Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen GTI Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pheimespheimes Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I bought my brand new '07 GTI two weeks ago and just now realized that my Daytime Running Lights are not working. Before I take it to the dealer, does anyone have a suggestion? I checked the fuses, but can't find anything. It's pretty annoying, I have 400 miles on the car and I already have stuff checked out. Oh, yeah a rubber seal on my passenger door needs to be replaced as well ... :mad:
  • banibani Member Posts: 39
    I had exactly the same problem. The sport seats killed my lower back and no amount of fiddling with lumbar adjustment or any other adjustment helped. The seats are really hard. The sport seats in the Subaru STI and the Mazdaspeed6 are far more comfortable.

The GTI sport seats are also super, super narrow. And even with the super side bolstering everyone in the car was sliding all over the place in cornering due to the slippery leather.

I might check out the non-sport seats in the GTI to see if they're any better, probably in cloth so they're not so freaking slippery.
  • vegasproblemsvegasproblems Member Posts: 9
    Hondas are not without fault. I am getting ride of a 2005 V6 Accord with 12000 miles on it. Due to repairs thus far....2 transmissions, 3 radios, AC, Speakers, Windshield rattles and leaks. So on and on.
    what does "getting ride" mean?
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    Means...let someone else deal with that junk.
  • rppaulrppaul Member Posts: 4
    vw have a problem with reliability - i bought my 2006 GTI 2.0L turbo 8 months ago - put 28,000 miles driving to work on interstates. GTI handles very well and is a joy to drive BUT i was informed by the dealer that the 2.0L turbo engine has carbonization problems in the United States (our fuel is not that well refined compared with europe). i was advised to use mid=grade in wintertime. I mix mine 50/50 reg/super because every station i talked to does not sell much of mid-grade and with etanol (absorbs water) in it i don't want water problems on top of carbon problems. Has anyone else experienced similar problem ?? will appreciate any feedback, paul
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Is GTI require 91 Octane? If that is so, 50/50 of 87 & 93 is not right. Should be 1 part of 87 to 2 parts of 93.
    It better to use name brand foreign gas like Shell or BP to avoid carbonization problem.
    Tnx for info BUT i was using Shell and it did carbonize -
    also dealer said mid-grade (mid-grade is 89 octane) so my 50/50 mixture is 1 point over 89. Engine is rated at 91, but why does a dealer want 89 in wintertime - ignition computers should adjust mixture in cold temperatures UNLESS the computers have a bug which causes carbonization (incomplete combustion of fuel) this to me is very troubling especially when the car runs great w/o power loss and handles excellently
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Have they clean your fuel system? I don't know why they suggest you use 89 ISO 91 due to cold temperatures. May be some folks here like Shipo will be more qualified to answer your question.
    My 2004 GLI (VR6) requires 91, I used 93 for the first 22,000 miles, now I use 91 by mixing 87 & 93 myself for 6,000 miles due to larger price differential between 87 & 93 gas .So far my engine has no problem.
  • boardheadboardhead Member Posts: 4
    wondering about the WOT theory under dynamic (IE accelerating conditions) state. under steady state, high throttle load ,I understand, is most efficient. but when accelerating, not sure. old school carburetors would squirt more fuel to speed up the process, but dont know injector theory.
    Are we seeking to avoid spooling up the turbo?? What is the source of your understanding if you dont mind? reading car mags or something more technical?? Would love the chance to speak w the VW Engineers directly eh?
    my qualifications: MechEngineer and former Jet engine test engineer
  • parkinsonparkinson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Golf GTI 1.8 T. I suddenly seem to have no power to the near side rear passenger door, no electric window or central locking, although it did it 2 days ago then suddenly worked again the next day. Now it dont work again, does anyone have any ideas???
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    Yeah, seems like a short.

Try posting on the VW Jetta thread (same components). Also swing by www.vwvortex.com Lots of active posters that should be able to help you out.
  • jlimp17jlimp17 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 gti 1.8T. does anyone know if the temperature section of the dash is suppossed to be lit up. my car is still under warranty. i don't remember if it was lit up when i first got it. and its been a year and i can't remember.
  • jacksgtijacksgti Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 GTI coupe and I'm starting to wish that I ordered the newer version with 4/5 doors. It has been along time since I have owned a coupe and I had forgoten how dificult it is to stow something on the back seat and retrieve it later. I had also forgoten that the doors stick out and make exiting in a crowded parking lot. Yesterday I opened the drivers door in a moderate wind and nearly lost control of the door.

Those things only happen on rare occasions, what I find really bothersome is EVERY time I get in the car I have contort my body to reach the seatbelt which is way behind me due to the longer door.

Yes, I should have known all of these things when I ordered the car. (none were available for inspection at my local dealer) I'm going through all of this in case someone else is in the same situation. Just more things to think about.
  • porsche91420porsche91420 Member Posts: 1
    I looked at a 1998 GTI (4 cylinder). Fifth gear didn't work and the ABS, airbag, and brake lights were on. The car has 83000 miles and seemed to run well and stop fine. The body was straight and CarFAX showed no previous wrecks, etc. The car dealer is in the process of diagnosing the issues with the ABS, airbag, and brake lights. The price is about $3500. We are capable of changing the transmission, clutch, etc.

Should we even consider this car?
  • boardheadboardhead Member Posts: 4
    Doors r a pain the &*(), rubber seals freeze and rip pieces off in the winter, dont want to close easily as they are somewhat air tight...
    PLUS: 2 dr vs 4 dr: the fold fwd mechanism broke right after the 2 yr wty, so now it will NOT fold fwd, necessitating opeing the hatch. oh yeah the lock mech on the hatch broke too!! so it is not mechanically locked when the car thinks its locked!!!
  • kiddoljskiddoljs Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys i am 17 years old and i have a nissan pathfinder currently. I have been having problems and would like to get a new car that beets the great 12mpg's i get. I also would like the car to be manual with some power. From the homework and visits to the dealerships i have found the 2007 gti 4 door DSG vw to be the most attractive to me. It is a little on the expensive side but i am willing to spend the extra for the power and reliability (if any).\
    would
    I have had may discussion with my grandpa about this car and he thinks that this is a impractical buy for me. I do not agree. It is hard to tell because i am 17 and want to drive fast.

I have had bad experiences with used cars soo i am wondering if this car would suit my needs.

I know the reliability is hard to guess but i have heard a lot of good and a little bad but only from the ones that just want to fu** up the hole company of VW.

the main reason is that my moms boyfriend is the manager of a vw dealership in toledo, ohio. Soo i could get this car idk about 3-4 under sticker. please give me your feedback and tell me what to buy.. I am open for anything..
  • mheinsmheins Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2006 2-door manual GTI since June of last year, and I love nearly everything about it, especially the power. It gets lots better gas mileage than my SUV did (naturally :-)). I was actually planning to spend more money on a car, but when I test drove the GTI I liked it so much, I cancelled my test drives on the other cars and bought it. I didn't start off to get a hatchback, but I find it very handy for loading/unloading stuff. I haven't had the car that long, but so far there haven't been any reliability problems. Good luck on your decision.
  • dhinmidhinmi Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 GTI w/ the 12v VR6 (purchased new off the dealer floor in 2002) and I do love the car, but...

I've replaced the HEI coil pack 3 times in 68K miles (under an extended warranty, thankfully - otherwise it would have been $800 a pop) and VWoA was dismissive and frankly downright rude when I called to apprise them of this lamentable repair record. Also, several of the interior parts (driver's seat latch, center console clasp, et al) have broken off, but I attribute that to "normal" wear and tear.

In sum, a great car to drive, but given my personal experience and the recent VW repair reputation, I'd highly recommend an extended warranty.
  • nardis88nardis88 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone figured out how to disable the drl's on the new 07 GTI? Boarding a ferry at night, they blind the ferry workers and one notch on the emergency brake does the trick but then I have to listen to the hand brake warning alarm. Also it's easy to forget turning the lights on at night as the drl's provide same light as headlights. Usually the darkened dash tips me off eventually. Also it would be nice to ride with only fog lights once in a while. What a nuisance on an otherwise classy little ride.
  • fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    "Has anyone figured out how to disable the drl's on the new 07 GTI?"

You need a VAG-COM to do it yourself or if the people at your dealership are nice they could do it for you.
  • cyber_thugcyber_thug Member Posts: 3
    my GTI is leaking antifreeze, i know whats the problem, but my question is would it cause any problems since i've been driving it for a while and the (STOP) keeps blinking on my dashboard and the (TEMP) sign too. i know what u're thinking, why the hell i don't get it fixed, well literary (i am BROKE). but the engine have sounds weired latley...and by the way the car only has 86k on it, it's in a pretty good shape.
  • jitteryjoe_246jitteryjoe_246 Member Posts: 49
    Well...

If enough antifreeze leaks out there won't be enough to cool your engine. If your engine overheats the engine may seize (the hot metal internal to the engine has expanded past mechanical tolerances and prevent movement).

Running an engine without coolant is one of the most effective ways to destroy it. If the engine seizes it will most likely be unrepairable. If your temp gauge reads way hot, you're begging for your car to die.

If you can't get it fixed buy some antifreeze and keep the coolant levels to the point where you can at least see some in the resevour tank. Check your manual for the type of antifreeze and antifreeze water mix ratio. It's important to use antifreeze instead of just plain water in the winter so your coolant lines don't freeze.

If the engine has been sounding wierd, it could be singing it's death song - especially if it sounds raspy, or higher pitched.

If your radiator or heater core is leaking you can usually find them in junk yards cheap. If you can't take it to a mechanic find a friend or relative that does auto repair. Worst comes to worst post on craigslist for help.
  • ktripperktripper Member Posts: 1
    I have also recently replaced my heater coil and had the water pump changed as well. ('00 VR6) Now I have a clicking/gravel noise when I accelerate. I think it is the water pump or the fan belt. I love the car, but don't know what the mech's have done to it.

PS. I've also replaced the center console latch 2x and a couple of the center plastic hubs on the wheels.
  • razortbrazortb Member Posts: 8
    Am i making a mistake buying a 07 gti sounds like VW has issues with warranties and reliability? :confuse:
  • denringerdenringer Member Posts: 1
    what is up with this ? just a fluke? anyone else out there? besides that I have loved this car so far -first major repair. is this the future for me?
  • a_ja_j Member Posts: 3
    Went in to grab a sandwich. 5 minutes later I came out and the engine would not crank over at all. The radio and lights came on, the red display was also on, but nothing on the gauges. Called VW roadside, the first guy tried to give it a jumpstart, no success. Then when the tow truck arrived after about an hour, the car started without any hesitation. Dropped off at the dealer today. Will report back once I get it back. Did anybody have similar issues?
  • beachbum3beachbum3 Member Posts: 1
    So I'm driving down the interstate at about 65 mph, fifth gear, and I come up to a very gradual hill on a bridge. I CANNOT accelerate over the hill, literally my car has no more power to put out. I've had this car for almost three years now, and I've never not had power available. Right after that, the temp peaks out. I manage to make it over the bridge, and depress the clutch witch cools it down. The rest of the way to my house I have to accelerate in gear than take it out of gear to cool it down. It's in the shop right now. Does anyone have any suggestions to what it might be? Here are a few of my thoughts (A) something with the fuel metering is jacked up causing the mixture to either be too lean or rich (B) the water pump isn't working properly (but then why would have no power?) (C) something is messed with the exhaust (I got rear-ended a year ago, and I swear that thing has never been right since) causing excessive back pressure in the system. Anyone have any issues like this before?
    I got the car back. They did not find anything. They applied a software update as part of a recall. Hope that fixes it.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    what is up with this ? just a fluke? anyone else out there? besides that I have loved this car so far -first major repair. is this the future for me?

My 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T has 92,000 miles on it, and I had the belt/waterpump/tensioner changed at 73,000 miles. The only noticeable item during that change was that the waterpump's plastic impeller was beginning to deteriorate (which can cause timing belt-related problems).

Some questions for you:

1) Did you change your oil every 5000 miles?
    2) Did you use a VW 502.00 spec motor oil? (Hint: all of the oils on that list are synthetic)
    Nope. It would not start again yesterday - Sunday. On Monday, right before the tow truck arrived, it started up fine. Anybody else with electrical problems?
  • waz69waz69 Member Posts: 3
    the car locks fine but when i open it the lock slams straight down again so have to pull the door handle quick as i turn the key , then carnt lift the door pin till the key is in the ignition then it lifts think it might be the central locking relay but dont know which 1 it is any ideas or any1 had the same and can put me strait , cheers
    my gti used to cut out but eventualy start again , it was the coil pack that was on its way out and once replaced totaly sorted the problem anfter many hrs of head scratching , hope this helps any1 with simlar probs
  • vegasproblemsvegasproblems Member Posts: 9
    I bought one in October and LOVE it. I have had no problems at all with it. It drives great. The only issue is people want to see it all the time. :)

True there were issues in the past with VW's (I had a 97 jetta with lots of problems). They seem to have worked this out pulled the manufactutring back to Germany etc.

Any one car can be a lemon. I had a dealer buy back a 06 honda for that very reason.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    for those who have been taking their mkV gti's to the dealer,

how much is service running you? (oil changes/tire rotations)

what about scheduled serivce? (20k,30k etc)

thanks mucho!
    i took it only for 40,000 mi and it cost me $382. oil ch costs $52 whether at the dealer or mechanic (its mainly the cost of the synthetic oil 5w-40 @ $6.50/qt). pls note that i drive around 1000 mi/week so car gets good exercise !!! hope this helps - had the car 2006 gti mk V manual 6, for 14 months, put on 50,000 miles and the maintenence cost was 4 cents/mi (which included snow tires and rims @ $780) - in comparison, fuel costs ran at 8.8 cents/mile
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Hello.

I am a very proud owner of a 2005 1.8T GTI (5-speed). I currently have 20000 miles on my car and have been a stickler for oil changes (VW 502.00) at 5000 mile intervals. But I am going to be taking a road trip across the u.s. and was thinking about putting about 6000 highway miles in the car. basically, i am going to be driving to california from connecticut and back. do you think it is ok to go 6000 miles?
    thanks for the help.
    it is your decision to make - but be careful of who you choose in CA to change your oil. i drive 800-900 miles a week 90% of it at high and sustained speed (no city driving for me)- i have been changing my synthetic oil 5w-40 at 6-7000 intervals without dire effects for 50,000 miles. word of caution - keep an eye on the oil level (i top it off when it gets 1/2 qt down) also, my 2006 GTI 2L turbo burns more oil when the oil is not clean (i.e. after 4-5000 miles after change) hope this helps --- have a nice trip, paul
    thanks much appreciated enjoy your gti! ;)
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the advice, Paul. I think I will change my oil after 6000 miles for this trip but will be keeping an eye on the oil level as well.
  • sueswimsueswim Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2001 gti. If you park it for more than 5 minutes but less than an hour and it's hot, then it won't start. What year is your and did you fix it?
    hi mines a 1992 mk3 all my elec probs we down to the coil pack had a new 1 fitted and no probs since touch wood . if yours is the same would recomend search ebay or onlne for 1 and get some one with a bi of common sence to fit it for you if you carnt do it yourself , coz i int know wat was up with the car the garage stung me £192 + vat for a £40 coil pack and 1 hrs faf , hope this helps
  • jondc212jondc212 Member Posts: 15
    hey so i am thinking of getting a 2007 GTI. i am a current owner of a Honda accord with 167,000 miles and going.

But i want a faster, fun, and FAST again car to drive around.

Being a Honda owner for the past 8 years it has been really good to me, besides freaking people who try to jack my car.

Will the GTI give me the same reliability with less mechanical problems through many years??

please experienced VW owners share your love and hate...
    not likely.
    not as uber reliable as honda, but all mkV's (jetta, rabbit, gti) have been worlds better reliability-wise then their predeccesors.

dont ever ask anyone to share their hate...do you really want to get anywhere with your question?
  • astormalastormal Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the 2007 gti exactly a month ago. My heart was set on a Honda civic si coupe until a friend told me that the vw rabbit was the way to go. I test drove the rabbit/gti and fell in love with the gti (big mistake) should have stayed focused on my first choice (honda). My brand new 1 month old car will randomly not start, the battery gets a boost and I'm back on track. I've taken it to the shop and am still awaiting a response. So far, they can't replicate the problem, hence they can not figure why my brand new car is not starting. Since you own an acura, you probably haven't had to deal with the headaches. Not sure how lucky you will be if you switch over to VW. Good luck, and if you want a car that will not leave you stranded and cause you more headaches than it is worth, do your research.
    I feel your pain. Did they ever figure out what the problem was. I have my car in the shop and they may need a little help in figuring out was woring. I've missed one day of work, and was late one day within the same week. In addition, I've had the car for only one month. What to do?
    What could it be. Why would my battery die without a reason, how come VW Service can't figure it out and why would they be willing to give me the car back if they can't figure out what the problem is if I evidently have a problem. I only had the car for a month and have been having the problem for the past week. The battery has died on me 3x. First time it was overnight, 2nd time I was at the airport dropping off my little sis, left the hazard lights on while unloading and giving her hugs goodbye (10 minutes). Then I load everyone back in the car and the car engine does not want to start. Luckily I hailed a good samaritan who gave me a boost. Any one have a similiar problem. I have a 2007 VW GTI, recently purchased on June 18th.
    i just visited that website; hilarious!

some actual legitamate problems, and then people who don't realize the rabbit is build in germany and not brazil. Losers.

anyway. astormal, why don't you replace the battery? and see if this keeps happening? maybe thats why they can't replicate the problem?