Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I would want confirmation that the correct fluid was in there. Chrysler transmissions will only run properly on ATF+3 or ATF+4 depending on the year. If Dexron/Mercon or "universal" transmission fluid is used in a Chrysler automatic, you will indeed hear noises that can lead to problems later on.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • gpiriegpirie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dakota Quad Cab with a V-8 engine. Periodically when starting out in the morning the engine races and the transmission feels like it isn't engaging correctly. After about a quarter of a mile, the door locks click in and the transmission engages correctly. I think the door locks are coincidence, but my wife isn't so sure. It has been this way since new and it never does it at the dealers and they say that they can't duplicate.
    Regards, George
  • art21art21 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out the model # of the 1987-1989 Ddoge Dakota 3 speed automatic transmission that couples up to a 2.5, 4 cylinder engine. Wokring on a special project and would sure like to find out what model that is.
    Thank in advance,
    Art in Seattle
  • megie99megie99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 1994 dodge dakota v8 5.4L and when I place truck into drive it will Over rev and not shift into second, then after not shifting the trans just completely disengages and will not work until the truck is turned off and back on again. please Help.

Sincerely Kyle
  • janejanejanejane Member Posts: 1
    Has this problem been resolved? If so what as done to fix it? I have the same problem.

Thanks,
  • leeholeeho Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1994 dakota 5.2 auto 2-wheel dr and my Od quit,all other gears are fine,no chevk engine lite.Is there any one out there w/same problem and what shoul i do? :(
  • gdakota02gdakota02 Member Posts: 2
    While driving my Automatic 4x4 2002 Dodge Dakota's engine started to rev up and began to coast...so now in normal (D) Drive....it doesn't go...I put it in 2 low and 3 low it will engage and drive...and it did get me home (thank goodness)...but now I have no idea if I should invest in a diagnostic tool because the transmission light came on after a few minutes turning the car off and on....or should I drive it in low to the dealer to get it diagnosed....or a transmission repair shop...so many horror stories I have read makes me want to stay away from transmission shops or dealers...HElp!!!! I need advice on this nightmare.....possible $3K repair job. Aarrrrg....
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There are so many things that could be causing this. We really need to know what engine you have, how many miles, and what transmission maintenance have you performed.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ebtrrebtrr Member Posts: 6
    I have a 98 5.2L 4x4 at about 130K. There has been a faint whining noise for a while which

becomes audible at about 35 MPH when accelerating and remains when decelerating almost to 0

mph. It has been there for at least 60K miles I'd guess and was not sure what to make of it.

Dealer "couldn't hear it" as usual. Lost all faith in them.

I have been driving a car for a few months and the truck only once in a while. As I have

gone back to drive it periodically, the whine seems worse. Not sure if it really is or if

I'm just not used to it now.

Anyway, did some experimenting with it tonight and found that it is Overdrive related. Does

not occur when the O/D is off and goes away within two seconds as soon as the O/D is turned

off. Well that localizes it but I'm sure most shops will immediately want to pull the tranny

and rebuild it. Financially that is not in the cards. This is no longer my daily driver, but

occasionally I have to have a truck, sometimes for long trips. I have not pulled the pan and

I am not sure I'm up to it as I have never done it. I don't get inside engines and

transmissions but have done about everything else mechanical on vehicles.

The tranny seems to operate like new otherwise. No slipping or strange shifting. Have had

the tranny flushed, filter changed and refilled with Mopar synthetic twice so far in the

life of the truck, so it has been cared for. Fluid level seems normal.

Questions:

What are the possible issues I am looking at here and potential costs? Is the overdrive unit

a separate unit within the transmission that can be pulled and replaced or rebuilt without

tearing down the tranny? Is it possible this is related to the control solenoid or other

external parts? (I doubt this one)

Any help appreciated.
  • 1lenny1lenny Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 dodge dakota with the neat little "overdrive off" swicth. What is the proper way to use this tranny around town, freeways and hills, with and without a laod. I have the 3.9 tranny. thanx for any help. btw. i have just aquired this well maintained truck.
  • 47dodge47dodge Member Posts: 2
    It is Tecnically not Kiking out of over drive.
    The Transmission has a Lock Up Torque Converter that is Electric controlled
    The shift you feel is the torque conv. locking and unlocking.
    There ere 2 Speed sensors 1 located in the rear axle and 1 located in the transmission.
    I believe it is located in the output/ rear end of the Trans.
    I had mine replaced on my 99 about 60000 miles ago. The other thing that those sensors can do is keep the lockup engauged and make the Trans act like a manual trans. when you come to a stop sign the engine dies as if you didn't step on the clutch
  • 47dodge47dodge Member Posts: 2
    After driving in rush hour the engine is up to temp and then some from not moving in traffic. The trans starts out fine in 1st then into 2nd then the engine revs and no more GO!.
    Let off the gas slow down then the tranny starts to grab.
    Found that if I Shift it to1st and run a little while then shift to 2nd then 3rd so on and keep the RPM. down below 2000 it will get Me home.
    160,000 on Tranny Fluid/Filter changes some reg. approx 35-40 thou.
    First thought was time for filter change, Done still acting up.
    Any one else with simular troubles :confuse:
  • gdakota02gdakota02 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Thanks for looking at my posting ;)

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 Club Cab 8 Cyl. 4.7 Fuel injected - Automatic Transmission, and 62,365 miles. I bought it used from a dealer.. have been happy with it till now ;( ...I have basically done the basic maintenance...oil changes tires...nothing drastic...I checked the transmission fluid is a nice redish clear color...looks to be a full/normal level on the dipstick and has not been leaking anything. Is my diagnosis...bad ;( like I have to work crazy hard to pay up for fixing the transmission...Eeeekkk.... A gal I know said her friend had the same thing happening recently... he had the belts changed..yadda yadda.. and it still had the slipping....anywho long story short..he traded his in. I do not have that option..nor do I want to get rid of it..I love my truck! Any suggestions would b appreicated. Thanks in advance! G
  • dandywdandyw Member Posts: 3
    2000 Dakota Standard 4X4. When I engage clutch in first gear the transmission wants to jump and "buck" hard and then when I disengage to stop the "bucking" it sounds like everything "clanks" back into place. Only does this in first gear, under torque, starting from a dead stop. If I rev the engine before engaging clutch, I can avoid this sometimes. I can start out in 2nd gear (4.7 engine) and there is no problem at all. I'm thinking it may be a broken transmission mount. Any suggestions will be great help.
    2000 Dakota Standard 4X4. When I engage clutch in first gear the transmission wants to jump and "buck" hard and then when I disengage to stop the "bucking" it sounds like everything "clanks" back into place. Only does this in first gear, under torque, starting from a dead stop. If I rev the engine before engaging clutch, I can avoid this sometimes. I can start out in 2nd gear (4.7 engine) and there is no problem at all. I'm thinking it may be a broken transmission mount. Any suggestions will be great help.
  • dafoemdafoem Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Dakota is doing the same thing.

You mentioned pressing on the gas pedal a couple times before starting the engine.

How far did you depress the gas pedal, was it couple light taps, half or full pedal press downs?

Thanks for the advice.
    Hmmm. Well, with the 4.7 engine you should have the 545RFE transmission. Problems with this model transmission are extremely rare. With that mileage I'd find it hard to believe you have a hard problem, unless someone added Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid, which will cause the 545RFE to fail.

Since you have every drive position except "Drive," my first suspect is either a transmission shift cable binding, damaged, or out of adjustment. Another likely suspect would be a defective shift position switch.

i would recommend that you have a Dodge dealer inspect it and check for codes.

Please let me know what opinions you get.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • jjdoozerjjdoozer Member Posts: 2
    OK. I posted back in Nov and didn't really hit anyone who could help, but am trying again. My 2005 4.7 4x4 Dakota (48K miles) will flash the 4 lo light off and on and will "thump" as I drive down the highway. Dealer couldn't find the problem and said to drive it until it got worse. (still has a drive train warrenty). It usually didn't do it much when I was going slow, but last week it did, and actually succeeded in locking itself in 4 lo. I took it in and they cycled it back out. They said that I did not have the standard transfer case and that I must have put it into 4 lo wrong at some time causing it to still think it needed in 4 lo. "Now it is fixed". Ha. two miles down the road I was back to blinking and thumping. It is basically undrivable at this time, and they are baffled. It is going back in tonight, but they have no idea what they are going to do.
  • davenvickdavenvick Member Posts: 1
    I have a hesitation around 40mph on level roads. Changed tranny oil, new plugs, air filter, new TPS. No codes tripped. Problem gets worse in hot weather. Dodge garage could not find issue on first visit.....not sure if I want to fork out more money. Any ideas?
    I'm sorry, but after re-reading your post it dawned on me that I missed the comment about the transmission indicator being illuminated. I recommend checking all of the fuses in the instrument panel fuse block. If the IOD fuse fails this can cause your symptoms.

The transmission indicator on newer Daks indicates a transmission overheating condition. I'm not sure about a 2000 Dakota, but if this is true you could have a clogged transmission filter or a BAD transmission filter. Some transmission filters were defective and could also cause a loss of pressure, and ultimately loss of drive.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • 2002qcdd2002qcdd Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some advice for my 2002 4.7 Quad Cab Dakota 4x4. In recent driving, I have notice a surging of RPMs when driving on the highway (60-70 mph). The RPM will shoot up to 3500 or so for about a second and then drop back down to 3000/3100. This will happen intermittently and in varied conditions (hot, warm, cold) but only when going above 55 mph. It happens when I have the cruise on or off, doesn't matter. It sometimes happens 5 minutes into the trip or as long as 1 hour into a trip before it happens. Very random.
    I am taking our Youth Group to a gathering at the end of the month and this issue makes me nervous for our smooth traveling. The Dodge dealer said they can't do anything until they can recreate the problem and get a scanner on the truck. Problem is that they are never open when it starts happening? Should I worry about breaking something soon? Are there certain symptoms that I should be looking for to help pinpoint the problem? I am wondering and it has also been mentioned that it may be the Torque Converter or the TC Clutch? If anyone has some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • scoopyexscoopyex Member Posts: 31
    swap out the throttle position sensor. it's a $22.00 part at Pepboys and takes about 30 seconds to change. A torx drive will be required to remove the two screws holding it onto the side of your throttle body. I had the same exact problem with my 2000 Dakota. A faulty throttle position sensor doesn't pop any codes so don't expect to find any. It's causing your problems because gunk has formed on the contacts inside of it's housing. A quick fix is to repeatedly move your throttle pedal (without the engine running) from the idle position to full throttle for about 10-15 seconds. It's a bandaid fix at best.
  • new2daksnew2daks Member Posts: 3
    I just a bought a '02 Dak base model with 79K mi. When I shift down into P the dash indicator will either stay on R or not light up. Sometimes it is in P and sometimes it is in N. On one occasion I had reversed and when I shifted to D it would not move forward. Had to go to P and then back to D. There is a 30 day warranty on the tranny and I don't want it to expire without having this concern addressed. How should I explain this to the dealer's service rep so that the correct action is taken?

Also, the spare tire lowering shaft is misaligned from the guide hole preventing the lowering rod connection. It being a stiff metal rod, how should it be realigned?
    I do not think it is a major transmission problem, in fact I'm pretty sure it's not in the transmission at all. As Dakota's of that vintage start to age I'm seeing more problems developing with the shift cable, a relatively inexpensive repair.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    excellent. I'll mention it at the service check. thanks.
    I failed to mention it's an automatic. Does the shift cable symptom still apply?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Yes - only the automatic has a shift cable...... The manual xmission has a DIRECT connection from the shift-lever into the xmission housing with no linkage at all.
  • bugsbunny549bugsbunny549 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Dakota with a 4.7 in it, just bought it about a month and half ago. It has 91000 miles tonight on it, i drove it out of town for the evening, with a round trip of about 130 miles, ive never had a problem with it before.

I stopped at a store when I got into town, and when I get back out, my dakota is acting very wierd, It was almost as though it dropped gears, and when I was in first it was having very hight rpms, in fact when i got it into "5th" gear it was running about 3500 RPM and i was going under 30 mph.

Along with this it was clanking, almost as though their were loose metal parts just dragging on the road along with me, when i got home i saw nothing was disconnected, but I did notice what I assume to be the clutch was smoking. I havent touched it and decided to wait and see if it starts until morning, but any ideas?
  • andyb1975andyb1975 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I hope someone can help me out here...I have a '98 Dakota Sport 3.9 V6 2WD, about 105,000 miles. I haven't had too many problems with it until now. I took it up the road about 4 miles, and along the way, the transmission began to slip. Luckily I made it back home, but it was slipping so bad, I could only go about 25 mph. When I got home, I noticed the leak. Red fluid coming from the front of the truck (around the radiator). Does this make sense? A buddy told me that I need a new radiator, but he knows as little about cars as I do. There is a mechanic about a mile away from me, but he's overpriced, and I don't know if the truck would even make it there. And I'd prefer not to pay for a tow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Andy
  • disumiadisumia Member Posts: 6
    i hope im doing this right im a new member. i own a 2001 4.7 quad and something keeps leaking into my front passenger floor board. i have checked all houses and i do not loose coolent or wiper fliud. i love my truck but i am in to it more then it would have cost to by a new one. please can anyone help i dont know were else to look.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    You might want to check the AC drain which is in the area of where your leak is. There is a possibilty that the drain hose is clogged and it is backing up.
    i will try that thank you so very much. any ideas though on which hose that would be. im sorry to have to ask. i love my truck but it has been one fix after another and now im trying to do simple things on my own so i can at least try to make payments on the motor and trans.
  • rtm7550rtm7550 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 dakota quad cab w/ 4.7L v8 magnum engine it has 25,000 miles on it. Yesterday i drove over to a friends house ( 10mi.) no problems. 5minutes later I went to leave and got to end of driveway stopped at stop sign when I pressed on the gas, truck wouldn't go. it was like I was in neutral. put gear in park then tried reverse same thing. We pushed it back to her parking space. I checked the tranny fluid and was less then a 1/4 of a qt. low. which I replaced. A few hours later l tried again truck shifted gears and engaged fine but tranny seems to be making a "whirling" noise like it's turning but not catching right away when I put it in P and D. And it "clunks" when I put it in Park. I'm taking it into the dealer's tomorrow but wondering if anyone has had similar problems. I notice that for the past week when shifting into D it seemed to be in neutral but when I "wiggled" gear shift it was fine. This only happened a few times. Other then that truck has ran fine
    Lets hope that you added ONLY the Dodge-approved automatic-xmission fluid. (Using Dexron...etc is asking for trouble)
    yes I did Mopar atf+4 transmission fluid
    i use to once in a blue moon have the same issue with my 01 quad and then all of a sudden about a month ago i noticed that when i would stop it almost felt like the abs would kick in. then my check engine light came on. i took it to aamco to find that there is a pressure ring in a planarity gear Over drive. that had broke and was causing slippage. so you may want to have it checked.
    thanks I'll do that. hopefully that"s all it is.
  • memo2memo2 Member Posts: 1
    my truck is great but there is a noise that come fom the transmission when you drive it. It drives good there is no delays on the shifts you step on the gas and it takes off really smooth. ive tried everything someone please give me some info
  • duhkoda55duhkoda55 Member Posts: 2
    I hope someone can help me out I have a 94 dakota 2wd and i just rebuilt the tranny in it but i have a leak from the pan. There is a brand new gasket on it I was thinking to drop the pan back down and put just RTV on it. would that be a good ideal or no.
  • gsfr659gsfr659 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 QC 4.7 4x4 and recently recieved a letter from the local dealer that there was a recall on the switch that requires you to depress the brake to remove the vehicle from park. They said it was a safety hazard. I've had no problems with mine though.
  • djnewdjnew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dakota Sport, 2WD. It has been serviced and rebuilt once already. Since the rebuild if I leave the truck sit for 7 days or so, I notice a puddle of tranny fluid under it. It continues to grow to a sizable puddle. My mechanic tells me if a Dakota is left to sit for several days the fluid drains down to the pan and comes out through a valve. i have never heard of a transmission not being a sealed system. Should the transmission be leaking if left unused? Also, it has a tendancy to shift very hard into gear at 32 mph. If I accelerate quickly is seems to shift smooth. If I drive slowly it gets to 30 or 32 and really strains to shift. Any ideas??
    You did not mention if it was the TRANSMISSION which was rebuilt or not... but obviously the xmission is not right.

NOTE: Make absolutely CERTAIN that only the proper Dodge-specified fluid is used in your xmission. Using something like Dexron (GM fluid) has been known to destroy the valves/clutches in a Dodge xmission.

There are reams of reading on the internet which explain why using the wrong fluid in a Dodge automatic xmission can damage the valves/clutches. Essentially, the design of Dodge xmissions expects a certain 'friction coefficient' and using the wrong fluid can cause hard-shifting until the xmission self-destructs.

Unfortunately, just adding the correct fluid will not fix a leak. :cry:
    Let me guess. The guy that told you that drives a chevy or a Ford!

There is no such "valve" that releases fluid from any Chrysler built transmission onto the ground. Fluid should not be leaking from the transmission for any reason. Next time you're at a Dodge dealer look under every Dodge truck, Dakota or RAM, and see if there's tranny fluid under them. Some of these trucks sit in one spot for weeks or months.

I'm assuming this is an automatic transmission. If fluid is leaking from the transmission it is not normal. There are a number of areas of the transmission that have a potential for leaking, including the rear output shaft seal, shift lever pivot shaft, throttle valve pivot shaft, front seal, or the transmission oil pan, just to name a few.

If this transmission has been apart by somebody, check to see if there is a transmission pan gasket installed. A gasket is not used by Chrysler on automatic transmission pans because they eventually leak. Chrysler uses RTV sealant from the factory and that's what I use. Mine or any I've done have never leaked. (Chrysler part number 05010884AA.)

Most aftermarket transmission fluid filters include a gasket. Most of these that I've seen are compressed cork and rubber composition. Cork swells and eventually displaces the rubber component, rendering small voids that absorb fluid causing the ATF to wick out. Also, when a gasket is used the oil pan bolts will have a tendency to loosen over time because you cannot properly torque the pan bolts down without overtightening the gasket and crushing the material. This can accelerate a leak.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • chineseguychineseguy Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I am new member and from Canada, hope some one can give an advise about the transmission, I recently brought a used 05 Dakota SLT 4.7 V8 q.cab with 186 thousand k on it, the truck run great until recently weather change to cold, it happened once a while at the cold morning or even afternoon nice temp. the tranny seen to be not engage at least the first 10-20 second, than it run great, but it only happened once a while, doesn't metter cold or warm, any help. Thanks.
    If you have a Dakota (or a Jeep or RAM, for that matter) with a 4.7 engine, you also have the 545RFE automatic transmission. This transmission has a reputation for being exceptionally reliable and trouble free. The only cause I've seen or heard of that causes delayed engagement is a defective Cooler Return Filter. There was an approximate four month period of time that Cooler Return Filters were defective from the component manufacturer. This is covered in Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin 21-015-05 as follows:

"The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight.The initial shift engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is first selected after engine start.

The customer may not have experienced the delayed shift engagement until after the transmission has been serviced, where the cooler return filter was replaced during the service and/or repair.

The condition is not detrimental to the transmission but may cause concern with the customer. The above condition may be caused by a suspect cooler return filter a part number of 04799662AB. This “AB” suffix / level filter may allow transmission fluid to drain back out of the torque converter. The drain back condition may occur over a period time when the engine (and transmission) are not running. With less fluid in the torque converter a delay in gear engagement may occur at engine start up while the torque converter fills to its proper fluid level.

All 04799662AB cooler return filters with the “AB” suffix are suspect. The above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect “AB” filter with a new cooler return filter whose part number is 04799662 (with no suffix or with a suffix that is other than the “AB” level).

NOTE: The cooler return filter, p/n 04799662, will not be available until September 09, 2005. The filter part number is stenciled on the side of the filter
    case.

NOTE: A replacement 04799662 cooler return filter may come packaged with a
    separate threaded adapter stud. The threaded adapter stud is used to attach the cooler return filter to the transmission. Inspect the stud and note end without threads. Install the stud end without the threads into the cooler return filter and tighten the stud-to-filter connection to 18.6 Nm (165 in. lbs.). Once the threaded adapter stud has been installed to the cooler return filter, install the assembled cooler return filter to the transmission and tighten the filter to 14.1 Nm (125 in. lbs.)."

Regards,
    Dusty
  • chineseguychineseguy Member Posts: 8
    Thanks and very appreciated, I will look in to it, my guess is last owner might be just get a after market cooler filter.
  • terrimwterrimw Member Posts: 1
    We are looking to purchase a 96 Dodge Dakota V6 Transmission for our son. One owner, very clean, low mileage. Unable to talk to the previous owner (has passed away) but did speak to his son who said there were no problems that he was aware of but admitted to limited knowledge.
    The check engine light is on and it's sending a code of 1762. The code indicates three possibilities and all three have been checked/changed. First they replaced the PCM, then they ran a pressure test which came back normal and finally replaced the governor sensor. The light is still on.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be? I don't want to buy the truck even though we're getting a really good deal if we're buying a big bunch of trouble. All input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :confuse:
    I looked up the code 1762 and it came back as "The Governor Pressure Sensor input was too high or too low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations."

This is a TRANSMISSION code... not the engine. It sure sounds to me as if somone has been "shotgunning" the problem by blindly replacing parts.

If it were me, I would first replace the xmission fluid (and all filters) to ensure it has only the Dodge-specified fluid in it. (Using Dexron (GM) fluid is known to cause problems in Dodge xmissions.)

Of course... to replace the "governor pressure solenoid and sensor (transducer)." the filter and fluid should have also been changed.

If that does not help.. then a transmission-shop that has the equipment to read the datastream while driving should be able to isolate the trouble.
    Exactly how many miles are on this vehicle?

Has this vehicle sat for a prolonged period, or had infrequent use?

How does it Drive? How are the shifts?

How is the park-to-drive or nuetral-to-drive engagement? Is it harse?

Regards,
    Dusty