Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Milan vs Toyota Camry

behbeh Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Mercury
I plan to buy a midsize sedan around 20-23,000.
I am a gentle driver, drive average 10.000 miles/year, would like to keep this car for 7-8 years, even maybe more if goes troublelessly! Do care mainly about safety and convenient driving, and want an automatic transmission. Do NOT care about "fancy" features, as most people do!! Hate driving noises, love smooth driving. Have narrowed my options down to these two cars: Mercury Millan 2006 (not sure the basic I4 vs the V6 type though yet), and Toyota Camry 2006/2007 (simply, the basic standard trim). Also, I am open to consider other cars with more-or-less same characteristics, if recommended over these two. Have heard new Hondas have "weak transmission" which breaks down in few years, it may not be really true(?), but makes me nervous about Honda.
What do you guys recommend? Appreciate much.

Comments

• jordanrobinsonjordanrobinson Member Posts: 42
    Not to stray too far off topic, but I know the New 3.5L V-6 that is going in the 2007 MKZ boasts 263HP. So that's getting better for sure. I hope they make this optional for Fusion/Milan. So far I haven't heard anything about it, but it certainly seems possible. We can hope anyway! :)
  • picard12picard12 Member Posts: 55
    Honda transmission problems had been fix before 2005. Other Honda accord users mentioned to me that the transmission of 2005 models run just fine. There is no problem for 2006 model either. The problem with transmission is on Passat 2006 and new audi 2006.

The camry V6 is much quieter than 4cyl version. You have to remember that the new camry use same engine of Avalon. Therefore it will be quiet as a church mouse. :)
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Nissan Altima
    Chevrolet Malibu
    Hyundai Sonata
    Mazda 6

Test drive its free!.. :)
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    The camry V6 is much quieter than 4cyl version.

Show me the numbers, not your opinions!!!
  • behbeh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. Looks like you're more in favor of Camry. However, I actually did some more homework, found Ford 500 probably(?) a better choice, kind of same price with current discounts. Any ideas?
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Discounts such as those that are prevalent on the domestic makes errode the resale market. Always remember to think....Why is it being discounted?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I am sure no one will argue that the Camry is a great car as is the Accord. I looked at the Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Camry and Milan and am buying the Milan. For the money, it seems to be a great value and the reviews are excellent. The six cylinder is quieter than the 4 cylinder and seemed very smooth.

Test drove the Mazda and did not care for the braking or the noisy engine; just my opinion.
    Toyota offers discounts too...?? They have cash back and special finance offers also...
    The 500/Montego is a sleeper. These cars are rate well, for safety and reliability. Some say the 3.0 v6 isn't enough power. Ford is putting a 3.5 in the 500 this fall. May want to wait if you can. But you may feel the 3.0 is enough for you.. Test drive one..
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    The 500/Montego is a sleeper. Hope they aren't asleep at the wheel when next to a new Camry 3.5 ;)
    The Camry styling is just now becoming halfway sporty and appealing.. Even the Avalon was a "sleeper" as you may call it.
    The 500/Montego are actually turing out to be very good cars. Very safe cars that have value in mind.
    So, How much HP/Torque is enough for you in a family sedan? 275HP? 300HP? 500HP? Where does it end? I look for balance in the drive train. More HP is not always better. I can still remember when the Accord hit the 200HP mark and the rave and ranting reviews that is was the end all to any other brand of family sedan... I guess when we hit 1000HP family sedans the media will be happy?? :shades:
  • faberdavidfaberdavid Member Posts: 2
    BEH
    I purchased the Milan Premier and am more than please with my decision. Its nice and quiet on the highway. It has a smooth ride. It is a nice car for the money. Ill be honest I like the styling on it too. Its also great on gas.

I recently took it on a trip to the Florida Keys from Miami. (aprox time 3 hrs) If anyone has driven to the Keys they know that the cops there ticket you for barely breaking the speed limit. I put the cruise control at 45 and was getting over 40 MPG according to the in dash reading.

I got the extended warranty on mine so that I wouldnt have to worry down the road about it going bad.
  • tmp888tmp888 Member Posts: 20
    Ford buys the 06 Milan/Fusion V6's transmissions (6-speed) from the same supplier who supplies 6-speed transmissions to Toyota (in Avalon/Lexus I think). The Ford 3.0L 24V DOHC engine has been around since mid-90 and it has been modifid/refined. Bottom line, it is solid/reliable powertrain.
    Agree, the 3.0 Duratec has been around for years. Started in Europe and made its way to the states in about 1997/8 time frame. I know Ford gets its transmission from Japan for the Fusion/Milan. I am not sure if its the same supplier for Toyota? Good question though... Time to do some internet research... :)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If it is indeed the same or more likely, similar transmission to the Camry 6 speed, Ford must be doing something better with the entire drive train and computer control hardware and software than Toyota. There seems to be a LOT of complaints with Camry. Check out the 2007 Camry Woes discussion.
    OH yeah! I am fully aware of the 07 Camry issues. Funny though how it hasn't made headlines, nor has it been plastered all over the radio/news.

Notice when GM/Ford have issues it make headlines?? I am serious I am really beginning to wonder :confuse:
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Funny though how it hasn't made headlines, nor has it been plastered all over the radio/news.

Take off those domestic filtered glasses of yours and you'll catch those headlines. I know they exist because I read them. You can't name an instance where a recall from Honda and Toyota hasn't been published in the press.

The "big" headlines from GM and Ford deal mainly with the finance side of the company.

And I love it when posters point out a particular Honda or Toyota having quality problems because there's a "problem" thread as if that has any weight validity. Newsflash boys, if you lived only in the universe of Edmunds you would think Honda and Toyota were by far the largest automakers in the world by the number of posts in reference to those cars. Are you starting to get it?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I thought the 6-speed automatic transmission was a joint venture with GM?

As far as the Camry tranny woes, it remind me of the issues folks were having with the new Quest transmissions. Hesitation or no power at start-up. turn it off and back on again, all was fine. It was not a transmission issue but a problem with the throttle position and control module causing the tranny to act funny under certain conditions. I expereinced it a few times but has not reared its uglyhead for two years now. It could be part of a learning process.

Either way, both Milan and Camry are nice cars. I would be very happy with either.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Buy a Prius! Honda is a good choice also and the weak transmission blown out of proportion becuase hondas are normally so relaible. It is only a couple of percent and is far less than most other cars.

Also look at Scion A, Scion B, Yaris and Fit. Mazda 3 is also a good car.

The Camry is a good car, but first year 2007 big change. First year model problems even with Toyota.

DO NOT GET A MERCURY, i.e. Milan

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

When I saw the title "Mercury Milan vs Toyota Camry??" my reaction was "Milan?!?"
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The Fusion and Milan are very nice vehicles. Many good reviews. As long as they stay reliable (yes the big question)...
    Reliabilty is looking better than the 07 Camry right now.. ;)
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Hey cowboy, if you buy the Milan, a nice car if your an old fart, you'll regret not getting the Camry. A much better car, and it's not a Mercury! The Milan is nice but has a WEAK engine vs. the Camry sweet V6 with 6 speed. all the talk about the tranny is overstated. Also, great mileage on the Camry. I think if a person wants to keep a car more than 3 or 4 years, they better go Camry not Milan. Having said this, the Ford 500 is a huge car and drives nice. Just ok mileage, and with the new 3.5 V6 coming out, it could finally have an engine that can get you 0-60 in less than 10 seconds. A real crusier for sure. I'd also include the Sonata on my list of cars to look at for sure!
    Right bv050506, because nobody sees Camrys as old fart cars either.

The Milan has a V-6 mated with a 6 speed transmission that performs nicely. So I'm not sure what you are getting at with the weak engine remark. Maybe you are talking about the 4-cyl model, but then Camry has a pretty weak 4-cyl base model too. And gas mileage is almost identicle when you compare apples to apples.

What you will get out of the Milan is a unique look, and just as many, (if not more) options for a lower price. As for reliability, I'm not going trash on the Camry, historically it IS a nice car. But they have had thier issues just like anyone else has. And most cars you buy in the 06' - 07' model year are going to be reliable. If anything it comes down to price, the options you want, and styling. Unless you plan to head to the race track, power and gas mileage will have no real noticeable difference to the daily driver when comparing similar configurations.

I would invite you to test drive and compare your options and take whatever we say here with a grain of salt. But as a Ford/Mercury salesman I think you would be selling yourself short if you didn't take a good hard look at the Milan and/or Fusion.

Also, if your price point allows the Lincoln Zephyr (2006) / MKZ (2007) will blow the Camry away in terms of style and options for a similar price point. In fact the 07' MKZ has a 3.5L V-6 available that will eat the Camry for lunch and come back hungry.

Good luck regardless and should you have any questions about any of this stuff feel free to contact me. :D
    I think the Zephyr is about 7.0 to 60mph. Not exactly quick. Ford needs a really good V6 that cranks out about 275HP and yet can still get good mileage. It's a looker though. Sounds like it will be nice inside and well appointed. Good point when I reffered to the Milan as a old fart car, kinda like "livin' in a glass house" if you know what I mean. Thanks for the feedback.
    If you actually use wide open throttle to get those 0-60 times of under 7.0 seconds fairly often, you will soon see your MPG well below 20 as well, despite the supposedly high EPA city and highway MPG ratings for the Camry/Avalon V-6. There is no free lunch when it comes to leadfooted drivers.

I would argue that any "average" mid size sedan driver would find that any sedan having a 0-60 of 8-9 seconds or so to be very adequate for all their driving needs.
    How is the 3.0 weak? it goes 0-60 in 7.2-7.4 seconds depending on what review you read? That is tenths of a second slower than cars with 20 or more HP??? Also, didn't you know the Fusion/Milan have 6speed automatics? Of course to you the transmission issue with the Camry is "overstated" Get out on the net and look around.. its not "overstated" Toyota screwed up..

By the way with my Fusion SEL V6 I average 26.8 MPG. I was getting as high as 27.4!! Milan is classy and very stylish when set side by side to that ugly frontend of the Camry..
    Your getting a little testy sir. Consumer Reports calls it 0-60 at 8.0, a long haul from 7.2 Must be the lack of torque for being soooooooo slow. I did not know they had a six speed which is good to hear. Road and Track records the Camry at 6.1 and 99.9 in the quarter mile. Real world numbers for mileage are low 30's not upper 20's like the Fusion/Milan. I had the Avalon and now the Camry and haven't had the problems that others have experienced with the tranny. When something isn't right you always hear about it. Sooner or later the Ford and Merc products will have a perceived disaster too. I'll try and take it easy on you when it happens. I got up closer to a Fusion yesterday, it's avery nice car! Would have made the exhaust tips about half again as big, but it was very nice to look at. Enjoy your ride, just remember you'll be looking at my license plate if we ever meet:)
    0-60 times vary all over the internet and differ from review to review. Who do you believe? As a Camry owner of course your going to believe the fastest Camry time, me the fastest Fusion time I see. .8 seconds a "Long Haul" from 8.0?? Can you count to .8 seconds? Come clean now, the 6.1 you claime from Road and Track is for a manual Camry right?? Your not knowing the Fusion/Milan even offered a 6 speed auto shows me you don't research.
    You may take me in the 0-60, but I know I'll get you in the twisties.. ;)
    Didn't you say you are a salesman for the Fusion and Millan? I'm a banker and I don't think it was mandatory that I know your area of apparent expertise. I have always noticed that Consumer Reports times are slower than others. Truth be told, I think they rated my Camry at 6.5 vs. the Road and Track time of 6.1. How come you don't know that the V6 Camry doesn't come in anything but an automatic? Lets just agree to agree we both have nice cars and we like them for what they are. I'm happy for you that you like your Fusion/Millan, and I'm happy with my Camry. By the way, I like the front end, one of the reasons I traded my Avalon in, as I never liked the nose on it.
    No, I am not a salesperson for Ford/Mercury. I am however an educated car buff. 30+ years of cars, cars and more cars. Enjoy the history of cars, trucks, vans ect..
    I am an Engineer with a semiconductor company. I fix, modify, repair tools that manufacture IC's. Work on many types of automated/robotic systems.
    I did know Camry offers both a manual and an automitic with its V6. One thing Fusion/Milan owners are asking for and getting next year.
    I did more comparing of the Camry. I get down on Honda for thier pricing, I actually should be bashing Toyota! The invoice for a like optioned Camry is almost $3,000 dollars more than a like optioned Fusion/Milan! Ouch..
    But I guess if you feel the extra $3K is worth it, thats your choice. I'll spend my $3K on a nice vacation..
    I can agree both are nice vehicles.. no problem.. ;)
    The only engine Toyota has that has a manual transmission is the 4 cyl. None of the V6's are manual, at least not in a Camry. Do you mean the "triptronic or manu shift " feature that allows you to shift on the fly? Trust me I have had 34 cars in my 49 years and that doesn't make it a manual. The closest I have come is the 300C Hemi I had. If I put it in the "shift" mode, I can leave it there as it auomatically shifts to the next gear before the redline anyway. This is a feature that people think is cool, but I rarely us it. Its good in the winter if I need additional braking. Sounds like a big technical job you have?!?! I have a "x" brotherinlaw that went to Lawrence Tech in Michigan and he is a Robotics engineer. Really smart! You can take that as a compliment.

Ok, on to the next round. Does yours have a sunroof, heated seats, traction and stability control, a 444 Watt JBL 6 in-dash CD player, with MP3 and bluetooth technology, reclining back seats, premium leather, Michelin Tires, sun shade, and 4 wheel vented ABS? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. My sticker was 29,397 but I got it for 27,750 which was $500 over dealer invoice. I look forward to your list of goodies, ha :)
    "Ok, on to the next round. Does yours have a sunroof, heated seats, traction and stability control, a 444 Watt JBL 6 in-dash CD player, with MP3 and bluetooth technology, reclining back seats, premium leather, Michelin Tires, sun shade, and 4 wheel vented ABS? Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. My sticker was 29,397 but I got it for 27,750 which was $500 over dealer invoice. I look forward to your list of goodies, ha "

I own a Ford Fusion SEL V6 in Frosted Silver with every option available. I have a heated black leather seats. The seats are stitched in white giving them a very rich look. I have a sunroof, a 6CD in dash CD player, Michelin tires, 4wheel vented disc brakes with ABS... I have traction control. Granted I don't have stability control or MP3/bluetooth. You ready for this.. don't cry now.. I paid $23,000.... :cry:

So, I guess you can justify the extra $4,750 you paid how???
    I was the Ford/Mercury sales guy (by the way) And options for price was a bad idea to bring up if you plan to win this arguement. :P

For purposes of comparison, I'll go with the "Premier" package for the Milan. It has everything you quoted, EXCEPT for the reclining rear seats and the bluetooth. However, its MSRP is 24,620 and if we sold it for the roughly 2k off that you got it would be put down to 22,500-ish. So I think you can get some neat toys for 5K+ to make up for the missing bluetooth and reclining seats.

Also, the Shaker 6-Disk in dash CD is 600 Watts. You didn't list a trip computer, I assume yours has that too. Tells you current MPG, How much to empty, etc. And your climate control is automatic right? You set the digital temperature and it automatically reads the interior and exterior temperature and adjusts accordingly? Oh, and you have Satellite radio on your stereo too right? Pre-installed with a year of free service?

Just want to make sure we're comparing apples to apples here. :shades:

Edit: By the way, what kind of warranty does that Camry carry again? Ford just upped the Powertrain warranty to 5 year/60k on it's 06'+ models.

Thanks!
    I don't have stability control or MP3/bluetooth.

You should have MP3. Basically all the CD decks put into fords for the 06-07 model year have MP3 readers. Also, some models of 07' have audio input jacks in the center console for plugging in MP3 players. And if you get the Ipod package it have a built-in dock for your Ipod (Not really needed but fun anyway.) :D
    Plus with Milan/Fusion you get a larger trunk and it has the strut/linkage hinge mechanism that does not infringe on useable trunk space, unlike Camry which has the old tech gooseneck hinges.

Gotta have enough trunk space!

Additionally, with Milan/Fusion, you don't get the chore of reading through over 1300 posts in the "2007 Camry Woes" discussion! :)
    Must be $23K is all they can get for them,ha Just kidding. you don't like my front end, and I think black leather stitched with white looks cheap, but thats just my feeling, I'm glad you like cause it's your fanny sittin' on it. Granted $4,750 would buy you a nice vacation. But then there will be those lingering fix-it bills when you pass 50,000 miles. They do add up fast. Does yours have dual exhaust? I'm sure if it's the six it would. Why didn't they make them more noticable?
    Well they've sold thousands of Camrys....what are they up to in Fushion/Milans 200,300? Your woes will mount..its a FORD! Ya the old gooseneck system blows for sure...always hitting my golf clubs.
    "But then there will be those lingering fix-it bills when you pass 50,000 miles. They do add up fast"

I see your feeling a bit squeemish.. I would to If I just realized I paid almost $5,000 dollars more for what?? Oh, about those repair bills you claim are going to happen. I heard these same stories from folks just like you about my 95 Ranger, and my 01 Ford Escape. Ranger went to 102,000 miles, no issues, Escape went to 77,000 with no issues.. Now, about those repair bills?

Yes, I do have dual tip chrome exhaust tips..

take a look at my beauty..http://www.carspace.com/scape2 :shades:
    i'll take a look and get back to you. Did some more research last night. Why is the Milan V6 210 hp and the fusion 221hp? Seems a little strange. You must be "touched" to not have any problems with a Ranger or Escape. I had a buddy that had a Ranger for about 12 years, he never had problems either. The escape has had some issues, but you sound like you got lucky. $23K for a car like you got is a heckuva buy for sure. It's a great looking car, but I just can't buy a domestic car anymore. At least mine was made in the USA by union workers.
    It's a really nice car for sure. Lots of auto for $23K. You should darken the windows with a tint! Makes it richer looking. Wheels look fabulous, sorry I don't have 17's! Enjoy the ride, i'll blow you away in the straits, but I'll be looking for you in the "twisties' !
    My 2000 FORD Taurus (yes it is Duratech equipped) is just approaching 60,000 miles, and no problems yet and my 1990 Taurus went ten years, and except for an AC repair, a radiator and a starter, only routine maintenance was required on it. Sold it at 98K and ten years, mostly because I wanted something new, not because it was unreliable.

Fords don't fold at 50K miles.
    Keyword here .. "ASSEMBLED" in the USA. Hate to burst your bubble even further. But most of the tooling (machines)and support in your Toyota plants are from Japan. Been there I know.
    I know my Fusion is "ASSEMBLED" in Mexico. Heck, even the transmission is from Japan ;) . But hey the majority of the parts do come from USA and the profits come back to the USA. I did some research on the Hermi plant in Mexico and its pretty impressive. Ford has invested some big $$ down there. Plant is very effecient, clean and work force is top notch.
    I don't believe any Toyota plants or Honda plants are union. I'm going to do some asking around about this one. Japanese don't like unions too much. It goes against their philosphy of how management and worker should work as one to work towards a given goal.
    Oh, I also got 0% financing for 60months on my Fusion, and the dealership gave me $10,000 for my Escape..Your a banker right? Do the math, figure out what I saved in interest, along with what my payment is.. sorry to rub salt in the wounds.. :sick:
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I would prefer a Mercury Milan over a Toyota Camry based on my personal experience with a NEW Toyota. My 2006 Toyota Sienna LE had a 2nd row bucket seat installed wrong at the factory and it could not be removed or moved to the alternate position because of this defect. :sick:
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    I hardly see any new Mercurys on the road. The only Mercury I see is the Grandpa Marquis. I have yet to see a Mercury Milan although I have seen quite a few FORD FUSIONS.
    I hope badger fan makes you from Wisconsin. I got my master there about 3 years ago, a great school and Madison is a great town. You got lucky with your Fords! I've had 3 Mustangs and 2 Ford Windstars, and had numerous problems with them all. Happy for you though.
    They offer 0% for a reason, they wouldn't sell otherwise!!! You'll never see Toyota credit doing it, because their cars sell on their own, they don't need interest subvention programs to make people over look the fact there are much better choices than what their offering. Good for you that you got 0%, it will save you big bucks after the warranty expires and you start having repair issues. Or better yet you can start now and set aside for an extended warranty, better go for their best plan. I am not pro-union, have been in one, and frankly nothing has caused more inflation over the last 40 years than trying to keep all the "workers" happy with a new contract. I know their needed, but it has added huge money to the costs of goods and services. I'm sure this spark some real vehemence from people. On to round 3.
    Go ahead and buy a Mercury Villager and let me know how it stacks up against the Sienna! The Sienna is top ranked by everybody, you have a minor seat problem and think its inferior to a Mercury. You have to be kidding!!! The Milan is a great car for the money, but no Toyota Camry. I wish you good fortune and safe driving.
    Oh please.. please stop praying to the Toyota god..
    :sick:
  • seatttlegirlieseatttlegirlie Member Posts: 1
    I have to make a quick decision on buying a new Milan this week. Right now they are offering such a great deal with 0% for 72 months and I'm getting it at a great deal because of knowing the owner of Lincoln Mercury Mazda...I've driven a Honda Accord for 6 years and have had some problems, but for the most part its been a great car. Advice? Needing more input on the Milan's! Thanks!
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    Im trying to make a decision to trade in a 2006 Honda Accord EXL 4 cyl. And get a Millan or Zephyr because of the 0% interest rates. I could get my Payments down and Save. Any Opinions please help me out. Must move on it this week.
This discussion has been closed.