Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Lighting and Electrical Problems

Comments

• wrenchdavewrenchdave Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Ranger XLT The door locks work sometimes and other times they move only slightly when the switch is pushed. I've checked the grounds under the hood. Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
  • ricarguyricarguy Member Posts: 3
    my 94 ranger was running good but now i step on the gas and it stubles and bogs out for a few seconds and slowly goes away and runs ok but it has cut out on the highway going 65 70 i have to put it in neutral and rev and it comes back to life i drop back into drive and it goes again and cuts out again but it only does that at highway speed the the bogging out is every time i start the car and is worse when its cold . i changed the fuel filter plugs wires and air filter but it is still there !!! could it be the trottle sensor or air/idle sensor ??? please help
  • i8uwithalimei8uwithalime Member Posts: 3
    My truck started with a problem with the lights dimming out under acceleration. Also, gauge needles moving (vibration effect) while driving. All fuses are good and cannot see any shorts behind cluster. Battery and alternator were tested to be good. Finally, the lights did not come on for a day or two and then suddenly they just started to work again. I since replaced the light switch. Any ideas on the gauges and lights dimming. I know there must be a short somewhere.

Thank You! :confuse:
    I have the same problem right now. All, the gauges bounce around while driving. Headlights dim under acceleration. Alternator and batt tested good too. I remember in some older cars I had in the past it was always the alternator. Im assuming it could still be even if it tests good as I believe the diodes are inside. I might try that next. If you have discovered anything new please let me know when you get this post ok.

Thank You and good luck to you.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Just saw your post, I see it's about 3 weeks old.

But, wild guesses - a plugged up fuel filter - oh, never mind I see you've changed that.

Or a failing fuel pump. Get a pressure gauge and screw into the fitting on the fuel line under the hood. Find out somewhere what the pressure should be. I think it probably needs about 45 pounds of pressure.
    Well, you replied to a 3 year old post - doubt that guy is still waiting around for an answer.

With ribbed belts, they don't slip often. But if you've got oil or something on the belt driving the alternator, that might be the problem.
    My truck started with a problem with the lights dimming out under acceleration. Also, gauge needles going crazy while driving. (vibration effect). All fuses are good and cannot see any shorts behind cluster. Battery and alternator were tested to be good. I even sprayed all contacts with contact cleaner. Finally, the lights did not come on for a day or two and then suddenly they just started to work again. I since replaced the light switch. Any ideas on the gauges and lights dimming out while driving? Otherwise truck runs fine.
  • jmacz20jmacz20 Member Posts: 1
    Parki n g lights on 99 Ranger stay on with switch off. Replaced switch-still can't turn lights off.Any suggesttions? THANKS!
    Bad multi-switch (turn signal,dimmer etc stalk)?
  • webb24webb24 Member Posts: 1
    my husband has a 2003 ford ranger, he got a new stereo and a repair man volunteered to put it in for him, while the truck was running he cut the stereo wires instead of using a wiring harness since then the speedometer quit working and the windows wont work and the windshield wipers wont work. the next night on the way to work the truck lights got dim and the truck stopped..... we replaced the alternator and had a few blown fuses and fixed them... that still didn't fix the windows speedometer or windshield wipers and the truck wont run for a long period of time there is juice gong into the alternator but none coming out... any ideas of what the problem could be?
  • jac55jac55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ranger Pick Up, when I start the truck the Air Bag light in the dash will blink 2x then 7x, this will occur 4 or 5x then stay on constant. Any Idea's out there?
  • robertallenrobertallen Member Posts: 1
    dont know where to begin, i recently bought used ford ranger from private seller. after driving around i notice electrical issues, when heater is turned on engine surges,when blinkers are on work fine until brake is applied then they flash rapidly, tried hooking up computer diagnostic shows error like its not connected,any ideas or should i just take it in to repair shop? thanks
  • teeroy325teeroy325 Member Posts: 1
    My trucks hesitates when it starts then the radio comes on like the battery was disconnected with no presets. Everything else works fine, the charing gauge shows fine, the lights are not dim. Any ideas?

Thank you
  • jpiaseckjpiaseck Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with my 1999 range; however, it is limited to the lighting circuit. When I step on the brakes, the left turn signal is illuminated. When the left turn signal is on, it functions correctly (blinks normally) until I step on the brake. Then the left turn signal illuminates same as the brake lights and no longer blinks.

The truck has not been used in two weeks and I just checked the blinkers to confirm my description was correct. To my surprise, EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE. This is frustrating. I should mention that I replaced the multifuntion switch on the steering column, however, this did not solve the problem initially.

I know your post is a couple of months old, however, were you able to fix the problem?
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    I have a 1990 Ranger. I have been getting an electrical-burning type smell which seeps into the cabin even if I don't have the fan/blower on for the ventilation system. I have done a thorough search under the hood, looking for plastic in contact with something hot, melting, etc, nothing. I do get a pretty good whiff of the smell when I initially pop the hood but then it dissipates rather quickly even though the engine is still running. All fluid levels are correct. The odor was present on my most recent trip of only 1 mile. Thinking back, this odor may have started just about the time I replace the temperature sensor (runs the temp gauge in the cabin), but that is just a guess/maybe a coincidence? Could the odor be coming from the alternator--something about to give out internally? ANY suggestion are welcomed. THANKS.
  • charlie2769charlie2769 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2001 ranger. if you have a solution please pass it on to me. I'm going nuts trying to figure it out, I've hooked it up to a code reader but there's no fault code.
  • tdegrandtdegrand Member Posts: 1
    I got one for you guys. My lights were working fine up to about 2 weeks ago then something funny happened. When I apply my brakes, either in park or while driving, the passenger side front and rear directional lights come on. Also, when I have the right directional on, the drivers side brake light flashes. Weird, huh?! So when I make a right turn, I apply the brakes and it cancels the flashing of the directionals and holds them steady.

It sounds like the wires are possibly exposed and touching somewhere. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this. Instead of taking it to a shop where they'll charge $100/hr, I turn to you guys for advice. Thanks much!
  • sealanubissealanubis Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    So I've read through a few pages on this forum, and I haven't noticed any responses to the electrical problem on the Ford Rangers.

I have an 07 Ford Ranger, my battery light started coming on, which then turned into losing all dash lights around 2k rpms. I took it to Autozone the battery and alternator test fine. The truck went about a week to a week and a half without anything happening again.

Driving home tonight the battery light started flickering again and when it did all the lights dash and headlights got brighter. If I turn the dome light on it sounds like the inside fuse panel on the passenger side is clicking.

what could this be? Any suggestions would be great.

Anubis
    My 99 Ranger had the same problem as the previous comment. Turn on the right turn signal and step on the brake and the blinker stops with the turn signal on but faded.
    An on-line mechanic told me the problem was in the multi function switch. I replaced it but there was no improvement. Next I replaced the brake switch. From the wiring diagram, it appeared to be a potential source of the short. No effect. Finallly I changed the turn signal flasher relay. It still did not solve the problem, however, a week later the problem disappeared and the electronics have been working without issue since. This is hard to explain what actually fixed the problem.
  • fordcustsrvcfordcustsrvc Member Posts: 27
    sealanubis,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I am sorry your Ranger is not performing to your expectation. We recommend that your truck be inspected by a Ford dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms it may be experiencing. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. As you mentioned, the problem may be intermittent, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. Your next step is to make an appointment with your servicing dealership to have your vehicle diagnosed. Please contact the Customer Relations Center at 800-392-3673, if further assistance is needed. Thank you.

Seni
    Ford Customer Service Division
  • gardenflogardenflo Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 splash ford ranger. and my dashboard lights and tailights are now out and the fuses are good. where to go next.
  • gardenflogardenflo Member Posts: 2
    i didnt look at the fuses under the hood. I found a blown fuse the next day thanks. for the input.
  • jarredgjarredg Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 1994 ford Ranger and the drivers side power locks and windows are not working, the power mirror adjuster works but not the locks or windows. I am at a complete loss as where to start.
  • bigrandybigrandy Member Posts: 1
    1995 Ranger, the brake lights functions properly until the head lights are turned on and then the right rear brake light is dead.
  • itforfunitforfun Member Posts: 1
    When the problem shows up (it is intermittent) my passenger side headlight goes dim, the dashboard turn signal indicator dimly lights and the cruise control does not work. If I turn off the head lights and just have the driving lights on, the cruise control works unless I use the right turn signal in which case the cruise control disengages, but when the turn signal is turned off the cruise control works and the memory of the last speed works. Any ideas?
  • todd75todd75 Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem suddenly with my 1994 ford ranger

the locks work and the side mirrow work as well does the passenger side window but driver side stop working

did you get any info
    My problem was limited to the brake light and turn signal on the passanger side. I ended up replacing the multifunction switch on the steering column and turn signal relay. It did not solve the problem immediately; however, in a short period of time, (24 hours) everything started working and it continues to work to this day. I suspect a poor ground somewhere in the system. I speculate that all the movement under the instrument panel and in the column finally moved something to make a good ground. Very frustrating but now everything is working.

Did I tell you about the $700 I had to spend on the A/C or the recent problem where the brake line behind the gas tank rusted through. The worst part was the rear brakes were so rusted, that I could not loosed the bleeder valves. I had to replace both brake pistons. Fun owning an old truck!
  • ranger22dnagerranger22dnager Member Posts: 1
    so got a question i have a 1994 ford ranger 2wd 2.3 litre and it is turning over but not starting... Would that be eletric ignition or my coil packs?
    I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and all the top end gaskets. The timing marks are spot on so it is not my timing. It is not getting any spark... I need help cause i am stumped it seems like this thing has ghosts in it hahaha!
  • jerry57jerry57 Member Posts: 7
    check the crank sensor on crank shaft,its alot cheaper than them coil packs
  • lona1964lona1964 Member Posts: 2
    My ranger won't start on occasion, narrowed battery, fuel pump and starter out, have a feeling electrical issues, had to disconnect remote start, worked good for a bit, anti theft light still flashing, LOL it allways seems to happen on weekends, would not start for 2 days, now went out and it fired right up. The engine is trying to kick in but just does not catch, really need help please!
    edited October 2011
    It might help (not to me, but for others) if you told what year and motor.

My wild guess - fuel pump relay and/or corrision where relay plugs in.
    Next WAG, weak fuel pump. Can you hear pump running? Running pump mean relay is ok.
    Maybe a plugged up fuel filter.

Reread your note. I think remote starts and add-on security systems are just a problem waiting to happen. Think about it, this is cut into factory wiring. If the added wiring fails, or the little black box associated with this ad-on fail, it's going to cause grief.
  • lona1964lona1964 Member Posts: 2
    1999 Ford ranger 4x4, four lt engine.
    pump running,checked relay,recent tune up.
    remote start disconnected, but theft light still flashes and think it is factory.
  • w650w650 Member Posts: 1
    I'd also like to disable the ignition key alarm, or maybe disable entire alarm. (That I want to eliminate the alarm does not mean that I don't use the seat belts!)
    From the conditions you are describing, I would be very suspicious about the transponder in your key or the device in the ignitiion switch that reads the code in the transponder key. I don't really know how the anti theft system works, however, I suspect the circuit disables the ignition coils but allows the starter to turn over. I believe this because the starter is a high current device and it is easier to disable the coils.
    I would start diagnoising this problem by talking to the service department at the local ford dealer to see if a failed transponder key will allow the engine to turn over and not start. I might also ask if they have ever heard of an intermitant anti theft (transponder) circuit.

There are ways to bypass the transponder anti-theft circuit in the ranger. You can buy kits if you are electrically inclined. An alternative would be to have a lock smith install a bypass key. My ranger is getting old. If I start to have trouble with the transponder key, I will bypass. Who would want to steal an old truck anyway! Good luck.
  • jsizzle26jsizzle26 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I started having a problem where i would insert the key and hear spme subtle shocking sounds, while all the lights on the dash flicker intermittently. you attempt to turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. Not so much as an attempt to start.
    I have a brand new battery. I disconnected the power to the battery and put it back after a few seconds, and it worked fine. Then a few weeks later the same thing happened. Disconnecting the battery fixed the problem again.
    Last night, while driving all electronics in the car flickered twice, (headlights, dash lights, radio, everything.)
    Then all of a sudden the truck just dies. All power went out and the engine quit. It was like a complete blackout. The emergency flashers would not come on, head and tail lights were out. It was completely dead. Luckily i coasted to a stop sign, jumped out pulled off the power cable at the battery, put it back and then got in the truck, and it started right up.
    When it came on i noticed the temperature gage showed the truck overheating. I was able to make it another block to my house, where i noticed the water reservoir was empty.
    I do not know if these problems are related, as i had the radatior replaced a recently, after a rock took out my old one. So that could just be an issue related to the replacement.
    The electrical problems scare me. Anyone know where to start to diagnose the issue?
  • 2000franger992000franger99 Member Posts: 1
    im having the same issue but my dome light wont come on, and my 4x4 doesnt engage, i was told it was fuses, or the relay, but not to sure
  • kev1234kev1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 ranger and the brake lights dont work. I have tail lights, reverse light and turn signals but no brake lights. Also the light on the cab doesnt work either. I have tried replacing the fuses that could be the problem. That solves the problem for about a day and then the brake lights dont work anymore. The other day i replaced the brake light switch and that worked for a few days but then the brake lights stopped working. Bulbs are ok and all fuses are good. Only problem with the fuses is that they spark a little when plugged in, normal or not? Would it be a bad ground or maybe a split in the harness that leads to the stop switch? I really need help! Its for a girl in college and she drives about 100 miles each way each weekend! Just want her safe!
  • thehallfamily1thehallfamily1 Member Posts: 1
    simple fix, I have the same truck cost me a 800 trying to figure it out till i met another 94 ranger owner with a 4 cylinder, ANSWER...... sounds dumb but fill her with supreme guarentee she will start. i tried everything mine would turn over but not start put supreme gas in and what do you know starts every time
  • ledr1ledr1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 4/4 5 speed 93 ranger 3L all gears dropped out going down the road fourth works any one have an idea what could be wrong. or just replace and be don with it. and does anyone have one for sale near wichita ks. :sick:
  • vj94fordrangervj94fordranger Member Posts: 2
    did you try your ignition control module its sometimes mounted on your distributor mine is mounted behind myheadlights on driver side.
  • vj94fordrangervj94fordranger Member Posts: 2
    my 94 3.0 ranger will run but loses everything while driving but doesnt turn completely off already had alternator and battery checked new plugs new wires new distibutor and cap in time new egr new mass air flow new throttle position idle air valve intake gasket air filter, and only mod is cold air intake.
  • 08dngrrngrfx408dngrrngrfx4 Member Posts: 1
    My '08 4.0 Fx4 has been having similar issues lately. Just put a new Optima yellow top in. I lose the radio, ABS light comes on, then the guages fail from right to left (in that order). Truck continues to run normally and the headlights still work as well as the a/c blower. Try and crank it after shutting down, no joy. Of course.... 1,000mi out of warranty.
  • hotrod18wheelhotrod18wheel Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 ranger and when i turn on lights the washer/wipers come on and horn blows???? then i parked it about 1230 and at 415 the battery was dead?
    Just a wild guess - the multi switch is bad. This is the switch at the base of the 'stalk' that controls several things - turn signals, wipers, etc. Horn blowing is strange. Maybe you had a major meltdown inside the steering column?
  • pricecatpricecat Member Posts: 1
    Our 2010 Ranger with 18K miles caught fire while we were driving. There was a "match-like" smell and the flames were under the hood when we got the truck stopped and got out. The entire extended cab burnt up and most of the bed before the fire dept arrived.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/ which is the Nat. Highway Transportation Safety Admin website. It has areas where people reports problems with their autos. Look for your Ranger.

You should also report your vehicle fire to them. If people don't report this stuff, then recalls will never be done. Somewhere on the site it will also tell you how to make a report.

Are you still under warranty? If so, get Ford involved in this.
  • dean68dean68 Member Posts: 1
    Have you received an answer to this dilemma? I have a 1996 Ranger that's doing this plus the window washer starts for no reason. I had the multi-switch replaced for $215.00 w/o success. I've ordered a wiper motor but I don't know if that's going to solve the problem.
  • afhuddafhudd Member Posts: 2
    Just recently, I turned on the lights, and the windshield wipers came on spraying the cleaner also in full force! The only solution I had was to turn the lights off and hurry home.
    Have had numerous problem with the light on the horn starts blowing and now this.
    Engine lights frequently comes on and disconnect the batter take that light off ( when it first came on, I took it to the dealer, warranty had just expired, and cost me over $200 for some kind of part and before I got home, the light was back on. So not wanting to deal with the Ford Service dept.
    Noticing that others have had these problems also, does anyone know of a solution?
  • wiegmanwiegman Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble with my 1992 Ford Ranger lights. I recently noticed that the dash lights didn't work. Further investigation revealed that the tail lights, front/rear parking lights, & reverse lights also do not work. The front headlights, dome light, brake and blinkers all work when in use. I checked all fuses (#1, 3, 11, & 13) that have anything to do with the lights, and they are all good. I replaced the dash mounted light switch, but it made no difference. I checked all light bulbs and they appear to be fine.

Is there a wire terminal or bus somewhere under the daskh or hood that may be shorted out? My Haynes manual i sno help here! I can't figure this out.

Dutch