Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Fuel Pump/Fuel System

12345679»

Comments

• 86low86low Member Posts: 2
  • 86low86low Member Posts: 2
    2000 GME Sierra SLE 5.3
    When I put gas in, the fuel handle keeps kicking back. I have to hold the fuel handle on as soft as possible to keep it from kicking back. It takes for ever to fill up.
    Anyone know why & a fix?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks Mike
  • ph10ph10 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing going on with my truck. I notice a hissing sound in the gas tank area. I googled it and found a guy who said there was a hole in the fuel line coming up from the pump to the top of the pump assembly. The fuel is drianing back into the tank and pressure is not holding. The fuel line apparentlly rubs on the springs that hold the pump on the bottom of the tank. Now I have to find out how many electical connections my pump has so I can order the right one. All is see on the searches I've done show that unbolting the bed is easier than dropping the tank.
  • hillbillybobhillbillybob Member Posts: 1
    I had no tail lights at all. I replaced brake light fuse, signal flasher. Now when I turn on my park/head lights, the stupid fuel pump runs for about 5 seconds. The truck runs fine, the front lights work fine, I have no rear park/brake lights., only signal lights.

Ran new ground wire at bumper in place of a rusty one. Inspected for loose cables, checked bulbs, checked fuses....Now I am lost, and need help. :confuse:
  • horseman08886horseman08886 Member Posts: 1
    I have a gmc 2500 6.0 v8 sierra, the last few times i have been a issue I cant quiet put my finger on. At ignition the truck seems to be starving for fuel after i give it a little gas it kicks right over. I'm unsure if its the fuel filter or the spark plugs or what I am looking at.
  • erberichrerberichr Member Posts: 1
    Will not keep running

by erberichr

Jun 08, 2013 (7:53 pm)

1995 Silverado - Ran out of fuel.
    1) Added more. Vehicle started ran a few seconds and died.
    2) Replaced Fuel Filter Same symptoms.

When vehicle does start, I can pump the gas at it will run a little longer.

I think it might be the Fuel pump relay.

Any Suggestions?
  • cg9629cg9629 Member Posts: 2
  • cg9629cg9629 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 gmc sierra z71, it has the 5.7 350 in it. Ive been having problems trying to repair the truck, the truck starts percfectly most of the time and it will run for a while until i try to put it on Drive then it just dies, after a couple of times of doing this the truck won't start, i try pouring fuel into the carb and it will start briefly but will die soon after, while runnin i hit the gas and in squirts fuel but suddenly stops, ive replaced fuel pump, fuel filter fuel relay, ignition coil, control module, rotor, but still no solution. A couple of people have told me to replace the pick up coil but that involves removing tr distributor and ive never done that. My question is, could the pick up coil be causing this?? Or does anyone know of anything else i should check??
  • bill8497bill8497 Member Posts: 1
    truck will run 10-20min and die cool down 10-15-min will restart and repeat same. sometimes will run 60 min in park . replaced fuel pump & filter and all relays.
  • nightmare1147nightmare1147 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra extended cab 4.8L V8 was having trouble on cold start with the ideal smooth ones warmed up now the truck turns over but won't stay on and I hear a clicking poping sound from under the truck center consol location can someone help Thanks

• cgreenhalghsrcgreenhalghsr Member Posts: 5

@dptaylor said:
    Hi, this is my first time on a site like this, I'm a woman in Jamaica with a fabulous truck that myself and anybody else that rides in it or just sees it loves immediately.
    I do have a Large Problem with going through Fuel Pumps, as this is my 4th one for the year. One mechanic suggested using
    an external correct psi fuel pump like in the days of the
    Carberators. ??? What do you think.
    This is what has happened 4 times now.
    Please remember Jamaica does NOT have wonderful fuel. So
    maybe an additive could help, any suggestions would be
    appreciated.
    TRUCK WILL BEGIN TO HESITATE WHEN TAKING OFF, THEN THE
    CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMES ON, THEN ON THE SIDE OF THE
    MOUNTAIN OR ON A VERY SKINNY ROAD I FEEL MY TRUCK LOOSE POWER AND THE ENGINE STOPS AND ALL THE DASH LIGHTS COME ON,
    (THIS ALL HAPPENS IN A MATTER OF 10 MILES OF DRIVING)
    THEN I BEGIN TO PRAY AND TRY TO FIND A PLACE TO PULL OVER SO THE WILD DRIVERS DO NOT RUN INTO ME. MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED AND I ROLL TO A SAFE PLACE. THEN THE EMBARASSMENT OF MY LOVELY TRUCK BEING TOWED TO THE LOCAL
    RACING SHOP. (I FIGURE THOSE GUYS ARE THE MOST UP TO DATE
    ON HOW TO FIX THINGS.)
    WHEN THEY GET THE FUEL PUMP OUT AND TAKE IT APART THE BRUSHES ARE ALWAYS DOWN TO NOTHING.
    WHEN FIXING WE
    1) REMOVE TANK AND CLEAN
    2) REPLACE THE PUMP
    3) REPLACE FUEL REGULATOR, UP ON THE ENGINE
    4) REPLACE ALL THE FILTERS.
    THIS MECHANIC FEELS I BURN THE PUMPS BECAUSE I RUN MY
    TRUCK ABOUT 18-20 HOURS A DAY WITH THE A/C ON FULL BLAST.
    I AM SOMETIMES AT A STAND STILL FOR OVER 30 MINS.
    ANY IDEAS OUT THERE?
    MANY THANKS
    DPTAYLOR :sick:

• cgreenhalghsrcgreenhalghsr Member Posts: 5

Silverados are famous for fuel pump problems. To make changing the pump an easy snap not requiring dropping the tank or shifting the bed, I cut a trapdoor in the bed right above the fuel pump. 7" wide X 12" long. 14" in from the side and 6" back from the front of the bed. I riveted two strips of sheet metal to the sides of the cut out piece and these secure the trap door to the bed with sheet metal screws. Changing the pump is a 20 minute job for one man. This fix will work on any truck with the fuel tank below the bed and the pump in the tank. Why didn't Detroit make a door here? Perhaps $300 dollars for fuel pump replacement will give you an idea why!

• Brittanihyatt_55Brittanihyatt_55 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019

In desperate help ! I have a 97 chevy tahoe with 5.7 vortec i been having on going problems with this damn truck and once i locate the problem another one appears. changed alternator because it went out then it just died one day to find out the pump out. Changed that along with  relay and filter. Did complete tune up. spark plugs cleaned throttle body. New camshaft position sensor.. Distributor cap and rotor. Finally found the problem the  ignition coil went out . bam i changed it then it started worked for few days then didnt want start one morning. Yet again im back at it change fuel regulator sensor still dont start. Pump activates but no fuel is coming out of bleeder valve What so ever im figuring its clogged somewhere but i dont  even know where to begin Checked injectors located in manifold they seem be fine but engine isnt getting fuel . i use starter fluid starts but seconds later shuts off. Im beat Ideas input anythinggggggg !!!! I have so much faith with my damn truck but i became very irritated with it 830.890.1637 please txt me if i dont respond ive never done this online crap before but im at a loss rn please help