Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Yes, my 92 EX had rear disk brakes, and ABS (which saved me a couple times). You would need rotors, calipers, and probably different emergency brake cable hookups and hoses. If you could find an old EX in a junkyard, you could get the parts cheap.
  • deidtdeidt Member Posts: 1
    hello i have a 06 honda accord and i too have a pop noise from the floating calipers so says the dealer how can i fix this issue
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    Thanks a lot elroy5. I'll check around on the website and junkyards.
    Here in Hawaii, we have just a few junkyards and they charge a hand and leg for the used old parts.
    I'll start looking on ebay first.
    Oh! by the way, what does the ABS look like. Since I hav'nt owned a car with an ABS system. It's good to have but, i'll just go without it if it is possible.
    Thanks for all the help in the past with my automatic transmission.
    I know quite a bit about A/T and how it works.
    94shadow
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Its not something that's ever been "fixed" for me. Its not a problem, really. I consider it just part of the normal operation, sort of like the ABS buzz at 4MPH after each start up. My dad's 03 and 05s did this too. No brake problems to speak of whatsoever; I have 51k miles on all 4 original pads, with plenty of life left.
    The ABS conversion would be difficult. There are a wide range of parts (sensors wire harnesses, etc.) that would have to be changed/installed. It would be much easier, to just do the disk brake swap, and be satisfied with that. Hope you get what you want.
  • chloebeechloebee Member Posts: 1
    I've read a few postings here and complaints else where. It seems that several people are having the same problems. I've only had my car for 6 months (I have app. 18,000 miles) About two weeks ago I started hearing a squealing sound while driving only. I never heard it when I braked. Very strange if you ask me. I took my car back to Honda and I was told that I needed to replace my rear brakes. I have a far commute to work everyday, fighting traffic etc. and I was thinking that maybe I did need brakes already. I also got a second opinion, just to be safe. I found that I'm in need of rear brakes but only on one side. I have a 97 Honda Accord that I drove to work everyday for 5 years and I never had to replace the brakes that soon. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm just comparing the two.

My husband and I are really trying to monitor the issue. I'm going to get the brakes fixed at the dealership this weekend. If anybody wants to reply and share their issue or experience, please do so. Thanks! I'm just upset that I haven't had it for year. :confuse:
    If your 97 Accord had rear drum brakes, that would explain some of it. The 08+ Accords are obviously wearing the rear pads quickly. Has the dealership offered some discount on the brake service, since it's so early? If the rear brakes didn't last at least 20k miles, I would consider aftermarket pads, and maybe rotors too.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    My 2008 Honda Accord has 19,000 miles on it and the rear brakes are very noisy. After reading a long term wrap up on an 08 Accord in Car & Driver magazine they had to replace the rear brakes after 20,000 miles. I know that they are probably metal on metal but I do not have any cash to fix them because I have only made 14 out of my 60 payments! What ever happened to making it to 3 years before they started costing major maintenance cost. You had better look out Honda because if you you are going to build this kind of crap I am going back to ford.
    I suggest checking with the local dealership. They may be willing to help you with the cost. Most dealerships are.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    It's true , Honda is not making high quality brake parts anymore. Brakes are an ongoing problem for Honda. Many complaints of pads wearing out prematurely. My 07 Se recently made a loud metal on metal scraping sound. I took it in and they said my pads were 80+ so I figure it must have been a stuck caliper???? Anyway so far no more issues with the brakes. I drive very conservatively, so when it started that horrible scraping sound I was very shocked to learn it was likely a brake issue. They didn't find anything wrong. The car had about 20K at the time. :surprise: :surprise:
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Brakes last longer on Accord hybrid.
    Well I went to the Honda Stealership yesterday. I told them to check the rear brakes because they are probably toast. They were worn out at 23,000 miles. Front brakes were great 7mm left. The service manager told me if I would have brought it in with less that 20,000 miles that Honda would have paid for 1/2 the cost. She told me that because of the class action law suit on the 08 rear brake problem that Honda can not pay for any of mine because the would go against the law suit. I told her that I have not heard about the class action because if I did I would have brought it in at 19,000 miles. So anyone out there with noisy brakes and less than 20,000 miles take it back. The Honda dealer I was using is Honda East in Cincinnati. I asked for the district rep and got the run around on that also. I have had it with Honda and will not buy another. Too bad for them considering I have bought 3 new Honda's since 2005. I swore I never buy another GM in the 80's and look at them now.
  • elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    While I was waiting for the arbitrator to arrive to discuss the engine on my 2008 Honda Accord, the Honda factory rep asked if we'd had any problems with the rear brakes yet. He stated that the vendor that provided the brakes did not meet Honda's specs for metal content and that the brakes are wearing out prematurely.

Kind of explains why Honda Accord didn't make Consumer Reports' list of most reliable cars. (Civic came in next to last in its class size.)
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    ""Kind of explains why Honda Accord didn't make Consumer Reports' list of most reliable cars""

I am not sure what version of this book you're reading- but perhaps you should put your glasses on and take a closer look. The 2009 CR buying guide still highly recommends the current Honda Accord and Honda Civic.

On page 127 of the buying guide the Civic received the second highest rating, as did the Accord V6 on page 129. The Accord and Civic are still on CR's "Good bets" list despite your unfortunate and isolated case.
    Thanks Corkscrew. I filled out the info and asked them for a update. It still makes me sick that Honda is treating its customers this way.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    You'll be fixing more than brakes if you get a GM product at this time. Buyer beware!
    Customer support is really weak for them right now, but then again they are a company that is bankrupt.
    100% agreed with Accordguy.
    Accord Guy: If you go to WWW.carcomplaints.com and look up a 2008 accord you will find 800 complaints on that model 637 of them are rear brakes. You can look up a 2008 Fusion and there is a total of 1 complaint. I know they sell more Accords than Fusions but look at the numbers. I have had my Honda's back dozens of times for warranty work and they always backed there product except for the brake issue. I believe that Honda and Toyota have cost engineered them selfs into trouble.
    I get to keep my eyes on my Accord '08 rear brakes too. Other than that concern, it runs like a greyhound.
    Other than that concern, it runs like a greyhound.

I hope it doesn't pee in your garage. :)
  • delgado39delgado39 Member Posts: 4
    What a surprise to replace my rear brake pads yesterday at 22363 miles!!!!!! My wife asked, “Shouldn’t these pads last longer???”. Hummmm . . . the fact that this revelation came to her immediately bothered me even more since I pride myself on taking care of our cars. Searching the internet, I quickly discovered that this problem is a reoccurring theme with many owners (so I’m not hallucinating). I’m not a driver who rides his brakes and I drive defensively enough to avoid emergency stops. So this problem I classify as “PREMATURE WEAR” of the rear brake pads. My mechanic says this is the FIRST TIME he has seen this with a Honda. Usually the front pads wear first and the brakes last a heck of a lot longer. What has concerned me the most reading this problem at various sites is the many responses owners have received from Honda. Like this is the cost of your NORMAL maintenance for this car or that they have not received sufficient complaints to do something. I read there’s a class action lawsuit in progress so possibly they’ll get a redefinition of the word NORMAL. Honda has spent a significant amount of money building their customer base and delivering an above average car over the many years. Just take a look at the Consumer Reports ratings for the last decade – most of it in the red zone (for above average). And I would readily admit that this brake issue is not a reflection on the performance of the entire car. But it’s a dang important item!! Why does it take a class action lawsuit to get this company to focus???? Is it that their reputation will be tarnished from the millions spent to tell me the car is a great piece of engineering? I’d admire the company more for saying . . . OK we messed up here and we’ll get it fixed for you (without the hassles and threats). If anyone at Honda is looking at these postings, I want to say our family has bought 7 Honda Accords over the last 15 years and that represents a significant investment for us. We have come to EXPECT DEPENDABILITY. So when you offer excuses or less than excellent customer service with this issue you are sending a message to me (and many other customers). Just ask yourself, do you think new or long term customers will enjoy changing brakes every 22K miles when your previous cars have done 50K - 60K changes??? Doubt it!!! Help your customers and fix it!!!
    Hey all - I just wanted to post about my old Accord, and get some comments/questions.

I've got 204k miles on it, it is 14 years old today (bought 11/12/96), and I've never...EVER...replaced the rear shoes. I replaced the front pads for the first time at 131k. My grandmother owned the car for six years before I got it and did a major highway-only commute. Since then, I've done a lot more city driving, but by anticipating lights, coasting when preparing to stop, etc, I've gotten 73k on the replaced front pads and haven't had a problem with them yet. I was just a bit surprised at my shoes when I went back to think about just how long those things have lasted.

I wonder, would I know if the shoes were used-up? Do they squeal/screech like my pads do on the discs? I'm having the car serviced today at my local mechanic ($23 for an oil/filter change and tire rotation, can't beat that!) and am thinking of asking them to inspect the brakes. I have no complaints with them, and they'll still lock up if I hit em hard in the rain (no ABS, haha), so I feel like they're probably ok and am almost hesitant to even have them touched.

TheGrad

PS - Anecdotally, prev. gen Accords wore out their rear pads before the front as a general rule; I have 53k on my 2006 Accord and can see I still have at least 1CM of pad on each wheel.

Delgado 39: I talked to Honda Customer service today and the Person was very nice. I told her the whole story about my rear brakes failing at 23,000 miles and she said that Honda knows there is a problem and they have their best engineers working on the problem but they do not have a fix but when they do they will contact me. She also said because they do not have a fix that they are treating this like a normal wear item. I told her that I doubt that I will have any Honda's in my driveway for very long so she did not need to contact me. So Get ready to bend over and pull out your wallet every 10 to 20 thousand miles for brakes. I am already looking for a new car.
    Thanks for the update hackattack5. Don't you find it interesting that Honda "knows its a problem & they have there best engineers working on it". BUT they still treat this as a normal wear item. Sounds like corporate double speak to me. I fixed my problem by letting my mechanic replace the rear pads with a different brand. They should last longer but will need to check them since I don't think they have Honda's wear sensor on them. If it at least doubled the mileage, I would be happy. Its been a busy week but I planning on also filing a compliant.
    P.S> If you are also having this problem with your Honda, please call their customer service line 1-800-999-1009, The more people they hear from, the more they will understand that this is a "problem to resolve".
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    I just went back and looked at the paperwork I got when I had my 08 LX-P serviced at 16,454 miles. The front brakes showed 8 mm left and the rears 5 mm. While the majority of my driving would qualify as city, I've gone much easier than I already was on them since I learned of this situation with the brakes.
    What should I say my problem is, since the only issue I've had in the two years I've owned the car was a bad wheel bearing, which was replaced under warranty.
  • v8growlv8growl Member Posts: 8
    I have posted info. in other areas about this problem.
    Honda has acknowledged there is an isssue, and is putting together new brake caliper and pad kits that should be coming out in Dec. This is factual as told to me by Honda of North America during a phone call to them. My dealer also knows about the kits, but, as of yesterday, they have not received all the details on who, what, when, where, etc, etc. My '08 Accorcd coupe has only 6,100 miles. The rear brake pads are at 70%. So, I'm having a wear issue that I will soon apply for the Honda authorized repair.
    To those that are lamenting about the problem, and cursing Honda, etc, etc....and swear never to buy Honda again, etc.....all I can say is that ALL cars have issues.
    Honda is one of the best overall quality car companies, and has always been near or at the top for resale value for many years. THAT should tell you something. I can guarantee you that if you think that GM, or Ford, or whomever is going to do a better job....think again. You'll have some kind of aggravating issue come up...at some point. And, when you go to trade in one of those "other" cars, you'll learn about re-sale value real quick.
    I'll stay with Honda/Acura even if there are some issues at times that have to be dealt with. I've owned many Hondas, a few Toyotas, lots of Fords, some GM's over my lifetime. Over 55 cars owned. Lots can be learned from ownership over many years and makes of cars.
    No car is immune from service problems or issues. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus have always been at or near the top for having less issues per car than most any other car company. The stats don't lie.
    Anyway....each to their own. Jumping ship over one issue....won't get you a trouble free car, nor a better resale value when you get rid of one of the "other" makes.
    Take care.
    Thanks V8growl for your well-written advice. Similarly to you, I have stayed with Honda/ Acura even they may have had issues at times. Have your good days & nights.
    V8Growl: You are right no one should jump ship because of one problem. My biggest concern with Honda is the direction that they seem to be headed. My brother had a Oddessy still under warranty and had to spend $800.00 to fix the A/C because a pebble broke a condenser line. He went online and found out that this was a common problem with the Oddyessy but Honda would not do anything. 3 years later they add a mesh screen where the air comes in to fix the problem on the 09 model. I bought the 08 DX Accord and have this brake problem that I have read that Honda has paid 50% to fix since it is an obvious defect but they tell me sorry you do not get anything and by the way they charged me $235.00 for the job which is another rip off. My wife wants more options than the DX has and now I am pissed at Honda so guess what the Ford Fusion is getting all the great reviews now so I am going to make a switch and try Ford and I will tell you one thing I drove one yesterday and it is a nice ride.
    I solved the condenser problem. :)
    [image
    As I get older I have a theory. When you have a problem you either deal with it or you get rid of it. Sometimes when you try to deal with it you end up wasting alot of sweat and time only to get disappointed again. On the other hand if you get rid of your problem then you can move on. Good bye Honda I have spent $75,000 plus on your products over the past 4 years and you would do nothing about the brake defect and other defects with your products. I traded my Accord in today for a Ford Fusion SEL so I will be moving over to the Fusion forum. I might have bad luck with Ford but at least I have a chance to get a quality built car but if I stayed loyal to Honda I would just get disappointed again. To all the 08 Accord guys good luck and I hope Honda does come around for you.
    Enjoy your F*ound O*n R*oad D*ead. Even considering Ford's high initial quality as of late- hard to say that will translate into a reliable car years down the line- not to mention its lack luster resale value.
    accordguy0235:
    I hope you are a Honda salesman because I just clicked on your profile and read all your posts since 07 and guess what you sound like a broken record. You defend Honda no matter what the problem is bad brakes, VCM vibration, Oil leaks ect.... and the funny little insults you have "Found On Road Dead" I get it means ford right? At least that what I thought when I heard it in the third grade. I also remember First On Race Day. Now would you like to run your little rice burner against the 2010 Fusion Sport? Did not think so CYA
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    There are a lot of salesmen/dealership people on this site. They are here for most of the brands - and they are just doing a little "turf protection". You have to read them and realize their purpose as what I like to call "defense attorneys" for the brands they sell. It's unfortunate that there isn't a way to have them identified as salesmen, but fortunately they are easy to spot. Honda has its share here. There's some guy - espo35, I believe he goes by, on hyundai that is really something else! So I'd recommend just reading the comments people have with concerns and the fixes they have in lieu of getting upset when the "defense attorneys" attack. Enjoy the fusion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi there. Congrats on your new ride. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Meanwhile, let's let this particular discussion get back to the very narrow subject of Accord brakes.

Enjoy your Fusion!
    ""Now would you like to run your little rice burner against the 2010 Fusion Sport""

I find this statement to be ignorant and racist.
    I had a rather lengthy post (#176) in here that to which I'd love a reply.

:shades:
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    They pull the brake drum and use a caliper to measure what you have left. It's a simple task. If you don't check them they will eventually let you know by squeeling (somewhat like the discs on the front) and you'll have to replace the shoes and have the drums turned. You did incredibly well on your brakes!
  • wgalaspiewgalaspie Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 accord EXL and have had brake issues at 24000 miles. The honda dealer told be to call honda cust service because it is a defect. They told me my car had too many miles and that Honda does not provide an average brake life expectancy. My wife drives an 05 jeep with twice the miles and her brakes are fine. It's a chrysler product. Why would someone buy a Honda? I bought it because I believed the hype and it's a nice car, but WTF? $233 for brakes installed on a one year old car, excuse me 20 month old car as the Honda customer service rep Allen so kindly pointed out to me. I have written letters to my dealer and Honda, we'll see what happens, but it's total BS. Why would the new pads they put on be so much better according to the dealer if there is not an issue with the original. Did I mention that I drive 95% highway.
    I told Honda care hot line that I had spent $75,000 since 05 on new Honda's and they still would do nothing I mean they didn't even say sorry for your luck?. I am not sure what you are going to do but I drove that 08 Accord LX with 23,000 miles on it over to a Ford dealer and traded it in for a loaded fusion and my wife absolutely loves the car. My brother is trading his 08 Odyssey limited in because of constant trouble with the VCM and run flat tires (seems to be no fix for those issue's either) . I believe he is getting an Acura but I would never give Honda another nickel. You could say I am a little bitter right now. Someone has said that Honda will have a fix for the brakes soon but I think its funny that I asked them to check my "noisy" brakes at my 19,000 mile oil change and they are fine then at the 23,000 mile oil change they are completely wore out? Oh thats right if the car would of had under 20,000 miles they would of paid for half.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Well, the good news is now that you no longer have a Honda, you don't have to hang out here. Congrats on the new ride... I'm sure the Ford forums will welcome you.
    "you no longer have a Honda"

Thank you! I have been over to the Fusion site but I still like to check in here to see if Honda does get this brake problem fixed. I think they will get it fixed I just don't know how many cutomers they are going/have lost over the way they handled it. By the way I was only replying back to the person that replied me when I did own the Honda :)
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    Hello,
    I posted earlier about installing rear disc brake on a 92 Honda Accord 4dr. LX.
    All the pictures concerning the parts that I need for a conversion to disc brakes
    has got me all mixed-up.
    Exactly, what parts do I need.
    Could anyone show me a list of parts.
    Here in Hawaii, I cannot find any second hand parts in any of the auto wrecking yards.
    I might have to purchase the parts individually on e-bay or other sources.
    If I am going to purchase individual parts, I might as well purchase remanufactured parts or new parts.

Thanks,

94shadow :confuse:
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, I need to change rear brakes, both drums and shoes on my Accord (140k miles). Called the dealer, they asked $500 for parts and service and I just feel it is too much for me right now. I stopped by an auto parts store, and they offer Wagner drums and shoes for $136, which seems reasonable to me. I would like to know if anyone has experience with this brand or if you would recommend another brand. Thanks every one for the help.
  • shermajdshermajd Member Posts: 29
    $550, maybe to replace rotors, brakes, drums all the way around the vehicle. $550 for rears ONLY is total RIPOFF. RUN, don't walk, RUN from this dealer!

I replaced front brake rotors and pads this past summer (quality name brand products, not cheap stuff) for about $160 on my '03 Odyssey.
  • mycarsucksmycarsucks Member Posts: 1
    Yeah I have a 2009 Honda Accord. My back brakes went out at 27,000 miles. I do mostly highway and I paid $330.00 to Honda for new brakes. This is my 5th Honda and I have never had any problems before. If Honda will step up and refund my money for their mistake, I will reconsider buying another Honda.
    " If Honda will step up and refund my money for their mistake, I will reconsider buying another Honda"

I think you have just bought your last Honda. I know I have :shades:
    """ I know I have"""

Good for you - do you have anything of value to add to the discussion that doesn't represent your continued bias against the American Honda Motor Company ?