Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• stealthb2stealthb2 Member Posts: 8
    fxallen,
    After reading dustyk post, he is correct. I had the dealer replace the shifter cable and when I went to pick up the truck, the mech could not get the ignition to unlock. After he removed the cable from the steering column, the ignition still would not unlock. His response to me when I asked what was next was, "...replace the steering column!" NO F'N WAY :mad: was mine back to him! After he isolated the problem on the lot, I thanked him and took care of it at home. I increased the tension on the return spring by adding some additional material under the edge where it hooks over closer to the driver. I cleaned the area by blowing out the dust with on of those computer canned air cans and then used some molylube on the plastic parts. After all of this, the ignition has not given me any problems. With living in a very dusty, desert climate that constantly has winds blowing from 5-40 MPH, I can not complain. I did make sure I have the correct screwdriver in the glovebox, in case it should give me a hassle. ;) Let me know if I can be of any help. stealthb2
  • fxallenfxallen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems to be no problem with the shifter cable per se ... works fine after the locking pawl is out of the way. Noticed that there is a recall on the 2001 and 2002's for roll aways due to this pawl NOT locking the shift lever in the Park position.

HAS to be some common problem here and I'm thinking there is too much metal to metal contact with no "bearing, sliding type material" in between these two metal surfaces. The slider is quite long and seems to be just a pot metal slider against a pot metal surface on the column.

Wonder what the replacement parts are for the fix for the recall??

Fred
  • macshastamacshasta Member Posts: 4
    This Dakota has been in storage for several years. After warming up to operating temperature the tachometer reading goes bonkers showing extreme rpm and the transmission goes decides to go bonkers by shifting down to a lower gear with a maximum speed of 30 or so. Shifting the transmission to neutral and then back to drive allows the process to repeat. As a newbie to MoPar, I haven't the foggiest notion of what to look for -but- my gut says it is some sort of sensor related to speed or throttle.

TIA
    macshasta
    service@macshasta.com
  • hadinhadin Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: i recently purchased a 99 dodge dakota single cab. while driving on the expressway, it would not shift out of third. rpms were roaring at 5 ( the red section) an i was only going about 45-50. while on a curvy stretch of road it did not handle curves well at all. the steering wheel would jerk if i turned it far left or right. and on the final stretch of residential streets, it would not shift out of second. i don't know much about the car and i would like to keep it, but i can't afford to spend anymore than $500 bucks. its in bad shape and i would like to get a plan together before i use the last drop of power left going to a mechanic. please advise
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    A couple of things quickly come to mind. This could be caused by a sticking Idle Speed Motor/Solenoid or you could have a cracked vacuum hose somewhere.

The Idle Speed Motor or Solenoid attaches to the Throttlebody Assembly. These get gummed up after a while and need to be cleaned. They will sometimes stick in the open position, which effectively raises the idle speed. You could also have a sticking/binding throttle cable or linkage. If the Throttle Pressure Pivot linkage is sticking, the return spring has rusted off, or the cable is binding, this can cause the throttle linkage to stick.

A split or cracked vacuum hose will do the same thing. Because of this vehicle's age and mileage, I recommend checking all of the vacuum hoses for cracking and/or splitting.

There are a number of sensors in the system that could contribute to this problem, the one most likely is the Coolant Temperature Sensor. This monitors the coolant temperature and feeds an input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If the PCM thinks the coolant temperature is very low, it will send a signal to the Idle Speed Motor/Solenoid to increase the idle speed.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I'm sorry, but its somewhat difficult to understand the symptoms here with your description. If the engine speed is at or near 5000 rpms and the road speed is at 45 or 50 MPH, then the transmission is either in second gear or the transmission is slipping. The other symptoms are either a result or coincidental, but I don't believe germane to the first symptom.

I would first start with checking the transmission fluid level. On Chrysler built vehicles, the transmission fluid must be checked on a level surface with the engine at normal operating temperature and the gearshift in neutral. If the transmission fluid is low or too high, you will get slipping. If the transmission requires any fluid, use ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid only.

If the fluid level is okay, there are a number of things that could be at fault, such as a sticking or inoperative shift solenoid, bad electrical connections to the transmission, etc. You may need to have someone retrieve the fault codes from the computer before anticipating any diagnosis or repair. Most Auto Zone or Advantage Auto stores will check the computer for codes at no charge.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks, Dusty. I think I mislead you regarding the tach going bonkers. The actual engine rpm is not being effected. The engine remains steady and smooth as silk. It is just the tach that shows an incorrect high engine speed and by putting the transmission into neutral, the tach drops back to the correct reading (around 3k) and the Dakota runs correctly for a few seconds - until the tach registers a high reading and then the dance continues.

TIA
    macshasta
    service@macshasta.com
    I'm sure the trans wasn't in second beacuse that was my original excuse/sign of denial. But i did find a transmission place that does free diaognatic check. so i will start there.

Thanks Dusty
    Okay. I think I understand now.

All the more reason to think you've got a vacuum leak.

Good luck,
    Dusty
    Sorry to be a pessimist, but I suspect they're going to tell you that you need a full rebuild.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • pwalkpwalk Member Posts: 2
    I posted this up before a couple of months back and I'm hoping for any help in a dx of this issue so I can take care of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2000 Dakota, 3.9 V6 2WD with an automatic transmission. The issue has been occuring for the last 2 years but rather infrequently. When making a left turn my truck falls out of gear.I usually handle it by laying off the gas and letting it shift down before coming to a complete stop. Then give it some gas and everything is fine again. I thought it might be a sensor but before I take it apart to replace the throttle sensor I just wanted to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before "operating" on her. The truck runs fine and the fluid is good on it. With 130,000 miles on it I know I'm probably getting to the point where I may need a new ride sooner before later but I'd like to keep this truck around for a long time. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

-Pete
    You have a 42RE transmission.

First, verify the fluid level. The vehicle must be on a level surface, the engine at normal operating temperature and the transmission in neutral. A low fluid level will cause this symptom.

Check the Throttle Position cable that goes from the throttlebody linkage to a pivot shaft on the left side of the transmission just forward of the large electrical connector. Check for binding by moving the cable end at the pivot shaft. There should be no signs of binding and the pivot shaft should return to the rest position consistently each time its moved. There should be a small return spring on the pivot bracket. A missing or broken return spring is a common occurrence on older, high mileage vehicles, especially those exposed to road ice removal chemicals. The pivot shaft seals sometimes get hard and can cause the shaft to stick.

If the Throttle Position Cable and Pivot check okay, you might have a low line pressure problem. Draining the fluid and replacing the transmission filter might fix this, especially if its never been done before. Remember, use only ATF+3 or ATF+4 in this transmission only. Do not substitute!

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dudeman1dudeman1 Member Posts: 6
    My 99 Dakota 3.9 A/T keeps slipping when turning left, and even downshifts when going up a left hand hill. I put fluid in and went on a 900 mile trip for 2 months and returned with no problems, except the lake of tranny fluid after I got back from this long trip. I have purchased RTV gasket maker for the fluid replacement, but not sure where to purchase the specific fluid - is the dealership the only place to get guaranteed correct fluid for the tranny on this truck? I'm getting ready to go back on this 900 mile trip this weekend and want to know what precautions I need to take prior to making the trip. Any help would be much appreciated! :confuse:
  • dge330dge330 Member Posts: 10
    dusty on this trans how many sensors are in the pan ?i plan on replaceing all while i am in there and do you have a diagram of the location of these?all help is apreciated thanks
    Your '99 was built with ATF+3, however ATF+4 has replaced it. You may use either. I have seen ATF+3 at Auto Zone stores. I know Chrysler licensed ATF+3 to Havoline or Valvoline, but I continue to use Mopar ATF+3 or 4 because I trust it.

Chrysler makes a chemically compatible RTV for Chrysler-built transmissions, it is Mopar ATF-RTV, MS-GF41B, #05010884AA. I've used other RTV brands in the past and all leaked eventually. Something in ATF+3 or 4 softens regular RTV.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    On a 42RE there are only two sensors that require the pan to be removed; the Govenor Pressure Sensor and the Transmission Temperature Sensor.

The Govenor Pressure Sensor is mounted to the Governor Body and the Transmission Temperature Sensor is mounted to the Governor Pressure Sensor. There is also a Governor Pressure Solenoid mounted to the govenor body that must be removed for disassembly. It requires a new O-ring when reassembled. Do not use the old O-ring.

The Output Speed Sensor is mounted in the overdrive case and is removeable from the outside of the transmission.

Are you sure you want to do this?

Regards,
    Dusty
    yea but i have to wait till it quits raining here .the ground under that shade tree i work under is a little wet .tanks
    before i go to the transmission shop, wanted to just flush the trans, add the Atf-4 and hope for positive results. the oil change shop around the corner gave me a price of 175 and they still need to see the pan. is this a fair price????? sorry to sound so needy, but i have been leasing Suv's for the past 10 years and i'm not up on the cost of repairs and maintanence.
    hadin-
    Well, it's 23 degrees here and windy. Probably get snow tonight. I was going to change the oil on my daughter's car yesterday, but it rained most of the day. Not sure which is worse.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Dusty
    The Dodge dealers around here (Western New York State) get $169 on special for a filter replacement with approximately six quarts of ATF+4.

The local shops are getting between $219-249 for a full flush with ATF+4.That's without pulling the pan off and replacing the transmission filter.

The price you were quoted scares me a little. Some shops will use Dexron-Mercon straight, or Dexron-Mercon with an additive that they say makes it ATF+3 or 4 compatible. Whatever you do, please insist that they use ATF+3 or ATF+4. Dexron-Mercon will ruin a Chrysler-built transmission.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    just kidding man i have a full size garage with all kinds of goodies and 3 tool boxes in it just trying to get a little help on this thing i do mostly older dodges and plymouths have a 69 charger doing right now
    took it to the local dealer to get trans trouble shot but they burnt the brakes up then wanted me to let them put complete brake setup on for 600.00 before they could fix trans.then took it to a guy that guaranteed me that he would find the problem .800.00 dollars later problem is still there .high gear and over drive is a hard shift and bad fuel milage .it has to be linked together .the guy said it showed a code of 0748 when it was shifting into overdrive so i thought i would start with that and a fluid and filter change while i was in there
    I checked the numerous vacuum lines under the hood and all "looks" well. This 89 predates the Fuel Injection era and surely does have a lot of components and vacuum lines. In any event, here's the latest in the continuing saga. I test drove it a couple of miles shifting in and out of 4wd. Well I received a big surprise when all four wheels decided to "lockup". While it didn't skid, it did come to a "torc converter lock up engine stall". Upon restart, I limped home with a few thousand feet forward followed by a freewheeling with no coupling between engine and transmission. My bet is torc converter relay or controls. More suggestions are welcomed! BTW, I can pick up a shop manual from ebay for the 1988 4wd Dakota. Is there any major differences between my '89 and the older '88?

TIA
    macshasta
    You do have fuel injection. Its a throttlebody or dual-injector, manifold injection. The thing on top of the motor that looks like it might be a carburetor is the throttlebody. An '88 manual would be pretty close, I suspect.

I'm assuming that slipping the transmission allowed you to coast freely. If so, it could be a number of things, but I don't think its the torque converter. Based on your description, I'm afraid this transmission will have to come down and repaired.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Even though it's bad news; thanks again, Dusty. I really appreciate your input.

So, now all I have to do is figure a way to get you to come to Mt. Shasta, CA so YOU can fix it for me. Not to worry about the single digit temperatures and constant snow fall...

Seriously, I'll let you know how this sucker unfolds and what the culprit turns out to be. I've already ordered the ebay shop manual so I can follow along when the shop gives me the play plan.

Later...
    macshasta
    Mac,

I'm use to single digit temps and snow, although right now in Rochester, New York it's 30 degrees, but the forecast for tomorrow is much lower.

Please keep us posted on what it takes to get your truck running.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • dbardbar Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 dakota speedometer has been jumping up and down on speed. for instance i can be going about 20mph and it will register anywhere from 20 to 100 mph back and forth.now the transmission will shift erratically at times and sometimes stalling the motor.i have allready taken it to a mechanic and he put a speed sensor on the transmission and this didn't help.
    its worse when it's cold outside.
    also i had someone from work tell me that dodge autotrans has a check valve in the cooling line next to radiator and he advised me to to eliminate this and run a strait line in its place.has anyone else herd of this?
    "also i had someone from work tell me that dodge autotrans has a check valve in the cooling line next to radiator and he advised me to to eliminate this and run a strait line in its place.has anyone else herd of this?"

All Chrysler-built transmissions from the early eighties up have what's called a Anti-drainback valve in the system. This prevents the draining of the torque converter of fluid during long cool-down periods, such as overnight. Draining of the torque converter causes internal fluid loss and makes repriming of the torque converter problematic at start ups. This usually manifests itself as a lag before engagement after the transmission is placed into gear. Over time this can cause damage.

The anti-drainback valve is found either in the return cooling line or at the outlet port on the vehicle radiator. As transmission fluid becomes oxidized and contaminated with friction material silt and other particles, these anti-drainback valves are susceptible to becoming clogged. This can cause a partial or complete pressure loss resulting in lack of lubrication to the transmission's internal parts and eventually lead to various component failures.

Removing the anti-drainback valve from the system eliminates a potential problem area, but it can also cause other problems long term. The way to manage this situation is regular routine transmission maintenance, which basically means replacing the transmission filter periodically and the subsequent 4-6 quarts of ATF. Depending on the severeness of duty, they should be changed at 50,000 miles, or for severe duty vehicles, 25,000 miles. Personally, I recommend changing the filters at 25,000 miles on all vehicles.

Complete fluid flushes are also recommended under certain conditions. On vehicles that have not had routine service, I would advise replacing the anti-drainback valves along with the routine service. In some cases the entire cooling lines must be replaced if they have a build-up of silt.

More to follow........................

Regards,
    Dusty
    "My dakota just started to delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd gears. The RPMs have to get to 2500-3000, the speedometer isn't working until the RPMs get to around 3000, then it shifts into 2nd gear and the speedometer starts working. No other shifting problems, no slipping. Brake light is on, ABS light and check engine light too.
    Any suggestions on what it needs? Speed sensor?"

After reading this post......my 99 dakota has the same check engine, brake, and ABS lite on. My speedometer does not work at all. And the trans won't shift past 3rd. (former post going,going gone) Could this be the same dio. for me too. "Rear Wheel Speed Sensor or corroded terminals at the sensor's connector." :sick:
    "i have already taken it to a mechanic and he put a speed sensor on the transmission and this didn't help. i have already taken it to a mechanic and he put a speed sensor on the transmission and this didn't help."

There are three types of speed sensors found on Chrysler-built trucks. There are front wheel speed sensors (one at each front wheel) that are for ABS brake operation and these electrical signals are sent to the ABS Control Module only. There are transmission speed sensors that measure the speed of the input shaft (545RFE) and the output shaft (42RE, 46RE, & 545RFE). These signals are sent to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The transmission speed sensors are not used for the speedometer.

The Rear Wheel Speed Sensor that is mounted in the rear differetial housing sends signals to the PCM and the ABS Control Module. This sensor is the source for speedometer operation. From your description, it sounds like your mechanic may have changed the wrong sensor. There was a component quality issue with earlier Rear Wheel Speed Sensors, and it has been a common source for your type of symptom and should not be an expensive repair. The sensor is mounted to the differential housing with one bolt and easily accessible.

Since the signal from the rear wheel sensor provides a signal for a number of computer operations, this could very well be the source of the shifting problem as well. On older vehicles it is also common that the terminals at the rear wheel speed sensor become corroded, so be sure to check this as well.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ashersashers Member Posts: 1
    so i am going to pick up a 1997 dodge dakota. it belonged to my father and has ben sitting for about a year now. it needs oil every time it is to be ran ( or at least did when it ran last ) and my dad described the enginge as being "loose". i am not quite sure what that means... what do i need to do the get it "run-worthy"?? what kind of fluids and gaskets or what not do i need to check to ensure a good two hour drive back home??

thanks toms!!

ashers
    Ashers,

A Dodge using motor oil, especially at a rate you describe, is very unusual. I suggest you inspect the engine for sources of a leak. Any two engine components that share a gasket are candidates for a leak, but because of the year I would first inspect the front and rear intake manifold gaskets. The valve cover gaskets would be my next suspect. Beyond that, there are no commonly found leak points on either the 3.9 V6 or the 318 V8.

If this vehicle has sat dormant for a long period of time its possible you might have a rusted through oil pan. I once had a Chevy pick-up that experienced this...although it was a daily driver...but I have seen this on a few other trucks that realized long periods of non-operation.

If you can't find a leak, then the engine is probably consuming the oil. Again, extremely unusual for this to be caused by poor piston ring sealing, but if this engine had ever been overheated badly it could have seriously scored cylinder walls. What is more likely is hardened valve guide seals, especially if this is a low mileage truck at this age.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jt8manjt8man Member Posts: 5
    Hello Dusty,

I have a 2001 RT with 84k miles. It just started to have a problem getting into 2nd gear. Slow accel not as bad as hard accel where it revs really high and jumps, decel and it up shifts. Fluid level is good and clean. No other problems...Any suggestions before I take it to the shop??

Nick
    Well, I'm pretty sure you have a 46RE transmission in the R/T and based on your description you are experiencing flair.

Because of the age and miles and the time of year, here's my thoughts on possible causes in the order of probability:

*Low fluid level. Make sure you check fluid level with the engine at full operating temperature, the vehicle on a flat, level surface, and the transmission in neutral.

*Fluid level too high. Check for signs of bubbles (foaming) on the dipstick.

*Transmission Throttle Position Lever sticking or binding, the throttle position lever return spring missing or broken, throttle linkage sticking/binding or out of adjustment. This is a very common problem on Mopars.

*Low hydraulic pressure. This can be caused by a number of things, such as low fluid level, a partially clogged transmission filter or cooler lines, worn pump, a dirty or otherwise defective governor pressure valve, dirty/warped valve body, leaky internal seals or servos, etc.

*Worn or slipping rear clutch, sticking rear clutch servo.

I would recommend a Dodge technician check this out with a DRB3 scan tool first. There could be a defective Governor Pressure Sensor causing a false signal to the PCM. I'm not trying to make arbitrary conclusions here, but because you stated that even under light acceleration there is some flair, and the fact that this is an R/T, I am thinking this could be a rear clutch problem, especially if you've driven this vehicle hard and have not performed periodic transmission maintenance. However, 46REs are often thought to be in serious trouble when in fact the Throttle Position Lever is not working correctly, as noted above. For that matter, a lot of RE series problems are solved just be cleaning or replacing the valve body. A qualified and forthright Dodge technician is your best bet at this point, I think.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I keep forgetting to include the anti-drainback valve as a possibility:

*Low hydraulic pressure. This can be caused by a number of things, such as low fluid level, a partially clogged transmission filter, cooler lines or anti-drainback valve, a worn pump, a dirty or otherwise defective governor pressure valve, dirty/warped valve body, leaky internal seals or servos, etc.

Dusty
  • jt8manjt8man Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Dusty...Where would I find the Anti-drian back valve and the Throttle position sensor?

NT
    NT,

The Throttle Position Sensor is mounted to the left side of the throttlebody at a position in-plane to the end of the throttle shaft. There are three wires going to the sensor and two Torx screws are used to secure the sensor to the throttlebody that are easily removed.

On 42 & 46RE transmissions, the Anti-drainback Valve is located in the transmission cooler outlet line near the radiator. On 545RFEs the anti-drainback valve is internal, however, Chrysler uses a small filter ahead of it to prevent the valve from becoming clogged.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    After reading all of the appends about automatic xmissions... I am very glad that I saved $872 and just orderd the manual xmission. Plus, the automatic xmission needs to have frequent fluid/filter changes just to keep it going.

I never had one lick of trouble with manual xmission and it shifts just fine every time I push the lever to another position. The way I figure it... I got about a year of free fuel AND no xmission problems. :D
  • KarlHeiKarlHei Member Posts: 3
    Grew up working on VWs Porches and lately GM. What I know of Son's Dodge got mostly from Internet so be gentle please.

1996 Dakota 3.9L 4WD LT235R15 tires on stock wheels. 75K miles. About 20% of the time on takeoff with more than the gentlest push on gas pedal, we get a very pronounced chatter, feels like a manual tranni clutch chatter or wheel hop. This will make your eyeballs dance. Backing off gas and the chatter stops. Have NOT tried to either floor it or leave gas down after chatter starts for fear of breaking something worse. Engine mounts seem OK in that revving in driveway, the engine moves maybe 1/4 inch. Shocks/springs seem OK as there in no lean and bouncing on the bumper gives one little bounce. I ran alongside the truck while Son drove looking for wheel hop, axle twist etc. Saw none, however, rear of transmission shook vertically about 1 inch, so replaced rear transmission mount. No effective change in the chatter. Seems to be a slight moan for about 2 seconds after chatter ends. Other than this, there are no issues with transmission operation at higher speeds or other gears. Previous owner is a friend, just drove to work and back, nothing exciting. All maintenance except tire changes was done at dealer. ATF looks/smells ok and is at the right level. Rubbing some between fingers feels more ‘grabbing’ than dexron/mercon, so that and dealer maintenance, I assume it is ATF+4. Planning on a drain and flush soon based on owners manual recommendations. Been reading past comments for last few weeks, saw nothing that seemed to fit, however any redirects to other posts will be gratefully accepted. Any/all comments and advice will be appreciated.

Vr Karl
  • dustyndustyn Member Posts: 2
    I think I need to add transmission fluid to a manual transmission 1997 3.9L Dodge Dakota. The only problem is, I don't know where the mythical fill plug that the manual talks about actually is, other than the highly descriptive phrase "the side of the transmission." Does anyone have a diagram, or a better description for the location of this fill plug? Maybe the size of the wrench necessary to remove it? Thanks for your help.
    Sorry, I cannot truly help as I have only seen one automatic. Start with figuring out what tranni you have; should be in your paperwork if you still have it or might could figure it out from the VIN. Quick Google shows you likely have either a standard duty 5 speed called a NV4500 or a medium duty 5 speed called NV3500.

Google also says:

"DRAIN AND FILL PLUG LOCATIONS
    The NV3500 fill and drain plugs are both located in the front housing. The fill plug is at the passenger side of the housing. The drain plug is at the bottom of the housing. "

Also found a pic at http://nv4500transmissions.com/parts-diagrams/case-assembly.htm

The home page is http://nv4500transmissions.com/general-information/index.htm This site has a lot of info on both trannies.

Note you want to put in transmission OIL not FLUID these are TOTALLY different animals.

Note that you will likely have to pump the oil up to the fill hole.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    vr Karl
    I HIGHLY recommend that you put in RedLine MTL for fluid. It is perhaps the very best xmission fluid available on the planet. You will NEVER EVER have to change it again!

I replaced the factory-fill with MTL after the 1st year of purchasing my Dakota new. The shifting was immeaditly better even when ambient temparture was well below 0F.

As for your question about the fill plug.... as mentioned above, it should be pretty obvious on the side of the xmission case. There is nothing else there but metal.

According to my factory shop manual, There were 2 manual xmissions used in Dakota (NV1500 and NV3500) The drain plug on BOTH of these is NOT a WRENCH. Instead it is an inverted drive. (sticks IN....not out!) The NV1500 used SQUARE drive and the NV3500 uses HEX drive.

Just fill it up till fluid starts to ooze out of the fill hole. Approxamate capacities can be found on the internet. Just search for NV3500 and you will get 100s of hits.

BTW: The NV3500 was also installed in 1000s of Chevrolet trucks too.
  • dustyndustyn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I think I got it topped off.
    Actually, in 1996 Chrysler was using ATF+3. It is probable that if the transmission was maintenanced at a Chrysler-Dodge dealer they used ATF+3 up to about 2000. After that they likely used ATF+4. If the vehicle was maintenanced at somewhere other than a Chrysler-Dodge dealership, I would be very suspicious that Dexron-Mercon was used. With only about 4-5 quarts needed at a transmission filter change, many, if not most, independents used Dexron-Mercon. The ones I know did.

Anyway, at first blush this sounds like a real bad case of torque converter chatter, but I would suspect you'd be getting some unusual noise along with it. Personally, I've never seen converter chatter that bad. I'm thinking this might be a problem in the clutch packs, or maybe a locked band or something. I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice on this one. A trip to a repair place is in order here, I think.

If/when you get this fixed, stop back and let us know what resolved the problem.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I would add to make sure the vehicle is on a level surface before filling.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty:
    Going to change fluid/filter next, so we will see what happens. Thinking out loud, wonder if the transfer case could be guilty? Will change fluid there also. Should check shift linkage as well

My confusion with TC clutch is, why would it even be in the loop at 0-5 MPH? If it is not trying to engage, why would it chatter? Same goes for all clutches, none of them are doing anything. So, after going down this path, I think I have a clutch pack chatter while slipping due to wrong fluid, low pressure, varnish etc. etc. etc.

Thanks
    Karl
    Well, the Torque Converter Clutch can lock-up and stay in this position, although this usually is accompanied by very harsh gear engagements and sometimes produces engine stall. The torque converter (TC) could contain an internal mechanical problem, such as loose or bent impeller or turbine blade(s), bad stator, etc., that can cause an imbalance or irratic fluid coupling that would feel like chatter or shutter.

My suspicion, based only on the description without any other data, is the problem may be more related to clutch and band application. Could this be the result of expended or incorrect ATF? Yes. The symptoms you describe, although at the unusual end of severity, is common for all automatic transmission, including those from Ford and GM. In the past when I've been involved in a case where Dexron-Mercon was used in a Chrysler-built tranny, a common symptom was often described as "torque converter chatter/shutter." But not always.

Is it worth trying to replace the fluid? Well, like most things there's a risk that a full fluid and filter change may not resolve the issue. ATF+3 or 4 is more than double the cost of Dexron (which is why a lot of shops use Dexron with a generic "friction modifier" instead of the real stuff). Is it worth any attempt to gamble that this will fix the problem and avoid a tranny shop? That is something only you can decide.

My personal recommendation is to have a certified Dodge transmission technician check this out for you. His knowledge and specific experience with this transmission will, in my opinion, be invaluable, and possibly lower the total cost to you.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • headcheeseheadcheese Member Posts: 1
    I would like to find out how to prevent my transmission from not shifting to overdrive when the temperature is below -20 celsius. Can someone tell me were this temperature sensor is and can it be relocated to a warmer location in the motor compartment? It has been below -20 for the last 6 weeks and I would like to drive my truck.
    I know the temp sensor on my 2000 Dak is under the battery.

Do not forget that the signal from this sensor is used for MANY things besides shift-points on the automatic xmission.

Some of the things which are tweaked based on ambient temp
    *) Engine starting sequencing and settings
    *) Charging voltage
    *) Idle speed
    *) fuel injection timing and amount
    *) spark ignition timing
    *) Shifting of xmission (automatic only)
    *) Emmissions equipment settings (EGR, EVAP...etc)
    *) Fuel pressure
    *) AirConditionor clutch. (will not enguage below specific temp.)

Given the above facts, you may wish to reconsider relocationg the ambient temp sensor. Perhaps you need to better understand the PROBLEM you are having and work twards resolving that instead of relocating the ambient temp sensor.
    If you have a Dodge Dakota built after 1996, you can defeature the overdrive anytime by switching the OD off with the OD switch. The OD switch is a push button that is located at the end of the gearshift.

The temperature sensor for Chrysler automatic transmissions are located inside the transmission and measure the temperature of the transmission fluid. On RE series transmission the temperature sensor is integral with the Govenor Pressure Sensor that is attached to the valve body.

On RFE transmissions the transmission temperature sensor is part of the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) that is attached to the transmission solenoid assembly.

In general, Chrysler truck transmission (REs, RFEs) are designed to have no overdrive under 40 degrees F, and no torque converter lock up under 80 degrees F fluid temperature.

Regards,
    Dusty