BRAKE MILs, the speedometer would not register a reading below 20 mph. Above 20 mph the speedo would shoot up to the correct reading. It was a simple diagnosis with the factory service manual and the part was only 30 bucks. Installation was a cinch. Cost - $33 for RWAL sensor.

I just developed a small ATF drip at the transmission/transfer case mating surface. There is a cast notch below one of the mounting bolts to the transmission where the fluid is coming from. I may have overfilled the tranny, but, I plan on having the fluid changed soon anyway and will see if the leak goes away with proper fluid level. I'm pretty sure it's not the transfer case.

There was ONE other unscheduled service, but it was my fault. I cross threaded the caliper slid pin into the steering knuckle last summer when I changed the front brake pads. I'll never make that mistake again. Fortunately DC addressed that problem with a Steering Knuckle repair kit. It consists of 25 helicoils, drill bit, tap. . everything needed for the repair in a slick black case. UNfortunately it cost me $137 at the dealership and I couldn't find this odd metric size helicoil kit ANYWHERE. Hard lesson to learn, and the Durango sat on jackstands in the driveway for 3 days before I found the solution. I went in looking for a new steering knuckle (after exhausting the salvage yards) and came out with this fix. Now, it sits in my toolbox never to be used again, hopefully. Anyone interested?

So, besides the ball joints, the Durango has been a great vehicle to own. In my foolish youth I had thought about adding a nitrous system to turn my 5.9 into a wicked "sleeper," but after such a clean history I'd hate to sacrifice any reliability by subjecting the drivetrain to uneeded stresses. I still may drop in some headers, but am pleased with every aspect of my Durango.

If I would change anything, it would probably be the primitive torsion bar front suspension. I drove a Toyota 4 Runner and really like the way it is sprung/damped. Some may disagree with me, I wish my Durango rode like that.

OK, I've rambled enough, but I felt like sharing a mostly happy story instead of a horror flick. Laters.
    I am at 53,000 miles on my D and decided to have the 60,000 mile service done. I called my dealer and he told me they wanted $600.00 to do it!! After I regained my composure, I asked what it entailed to justify such a price. It involves:

changing spark plugs
    changing the PCV valve
    changing the air filter
    changing oil and filter
    changing tranny fluid and filters

Checking:

brakes
    hoses
    wires
    exhaust

Now I decided, most of the stuff I can do myself. I changed the plugs, and PCV valve. I have an Intense Performance Stage II air filter so I cleaned and replaced it. I went to my oil guy and had the oil changed but I will let the dealer service the tranny. All in all I spent about $240.00 total. I hate to slam the dealers but GEEEEZZZ. What a difference in cost. My D run's like new and I am going to keep the maintanence done myself.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Does anybody know if the 4.7 with the 5 speed transmission is available? I see on the Dodge web site that it has "late" availability - whatever that means!

Any insights would be appreciated!

Gill
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • jborden8jborden8 Member Posts: 2
    The durango is not a reliable product. Ours had terrible problems and at all three of the other people we know that have one have had problems. Since then I have replaced it with a lexus gs 430, a woman down the street replaced her 6 month old durango with a ford explorer, and a friend has replaced theirs with a toyota sequioa. The durangos' are terrible vehicles, I am sorry to all that own one,but BEWARE!!!!
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Panel gaps are so big, I can release the spare tire while I pump gas!!! I'm sick of seeing it......
    Sorry about your problems. I have had my D for 2 years come June. I have had absolutely no problems out of her. I have neughbors here in Ft. Washington (7) that also have Durangos and they have no issues. We get together at neighborhood functions and compare notes. Durango's are great vehicles. I have just turned 53,000 last week and she is humming like a champ. An Explorer is a worse choice. Just check the reviews done by other mag's.

Toyota1: I would really like to see that one.
  • mr_zangmr_zang Member Posts: 1
    I had a PERFECT 2000 R/T and traded it for a 2002 because of incentives and warranty. I got SCREWED! At 300 miles the cup holder (an after thought)fell out every time I removed my pop. At 700 miles the ABS pump locked in a loop - had to special order a control module because of security system and am still waiting. At 800 miles the front blower stopped. At 863 it started again so Dodge says there is no problem with it. I HATE THE NEW ONE!!! I paid over $40K (with warranty) and was told after only 26 days that it was worth $26.5 K as a trade in for a different vehicle at the same dealership! (nice resale huh?) They changed the door panels so the suede goes to the top of the door and your arm destroys it if you rest your arm on the door. The dual zone climate control system is the CHEAP version not the version like the Jeep Ltd and ES Caravans got last year! The power is WAY down from my 2000 R/T and still below the 300M (6 cyl). They took out the manual lever for the transfer case and now you have to trust more electronics - It was nice to not have to depend on servos (just in case). This vehicle is over 3 years behind other vehicles Chrysler is currently producing yet is the second most expensive they sell! What's with it? They charge $40 just for a 'prep kit' for a DVD system that will cost you another $1700 (min) and since it is a dealer installed option isn't covered by any of the vehicle warranties (not factory). Save your money on this option and go to Target and get a portable unit for $499 and velcro it to the console for the kids to watch (bigger screen and 1/4 the cost). If someone from Dodge reads this and can - step up to the plate and make things right with the unfortunate few like me that have trusted in the Dodge name and come out with a load of cr@p! I was told by Dodge that they wouldn't do anything but I could check out lemon laws and go through litigation to get my problems resolved - good customer service - NOT!!!
  • jleamanjleaman Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a NEW 2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus. I have been enticed by 2 different dealers offering me $1,500 and $2,500 under dealer invoice. How do I determine what the real dealer invoice amount is in South Central PA?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    $31,020 is the invoice for the 4x4 version, plus $600 for the Destination Charge plus options, tt&l. The True Market Value tool will give you invoice pricing for a model, plus options (Drill down to the Price with Options button).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jamesw9jamesw9 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 SLT PLUS AWD 4.7 DURANGO WITH 32,000 MILES ON IT. I LOVE THE VEHICLE EXCEPT FOR THE 4 WHEEL ABS SYSTEM. DURING PANIC STOPS, THE ABS BECOMES SO INTRUSIVE, THAT DURING BRAKING, IF THE ROAD IS NOT PERFECTLY FLAT AND CLEAN, I AND MY WIFE HAVE ALMOST LOST CONTROL. IT'S AS IF THE ABS CONTROLLER CANNOT MODULATE THE BRAKES FAST ENOUGH, AND THE REAR WHEELS LOCKUP. AND THE NOISE IS DISTRESSING. AFTER 4 TRIPS TO THE DEALER, SPOKE WITH THE FACTORY REP TODAY WHO SAID THIS IS ACCEPTABLE AND THE WAY THE SYSTEM WORKS. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS, AND HAS ANYONE FOUND A CURE, BECAUSE IF I CANT, I WONT KEEP THE TRUCK, EVEN THOUGH MY WIFE AND I LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    The brakes has probably been one of the largest complaints I've got about this truck. I've got a 2000 w/o 4 wheel ABS/Discs. So whatever you're getting for braking performance is better than what I've got. No, I don't tailgate and I don't brake hard unless I have to, but I do expect my brakes to perform when I need them. The brakes are undersized and lower channel ABS systems that was probably the first area that Dodge chose to cut corners. IMO big mistake. The situation only gets worse when you have passengers and/or cargo in the truck. The brakes that aren't ABS on mine lock up and the other ones freak under the load. Sorry I can't offer you any more help.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • tjhubtjhub Member Posts: 1
    First of all, let me say that I,m sure like any vehicle manufactured by anyone, there are good ones and bad ones. My problem is that I got a really bad one! It's a 2000 SLT Plus loaded with a 4.7. I loved this thing...then it fell apart. The A/C has NEVER worked since the day I drove it off the lot!! At 25k miles I have had failures on: 4wd shifter fell out, passenger pwr window stopped working, driver pwr window switch failed, electronic ignition noisey (heavy ticking noise), vent through center console fell off, rear hatch wouldn't lock, brake rotors warped (brake pads stated at 60-70% $270 quote - told them to stuff it), 3 of 4 doors had stick on trim gasket fall off, one keyless remote eats batteries every 4 months but is rarely used, and last but not least, the air conditioner has been in for repair 12 times and to this date it does not work!!! Did I get a lemon?
    My D just turned 56,000 miles and I have had NO problems. This has been a very reliable vehicle for me. It will turn 2 years in June and I am very satisfied with it.
    To keep your D's lasting longer maintenance wise? I have switched all my fluids to synthetic. And my filters are Amsoil filters. I have read that they are better in overall quality than others. I do my own tune-ups also. After having my wife's truck serviced I realized that the DEALER was not doing all the maintenance he was supposed to be doing. So, I took matters into my own hands and do the RSM (Regular Scheduled Maintenance) myself.
    I'm envious of being able to work on your own truck. I have neither the tools nor the technical understanding to do it. I take mine into my mechanic for regular maintenance. I have neither switched to synthetic nor changed brands of filters. I trust my mechanic, talk about what he is going to do and use, and generally go with his recommendations. I don't figure to have mine much longer than 100,000 miles which should be in another couple of years. I've currently got 62,000 miles on a 2000. I got it used with 32,000 after 1 year (a salesmans car, all highway miles). Mine has not been trouble free but has served me relatively well.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • mberky99mberky99 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody hows it going? I have a 2000 SLT all wheel drive DD with 30700 miles. It has been a great suv. my only concern was my steering. it seems to have a real bad oversteer and it feels like the intermediate steering shaft is loose. it has a thumping feeling when going over bumps. the only reason i think it is this is because i use to have a chevy silverado and i had 3 shafts put in it before i got rid of it for the DD. anybody have this problem?
    mberky: I know of no problems with my steering. The only front end problem I have is the squeaking from the front bushings. They get a little worn and start to make that noise. They are covered under warranty so I will have the dealer do it.

porknbeans: Working on my own cars has been a hobby of mine for years. I really started to get into it during high school. It really is not that hard if you have a little ability and a GOOD MANUAL. >8^D>
    The regular maintenance is pretty straight forward if you read the owner manual. I have done this type of work on all my previous cars which incleded SAAB's and VW's. My D is also a 2000 and this weekend I turned 57,000 miles. My D will be 2 in June. 100,000 miles will be here before I know it. I like to keep my cars for a long time because in a way I like the challange and the great satisfaction of keeping a car in good running condition for as long as possible. I got rid of both my SAAB's for 2 SUV's. My wife has the Ford Explorer Sport 2 door and of course my Durango. These 2 trucks I can say are the most heavy duty vehicles I have owned and I am confident in thier longevity. ( Especially the way I baby them ). It is said that everyone needs a hobby. Besides that it is great on a Saturday to get away from the wifes "Honey Do" list because, "Honey I have to maintain the vehicles".
    My bushings squeak all the time. I've had to replace the shocks already but didn't know that the bushings were covered under warranty. I've just been asking to have them lubed when I take it in for an oil change. This lasts for awhile and then it starts again.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • pat_npat_n Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for an SUV to be a combination family hauler and tow vehicle, towing 5500+ pounds several times a year, including over mountain passes.

I have been looking seriously at Durangos, but am extremely alarmed at reports of "sludge buildup" engine failures and brakes/ABS so bad they cause rear-end crashes.

My question- were either of these problems fixed for the 2001 model year? I am interested in a 2001 R/T, but have all but eliminated Durangos from our search due to the problem reports, particularly the brakes. I will not put my family in a dangerous vehicle.

Looking for 2001/2002 owners who have had experience with either of these problems, or other serious issues.

Also, we need this vehicle to go for 150K miles or more. Is that realistic given Dodge's current quality standards?

Thanks for your time-
    I have a 2000 that just turned 57,000 miles this weekend. I have had no problems with it. 4.7 motor, strong tranny. I use it as a daily driver as well as a vacation vehicle(long miles) and enjoy it totally. I looked at other SUV's and knew that this one was for me. You should go to www.durangoclub.com and check out that web site also. I have my truck all synthed out so I have much less a worry about fluid and longevity issues. I am shooting to get 300,000 or more out of it. I keep my vehicles forever it seems and I am pretty sure this truck will go the distance. The sludge is in the 5.2 liter motors. Something with the oil galleries. Get the 4.7 or if alot of towing go with the 5.9 motor. Use synthetics and you can't go wrong. My brakes are fine. I just changed the front pads and the rotors are great. Rears are good also. As far as rear endings go, PEOPLE FOLLOW TO CLOSELY. I have noticed this alot lately.

porknbeans:
    They did remove the ability to lube the chassis in the 2000 models. There is no way to do a lube on bushings any more. The squeak is not bad. I only notice it on speed bumps and similar things. I just spray on some lube and it lasts for a couple of weeks then goes away. I called the dealer and bushings are covered under warranty. Mine will be changed next week.
  • flaquiflaqui Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a Durango this year. But can someone explain to me what is the difference between the Sport model and the XLT. As well as do all of the models contain seating for 7 passengers. Also how many miles can you usually drive with a full tank of gas?
    I have a 2000 with the 5.9 liter. I get slightly over 13 mpg in mixed city/hwy. On the interstate at speeds of 70-75 using cruise control I will get 14mpg. If I have a tail wind maybe I'll get 15mpg :) I did get 17mpg (once) and I've also gone down as far as 10mpg (once). I'm looking for a gas station every 300 miles +/-. From what I've heard the 4.7 liter is better on gas and gives almost the exact same performance. I've also heard that it is a smoother engine using technology that is more up to date.

The third row seat is an option and is not standard. Hope this helps.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    I have gone a total of 428 miles on 1 tank of gas. 4.7litre motor. That was going on a road trip. There is no XLT Durango. The SLT is the one I have I don't like alot of useless bell and whistles. To me it is just more stuff to go wrong that will cost a arm and a leg to fix later. This is a good package but no leather and fancy radio. The top is the SLT+. All the bells and whistles. The other that I would have bought that is new for the D is the SXT. I saw one on the dealers lot and had a close-up. Nice 2-tone paint. Good interior but it uses a different type of cloth seat. There is no 3rd seat standard either. It is on option. It is a good looking vehicle though.
    Who has done offroading in your trucks? I have done some in the good weather and in snow and I have to say the truck performed great!!! Anyone else with some offroad or foul weather driving experiences?
  • mcarlson2mcarlson2 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Durango has 21,000 miles on it and I have noticed an oil leak. I'm not sure where it is from but was wondering if there was an issue with the 2000 Durango that I should be worried about. I also have noticed a high pitch coming from the engine when driving and assumed it was a belt but once again, wondering if anyone has any advice. The vehicle is going in to the dealer tomorrow to find out what's wrong with it- but I'm not completely convinced that the dealer will be completely honest with me. Thanks in advance.
    What engine do you have? If you have an oil leak it is neccessary to know where it is coming from. I have a 2000 with the 4.7. I have never had any oil leaks or other leaks for that matter. I have not heard of any except with the 5.2 engines. It is a gasket for the intake manifold. I think that this is on a TSB if I am correct.
  • mcarlson2mcarlson2 Member Posts: 2
    The engine is a 4.7. One other thing regarding the oil was when I brought the vehicle in for an oil change I found out that I had contaminated oil- in that there was a foam substance in the oil. I think this is from water in the oil and the fact that the vehicle is driven a very short distance each day as the commute to work is less than 2 miles and the engine never gets completely warmed up. Unfortunately, this vehicle is very new to me as we bought it last month and I've been driving our other vehicle as my commute is quite a bit longer so I don't know how long there has been an oil leak or even where the leak is from as I haven’t had time to really take a look. I guess you could say I really don’t know much about the Durango/Dodge as I haven’t really had any time to do anything to it except wash the outside and my previous vehicle was an F-250 so the two don't compare. Fortunately / Unfortunately for me, tax season is over so now I have a huge list of things to do but since the Durango is still under warranty I figured I would see what the "experts" say.
    I don't know of any problems with the oil leak. Having contaminated oil, especially with a foamy substance in it make me think that there is a seal or gasket gone bad somewhere (pretty obvious, huh). If you feel uncomfortable about the mechanic you're taking it too see if there is another in your area. Since you list only USA as the place you live in your profile, I know there are at least a couple of dealers near you. :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    The oil fill tube on the 4.7 is notorious for giving the impression that there is a problem. It is plastic and next to the radiator. If the goop is there, there is not a problem, but most people will clean it out whenever they check the oil. Short runs and wet spring weather will also contribute to the goop. The 2001 got a baffle to help reduce this buidup.
  • cpbillcpbill Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SLT+ and the climate control system never seemed to work correctly. The air from the vents is always warmer than the air outside and when running the air conditioner, it never seems cold enough. I took it to the dealer and the service manager said all dodge trucks have poor air conditioning systems!!!
    does any one else have these problems and were they corrected by dodge?
    I remember something about a problem with this part in the AC. Your dealer/service rep should be aware of it. I don't know of any TSB's on it but think there is one.
  • awardlawawardlaw Member Posts: 2
    I purchase a '01 Durango about 2 months ago. It has a 4.7, 4 x 2. I have noticed that the passenger seat has sideways movement when brakes are applied. The dealership has put new seat runners in and it still moves. I was told that this is common for Durango's? Has anyone had this problem. I have also noticed that when I am sitting a red light that the rpm's reduce considerably(as if the engine were going to cut off). Has anyone had this problem, or know what is wrong. Or maybe this is normal?????
    The seat problem is unfortunately a common problem with the D. I have heard of many with it. As for the low idle, once the truck has been driven I think it is 500+ miles then the rpm's will drop a little. It is designed this way for fuel economy. It should not however stall on you.
  • socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    Any info re: the possibilty of the new Hemi for the Durango ??
  • cpbillcpbill Member Posts: 2
    To ywilson, what is an H valve?
    socal007: I have heard that there is a hemi 4.7 coming out. It has been in the DC news outlets. As for when, I don't know exactly.

cpbill: The H valve is part of the A?C system. I have read about troubles with it in Durangos on the Durango club website. It does everything from getting clogged to cracked at times. I have not had the trouble that others have had. If you would like more info go to www.durangoclub.com and they have all the info you want in the archives.
  • slalsdslalsd Member Posts: 1
    Currently knocking around the idea of either purchasing the SUV "Durango" or Toyota's pick-up "Tacoma" I realize I should be comparing "dakota" to "Tacoma" or "Durango" to "4runner", but These are my price ranges. Any input would be welcome from any angle.
    I have looked at all of your choices. My opinion is a little biased because I have a Durango. However, think of what your needs are. You may need the open back of a pickup for work or recreation reasons. I chose the D because it satisfied what I needed it for. Do you offroad? Do you need 4x4? Just check out what you need and what really floats your boat and go for it. The D is strong, can haul alot and is a good long trip driver. That's my humble opinion of course. I like the closed in section in case I have to haul more people. They can sit in the third row seating and not get wet or cold or whatever.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    The new hemi is a 345 HP 5.7 that will replace the 5.9. It will debut in the new 2500/3500 pickups and then will eventually be offered in the next generation Durango. They is also supposed to be a 270 HP 4.7 being offered in the JGC.

Don't be too quick to dimiss the Dakota. It all depends on what your needs are, but the Quad cab is a really nice family truck. The Tacoma may lack some room in the rear seat in comparison.
    I agree totally. The Dakota is a great vehicle. I almost bought one instead of the D but I was won over by the D. Think of the dakota as like the Sporttrac. The Dakota does have more inside room and is a nice family hauler. I wonder if they can swap my present 4.7 for a new 270 HP 4.7? I would like that!!!!
  • i_snyderi_snyder Member Posts: 3
    I have a ‘99 D SLT Plus with the towing package and trying to tow my 3,500 lbs. boat. I took a vacation one month later to pick up my boat and on the way back is when I first noticed the problem.
    The problem I have been having is that the engine has a knocking sound, like a chain hitting it, and the check engine light flashes every once in awhile. The check engine light flashing had started happening more often in the summer of 2000 when I was towing my boat on the highway and had to pull off the highway and became worse in the summer of 2001. The first time I mentioned this problem to the dealer in 1999, they said that they couldn’t recreate the problem and that I should put a higher Octane fuel in it. I then tried putting 93 octane in the D and it didn’t seem to be as bad but it was still there. I was putting 87 octane in it since the owners manual stated that I should use 87 and that using a “premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance”. The next year (2000) the problem was still there and getting worse. The dealer then told me that they were waiting for a program for the engine. I then would call the dealer multiple times to see if they had received the program and every time they were still waiting for it.
    In 2001 It got much worse, so I took it to the dealer and they told me that they couldn’t find anything wrong or couldn’t even recreate the problem. I then, being frustrated, towed my boat in to the dealer and took a Technician for a ride. The Tech. was able to feel & hear the knocking and was even able to see the Check Engine light come on. When we got back to the Dealership he was able to read an error code that said Cylinder #8 was misfiring. They were unable to take the D in at that time so they scheduled a new time to take it in. When I took it in they couldn’t read any error code, like they always told me in the past even though the check engine light had come on, so they said that this time they had a program and were able to upgrade the software in the D. The day after I got it back, I left for Vacation. While towing the boat there, the knocking and Check Engine light was still a factor. When I was on my way home, the Check Engine light came on, stayed on and I lost power. The light had stayed on for two days. I was getting frustrated with this so I spoke with someone at another dealer but By the time the dealer was able to take the Durango in, the Check Engine light had gone off. The dealer then looked at it and couldn’t find any error codes. I told the Tech. about what the other dealer had done and said about the D. and he looked over the same things and checked some other things but still couldn’t find anything wrong.
    I started speaking directly to “DiamlerChrysler Motors Corporation National Customer Relations” and to the dealer to try and solve the problem. Chrysler told me that a Chrysler Engineer would speak with the dealer. Nothing was ever solved.
    I filed for the Arbitration law and they denied it saying that the problem wouldn’t cause death. If they can’t figure out what the problem is, how do they know it won’t cause a fatality? Spending $31,000 on a truck to tow, I would expect that I could tow my boat. I am now having the problem while accelerating without towing.
    Sorry so long, but I would appreciate some help if anyone knows anything about this problem..
This discussion has been closed.