Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I'd bump off this automaker, if they didn't build the ________?

drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
I'll get the ball rolling. Here's an example.

An automaker you'd love to hate, but they make one (or two) cars (or trucks) you could totally see yourself owning.

I'd bump off Mitsubishi, if they didn't build Evo! They don't have anything else worth a spit.

The EvoX looks Killer! They better not pull a Lexus, doh, and forget to bring a big stick to the party!

Now you try.

DrFill

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Subaru if they didn't build the...build the...humm? I can't think of anything Subaru builds that I'd spend any pesos on at all, so where does that leave me according to your premise, drfill? :surprise:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    Subaru is a good example of this for me.

I would take their WRX-STI in a heartbeat.I also like their Outback Wagon. The rest of their cars don't excite me.

The closest car dealer to my house is a Subaru dealer and would like to buy one for the convenience, but they always loose out for some reason.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I'd bump off GM, although I like the GTO and the Saturn Sky. The rest of the lineup is an inconsistant waste of time...
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I'd bump off Toyota if they didn't make the Lexus LS430 - about the only Japanese car I'd seriously buy.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    No Hybrids. No SUVs. Not even a Corolla, as the car that would outlive you?

I dig the Outback. For a wagon, it's pretty cool. I think you can get a stick in there, with the best engine! Nice! :D

DrFill
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I'd do the 'Vette, and Sky.

DrFill
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I'd bump off this automaker, if they didn't build the Velite Roadster?

So it would be Buick. ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The only way I'd buy a hybrid is if the price for one was maybe $1K difference between it and the regular car. It would also have to be a much nice car than the uber-geeky Prius - the perfect car for propellerheads. The Lexus LS460h I heard about seems to be that car, but probably costs as much as the moon or maybe more.

Forget SUVs - I am never in the market for one no matter whose name is on it. You're as likely to see me in an Escalade or Tahoe as you are a LX470 or Land Cruiser. I am never in the market for anything like the Corolla either. The only people I see driving Corollas are 40-something secretaries.

If I want a car that will outlive me, I'd get what I always bought - a Cadillac or a Buick.
    I lemko am interested to see what GM does with the hybrid engines in Cadillac's and Buick's ;)

Rocky
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Lexus has always had just one car I've liked. First, the original SC 300/400. Then the IS 300. Now the IS 250 (less so than the IS 300 though).
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "Then the IS 300."

It was the hot sport sedan for a few years, wasn't it, until the WRX and EVO came along...

I'd bump off Mercury, but I'm willing to give it a stay of execution for a little while longer because of the Marauder and previously the new Cougar. Made me happy that Mercury at least *tried* to make something cool... :P
    I came up with one to fit Subaru. I'd bump off this automaker if they didn't build the Legacy Turbo 4-door sedan. Pretty decent and sporty good looks and the power of the turbo. Finally a Subaru I can give 2nd glances to.

A co-worker is offering her 2005 Legacy Turbo for sale in a nice shade of blue for $23,000. It has 27,000 miles on it. I'm still thinking Yaris sedan or Rio LX sedan, though.

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "I'd bump off this automaker if they didn't build the Legacy Turbo 4-door sedan."

I find it strange that you'd get so specific! Subaru's line is so much more homogenous than most automakers', I'm surprised people notice much of a difference between all of Subaru's models.

==

And john_324, yeah. The IS300 was great. Maybe not technically as good as a BMW, but it had the soul of a youthful tuner car and not a frumpy extension of a businessman's suit. Which is what the IS is now becoming. If only it could be a Toyota Altezza again...
    Turbo sedan's styling is just generic enough so that I am not turned off by Subaru's general lack of styling etiquette. They are some of the most homely cars I have ever seen built. No kidding.

The car I am thinking about is bigger and is dressed up with nice tires and wheels and other racing get-up so that I don't have a chance to nitpick it's body design(it's very sound IMO). I kind of like it even.

• chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    I have to be honest, I really like the entire Subaru lineup save the ghastly Tribeca. I guess I like their unassuming approach to offroading performance, and/or space performance, and/or, well, performance performance.

As for the original question, I'd probably go with Pontiac which the killer GTO saves, Chevy and the Corvette (and maybe the Malibu Maxx), or Dodge and their Charger which I like for some reason.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...Chevy if they didn't make the Corvette.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I think a lot of people feel that way. I suspect that many feel that way about GM period.

M
    GM will never discontinue the Corvette, just like I'm pretty darn sure Ford will never axe the Mustang. ;)

Rocky
    Yeah it is a good thing Ford saw the light on that one because in 1987-88 Ford came very close to getting rid of the Mustang in favor of the Probe. I had a Probe GT, fun car but it was totally different from the RWD Mustang. We see which one survived.

M
    And it's turned out to be a winner for Ford. The Mustang is not only a image car for Ford, but is truely an American icon. I'm glad GM is going to bring back the Camaro, and on spike TV's autorox car show, the crowd went nuts when they braught out the 09' Camaro, so it appears GM will have a true winner to restart the Pony car war. :shades:

I wished Dodge could find away to bring the Dodge Stealth, to make it even more interesting. :blush:

Rocky
    Yeah if GM stays in business long enough to bring the Camaro back and do it right they'll have a big hit. Even I would look at one of those.

Dodge will have the Challenger, the Stealh was a Japanese car-based model which they'd likely want you to forget, now.

M
    I honestly believe GM will be around for the next 80 years and will find away to be #1 ;)

Rocky
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    I honestly believe GM will be around for the next 80 years and will find away to be #1

I honestly believe GM will go bankrupt in 3 years and production will cease in 30 years. Maybe certain models can survive as a small business, but not the major part of it anyway.

Saying GM can come back and be #1 is like saying Al Gore will win the next presidential election.

Back to topic, I'd bump off BMW, had they not built the Z4.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The Miata.

Who needs rotary engines?

The S40 is a better Mazda3.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I'm with you I would bump off Mitsubishi, if they didn't build.... Oh lets be honest here I would bump off Mitsubishi period. Even the Evo looks goofy, if I had one I would crush it into a cube.

Other makes I would bump off are Kia, Scion, Volkswagen and Saturn.

I would bump off mercury if it wasn't for the Milan and Pontiac if it wasn't for the new G6 convertible.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Saying GM can come back and be #1 is like saying Al Gore will win the next presidential election.

Al Gore actually has a chance at being the democrat nomineee if Hillary doesn't run. So don't speak to soon. ;)

Rocky
    if they didn't build the new Dodge Caliber. Not a bad effort from Dodge although oversteer becomes an issue and it just doesn't hold tight in turns like some would want it to.

Also, a new rig from Dodge that I think is going to sell like hotcakes and I like it too is the new Challenger. It blows the Charger away IMO and will take a lot of guys back to the glorious muscle days quite well. Along with the new Ford Mustang and the concept Chevy Camaro that by all rights Chevrolet will definitely build.

DUH!

Not to get to far off topic but Vice Presidents rarely become President through an election.

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Not to stay off topic, but how about Thomas Jefferson and Richard Nixon. ;)

http://www.usatrivia.com/Vpstats.html
    How about them? Of over 40 men who have held the position of Veep only 5 of them made President by virtue of an election, and only two in over 150 years.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I KNOW there are a lot of interesting things that we COULD wander off into, but let's stick to the topics here.

Thanks!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    but I would have to say the following automakers would have to do this:

Mazda:

Where is the MazdaSpeed 3? Its been 3 years of the Mazda 3 being on the market but still no MazdaSpeed 3? think I a new MazdaSpeed 3 is due out soon but Mazda shouldn't have waited 3 years for the Mazda Speed 3 to come to the market.

Also, when the 6 grows in size for '08 gives us a coupe and give the 6 coupe its old name back: the MX-6.

Where is your sub-compact to compete with the Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, and future Honda Fit. If anybody could make a supcompact that is going to topple Honda and Toyota its Mazda. So where is your sub-compact in the US market?

Mitsubishi:

Why isn't the Galant GTS trim not AWD? Also gives an eclipse with AWD.

Honda:

where is your hybrid to compete with the Toyota Prius? A hybrid Civic is not going to do the trick. Honda needs a seperate car to be its hybrid model on its own like Toyota does with the Prius. I know Honda had a hybrid before with the Insight but it didn't do well but neither did the first generation Toyota Prius in the US. Honda should have bought a second generation Insight to the market and worked on the weak points of the first generation Insight like Toyota did with the first generation Prius.

Cadillac:

better interiors plastics in your cars please.

Ford:

bring back the Focus SVT for the young enthusiast
    whenever a new generation Focus is out.

Infinti:

where is your TSX, and S40 competitor?
    Speaking of BMW, here's an interesting article ;)

"We Need a Sporty Engine": BMW Celebrates M3's 20th Anniversary

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=114983

Rocky
    I would bump off BMW cars altogether (way to expensive for what you get) but keep their bikes going.

LOL, I do love the M3, even though it's $20K over-priced. ;)

Rocky
    Yeah I will agree that its about $20K overpriced. At what they are asking they should throw in a R 1200 to go along with it. ;)

I do like Bimmer Bikes, and they really aren't that expensive. ;)

Rocky
    Well actually I'm talking about the NEW M3 pal. Ya know the Sedan ;) BTW pick up a brochure on the new BMW 335 Coupe if ya get a chance and tell me how cool it's gonna be. ;)

Rocky *Drool* :D
    So do I, I will be looking at them this weekend.

Sorry can't do. The place I will be going to only sells the two wheel type.

This discussion has been closed.