Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    I agree wholeheartedly what bigorange30 says...I've an '01, bought in July of '00...Still love it...Just remembering that 'it's a truck' is important...OK SUV...It's not a car...Also, see no real reason to buy a QX4 and not get 4WD...Resale alone will help...And if you'll never use 4WD I'm sure there are better choices...
  • cretecrete Posts: 105
    I have a 2002 QX4 4WD and I'm very satisfied with the engine power and smooth acceleration. The brakes also provide safe and adequate stopping power. I just wish I could get better gas mileage, I'm averaging 14 in the city.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    I was getting 14 mpg too until I switched to Mobil1 synthetic oil at 3300 miles. Since then, I have gotten 15.5 - 16 mpg. It really more than pays for itself especially since I can now go more than 7 k miles between oil changes.
  • I just brought a 2002 4WD recently and enjoy the vehicle quite a lot. I had a 4.4 X5 before it was stolen, so my comparison may seem a bit harsh. The QX4 doesn't ride as well as the X5, you will especially feel the higher center of gravity. The brakes while adequate doesn't give me much confidence, this may have to do with the tires which rides a bit rough. The tires also create some road noise. There is significant amount of wind noise at 75 MPH. The engine pulls strongly and tranny is pretty smooth, there is a slight pause between the 1st - 2nd gear switch, but it's not really noticeable unless you are turning. All of this may seem to pretty negative, but compared to other truck based and even some car based SUV, I like the QX4 better. The one thing that I think infiniti can do better and irks me is the interior. There are flashes of cheap plastics, especially around the window and door controls.
    So, is that a recommendation or not. If you dislike all of those things, why would you recommend it over other SUVs. You didn't mention anything positive that would support the fact that it is better than others.
    Thanks for the tip... I'm getting close to an oil change and will definitely give it a try. Is the dealer willing to put mobil 1 in or do I have to go to an independent oil changer? Also, what brand of gas are you using?
    Sorry to hear about your stolen X5, did you ever get it back? I'm not suprised you're saying this about the QX4 coming out of the X5. But then again you are looking at QX4 around $35K as compared to a (4.4i) X5 around $55K.

I agree that some of the interior buttons, knobs, handles, etc. are of lesser quality and plastics.
    I think the QX4 inherited these from the Nissan Pathfinder. However I think Infiniti did a good job blending them in and making it less noticeable of their inferior quality.

BTW, I heard BMW X5's have had many problems with their door handles peeling, true? Some owners have gone through two sets of handles.
    I supply the oil and the filter and he charges me $16 for the labor. I think that is with some coupon that he had while I was there because the 2nd time I was surprised that it was a little higher. It was in the low $20s as I recall. I usually use Citgo 92 octane gas since that station usually has the cheapest gas in my area. I also put a K&N filter on it. I was dissapointed that the K&N did no improve the mpg.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,587
    It's hard to compare before and after with all the variables to contend with, but it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if you'd put the OEM filter back on for a couple thousand miles and compare the mpg numbers.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

that if it didn't change the mpg when I put it on that it would change if when I take it off?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,587
    Maybe your SUV is broken in more now? Maybe the aftermarket one isn't as good as the OEM one for your make? Maybe you'll wipe off any oil on the MAP sensor if you switch it out?

Just curious, since we never seem to have any reports from people who go back to OEM.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Like I said, these were my observations coming from an X5 and it may seems harsh. But, I am recommending it if you are looking for a semi-luxury vehicle around the $35K range. I like it better than the RX300, Highlander, 4Runner and the ML Series. The positives on the car are:

*Good engine, pulls strongly for a V6
    *Smooth transmission, though it's only a 4 speed
    *I actually like the stereo better than the X5, more bass plus 6CD changer in dash
    *The lighting on the dash is clear for both night and day
    *The HID headlights are height-adjustable, something that really annoyed me on the X5 because it was pointed too low. Now I can raise it anytime I' like
    *True 4WD drive
    *With current deals, it's relatively cheap.
    Forgive me if you don't want to talk about it, but I was wondering how your X5 was stolen.
    Didn't it have the same type of Ignition Immobilizing security system similar to the QX4?

They won't start unless the chip in the key is the correct one programmed for that vehicle. Isn't that what we have in the QX4?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,891
    There's always a way. If you have anything short of an armed guard stand by your car and watch it while you park, it doesn't matter if you have an ignition immobilizer or lojack...if someone wants your car bad enough, they'll take it.

I've heard the best thing to do is to put in an electronic fuel pump shut-off. But then again, it can always be flatbedded or towed away:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• I actually don't know how the car was stolen. There was no broken glass and not signs of forced entry. I was playing softball across the street, a brief rain shower came. We went for cover, that was the last time I saw my car. 30 minutes later when the rain stopped, no car... BTW, it was stolen in Queens, NY.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I noticed that if I leave A/C on and turn the ignition off, next time after starting the A/C will keep the last setting. That is, if last time I manually adjusted fan down to a lower speed, it'll memmorize that and bring that setting up. However if I set air ventilation to recirclation mode, it won't memorize that. It always start with "outside" mode. I wish it memorizes that too.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,891
    Leaving your AC on when you shut the car off isn't such a good idea. As it is, the AC Compressor robs an engine of anywhere between 12-16 hoprsepower, so when you start your car, it also tries to start up the AC Compressor as well which can be strainful on an engine over time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• I just bought a 1997 QX4 from my local Infinity dealer and naturally, it was missing the floor mats. I asked the dealer to replace them and they said they didn't have my color and could not order any because Infiniti doesn't make them anymore?? Since this car is in mint condition with merely 40k miles, I want to keep the interior perfect. I was forced to take grey mats for my biege interior and obviously this looks terrible (to me). Has anyone else heard or been told these mats are not available?
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    Yes you're right. I read it somewhere but sometimes forgot to turn A/C off first. Actually I did this when I didn't turn off A/C before the car was turned off: Turn ignition back to "on" not "start" and the A/C will "run" again(not the compressor but the fan and such). Then turn off the A/C. So at next start the A/C will be in off mode.
  • spudgalspudgal Posts: 35
    ...around 16.5 around town so far. My daily commute is about 15 miles round trip, and it has about 4K on the odo so far. The mpg has been improving slightly since new (I was getting about 15). This is with HEAVY A/C use (Las Vegas in summer is pretty toasty), and average speed of 45. Unfortunately there were some problems (4 unbalanced wheels, warped rotors, buzzy trim bit, and the wheel wasn't on straight). Infiniti fixed them all, so things should get better.

As for car theft, there was a trend in the early 90's in the UK where thieves would climb under the car, cut the handbrake cable and tow the car away. Of course that only worked on manual transmissions, which are very common there.
  • erk5erk5 Posts: 21
    my roommate also recently bought a '97 QX4. he went to the Infiniti dealer (here in San Francisco, CA) and they had tan ones in stock. If they don't have tan ones, they should be able to order them! Don't give up. I wouldn't settle for gray mats in a tan interior... it's a QX4! not a Pontiac Aztec or Nissan Xterra.
  • erk5erk5 Posts: 21
    I posted this a couple of weeks ago. anyway, my friend just bought a 97 QX4 and it seems like it needs new shocks. Has anyone replaced their's yet? do you recommend going to Infiniti or an independent shop?
  • I am just curious why Infiniti QX4 2003 doesn't have the tracation control (DVC) and the tire pressure monitor that came with the PF LE 2003???
    it wouldn't need traction control at all. As for the tire pressure monitor, I have one of those little doo-hickeys that looks like a pen. Works just fine ;)
  • spudgal: That doesnt really address my curiosity!! If you go to the Nissan website and check the PF 2003 LE 4WD you will see that the DVC (Dynamic Vehicle Control) is an option that includes the tire pressure monitor. You must agree with me that the convinience of the automatic check is much better than going everytime to check the pressure with the doo-hickeys. Tire pressure problems are the main reason for tire blow outs due to excessive heat due to an underinflated or overinflated tires. It is a major safety feature in my opinion. If the traction control is not needed since it is a 4WD then why is it advertised for the PF LE 2003 4WD??? BTW...I have a 2002 QX4 4WD. Thanks.
    to DVC than traction control in the sense I'm thinking of, then. My Acura TL has traction control, where if the wheels slip, then power from the engine is decreased momentarily. This would be the opposite of the QX4's auto mode, which is why it sounded so wierd :)

I supposed the tire pressure monitor could be good too, but I usually check mine visually every other day - we live near a lot of construction, so nails are a regular hazard. In fact, we just had one pulled from the TL last week! I guess it's just another one of those things I never knew I needed!!
  • I had thought the major difference between the QX4 and the PF was that tranny from the QX4 comes from the Skyline, which is an AWD system and has traction control. The DVC must be a new option on the PF or just that they decided to put the infinity tranny on it and give it a different name.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    The AWD system on the QX4 (derived from the Skyline) was introduced to the Pathfinder for the 2001 model year...2 years ago. At that point, there was NO difference in the powertrain between QX4 and the PF. The new VDC and TC inroduced with the 2003 PF is new for both models, although TC is essentially an electronic version of the existing Limited Slip Differential. These 2 features are a safety/performance enhancement to the existing powertrain and 4wd system which BOTH models can benefit from.
  • Thanks Phil47: Does that mean the 2003 QX4 has the traction control with the now standard LSD on the 4WD? What about the tire pressure monitor on the PF LE 2003? The QX4 doesnt have it and it was not mentioned as a new feature anywhere in their literature!!! Any ideas?
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    but Infiniti has not released VDC, TC or the tire pressure monitor on the QX4 yet. I would have expected it to show up on the QX4 first. I suspect it is very close to being offered. I still think the PF/QX4 without the VDC and TC is a great vehicle (I have nothing but praise for my 2001 PF LE).

LSD is offered on the 4WD QX4. It works well, but I think TC has advantages (I really like the way it works on my 2001 Honda Odyssey during the winters here in Calgary).