Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Transmission Problems

Comments

• lnizzle4lnizzle4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey man i just bought a 96 dakota with a v8 automatic. its runs great 4 wheel drive works it just doesnt go in reverse. Is there anything i can check out before i pull the tranny to rebuild it? Thanks
  • bill228bill228 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1999 Dakota. Reverse only works with very little throttle. Put but it in 4low you give it all the throttle you want. Any ideas??
  • macreedmacreed Member Posts: 2
    did anybody find the fix for this....
  • macreedmacreed Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 dodge dakota quad cab with the 4.7 V8 and 2WD. Lately the engine refuses to start on occasion. The transmission selector on the dash will only light the circle aroun the R,D,1 and 2. It is like it will not recognize Park and Neutral, even though the shifter moves into all positions. Usually after I let it sit about 20 minutes it will start and register shift positions with no problem. Sometimes when it acts up, i can shake the linkage and it will start. Also, it seems to do this when the truck is warmed up(after running about 20 minutes)and you turn it off.
  • 65forever65forever Member Posts: 1
    Hi-My son-in-law gave my son a Dakota with 79,000 miles on it.He replaced the transmission a few months before giving it to him.What would cause it to not go into overdrive?The button on the dash lights up but it doesnt activate.Any help is greatly appreciated!Steve :)
  • taterchipoktaterchipok Member Posts: 1
    my automatic tranny acts like it has no 2nd gear if you manualy shift it, but when you put it drive and take off normal it seems to shift all gears. then again if you get on it pretty hard it revs out and will not up shift out of first.
    any help would be greatly appreciated. :P
  • super23super23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dakota 4.7L manual. I put a new clutch in it about 9 months ago. I recently have been having problems getting it into gear. I thought it was the master/slave unit so i replace it but it didn't fix the problem. When it is cold it shifts just fine but when it warms up it wont go into gear. I can power shift but not clutch shift. Can you provide any info help?
  • postellncshppostellncshp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dakota with 88K miles on it. It is a 5.2L 4x4 with an auto trans. It is a second car and doesn't get driven much. I drove it today and the transmission would not upshift past second gear. No problems up till now. I've put 15-20K on it since I've owned it and have not had the trans serviced. Any suggestions?
  • daniel04daniel04 Member Posts: 1
    I need help. When I bought the truck a few months ago I noticed that it shifted kinda hard. Now, after driving it daily it's gotten worse. It seems to slip or pulse while driving, and it still shifts hard. With the cruise control on and going up a incline the truck shifts so hard it feels like its coming apart. There is no rpm loss when the truck pulses. Any help would be great.
  • rbentsenrbentsen Member Posts: 6
    Automatic trans hard shifts in reverse only. For example, when I shift from Park to Reverse, or Neutral to Reverse, it "bangs" into gear, and I can hear the driveshaft ring. Shifting into Drive is fine. The guy who changed my oil said it was the transfer case. I thought the transfer case only engages/disengages the front wheel drive? I don't see how this is possible. Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
  • davem33davem33 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 dakota 4x4 w/4.7 auto & OD gets the CEL, and gives codes 0720 & 0715, but when all is checked, the sensors are all good, so I expect a short in the harness between the TCM and Input/Output sensors. Dodge has now charged me over $800 and cannot seem to "find" the real problem. This failure results in no shifting out of 1st at all when in drive, with OD on or off, but I can limp along in second just fine as long as I don't go over 40 mph. Funny, but there are a series of "speed bumps" on one particular road that I can drive over that somehow temporarily fixes the short and allows the signals to get through and all shifts well for a while. I never know when the short will reappear. HELP!
    I have a '99 Dakota 4X4 with a 3.9L and automatic trans. My truck would not shift past 2nd. The "check engine" light was also on. I ran a diagnostic test at the local parts store (it was free) to see what the fault code was. P0753 stated that it was related to "Shift Solenoid A". I replaced it. The trans fluid was filthy, so I changed it as well as the filter. To my dismay, the problem reoccured a week or so later. I found that the 8-pin electrical plug (that supplies power to the shift sensors) had a broken tab, so the connector could not stay fully seated. This is a problem because the tranny fluid has enough pressure to push fluid thru the pins and create a bad connection. Once I replaced the plug so the connector could fully seat, the problem went away.
  • sfdrescue21sfdrescue21 Member Posts: 1
    I have this EXACT same problem and also replaced the TPS with no relief. Please let me know what you hear from dodge. I am axiously awaiting the response
    It could actually be a bad shift solenoid A. I would start by removing the 8-pin connector from the driver side of the transmission. Stick a Q-tip into the female end of the plug (mounted on transmission) and see if it comes out soaked with tranny fluid. If so, spray it out with contact cleaner and do the same with the plug. Make sure the plug fully seats and locks in place. If this cures the problem, even temporarily, the shift solenoid is probably OK, but you should replace the male and female connectors.
  • kdaug789kdaug789 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1999 Dakota, 6cyl, 4x4, man trans.

It makes a whine in 1, 2, and 3 gears. When I push in the clutch it go's away.
    When I am at a stop, put it in neutral the whine is back, after I let off the clutch.
    I was wondering if it is my clutch, and throw-out bearing, or if it is my transmission going out. I want to get some input before I tear it apart. Only want to do it once.

Thanks
  • chaskilchaskil Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    First time poster, long time lurker. I"ve got a issue with my '01 Dak 4x4 and am hoping for a little help here gents so here goes...
    Pooched reverse in the 42re and initial findings after dropping the pan and screen showed good fluid, no shavings, minimal material on the magnet (looked like a3/32 covering of fine "never seize") but I did find what appears to be part of of the (I'm guessing a bit here) the direct clutch waved ring. All forward gears and TC work well however no reverse and no engine braking in 1st gear manual, pointing to low/reverse-band/servo failure.
    Long story short guys, tranny has 150k on it and I've found a low mileage 2wd 42re for short money. Is a housing/tail shaft swap with my 4x4 setup as doner feasible IE a simple swap out or does it require a internal tranny break down. Thanks for any insight.
    Charlie
  • pedmpedm Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 3.9L, automatic. It is showing 2 codes, 0743 (torque converter) and 0753 (shift solenoid). The trans will only operate in 2nd and 3rd. I cleared the codes and the 0743 went away but not the 0753 (shift solenoid). I also tried to clean the plug on the transmission, but the only one I could find had only three wires ( if I remember correctly) and was right where the shifter cable went in the tranny. It looks like the previous owner may have put a used PCM in it, since it has a partsyard type of handwritten number on it. At any rate, I am trying to pinpoint the problem without having to replace everything. I am a fairly good mechanic. Can anyone give me some good advice where to start? This is my first Dodge in a long time. Ironically, the last one I had (a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4) had erratic shifting in the tranny the whole time I had it, so I sold it). But I like this little Dakota an awful lot.
    Please help.
    Thanks
    Paul
    I replaced shift solenoid B, but it did not help (code 0753). It turned out the 8-pin electrical connector (on the transmisson) had the locking tab broken off, so the plug could not fully seat and seal the plug. This allowed the pressure from the transmission to push fluid up around and past the pins inside the connector resulting in a bad electrical connection. After the plug was replaced, I never had another problem. That was over two years ago. My '99 Dakota is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
    Can you tell me the exact location of the electrical connection on the transmission you are speaking of. The only one I could see was on the driver's side and was a three wire ( I think) connection). Right above it was what looked like the shifter cable.
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • bhyman1bhyman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

I have a 4x4 1989 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. Recently, I have been experiencing a loud whizzing/vibration noise around my transfer case which only occurs from 60mph and up. The engine and transmission both seem to be running fine, but I was just concerned about the noise from the transfer case.

Just as an added note, when I move the transfer shifter up just a tad at the 2WD position, the noise becomes higher pitched.

Thanks
    You are probably referring to the shaft speed sensor, which will cause the speedo to go out if it is defective.The connector I am referring to is on the driver's side toward the front of the transmission. It is a round plug with 8 pins inside. It is not easy to get to. That is why I had a transmission shop change the connector once I found out where the problem was. They actually cut the male portion of the plug and used butt-splices to wire in the new plug. The Chilton manual shows 9 wires going from the PCM to the transmission, so I know there is more than just 3.
  • rpw4rpw4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just replaced the front and rear seals along with filter and fluid. The transmission has 75,000 miles on it. It worked fine before changing these items. Now it does not upshift to 3-4 or lockup unless I turn the OD off and then back on. Any suggestions?
  • caseylycaseyly Member Posts: 1
    My Dakota has a trouble code from the auto trans P0987 4C Hydraulic Pressure Test Failure. I can't find anyone who can tell me anything about it. Caseyly
  • tbizzletbizzle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7 liter V8 4x4 and I just pulled into a parking lot and immediately started to hear a clinking of sorts and it sounded like it was coming from the transfer case area. I checked the stick shift for the four wheel and it was loose as if it wasn't engaging at all. I put in the place that it should be and the noise stopped, but the stick didn't "lock" in place. Any ideas what it could be? Is there a clip or something could have come loose?
  • tbizzletbizzle Member Posts: 2
    I had a chance to get under there today and saw that the shift linkage is detached. It looked like where it should attach is broken or there is a ring missing or both. My Haynes manual tells how to adjust the linkage but doesn't provide any pictures, so I'm not sure if all parts are there or not.
  • stevegoodchildstevegoodchild Member Posts: 1
    My newly acquired 2000 Dakota Quad Cab has a minor slippage occurring when seated in the drivers seat. When you brake at a light the seat shifts forward about an inch. Any ideas on repairing this. I understand this happens alot on these vehicles. Thank you ;)
  • travis1488travis1488 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1992 dodge dakota LE 4x4 ext.cab automatic trans it drives forward fine,but will not go in reverce. You try to put it in reverce and it goes in drive.Even when you put it in nutrule it still will not go backwards its like its lock up for reverce can anybody :mad: help????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????- - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????- - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????- - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????- - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????- - ??????????????
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Not sure the transmission discussion would be the most helpful ;) look through the Dodge Dakota Interior Issues discussion and see if others may have solved this issue.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • hfcudahfcuda Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005(75300 miles) dakota 3.7 with automatic trans. after driving one and a half hour, most of the time the car display the red thermometer check light. at this time the transmission stop upshifting so the RPM goes up to 5000 when running 60mph. the dealer replace an electronic module in the transmission that last for a day and said that the tranny needs a new torque converter and new seals that will cost $2700. that is the reason why i am looking for another transmission.
    Thanks Rbentsen,

I did find the 8 pin plug on my 2000 Dakota and sure enough it had fluid in it. I tried to clean it out and plugged it back in but still got the solenoid code. The Dodge mechanic said it was definitely an electrical issue and 9 times out 10 it is the solenoid. But do you think I should replace the plug first?
    Thanks,
    Paul
  • dmack88dmack88 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry to but in here however I have been following this thread to solve a problem on my truck. I think my problem might me the transmission control module. My symptoms are similar but it's more of "after driving on the highway I slow down then go back to high speeds it's stuck in 3rd. Won't shift into overdrive till I stop, shut off the engine, then restart. (Reboot the control module?)

Is this difficult to reprogram or replace?

You sure seem to know your dodge transmissions.
  • vampire101vampire101 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a bit of a problem with the manual transmission on my Dakota. Sometimes it is Difficult to shift into first gear and out of third. The clutch is also making a little noise when engaging into any gear. Any Ideas???
  • watsonl6251watsonl6251 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all - first post. Couple weeks ago my 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4WD, v8, auth started having difficulty shifting 2nd to 3rd. This happens only occasionally, some days not at all, some days a number of times throughout the day. Symptoms are you're in 2nd gear for what sometimes seems like a fraction too long, then a hard, sudden, jolting shift to 3rd. Took it into the local tranny shop, and they suspected a line sensor problem. They were 'pretty certain' that was it, but no guarantees. 3 days later, and $175 poorer, no joy. Took it back in, and now they are saying it might be the 'EPC Solenoid'. This is a $550+ part, installed. They could only give me a 50% assurance this was the problem, so naturally I declined the repair. Codes encountered are: P0932 - line pressure sensor, and P0869 - line pressure high fault. They measure the line pressure and it was around 160. Apparently normal load pressure is maybe 60. Right now I'm looking for 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions on this. 50% is not much assurance that the near $600 is going to be well-spent, and I really don't want to get into the position of having spent nearly $800 and still having the problem. My 2nd question is - is this part, assuming I would replace it - something a guy could R&R (if they had the part) - or does this need to be done by a shop?
    Thanks!
    You will have to go back to message 618 or so but some of those around there might be of help to you. There seem to be two things that you don't mention. The TPS (throttle position sensor) and the connector for solenoid A. Please check those earlier posts. Also I know some mechanics hate to have anyone add anything that says it stops leaks, but the Lucas oil transmission additive helps hard shifting. I got a bottle and it has helped a lot. It's only about $12 to $15 depending on where you get it.
  • jer7robjer7rob Member Posts: 3
    My Truck was driving fine yesterday with no problems at all. I took it to a friends house last night and it was fine. When I left his house last night my check engine light came on as soon as I started my truck. I noticed that my truck seemed sluggish. I drove it anyway. When I had to come to a stop and then start again it seemed "okay" from 1st to 2nd but the transmission slipped from 2nd to 3rd. It did this all the way home (15 miles). It would slip and the engine would rev until it finally caught again and shifted to 3rd.

Today I took it out and drove it around 5-6 miles to get it hot to check the fluid. It wasn't slipping at all today but was very sluggish (especially when first starting) It seemed like it took forever to get up to speed. I took it to advance auto and got the code that it was throwing.

1762 The Governor Pressure Sensor input was too high or too low for 3
    consecutive park/neutral calibrations.

I've had trouble with it before down shifting when the slightest bit of extra throttle was applied and when using the cruise control. I adjusted the throttle position cable going to the tranny and it worked fine after that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • pbell26pbell26 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 dakota with a 5.2 and automatic. I just bought it and the trans had just been rebuilt but the guy still had problems with it. I got it home and the throttle valve cable wasn't connected. So I put a new cable on it and changed the trans fluid because it looked dirty. Now it shifts fine but when you come to a stop it will not shift back into 1st by itself. You can do it manually but it won't do it by itself. Any help would be appreciated.
    Check this out! Now my truck will not shift out of 1st gear....when it shifts into 2nd it just slips.....and almost acts like it is in neutral....

Thank you for any suggestions....
  • pbell26pbell26 Member Posts: 2
    Also will a 46rh out of a dodge ram fit in a dakota with a 46rh.
  • zyta88zyta88 Member Posts: 2
  • zyta88zyta88 Member Posts: 2
    2002 dodge dakota with 4.7 auto. Just recently the torque converter has started to unlock and lock once the truck is warmed up and driving at a smooth crusing speed. The tack will jump from about 1800 to 1900 . I have found lots of people with the excat same simptoms, but have not found any answers. Can someone help? Thanks.
  • cmitter99cmitter99 Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 3.7L V6 just started doing something similar. The transmission light just came on and after some drive time the temp light comes on. I took it to AAMCO and they said that there were 5 different codes coming up and that it would probably cost about 1800 to fix. I was just wondering what you came up with because I have no idea what I am ging to do.
  • cmitter99cmitter99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 Dak quad cab 3.7L V6 automatic. I purchased it with about 20,000 miles. I now have 39,000 miles on it now and of course there is something wrong. When I first purchased the truck I noticed that it had some power issues. It didn't seem like it was running correctly at all. It had no power. Now, the check engine light is on and after a few miles of driving the temp light comes on. I took it to AAMCO and they said that 5 different codes were coming up and more than likely I need to replace the transmission. It doesn't feel like the transmission is slipping although I do see some hesitation with it going into gear when I first start it up. AAMCO wants to charge about $1,800 and I was wondering if there is something else I could try first. I mean, I don't abuse the thing at all! I run it pretty slow and I never mistreat the thing. i drive it to work and back on the interstate about 30 min a day..

Please Help!!!!!!!!
    I checked with a repair place on the assumption that my problem is the TCM. They said that you would have to go to the dealer as they didn't think anyone else would have the flash drive to program the new TCM. The dealer said it would be $150 to install and program the new TCM. However when I asked about how much it costs they laughed because it's more than a good lap top. $880 Just for the TCM plus the $150 to install and program it. So no these problems aren't cheap. However your tranny should still be under warranty. It has less than 60,000.
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    That usually means that the forward clutch pack was slipping and got so hot it welded itself together and cant release.If this is the case it should feel like its binding up in reverse unless the rear band is cooked also.It will also lurch forward in park if this is the problem.If its not the forward clutch stuck then there is a problem with the linkage.
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    There are 3 solinoids in your transmission .A governor pressure solinoid a overdrive cancel solinoid and a lockup solinoid {TCC}.The only one that is considered a shift solinoid would be the overdrive cancel.That would explain why you have no 4th but has nothing to do with first.It seems from reading your post that you have no 1st gear
    "The trans will only operate in 2nd and 3rd".High gear starts usually is a bad governor pressure solinoid.No upshift from first is usually a governor pressure sensor.As far as changing the plug it comes as one piece with the internal wire harness and the overdrive cancel and TCC solinoid.It is not very hard to replace.First you drop the valve body.You may have to turn the drive shaft slightly to remove thr park pawl shaft{and to reinstall it}I have found its easier to leave the park rod on the valve body rather than try to mess with the E clip holding it on.Once the valve body is down you will need a 25 torx bit to remove the internal harness assembaly.
  • eddiej1949eddiej1949 Member Posts: 1
    03 6cyl. 4x4 trans doesn't shift to low all the time. happens on and off & it feels like its starting out in 2nd gear. trans fluid and filter were changed last week.
  • jmason13171jmason13171 Member Posts: 1
    last week my engine light came on and now it won't shift from 1st - 2nd and when it does it seems like it is slipping. what could be the problem?
    Turn your ignition switch on and off 3 times and on the 3rd leave it on. Look at your odometer and see what code it says is the reason your check engine light is on.

For me it was 1762 - Governor Pressure Sensor

I replaced the Governor Pressure Sensor and the Governor Pressure Solenoid when my truck was doing the same thing and it fixed it right up. Might as well replace the filter while you are in there and the filter comes with a new gasket. It is a rubber gasket so don't over tighten the bolts or you will have leaks. Just a little more than snug does the trick.

If you are going to replace the pressure sensor you should go ahead and relace the solenoid as well. From everything I have read they go out in pairs and it would stink to replace one and it really be the other that is giving you the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions about this because I just did it a week ago and it is still fresh in my head.
  • danicafan7danicafan7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 96 Dodge Dakota.

I have to increase the rpm's and then when they decrease it will go into gear. It's and automatic.

Should I have the trans fluid changed and refilled or what ?

thanks
  • maxxtwomaxxtwo Member Posts: 1
    iT APPEARS THAT THERE ARE NUMEROUS INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE WHO HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM. MYSELF INCLUDED. I CAN TELL YOU THAT DODGE ISSUED A TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE TSB 18-001-05 ON 1/5/2005. AT THE DEALER'S EXPENSE, THE TORQUE CONVERTOR WAS REPLACED AND RECOMMENDED FIX IN THE TSB WAS PERFORMED. UNFORTUNATELY FOR ME, THIS DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. THE DEALER (NON-DODGE) TOOK IT TO ANOTHER DODGE DEALER FOR A SECOND OPINION AND THEY SAID THERE'S NOTHING MORE THAT BE DONE AND IT'S AND I QUOTE "AN INHERENT TRAIT OF THE DAKOTAS". SOMEHOW I JUST DON'T BUT THAT ARGUEMENT. AT THIS POINT IN TIME I HAVE FILED FORMAL COMPLAINTS WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND THE CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY.