Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• I noticed this little problem at the end of last winter. I did a tranny flush and it went away until this slight cold spell. Now here's the problem.

At crank up when cold the transmission seems like it slips in 2nd and 3rd gears.
    75% of the time I can turn off and on the OD and it will engaged into gear.
    All this happens only when it is cold. When it the tranny warms up about 2 or 3
    miles it shifts fine from there on out.

If anyone has eny ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry if this is a former question.

Thanks Chad
  • I have a Dak '02 that has about 100K miles. Last night the truck would not shift into park. I can turn the truck of and on, shift into reverse and drive and it works. I had noticed in last several weeks the shifter handle had lots of "play" when in drive. Meaning, I could move the lever up and down a inch or so before it would hit another gear such as D1 or Neutral. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • i have 02dak they sent me a recall paper talking there have been some 02 dak shifting out of park into neutral might wont check local dealer to see if it covers the recall
  • my 02 dak wont shift out of first until it hits 5000 rpms and im not sure if it starts out in first sometimes it has 12000 miles my cousin had it first and he had the same prom.but he changed the fluid and filters and it worked fine for a while but now it is acting up again .i dont know much about it i know it my have some censors on it but i dont know were some told me it could be a censor.if someone could tell me i would appreciate it
  • I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 with the 3.9L V6 engine and auto transmission. In the last week the truck has been losing power and doesn't want to pull up hills now. At first, it wasn't too bad, but now it basically comes to a complete stop when going up a decent sized hill, and even struggles on level ground. The codes came back for the torque converter, shift solenoid A, O2 sensor, and Pres Cntrl Sol A.

I'm not sure where to start, as I have had the truck to a couple mechanics already and they tell me to take it somewhere else because they aren't sure where to start to pinpoint the problem either. The problem is that I'm not sure the truck can make it to where I need to take it, and I can't really afford to have it towed plus get the repairs done. I have read several threads about Dakota tranny problems and can't really find the info I need.

The transmission linkage is loose, and has been for a while now, but the truck still ran fine. I just have to start it in neutral and shift first to second to drive on takeoff. But now as soon as I put it in first it starts sputtering and doesn't want to pull. Out on the road every now and then, it does pretty well once it gets to about 40 mph. But it runs smoother in first gear than in drive, still not good in any gear, but better in first. The truck idles fine in park or neutral.

Sorry for the long thread, but I just wanted to try to give all the necessary info. Any help, tips, or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am just trying to pinpoint the problem as best I can without unnecessarily spending money on parts or repairs which may not be needed. Thanks to all who can help.

BTW, the error codes I received were: P0743, P0753, P0132, P0748.
  • I have a 1994 Dakota that has the 3.9 V-6 with automatic transmission... Can anyone tell me what other Dodge "years" or other Dodge vehicles that the transmissions will interchange in my Dakota? I guess mind is shot and I am wanting to go to the salvage yard and pull one, but don't know what other years or vehicles will interchange. Does anyone know?
  • Hey,

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota Auto with 145,000 miles. I have gotten the tranny flushed ever 30,000 miles since I bought it with 32,000 miles. I recently, only in cold weather ~45-50 degrees have been having a hard time getting it to shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. I just had it flushed with no resolve. What should I do?
  • I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L V-6. Up to this point, I've had no problems. A while back I had a problem starting my truck. I turned the key and nothing, just silence. I was baffled. Somehow or another I took the truck out of park into neutral and then put it back into park and it started right up. I was thinking my Transmission might be slipping.
    The Other day, I pulled into work and put the truck in park and went to reach over to get my gym bag and the truck took off in reverse almost hitting a car behind me. Scared sensless and thinking I had mistakenly put it in reverse I drove back to my spot and put the truck in park again. Took my foot off of the break and it again took off in reverse.
    I pulled back forward, put the truck in park, shut it off and put the E brake on.
    The indicator that shows what gear I'm in (P-R-N-D-2-1) is now off by a half a mark, ie. Neutral now shows as reverse, etc. The truck is still driveable right now but will not shift into Park. Any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • I saw that someone else had this problem but I never saw a response to his particular problem. I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L V-6. Up to this point, I've had no problems. A while back I had a problem starting my truck. I turned the key and nothing, just silence. I was baffled. Somehow or another I took the truck out of park into neutral and then put it back into park and it started right up. I was thinking my Transmission might be slipping.
    The Other day, I pulled into work and put the truck in park and went to reach over to get my gym bag and the truck took off in reverse almost hitting a car behind me. Scared sensless and thinking I had mistakenly put it in reverse I drove back to my spot and put the truck in park again. Took my foot off of the break and it again took off in reverse.
    I pulled back forward, put the truck in park, shut it off and put the E brake on.
    The indicator that shows what gear I'm in (P-R-N-D-2-1) is now off by a half a mark, ie. Neutral now shows as reverse, etc. The truck is still driveable right now but will not shift into Park. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Your linkage is out of adjustment. possibly caused by worn out parts in the mechanical linkages on the transmission or in your steering column. Your transmission will be damaged if you do not have the problem repaired as the selector in the transmission itself will be between gear selections and cause internal transmission problems and damage. Even though your selector says D your transmission could be locked between N and D and really wreck your day. That's why it won't start for you or only starts when you move the gear selector.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    A sticky or binding Throttle Position Cable can easily cause this symptom, and a strong suspect since the problem started to occur in the cold weather.

Another possible cause could be the Throttle Position Sensor, especially in that high mileage of a vehicle.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I have a 1998 Dakota Sport with a 5.2, Auto. I just bought it 5 days ago and now the transmission is gone. It just barely moves in reverse and will not shift out of first gear. I love the truck and want to get it going again ASAP.

I have a friend who has a 1995 Dakota 5.2, 5sp that I can get REAL cheap. What I want to know is does this truck have everything I would need for a trans swap??? Or are the clutch/brake pedal assembly, slave cylinder/clutch master cyl set up, crossmember, mounts, and so on different

Or am I just better off getting another auto from the junkyard(though after reading all these posts and based on my own experiences im not sure I want another auto.

Any help and info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Look. I may sound like a voice in the wilderness to you, but Dodge automatic truck transmisions are pretty sound, durable, and reliable units despite what anyone says. If you maintain the vehicle properly and don't abuse it, the RH or RE series Mopar tranny will out live a 4L60 or 4R75 any day.

If your symptom is as described, the likely problem is severe loss of pump pressure. In my experience this is caused by a clogged Anti-Drain Back Valve, Transmission Filter, or clogged cooling lines. The problem is that insufficient fluid flow may have caused burned clutches or overdrive unit. However, there are other possible causes that may may not require a complete overhaul.

I will bet this vehicle's transmission was not properly maintained. Unfortunately, you are likely stuck with the problem now. I would have the transmission overhauled and rebuild by a reputable transmission technician that will ensure that all of the updates have been performed (there are a number of them). Once this is done and you change fluid and filters regularly per the scheduled service interval, you should be able to have a reliable transmission for at least 100,000 miles.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • What you speak is the truth, When I got the truck the first thing I did was change all of the fluids, brakes and so on. When I dropped the trans pan the first thing I found that really dissapointed me about the previous owner(yes it was a one owner truck with 308,000km on it) was that it had the original filter from the factory and the magnet in the pan looked like a nice big donut there was so much debris on it. I had a good indication at this point I was going to be needing a trans soon, just didnt think it was going to be this soon.

I bought another trans from a local yard(it was alot cheaper than an over haul, and im on a VERY strict budget) I also ordered a Transgo shift kit for it, which I hope as their site says will remedy the problems that cause trans failure. I will take care of this new trans like it is my son, I love my truck and it kills me to see it just sitting in my driveway.

Thanks again Dusty, after spending a night reading EVERY post in this section I was hoping you would be the one who responded to me.
  • Well don't feel bad friend, I've asked two questions on here and haven't gotten an answer yet.. I'm beginning to think that no one on here knows the answers... Although my problem wasn't the same as yours, I didn't get an answer either... Good luck...
    I'm glad to have been helpful. I'm honored by your comments.

One thing I'd like to add is the importance of flushing the cooling lines after a rebuilt or a swap. The way you describe the magnet, I am worried that the cooling lines are restricted. This is a VERY common problem, and not just on Mopars.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Yes, this is a common symptom on older Dakotas.

The Shift Cable is binding or is badly out of adjustment. You could have a problem with the Transmission Range Sensor, but this is very rare and equally doubtful.

I suggest taking it to the dealer for repair.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    If you look on the side of the transmission housing, there should be either an "RH" or "RE" in raised letters cast into the housing. You should be able to use any RH downwards to '89. The RE series is a little more complicated since there could be a computer-to-transmission compatibility issue.

You can't use an "RH" to replace a "RE," and vice-versa.

Swaping transmissions from different years is not an approach I recommend, since there are often changes and differences (axle ratio, for example) that will have a bearing on transmission performance, reliability, and sometimes suitability.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • What you are describing sounds a lot like a catalytic converter problem. Had the same symptoms on two different trucks and the catalytic converter was clogged up on both. After putting a new one in (not inexpensive) they worked great. that may explain why the o2 sensor was appearing. Good luck.