Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Quite frankly, me either!

I have 57,000 miles on my front/rear pads on my '06 EX - never had a thing done to the brakes.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I think I'm over 76k now. Nothing done yet either.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Nobody ever wants to look in the mirror.

Years ago when I ran a busy shop in CA, I would see people go 50,000 miles and more on their original brakes while others would burn up lining and pads in 10-15,000 miles.

True, some cars were worse than others. Especially in the "old days" when not all cars had front discs.
  • rearpadsrearpads Member Posts: 15
    You can make your own educated decision but ...

If you trade you old accord for a 08 09 10 Accord you will do a costly mistake as all of us thet we have those models.

Look NHTSA complaints, there is no car in recent history (last 20 years) with such many complaints about rear brakes.

Good luck
  • ohplezzohplezz Member Posts: 74
    I bought my first honda in 1996. It was a Prelude SI 5MT and it was the best car I have ever owned. I moved to california last year and sold my prelude that was running perfectly with 260,000 miles on it and bought a 2006 certified Accord EX 2.4L. It had 30k miles on it and on the certified paper work it stated the back brakes were replaced. I asked the salesman if the back brakes were replaced why were the front not replaced. (most braking power comes from the front brakes) He said he did not know. I needed a car that day and it was a honda which had treated me good with my prelude so I bought it. Boy was that a mistake. 3000 miles later the brakes started to rattle and shake so bad I could hear and feel it in the car. I almost rear ended somebody on the 5 freeway a month later due to the brakes not working fully due to the shakes. I've had them replaced since then and I'm going to have them replaced again next week and I have only put 20 thousand miles on the freaking car!!!!!! All of us Accord owners need to start calling our congressmen TODAY and start complaining about this issue. Honda acts like its our problem but we all know it is their faulty design. The climate is right in FORCING them to recall the car and give us new calipers. That is the real problem, not the pads. I'm calling my congressman tomorrow and you all do the same. We can fight back and force them to do the right thing. NOW is the TIME for it with the gov going after Toyota. Honda will cave in quick and they will make it right. They have know there is a problem since 2003 but they do not care. Lets MAKE them care. And I will never buy another honda again for the rest of my life. I suggest you new car buyers reading here take your money elsewhere. This Honda today is not the Honda it once was. The Quality is gone. If you do not believe me do a google search for honda accord brake problems. And current owners, FIGHT BACK TODAY,
    CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN RIGHT NOW!!!!!! :lemon: :mad:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I find it interesting, that since the government owns GM, Japanese cars suddenly have numerous recalls. Conspiracy? I wonder. My 03 Accord has the same brakes as your 06, and there is nothing wrong with my brakes. Honda and Toyota have not suddenly forgotten how to build cars, but lately they can't do anything right. :confuse: The fact that the government needs GM to succeed, and consumers to turn away from Toyota and Honda, gives me a bad feeling about this. The owner of a car company should not be in control of recalls. Something smells fishy.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Something smells fishy.

Wow :sick:
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "I find it interesting, that since the government owns GM, Japanese cars suddenly have numerous recalls"

Thats why my 08 Accord was such a piece of crap! Its Obama's Fault I should of known. Thanks elroy5
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Everything bad that happens is the fault of the Obamanation, I thought everyone knew that ;)

How's that hope and change workin for ya ?
    It's working real well, as long as you want government to control every aspect of your life. Aren't enough people dependant on government, do we really need welfare for car companies? :sick:
    To answer your question, no ! We didn't need bank bailouts or the 750 billion dollar anti-stimulus bill either.

I believe this is much of the reason why Ford is doing so well these days, because of the anti-bailout sentiment.

Consumers who traditionally favor American cars are walking towards Ford and away from GM and Chrysler because they took Government money - aka our tax dollars.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Ford is doing better for simple reasons having nothing to do with bailouts.

They have a nicer product, and are getting known for good quality.

Consumers are really only concerned with their own money. Very few people will actually spend more out of principal.

Although the bankruptcy (especially for Chrysler) is an issue, if you are worried about the company being around in the future!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Gees, what happened to the Accord brake questions/answers???? I didn't know this was the "Car Politics forum"
  • blue_boyblue_boy Member Posts: 52
    I'm sure they are both wonderful. Our 98 was/is a fine automobile. Our daughter-in-law drives it now. I'm sure the Fusion will have its own set of problems. I used to drive Fords and it was the parent company that was always my biggest problem. (and the automatic transmissions).
  • rearpadsrearpads Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2010
    I agree

The focus here is Accord Brakes and 80 09 10 Models suffer a lot

TSB 09-096 covers front brakes and if you have front brake problems dealers will not tell you unless you mention the TSB number then they will replace pads for free and resurface rotors for free

Nothing for rear pads brake yet
    Honda will loose all repeated customers ... Honda's fault not owrs that we supported their products all this years

Just complain everywhere (e.g. congressman BBB, consumer affairs) till Honda USA act. They did in Canada and Honda Canada at least has to change pads for free if it is within 36K or 3 years

Lets talk about brakes not other things
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks, everyone, for getting back on topic! :)
  • woody_onuwoody_onu Member Posts: 5
    I've been following these forums closely since noticing brake noise about 10 months ago with my 2009 Accord. Because of the issue, I've had my local Honda dealership check my brake pads for wear with each service (complimentarily of course). Since I bought the vehicle I've had 3 services, @5500 miles, 11000 miles, and recently at 17700 miles. My question/concern is regarding the results of these checks. With the first and second check, the tech reported 10mm on fronts and 6mm on rears. The third check showed 8mm on fronts and 7mm on rears. How subjective are these readings, that there can be more pad life showing 10 months and 12000+ miles later than the first check? Should I trust these readings? I know Honda doesn't use self-replicating brake pads. Since the noise started about 12 months ago (@ 3000 miles), it hasn't gotten worse, but is still constant with almost everytime the brakes are applied. I have been in touch with Honda of America regarding my concerns but as everyone knows, nothing is being done there yet. If my pads aren't showing excessive wear, do I really have a leg to stand on when it comes to this issue? I appreciate your thoughts/opinions/answers. Thanks.
    "How subjective are these readings"
    Woody: I can only tell you my experience with my 08 AccordBrakes. At 19,000 miles the dealer told me that my brakes were fine even though my wife said that they were making noise. At 23,000 miles (next oil change) They told me that the rear brakes were shot. $280.00 bill that I told them that Honda would pay half and they told me no only Accords under 20,000 miles they would pay half so I think they are doing to you what they did to me and put you off till the magical 20,001 mile mark so they do not pay half. Thats is only my opinion and my experience.
    edited February 2010
    Measurements of pad thickness is just a visual guesstimate. The pads aren't actually taken off and measured with a micrometer, but are simply eye balled in-place. I'll bet if you took your car to 3 different dealers, you would get 3 different measurements, all similar readings within reason, but not identical. The only concern comes in when the pads are worn thin. I'd get a little nervous if they said 2-3mm.

Mrbill
  • auburn6auburn6 Member Posts: 17
    Honda makes a special tool for measurments made on car and in place, the only time thats not good enough is if the pads are wearing unevenly. in that case it would depend on where the measurement was taken..
    It also depends on whether they measure the inner or outer pad. I think they tend to do the outer one, since it is easier to see/reach with the wheels on.

When my rears went (at 40k), I had recently had an oil change, and the report said they were fine. Shortly after, I got new tires, and the guy called me in to see that it needed brakes.

What it actually needed (due to the poor design caliper) was 1 pad. The left side were fine, and the outer right (that the dealer checked) was fine. Only the inner pad was shot.

And I am pretty sure that had to be related to a hanging caliper, since I doubt i could only ride 1 pad down! Especially since I have a stick, so can't ride the brakes in the first place...

• blue_boyblue_boy Member Posts: 52
    I took a "look" (CR) at the Ford Fusion Hybrid. You were right. That car would be easy to like. I was "had" by Ford Motor Company for so many years though I can never give them another shot at me no matter what they come out with. That is sort of sad.
    The inner pads will always wear faster than the outer. It's impossible, for me at least, to see the inner pad, without removing a caliper bolt, and swinging the caliper up. Just looking at the outer pad just will not do, IMO. The outer pad doesn't prove anything.
    """ I can never give them another shot at me no matter what they come out with. That is sort of sad"""

It isn't sad, it is just reality. Once someone is burned by a product and its corresponding manufacturer, such as you with your Ford(s) and hackattack with his Honda, people tend to feel betrayed, taken, had, etc, and thus often don't purchase from said company again in addition to telling as many people about their bad experience as possible. It is human nature.
    edited February 2010
    "Once someone is burned by a product and its corresponding manufacturer"

accordguy0325 is correct. With my experience with Honda on the 08 Accord brake issue I spoke to them very clearly and slowly. I said I have bought a 2005, 2006 and 2008 brand new Honda's from them at a cost of over $75,000.00 dollars and you are telling me that you will not pay for 1/2 the cost of my rear brakes that you Knew were shot at 19,000 miles but did not tell me till 24,000 miles because you wanted to save the $120.00? I told them that I was going to trade in the Accord and WOULD NEVER BUY HONDA AGAIN!!! and they said I am sorry you feel that way. So I just tell people my experiance so that they know how arrogant Honda can be to let a customer walk over an issue that I should never of had.
    I feel the same way. The Accord was my second straight new Honda and probably would've been followed by many more. However, after hearing numerous stories like these, and with my own experience regarding Honda's do-nothing attitude, I'm done with them. They aren't what they used to be. I'm relatively young yet so they are losing out on at least 6 more new vehicles sold to me. I have already convinced two people to not purchase an Accord (both of which chose the Altima, which I should have done) and will continue to warn others also about Honda's decline in quality and customer service. I haven't had to replace my brakes YET but I'm at 18000 miles and they've squeaked every day since passing the 3,000 mile mark. When asked, my local dealership says that Honda is not paying for any portion of the replacements, even though they admit that they have seen numerous customers with the same issue. The Honda dealership says the pads are not worn and gave me their "measurements". Next week I will pay for a brake inspection at a local independent auto service shop to see how the pads really are wearing. I really hope Honda is right and that the pads are fine, and that they are not giving me false measurements. For some reason, I think I'll be disappointed.
  • jeffalvinsonjeffalvinson Member Posts: 3
    I have had many generations of Accords (1983, 1988, 1994, 2000 & 2009). All were 4 cylinder sedans and all were trouble free, except the 2009 is still too soon to tell because it only has 5,700 miles.
    Here is a couple of interesting thoughts that are open for debate and idea's.
    1: "VSA" is a brake drag system to slow the wheel speed down when encountering bumps, holes, slippage from wet conditions or snow and ice.
    Question: "What if our VSA systems are defective and are constantly dragging the brakes when its not suppose to be dragging the brakes?" (causing pre-mature wear and over-heating?) Its just a thought, but meanwhile until this pre-mature brake wear problem is resolved by Honda, I always drive with my VSA in the "Off" position since the car had about 1,000 miles on it (that's when I thought of it).
    Only time will tell if this is meaningful.

2: My 2009 Accord is made in Japan (first letters in vehicle I.D....JHMCP and window sticker said made in Japan. In fact all 5 of my Accords were made in Japan.)
    How many of you having pre-mature rear brake problems have American made Accords? ...versus....Japan made Accords?
    My thought is this: Many years ago, the original reason why Honda's and Toyota's were so darn reliable versus American car manufacturers was the Japanese quality control at their plants and their work ethic was superior to ours.
    So the questons is: Did the Japanese car companies cause their own reliability problems by placing their manufacturing in the USA and other countries?
  • mbusuttilmbusuttil Member Posts: 11
    Hi,i agree with you that Japan's Honda Accords are more reialable than made in other countires .Mine is too brought from Japan and even the 2009 STYLE is DIFFERENT than 2009/2010 of those made in America.What i don't know is wether the mechanism parts are different.Here is the link that of Accords madeof japan to Europe. http://www.batfa.com/new_car_honda_accord.htm
    edited February 2010
    Just curious since your not going to buy a Honda again, what would you buy instead? Is Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, Subaru, GM, Ford, or any other manufacturers doing a better job of standing behind their cars?

A good friend of mine works at a Nissan/Hyundai/Honda dealership and his personal opinion is the Nissans have far more problems then the Hondas do. Sure, I'd be more then a little upset over the brake issue, but the alternatives could be worse. How would you be feeling right now if you bought a Toyota?

Mrbill
    edited February 2010
    So the questons is: Did the Japanese car companies cause their own reliability problems by placing their manufacturing in the USA and other countries?

I disagree with the idea that Americans can't put a car together just as good as the Japanese. Both my 92 and 03 Accords were built in Marysville Ohio, and both have been very reliable, well put together cars. I don't see how the Japanese could have done a better job. I also owned a 97 Toyota, built in Japan, that had numerous issues (rack and pinion, starter, vibrations) in only 6 years.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I did not know any Japanese made Accords were sold in the U.S. I thought they all came from Marysville, where mine originates. Are these only sold in certain parts of the United States. I live in the south.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I currently own a 2005 Honda Accord and a 2009 Honda Civic SI. Prior to the 2009 Civic, I had a 2006 Civic. The 2006 model Civics had trouble with the rear suspension. At 65,000 when the Honda dealer noticed a problem, they agreed, after pressure, to pay one-half of the cost. In contrast, I have a 2007 Ford F-150. At 20,000 the rotors were warped in the rear. The dealer fixed it, no charge, without any hesitation. This has been my experience with Ford products. I find Honda stingy on what they will repair and it is always on a percentage basis, whether they are at fault or not.
    "Just curious since your not going to buy a Honda again, what would you buy instead?"

:alternatives could be worse.

That's exactly what has Honda and Toyota in the position that they are in today. They feel like they can treat their customers like crap because what are you going to do? well I bought a Fusion and I did have that "what the heck am I doing" Feeling when I went to a Ford dealership but I have to tell you that the car rides much better and is actually fun to drive so even if I do get into a situation where I am going to spend $300.00 every 20,000 miles for something that should not be worn out I would still no regret my choice to stick it up Honda's rear.
    Not sure. There is no perfect vehicle or maker out there of course. I think customers pay a slight premium for Honda and Toyota over Ford, etc. to get that better quality they've come to expect. If it's not there, paying more ain't worth it. Consumers might as well buy GM/Ford/Saturn/etc. Sure there will be problems, but at least you didn't pay extra for them. And I'm not trying to knock those brands, it's just they aren't as expensive as the foreign maker's vehicles.

Personally, I've owned Infiniti, Ford, Chrysler, and now Honda X2. I would say the Infinity was probably the best even though it was their basic entry level model, the G20. I had no problems for 6+ years with it so I cannot speak as to how they handle issues like Honda's brake wear. Like I said, other than the Honda, I was strongly considering the Altima so I guess I would still try Nissan/Infiniti. Even though Toyota did try to cover up their issues, I think they are doing things correctly now. Once their current issues are behind them, I think they will bounce back so I'd consider them as I think they will be strongly emphasizing quality and customer service in the future.
  • tzinmatzinma Member Posts: 1
    So I just had a similar problem with a 2008 Accord. I seem to be lucky because the problem didn't occur until 38000 miles. When I went to Honda I asked them about the breaks wearing prematurely and they said it was a known problem and did only charge me 1/2. I just wonder if they would have offered that without me asking.
  • cpresenskycpresensky Member Posts: 7
    I have an 08 Accord Coupe, 25000 miles. I've got 'chirping' coming from the brakes but not sure whether it's from the front or rear. Called the local Dealership who informed me that 'Honda has a brake kit out for issues with front brakes due to wear, 'screeching noises' and shudder'. The kit only applies to Accords that still have the original pads. I'm going to stop by there this afternoon to let them take a look and a test drive. And after reading this forum I have no doubt my rear pads are shot. Thanks.
    For what it's worth, the previous brake info I mentioned came from a Northern Virgina Honda dealership. They say they have info on FRONT brake issues but nothing on rear. Now I've just spoken to a service rep at a different Northern Virginia dealership who states that Honda has now issued a service bulletin for premature wear on the rear pads - pads will be replaced free of charge.
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    Do you have the bulletin number for the rear brake pad replacements?? My 07 Accord is exibiting a scrubbing sound and it is felt in the brake pedal. I can't tell if its in the front or rear. I had the brakes checked out just about 5 weeks ago and think they might have tightened something up too much??? The scrubbing started soon after this service. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!! BTW it has 26k miles on it. :confuse: :confuse:
    I own a 07 SE Accord and it has plenty of road noise. The brake issues are also happening on the 07 models its not just 08 and09 models!!! 07's also are having tranny problems both autos and 5-speeds. Purge control valves also are noisy and may be behind the vibration I feel at stop signs and red lights. :sick: :sick: Any suggestions??
    My07 SE has these same brake issues so they probably won't give me the time of day. The car has only 26k miles and was just in for warranty issues they said were not reproducible, so what does it take to get their attention?????? My 92 accord had only two sets of front pads in 209k miles and it had the originals rear shoes when I sold it!!! So why haven't they corrected the CALIPER issue??? What good is a spring when the real issue is the sticking caliper?????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :confuse:
    Yesterday the local Honda dealership installed new pads the whole way around, installed new V clips and turned rotors....no charge to me! When I initially called the dealer concerning my brake issue they informed me there was a service bulletin issued on the back brakes and to bring the car in and they'd take care of the issue. I was the one that brought to his attention the Service Bulletin (09-096) for the front brakes. All the work was done in two hours and I was back on the road!
    What year model of accord do you own and how many miles does it have on it. Did you get a service bulletin number for the rear brakes???
    I own an 08......had 25000 miles on it. and no, i didn't get the service bulletin number for the rears.....but the service rep knew it and was the one who told me about it.
  • boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    In fact, I was able to talk with Service Manager the other day, no TSB for 08-10 rear brakes, all they know is to install the upgrade pads per Honda.
    as i said i never saw a TSB for the rears.....all i know is the dealership replaced pads and turned the rotors, front and back and i walked out oweing nothing *shrugs*. i'm not gonna argue with them! *smile*
  • boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    Hopefully the new pads can last over 40k....
    wise1,
    I think your vibration problems are either motor mounts or ELD (Electric Load Detector). I don't think the engine mounts need to be replaced, just adjusted. There was a TSB on it, but I don't know if I can find it now. My 03's brakes work fine, at 75k miles. I replaced the pads at 50k (rear) and 62k (front), but the rotors haven't been turned, and I hear no noise, and feel no vibrations at all. My car is a V6, so the brakes are a little different, but pretty close. Who did the brake service on your car? Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing.
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    Elroy,
    I just installed the rear disk brake conversion and it works really good.
    I left out the ABS like you said and the disk brakes works well.
    I was thinking of changing the proportional valve and use a bigger
    diameter rod on the master cylinder.
    I know it's been about six months but I had a hard time finding a good set of the disk brake conversion parts.
    Anyway thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
    Mahalo,
    94shadow
  • jimh47jimh47 Member Posts: 2
    I've had our Obyssey in several times for brake noise (grinding) and fading.
    @ 12,821 miles they resurfaced front with on-car lathe, and a new pad set (n/c);
    Car was inspected at 20,724 with same issues; road tested by dealer and brakes inspected but they detected nothing wrong (I brought the van in because going down into Yosemite Valley the brakes sounded like metal to metal and fadded);
    At 29,181 and 34,170 after other episodes Honda inspected and found nothing wrong, at last inspection they "Molycoted Brakes. See how this works".
    As we are getting ready to drive down to Spring Training I took the van to a mechanic we've used for years and asked him for a safety check and brake job. He reported the brakes are all at or above 60% (We have 52,000 on the car now)
    The question is, what's up?
    I had this with our '05. usually when brakes were hot and worked hard. Alsways stopped, but sounded terrible. They put new pads on (evised part), and I haven't really noticed a problem in the 35K since.

I believe the problems was that the pads were glazing? and scraping against the rotors.

Your other issue sounds like lots of weight + marginal sized car brakes = fade when working hard.

All brakes fade, but you are probably pushing 3 tons of GVW if you have a decent load of people and stuff, trying to stop with brakes basically sized for an Accord.

All brakes will fade after heavy use, some more so than others. Did the van still stop OK, just with more pedal pressure?