Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Fuel Pump/Fuel System

Comments

• hdking57hdking57 Member Posts: 2
    no I haven't tried anything really yet...
  • joelmichjoelmich Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2001 GMC Sierra and have the same problem. Did you ever find out what the problem was and what was the fix? Please email me at n4urw@earthlink.net.

Joel
  • jrob4jrob4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 2500 i think has a bad fuel pump but would like to make sure. Does anyone know how i can check pump?
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    1. disconnect the fuel line turn the key on watch the fuel pump out.
    2. turn the key on listen for a wining noise from the fuel pump area.

is your fuel gauge moving erratically?
    when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?
    any pulsing/surging while driving?

the fuel pressure regulator will make hard starting
  • wildcard00wildcard00 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Silverado 2500 w/6.0 sometimes has no power.Does not matter hot or cold,always starts and idles fine.Go to accelerate and will not pick up RPM.If you hold pedal steady eventually power comes back.Then will not act up until shut off again.Like I said doesn't happen all the time.Replaced fuel filter,checked fuel pressure@55psi,new air filter,spark plugs the whole gammet.Cleaned MAF sensor.Anyone else with the problem and what did it take to fix.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sounds like a problem with your throttle position sensor
  • wildcard00wildcard00 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response.Would that not trigger a check engine light?I plugged my Scan Guage in and no codes found.The TPS seems to be reading correctly which I can monitor with the Scan Guage.The degrees move with opening and closing of throttle.
    fuel pressure regulator?
    easy to check, pull the vac hose off the regulator see if it has fuel in it
  • tiannajtiannaj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 and its attemting to start, but sputters & dies out. I got a new fuel pump less than a year ago. It is a non manufacture pump & was pricey. First I replaced the fuel filter, that worked.Then we put a new starter in (that wasnt the problem).After that I replaced the crank shaft censor; that worked for a few days. Then It did the same thing. I had it towed to a shop; they just replaced a fuse & it started and I drove it. The next day it wouldnt start again. The truck attepts to but sputters out & dies. I just am not sure what else it could be. Any ideas?
    Thank you,
    Tianna ?
  • tiannajtiannaj Member Posts: 2
    hello,
    where is the regulator located?
    thanks again
    up by the throttel body driver side, there is a small 3/16 dia. rubber vacuum hose connected to it. If you pull the hose and it has fuel in it the vacuum hose the regulator is bad.

I think the cost is about $30 and take only a few minutes to change

i can send a pic, email me tdebat@yahoo.com
    go to this link, i posted the photo on the web since i've has numerous requests for the photo

">link titlehttp://www.leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel regulator replacement.htm
  • desertrunner71desertrunner71 Member Posts: 3
    Hey there guys.. read posts and seems my issue might be alittle different. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 and when I start the truck it justs cycles and doesnt start. Release the key and try to start again, the truck fires up. Thinkin possible dirty filter not allowing enough fuel in line??? Having no idle or accelaration issues...

Also, after I start, my "LOW FUEL" light comes on and the gauge reads on empty. Then once I start driving the gauge jumps to the right level and the light goes out. When I come to a stop, within seconds the light goes back on and the gauge drops to "E". And so on and so on....

Anything solutions would be great! Can this be a filter issue as well or might it be an electrical issue!

Thanks!!!!
    my guess, fuel filter
  • sforchesforche Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my 2001 silverado. I went to start it one morning and it started for a second or two then died. turned the key off turned it back on herd the pump run for 3 seconds then tried to start it. It started for 1 or 2 seconds and dies. I can repeat this over and over with the same outcome.
    If the pumps runs could there be another problem.
    COULD BE FUEL FILTER, FUEL PUMP OR FUEL REGULATOR

LAST TIME THE FUEL FILTER WAS CHANGED ? 50K OR MORE CHANGE IT NOW BEFORE YOUR FUEL PUMP DIES.

IF THATS NOT IT CHECK THE FUEL REGULATOR, UNDER THE HOOD SEE PIC.

http://www.leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel%20regulator%20replacement.htm
  • sforchesforche Member Posts: 2
    thanks
    I checked fuel regulator hose and there is no fuel in it.
    one other thing I forgot to mention is the security light is on all the time now
  • stoneagestoneage Member Posts: 1
    got this problem starting my truck three of four times then it may start, stubbles coughs then dies it will start then its fine below 1/4 tank it wont its an o4 2500 bought a filter for it cant find it on the truck to replace it.any ideas
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Fuel filter is located inside the frame rail, just below the driver's side door.
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Diagnose the problem instead of throwing parts at it. Usually when running problems occur with Vortec engines its either the fuel pump pressure or tune up related. Fuel pressure has to be a minimum of 55psi. Check the rail pressure with a guage.
  • tkitten1982tkitten1982 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone!

After reading through ALOT of the messages here... I am quite surprised that there are so many people with fuel pump / filter related problems.

I have had the worst possible thing happen to me my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. I had the Transmission Radiator BURST inside my Coolant Radiator and had to replace my "Dual" Radiator, Water pump, all my hoses, Coolant Storage...etc. After all that I still have a problem and was curious to know if anyone can help. I have taken to numerous dealerships and talked to everyone I know and no one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem.

So here it is:
    When I start up my truck... and it gets warm (optimal temperature being about 200 on my little temperature gauge :) and I press the gas pedal to give it gas...it "sputters" for lack of a better term. It's more like a vibration though, that I only really feel in the pedal and in the seat. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. As I drive I can actually control this problem...I can lightly press the gas pedal and it will start acting like it is starving for fuel... BUT I can push through this by accelerating and it will be ok for about 30 seconds then it will start again. If I let off the gas pedal and lightly press it again...it will once more "sputter." It does this no matter what speed I am at and continually gets worse the longer I drive it. 30 miles is about all I am able to take it down the road before it starts acting insanely worse and I am scared that it is just going to die ...... WHILE I am driving it.

I have had the GMC dealership tell me there is nothing wrong with it. They told me "drive it till' it dies!" I can not believe they have taken this stand. I (although female and Definetly NOT a mechanic...KNOW that it is something with the FUEL) Whether it be the fuel pump or fuel filter (which is in my Fuel tank - stupidest thing ever) know one or both of these need to be replaced. The dealership totally disagrees and told me to get my tires checked (which I did - balanced, rotated and everything) Had my truck Tuned up, oil changed, fuids checked, Fuel injectors, throttle body cleaned, and with all the new parts it is practically BRAND NEW under the hood.

So any idea my fellow GMC people?? Any (and I do me ANY) help would be much appreciated as I am scared to death of breaking down while driving 50-70 mph and losing control of my truck. I live in DC and it's not fun on the beltway in rush hour traffic.

Thanks guys!
    I am not really to sure as to what your issue might be. I do off road racing and during a particular race, I actually split a tranny line. Did not know it and when I would accelerate and get to a certain MPH, my vehicle would shake really bad. That was due to the tranny starving for fluid. Filled it up, patched the split and it went away!

This may not have anything to do with your issue but you never know. Check your tranny fluid possibly get it flushed. When your radiator burst, you might have lost enough fluid to make this happen.

Hope this helps! Good luck...
    tkitten have you checked the fuel pressure regulator, usually if this bad you notice it at startups. here is a link to show a photo, its easy to check even for a women.

http://www.leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel%20regulator%20replacement.htm

good luck
    I did have the Transmission and the Radiator flushed (twice!) and all the fluids have been replaced and filled up.

What do you mean though...when you say that you "patched" the split? In the transmission line itself? I only ask because we DID have a hair line fracture in our Transmission last year that we took to the dealership and had them fix for about $1,200.00. Do you think that all this may be my Transmission about the Go out???

God I hope not, I just dropped $3,000.00 on this!

I appreciate the quick responses..thank you.
    I'm at work and will check it after I get off...but it doesn't seem to have any problems actually starting up...but it DOES have a slight rough idle to it. Nothing that anyone but myself can feel. But I have driven this vehicle for 4 years now and I know when it feels wrong. It almost seems to drive rough too...and that's after a Tune up.

Any other ideas?? :sick:
  • jimadair347jimadair347 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I've recently purchased a used GMC Sierra 2500 HD V8, and it seems to have a problem starting occasionally. For the second time, I have turned the ignition key and don't hear the fuel pump prime. Then it won't start. It did this a few weeks ago before work, but when I got home everything worked fine. Is this a common problem, and it it easy to fix or diagnose? Any help would be most appreciated.. :confuse:
    READ THIS - WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TRUCK?

link title
    What I ment by patch was I actually cut a large piece of vacuum hose that went into my master brake cylinder and spliced that into the line where the split was. The damage occurred from a very large section of bumps that made my engine shift and the hose was pinched between the frame rail and the bottom portion of my alternator.

In a race it is all about time. You gotta do what you can to keep moving. That repair took me about 15 minutes once the fluid was cool enough to handle on my hands. Sorry to hear about you paying $1200 for the repair…

Good luck with your vehicle
  • mp12mp12 Member Posts: 2
    Can the 2009 Silverados or Sierras w/ 5.3 engine come without the active fuel management?
  • nocodenocode Member Posts: 3
    2003 silverado 1500 5.3 litre

Hey, new here but anticipate I am going to start having allot of problems with my truck pretty soon. Ok, here is the deal, when I turn over my truck normally, it will keep turning over for quite a while, before it starts. If I turn the key on, without turning it over and let it set for 10 seconds, it turns over right away. I initially thought it was the pressure regulator, so I put a new one in. that did not correct the problem, so I put a new fuel filter in, still did not fix problem. My next guess was the fuel pump going bad, I had it tested, they said it was fine, but I don't exactly believe them. I also am noticing a purging sound at the regulator, and can feel it when I touch it when the truck is running.
    If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    You have a tuffy. Usually with all GM vortec engines starting up problems are either fuel pressure or tune up related. You have to run some test. If the vehicle has 90k miles or more do a complete tune up. With a fuel guage check fuel pressure at the rail. With key on engine off 55-65 psi is the spec. Watch the pressure for at least 2 minuts with the key on and see if the pressure drops more than 5psi. Having the key on for 10 sec prior to starting may assist the vehicle if it is in bad need of a tune up. Do these test and repost.
    I had a garage do that about 2 weeks ago, and they said the pressure was fine, I suppose I should pick up the proper tools to check it myself. I do have only 80,000 miles, so I do probably need to do a complete fuel system cleaning. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • qzcswimqzcswim Member Posts: 1
    (2002 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3liter) What is the difference between a 1 connector Module code and a 2 connector Module code for a fuel pump?
  • jimjorgejimjorge Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I was driving my truck on the freeway and it sputtered and died on me. The engine would crank over fine. Had to have it towed home. I broke out the chiltons book and it said to open the electrical center under the hood and check for 12V at the pump primer test spot. It is supposed to put out 12V for 2 seconds after the key is turned. mine had 12V all the time. This morning I go out to check it out in the daylight, and the battery is dead. Also I have to say that the fuel gage would deflect (between empty and whatever the real level was). so I went down to o'rieleys and bought a fuel pump, filter and relay. I heard from a mechanic that if you have a hoist an easy swap is to lift the bed off the truck.
    I rigged up my hoist and tied rope to the tie downs in the bed, you have to disconnect a couple of wiring harnesses above the bumper, and the three screws in the filler neck. 8 bolts later the Sucker lifted right off and out of the way. You gotta make sure you rig it right cause it probably weighs 3-400 lbs (guessing).
    new pump filter and relay cost me about $320. I had to use the double connector model ( the have a single connector model for $150. very easy swap, the car starts and the fuel gage works consistanly. I hope this post helps some one else out there.
    JJ
  • true56true56 Member Posts: 4
    I got the same problem with my truck cant get the gas in did u fix it or can u tell me what u didlink">
    Two weeks ago it started cant get gas to go in my 2007 gmc truck,Is this just another thing on this chev that falls apart in three years
    edited March 2010
    OK, it finally happened, my truck started idling erratically, and almost wanted to die on me, so I had to put it in neutral, and press the gas while I was at a stop light. I made it to a garage, and had them put a fuel pump in. Problem solved, so I thought. 2 days later it started idling funny, check engine light came back on. I put it in neutral, and revved the engine a bit, and it ran fine after that, and has still been running good. The check engine light has come off. I believe, I am going to need a new O2 sensor very soon though. But bottom line, 80,000 miles on a Chevy truck, and be prepared to put a new fuel pump in. Also I have been noticing my front axle seals starting to leak. So Chevy's are built to last, built to last 85,000 miles maybe. Piece of crap. Lucky for them, I still like how they drive, and look.
  • seafarmerseafarmer Member Posts: 16
    Change out the canister under the bed of the truck. I didn't even have to jack it up to get it. There are two hoses running to it that control the back pressure to the tank. It was @ $25 for the part from the dealer (dealer only part but in stock...imagine that. They only keep parts in stock when a lot of them are going bad.). Anyhow, there is a plastic clip that holds it up there and just a quick connect to pop out and re-install on the new one. These clog up with debris, especially if the tank has been overfilled repeatedly. You should be good as new.
    Hi thanks for the reply ..just caled dealer and the canister is 211.00 bucks and the vent solinoid is 180.00 .....where did u get it for 25 as u said or just maybe we get screwed up here in canada ..I f you know where you got it i will order one from there thanks
  • seafarmerseafarmer Member Posts: 16
    Even with the exchange rate $211 is quite a jump! I still have my receipts in my glove box. I got mine from Medina Auto Mall, Medina, Ohio, 44256, USA. . www.medinaautomall.net Without looking, I forget if it was the purge valve or vent valve but it's under the bed of the truck.

I'm not certain of any special Candian requirements that might alter the canister used but it's basically a plastic canister with a brillo-pad inside. If you find that a U.S. version will work, I'll pick one up for you and ship it to you.
    edited March 2010
    Ya that sounds great just gota find out if it will work..I dont know why we get screwed here for car parts...I just restored a 64 Impala super sport I purchaced everything from calafornia about 20 thow ,Listen to this ,to buy a windshield for my car its 480 bucks here ...I got all the glass front back and vent and side glass in the US for 425 and that includes shipin to my door.The wheels and tires 460 here for one unit... All 4 rims mounted on tires delivered the same product for 800 Im sorry Canada I love this place but I cant aford to shop here... and It goes on and on
    All the dutys were paid and the exchange rate as well
  • alaskablakealaskablake Member Posts: 1
    This problem has finally got me destroyed. I have an 04 silverado in which the fuel pump (or so i would assume) took a dive on me. I shut off the truck, 3 minutes later went to start it and it just turns over.... So i thought it was the fuel pump. 45 minutes later i went to turn it over for [non-permissible content removed] and giggles and nothing, not even a solenoid click from the starter. Its not a dead battery (checked that) and i checked all of the fuses and they are all great. Here is what i cannot figure out.

The 8 gauge wire that goes to the solenoid does not show any activity when i turn it over. What could be causing that? (starter is good) I even traced the wire all the way to the fuse box and checked for activity when i turned it over and nothing.

Can anyone give me any ideas?

thanks.
  • b072786b072786 Member Posts: 3
    check for fuel pressure so see if you got any. and also check if the injecters are cloged
  • francis123francis123 Member Posts: 1
    how to remove the fuel pump in a 1999 gmc sierra? anyone? i need detailed guide on how t do it.. thanks a lot.
  • ebonysilveradoebonysilverado Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2001 silverado..single cab

need to disconect battery set brake etc

you need to lift the box
    loosen the far side but remove the gas tank side (6 bolts)
    lift and prop with a sturdy beam so you dont have to remove the box completely
    then you can remove the fuel pump

gotta cut and splice wires so pull out a nice length
    make sure you have tape to cover it

only other thing is remember to wear gloves this proces can be very dirty

and when you start you supposed to turn key to ac and leave there so pump gas through the lines

ps th e full instructions are somewhere in this forum
  • r62ewar62ewa Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road in my GMC Sierra 2001, V6 4X4 and the truck just stopped and would not restart. So I figured it was something with the fuel pump/filter.

I changed the filter and also put in a new fuel pump and the truck still won't start, just cranks over.

Any ideas on what my issue could be???
    You did check to see if you had spark I assume ???

Fuel regulator ?

Look here
    http://leaseorsale.biz/truck/fuel%20regulator%20replacement.htm
  • Duane99Duane99 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 99 silverado 5.3 that has the same issue. Always starts fine, but if hasn't sat for a couple of days, will not accelerate for about 2-3 minutes and then fine after that. Lately, the gas gauge has registered empty when tank is full, switch off/on and it registers correctly. What did you find out to be your problem. Thank you.
    Fuel filter change it now or pay later for a new file pump. plugged fllter causing over draw of amps causing fuel Gage to flipflop.