Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    Had my first "commercial" moment this weekend... taking my son and 6 of his friends (13 and 14 year olds) to a couple skate board parks for his birthday... Pulled up and parked ... and the boys began to flood out of the car... after all the doors finaly closed... a man walking by said "Say... did all those kids come outta that car????" ... With a cheekish smile... I said ... "Yep...everyone of them... w/ all their gear"... "Wow... that's amazing... I'd never have thought that... and it looks good too! That's no Van... " No... No van.. Just my CX(y)9..."

ZOOM ~ ZOOM
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Well,

Here is what they found wrong.

1st, there was not enough padding in the rear portion of the drivers seat. It was about 3/4 thinner than the passenger's seat bottom? They added about 1" of foam under the rear section of the seat bottom.

2nd, the seat cover was not centered in the seat. It bunched up on the side tword the console. To be honest, I never really notice this. The guy managed to get it more or less centered when they put it back together. Again the passenger's seat did not have this problem. It looked like it was shifted about 1/2" off center when compared to the passenger's seat.

3rd, there was a little too much leather left on both seams where the two different color peices were sewen together. This was bunching up and was probably causing most of my discomfort. You could see the indention of this wad of leather in the foam pad. I am fairly sure that this is what was actually poking into my hip.

As near as I can tell, I can tolerate the seat now. It was more or less comfortable on the 1.5hr drive home. The seat bottom is a little harder where the padding was added. The upolstry guy said the leather would streatch a little and should soften up over time. He did say to keep the leather well conditioned for a few weeks.

It is my opinion that most of the discomfort I felt was due to poor workmanship on the seat bottom and the fact that the foam was too thin. I am not sure why the foam on the drivers side seat was so much thinner than the foam on the passenger's. I think it cause me to sink deeper into the seat than I should have. This cause the sides to fold in more and put more pressure on my hips.

For the heck of it, I sat in the Passengers seat for a little over an hour listening to the stereo system ( one of the reasons why I bought the car to start with ) It did not seem to bother me like the drivers seat did.

I hope this solves the issue and thought you guys might want to hear what I found...
    Sounds like Mission accomplished... ! I realy hope it's solved your problem... I'm sure you've documented all the information... I'd compile it and bring it to your local Dealer and service department... under warranty that work could have been subleted out for the repair. I'm ( fairly ) sure they'll cover the work that's been done... just come complete with as much info as possible... When "things" are made... sometimes "things" happen... sounds like this on your car... (Coming from the dealers point of view... I think you'll be taken care of)... Congrats!.
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    It really seems like that should have been handled by the dealer, since it would appear to have been a factory defect. I'm really disappointed to hear that neither the dealer nor Mazda USA offered to help when you brought this up to them earlier...
    I'd hold judgment on Mazda...and the Dealer untill it's totaly resolved... as it sounds to me that 1) it's not been fully brought to their attention ... the extent of the situation... and 2) ... this is a "defect" to the point that it affected this peticular person... and 3) it was not a "visible" defect. Mass productions as does anything else... will occassionaly have flaws... that's why there are coverages...
    I've just confirmed that the MPV headphones work in our CX-9... took two home last night with success!
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    You're absolutely correct imamg. I had based my statement on the original post where it was stated "The dealer and Mazda will not do anything to help me..." I hope that was incorrect. I can't imagine my dealer handling it that way. They have been great to work with.
  • rransirransi Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for that update!!

I just ordered two for myself. Found an internet parts store selling it less than $43 price asked by Mazda dealer.

Will post an update when I get them.
    Awesome!... Do let me know when you get them how they work for you... oh and btw... I'm the parts manager for a dealer ;) should you need anything else
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    zoomornot, when one places an order for $500,is the person able to see what options and colors will be available?....how about price is that negotiated at this point?...which to me it means that the dealer aleady know prices etc...am I off base?...please give some info since I am very interested and it will be the first time I do this,,,thanks
  • jim1969jim1969 Member Posts: 62
    I think this engine upgrade from 3.5L to 3.7L applies only to Canadian models.
    ...the engine upgrade will be acroos the CX 9 model..American and Canadian models...and this is one of the few upgrades coming with 2008 model....an engine upgrade is too big to have it segmented on Canadian or American models only...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Dealers started orderering 2008 CX-9's in April for July/Aug production....we do not have 08 pricing or complete specs yet. Aug/Sept eta. Yes, dealers do initial orders without much info..so there is a little guess work involved. It looks like there is no color changes at this point.

The blind spot monitoring system, which is a new feature for 08 will be late availability.
    You appear to be well informed, when I talked to the dealer that I am planning to buy from he did not have any useful info for me....like pricing etc.....but my question is how can one ( in this case I) order a CX ( without knowing pricing or other details?..I know dealers will order just about what they think it will sell well...that is why I have great difficulty find a CX 9 GT AWD equiped the way I wanted....any ideas or advise is greatly appreciated..how late is the blind spot detection available?..

Tahnks
    Well,

After driving the CX-9 for a few days, I found the seat bottom too hard with all of the padding the the upostery guy added. I removed two layers of the material. This made the seat tolerable on my two hour drive today. However, it is still not comfortable to me.

It looks like it would cost several thousand to have the seat bottoms replaced with somthing that is comfortable to me and would matche the rest of the interior. Having an odd drivers seat would obviously Kill the resale value of the vehicle so a new interior is not really an option.

I will drive it for a while longer ( at least until the title shows up ) However, I will probably still have to sell the vehicle. The cost to do a proper upgrade will be about equal to what I would lose on trade.

I cannot see keeping this thing for the next four years ( max time allowed on my auto plan )

I think the biggest problem with the seats is the seam on the two tone leather seats. This rolled seam is very hard. I think a cloth seat or one with a single color side bolster would be fine. I stand my my warning that larger than normal people are likely to find these two tone leather seats to be uncomfortable. Please be careful if you intend to buy a CX-9 and you are an above average size. I would not want anyone else to go through this.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used CX-9? I am in the mood to make you a great deal...

P.S. Both the dealer and Mazda were FULLY aware of my problem. I explained it in great detail. Both told me that they were sorry, but were not willing to do anything to help. Both refused to have the seat taken apart and inspected. It cost me less than $100.00 so fighting with Mazda or the dealer would be a waste of my time...
    sranger, I am so disappointed to hear how your sage is ending....I do feel for you since it is a problem with resolution unless the dealer and MAZDA decide to do something to help you...I wish you all the luck in the World and keep us posted of your progress if any..
  • todostodos Member Posts: 13
    Sranger, where are you located? How many miles on the vehicle? Please email me about your impending sale of your CX9.

thanks
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Hello,

So can anyone put all the changes and spec changes out here for the 2008 so we can check it all out or at least send us a link to these changes...I really am looking for the new engine to have improved fuel economy.

B.
    Here is the link with all the specs for the 2008 Canadian model..the hp is tbd...but the rest appear to be basically the same...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108454
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    when I talked to the dealer that I am planning to buy from he did not have any useful info for me....like pricing etc.....but my question is how can one ( in this case I) order a CX ( without knowing pricing or other details?..

The dealer should be able to come up with the build specs but pricing isnt available yet. If you want to order one before there is pricing see if the dealer will agree to a percentage over invoice.
    ...but first do you think the dealer will accept?....second...would you trust signing a blind commitment with a car dealer that you don't know?....I don't think so...so I will have to wait until we can talk dollars...do you agree?
  • rransirransi Member Posts: 11
    Received the MPV wireless headphones. They work perfectly with CX-9 DVD drop-down setup!
    Well,

I decided to dig a little deeper into this problem that I am having with the seat. I took the seat completely apart over the weekend. I removed some of the batting that the upolstry shop put in. They had a little more in there than I tought they did. It made the seat bottom a little too hard for my tail. I covered the seat with some cheap vinyl material ( It was not pretty, but it was only a test )

However, without the rolled seam in the middle of the side bolster, I found the seat to be quite comfortable on a 2hr drive. So, having found the exact problem with the seat, I tried to find a possible solution without having to re-cover all of the seats.

I decide to cut a V shaped trough in the foam where the rolled seams run down the middle of the side bolsters. It was fairly easy to do with a sharp razor blade. This lets the seam press into the foam with little resistance and does not put much pressure on my legs and hips. It also does not change the apperarace of the seat at all. So far it seems to be working. It did not bother me at all today on two different 1hr trips. I may have found the solution to my problem. I wanted to post the info hear as this may be a fairly easy solution for anyone who may experiance the same issue ( too wide of a load for the seat :P )

I'll post again once I have some more seat time...
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    good luck, sranger. hopefully, this is the fix to your issue. i'm really quite concerned and disappointed that mazda would not even attempt a seat replacement to see if that would resolve the issue.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Just reading all the work you're doing to solve this issue makes me tired...I would have given up much more easily ;-)

I wonder if the foam in the side bolster could be replaced by something more compliant (you'll lose that support when you burn through corners, but at least your thighs will be happy)...
  • kjm11379kjm11379 Member Posts: 16
    I talked to Mazda Corp. today via phone, they confirmed that the new 2008 CX-9 will have the new 3.7 liter V6 engine that is listed for the 2008 Canada CX-9. Dealerships are not talking about it because they want to get all the 2007's with the smaller engine off of their lots first. Mazda Corp. did not have the hp or the mpg or the tourge ratings as of yet, but they told me that dealers have already been given their allocation sheets for 2008 for delievery in Sept. or Oct. The new 2008's should being building after July 4th. If anyone gets info on the HP or anything else please update...
    AWESOME... and @ what... less than a 1/4 the orignal costs!!! I love it when a plan works out... I've passed on the info to the woman @ mazda who I was originaly working with on all this... giving her big praise... keep the questions coming... as well as the answers.
  • ashskiashski Member Posts: 1
    We here in Australia are expecting our first shipment of CX 9's in January 2008, they will have a 3.7ltr engine.

link title

Was going to buy a new car soon but am very tempted to wait the 7 months before gladly disposing of my 7 yr old Landrover Discovery tank.
    Here is the deal on my seat troubles.

So far the groove that I cut in the foam seems to have worked well. I drove the vehicle for about 6hr last Thursday and the seam did not bother me much. There was one place in the seat that still bothered me a little and I removed the cover on that side and made the groove a little wider yesterday. It was more comfortable after I put it back together. I think this modification is going to completely solve my problem.

It is a shame that Mazda did not take my complaint seriously. This groove could be made into the mold used to form the seat cushion. It does not alter the appearance of the seat in anyway. A smaller person would never notice that the groove was there and a larger person, like me, would certainly find it to be more comfortable. However, they will not even let me speak to anyone at Mazda that might find the information useful.

I was going to take some pictures when I took the seat apart this weekend, but I dropped my camera on the garage floor and several internal parts are now external... :cry:
    Dear Sir, my hat is off to you....Mazda should pay attention,not only to your suggestions, but also to your complaints about the seats.
    Maybe your letters should be directed highre up than the usual "district manager"....I am glad that you feel much confortable now..if any one desrevs it is YOU!...and pick up the external parts of the camera and take some pics...afterall aren't you the one that can fix just about anything?.....
  • kmchotwheelzkmchotwheelz Member Posts: 3
    I read somewhere on here that it is possible to program the doors to lock when the vehicle is started or put in drive.This feature means alot to my wife and the salesman was unable to help.Thanks for your help and info.
    the factory setting is not to automaticaly lock... you can have the dealer reprogram the system to do so...see section 3-19 in the owners manual for listings... ( ps.. you can down load a the pdf of the owners manual from mazdausa.com it's very easy to navigate )
  • glesgles Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to purchase a 2007 CX-9 GT, despite having learned that a new and bigger engine is coming in the 2008. I'm going with the 2007 model because I'm getting a good deal, as dealers are gearing up to get rid of the 2007s. My question is, for the everyday, kid-hauling sometimes road-trips driving around the burbs, is the 2007 engine enough power? Do I really need the bigger engine or will the 2007 version suit me just fine? Are they increasing the engine in the 2008 because it's not doing the job or because people want even greater performance? I'm not worried about resale, as we drive cars until they die. :confuse: Current CX-9 owners, please advise!
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    I thought about waiting, as far as I'm concerned the horsepower and engine performance is fine. There will always be something new or a "little better," and as you said the deals are good right now, there have been no complaints about the engine thus far.
  • sellstar1sellstar1 Member Posts: 19
    I've got a CX9 GT FWD and am very pleased with the power. After driving a Millenia for the past ten years or so the CX9's 265 horses seems good for both highway and city driving. We do lots of interstate and around Atlanta area. No problems at all with getting up to speed... bigger problem is keeping it at speed limit if you don't use the cruise! This is a great vehicle....and still turns heads!
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    We bought a 2007 though I knew the bigger engine was coming. One main reason was we had to buy a vehicle soon as our earlier vehicle got totalled in an accident. When we drove the 2007 we felt the power was quite adequate for most conditions.
    When getting up to speed for merges you do have to floor it, but it responds so well and quickly when you do that. At those times the thought of "a little bit more power would be cool" does come to mind once in a while, but the sheer joy of driving the vehicle - the way it handles and its highly communicative steering - makes you instantaneously forget that :D
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I drove our 2007 GT from AZ to MI, over 2,000 miles through mountains, loaded with 4 months of living stuff for our summer in Michigan. Not once during the trip did I wish for more power. The 6-speed transmission does an excellent job of keeping the engine RPM at the proper level for the horsepower needed. I don't remember needing to floor it even once.
    I agree with the others... we've 3 kids ...and switched from an allsport MPV to the CX-9 and the power is more than enough. For everything you get there'll always be something coming that's bigger better n stronger...
    I agree but the situation at least here in Northeast is getting a little difficult since when one wants a GT AWD fully loaded thaey are not around...
    I totaly understand what you mean... I got mine the end of last month under a program listed at the last minute from mazda... and it took me a while to find one ( and I work at a dealer ) from another dealer and get it from them... GT AWD is the hard package to find... we're starting to see GT 2wd's come up thru auction as demo resales.. gotta black on black one in... "almost" hurt myfeelings (as if i I should have waited.. but it's 2wd so... ~relief~ of not missing out set in)
  • poof100poof100 Member Posts: 20
    We had all along planned to buy the 08 GT AWD because of the possibility of the 08 3.7L having direct injection. Once it was confirmed that the 3.7L wouldn't have the direct injection, the extra 15hp to me wasn't worth the wait, extra $$$ and possible decrease in mileage. Those who say it will be more fuel efficient need to realize they increased the bore size to make the 3.7L. Nothing else. Bigger engine, more fuel. It probably won't be a noticable difference but still some.

We picked up a new 07 GT AWD with Moonroof the other night and got in on the 5.9% financing from Mazda. I guess the promotion started the day we went to buy the car, so good timing on top of the S plan price we got.

Here in the DC area, it was impossible to find a GT AWD with just the moonroof and the Sand Interior. For those having trouble finding a loaded GT AWD, there are tons here with the black interior, most with the Assist Pckg and the Moonroof. We live in VA and had to trek up to MD to buy ours, as they were the only dealer that had the GT AWD in stock that we wanted. We did get the Copper Red color and those seem to be the hardest to find also.

For what I need, the car has plenty of power. When I want something fast for my commute, I'll pick up a Mazdaspeed 3.
    I see your point....it seems that for 08 it will be only 2 trims with the 3.7 liter engine... a GS and a GT..GS 2wd moonroof and 4wd with moonroof...the GT Awd with luxury pacakge,luxury package with nav and luxury pacakge with res...
    (navigation and rear entertainment system with no moonroof)...and those 2 GS and GT will be only ones with the 3.7 liter engine
  • zoomornotzoomornot Member Posts: 5
    Where is the confirmation that 08 Cx-9 has only 275 HP and not 300 HP? I know the 3.7 litre is confirmed. But I don't think even a direct injection is ruled out officially yet.

If it officially confirmed by Mazda, could someone please point me to it?

I saw another posting on mazda forums where someone claiming 300HP is confirmed. It appears both HP and no direct injection is all speculation at this point.
  • poof100poof100 Member Posts: 20
    If you found the other mazda forums, then you would have seen where the person that originally confirmed the 3.7L for 08 also then confirmed the final power #s 278hp and 263lbs trq. Also confirmed it wouldn't have Direct Fuel Injection.

The slight bump in bore size is not going to add 27hp without any other changes to the intake, cyl heads, fuel injection, etc. The 300hp was speculation based on the 3.7L having Direct Injection. It will not, so the 300hp won't happen.

The engines should be in production already, as they ship them to Japan and then Mazda installs them in the CX-9s and ships them back to the US. Ford builds the engines and then Mazda tweaks them.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Mazda has not confirmed the horsepower for the 3.7 engine, no one at this point knows exactly what other changes have been made to the engine. It’s been stated through Mazda customer service that the engine will produce higher HP output and better fuel economy. I don’t see how they can accomplish both with just an increase in bore size.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    What are the tweaks?

The CX-9, Edge, and MKX are all rated at 263 HP.
    You are correct,nothing has been confirmed yet from MAZDA except that there will be a 3.7 liter engine for the GS and GT models ONLY.It has been rumored that that engine will also be direct fuel injection ...but it is all speculation someone knows but i s not telling...lol...
    ..it is also rumored that the MKX will get this engine in order to make a wider distintion from the EDGE....
  • desgnconcptsdesgnconcpts Member Posts: 53
    sranger,

Find yourself a good auto upholstery shop. I literally had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you with my 2002 G20 w/Sport Package. I loved the 2 tone suede/leather seats -- and never realized on the 30 min test drive (when new) that the seams would KILL me on any drives longer than a hour.

The difference was that Infiniti was terrific, as was my dealer. My dealer went to bat for me and Infiniti agreed to pay the upholstery shop to re-sew the seam on my driver's seat. It cost a "whopping" $180 but it worked like a charm. I'm 6'3", 200lbs and the seat was a killer. My right leg in particular would go numb on long drives.

Here's what the shop did: they removed the seat bottom cover and pulled apart the seam -- it was rolled/raised, with the leather folded over/under itself to make a roll that ran the length of the seat on both sides and around the front (kind of like a border around the front/2 sides, about 2 inches from each edge). By completely pulling apart the seam, they were able to sew it FLAT -- no more raised edge.

You cannot really tell the difference between the 2 seats upon merely looking -- this guy even matched the stitch holes in the leather, so that it looked as if it had come from the factory that way. But, the comfort was improved about 1,000%!

Again, if you get someone that knows what they're doing, they'll understand the seam construction and be able to resew it for you -- and it will likely cost you only a few hundred bucks (at most), far less than selling your vehicle.

Good luck!
    And BOO to Mazda for not taking the complaint of a customer seriously. Too many vehicles are made for the "average" person -- and folks that are tall/big just have to "make do" with what they come up with.

And how the heck are you supposed to figure that out in a test drive that may only last 20 or 30 minutes? If you could rent any vehicle ahead of time, that might help. But not many dealers are willing to give someone a car for an extended trip -- the only way you'd find out, as you did, was by sitting in that vehicle for a longer time.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    The final production specifications for the 2008 engine has been released. Engine will not use direct injection. With the exception of the Acura MDX, the 2008 CX-9 has more horsepower than anything else in its class.

2008 3.7 V6
    273 HP @ 6250 RPM
    270 TQ @ 4250 RPM

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111760