Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Can you figure out something about the rattle problem in my dashboard:) I wish it was as easy as spraying foam.

But seriously... Do you hear something like wind blowing when you sit and listen or is it only when driving at 60pmh?

Interesting you placed a magnet, I wonder if it is some sort of electrical current creating a vibration and the magnet absorbs it out.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    1. the only dash rattle I found and fixed is the front vent pieces close to windshield. I squeezed some sponge into the little gap where dash and vent piece meets and no more rattle. Been three months and absolutely no rattle from the dash.

2. I don't think I can hear B-pillar strange sound when just sitting and listening. I can hear it either when driving, or open and close the front door but not the rear door.

3. Actually I tried both magnet and other stuff like some sponge scotch taped to B-pillar. All stuff, as long as it's not too small, can make the hollow soung go away. Therefore I don't think it's the current issue. I may use a long plastic piece and double sided tape to fix it.
    Unfortunately my dash noise isn't a simple fix, according to my dealer the heater core needs to be replaced and therefore the dash must be removed. An issue I'm debating while my warranty period remains.

Very strange about the B-pillar, I'll try listening myself and see if I can detect anyhting.
    Thanks for the link... it looks like we can match additional wood trim pieces to out existing interior. Although I'm happy with the way it looks now, I might consider some additional trims to add around the dash.

How easy is installation, do we just place the trim kit over the existing interior components or do they have to be removed first?

Also do you know if anyone has a wood trim kit for the shift lever handle, as I didn't see one on their site?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I have 2002 Pathfinder Le and I have been noticing this annoying noise from dash. Do you infinti owner have the same dash noise if not i might have to change the vechile.
  • qx4owner1qx4owner1 Member Posts: 12
    I have received my wood trim kit for my new QX4 few days ago and I have installed it in less then 1.5 hours. It is very easy to install and requires no tools (just goes over existing interior components. I love the way it looks on my car; I definitely recommend buying it and installing it your self (you will save $300).
    I don't see a kit for wood trim kit for the shift lever handle and I am not sure where it could be bought.
    When the noise occurs it sounds like a loud tick of a clock....In random intervals of 2-3 at a time. The way the mechanic explained it to me is that the engine sits on mounts that are liquid filled or something like that. During acceleration, bumps or anything that can cause the engine to move on the mounts... It draws the heater hoses in and out of the firewall and heater core. The noise I experience are the hoses rubbing against the heater core. The mechanic says a few other QX4s have had this problem so I would think it could be in the pathfinders as well since they have the same engine and heater elements.

If tying the hoses tighter at the firewall dosen't fix it, they said the only other thing to try is to remove the dash to replace the heater core element. Although I don't hear it all the time, when I do it is very annoying even with the radio playing.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    you're right, they said I have to remove the whole dash which i wasn't comfortable at all, so i decided to live with, other than that it's really a great car.
    Today I did foam spray again, into another B-pillar hole a little above where two interior trim pieces meet. I couldn't see how much I sprayed but just give it quite a few seconds. After a while, I knocked at B-pillar and the hollow sound is still there but definately last shorter. Also when I open the front door I almost hear no hollow sound.
    I found my 02 QX4 left side low beam is off. Compared to the right side, left side is lower and maybe too much to the left. Anybody knows where the adjustment is? I probably won't do it myself but still want to know where and how.

Thanks.
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    Don't fret; all is well. Cars come from the factory with your right-side beams adjusted upward for better visibility when driving down the roadway (particulary in residential zones where hazards are most likely to be encountered, such as vehicles backing out of driveways or pedestrians walking out into the roadway to enter their parked vehicles).

I'm supposing that the difference between your left & right sides is not that dramatic (as should be the case). However, if your right-side beam is lighting up the front doors of homes on your right, you may want to have your lighting system checked out by your Infiniti dealership...
    Hi 2963,
    You reminded me of the same thing I read a while back. It makes sense and yes, my left light is off but not by a lot. I have made an appointment with the dealer and I'll listen to what they'll say.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Took mine in for 15K checkup...$$$$...Nevertheless, asked same question, said "that's normal"...Lower left beam probably has something to do with not blasting the rear view mirror of car in front of you with the zeon lights...Again, that's the way they're aimed...
    Jack44 and 2963,
    Just read the Q45 headlight info from infiniti.com and one picture shows the "off alignment" pattern. BTW Jack, how much is it for a 15K service? TKS
    Bent over and gave them $250.00...But...Got to drive new I35 all day...That's one nice thing...They give you a loaner car...Didn't have a G35...Even apologized...
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Who here has had their tires rotated at the dealer? They wanted $40 to do it as part of the 7500 mile scheduled maintenance. I thought this was insane so I did it myself. They also don't include the spare in the rotation like I wanted to do. What do you guys do?
  • avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    Use that and the stock jack and do it yourself. I'll do yours for $38.00 and save you two bucks.
    ;-)
    I did do it myself.
  • avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    Does that mean I'm out the $38.00?

AH GESS MAH REEDING KOMPREEHENSHUN IZ A LITUL BAAD.

It is amazing how much people want to charge for some very minor work. You can save tons of money without having to be a mechanic.
    Once it's time to replace tire, we can get free lifetime tire rotation at most tire stores. I had my previous two car tires replaced at Price Costco and have free rotations every 7500 miles. Even if there is only one tire purchased I think they will do free rotation.
    Before the first replacement I'll rotate them myself.
    On my new QX4 the fuel empty light goes on when I reach 16.5 to 17 gallons, is it normal? The car total has 21 gallons; I would think it should go off when I get to 19.
    When mine comes on and I fill up, it usually takes 16-17 gallons. So I would think the light warning is normal at that level.
    I called the dealership and they told me that normal is 2-3 gallons for a light to go on. I guess on QX4 it goes on when 4 gallons left = to about 70 miles. I just have to get use to it.

Thanks crete for your input.
    So I come home from work the other day and I find a small thin scratch about 12inches long on the rear passenger door. It looks as if someone brushed up against the paint with a sharp point or something. Called my insurance and they will pay repairs so I took it to their recommended body shop. Had the work done leaving the truck there for four days. I picked it up tonight and just to repair the scratch was $865.00. Look at what they had to remove and reinstall just to fix the scratch in the middle of the door. Removed the door's rear quarter molding panel, the rear quarter fixed glass window, the side mirror on the Front door, the rear quarter side glass window, the rear molding strip, the rubber strip for the rear window molding.. then they had to blend the paint in from the rear quarter panel all the way up to the edge of the front door panel.

All in all they did a very nice job except for two things. They left lots of greasy finger marks on some of the leather seating and now the right side mirror adjustment is not working. Even though they cleaned up most of the greasy marks, I think I'll get some lexol cleaner for the whole interior. Plus I still have to return to have them check the mirror. Very annoying and fustrating, but one thing I found was that I really missed driving my QX4.
  • erk5erk5 Member Posts: 21
    I noticed that ride quality has worsen. Any of you with a '97 replace shocks and/or struts? How much did it cost? Did you go with OEM or aftermarket? And should I go through Infiniti or an auto shop?

I'm afraid of choosing the wrong shocks. I would like the original ride quality back. And should I replace everything (springs, bearings, mounts)?
  • erk5erk5 Member Posts: 21
    I was looking at previous posts, and noticed a service bulletin for the rear shocks only on 97s. It says that the rear bottoms out over bumps. Anyone know about this? Will they replace it for free?
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    Greetings -

I'm looking into upgrading my '01 I30t to a '03 QX4 2WD, and am wondering what your impressions are regarding the acceleration and braking characteristics of the '02 or '03 QX4.

I know it's an SUV, and that the acceleration & braking numbers posted in the auto magazines aren't really that impressive. However, there's a reason why the VQ-series engine is an award winner (and so widely used in both Nissan & Infiniti's line of popular vehicles), and the 227 hp version in my I30t is quite impressive. Incidentally, I was able to squeeze out a few extra ponies (and notice a slight performance boost) by installing a $45 K&N air filter, and I'm wondering if any of you have been able to do any slight modifications to enhance your engine performance as well.

I've always wondered why Infiniti has yet to introduce rear disc brakes on this $35K+ luxury SUV, and I'd appreciate any experiences you might have on this vehicle's braking abilities.

I'll be heading in to my local Infiniti dealership in the near future for a test drive in an '03 QX4. However, I know I won't be able to get away with "stomping" on the accelerator or "mashing" on the brake pedal (for fear of sending the sales rep. either through the windshield or into the back seat...).

Any comments from owners (particulary of the '02 model year with the 240hp engine upgrade) would be of assistance. Owner's forums such as these are a tremendously valuable source of information that manufacturer's brochures can never provide.

Thanks again.
    Hi 2963,
    I have 00 RX300 and 02 QX4 4WD. Before QX4 I had 96 Maxima. Of cause QX4 is slower than Maxima but I found it's quick and faster enough for me. Braking is very good. I had one occasion. A pedestrian walked accross a street in an non-crossing sign section. The car in front of me suddenly stopped. The road surface is sandy with maybe very small rocks in where I applied hard brake. My QX4 was fully under my control.

The only real thing I don't quite like is QX4 is noisier overall compared to RX300.
    I bought a 2002 in January and have put 13 K miles on it. With regards to acceleration, its not a car. It does have less power than a car but it is adequate. It has as much or more than any other SUV that I have driven. With regards to braking, it is also adequate. I hear that discs perform better but have never seen a head to head comparison. At least it doesn't put brake dust on the wheels. Feel free to ask me any specific you want.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The PF/QX4 has a shorter stopping distance than many competing SUV's with rear discs...it's pretty impressive.

Discs are less prone to fade, but rear drums last longer (before pad or caliper replacement), particularly under offroad or snow/slush/salt conditions. The front wheels kick up alot of junk onto the *exposed* rear discs. Trucks and SUVs are expected to see more of these sorts of conditions, so rear drums are still a consideration.
    I agree wholeheartedly what bigorange30 says...I've an '01, bought in July of '00...Still love it...Just remembering that 'it's a truck' is important...OK SUV...It's not a car...Also, see no real reason to buy a QX4 and not get 4WD...Resale alone will help...And if you'll never use 4WD I'm sure there are better choices...
    I have a 2002 QX4 4WD and I'm very satisfied with the engine power and smooth acceleration. The brakes also provide safe and adequate stopping power. I just wish I could get better gas mileage, I'm averaging 14 in the city.
    I was getting 14 mpg too until I switched to Mobil1 synthetic oil at 3300 miles. Since then, I have gotten 15.5 - 16 mpg. It really more than pays for itself especially since I can now go more than 7 k miles between oil changes.
  • charleychencharleychen Member Posts: 5
    I just brought a 2002 4WD recently and enjoy the vehicle quite a lot. I had a 4.4 X5 before it was stolen, so my comparison may seem a bit harsh. The QX4 doesn't ride as well as the X5, you will especially feel the higher center of gravity. The brakes while adequate doesn't give me much confidence, this may have to do with the tires which rides a bit rough. The tires also create some road noise. There is significant amount of wind noise at 75 MPH. The engine pulls strongly and tranny is pretty smooth, there is a slight pause between the 1st - 2nd gear switch, but it's not really noticeable unless you are turning. All of this may seem to pretty negative, but compared to other truck based and even some car based SUV, I like the QX4 better. The one thing that I think infiniti can do better and irks me is the interior. There are flashes of cheap plastics, especially around the window and door controls.
    So, is that a recommendation or not. If you dislike all of those things, why would you recommend it over other SUVs. You didn't mention anything positive that would support the fact that it is better than others.
    Thanks for the tip... I'm getting close to an oil change and will definitely give it a try. Is the dealer willing to put mobil 1 in or do I have to go to an independent oil changer? Also, what brand of gas are you using?
    Sorry to hear about your stolen X5, did you ever get it back? I'm not suprised you're saying this about the QX4 coming out of the X5. But then again you are looking at QX4 around $35K as compared to a (4.4i) X5 around $55K.

I agree that some of the interior buttons, knobs, handles, etc. are of lesser quality and plastics.
    I think the QX4 inherited these from the Nissan Pathfinder. However I think Infiniti did a good job blending them in and making it less noticeable of their inferior quality.

BTW, I heard BMW X5's have had many problems with their door handles peeling, true? Some owners have gone through two sets of handles.
    I supply the oil and the filter and he charges me $16 for the labor. I think that is with some coupon that he had while I was there because the 2nd time I was surprised that it was a little higher. It was in the low $20s as I recall. I usually use Citgo 92 octane gas since that station usually has the cheapest gas in my area. I also put a K&N filter on it. I was dissapointed that the K&N did no improve the mpg.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's hard to compare before and after with all the variables to contend with, but it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if you'd put the OEM filter back on for a couple thousand miles and compare the mpg numbers.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    that if it didn't change the mpg when I put it on that it would change if when I take it off?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe your SUV is broken in more now? Maybe the aftermarket one isn't as good as the OEM one for your make? Maybe you'll wipe off any oil on the MAP sensor if you switch it out?

Just curious, since we never seem to have any reports from people who go back to OEM.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Like I said, these were my observations coming from an X5 and it may seems harsh. But, I am recommending it if you are looking for a semi-luxury vehicle around the $35K range. I like it better than the RX300, Highlander, 4Runner and the ML Series. The positives on the car are:

*Good engine, pulls strongly for a V6
    *Smooth transmission, though it's only a 4 speed
    *I actually like the stereo better than the X5, more bass plus 6CD changer in dash
    *The lighting on the dash is clear for both night and day
    *The HID headlights are height-adjustable, something that really annoyed me on the X5 because it was pointed too low. Now I can raise it anytime I' like
    *True 4WD drive
    *With current deals, it's relatively cheap.
    Forgive me if you don't want to talk about it, but I was wondering how your X5 was stolen.
    Didn't it have the same type of Ignition Immobilizing security system similar to the QX4?

They won't start unless the chip in the key is the correct one programmed for that vehicle. Isn't that what we have in the QX4?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    There's always a way. If you have anything short of an armed guard stand by your car and watch it while you park, it doesn't matter if you have an ignition immobilizer or lojack...if someone wants your car bad enough, they'll take it.

I've heard the best thing to do is to put in an electronic fuel pump shut-off. But then again, it can always be flatbedded or towed away:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I actually don't know how the car was stolen. There was no broken glass and not signs of forced entry. I was playing softball across the street, a brief rain shower came. We went for cover, that was the last time I saw my car. 30 minutes later when the rain stopped, no car... BTW, it was stolen in Queens, NY.
    I noticed that if I leave A/C on and turn the ignition off, next time after starting the A/C will keep the last setting. That is, if last time I manually adjusted fan down to a lower speed, it'll memmorize that and bring that setting up. However if I set air ventilation to recirclation mode, it won't memorize that. It always start with "outside" mode. I wish it memorizes that too.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    Leaving your AC on when you shut the car off isn't such a good idea. As it is, the AC Compressor robs an engine of anywhere between 12-16 hoprsepower, so when you start your car, it also tries to start up the AC Compressor as well which can be strainful on an engine over time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jaspat2jaspat2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1997 QX4 from my local Infinity dealer and naturally, it was missing the floor mats. I asked the dealer to replace them and they said they didn't have my color and could not order any because Infiniti doesn't make them anymore?? Since this car is in mint condition with merely 40k miles, I want to keep the interior perfect. I was forced to take grey mats for my biege interior and obviously this looks terrible (to me). Has anyone else heard or been told these mats are not available?
    Yes you're right. I read it somewhere but sometimes forgot to turn A/C off first. Actually I did this when I didn't turn off A/C before the car was turned off: Turn ignition back to "on" not "start" and the A/C will "run" again(not the compressor but the fan and such). Then turn off the A/C. So at next start the A/C will be in off mode.
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    ...around 16.5 around town so far. My daily commute is about 15 miles round trip, and it has about 4K on the odo so far. The mpg has been improving slightly since new (I was getting about 15). This is with HEAVY A/C use (Las Vegas in summer is pretty toasty), and average speed of 45. Unfortunately there were some problems (4 unbalanced wheels, warped rotors, buzzy trim bit, and the wheel wasn't on straight). Infiniti fixed them all, so things should get better.

As for car theft, there was a trend in the early 90's in the UK where thieves would climb under the car, cut the handbrake cable and tow the car away. Of course that only worked on manual transmissions, which are very common there.