Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Funny how folks feel that a first year vehicle (CX-9) from a company new to this type of vehicle (Mazda) can all of a sudden be compared to the 7+ year legacy of strong public acceptance of the MDX.

The Mazda MIGHT be a fine vehicle. Let's see in 3-4 years where it stands. We know how the MDX fares.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    This is not a rocket science. Both are just car-based wagons with big tires / clearance. Both need to have a minivan's utility but not to look like one. If it's built in Japan, the quality is going to be good. So what do you worry about other than people having trust in Mazda?
    ;)
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    M-I-A-T-A

This type vehicle was new to Mazda.
  • meateatermeateater Member Posts: 123
    Funny how folks feel that a first year vehicle (CX-9) from a company new to this type of vehicle (Mazda) can all of a sudden be compared to the 7+ year legacy of strong public acceptance of the MDX.

The Mazda MIGHT be a fine vehicle. Let's see in 3-4 years where it stands. We know how the MDX fares.

Exactamundo.
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    Girlfriend, soon to be fiancee' has been lusting after the Infiniti FX35 for a few years.... she's ready to buy but we want to make sure that is indeed the right choice in the mid-sized car based SUV market.... Well, yesterday we go to the infiniti dealership, drive it, it's nice... we've driven it before. Connected to the INfiniti dealer is an Acura dealer. We had looked at the 2007 MDX stuff online and just didnt like the look of the front of the vehicle...... went over and looked at it and it blew us away. That front end takes some getting used too but everything else about the vehicle blows away the Infiniti. We'll look at the new Lincoln MKX when it arrives on showrooms in a few weeks, sorta curious about the GMC Acadia...as the Buick Enclave won't be out until June....... but the MDX is the shiznit. The technology, the interior, the engine... the drive. Loved it..... bad thing is that they are not budging off sticker... which is 44 and change for the one she wants.

Also looked at BMW X3.. too small and she likes to sit up a bit higher. I dont think the Lincoln MKX is going to woo us at all. I think it is going to come down to the MDX and CX9.
  • rp64rp64 Member Posts: 13
    Absolutely right to consider future value and reliability. You can assume everything may be fine but this is a brand new engine and transmission. I'd like to see things shake out a bit before committing to this vehicle.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    M-I-A-T-A
    This type vehicle was new to Mazda.

2 time Miata owner here.

Miatas have been incredibly reliable. My two have been pretty much bulletproof (outside of regular maintenance / tires, in 9 years of ownership, I've only replaced the battery & spark plug wires). But, even with the Miata, the first year they came out ('90), they had a fairly big problem with the crankshaft.

That was remedied shortly thereafter, but it does go to show that even with possibly the most reliable car (it is extremely simple), there were still first year issues.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    audia8q- do you order the CX-9's for your store? I want to shoot my self with all of these possible configurations. It's tough to gauge what is going to be popular.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Hopefully the CX-9 will have better luck with their transmission than Acura did with theirs...

Avi...yeah I order all the cars. I'm being a bit conservative with the CX-9 orders. I'm leaning towards the low end. I don't have many people who will pay $39K for a Mazda....Im also waiting to see how the MKX does. If that takes off, I'll adjust my Mazda orders accordingly.
    We have been doing the same. I have ordered Sports and Tourings. Not too many GT's yet. And I'm going crazy with the RSES, either. Once they start selling, I will have a better idea what to order.
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    OK, my dealer told me my CX-9 was built in Hiroshima during Week One in December BUT, there will be a 6-month delayed introduction of the powered liftgate (PLG). We took a quick look at the Saturn Outlook and another long look at the Pacifica and concluded that the Mazda is still the one to beat...on paper. The Outlook seemed humongous and too "plasticy" and, equipped similarly, is several thousand more than the Mazda. The Pacifica has a cramped third row and very little storage when that row is up, though it's several thousand dollars cheaper. (The upcoming Buick Enclace, a similar CUV will be in Acura MDX territory.) We're sticking with the CX-9.
    Was your vehicle actually built, but without the PLG?
    My first two now have VIN's. I have yet to hear of the PLG issue, though.
    Do those two have PLG?
    The engine currently makes 263hp without the aid of direct injection or variable valve timing.

Actually, the 3.5L engine in the CX-9 does have VVT
  • blindbatblindbat Member Posts: 15
    The Hyundai Veracruz might be a better alternative.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    There is some delay with the PLG so all orders that include the PLG have been changed to reflect the PLG delete...They didn't want to delay the vehicle so the packages don't include PLG for now.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Is that something that Mazda added because I was under the assumption that Ford was not using VVT.
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
  • olenolen Member Posts: 1
    For the cx-7, in the spec. section, Edmunds says there is an interior air filter, but for the cx-9 there is no mention?? Surely, the new cx-9 has one??
    And, at the Ford site, the new Edge has what is called a Particulate Air Filter, which is included as an option package? Again, Edmunds makes no ref. to interior air filter and is not included in any option when trying to price out!
    I notice, mistakes like these are never found when reading specs. & pricing options for any of the Japanese vehicles.
    I do love Edmunds.com, but sometimes its very frustrating here.
    olen
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't see it listed at Kelley either. Maybe you can look at the MazdaUSA.com site if you can get beyond the Flash stuff and see if they have a cabin air filter listed anywhere. I can't get past the colors page there to get to the specs.
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    On the Mazda Canada site, in the comparison to other vehicles function it is listed that the GT model has a "HVAC air filter". So yes, the CX9 has it.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I think most cars, especially over 25K, have cabin air filters these days...so you're safe.
    I know the CX-9 has front seats that recline but do the seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows recline? We took a look at the Saturn Outlook: the 2nd row reclines only a little. The 3rd row is fixed.
    The CX-9 has been awarded the "Top Editors Pick" for SUV's under $35K.

That's good news, however, the car wont be here for another month and a half!
    Where?

The Coral Leader will be unloading in Tacoma on 12/27 and in California about 1/5.
    The East Coast.

I saw that the Coral Leader left on the 12th for North America making 2 stops in Wash. and Cali.

You have to figure in as well, that we will have to wait until there is decent supply before they will be shipped to dealers. Also figure in any last minute things that need to be addressed at the port, such as installing accessories.

At best, I do not think I will see any CX-9's until late January.
  • rbaughrbaugh Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know if the CX-9 will be on the floor and accesible at the Detroit show?
    First Production CX-9's unloaded at the Port of Tacoma on December 26th.

Pictures at link title
  • njdbonjnjdbonj Member Posts: 11
    I am wondering from a safety standpoint, being that the CX-9 comes with roll stability control, dynamic stability control, traction control, and electronic brakeforce distribution, is there any purpose to purchasing AWD? Is it true as well that the offered AWD is not full time? Seems like a waste of 1K to me. Right or wrong.
    If it is the same as the CX-7, the AWD is 100% FWD until slip is detected. Then it can go up to 50/50. The CX-7 has no differential lock so it's really an on-road system.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    My current car has AWD and stability control, and to tell the truth I find the stability controlt to be the more useful safety feature. I had once tested out the stability control by doing donuts in a wet parking lot: with control on, the car would actively cut throttle and start braking appropriate wheels to eliminate fishtailing; with control off, the car would swing around and fishtail easily, even though I have AWD. So AWD won't help if you start fishtailing, which is a common result of over-correcting.

I have found AWD to be useful in snowy or very rainy weather, where it seems I have a little more stability than my wife's Geo Prism when going in a straight line. Otherwise, AWD is useful if you're taking corners on a track at the limits of the car, which I'm sure no one will do in a CX-9.

So I'm still on the fence with the AWD. Probably will wait until the car mags report back on it.
    Is it true as well that the offered AWD is not full time? Seems like a waste of 1K to me. Right or wrong.

This is true, the AWD system is not full time, but, rather alert full time. Rear wheels will engage when slippage is dectected. If you live in an area that gets snow, or lots of rain, your 1K could be a life saving investment.

It is the same AWD system in the CX-7, which just won a comparo between the Santa-Fe and RAV4 in off road situations. (Edmunds.com comparo)
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Fully agree with you. Stability control is more important than AWD for safety. I own a Volvo XC90 with AWD and Stability control and a Tucson FWD with stability control. The Tucson wont accelerate as well on snow, but that's about it.
  • fromsffromsf Member Posts: 19
    After reading reviews and specs about CX-9, decided to put off my Toyota Sienna XLE Limited buy for a while. I wanted to test drive CX-9 before making decision.

Currently I am having a Civic and Corolla for last ten years, not happy with Civic due to high maintenance cost but pretty happy with Corolla. I am want to be happy with CX-9 too. Is Mazda as reliable as Toyota? Also how does Mazda retains resale value compared to Toyota?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is Mazda as reliable as Toyota? Also how does Mazda retains resale value compared to Toyota?

No, and no. Especially since the first year of any model can have more issues, and the Sienna's been around for a while. But Mazdas are more than reliable enough (see publications like Consumer Reports) for most buyers (e.g. better than the German marques). Just don't expect it to be at the level of Toyota.

As far as resale value, while it won't hold it as well, you have to factor in that the initial acquisition price should be good. E.g. heavy discounts, rebates, etc. after the model's been established.
    Again, can't compare brands. Got to compare models. Avalon is less reliable than say Mazda3, but how it affects CX-9/Sienna is beyond me. Here's an actual brand reliability based on actual insurance statistics in Europe where Mazda is 2nd best right after Honda and better than Toyota.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-report.aspx?NA=217350&EL=3142812
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Actually, Consumer Reports has the Avalon as more reliable than the Mazda3's (taken as a whole line). That's more impressive given how more complex an Avalon is (lot more things to go wrong, which is also the case for a Sienna or CX-9).

The Sienna's up to "better than average" after its initial model year, but still isn't at the top level of reliability. So there's room to beat it. I doubt if the CX-9 will in the first year.

If you look at brand reliability based on CR scores, Toyota beats Mazda significantly. Which is remarkable given that the Toyota model range is much larger In the U.S. than Mazda's.

In that UK survey you linked to, Toyota has not only several more models in the UK, but they're much more complex SUV's (Mazda only sells one truck). So Toyota finishing 3rd place behind Mazda's 2nd doesn't mean as much.

If we compare models with relatively similar levels of complexity (e.g. don't extrapolate Mazda3's to CX-9's), the less-sophisticated Tribute started out with more/less average reliability and then improved. The Mazda5 started out as "average" and will doubtless improve.

That's why I think the new CX-9 in its first model year should be more than adequate for most buyers. Way better than a European brand. Just don't expect the same level of reliability you'd get with a mature Sienna. Subsequent model years of the CX-9 should show improvement.

Even Toyota and Honda have had some issues with their first-year models.

One thing that a potential CX-9 vs. Sienna buyer should be wary of, though. If you want AWD, the Sienna's AWD doesn't leave room for a spare tire. So it comes with run-flats. There's been a lot of negative comments about the run-flats.
    Thanks for excellent replies. What kind of issues generally appear in the first model year?

Couple of Bay Area dealers mentioned that they will have CX-9 in before mid-Jan. Can I expect lot of discounts and rebates at the very beginning itself? Or will they demand premium price?
    Toyota has had very numerous recalls as a late. Quality is not near what is used to be for them; however, that being said, it is still better than countless other brands. From what I've heard from alot of people, Toyota cars that are less complex do much better, like me little 1999 Camry LE 4-cyl.

Ford is betting the farm on this 3.5L V6, and to a certain extent, the platform that the CX-9 rides on so I don't really feel that there are going to be too many problems with it from a quality standpoint. Refinement, however, may be a different ballgame. The CX-9 certainly could receive significant upgrades especially with Ford bringing out an all new crossover aroun 2009.
    I would assume they would probably demand a premium price until there are enough of them to go around. CX-9's will probably be in limited supply for a while. With less places to shop around for what you want, it will be harder to get the dealer to budge.
    We ordered a loaded CX-9 on the day in October that the dealer got an order form from Mazda. We're paying $800 over invoice (but we had bought another car from the same dealer last year. That might be why he was willing to dicker...)

We're expecting it to arrive later this month! Full report to follow.

Jay
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    That's exactly why I'm waiting a few more months before making my final decision. But I do believe prices will start dropping a couple months after introduction--heck, even the new 2007 MDX can be had for almost $1k below MSRP, and people had been predicting that full retail prices would hold for one year or more (the MDX was introduced maybe 3 months or so ago).

There will be so many choices coming out that dealerships won't be able to command premium choices. I'm personally waiting for the CX-9/Veracruz/Enclave to come out.
    I am looking at fully loaded CX-9 and won't pay more than $150 over invoice. If I have to pay more that then I will buy a vehicle that is proven.

I did more research on CX-9 and found that major components are not Mazda's own stuff. Look at these: (you can consider these as pro also as cons)
    1. Engine is from Ford (Cyclone duratec35 used in Edge).
    2. Base platform is from Ford (CD3 Platform).
    3. 6 Speed Auto transmission is from Ford & GM joint innovation. (This transmission is used in new Ford models and I believe in GM Acadia and saturn outlook).

Also, Moonroof is not a base option even on high end Grand Touring and when you do a price compare in truedelta.com against 2007 MDX it's only 3K difference. MDX has lot better resale value and proven vehicle.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I won't argue Mazda vs. Acura here, but the MDX has only been on sale for a few months, and is therefore not exactly a "proven" vehicle.

You also might have to wait a while to pay $150 over invoice for either of those vehicles... The MDX seems to be a great value and is probably stealing RDX sales at this point. Seems like there are also a lot of posts from people that are waiting for the CX-9 to get here. So demand is liable to be high for both of these through the spring. Either way, good luck.
    You ALMOST got it right ;-)

1. True
    2. False - The CD3 (for "C/D-class") is a Ford global midsize car automobile platform. It was designed by Mazda in association with Ford and debuted with the Mazda Mazda6 sedan in early 2003
    3. False - Transmission is Japanese' Aisin.

#1 is the base V6 for most Ford's upcoming vehicles. It better be good.
    3. 6 Speed Auto transmission is from Ford & GM joint innovation. (This transmission is used in new Ford models and I believe in GM Acadia and saturn outlook).

That is incorrect, the transmission is built by Aisin, the same company that built tranny's for Toyota for many years.

The platform is from the Mazda6, designed by Mazda for Ford.

The only Ford part is the engine. The rest is Japanese, built in Japan.

Also, Moonroof is not a base option even on high end Grand Touring and when you do a price compare in truedelta.com against 2007 MDX it's only 3K difference. MDX has lot better resale value and proven vehicle.

While I will not argue that the MDX is a proven vehicle (also numerous proven tranny problems) and has good resale, the MDX starts at $40,665. A comparable equipped Mazda CX-9 GT with the Bose Audio and moon roof is $36,230. That is a $4,435 difference. If you want to pay the extra THOUSANDS, then you will get the extras that come with the Acura name.
    ... or you could have simply said: "I concur". :)
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Don't forget that Acura has 4 years bumper to bumper warranty, that's worth something.
    Powertrain warranty is not transferable though so don't buy a used Acura and expect the powertrain warranty to apply.