Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• micheal3micheal3 Posts: 1
    To all QX4 owners,

Should I go ahead with 99 QX4 buying one at the auction as a lease turned in with 50K miles? It is mint condition inside and outside. Engine is gorgeous...Really will be used with limited driving may be 8K miles a year during wet / flodding days. I am able to pick this up for about $15K at same lease depot turn in where all dealers go to buy their trucks. Is there any major change between (97-98) to 99? Except some external looks? Are there any major issues with dependability on 99 I should be aware?
  • stsurbrookstsurbrook Posts: 285
    Glad to hear that you are alright! I had heard a similar story from the salesman I bought my G35 from at Infiniti of Nashville. He also was hit in the side by a car that ran a stop light, rolled three times, including taking OUT a phone pole and WALKED AWAY... without even any scrapes. I saw the pictures and it was REALLY, REALLY TOTALED! UGLY! Needless to say, he bought another QX4. :)

BTW, you pictures don't come up when I click on the link. I would be very interested in seeing them.

Scott
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    I would get a 2001 at least since it has more power (240 vs. 170 hp). Many of them should have about 50 K miles on them and you should be able to find one in good condition. Yes, it will cost a little more but I promise you, it will be worth it.
  • spudgalspudgal Posts: 35
    A word of advice; when you get your next Qx4, take it easy - the first few times you get in it, you'll probably start shaking - I know I did! I took me a couple of months to settle into mine after my one and only accident in 12 years of driving - and it was a doozy!

I totalled my first Qx4 (and my first ever new car) back in 97. I'd only had it 3 weeks, and was driving to a friend's house at 6am to go walking. Turning left, just didn't see the other guy coming - my own stupid fault; I should have looked 15 more times :/ There was some comment from the policeman in attendance that the other guy was speeding, but I never saw the report.

Anyway, there wasn't much left of the front of the Qx4 after the dust settled. We hit front left corner to front left corner (as in the IIHS test), and the force of the impact swung the Q around to hit at the back too. I had stopped then pulled away, so was doing 10 mph max.

The other car was a 70's Ford coupe; the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt. He had concussion, but was OK. I had bumps and bruises, a cut on my forehead from the airbag when it broke my sunglasses (both went off in my case) I was very glad of it! When speaking to the body shop who stored it for me, they said I should be grateful I wasn't in the Celica I had sold the week before.

Infiniti were great; after three weeks of negotiations between them, the Insurance company and us, I got a replacement.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    You said "QX4 has a line (electrical conductor) running vertically in the center of front windshield, which is slightly distracting."

I currently drive a 2000 PF with that same windshield. That's the second radio antenna. After a few days, you don't even notice it anymore. What you do notice is that it helps provide you with some of the best reception possible.

By the "no front door light", do you mean a light to guide you to the door lock? If so, I don't recall ever using the key to unlock the PF door - the keyfob unlocks the vehicle and turns on the interior lights. I assume the QX4 does the same thing.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    Hi couimet:
    What I said "front door light" is the light on the inner door panel, close to lower door edge. My RX300 and Maxima has that. When door is open it lights up the ground.
    My QX4 has only got 200 miles. I'm enjoying it more and more.
    By the way, it's 4 wheel drive, plus the premium package, sunroof, sunroof wind deflector, rear wind deflector, for $33555 (MSRP $37755 - $4200),
    plus tax, doc, etc. CarsDirect's big discount ends 5/31 but my dealer still has $4000 off on each QX4.
  • cretecrete Posts: 105
    I got my QX4 a few weeks ago and have just reached 400 miles. I like the ride much better than the Pathfinder I had. I remember on the Pathfinder, it had the option Limited Slip Differential. When I got the QX4 it made no mention of this anywhere on the sticker but I remember reading somewhere that the Limited Slip is standard on Qx4. Does anyone know if this is true?

Mine is 4wd plus the premium package, sunroof, sunroof wind deflector, rear wind deflector, for $ 32500. (plus TTL).
    Hi crete,
    You got better deal.
    I remember Limited Slip is bundled in the Heated Seat package on 4WD, not on 2WD. It's described in the 02 QX4's brochure.
    The brochure says:
    -- Leather-appointed interior
    -- Leather-wrapped steering wheel, parking brake and gearshit knob

The window sticker says:
    -- Leather seating surfaces w/leather-wrapped steering wheel & parking brake

I guess sticker is more accurate? But Infiniti brochure is also official and should be accurate. When I clean up the interior I want to use the correct cleaner on different surfaces.
    2001 window sticker says "wood-tone & leather steering wheel". Does wood-tone mean simulated wood? However it looks real wood just like the other wood pieces.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,536
    But I thought it was real when my Dad first picked up his 2001 QX4 in November 2000. I think it adds a nice touch to the car's interior.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nickg5nickg5 Posts: 16
    hi everybody,

I am looking to purchase one of those two. I know they are just about the same but I am not sure. Should I go for the better warranty and a couple extra bells and whistles? Or stick with the Nissan Pathy?

Any input will be appreciated
    well, you've chosen two very worthy SUVs to pick between. A lot of it all depends on what your needs are. The Pathfinder is a great truck and can be had for a better price. The Pathfinder has a sportier (read more rugged) ride. If price is an issue, I'd definitely stick with the Pathfinder.

The QX4 has a slightly softer suspension (ride quality is exceptional for a Truck w/ a live rear Axle), nicer leather, and the aforementioned bells and whistles which you speak of. Personally I like the look of the Q better. The 17" 3 spoke wheels are nice looking too. There aren't as many QX4s on the road as Pathfinders.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

From my experience, the service department at your local Infiniti Dealer will be significantly better than service at the Nissan Dealer.

Both Nissan and Infiniti are trying to sell cars. nissan tries to appeal to a mass market whereas Infiniti appeals to more of a luxury buyer. Infiniti is dedicated to customer service.

jiamin: I can't really discern a difference between what the brochure says and what the sticker says. Are you talking about whether or not the whole seat (back and sides included) is covered in leather? I think its all leather from what I can tell on mine. The wood is a simulated wood plastic. I am not sure I would want REAL wood in my car anyway. How would that hold up?

nickg5: I would go for the QX4. It is really not that much different in price and you will REALLY enjoy the differences. You actually feel like a person at the dealer instead of a number too.
    nickg5 --
    I had the new 02 Path LE and traded it in for the 02 QX4 for several resaons.
    For the extra $2K-4K depending on the deal you can get on the price look at what you get in the QX4 over the Path.

-- Xenon Headlights
    -- Better sound insulation for a quieter cabin
    -- Slightly smoother ride
    -- Longer warranty 48 months vs 36 mos
    -- Nicer look and feel of leather seats, interior simulated wood trim
    -- More refined looking climate controls and instrument panel.
    -- Power Antenna
    -- Remote release for rear glass and fuel filler door on driver armrest
    -- Much better dealer service, loaner car, more professional
    -- Better resale value
    -- Better looking exterior trim and body moldings.
    -- Intelligent cruise control as an option

I would say if any three of these features appeal to you then it is well worth the extra cost if you plan on having the suv for many years. After driving the Path for 2 months and now driving the QX4 for a month, I don't regret my decision at all.

Both of these suvs are very good dependable vehicles, I hope you make the choice thats right for you. Enjoy!
    I would think that the wording for leather wrapped and leather surface would mean the same as far as material is concerned, I think it is all leather. But I still can't determine if I have Limited Slip differential on mine or not. I didn't get the heated package which then means I don't have it, correct?
    Yes on QX4 it's hard to tell if seats are all leather or partial. On my 00 RX300, easy to hand-feel it's partial.
    2002's sticker and brochure all say "genuine bird-eye maple wood. To me real wood is better than some simulated wood. However one saleman said real wood will crack bur synthetic material (simulated wood) won't. Everybody says theirs is the best...
    but I doubt the seats are covered in full leather. It is most likely partial leather.

• reb12reb12 Posts: 41
    My dealer said the QX4 was being discontinued and replaced by the FX45. After looking at the FX45 pics I would say the QX4 was being discontinued, wouldn't you? They are vastly different and the FX45 does not have the SUV look or function. It is more like the Lexus RX mini van I think.
    The 02 QX4 brochure says LSD is in the heated seat package with 4WD, not with 2WD. I have copy of the 01 sticker from my company friend's 2WD. It has heated seats but no LSD is shown on the sticker.
    BTW, Pathfinder brochure says LSD is standard on SE stick shift.
    I can't see how they would discontinue the QX4 and have only the FX45 as their only SUV. Besides the FX45 is being marketed as a crossover SUV, more sport less utility. If they only have the one FX45 then Infiniti is closing the door for SUV buyers who still want the full size utility at a price below $40K. By having both SUVs they can still satisfy buyers in the $35-40 range and the more upscale buyer would get the FX45 in the $45+ range.
    Yes they are two different types of vehicles, all the more reason to keep both. The FX45 looks like it shares some styling designs with the new Nissan Murano. While the QX4 would share styling designs with the newly resized Pathfinder coming out around 2004.
  • smitonsmiton Posts: 10
    Hello All -- I recently purchased a 2002 QX4 black/black with premium package and sunroof. I have driven it for about 6 weeks and have put about 1500 miles on it. The truck is an absolute joy!

My question is ---when I brake hard, I hear a grinding noise and I am wondering if this is normal or if this a charateristic of drum brakes? Has anyone experienced this situation?
    Welcome to the club of QX4 owners. I love mine too. I obviously have not braked hard enough to experience what you are. I would take it back to the dealer. It doesn't sound normal. I have 5200 miles on mine now after buying 1/29/02.
    It could be the ABS brake system trying to engage when you hit the brakes hard. Have a dealer look at it.
    I noticed a few drops of water coming off the bottom part the muffler. I found a small hole about 1/8" big near the bottom edge of the muffler and it appears water is dripping out of it. Is this normal? The hole looks perfectly cut as if from the factory and maybe it is a drain outlet or something. Has anyone else noticed this. The pavement does appear wet right underneath that area.
  • lvnlvn Posts: 3
    Can someone please tell me where it is? If I am standing at the front, looking at the engine, is the Oil Filter on the left, right, up, down? I can't find it. Thanks,
  • sliangsliang Posts: 50
    Where did you get your QX4 deal? Your price is about $1500 under the invoice. Is Infiniti providing dealer incentive?
    I also happen to live in the Bay Area.
    I thought crete got about $2200 under invoice? I didn't have enough time to compare between dealers so as long as their price is close to CarsDirect.com I just took it. What happened to my 96 Maxima one day before I bought QX4? I parked it on the street where the same Infiniti dealer is, and someone fell asleep and smashed my whole trunk! Some frame damage. His insurance is in the process of estimating my junk car and deciding how much they'll pay me. I need a car to commute...

BTW lvn, my friend said his 01 QX4's oil filter is "under", and he has to take off a plastic cover to expose the filter. I think one picture in the owner's manual roughly shows where the oil filter is.
    I got mine at Frontier Infiniti in Santa Clara, I got a message from a salesman I met there earlier that they were offering discounted QX4's. I didn't hear anything about dealer incentives and I never really checked what the invoice price would be, just went in and worked out a deal for a new QX4 with my Pathfinder as trade-in. I finance the difference through Infiniti @ 0.9% for 36 months.

They had about 12 QX4's sitting on their lot, so I had several to choose from. My salesperson there was Laura Blanc, she was very nice and helpful. Overall a pleasant dealer experience, waited about an hour for them to clean and prep the SUV, left them my Pathfinder and drove away in my new QX4 with only 11 miles on it.