Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• cubanskycubansky Member Posts: 8
    MY DAKOTA HAD A PROBLEM SHIFTING OUT OF FIRST GEAR WHEN STARTED COLD. NOW I PRESS THE GAS PEDAL SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE, THIS SEEMS TO RESET THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE AND IT SHIFTS FINE EVERYTIME. IF YOU ARE HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM TRY IT.
  • tincanarttincanart Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge dakota quad cab with the 4.7 V8 and 2WD. Lately the engine refuses to start on occasion. The transmission selector on the dash will only light the circle aroun the R,D,1 and 2. It is like it will not recognize Park and Neutral, even though the shifter moves into all positions. Usually after I let it sit about 20 minutes it will start and register shift positions with no problem. I cleaned what i think is the Transmission range sensor on the transmission, that seemed to help, but the problem came back. Sometimes when it acts up, i can shake the sensor and it will start. Also, it seems to do this when the truck is warmed up(after running about 20 minutes)and you turn it off. i took it to the local dealer here because I am not good with transmission troubles. They decided it was the Shift cable and repalced it. Problem came back the next day. Any ideas?
  • illuminiillumini Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am new here and I apologize that this might be long. I have the a 2001 V6 Dak that has about 93k on it.

About a month ago while driving at highway speeds (about 75 mph) the Trans temp light came on. I had the truck towed back and the problem could not be duplicated. Then it happened again about a week later (same conditions) except this time I noticed that the OD had turned itself off. Dealership replaced TCC and O/d solenoids, govenor pressure solenoid and transducer. It happened a 3rd time last week and they replaced the Power Control Module. Now for a forth time (and now it is happening during city driving conditions) the O/D comes off and the Trans Temp light comes on. If anyone knows what could be causing this it would be appreciated. I have spent over 3,000 dollars in the past 30 days getting this worked on. Thank you.
  • jknisleyjknisley Member Posts: 3
    I had the same or similar problem. I went to two dealerships because my truck wasn't shifting correctly. The first dealership told me it was going to be $4000 for a rebuilt transmission so I took my truck to another dealer. He told me $2400. After they took it apart the price jumped to $4000 also. My dad had been telling me to go to Aamco all along so I took it there. They rebuilt the transmission for $2000. When they put it back it they found out that the transmission was ruined by the radiator. The coolant flows through the radiator, which was plugged up and that was making my transmission overheat. The overheating is what damaged the transmission in the first place. They replaced the radiator. Noone at the dealership mentioned the radiator to me.
  • jstew3jstew3 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed your problem. Could you happen to have a clogged catalytic converter? How is the engine temp?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The 2000 4.7L semi-hemi came from the factory with 2 emmissions "options" (depending on the state where the truck was orderd from)

One "option" had a single catalytic converter... the other (called the border state emmissions package) has 3 catalytic converters. (and 4 oxygen sensors!)

The best way to isolate your problems is to have diagnostic computer hooked up to your Dak WHILE you are driving so the instantanious readouts from the sensors can be mapped into a graph.

It is actually pretty cool to see the activity of the sensors while under driving conditions. You can see throttle-position, road-speed, cat. temp, airflows...etc.
  • ggbluesmanggbluesman Member Posts: 2
    My '92 Dakota V8 4x4 with auto tranny stalled at a red light. I shifted into neutral to restart the engine and it is as if the gear selector can't find any gear on the tranny. I'm stuck in neutral. I had to push the truck off the road. The engine races but no engagement. I checked to see if the linkage had fallen apart, but everything looks intact. Any ideas
  • doogankdoogank Member Posts: 1
    Is there anything I can check to determine why this truck wont shift out of first gear?
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    Even thou they are dealers...

they sometimes dont know how to fix cars that they sell. you have to go to a some other that really knows what they care doing in order to get it fixed right

my friend had a 92 honda... they couldn't fix it. They wrote it on the paperwork saying... they can't found out what's causing the problems... so they went ahead to charge him him on this credit card. And he call his credit card company saying... I'm not paying it. They didn't fix it and he had a letter to prove it... so it went to lawyer and all the crap... so he didn't pay any money after all!! Pain in the [non-permissible content removed]!!

I read a lot of cars and trucks stuff... dodge quality doesn't seem to be that good

Evertyone loves the Tacoma or the Frontier.

No one is buying Chevy or Ford Mid-size truck... it seems like they gave up on it.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    to illumini

since they can't fix it... did they even give u anything free to refix something else???

man i would have been talking to the managers about this and [non-permissible content removed] them out!!

You should've said... obviously you guys are dumb founded on this... why should you guys still be business?!
  • dodge8dodge8 Member Posts: 1
    92 dodge dakota v8, 4x4 has no forward gears, it acts as if it is in nuetral, but reverse works fine. in forward gear it makes no attempt to move, no noise.
  • ggbluesmanggbluesman Member Posts: 2
    I'm the person afew posts earlier than yours that is having very similar problems except I don't have reverse. I'm not having much luck in getting advice but I've narrowed it down to either the torque converter, the flywheel, or the pump(internal).
    The transfer case could also be malfunctioning, maybe it is stuck in neutral or broken in some way.
    I've heard that if you disconnect one of the coolant lines that runs to the radiator there should be fluid flow if the pump is working. I'm going to try that over the weekend. I changed the filter and the fluid but it didn't help.
    Please post me if you learn anything.
    Good luck.
  • dsubdsub Member Posts: 1
    My Dakota has 125,000 miles on it and when I am driving I have to run the RPM's up over 3500 and let off of the gas for it to shift into 3rd gear. I have the 3.9L V6. Once it gets into overdrive it is fine but getting there is not good for the truck. I have parked it until I figure out what is wrong with it. A transmission shop said that it was my bands that are going bad but I have been burned in the past by automotive shops and tend not to trust everything thy say. If anyone has onformation it would be appreciated.
  • jjdoozerjjdoozer Member Posts: 2
    Ok. I really don't know if this is transmission, transfer case, rear end or what and neither does my local Dodge garage. I have a 05 Dakota 4.7 4X4. It has 45000 miles on it. This problem started at about 40K and it has been in the garage a couple times and had all of the diagnostics done. I will be driving down the road at hwy speeds and the 4 lo light will start flickering on and off. This will be followed shortly by a "thump" under the truck. The speed and tach will not change. It originally was more likely to start this when I was in hills, but is getting more frequent. I can sometimes hear a whine before the "thump". I may go 50 miles with out it happening, or it may happen 3-4 times per mile. I have changed the TPS and it did not help.
  • glenn973glenn973 Member Posts: 6
    Hey there, I can't seem to find anything that exactly describes my problem:

I have a 2002 Dakota Quad 4x4 8cyl 5.9 w/ 86,000miles
    Recently when coming to a stop the transmission will either fail to shift from 2nd to 1st or will downshift to 1st but jump back up to 2nd after I come to a complete stop.
    After sitting for a minute it will sometimes shift to 1st ok, other times it doesn't and I have to manually shift it to 1st.(no problems with manual shifting)

This is a rather intermittent problem, sometimes it will act up for the whole day, sometimes I can go for 5+ days and not have any incident.

I took it to a local shop, they ran tests, and pulled the pan. Tests came up clean. They claim the pan had some metal flakes in it. I unfortunately was not there to verify it. They want to rebuild it for about $2000.

I am going to take to somewhere else for a 2nd opinion as I think having to rebuild a tranny at 86,000miles is absolutely nuts. However I wouldn't be totally surprised as there has not been much done in the way of maintenance.

Could this just be a case of neglect on my part or is there hope for a less expense answer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Glenn
  • sjbrushsjbrush Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9L V6 110,00 miles. I recently purchased the vehicle but dont know much of the vehicles history.

It has developed a shifting problem with the overdrive. When I apply regular gas pedal pressure it seems to shift fine. However, when I am around 45-50mph and I fluctuate the gas pedal the transmission feels like it is jumping between 3rd gear (or 4th if there is one) and overdrive. Its the hardest shift I have ever felt. It's almost like it doesn't know what gear it should be in.

I checked the transmission fluid level and color and it seems to be ok. On another note, when I drive with the O/D off it seems to shift just fine. I have been reading many forums postings but cant seem to find someone with a similar problem.

My first thought was to change the transmission filter (not a flush). But I have read many other posting talking about solenoids, trans cables, and TPS's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • challenger3challenger3 Member Posts: 4
    My 98 Durango had the some problem. I flushed the system put in new ATF-4 fluid and new filter, added Lucas product, after several thousand miles no change. On line someone suggested a product called Auto-RX, I went to the web site and ordered a quart, added 16 oz. as they said to do. I have now driven 500 miles and the tranny shifts like brand new. I don't normally fall for these additives as most are snake oil but this one is the real thing. They only sell on line, go to www.Auto-RX.com for info to order and good luck.
  • sjbrushsjbrush Member Posts: 2
    I checked out there website and they recommend adding 6oz of the cleaner and then doing a transmission flush. Did you just add the fluid and leave it?

I added half a bottle of Sea Foam which is another product that cleans transmissions. It sounds like I should add the whole bottle?
    I messed up on the quantity when I added it. I talked on the phone to the guy who holds the patent and I thought he said to add 16oz., the correct amount is 6oz. as the web site says. I have since talked to him again and he said that it would not cause a problem but 6 oz, is the correct amount. No I have not drained and flushed the system, I will wait until I run it the entire 1500 miles, at that point I intend to flush the system and replace with ATF 4.
    I had the same problem with my 98 Durango, the TPS did no good either. As a last resort I added auto-rx, 500 miles later it started shifting like new. See my message on posting #270.
  • mgk8ballmgk8ball Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota V8. I was wondering where the transmission overdrive solenoid is physically located on the truck.

Thanks
    Hi, It's me again. I went out to the garage and checked the bottle again. I used one half the bottle which is only a 12 oz. bottle so it means that I used the correct 6 0z. amount. The reason the original message said 16oz. is because I new I used half but thought the bottle was 32 oz. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
  • bzeiherbzeiher Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 dodge dakota 4 door with 4.7 V8 4WD. the problem is when coming to a stop, the transmission wants to shift to second gear and it stalls out the truck. After reading symptoms from other entries from this site I changed out my TPS sensor (From Napa parts). But it did not solve my problems

HEEELLLPPP!!!!

Bill
    Perhaps the speed-sensor screwed into the rear differential is not sending the proper signals to the computer? (telling it to shift)
  • tonym5tonym5 Member Posts: 6
    I have a question about the truck's performance. If I am climbing a steep hill, the transmission downshifts but on occasion it slips out of gear and the engine rpms increase. As I decrease the throttle, the transmission goes back into gear and performs normally. There are no engine lights or codes. This happens only a few times. Is this a normal situation? Is it some type of safety feature?
    As is in the past, thanks for your help. The information given on this forum is very useful.
    WOW,, how many different sensors are related to shifting? I thought it would have stopped with TPS and transmission sensors. I have not changed the Transmission input and output sensors. should I consider that as well?
  • eddiekokoeddiekoko Member Posts: 1
    :cry::cry::cry: i own a 2001 dakota with a 3.9 v-6 and my problem is this,,,while coasting to a stop or just driving slow in heavy traffic my tranny starts to jump hard from 1st to 2nd gear repeatedly. also when starting out from a dead stop the truck acts like it wants to stall and backfires. i have 100,000 miles on this truck and never before have i had any kind of problem. both of these problems just started 3 days ago and i don't drive it till it's fixed. sure miss my truck!!!
    The number of sensors related to shifting are perhaps too many to count. Not only are the obvious sensors like ThrottlePosition and Speed sensors. But there are a myriad of hydrolic sensors within the xmission itself. (plus inputshaft speed sensor)

BTW: One reason that the roadSpeed sensor is mounted within in the rear differential is because it also serves as the xmission output speed sensor.

There is a sensor under the battery to determine ambient (air) temp. The temparature of the engine and several other engine sensors are also considerd in the shift algorythim.

Also, the engine computer can "calculate" things like engine torque and reprogram the xmission shift points based on instantanious calculations.

What does all the above mean to you..... DO NOT TRY TO FIX A PROBLEM BY BLINDLY REPLACING SENSORS! In the trade, this is known as "shotgunning" a problem. (And run fast from any "mechanic" who wants to shotgun your problem with this tecnique at your expense.)
  • colkd2002colkd2002 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Dakota Sport Quad Cab. 4.7 L V8 Automatic with 108,000 miles. Lately I have been having problems with the truck getting stuck in park. When I start the truck, I can't get it to shift out of park. If I take out the Trans Pos Ind Fuse(Fuse #8) and put it back in then it will sometimes switch over to neutral and then back to park. If I time it right then I can get it out of park. After I manage to get it out of park it will shift through every gear including park until I shut the truck off. Then it will do it all over again. Any Ideas?
  • jerseygirl79jerseygirl79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 dodge dakota, all the gears work perfectly exceot 1 st gear, i have to ger it rolling at a speed high enough to shift to 2nd gear, i do have an automatic tranny, can anyone help
  • eidlwseidlws Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 DAK Quad with 172k miles. Changed the battery last month and I have noticed transmission shudder at hiway speeds. Especially when shifting into OD. Just changed my spark plugs and problem still exists. Changed the TPS over a year ago. Do I need to get my chip re-flashed having recently diconnected the battery and can I do this myself somehow?
    Thanks, Great site.
  • leilsonleilson Member Posts: 1
    I was at a stop light when all of sudden the car would not move no matter what gear I put it in. I have V-6 Auto. Prior to this I switch to 4 wheel drive when I first got in the car about 5 miles back
    UPDATE: I noticed ODBII code "P0303"(=misfire on cylinder #3) after doing a diag check, so I changed the spark plugs. No differance so I then changed out the Coil on plug for cylinder #3 and still no change. The shudder is not constant but occurs when the vehicle first goes into it's 4th gear (auto trans) or after it's been running a while and is climbing a hill in 4th gear. Can't feel the shudder at the lower gears. :sick:
  • coxjcoxj Member Posts: 4
    2001 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab, 3.9L V6, Automatic, 87K miles.

Overdrive dropping out intermittently at speeds between 45 and 65 MPH. I see a good number of similar complaints on the web. Is there any consensus on the cause and/or fix?
  • erik89erik89 Member Posts: 1
    1998 dodge dakota 3.9 v6 extended cab slt 4x4, 152k miles

when taking off my tranny slips from 1st to 2nd and then shift hard the rest of the gears, also it slips going up hills from 1st to 2nd. what is causing this and what will fix it?
  • bgrewalbgrewal Member Posts: 3
    I have Dodge Dakota 2002 with 96000 miles. I have serious problem with transmission. Xmission light has come at about 93000 miles and now xmission started to playup. Is this known problem?
  • coxjcoxj Member Posts: 4
    sjbrush,

Have you been able to find a solution to this problem? My '01, 4x4, 3.9 has the same symptoms at 87K miles.

jc
  • paulyopaulyo Member Posts: 1
    I've been having my 02 Dakota gear shift stuck in park off and on for the past two years! Has been very aggravating. It happened again this weekend. My buddy decided to take a good look at the gear shift. He slid the rubber boot off the gear shifter and there it be - a small steel button that pops in and out to let the shifter engage! He pushed the button and we were off. I'm not sure what engages the button to pop in and out, but whatever it is, it's wearing out. I wonder if the new Dodge recall coming in January 08 has anything to do with it. I hope so but I doubt it. The recall is about some Dakotas rolling while in park. How scarry! Anyone have any thoughts on "the button"?
    Paulyo
    so are you saying replace the rear differential sensor and then see what happens?
  • rolandtignorrolandtignor Member Posts: 5
    I've been searching for years and years for an answer to this question.
    When taking off from the house down the road I put my foot on the gas pedal and the truck rpms rev up real high and it doesn't change gears until I let off of the gas pedal. Then it shifts into gear.
    This happens all the way down the road going up to 70mph.
    I've got a 93 dodge dakota, V6, 3.9L.
    Does anyone have any clues as to why I'm having this problem.
    Please advise and thanks for your help.
  • cubanskycubansky Member Posts: 8
    This sounds like what happens to my 2002 dakota. it could be the TPS.
    Try this, the next time before you start the engine press on the gas pedal a couple of times then start and drive. if it drives ok then you found the problem.
    Good luck.
  • rolandtignorrolandtignor Member Posts: 5
    cubansky, thanks for the tip. I'll give her a whirl and report back later on.
    Thanks
    UPDATE: to my previous posting on tranny shudder on 4.7L at high speed going into O.D. or up hill on hiways.
    I had P0303 from the ODBII. I've already changed the plugs and coil to cylinder #3. Finally pulled the fuel rail and replaced the injector at #3 and all is good. No rust or gunk in the fuel rail, just an intermittent injector? Works fine now :D
    I have 172,000 miles on my "01" DAK and am wondering what the life expectancy of these fuel injectors are? Should I have done all four on the rail or 8 on the engine. The one injector replacement cost me $250 at a local garage. Ouch!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Fuel injector issues on the 4.7 appear to be extremely low. I think yours is only the second or third one I've heard about since the 4.7 was introduced in 2000. High mileage injectors could possibly benefit from a full fuel service, where the injectors are cleaned on or off the engine.

There is of course a practical limit to every mechanical component. Due to dirt, pintle wear or a weakened coil, a functioning fuel injector does not mean they are operating as efficiently as they did when they were new.

Our '99 Avalon as had four injectors replaced before it reached 90,000 miles and the back four should be replaced now. My '03 4.7 Dakota has 92,000 on it and judging from the fact the fuel mileage has remained high and there are no performance problems I suspect my injectors are fine.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • penny52penny52 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new dodge dakota 8 cyl less than a week after I bought it I started having problems with it. It doesn't happen all the time just once and a while I have had it back to the shop many times and I am told unless I can reproduce the problem they can't fix it. When you get in the truck and start it up and it doesn't matter if you set there for a few minutes to let the engine warm up. When you start it up you know right then that you are going to have a problem because the engine races like you have your foot on the gas. Then when you pull out the truck won't go fast enough to lock the doors. The engine revs and the tack goes up but the truck barely moves. After you go about 1/2 of a block it kicks in and runs fine. Or if you pull back in the drive way turn off the engine and start it back up it runs fine. any suggestions. :lemon: :lemon:
    Another UPDATE: After a couple of long trips (150 mi) the problem has returned.
    New plugs, coil and ejector.
    I see where the O2 sensor could have a part in this problem. Any suggestions before I replace anymore devices?

Thanks,
    :confuse:
  • bgrewalbgrewal Member Posts: 3
    It is strange, I have the same problem. Also, 5 months after this problem I got engine light on. I took it to dodge they said some sensor on crank shaft is not working. They change the plugs. I have been driving for past 4 days, Racing problem hasn't come back. But then again, it never used to happen every day. So I am not quite sure whether its gone away or waiting to happen again. They ordered the crankshaft sensor, I have to take the truck back to get it replaced. To conclude, after paying $750 engine light is still on, they screwed up the cruise control and engine is overheating in trafic.
  • shislopshislop Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 2006 dakota quad V8 5 speed auto to tow my boat (5500 lb W/Trailler). The dealer put a class 4 hitch and wiring on. When I asked about the Tranny cooler he said it was built in. My ubderstanding was the cooler was an addition and located in front of the radiator. Am I getting a line? How do I tell if it hase the Trans cooler?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I think this may be a case of asking the wrong question.

Yes, if the vehicle has an automatic transmission it has a transmission cooler. They all do. It is built into the radiator.

I think what you wanted to know, or wanted to ask, is does the truck have an AUXILARY transmission cooler? On Dakotas the auxilary transmission cooler is located between the air conditioning condenser and the radiator. It looks like a small radiator. If the vehicle has the factory equiped towing package it should have auxilary cooling.

Regardds,
    Dusty
  • dodgechickdodgechick Member Posts: 1
    I hope somebody can help me out here..... I have a 93 Dakota LE with a 318. Automatic transmission.

After many years, and many miles, of reliablility, my tranny finally needs to be replaced. I been looking around at junkyards and online sites for prices for a new or used tranny. But I did come across both a 91 and a 92 Dakota for sale, both with good trannies, for about half the price the junkyard was quoting me. Same engine size.

The question is.... would a transmission from a 91 or 92 Dakota be compatible with my 93??

:confuse:

** Dodge Chick **