Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Brake Questions

Comments

• jimh47jimh47 Member Posts: 2
    It did stop 'okay' on the down road into Yosemite Valley, but, I pulled over and waited on the shoulder for about 30 minutes to be safe. Only my wife and I and our camping gear were in the van, no boat or tailer behind or other very heavy items.
    Traffic was heavy into the valley, and knowing the brakes I used second gear and pumped the brakes - still they heated and as you pointed out I needed to use more pedal.
    Any advice other then what I now employ - go slow, use transmssion and pump the breaks?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    some stronger formula (although you might get more noise overall).

Other than that, letting the engine do the braking and letting the brakes cool off is about it.

Oh, make sure you fluid is fresh and full. that can make a difference if the fluid gets moisture in it (it effectively boils), and Honda does call for it every so often (3 years maybe?)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• missyparkmissypark Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2007 American made Accord. Vibration when braking. Purchased in Sept. 2008. Total replace of brakes - all 4 in April 2008. Warrantied by dealer with not much explanation. Replaced pads and machined rotors in March 09 at my cost. In Sept 09 was most fun service visit ever! Explained that "ma'am when you get those rotors real hot and run over water puddles...you warp the rotors". Well they got me. There is nothing more exhilarating than getting my rotors all hot and bothered and running through a big puddle to see how fast they warp. Apparently I had "IDIOT" written on my forehead. He did put on my service ticket..."MACHINED FRONT ROTORS AT A GOODWILL JESTER". How sweet!!!

I have since taken to private tire/brake center. Total replace again but still vibrating so had to take it back. He found Japanese calipers on this vehicle. Says he feels this may be an issue but he'll hang in there with me until we can get it fixed. Called Honda and all they worried about was what "restitution/compensation" I was hoping for! I told her I didn't want anything, just a car I could rely on. I simply wanted to know if this issue he found could be causing the problem.

What do you think? :cry:
    Car was purchased in 2007 not 2008...whoops! :blush:
  • jeffalvinsonjeffalvinson Member Posts: 3
    If the vibration only occurs when braking, then it sounds like your rotors are bad.
    If the vibration also occurs at various speeds "without" applying the brakes, then the problem sounds like something other than brakes (tire balance or alignment).
    Assuming the problem only occurs while braking, there is two components that are worked on everytime you get a brake job:
    1: Brake Pads: brake pads are stationary and are a soft material shaped like a candy bar. They grab the spinning rotor and slow it down when you hit the brakes.
    Brake pads are designed to wear out.
    2: Rotors: the rotor is a spinning piece of hard steel shaped like a dish.
    When a repair shop replaces the worn brake pads, they also machine (cut) steel material off the rotors, because the constant "brake pad to rotor contact" wears deep groves into the steel rotors. By machining the rotors flat and smooth, the new brake pads will form a more perfect contact for the new brake pads.
    However, here lies the problem:
    After you have just two brake jobs (where they replaced the brake pads and machined the rotors), the rotors become very thin and warp (become out of round) easily causing vibration during braking.
    Therefore after two brake jobs, you need to replace the rotors with new ones.
    Judging by your post, you have had 4 brake jobs (Mar-08, Mar-09, Sep-09, and now). If all those brake jobs were done with the original rotors, then your rotors are "way beyond" there service life and need replacement.
    Thanks Jeff. I looked back on my service records and did find that the rotors were machined each time. This time, the rotors and all components were replaced. It is driving better, but I still seem to feel a slight vibration. They did a full service even rotating and balancing the tires as well. Any thoughts on the "Japanese calipers" mixed with the other American components?

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond so quickly!
  • jeffalvinsonjeffalvinson Member Posts: 3
    I haven't ever experienced or heard of a problem with mixing Japanese calipers with American brake pads.
    My only concern would be: "is the quality of the replacement brake pads and rotors at least as good as Honda factory replacement parts?"
    And if they are as good or better quality than factory, were they properly installed?
    Read this brake troubleshooting web link written by a high quality manufacturer:
    http://www.ebcbrakes.com/troubleshooting.shtml
    In particular,
    read Problem No. 3 titled "Brake Vibration (Rotor Shimmying or Brake Pulsation).
    Thanks again. I will definitely ask those questions. He stated that Honda recommended several types of rotors/pads. He tried 2 before returning the car to me and when I brought it back in, he was planning to contact "someone" to try to make sure the correct ones were installed. He warrantied the first job, so it isn't like I'm out a lot of money, but he seemed to want to pin the continued problem on the Japanese - American caliper issue. SInce that has been taken care of (I assume???), obviously it was not the problem. The website was really helpful. I just need to find someone willing to listen to me. I've contacted Honda and they have given me a case number, so I'll see what happens there. I really just want my car to run properly. :cry:
  • 19841984 Member Posts: 16
    I bought my accord in 12/08 and have had squealing brakes since 5K miles. During routine service today at 19,123K miles, the service advisor told me my rear brakes were so badly worn that i had only about a week's worth of driving left. He also told me that this particular model braking was biased to the rear to enhance the "sporty feeling of the car". This is my 3rd Accord and 8th new vehicle and have never heard such an explanation nor have i replaced brakes at less than 40K miles.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    1984: Since you are below 20,000 miles Honda should pay for 1/2 your brake job. The service manager at my old Honda dealer told me that Honda designed the Accords rear brakes to do most of the stopping because they were copying BMW bla bla bla. I have heard that they have different pads and some other stuff that they will secretly do to your Accord when they do the brake job. Good luck
  • martinbairdmartinbaird Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have bleed the brakes twice n still have no brakes. There is no leaks. The petal goes all the way to the floor. What is goin on with my brakes ? please help
  • markludmarklud Member Posts: 41
    Just had my wife's car annual Pa. state inspection, they said rear brake pads passed but getting low, 18,200 miles on car. I went to local Honda dealer and asked them to check it out, and they said there is no TSB or official notice or recall, but they would replace rear pads under warranty. I think I am beginning to hear this account from others more frequently, so I guess there is an issue. It is unfortunate that Honda won't come out and call this a recall, because I have read that many people have already paid a not too small amount for this service already. I guess my advise is, if you already paid, write American Honda, include a copy of the receipt, and ask for a refund. Just voicing my experience and opinion.
    Just posted my experience with rear pad replacement, but forgot to ask if anyone knows what the "upgraded" rear brake pad part # is? The dealer put on part # 43022-TAO-A70 for the new pads on my receipt. Does anyone know if this is a better pad from the original ones, or just another set of the same. I seem to have read some opinions that it is the pad material that is at fault. Others think it is the brake distribution feature that puts more pressure on rear brakes than previous models.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The dealer put on part # 43022-TAO-A70 for the new pads on my receipt. Does anyone know if this is a better pad from the original ones, or just another set of the same.

That is the new (second) revised pad design (43022=TAO-A70). The pads were revised, then revised again. There is also something about switching the calliper pins (may have been installed opposite from the factory). The new clips installed on the pads are supposed to pull the pads away from the rotor, from what I understand.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Honda and Girard Gibbs came to terms in the class action suit, here is a link to the details:
    http://www.girardgibbs.com/hondabrakes.asp?_kk=honda%20accord%20brake%20problems- &_kt=72b8cce1-0fe8-4f4f-88b8-55662de96fbb&gclid=CPiPpoG2ip0CFUdM5QodLVRm2Q
    Corkscrew
    Thanks for the info! :D I'm afraid of being a pain to the service dept, by asking then if they changed the caliper pins, though. Is there a way I can check this myself? I've changed of few disc brake pads myself, on other cars, and never really noticed the pins. I've always put things back the way I take them off...
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if your dealership installed the little V clips or not, but it also shows how they should be installed. From looking at the drawing, it looks like the pin with the slots in it goes at the bottom. Good luck
  • woody_onuwoody_onu Member Posts: 5
    I questioned my local Honda dealer today to "fish" information regarding any new developments with the (lack of) brake issue. At first they said there was nothing new and they had no knowledge of any settlements regarding a lawsuit. When I questioned about any new TSBs, they eventually said that Honda was paying up to $150 toward new rear brakes. When I asked how much they charged for the repair, I was told approx. $250. Why don't they just say $400 so they can still take advantage of their customers. Anyways, thought I'd share.

Also, they did come right out (after I questioned if there was a bulletin on the key fobs) and say they were replacing key fobs under warranty. Why do customers have to find out on their own regarding shoddy Honda parts? Thanks to this site for making me aware of this issue. I thought my fob battery was dead already.
  • korchnoykorchnoy Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2008 Accord with 15,000 miles to a local dealership for a complimentary oil change on 4/16/10. I got a call from the service advisor informing me that my rear pads and rotors were disintegrated. He informed me of the service bulletin from Honda informing of the brake problem. I inquired about the cost of the repairs wich was $467 for pads, rotors and labor. The advisor offerred a $150 credit from Honda of America towards the repairs. I refused to cover the rest. The adviser informed me that Honda covers these repairs in full only if the car has less then 12,000.
    I immediately proceeded to make a phone call to Honda of America with the complaint. Friendly customer service rep has listened to my problem and promised to get back to me by Friday, 4/20/10. When I inquired about Honda covering rental cost while I wait, she advised that this will not be happening and if I want, I may pick my car up and wait for the answer. I decided not to wait and launched a mini assault by submitting a complaint to the following: NHTSB, BBB, the Attorney General of Massachusetts, also I sent emails to GM and SM of the dealership accusing them in a breach of fiduciary duty to their customer.
    About an hour later I received a call from SM of the dealership. He offered to provide a complimentary repair with a $100 deductible. This repair was offered at discount with a blessing of Honda of New England regional manager. I decided to do the repair. He assured me that they will use strictly updated parts.
    I will try to get my $100 back from Honda of America. I might even take them to small claims court, if necessary.
    My next car will be a Ford....... :mad:

They should offer 36 months no interest and a 5 year supply of brake pads.
  • raceemraceem Member Posts: 2
    I just took my Honda Accord in for an oil change and they tell me the back brakes are worn out. I scheduled an appointment to have them changed. When I got to the dealership to change brakes I asked "this is being covered under the warranty correct?" They stated no this is normal wear and tare and would not cover under warranty. Vehicle has 24,000 miles. I did not let the dealership (Ken Garth of Ogden) replace the brakes. I made a couple calls to Ken Garth to verify they would not cover under warranty they refused. The dealer did tell me that Honda had used to soft of material on the brakes. My question is this, Should this be covered under warranty or not?
    I highly recommend for no one to buy Honda vehicles and especially at Ken Garth of Ogden.
  • raceemraceem Member Posts: 2
    I am having exactly the same problem with my girlfriends 2008 Honda Accord. Would you have a phone number for Honda of America?? Thank You I will be processing complaint this morning to BBB and Consumer Protection Board.
  • jayviejayvie Member Posts: 1
    2000 Honda Accord 6 cyl, EX, ABS,, Autotrans, discs front and back, 160K : For 2 years or so my brakes are fine at speed but at idle/standstill they are soft and go to floor slowly after pumping and pushing hard on them. Last year I did full front brakes (all parts replaced) and flushed system. No change in the soft pedal. This year I needed rear brakes, so today I replaced pads, rotors, calipers, hardware, everything. Pads were so broken up, I wonder if the rear brakes were even working !?! I flushed/bled the whole system 2 times for good measure. Still got same mushy pedal, so I replaced master cyl, and bleed system throughly. Stilll got this mushy pedal at idle ! Maybe rears still are not working at all? I wonder if this started when the dealer replaced my front-to-back brake lines a few years ago?
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    It's the brake master cyclinder.
    Common for Honda cars after 150K miles.
    Put the car in neutral & pump the brake pedal a few times.
    The symptom will get worse when the brake fluid gets hotter.
  • dunagandunagan Member Posts: 1
    My wife just drove in with the distinct odor of burnt brakes--concentrated on the rear driver's side wheel area. The brake pedal is very hard to push--like the brakes are already engaged. The emergency brake has never engaged really well, it allows the car to creep on an incline without it being in park. The cable to the rear drivers side seems to hang down more than the other side. New master cylinder installed a couple of months ago along with new pads and turned the rotors. Get chattering (vibration feeling) when slowing from higher speeds. Help. I know Honda brakes aren't the greatest, but I'm at a loss of what to do on this.
  • victorious3victorious3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2010 Honda Accord, which had a front end vibration problem from day one. Within one week of purchase, the dealer resurfaced the front rotors, which did not correct the problem. In the second week of ownership, the dealer now claims that the rear rotors need to be replaced. They claim the problem was caused by rust from the car sitting in storage for a few months. This is unacceptable for a new car and I'm concerned there's something the dealer is trying to hide about this car. Would appreciate any information, especially from those who have had similar experiences.

Korchnoy - would especially appreciate receiving information regarding your contact with the NHTSB, BBB, Attorney General of Massachusetts, and dealership GM and SM.
  • rickshobbyrickshobby Member Posts: 1
    You are right NEVER BUY HONDA AGAIN. Your story is close to mine. I have 64,400 on my car and after going through the back brake issue at 33k I am looking at the same problem again. Honda says not their problem. Yet front brakes never have had an issue. Called the 1-800-999-1009 number at the suggestion of Honda dealer in Montgomery, AL. It is a defect I was, and Honda America tells me no because they DO NOT CARE. I will not toss more money at this car. Buying Hyundai Sonata 2011 tomorrow. Never thought I would leave HONDA after my success with the 2004 Accord, but they are going the way of GM and other American made cars. Edmunds needs to reevaluate their ratings of Honda. Apathy kills....I am dead to Honda. PS. They lied about MPG of 29 miles HWY. Been lucky to get 26. The 2004 v6 Accord gave me 32.
  • redgairedgai Member Posts: 1
    Well, my 08 is at 51k miles (bought it end of May 2008)
    I had ALL of my brakes and rear rotors replaced at roughly 25k with metal to metal (although I had heard the brakes at roughly 20k) and my front rotor resurfaced. [All at pepboys] The resurfacing was a big mistake, at 15k later the front rotor wrapped and I didn't have them checked at 20k. (Warranty ends at 18k)
    Although the current rear rotor and rest of the brake pad seem ok, I had it checked at 48k and the wear is about 80% for the back (or maybe 70%) I had to double check.
    Does that sound about right?
    Also would anyone like to suggest a quality front rotor for $30-$50 each
    Also looking for shocks to be replaced soon because the technicians said it is starting to leak oil. Any suggestions for that too?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I'm too new at this, and school and other worries are taking up most of my time to look into this. :cry: but better now then never!

Also should I go to a dealership and ask for the newer calipers that people have been mentioning about?
  • 300game67300game67 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2009 accord. I have now 12k miles and need rotor work. I know what you mean. There is always a problem somewhere. What can we do. If I had stayed with the camry line what problems would that have brought.
    well. I am here at the dealers. My rotors at 12k on a new 2009 need resurfacing. How long do you think it will last.
    I did not know until this week, that honda has a break problem. They have to resurface my rotors today. Living in colorado with all the mountain hills may cause me a problem
  • boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    Front or rear? I had my 09 front rotors resurfaced for the braking noise.
    I would never have rotors turned. If the brakes are working fine, just replace the pads. If the rotors are warped, I'd replace them. Machining the rotors only makes them weaker, and more likely to warp again.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    I have 2009 Accord and I have about 15k right now and I don't need to replace pads YET, I was wondering if I could still buy the pads for the future and still get reimbursed of $150 from the settlement?
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    yes, I've read that, still I am kinda fussy on how can I make a claim in the future if there is a deadline on filing a claim?
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I have not received my $150.00 yet. I can not wait to cash that check. All Honda had to do is pony up on their bad design and make it right but now they have lost many customers and a boat load of sales. Update on my Ford Fusion is 22,000 trouble free miles and only oil changes.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I am getting ready to purchase a 2010 Accord and am disappointed to hear of these premature brake wearing problems.

I'm hoping that either a technician or a Honda insider can answer this question:

Has the new brake design been installed in the remaining 2010 models? I was considering a Civic also but wanted the Accord solely because the Vehicle Stability Assist comes standard on all models.
  • amojebaamojeba Member Posts: 17
    I have an 09 Accord, the odometer just rolled over to 12,000 miles. I bought it brand new in Nov 2009 (it's only 9 months old!!) and it already needs rear brakes.

I made an appt to get it done next week, but the brake pedal is on the floor before it does anything! This is ridiculous, and unacceptable. I'm familiar with the class action settlement, even though I think we got the shaft on that. Only $150 reimbursement, really?? The dealer wants $200, and this is a brand new car!

Just got off the phone with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and filed a complaint to force a RECALL. They said this is the 1st complaint they've heard! I urge ALL OF YOU TO CALL NOW! If enough complain, then we can force Honda to recall this piece of crap. My last Honda ever. German cars from now on.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    (888) 327-4236

PLEASE CALL NOW!

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    (888) 327-4236
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My last Honda ever. German cars from now on.

I hope you like the service departments at your local VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes-Benz dealer, because they sure like you. If you're looking for low maintenance and repair costs, the absolute last place you need to look is at German cars.
    edited August 2010
    Actually, that's not true. And regardless, BMW offers 4 yrs / 50k mile absolutely free comprehensive maintenance.
    And for $2k more, you can buy the extended 6 yrs / 100k.

Seems like a good deal to me.
    Were I driving a BMW right now, I'd be getting the brakes (and rotors, if necessary) replaced for free.
    Actually, that's not true. And regardless, BMW offers 4 yrs / 50k mile absolutely free comprehensive maintenance.
    And for $2k more, you can buy the extended 6 yrs / 100k.

Seems like a good deal to me.

Look at the sticker price on that BMW, then tell us again, it's free. Nothing is free, especially when you pay $2k for it.
    Instead of arguing with me...have you called "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) " to submit your complaint on the 09 Accord?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I won't pretend to know everything about this current brake issue... some haven't noticed early wear but it seems that quite a few others have. I have an 06 Accord with over 84k on the original brakes. Thegrad and elroy have the previous generation as well so we won't be making any calls.

However, it does sound like Honda has found and fixed the problem. If they are giving you $150 toward a $200 brake job and you got 12k miles out of the old ones, you are only out $50 with brand new brakes.

I'm sure that is frustrating and I can understand that you won't be interested in buying a Honda in the future. Some of us keep our cars for a long time (for elroy and me, that means at least 10 years) so their point about paying more up front for a BMW is well-taken.
    Hi Tallman

Your logic doesn't really make sense. Okay so let's say I spend $50 for this set of brakes. What about the 24k miles, and 36k, and 48k...etc etc ? The $150 credit is a one time deal.
    But from then on, I have to spend $200 every 8 months for a new set of brakes (in addition to the car payments, oil changes, tire rotations, and other routine maintenance). Mind you, this is all for a brand-spanking new car that's hardly broken in.

And you talk about keeping a car long term. That's what I was hoping too, but if a vehicle needs constant repair, you have to factor that repair cost into the overall cost of owning a vehicle.
    So let's say a BMW costs more upfront, but a Honda could end up costing you more over the long run with excess repairs. Plus you have to factor in that a BMW is a higher class luxury car, so we're not exactly talking oranges to oranges here.

I was merely using BMW as an example of what seems to be a better made product, or at the very last, a company who stands behind their product. Is Honda doing that? NO. They won't admit wrong doing, and they are refusing to do a recall.
    That sounds like a big 'SCREW YOU' to honda consumers everywhere. Everyone with an 08-09 accord (the model years with poor brake quality) knows what I'm talking about.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I was under the impression that Honda fixed the brake issue. My understanding was that they are putting different (better) brakes when they replace them so that you won't have to replace them every 12k.
    I heard the "new" brake pads (part # ending in "40") isn't much better than the original brake pads. Although the service advisors at the dealerships won't admit it, I spoke to a guy at the Honda Dealer - Parts Dept, and he confirmed he still gets complaints about the new brake pads all the time. He says they're not much better.
    I guess only time will tell......but the general consensus is that the overall brake system design is flawed. The "better pads" (whatever that means) is more of a band-aid fix.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    I needed new rears brakes on my 2005 (4 cyl/stick) at right about 40K. Actually, 3 of the 4 pads were fine. Just the inner right side pad was shot.

from talking with a guy at one place (who guessed the exact problem over the phone), the problem was not the pad. It was the caliper hanging up somehow, causing the pad to drag and wear out.

Definitely not a pad issue when only 1 of 4 is shot.

They did lube the caliper up real good, but it probably makes sense for me to have them do it again at some point (I am pushing 60K at this point, and have no desire to ever replace the brakes again).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    $2k for 2 years and 50k miles worth of warranty sounds like a good deal? I beg to differ. Excluding tires, $2,000 hasn't been spent on my 15 year old car with 214k miles on it. And, a trip to the dealer every short while for a repair isn't a very "premium" experience.

If you're buying a Bimmer/Benz etc for a short term, the reliability equation is less important. European cars are known for little problems that add-up quickly. Read a long-term test of the BMW 750 here on Edmunds Inside Line. $100k car with more warning lights pop up than I've ever seen in my 200k+ vehicle. Yes, it is a more complicated car with an overwhelming amount of electronics. However, if those electronics quit working after 20k miles, what fun is that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the current generation Accord (I think Honda's last truly great Accords were in the 90s, although I do like my '06 2.4L - 63k and lots of meat still on all the brake pads), but I stand by my claim that buying European to save money on maintenance is as like cutting off your nose to spite your face.