Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• neutro99neutro99 Member Posts: 8
    First, once the car is home (as opposed to sitting on the lot) do you find the long rear doors a hassle in a garage or parking lot?

No it is ok. Since the door has multiple (about 3) angle opennings, you can always find the best one to fit the space you have.
  • doc144doc144 Member Posts: 5
    I may change my sights from GT to Touring model if the 18" tires really do give a noticably smoother ride than the 20" ones. (has anyone been able to compare on real roads?) Most Gt features seem to be available as options. Two that are not I would love to hear some opinions on.
    1. Do HID headlights really improve vision on dark rainy nights? (one salesman said that regular headlights are better on a rainy night than HID's)
    2. Does the driver seat memory feature remember just seat position or mirrors also?
    I am test driving tomorrow and would love to hear some opinions beforehand. Thanks for everyones help.
  • bfeldstein1bfeldstein1 Member Posts: 14
    I was at a dealer yesterday, and he said that they had GTs with the power liftgate coming in early April.
  • cjazoomcjazoom Member Posts: 9
    I am very impressed with the HID's. I have noticed cars not coming into my lane in front of me (ready to cut me off) and I think it's because of the headlights. They are super bright....

It hasn't really rained much here in So. California so I would't be able to say how good they are in the rain.

Oh and the memory feature is only for the seat position, not the mirror :(
  • jg6jg6 Member Posts: 70
    More Salesman BS.

HIDs put out 2-3 times more light than halogens. They are the only thing to have if you do a lot of night driving, especially bad weather.
  • cason1cason1 Member Posts: 65
    I agree, HID's are far superior to any halogen headlight system, but don't buy the "HID's are basically lifetime bulbs" b.s. I've been reading various places on the net though. by 65K miles I had replaced both of my low beam bulbs at around $125/ bulb. Are they worth it? Yep, but paying over $100 for a bulb hurts.
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    I noticed you're from So Cal. Which dealer did you purchase your CX-9 from and what kind of deal did you get?
  • cjazoomcjazoom Member Posts: 9
    I got it at Patterson's Mazda in the city of Tustin.

I got an okay deal.....$1000.00 over invoice. So I paid $36,100 for my beautiful GT FWD, bose/navigation/camera, remote start, sirius. I love it!
  • southpaw75southpaw75 Member Posts: 33
    What does everyone do here? I really want the nav package in my CX-9 but my wife questions whether it is really necessary. I do kind of think of it as a toy that will come in handy from time to time but is it worth $2500 extra? I know the camera comes with which is nice too. But you can get a Tom Tom for so much less $$$$. What does everyone think?
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    I decided to pass on the nav system but opted for the rear seating entertainment package (RSES) instead, especially since the CX-9 was on the lot in the color and model that I liked. My 9yo daughter loves using the DVD with the headphones, and I enjoy listening to what ever I want to on the Bose stereo system. I figured if we ever decided to get a nav type system, I'd probably go with an aftermarket GPS instead. Since we got the RSES, we also couldn't get the moonroof package, but I haven't missed it so far...
  • southpaw75southpaw75 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the response. I'm glad you confirmed that the DVD is worth getting because my wife wants the moonroof. I've tried to convince her that our 8 year old will be entertained for hours with the DVD system and headphones while we can pump up the bose with whatever we want. She's coming around....
    I just can't decide on the nav. I want it but I can't help from thinking that it's not worth the extra cost.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I wonder if Mazda will somehow redesign the DVD system so that you can have a moonroof with it. I mean, come on, this is the Millenium, why in heck couldn't they design the CX-9 to have both?!
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Has anyone gotten the IPOD interface with their CX-9 or seen it or had the salesman talk about it?

It was announced last year:
    "Apple announced in August that General Motors would offer an iPod connectivity option for its entire line of vehicles, and Apple estimates that 70 percent of 2007 model year cars will feature iPod connectivity. In addition to GM, Ford and Mazda will also offer optional car stereo/CD players (also known as head units) that enable iPod owners to select songs and browse folders, with the first products due at the end of this year."

B.
  • rossdmrossdm Member Posts: 56
    Anyone have details on the differences between these two colors? It's hard to see much difference on Mazda's website...thanks, Dave
  • nikkibfitnikkibfit Member Posts: 2
    I own a liquid platinum CX-9, but while they were serving my car I borrowed a sparkling black mica version and it is a very nice! The brilliant black is a flat black...also very nice, but I think slightly harder to keep clean. The metallic in the paint makes it a bit more forgiving. I would buy the sparkling over the brilliant if it was me. I don't think you can go wrong with any of their colors---the white is even pretty. Good luck..I just love my car!
  • nikkibfitnikkibfit Member Posts: 2
    I bought the CX-9 last week with the NAV system and moonroof. I had wanted the Rear Entertainment for my two kids but could not get it with the moonroof (which is also important to me). I am happy with the NAV performance. We have a portable Garmin Street Pilot and I like my in dash system better than that one. When the voice gives you directions it is as if she is really a person talking to you. I like that alot, and it seems easy to use, but like any gaget understanding it takes time.

As for the DVD I am having it installed by the dealer's prefered aftermarket place. The problem with the CX-9 having a moonroof and factory DVD is that it WILL block your vision. My new 8.5 inch screen definately will block my rear view mirror. I've been told the head rest units are not available for a few more months on this car.
  • buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    I test drove a Sparkling Black Mica on a rare sunny day in Buffalo and from certain angles it almost has a dark green look to it. Not my choice but it is a nice color. I'm still trying to find a white touring myself. If anybody lives in NY state and knows of a white touring awd, black interior with the sunroof let me know!! I'm starting to get impatient. :)
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Not a Touring, but a GT AWD:

VIN: JM3TB38C370110193 $37,495*
    2007 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD $34,470
    PACKAGES & OPTIONS
    TOWING PACKAGE $525
    MOONROOF/BOSE $1,760
    COMPASS/AUTODIM MIRROR WITH HOMELINK $250
    ROOF RACK $250
    WHEEL LOCKS $40

JOHN HOLTZ MAZDA
    3955 WEST HENRIETTA ROAD
    ROCHESTER , NY 14623
    Phone: 585-334-0880
  • suomi8suomi8 Member Posts: 16
    I have been waiting for a GT AWD with the GT Assist Package and have been consistently checking Mazda's online inventory and today is the first day I have seen the GT Assist package (navigation + power liftgate) listed in available inventory! While the cars are probably still a week or two away from arriving at least they are listed and have a VIN number attached to them!!!
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    The dealer called me a few days ago and said they had a CX-9 with power liftgate on the lot and asked me to go and check it out... this is in northern California.
  • buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the info. I have seen that one, more "bells and whistles" then I'm looking for though. I found a touring on the web in the Albany area and one in Bedford Hills I believe it was. I'm assuming the dealer didn't want to go that far to get it when he did a locate the other day. Any body have an idea as to how far a dealer will go to get a vehicle? Just curious if there is a locate limit standard the dealers go by.
    Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means Mazda chat night. If you haven't joined us before, stop in tonight for a little fun with the group!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • remmibremmib Member Posts: 32
    Just spoke with the dealer, they said the MY2008 CX-9 will arrive July/Aug time frame, and that there is no difference from MY07 except $80-$90 increase in invoice price...
    Has anyone heard similar?
  • bonomojobonomojo Member Posts: 8
    Can someone please explain Mazda's advanced keyless entry a little more.

In particular, how difficult would it be to lock yourself out? Is it possible to do that?
    Does the CX-9 Navigation system capable of displaying in 3D? with landmarks? A co-worker has an Infiniti M-45 with a Nav that showed in 3D with landmarks that he put in. I thought that was cool.
    Read the owners manual on the Mazda website......
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I tried ... can't do it.
    jg6, you have to own a mazda to get access to the online owners manual.......
  • lexxm3lexxm3 Member Posts: 8
    The CX-9 nav does not have a 3D display mode. I do miss it a little relative to a Garmin Nuvi 660 3D display mode, but it's not that significant.

I am not sure what you mean by landmarks, but you can select/show pre-programmed points of interest (like parks, gas stations, restaraunts, ...), you can add/show your own "memory points" (like friend's addresses, etc.), and you can add/show "avoidance area" (i.e. area to be avoided in route calculations). I don't think any of these look cool, but they are functional and practical.

The CX-9 nav is a good system. I am much happier with it than I expected to be. Visually, it's not particularly refined (graphics are edgy, etc.) and for me at least, the voice recognition feature is unusable (doesn't recognize 90% of what I say even in completely quiet, stationary car), but everything else about it is really quite good. It gets the navigation job done very well and has a couple of well executed subtle features that really help (size-configurable avoidance areas work very well, ability to enter your own target speeds to 3 classes of roads to bias the routing algorithms, a very accurately-timed ding-dong a few feet before a turn, and a couple of good display modes).

Lexx
  • lexxm3lexxm3 Member Posts: 8
    Mazda Canada 2007 CX-9 Owner's Manual: http://www.mazda.ca/files/2007_CX-9_OM_E.pdf
    Mazda USA 2007 CX-9 Owner's Manual: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/2007_CX9_OM.pdf
    No you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hockeymommyhockeymommy Member Posts: 1
    Here's some general comments:
    1)I'm in Orange County, CA and pretty much doing city driving only. Gas mileage is a little above what was stated. 2)Pushed the 2nd row all the way back for BIG high school boys who car pool with us. Put down 3rd row of seats for added cargo space. The boys love the leg room for backpacks and legs and they're 6'3". 3) Love the liquid platinum color which on some days looks gray and on other days takes on a icy blue color depending on the sun and lighting. 4) Not too many CX7s seen around; more CX9s mostly in white. 5) The headlights are a lot better than halogen; I've even had people flash their brights at me because the amount of coverage is so broad. 6) I went from a minivan to this and I have to say it's hard getting used to the big 2nd row doors compared to my sliding doors in the minivan. But the rear door isn't that hard to close even though it is up higher from the ground and therefore harder to reach for kids which is something to think about since the newer versions aren't automatic. 7) The headrests aren't very comfortable; tilted a bit too forward for my taste. 8) Don't count on the bluetooth working with your cellphone. You'll probably have to "sync" it each time you get in the car. 9) Just got the Touring model since my kids are older and don't need to be entertained. Didn't need the navigation since I know where I'm going anyway. I do like the jack inside the console box for my cellphone though. 10) One of the knocks on the car is rear visibility. Again with big high school boys in the 2nd row of the car, it's not a problem.
    Love the car; love the looks it gets when I'm driving it; love that my teenagers and their friends love the car and think it's "cool"!!!
  • rickfiremanrickfireman Member Posts: 1
    Just found out about this site. Bought my CX-9 last Thursday with 21 miles on it!! We live in north Texas and the dealer found 4 CX-9's with my EXACT requirements in the U.S. One was in Detroit but was a managers demo car. The one he had shipped to me at no charge was in Denver Colorado.It took him four days to get it and bring it back, but he did it!! I would venture to say that if they wanted your money and/or business bad enough they will go where ever they have to to earn that customers business. Mine ws the Copper Red color. LOVE IT!!!!
    Oh, they charged you for the transportation.

They just hid it in the price!!!!!!!!
    So my dealer finally got the CX-9 I was waiting for in with the right color combo and the GT Assist package. However it does not have the Sirius Satellite Radio or roof rack. The dealer has told me that he can add both the satellite radio and the roof rack and it would look/function identically to the factory installed satellite radio and roof rack. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I am always leary of dealer installed add-ons and much prefer everything to be installed factory direct but I am also tired of waiting to get my CX-9.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    So my dealer finally got the CX-9 I was waiting for in with the right color combo and the GT Assist package. However it does not have the Sirius Satellite Radio or roof rack. The dealer has told me that he can add both the satellite radio and the roof rack and it would look/function identically to the factory installed satellite radio and roof rack. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I am always leary of dealer installed add-ons and much prefer everything to be installed factory direct but I am also tired of waiting to get my CX-9.
    Soumi8,

Mazda dealers use the same parts that are installed at the factory. The roof rack and the Sirius Radio are the EXACT same equipment they install at the factory. There is no difference. The only difference come in price. At the dealer you will pay labor(built into the price). The factory, there is not labor charge.

Do not be worried about the dealer installed equipment. If you buy a Mazda from a Mazda dealer, their accessories are the same that are used in the factory.
    Excellent, thanks a million for the answer Aviboy97!
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your CX-9!

Which dealer did you purchase your CX-9 from?
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    If you have on coming traffic flashing their lights, brights, at you than your lights might be out of alignment, it's a safety issue, take it to your dealer and have them rechecked. If they say they are ok than report it to the NTSA, I think thats what they are called. National Traffic Safety Association.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Headlight aim on the GT is adjustable by the driver.
    Thanks didn't know the lights are adjustable by the driver.
    $675 no thanks
  • lhagermanlhagerman Member Posts: 1
    Hi All! I'm very interested in purchasing a CX-9, however, it appears that there are no safety ratings/crash reports as of yet. I have a lot of children and safety reassurance is the only concern keeping me from moving forward. I test drove the Volvo XC90, but I like the CX-9 more for various reasons. How can I feel reassured on the safety issue? Thanks in advance...LH
  • cason1cason1 Member Posts: 65
    Yes, the CX-9 hasn't been tested yet, but it'll be pretty shocking if it doesn't get a 5-star rating...everything based off the Mazda6 platform is performing very well (Mazda6 and CX-7 are both 5-star vehicles).

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has picked the Edge and the Lincoln MKX both as "Top safety picks" and they have very similar architecture to the CX-9 other than being shorter than the CX-9.

The CX-9 will crash test fine.
  • mt5800mt5800 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I've been looking and looking for a vehicle that will adequately fit my 5 kids ages 12-1, but still be fun to drive. I've landed at the CX-9. My dealer in town only has a Sport version in stock, which I test drove, and loved. However, in doing a little research, I've read quite a few times that the 20 inch wheels on the Grand Touring allow you to feel the bumps in the road much more significantly. I would like to have my dealer find an AWD Grand Touring for me, because I like alot of the features it offers, like the auto rain wipers, signals on the mirrors, etc. I would be happy with the 18 inch wheels. I thought they looked very nice. So, I'm stuck. Has anyone test driven both the sport and the grand touring. Is there a noticeable difference in how much road jar you feel? I currently drive an 05 Honda Odyssey, which I'm going to keep, because it's paid for and you just can't find more room than it has for road trips with 5 kids. You can feel some road jar in the Odyssey, but it's not anything that bothers me. I just don't want to get a GT that drives significantly rougher than the Sport. Can anyone help me? My dealer won't trade for a GT with another dealer unless I make a deal with them.
    Here's my lease deal, BTW. I haven't signed anything yet.
    AWD GT with GT assist pkg, dvd, splash guards, cargo net and tow pkg.
    MSRP is 40,470
    Invoice is 37,257
    My lease will be based on a purchase price of 38,000
    24 months, 10,500 miles
    Residual of 67%
    Money factor of .00075
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to ask about that lease in Mazda CX-9: Lease Questions.

The money factor looks good (1.8% apr) but are you sure about the mileage? In 24 months a typical driver will put on 24,000 miles and you would end up with a whopping excess mileage penalty. (20 to 25 cents per mile times 13,500 miles ...!)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mt5800mt5800 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry. That's 10,500 miles each year. And I also will be driving my Odyssey on long trips.
  • dave00691dave00691 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me if the CX-9 has a/c vents for the 3rd row passengers don't see any in the pictures I've seen and am very curious about this especially living in the south where it can get very very hot.
    Don't have mine yet but looking at the owners manual online it shows no high vents in the 3rd row. The 3rd row gets 2nd row under seat vents that will flow cool air if the control is set to upper and floor.