Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    What type of music or news do you usually listen too? Mine is NPR and pop/rock.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Personally, I'd take a new anything (pathfinder) over a used anything (QX4).

The differences between the cars are subtle. I think the Qx4 has nicer leather, the wood steering wheel (I was suprised to find out it was fake), and anslightly softer suspension setting than the pathfinder. Not to say the Pathfinder is a superior vehicle. The dealership does make a big difference though. Most of the Nissan dealerhships in the NY area are dirtbags with horrible service departments. Infiniti on the other hand treats you like a human being when you purchase the vehicle and when it comes in for service. The I30 is a much nicer loaner car than a Sentra too;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Well here's the story.. I bought a new '02 Path LE loaded for $30,500 in March. Drove it for 2 months and felt the truck was everyhtning I wanted in a SUV. Well, I got a call from an Infiniti dealer I went to awhile back, he said they just got in QX4's and are discounting them substantially. So I went down there this weekend with my Path, looked at a brand new '02 4wd QX4 everything but heated seats and Navi, and realized that the extra features, more luxurious look and feel convinced me to trade the Path. So I got the QX4 for $32,500 and I will say it rides a little better than the Path. I don't know if it is the suspension or more sound insulation but the ride is quieter and tighter in the steering. There is however a creaking or rattle sound coming from somehwere in the dashboard. I'm going back to the dealer to see if they can track it down. Regardless, I also like, the upgraded leather, it is definitely a higher grade than the Path, also it has the HID Xexon headlights, power antenna, remote hatch release for the rear glass and fuel door mounted on the driver's door, better looking instrument gauges. Even the exterior body trim and paint is of better quality and more refined. The dealer experience is far above Nissan, much better customer service, they really look after you and make sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.

Overall I feel the extra $2000.00 for the QX4 (even the added $3K I lost on the trade-in for the Path) is more than worth it years down the road. BTW these figures are before TTL and fees, I figured they even out with either SUV.
  • ijustdoitijustdoit Member Posts: 2
    I think Crete may have put me over the edge. I just talked to the Infiniti dealer who will put me in a new 2002 QX4 fully loaded except for Nav system for $33,500. I assume I can get a loaded Path for $30,500. I did speak to a friend of a friend who was an Infiniti mechanic and now sells LandRovers. He told me that the QX4 does have more insulation and has a quieter ride on the highway. He did not recommend the Path over the QX4 but did not in any way bad mouth the Path. I think I know what I should do now. Thanks for the input!!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I set fade in the middle unless the kids want it quieter in the back. I recommend the balance be set in the middle for any stereo. Why do you feel that the settings will make that much difference? I listen to mostly pop/rock on my system. Its mostly from CD's that I recorded compiled from commercial CD's I have bought over the years.
    ijustdoit -
    Glad to hear that from a friend of a friend, I thought the QX4 rides better (more sedan like than truck) than the Pathfinder. One other thing to look at down the road is resale value. Much better to be in a QX4 than a Path for that reason.
    Bigorange- I was just wandering how you had the stereo setup since you commented about how good you liked the Bose. Like I said earlier, I am not as impressed with it as the stereo in the RX300. I thought maybe that I had adjusted the settings incorrectly or was missing something about how to setup this specific stereo. I think the settings on any stereo can greatly effect how it sounds.

Guys please do not kill me for this, but I wanted to ask crete about his comment "rides more like a sedan than a truck." Like I have posted before, I have ridden and driven alot in a 1999 RX300. It definately has a car like ride. Now driving the QX4, to me , it is definately more truck like riding. Not like an explorer mind you, but not as smooth as the RX300. Mine has the 17 inch tires. I am wondering if it may have something to do with the fact that the QX4 is rear wheel drive and is built on a truck platform (Pathfinder). The RX300 is built on the camry platform. The QX4 feels more substantial and safe to me and has a much better turning radius than the RX300, but on the road I can feel more body lean and pavement irregularities. Any suggestions guys? I was thinking of having my dealer look at it to see if the tire pressure or shocks may not be set correctly. Or maybe that is just the way it will ride. Thanks for an input.
    The RX300 feature you suggest of "riding like a sedan" and that it is "built on the camry platform" is exactly what turned us off of the RX300. It looks and feels more like a station wagon than an SUV. We wanted more of an SUV look and feel. Its a style thing I guess.
    masspector--
    I tested a RX300 and yes, it rides more like a sedan than the QX4 being that it is on camry paltform. I was only comparing the QX4 to the Path when saying it rides more like a sedan. In the Path, I felt more of a truck feel in the steering, suspension and noise level. The QX4 seems to ride smoother, quieter, and has a tighter response in the steering or maybe its just the feel of the simulated wood steering wheel. Since I've only had the QX4 for a few days, at least this is what I can say is the difference so far. But I will say after riding the Path for two months, I'm really pleased with the QX4 ride, look and feel and I'm so happy I traded the path for it.
    I just got back from my dealer (Frontier Infiniti, SF Bay Area) because I went back to them after hearing a noise rattle in the dashboard someplace which was very annoying. Here I was thinking my SUV of only 4 days will now have the dashboard taken apart to track down the noise. But thankfully that wasn't the case. The dealer's service was excellent, first a service manger approached me in a shirt and tie, walked me to his office to sit down and discuss what was the problem. He then said a tech would test drive with me to find the problem and meanwhile I was given a loaner car for the day. The tech got in the car with me and as I described the problem and drove no more than 100 feet, he already knew what was wrong. He opened the hood, giggled the heater lines that were going into the firewall and sprayed silicone on the rubber bushings holding them in place, then added a tie clip to the lines. He said the heater lines will move as the engine moves (as you know the engine has liquid mounts) and the bushings will rub against the firewall creating the noise. He has had this with other QX4's and said it took over 3 hours to find the problem the first time. The time it took for me was less than 2 mintues and he ran it through the car wash for me as well. Has anyone on this board experienced this problem?

Everyone at the dealer was very friendly, professional and willing to provide the best customer satisfaction posssible.

Now I have a very quiet riding QX4 and I'm very pleased with how the dealer treated me.
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    Not that I receive horrible service, but I don't feel like I've been given the superb service many of you refer too. I bought my QX4 (2001) two years ago when I was 21. I feel like they're still treating me like a kid. When I bring up any issues I have (missing skid plate bolts, squeaks, brake squeal, etc), I get the "okay, we'll check it" with a definite "whatever" sound to their voice. There's only two dealers in my area and they're both a decent drive away. Any tips on getting some respect (and maybe some free stuff!)?
  • cardilemacardilema Member Posts: 5
    Hey Masspector, Where do you live, what I really want to know is what region had that
    $2000. dealer incentive. Was it for the whole country. Does anybody out there know the current incentives?
    I live in the Chicago area. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated Thanks
    They probably think you are a kid (teenager) and that it is your father's QX4. I wonder if anyone else has had your experience with your dealers. They're probably the exception that proves the rule. Every rule has to have an exception. What area are you in and who are the dealers. As far as the free stuff goes, you can forget that. None of us get that even at the dealers that treat you nice. Anyone out there getting "free stuff"?
    I live in Georgia. At the end of April Edmunds was showing a $2000 factory to dealer incentive in the western states, but not my state. In my area the lowest option QX4 you can get is a 2wd with rear air deflector, sunroof, and premium pkg. That invoices around $33,000. Minus the $2000 factory to dealer incentive gives a price of $31000.

What I did was get an email quote from a texas dealer on this vehicle and it was close to the $31000. Texas had the incentive at the time. A dealer in my area had an ad for a car at $30988. Upon speaking to a few salesman I was able to deduce that the $2000 incentive was in my area also. In May I have seen an ad for $29900. I am not sure if this is a demo or if infiniti raised the incentive by $1000. I know the vehicle has at a minimum the above options because that is the lowest optioned vehicle I was able to find at any of my area dealers.

Edmunds never did list the factory to dealer incentive in my area, so I would not go by anything it says here on the official website. Also the QX4 has 0.9 financing for 36 months. I would check the ad prices in your nearest metro area. That should give you an idea of current incentives. If I were you I would check the invoice price of the vehicle you are looking at and subtract at least $2000 and make an offer.
    I sure hope they don't think I'm bringing in Dad's QX4! I'm pretty sure they don't think that.

I'm in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area.

When I talk about free stuff, it's usually a case where the dealer screwed something up and threw in some floormats or window deflectors. I've a couple instances where what the dealer has done is a little sketchy and I've had to fight to get anything done about it. The most recent regards some brake squealing I had when I brough it in for the 26250... told them the brakes squeal, so they cleaned only the rear drum brakes, got charged $45. Then I check out the 22500 service checklist, and the brake inspection should have been done then. I have a real hard time believing that the squealing couldn't have been taken care of then.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    Today I received a brochure from local infiniti dealer(Naples FL) stating QX4 $3500 off sticker price. Have been thinking about getting one especially with the low APR too. Concerned about last year of model and body change coming in 2004?
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    Try some of the following, johnskev...

1. Change service reps; if you don't like the guy you're dealing with, ask to see someone else. Talk to other customers while you're there - see how they get on. Then when you find a good guy, only deal with him.

2. If that doesn't work, call and ask for the Service Manager. Get his name and direct line if he has one. Find out when he's there, then schedule the service with him if possible. Or at least talk to him and tell him you're dissatisfied.

3. If you're not sure what work has been done, ask for a full printout of all the work done - they should be able to get that off the computer.

4. If you ask them to perform tasks, and they obviously haven't done it, make a stink (OK, not literally hehe). Demand to see whosoever is in charge. Get the telephone number of the owner of the dealership. Threaten to call Infiniti - and if they still won't do the work, call Infiniti!!!

I have to say, I've always had good service at our Infiniti dealer (from 97-2000 when I had my QX4). I learnt these tricks at other dealerships - some try it on with me because I'm a girl. Unfortunately for them, I'm a girl with a short fuse for that kind of thing. There's nothing a car dealer hates more than a well dressed female making a big scene in the service bay or showroom! :D
    Does your dealer send out customer surveys? Mine does and they seem to go ape if you don't give them excellent on everything. They are always telling that they get killed if the don't get rated as excellent. If your dealer does mail out these surveys, you need to really rape them on it if they haven't satisfied you. If I did this with my dealer, I would have the manager calling me falling all over himself to make it right. These surveys seem to be a big deal at my dealer and I am betting at all Infiniti dealerships.
    Thanks for the feedback!

spudgal: There's only 2 people I've ever dealt with for service... the 1 service rep and the 1 service manager. I'll try to put up a little more of a stink when I'm there. I just get a little self conscious that I don't know what I'm talking about.

bigorange30: I got a customer survey a couple months after I first purchased. I didn't give them a great rating, and they did call and want to talk about it. But ever since then, they don't send me anything.
    and you will know what you are talking about. There are alot of very knowledgeable people here that can answer your question before you ever take it to the dealer. If this forum can't answer it, there are many here that can and SURELY one of them can.
    On the Bose stereo it has RDS (Radio Data Service). So far I've seen it display the radio station's name instead of the dial number, but is this all it does. Is there anyone who knows if this feature performs other functions in the stereo?
  • dlundgrendlundgren Member Posts: 17
    Good question. My Pathfinder has RDS also and beyond that, I can't find anything about what that means in any of the documentation. Anyone?
  • miownamemiowname Member Posts: 5
    It displays the station call letters and type of station IE: talk, rock, easy listening, religious, jazz, top 40, news, etc,...

As more stations compy with the FCC regs, you will be able to imput the type of station you want and the radio will scan for that type of music, talk etc,...

I believe that the radio stations are supossed to comply with the RDS regs by 1/1/03 but I am not sure.

There are quite a number of stations now and it is nice to be able to plug in top 40 and hear a couple of those stations. Especially if you don't know the stations in a area you are driving.

Satellite Radio (monthly fee) allows you to put in the type of music, talk etc,...and it will pull up your station, many commercial free.
    The catch is that you pay a monthly fee and it is expensive right now.
    Thanks for the info about RDS, so we can input the type of station we want to listen to. Is this where the PTY (Program Type) button comes into use? If so, does it mean once we have more stations complying with the regs, we can use the PTY button to tune into our favorite music styles?

Meanwhile the only station I found that uses this right now is only displaying the call letters, no display for the type of music (talk, rock,jazz, etc).

Lastly, on the Satellite Radio, I 've seen ads for it, is it called something like "X Radio". Does anyone have pricing on it or is it regionally priced? No commericals, that sounds great.
  • miownamemiowname Member Posts: 5
    XM Radio is one of the satelliteradio systems. It seems to be about $10 a month Nationally and I've seen it for as little as $395 installed by a local chain store. Make sure they fully guaranty the installation. Just enter the type of radio station and you've got rock, top 40 etc,... In addition to all the regular stations.

There are suppossed to be some other extras like emergency broadcasting override. which overrides any thing you are listening to with an emergency message and displays it as well. I have not seen it in action yet.
    Has anyone put these on a QX4? If so, how do they look? I can't find anyone that sells them for the QX4. I do like them on other vehicles though.
  • erichutchinserichutchins Member Posts: 4
    Bought my wife an '02 QX4. She loves it but complains about the temperature control on the heated seats. Her Buick Riviera seats would just get hotter until you turned them down, manually. Anyway to disconnect the thermostat without disabling the seats or other adverse consequences?
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    What's everyone think. You can view it at infiniti.com, new models. Not really the kind of SUV I like. Nothing like the QX4. I think they are making a mistake by discontinuing the QX4. I can't see hauling a boat or ? with this. It is cool though. Rick
    reb12 --
    Where did you hear the QX4 is going.....? Everything I've heard and read about the QX4 is that it is not being discontinued. It will be given a makeover for 2004, much like its sister the Pathfinder. Much bigger and probably a 7-seater to compete with the MDX, the new 4Runner, etc. The new model in the website for the SUV is the FX45, which will debuting about Jan 2003 and will fall into what is now being called the "Crossover" SUVs. These will have SUV like features (AWD, etc) but with a sports car performance (300+ hp). Probably not a 7-seater but at least a mid $40K price tag.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Where can I learn more about this?

I'm due to replace my PF lease in Aug 2002. I've been thinking of buying a PF LE or QX-4 but I'd be really ticked if shortly thereafter a larger QX4/PF came to be ...
    At www.freshalloy.com they have a model chart (model matrix) showing a timeline of what changes will/may take place for the different models. They list the QX4 as getting a makeover in body size for 2003-2004. They don't specifically say a 7-seater but it would make good sense for Nissan to go this route to compete with the others now out there. Nissan is coming out with a full size pickup which many believe will be the basis for a full redesign of the Pathfinder to a full size SUV, which in turn may lead to a full redsign for the QX4.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    By any chance anyone experienced 16" vs 17" wheels? Road noise level noticeable difference?
    Thanks,
    Picked up the '02 Qx4 Saturday. It comes with the 17" wheels; my 97 had the 16". Can't say I've noticed additional noise coming from the wheels. The dealer has them at 25 psi (which I think is low), but he said they can be taken up to 32psi. I'll try them at the lower rating for a bit, then pump them up.

Someone at the dealership had put a set of 20" chrome rims on the truck when we were looking at it. I told them to take them off - I'm not into pimping! :D

Infiniti's new SUV (FX 45) looks significantly bigger than the Qx4; maybe more like the Landcruiser size? They need to change the dash tho; ewww!
    Thanks spudgal for the wheel info. Now I can realy compare our 00 RX300 and 02 QX4.
    1. RX300 has slightly beter overall attention to detail.
    2. RX has less overall noise, and a little quicker.
    3. QX4 looks much more solid.
    4. QX4 has more features overall but it lacks ignition key light, front door light, and only front windows are "auto".
    5. QX4 has a line (electrical conductor) running vertically in the center of front windshield, which is slightly distracting.
    (to be continued)
  • shoppinginsfshoppinginsf Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2002 QX4 in February for 33,300 (black, premium pkg, sunroof, rear wind deflector). Was extremely happy with the refinement of the interior, the quiet ride, the very easy to fold down rear seats and the powerful engine.

Earlier this month I was in a catastrophic side impact collision (sideswiped by a speeding car that ran the stop light). As we were at the apex of a steep hill when the crash occured, the impact of the other car sent us flipping both head over heels and rolling over several times down the hill. The QX4 was completely totaled. There is horrendous damage to all sides of the car, exploded all windows, etc. However there were NO intrusions into the cabin even though the roof did crumple inwards somewhat. Myself, my passenger, and our two dogs were able to come away from the accident with no more than a few superficial scrapes. The police, fire department and emergency medical personnel were all astounded that we were still alive.

I am definitely buying another QX4 as soon as possible. Hope this story is helpful.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Glad to hear you made it out OK! I remember reading that the pathfinders did very well in crash tests (obviously so would the QX4). Get well!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll second nyccarguy's comments - we're very glad no one was seriously injured!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I was some what concerned about the safety of the QX4, considering the hwysafety inst. gave it a poor rating. But after hearing your story, that would definitely change my mind in regards to this SUV. Do you have photos of what the vehicle looked like after the accident. Post them or email.
    Crash test results on the QX4 and Pathfinder were rated as good for side impact crashes, I believe they were given 4-stars, which apparently from your description was the case in your accident. I'm hoping the side impact airbags deployed correctly as well as the front and provided the protection you needed. However, crash test results for a frontal impact on this vehicle were listed as poor. I was wondering if the front airbags deployed and if so were they at the same time as the side bags or during your flip and roll?

Were you able to notice the make/model of the other vehicle and its final condition?

Glad you are ok from that accident and I hope you, your loved ones and the dogs are doing fine.
  • shoppinginsfshoppinginsf Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the kind words.

A few photos are available at http://photos.yahoo.com/crashedqx4

The impact was by a Toyota Celica. It hit us on the left on the driver's door, at hip level of the driver (me). After the flip and rolls, we landed upside down, the seatbelts holding us securely in the front seats.

The driver's side airbag deployed, probably saving my life. None of the others did. Which is what should have happened, I believe. Given the nature of what happened, a front airbag deployment was not necessary and could even have caused an injury as we were alternatively midair, upside down, and crashing on the ground.

The Celica had major front end damage but the driver was completely uninjured.

• micheal3micheal3 Member Posts: 1
    To all QX4 owners,

Should I go ahead with 99 QX4 buying one at the auction as a lease turned in with 50K miles? It is mint condition inside and outside. Engine is gorgeous...Really will be used with limited driving may be 8K miles a year during wet / flodding days. I am able to pick this up for about $15K at same lease depot turn in where all dealers go to buy their trucks. Is there any major change between (97-98) to 99? Except some external looks? Are there any major issues with dependability on 99 I should be aware?
  • stsurbrookstsurbrook Member Posts: 285
    Glad to hear that you are alright! I had heard a similar story from the salesman I bought my G35 from at Infiniti of Nashville. He also was hit in the side by a car that ran a stop light, rolled three times, including taking OUT a phone pole and WALKED AWAY... without even any scrapes. I saw the pictures and it was REALLY, REALLY TOTALED! UGLY! Needless to say, he bought another QX4. :)

BTW, you pictures don't come up when I click on the link. I would be very interested in seeing them.

Scott
    I would get a 2001 at least since it has more power (240 vs. 170 hp). Many of them should have about 50 K miles on them and you should be able to find one in good condition. Yes, it will cost a little more but I promise you, it will be worth it.
    A word of advice; when you get your next Qx4, take it easy - the first few times you get in it, you'll probably start shaking - I know I did! I took me a couple of months to settle into mine after my one and only accident in 12 years of driving - and it was a doozy!

I totalled my first Qx4 (and my first ever new car) back in 97. I'd only had it 3 weeks, and was driving to a friend's house at 6am to go walking. Turning left, just didn't see the other guy coming - my own stupid fault; I should have looked 15 more times :/ There was some comment from the policeman in attendance that the other guy was speeding, but I never saw the report.

Anyway, there wasn't much left of the front of the Qx4 after the dust settled. We hit front left corner to front left corner (as in the IIHS test), and the force of the impact swung the Q around to hit at the back too. I had stopped then pulled away, so was doing 10 mph max.

The other car was a 70's Ford coupe; the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt. He had concussion, but was OK. I had bumps and bruises, a cut on my forehead from the airbag when it broke my sunglasses (both went off in my case) I was very glad of it! When speaking to the body shop who stored it for me, they said I should be grateful I wasn't in the Celica I had sold the week before.

Infiniti were great; after three weeks of negotiations between them, the Insurance company and us, I got a replacement.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    You said "QX4 has a line (electrical conductor) running vertically in the center of front windshield, which is slightly distracting."

I currently drive a 2000 PF with that same windshield. That's the second radio antenna. After a few days, you don't even notice it anymore. What you do notice is that it helps provide you with some of the best reception possible.

By the "no front door light", do you mean a light to guide you to the door lock? If so, I don't recall ever using the key to unlock the PF door - the keyfob unlocks the vehicle and turns on the interior lights. I assume the QX4 does the same thing.
    Hi couimet:
    What I said "front door light" is the light on the inner door panel, close to lower door edge. My RX300 and Maxima has that. When door is open it lights up the ground.
    My QX4 has only got 200 miles. I'm enjoying it more and more.
    By the way, it's 4 wheel drive, plus the premium package, sunroof, sunroof wind deflector, rear wind deflector, for $33555 (MSRP $37755 - $4200),
    plus tax, doc, etc. CarsDirect's big discount ends 5/31 but my dealer still has $4000 off on each QX4.
    I got my QX4 a few weeks ago and have just reached 400 miles. I like the ride much better than the Pathfinder I had. I remember on the Pathfinder, it had the option Limited Slip Differential. When I got the QX4 it made no mention of this anywhere on the sticker but I remember reading somewhere that the Limited Slip is standard on Qx4. Does anyone know if this is true?

Mine is 4wd plus the premium package, sunroof, sunroof wind deflector, rear wind deflector, for $ 32500. (plus TTL).
    Hi crete,
    You got better deal.
    I remember Limited Slip is bundled in the Heated Seat package on 4WD, not on 2WD. It's described in the 02 QX4's brochure.
    The brochure says:
    -- Leather-appointed interior
    -- Leather-wrapped steering wheel, parking brake and gearshit knob

The window sticker says:
    -- Leather seating surfaces w/leather-wrapped steering wheel & parking brake

I guess sticker is more accurate? But Infiniti brochure is also official and should be accurate. When I clean up the interior I want to use the correct cleaner on different surfaces.
    2001 window sticker says "wood-tone & leather steering wheel". Does wood-tone mean simulated wood? However it looks real wood just like the other wood pieces.