Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    But I thought it was real when my Dad first picked up his 2001 QX4 in November 2000. I think it adds a nice touch to the car's interior.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nickg5nickg5 Member Posts: 16
    hi everybody,

I am looking to purchase one of those two. I know they are just about the same but I am not sure. Should I go for the better warranty and a couple extra bells and whistles? Or stick with the Nissan Pathy?

Any input will be appreciated
    well, you've chosen two very worthy SUVs to pick between. A lot of it all depends on what your needs are. The Pathfinder is a great truck and can be had for a better price. The Pathfinder has a sportier (read more rugged) ride. If price is an issue, I'd definitely stick with the Pathfinder.

The QX4 has a slightly softer suspension (ride quality is exceptional for a Truck w/ a live rear Axle), nicer leather, and the aforementioned bells and whistles which you speak of. Personally I like the look of the Q better. The 17" 3 spoke wheels are nice looking too. There aren't as many QX4s on the road as Pathfinders.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

From my experience, the service department at your local Infiniti Dealer will be significantly better than service at the Nissan Dealer.

Both Nissan and Infiniti are trying to sell cars. nissan tries to appeal to a mass market whereas Infiniti appeals to more of a luxury buyer. Infiniti is dedicated to customer service.

• bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    jiamin: I can't really discern a difference between what the brochure says and what the sticker says. Are you talking about whether or not the whole seat (back and sides included) is covered in leather? I think its all leather from what I can tell on mine. The wood is a simulated wood plastic. I am not sure I would want REAL wood in my car anyway. How would that hold up?

nickg5: I would go for the QX4. It is really not that much different in price and you will REALLY enjoy the differences. You actually feel like a person at the dealer instead of a number too.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    nickg5 --
    I had the new 02 Path LE and traded it in for the 02 QX4 for several resaons.
    For the extra $2K-4K depending on the deal you can get on the price look at what you get in the QX4 over the Path.

-- Xenon Headlights
    -- Better sound insulation for a quieter cabin
    -- Slightly smoother ride
    -- Longer warranty 48 months vs 36 mos
    -- Nicer look and feel of leather seats, interior simulated wood trim
    -- More refined looking climate controls and instrument panel.
    -- Power Antenna
    -- Remote release for rear glass and fuel filler door on driver armrest
    -- Much better dealer service, loaner car, more professional
    -- Better resale value
    -- Better looking exterior trim and body moldings.
    -- Intelligent cruise control as an option

I would say if any three of these features appeal to you then it is well worth the extra cost if you plan on having the suv for many years. After driving the Path for 2 months and now driving the QX4 for a month, I don't regret my decision at all.

Both of these suvs are very good dependable vehicles, I hope you make the choice thats right for you. Enjoy!
    I would think that the wording for leather wrapped and leather surface would mean the same as far as material is concerned, I think it is all leather. But I still can't determine if I have Limited Slip differential on mine or not. I didn't get the heated package which then means I don't have it, correct?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Yes on QX4 it's hard to tell if seats are all leather or partial. On my 00 RX300, easy to hand-feel it's partial.
    2002's sticker and brochure all say "genuine bird-eye maple wood. To me real wood is better than some simulated wood. However one saleman said real wood will crack bur synthetic material (simulated wood) won't. Everybody says theirs is the best...
    but I doubt the seats are covered in full leather. It is most likely partial leather.

• reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    My dealer said the QX4 was being discontinued and replaced by the FX45. After looking at the FX45 pics I would say the QX4 was being discontinued, wouldn't you? They are vastly different and the FX45 does not have the SUV look or function. It is more like the Lexus RX mini van I think.
    The 02 QX4 brochure says LSD is in the heated seat package with 4WD, not with 2WD. I have copy of the 01 sticker from my company friend's 2WD. It has heated seats but no LSD is shown on the sticker.
    BTW, Pathfinder brochure says LSD is standard on SE stick shift.
    I can't see how they would discontinue the QX4 and have only the FX45 as their only SUV. Besides the FX45 is being marketed as a crossover SUV, more sport less utility. If they only have the one FX45 then Infiniti is closing the door for SUV buyers who still want the full size utility at a price below $40K. By having both SUVs they can still satisfy buyers in the $35-40 range and the more upscale buyer would get the FX45 in the $45+ range.
    Yes they are two different types of vehicles, all the more reason to keep both. The FX45 looks like it shares some styling designs with the new Nissan Murano. While the QX4 would share styling designs with the newly resized Pathfinder coming out around 2004.
  • smitonsmiton Member Posts: 30
    Hello All -- I recently purchased a 2002 QX4 black/black with premium package and sunroof. I have driven it for about 6 weeks and have put about 1500 miles on it. The truck is an absolute joy!

My question is ---when I brake hard, I hear a grinding noise and I am wondering if this is normal or if this a charateristic of drum brakes? Has anyone experienced this situation?
    Welcome to the club of QX4 owners. I love mine too. I obviously have not braked hard enough to experience what you are. I would take it back to the dealer. It doesn't sound normal. I have 5200 miles on mine now after buying 1/29/02.
    It could be the ABS brake system trying to engage when you hit the brakes hard. Have a dealer look at it.
    I noticed a few drops of water coming off the bottom part the muffler. I found a small hole about 1/8" big near the bottom edge of the muffler and it appears water is dripping out of it. Is this normal? The hole looks perfectly cut as if from the factory and maybe it is a drain outlet or something. Has anyone else noticed this. The pavement does appear wet right underneath that area.
  • lvnlvn Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please tell me where it is? If I am standing at the front, looking at the engine, is the Oil Filter on the left, right, up, down? I can't find it. Thanks,
  • sliangsliang Member Posts: 50
    Where did you get your QX4 deal? Your price is about $1500 under the invoice. Is Infiniti providing dealer incentive?
    I also happen to live in the Bay Area.
    I thought crete got about $2200 under invoice? I didn't have enough time to compare between dealers so as long as their price is close to CarsDirect.com I just took it. What happened to my 96 Maxima one day before I bought QX4? I parked it on the street where the same Infiniti dealer is, and someone fell asleep and smashed my whole trunk! Some frame damage. His insurance is in the process of estimating my junk car and deciding how much they'll pay me. I need a car to commute...

BTW lvn, my friend said his 01 QX4's oil filter is "under", and he has to take off a plastic cover to expose the filter. I think one picture in the owner's manual roughly shows where the oil filter is.
    I got mine at Frontier Infiniti in Santa Clara, I got a message from a salesman I met there earlier that they were offering discounted QX4's. I didn't hear anything about dealer incentives and I never really checked what the invoice price would be, just went in and worked out a deal for a new QX4 with my Pathfinder as trade-in. I finance the difference through Infiniti @ 0.9% for 36 months.

They had about 12 QX4's sitting on their lot, so I had several to choose from. My salesperson there was Laura Blanc, she was very nice and helpful. Overall a pleasant dealer experience, waited about an hour for them to clean and prep the SUV, left them my Pathfinder and drove away in my new QX4 with only 11 miles on it.
  • citykid2citykid2 Member Posts: 4
    Hello to all - after months of car shopping, research and very helpful reading at this site I am posting my first message. This morning (June 8) I bought a 2002 QX4 4WD, but am not taking delivery until Friday. I am extremely excited about everything it offers, except just don't understand the vertical-stripe radio antenna running down the middle of the windshield. What I'd like to ask is: why is it there, what are your reactions to it, and does it become less noticeable, i.e., can you make me feel better about this between now and Friday? (And if not, is it removable, in light of the hood-mounted power antenna?) Thank you. I look forward to your replies.
  • couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    The combination of the regular antenna and the in-glass antenna help give you better reception. It's the best reception I've ever had in a vehicle.

And in a week or two, you won't notice it anymore. In fact, it's people like you asking about it or some passengers asking what it is that keeps reminding me it's there ...
    Hi citykid2,
    I read somewhere that the in-glass antenna is NOT the one in the middile on the front windshied BUT on the rear glass. The front is (? my saleperson guessed) for compass. No matter what it is, after only about 10 days of driving it, I almost never notice it that often. Yes once in a while I notice it's there, but its distraction is very minimal to almost none.
    The in-glass wire on the front windshield. When you push the front defroster button, I don't hear a sound of a fan or feel air blowing on the windshield, so I thought the wire was heating it. Can someone show us where to get an authoritative answer? Is it in the manual somewhere?
  • petem5petem5 Member Posts: 21
    Citykid, congrats on your QX4 decision. What color are you getting? You will never notice the windshield -- I don't. I have had my 2001 Q for 10 months and have almost 14,000 miles and I love everything about it. I really like the fact that there aren't a lot of them out there -- I'm sure others envy our good taste because the Q turns a lot of heads.
  • citykid2citykid2 Member Posts: 4
    Dear Friends -- I was delighted by your replies and also to actually be part of your group now. You have made me feel much better about the in-window antenna, or compass, or defroster (I'll let you know if I learn more on Friday at delivery). I am more excited about this car with each passing hour. Today, I parked my rental car in a lot next to a black QX4 and got out and just walked around and stared at it, incredulous at my good fortune; they are so beautiful and understated -- and I agree, petem5, that part of the charm is their smaller numbers. I have been shopping since November and it was worth every read, every test drive, and every "yes, but" about every other car. Thanks for asking: mine will be ivory pearl/silver sage 2-tone with stone beige leather interior. Is it Friday yet?
  • scott_infinitiscott_infiniti Member Posts: 1
    INFINITI IS NOT DROPPING THE QX4 IT IS TRUE THAT THE 03 WILL BE THE LAST 6CLY/5 PASS VERSION BUT THE ALL NEW FULL SIZE QX4 WILL SEAT 7 AND SPORT A NEW V8 THE FX45 IS THE NEW BABY SUV FOR INFINITI SO DON'T WORRY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 12 YEARS INFINITI IS ACCELERATING THE FUTURE....FOR MORE DETAILS VISIT INFINITI.COM DON'T FOR GET OWNERS CLUB 2...
    Getting anxious heh ...

Personally, my 2000 PF SE lease is running out later this summer. Seriously drouling over the thought of a black QX4. But, if it'll keep my wife happy, a charcoal or silver QX4 ...
    I kept reading either owner's manual and the brochure, and noticed that in the brochure on page 6, the picture shows right under steering wheel cruise control "COAST/SET" button there is another button that has a car on a "slipery road". I guess it's a traction control ON/OFF button? But QX4 does not have that feature?
  • willdrewwilldrew Member Posts: 1
    I currently drive a 96' GMC Jimmy 4x4 with 60K on it. I have a friend who wants to sell me his immaculate QX4. It is a 97 with 80K on it and he only wants 12,500 for it. It is in wonderful shape and is burgundy in color. My only hang up is the milage. I figured I would drop a message on here so see how long these things run for. I am just looking for a general number. Should I be able to get 150-200K on one of these?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    is exactly that. It is described clearly in the manual. It is common to both the PF and QX4. Any salesman telling you otherwise should really know their vehicles better....:-)
    02 QX4 brochure onpage 21,it says "Automatic power antenna and rear in-glass antenna with diversity system", unless it's a misprint. It can also be verified by unpluging two connectors on the rear glass, and see if the receiption gets worse.
  • just_bugginjust_buggin Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!!!
    Can anyone tell me where I can find qx4 brakes and other parts without paying over priced dealer rates. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    (or should that be tire). My '02 has the 17" wheels - what brand tires do the other owners have on their Qx4? I have Bridgestones, which seem OK, but I'm just curious. (I'm not worried about the tread seperation thing - it's not an Explorer after all). They seem to be more road tires than off-road types.
    It wouldn't make sense to me that the antenna is on the rear glass, too much of a cable run to the radio. It would be easier to run the connection from the front windshield directly into the radio system. It could be the rear connections are for the rear window defroster.

Has anyone bought any of these Infiniti accessories; Pet Divider ($137), Cargo Area protector ($97)? I'm thinking of buying them and wanted to know if they are worth the cost Infiniti charges or if I should buy them somewhere else.
    I only bought nose mask, and only put the top piece on. The bottom piece is so tight that I felt I may scratch or bend something. My RX300 does not have mask and twice I drove about 500 miles, I got a small chipped paint each time, on the front hood.
    Has anyone experienced ant difference between regular and premium gas on QX4? Idle smoothness, acceleration, MPG, etc.? With my gone 96 Maxima, I haven't found any difference.
    I too am interested in the pet barrier but not for pets. My interest is in its suitability as a safety cargo barrier - like preventing cargo from flying forward during a sudden stop. Is it secure enough? How does it attach to what?

The pictures I've seen show it behind the back seat. What if the back seats are down? How does it work behind the front seats?
    Good question on how it fits behind the front seats. The description from Infiniti says:

Pet Guard Divider
    • Enhances safety of both pets and
    passengers.
    • Corrosion-resistant, black satin
    powder-coated steel.
    • Easy, no-drill installation.

My guess is it probably has adjustable legs that when expanded will raise the divider to reach the cargo roof, thus making a snug fit between the cargo floor and the roof.

Can anyone else provide more info on its installation, and all around usefulness?
  • gregfockergregfocker Member Posts: 39
    I had a QX4 with a pet guard divider. The legs do indeed adjust so you can wedge it between the cargo floor area and your headliner.

When I installed it I really wedged it in there as good as it could be to protect my son from our dog or if we got into an accident nothing would fly over and hit him.

Unfortunately my wife did get into an accident with a few boxes in the cargo area (and no child). The boxes got airbourne and hit the Pet Guard real hard and knocked it loose. It stayed in the cargo area but could have easily launched forward.

My point is that these things work great to keep your pets from jumping over but could be dangerous as well if knocked loose in an accident.

The only way I would consider another one of these pet guards would be if they were permanently mounted in my SUV with bolts. This would make it one with the vehicle and provide the protection needed when in an accident.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Have '01 that is about 2 years old....Great truck...Have had nothing at all go wrong...It came with Michelin's...They seem OK...Would consider Dunlops if were to replace...But that's 3-4 years away...Can't imagine the new QX4 stretched out to get in another row of seats...Present design never ceases to get positive comments...
    Thanks Greg - sorry to hear about the accident bu glad no one got hurt.

I wish they'd put tie downs on the back of the back seats so we could tie things down when the seats are down. I've had to improvise with bungie cords around the folded seats in my PF ...
  • rodeodawgrodeodawg Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody know the specific amount of the Manufacturer to Dealer Incentive for the 2002 Qx4? Carsdirect says it ends 7/1/02, and I'd like to find the exact amount. Carsdirect is configuring me a 2002 at invoice price, so it must be a good incentive. Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We show $2,000 dealer cash in my zip code. Here's the link.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I don't show any cash back on any zip code? What zip code are you in? However, please remember, rodeodawg, that there is a 2% dealer holdback for Infiniti so they do make money when selling at invoice.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    You can buy pet barriers at petsmart for a lot cheaper than the one infiniti is selling. I got one for a 96 Mountaineer. Like gregfocker said, it is a generic and is adjustable to fit many different sized rear area suv's. My dog got where she did not try to jump over anymore, so I have not used mine in a while. I agree with greg that it is ok if you just want to stop a pet from jumping the back seat, but it is not sturdy enough to stop cargo in an abrupt stop. Hope this helps.

Rodeodog, in the SE the incentive is at least $2,000. Just got a 2002 QX4 2wd, premium pkg, sunroof, rear wind deflector for $31,000. If you check, this is over $2,000 below invoice. Have seen local ad for one at $29,900. The options I listed above are the minimum you can get, so it is either $1,000 cheaper than mine due to the incentive being higher, or it may be a demo. I would check your local dealers and let them know that you know about the incentive. You should be able to get at least $2000 below invoice with very little negotiating. I also got 0.9% financing for 36 months.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Edmunds did not show the dealer incentive for my zip code at the time either although it showed it for the western states, but when I know invoice is around $33,500 and I see an ad for a new 2002 QX4 at my local dealer for $31,000, I knew they were taking the incentive in my area too. And 0.9 financing. I just love only paying $276 in finance charges.
    Dealer cash looks available here in 83702 and also in 90301 that I plugged in for grins (wherever that is). Assuming you are a UT Knoxville fan, I tried 37919 and didn't see any incentives for the QX4 at all.

So maybe it's a west coast thing?

Steve
    Host
  • rodeodawgrodeodawg Member Posts: 19
    Thanks all. In my zip code (Tennessee), they don't show the dealer incentive, but, carsdirect indicates that it's available in my zip code, quoting me an invoice price for a 2002. Don't mind the dealership making a little money on me, but I wanted to have my ducks in a row before getting serious at the dealership.

Too bad you guys can't help me decide on which color I like best...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    rodeodawg,

Too bad you guys can't help me decide on which color I like best...

In the spirit of being helpful, let me try - you want the silver! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Lol, doesn't it come in Peyton Orange?

Steve
    Host