Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mazda CX-9

Comments

• svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...Yeap!...THAT id the sad part of it...they (the dealer) wants you to believe that etching saves you money in in surance premiums....I don't understand why the do this...won't it be simpler to bury the $200 somewhere in the negotiations?...is like when they tell you are getting "invoice" price..there is a $900 (about) included in advertising.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    I disagree. It could be insurance-dependent, but with my previous carriers (StateFarm, AIG, Liberty Mutual) VIN etching is considered class 3 protection (with LoJack being class 4), while an alarm is either class 1 or 2. It's a moot point, anyway, since the discount is off your comprehensive insurance, which is a rather small portion of your total premium.

But to chime in, VIN etching prices charged by the dealer are a total ripoff. The fact that they make it appear as if it is required is criminal, and in my humble opinion, it detracts from the look of the vehicle. I've also read somewhere that it affects integrity of the glass, but that's BS in my opinion.
  • todostodos Member Posts: 13
    I went to several dealers here in NJ and they kept pushing etching as being mandatory. Once I confirmed with my insurance NJ Manufacturers that etching would only save me about $10, i made up my mind NOT to pay for it.

I made it clear to dealers up front when I emailed or called that I am not going to pay etching. I didnt even give them a chance to tell me that they charge for it or now.. For me it worked.... Many dealers I dealt with immediately changed their tune and went to their managers to have the fee waived.

The thing with Wayne Mazda is that they love to beat prices.. So if you are willing to be harsh with them and inform them of other options out there, they will bend.

I ended up buying from Ramsey Mazda, but after I found the vehicle that I wanted at Hamilton Mazda way down in South Jersey. When the dealer there wouldnt bend on price and trade and etching, the sales person who I was dealing with at Ramsey, went the extra mile and not only went for the vehicle on my behalf all the way down to Hamilton but also gave me an additional 1000 for my trade in plus coupon on the website for extra 500 off plus waived the etching fee upfront.

I didnt mind gettig my vehicle with 150 miles on it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It could be insurance-dependent

I agree - some companies do give you a break for etching. Mine doesn't (AIG). Some companies give you a break, but only let you stack 2 or 3 discounts together, so it still doesn't pay off in those cases.

Car dealers have a tough time. Consumers are smarter, and cars don't break down nearly as often, so the repair center isn't as profitable. Commissions and profits on used cars typically are way higher than new ones too, but more folks are buying from CarMax and off eBay and Craigslist and Kijiji. And their customers all lie to them too. :P

Smart Shopper is full of stories....
    You did good!...and yu are correct who cares about 150 miles when you are making a considerable saving.
    Wyne Mazda,and I guess a few others, do have the etching already printed in the sales slip....this is a shame....
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Mazda has released the 2008 pricing information for the CX-9. Seems like there is a price increase for all models.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/pricing_update/CX9-2008-pricing.pdf
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200706/070612.html

Mazda Awarded First Place in Auto Bild Magazine’s “Quality Report” for the Third Year Running

HIROSHIMA, Japan— Auto Bild, Germany’s largest car magazine, has ranked Mazda in first place in its highly respected “Quality Report” for 2007, which was published on June 8. This was the third straight year that Mazda has been awarded first place in this annual report.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    FRANKFURT, Germany - This is the 47th straight year Mazda has not sold a CX-9 in the German market.
  • satwarsatwar Member Posts: 6
    Review of Canadian 2008 CX-9 models

Canadian Driver Review
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Wayne Mazda does not have any 2008 CX-9's in stock. No one does. They have a bunch on order, as does everyone else.

They are the biggest dealer in the country, but, they are on the east coast. The west coast dealers usually get vehicles first, especially since the CX-9's come from Japan.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    Just talked to our local dealer about pre-ordering a GT FWD 08'. He estimated the delivery for December because the vehicle would have to be produced and brought from Japan.

He did say that we could switch to another of our liking if they happened to have one on the floor before then, as long as our order did not include any options that made it harder for them to sell it.

I am in North Carolina and they said they would honor the S-Price for my employer.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Hi,

Had 2 MPVs but wife and kids are tired of minivan. Looking at CX 9 and would like to try and get a left over 2007. Am I going to have a tough time? Don't want AWD because of lower mileage and cost but extra options on car won't bother me. Seems that availability of these is a lot less than on mini-vans. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill
    Hey everyone, incase some of you have questions about the 2008 CX-8 3.7L engine, it will be built in Japan at Mazda's Ujina engine plant, near Mazda head quarters in Hiroshima. This makes the entire CX-9 built by the Japanese

I wonder if the .2L upgrade was a Mazda idea, rather then Ford?
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    avi, that's what my rep. said about the 3.5L! So be carefull with anything MNOA provides, I learned that leason.
    The increase is for sure a Ford plan, its their motor, and will be available for the 08 Lin. lineup.
    Because the engine is now produced in Japan, I'm sure the increase in engine size is ultimately a Mazda decision. They could have chosen to stay with the 3.5 V6 currently in the 2008 Edge and Lincoln MKX. As much as Ford purists would like to have the 3.7 in their lineup for the 08 model year, Lincoln will not get a version until the 09 model year (MKS 3.7 twin force). As far as I know, Mazda engineers have been part of the development team for the V6 engines. How else do you explain how Mazda gets the 3.7 engine before any other Ford? Below is the link to Mazda's press release on the start of production for the 3.7 engine.

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200707/070720a.html
    My rep told me the 3.5L was built here, shipped over there. But, on Mazda's web page, they said the Ujina plant is now building the 3.7L engine. We will see when we see the window sticker read "Engine assembly: Japan".
  • wwwwww Member Posts: 8
    I want to by an 07 tourng or grand touring. Having trouble finding a touring in the area that I can actually get into and sit in to compare to the grand touring and sport. can someone give me opinins on how the INSIDE feels and looks on the Touring and how it compares in the inside to the GT and the Sport (am aware of the 18-20 inch wheel dif). I can get my dealer to find me a tourng and get it to his location, but I have to give a downpayment that might be hard to refund if I change my mine.
    Thanks!
    Eric
  • yyman1yyman1 Member Posts: 2
    Okay I just bought a CX-9 Touring with Moonroof and Bose and so far so good. However, the dealer did not include the 20-page manual that explains how to use the satellite radio. I called the dealer and they said that they would try and mail me the documents (don't really want to drive 50 miles).

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy so this is really bothering me. Anyway, if someone could give me the basic info - like how to get the ESN number I would really appreciate it. Also, if there's anything thats not intuitive about the system I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I searched online for the info and couldn't find it. I also called Mazda and they said they couldn't email it to me and I HAD to go back to the dealer.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    yyman,

Being tech savvy I'll bet you don't even need the manual. The best way to get the ESN is to call the 800 number for sirius...go to their site, it's there. The customer rep will take you thru the process (including getting the ESN) inside of 5 maybe 10 minutes. You probably have a free trial period and after that you pay a contract. Consider the lifetime membership as you can transfer that to other radios up to 3 times for a $75 change fee each time. If you keep it (Satellite radio, not the car since you can change it) long term, lifetime is the way to go...Good luck!
    The "touring" Mazda CX-9 will have a flat finish on the steering wheel, as opposed to the piano black on the GT, the dash lay out is the same, the leather is the same. The wood like trim on the GT is piano black finish on the touring. The door handles are not chrome on the touring. No HID's on the Touring, either. Also, no fog lights or chrome trim on the tail gate. One last thing, the GT will have a blue light background on the red gauges, and the touring is just red.

The overall feel is basically the same. It is just a matter if the other stuff matters to you?
    like how to get the ESN number I would really appreciate it

press and hold the black knob on the left side of your radio controls and your ESN will display on the info screen.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    I highly recomend that you spend as much time in the CX-9 seats as you can before you buy one. The seats in mine are hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. I am going to have to traid the vehicle soon or completely have the seat bottoms re-built. Neither Mazda or the dealer is even willing to take a look at the seats in my CX-9 to see if their is a problem. I got a polite but official screw you from both of them...

I spend a lot of time in the seats 4-6hr per day and I cannot even drive it witout using a seat cushion.

Many people do not seem to have a problem, but a few of us larger people find the seat to be intolerable for long repeatitive use...

Good luck....
    The NHTSA has release the crash test results for the Mazda CX-9. Five stars for both frontal and side crashes and four stars for rollover. link below.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/4462.html
    We just received our first 2008 CX-9's today, and I was reading the window sticker, and it states that the engine parts are Japanese. So, it seems the entire 3.7L engine is now Japanese built. Obviously the base design was Ford's, as we all know. I wonder if this means increased reliability?
  • pricememberpricemember Member Posts: 12
    I just want to comment on what the seat problem guy is saying....On another forum he said he fixed his seat issue so why is he now saying he has to get it rebuilt? Something fishy going on here. :confuse:
  • poof100poof100 Member Posts: 20
    Just ignore the comments about the Seat problems. He had a unique seat issue that he has gone on and on and on about on any forum he can. There was a unique defect in his seat that needed to be fixed. This isn't common among all CX-9 seats. His mission is to slam the car and the seats everywhere he goes though. Most find the CX-9 seats some of the most comfortable out there, even for larger people.
    ...I agree with you, but it appears that even though the CX 9 is a great car,most owners are havinga series of "small" issues that keep poping up here an dthere...security,nav,auto seats,etc....sometimes I wonder if it is an "owner" problem or is it reality...remember the old saying"perception can become reality"...for those little problem I am lianing to the EDGE...yes some seem to think that the EDGE is more in line with the CX 7...but not to me since I am the one making the final decision on what to buy..
  • rapatelrockyrapatelrocky Member Posts: 4
    I bought a CX-9 GT AWD a few weeks ago (just under 1000 miles on it now) and I did find it slightly stiff, but compared it to my 2003 Accord EX-V6 and turned out the seats were _much_ better padded on the CX-9 than on the Accord. On the Accord there is a horizontal seam that had me uncomfortable after a few hours, but the CX-9 was definitely much more comfortable long haul. The suspension is stiff, but it gives almost equivalent handling to the 2003 Accord EX V-6 with obvious feel of the additional height and weight, but it is not far in response from the Accord [though suspension is stiffer than Accord to permit equivalent handling]. Seats are still more comfortable than my Accord and the Accord is considered a good compromise by most sedan standards.
    Poof100 statments are not quite accurate. I have seen the seats in several CX-9s. They do not appear to be any different from mine. However, I do admit that neither Mazda or my dealer is willing to even take a look at the seats to see if there is a defect. I have practically begged them to do so and all I got in return is a "screw you". I admit that I have a low opinion of Mazda and the dealer as a result.

All I can base my opinion on are the facts at hand. First, the seats are so hard they are nearly intolerable. Second, I am NOT the only person who has had a similar problem.

If stating my opinion based on my experiance is wrong, then there is little reason to have fourms like this one...
  • lazyace13lazyace13 Member Posts: 15
    I just did a 1,000 mile trip and found the GT seats to be extremely comfortable! I wasn't tired and my back didn't hurt at all after several hours of driving. I'm 6'01" and weigh 240#. You couldn't ask for better fitting or better constructed seats than these. The seat memory and power lumbar work great and you can program your smart key to set the seat to your specs upon unlocking the car. I researched this car for months before buying and I made a great choice. My wife and I both love the CX-9. No nit picks here! :)
    ....besides the GT is it AWD?...and what otheroptions you got?...what is your opinion about the nav?...and the stereo?
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    We have had the CX-9 GT AWD Bose/Nav for about couple of months now. We are extremely happy with the vehicle. Every time I take it for a drive I love the way it drives.
    The nav felt a little quirky in the beginning but once we got familiar with it, we like it now. Bluetooth works quite well. (If you have the fan in full blast you need to reduce the fan speed a little for the voice recog to work well). The rain-sensing wipers work quite well. Impressive audio system. Love the keyless start. And the Xenons. I would like a little bit more power/torque on this vehicle - but who wouldn't on any vehicle? ;)
    Overall, a slick, fun family hauler.
    ...that is just the way I want it but I will have to wait for the 09 since the 07 are all gone from my area..the way i want it...what color and interior you got?..
    sometimes I wonder if it is an "owner" problem or is it reality

It's called "a loose nut behind the wheel"...
    ...correction I meant an 08...that was "finger check"...sorry
    I like that never heard of it and I think it is very possible. Like I said all the complaints are very minor stuff but can help to wonder..the only real problem I heard was the gent with the seat issue....and like they say "S^&^ happens"..but when it happens to you it hurts....
    Sh** does happen. But, the grudges some people drag out over and over and then slam the vehicle by saying "don't buy it" becuase of something small (and it seemed to be fixed)is just crazy.
  • todostodos Member Posts: 13
    I have had my cx9 since June 3 and I love it. FWD, Touring COPPER RED with Nav. The look, the color, the cleanliness, the seats etc., I pulled after looking at many people and researching for months. Are there minor issues that bother me? sure, but I paid my money and I plan to enjoy it fully!!!

One neat thing I found out about the car recently when I was doing a thorough cleaning is that under the front passenger side mat, under a little pull up slot, the VIN number is etched into the floor of the vehicle. Thankfully I didnt purchase window etching before, but this is more ammunition for people not to purchase window etching. Here is the reality, thieves can break your window and tear off your dash board where your VIN is, however they will not rip out the floor of the vehicle.

Bottom Line- I love my CX9. My wife loves it, when I frive places people are in awe at how great the vehicle looks...
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    I've sat (pardon the pun) by watching the seat issue(r) come in when it seems the cx-9 is grooving with praise... and he (you) do(es) seem to purposly discourage people from our car. As a emp. of a dealer... 1) I'm a bit amazed at the "screw you" (supposed) response recieved... with a new car all manufactures bend over backwards to make it right... 2) They say when you love it you tell a few ... when you hate it you spew spew spew... and it seems that way here. 3) bottom ( no pun again intended ) line is... with anything made...there's potential for issues to come up... how you the owner present the issue works greatly towards how they (we) the dealer "choses" to handle it.

ps; 07 CXy9 (cuz its soooo sexy) AWD Gt sparkling black, nav system, dvd and power assist... I totaly love it! more so ... so does she ;)
    You are correct in most points,but you fail to understand that this individual payed (or is paying) a good chunk of money and he feels that neither the dealer or Mazda has come to his rescue, on that I can understand his anger.
    It is not unusual to see people in that position to bash anything about the car no matter how great it is..I guess is his way to get back at Mazda and the dealer.
    We all should understand that and continue forward hoping that we do not encounter any kind of "fluke" in our ne w beloved car CX 9 or any other
    First of all, you guys know nothing about me and are making way too many assumptions. I am not a hot head. I was very patient with the service manager at the dealership. However, all he would do is look at the seat and say that their is no problem and refuse to do anything else. I called Mazda customer service and they simply said that they cannot do anything. I know that these conversations are recorded, so if Mazda wants to deny any of this I suggest that they make a transcript of the recordings..

The local Mazda rep failed to show up when he said he would to look at the seat. I drove (50 miles ) one way to the dealership to wait on him. After he was two hours late, and never called, I left.

If that is not a "screw you", I do not know what is...

I carried it to another Mazda dealer. I explained the situation and they at least took the car for a drive. He did comment that he through that the leather was a little harder than it should be. He called the Mazda Rep. He never returned the call. This delar told me that he did not want to get in the middle of the situation and I understood his position.

You guys are welcome to trash me all you want, but it will not change the fact that I bought a $35,000 vehicle that is nearly intolerable to drive without a cushion in the seat. I admit that I am quite bitter about the situation, however, I also believe it is fair to warn people that they may well experiance the same problem. That is exactly what these forums are all about.

If you do not like hearing the truth about my situation, there is a very simple solution...

DO NOT READ THEM....

P.S. I did get a lot of satisfaction yesterday when I filled out my JD Powers Survey about the dealership and the CX-9. I know it will not make any difference, but it felt good...
    ....I understand your pain...one more thing, have tried writting to a persona; letter to a higher up?...I know those letters are replied to by a secretary but sometimes it cashes the ear of someone and you could get some results....what do you have to loose?..
    I did write a letter and I got a form letter back with the typical "Thank you for you commnents" type of responce...

When I called Mazda I asked repeatedly to be pass up to a manager. The person refused to do so. I assume that they are trained to do this...
    ..sorry to hear,but did you try to find out the name of someone in marketing?..those are the guys that usually drive the compnay
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    I'm not trying to nor wishing to trash you... Just trying to offer multiple views of the situations... I'm totaly surprised at the lack of help, or basic concern you've gotten... I'll say this... if you wish to forward me all your information... I'll personaly give it to my rep... In fact ... I'm off to a meeting th 24th with Mazda managers and reps... and can bring it all there... I can't promise they'll "do" anything... but I "will" get a rep to contact you. I hate lack of response more than anything... If they're not going to do anything... rather than avoiding the conversation... it needs to be clearly communicated to you or any and every customer. period!.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    Does anybody know when the 08's start to show up at the dealers? Our local dealer is playing coy, hiding the brochures, etc.
    Since he previously stated that he has had some upholstery modifications done to the seat by either cutting or adding foam to the seat, I doubt Mazda will be able to do much for him.
  • pricememberpricemember Member Posts: 12
    He should start his own website about the seat or all the seats whatever it is and get off this forum and all the others that all you hear is this blasted seat stuff everywhere.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can always scroll past any postings you don't wish to read.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Well said host....