Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

1101112131416»

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    No 3rd row in the Edge
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Try a Taurus X or a Mazda CX9 if you want a 3rd row.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    there's a taurus with a 23rd row?! wow... they are normally ugly - but the latest model doesn't look that bad....

which mazda is the ford edge identical to?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's not identical to anything. The Edge and the CX-9 share the same platform but it's not identical by any means. More like cousins than siblings.
    Taurus X is the new name for the Ford Freestyle wagon. It got a new powertrain too, though (3.5l and 6EAT to replace a 3.0l and CVT).
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Cargo space is nice. There is plenty of room in the 1st and 2nd row. It is very roomy and comfortable. You don't get a third row. I didn't need one. If you want a 3rd row I would look at the CX9.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    Consumer Reports really liked the Ford Taurus "X", even when it was the Freestyle.

With the new V6 and 6 speed ATX it is probably a pretty nice ride and it would get better gas mileage than the Edge.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The Taurus X now has the exact same powertrain that the Edge has. Since it weighs more, I would suspect that the X does not get better mileage than the Edge.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The Edge and the CX-9 share the same platform but it's not identical by any means. More like cousins than siblings.

Distant cousins, twice removed is more like it.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    wow - i just saw this taurus x - is it the freestar revisited?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think you mean "Freestyle, revisited." And yes, it sort of is.

Think of it as less of an "All-New Car" and more of a mid-cycle refresh.

New powertrain, better ride quality/noise isolation, and new(ish) styling.
    I agree, but I was a bit surprised at the Consumer Reports reviews. Many of the measured performance results improved considerably for the Taurus X.

They must have re-tuned the suspension as well, I suppose.
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    Now go test drive one!!!!! Feel the power & comfort & the room for yourself(bring someone for the back seat )Don't believe those consumer reports.. Proud owner since Aug.. & blows my Ford Explorer experience away.. GO EDGE :D
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I have an Explorer and would consider the Edge for a second car...what kind of mileage are you getting? From the specs it does not seem like much of a difference then the Explorer which would be a deal killer on a second car for me.
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    I averaged 22.3 going to the Sierras last week, Hwy is up to 24 & city around 20, what year is your Explorer & your gas mileage...
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer V6...get around 14 City and up to 22 hwy. This is driving with a really light foot.
    You should see 17-19 city and at least 25 hwy.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    Statistics in the hands of the media are like a lamppost to a drunk—they're used more for support than illumination.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    it has about 34.5k on it. it is an awd se, so fairly basic. the drivetrain seems pretty good, quiet,smooth. the driver seat is really comfortable. i bought a fusion about 3 months ago, but i would have put more thought into an edge, if i had sat in the driver seat. i had been in the passenger seat before.
    the tires really suck. new hankook's. they have 2 different noises they make on the highway, especially @70 mph.
    there is a lot more rear seat headroom without the vista roof.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    They ditched the Hankook and Continental tires on the 08s - they come with Michelins. At least the 18s and 20s versions - not 100% sure about the 17s.
  • weinerdowndogweinerdowndog Member Posts: 13
    I am trading in my Mercury Mountaineer 2006 AWD V8 for something with better gas mileage. I'm giving up the 3rd row seat for a lower payment. Which of these is better? I want one fully loaded with everything but dvd entertainment pkg. help! I'm looking at the Ford Edge Limited and the Mazda CX7.
    Consider the payment difference there, too. The fuel economy isn't going to be THAT much better than your Mountaineer if you are still going with a 2 ton SUV.
    We traded a V8 Aviator for an Edge Limited. We went from 19-20 hwy to 23-24 hwy and from 15 city to 17-19 depending on traffic. Not huge but a significant bump.

The CX-7 is smaller and sportier but the Edge has Sync and assuming the rest is either close or not important to you I'd go with a Syncified Edge (actually, I already did!).
  • weinerdowndogweinerdowndog Member Posts: 13
    do you have the AWD on your Edge? also what type of gas does it use? regular I hope.
    FWD. All Edges use 87 octane fuel.
    2008 and later CX7s also can use regular fuel. In 2007 they required premium, but not any more.

Also consider the RAV4 V6 and the Forester XT. Those are quick and relatively efficient for the level of performance they provide.
    They don't require premium but they won't get the advertised HP or mileage either.
    The CX7 was actually re-tuned, so I'm not sure if that's still the case.
    While we're at it, let's look them up...

EPA assumes both turbos will be using Premium and that it costs 24 cents more than Regular, and they estimate annual fuel costs for AWD models at....

RAV4 V6: $2,670 (on Regular)
    Forester XT: $2,842 (on Premium)
    Ford Edge V6: $3,119 (on Regular)
    Mazda CX7: $3,319 (on Premium)

So with that handicap the Mazda takes a serious hit, but the Forester is fuel efficient enough that it will still save you hundreds per year on gas compared to the V6 Edge AWD even if you do use premium fuel.

Of course, the fuel miser of the group is the RAV4 V6. I have that powertrain in my Sienna, and the engine is a gem. The transmission is only so-so. I do beat EPA numbers easily in my van, too.

I believe above I had suggested a RAV4 V6 and a Forester XT as alternatives, so I'll stick to my guns and say you should try those.

We ended up with a Forester Limited, not the turbo, and that thing has been great on fuel. It's no turbo but performance is more than adequate. EPA says it'll cost $2553 per year to fuel up, just for reference.
    It all depends on how they were tested. If they recommend premium then they were probably tested with premium. If they recommend regular but say premium is optional then the numbers are probably correct for 87 octane.
    The EPA uses the recommended fuel, so for the numbers above both turbos burn premium fuel. The site says so specifically, even estimating prices for the fuel.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm
    So if you run regular the knock sensor will be forced to retard the timing to compensate which will reduce power and fuel economy slightly from the advertised figures achieved on premium.
    Yeah, but probably not much.

When Subaru's H6 came out and they recommended premium, it made 212hp on 93 octane. Subaru stated the power output with 87 octane was 208hp.

Not all that significant.

It might be a tad more with a turbo, but both the CX7 and F-XT have plenty of power, so I doubt they'll feel slow at all.
    It's not the power difference - that's minimal and would hardly be noticed except under WOT. Fuel economy would also be lower by 1-2 mpg in most cases.
    Dunno about 2mpg, but I'm sure it would drop a bit.

Any how, even if you put premium in the Forester you will save hundreds per year on fuel costs vs. the Edge V6, so the price of gas shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.
    Any how, even if you put premium in the Forester you will save hundreds per year on fuel costs vs. the Edge V6, so the price of gas shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.

That's what happens when the Ford weighs approximately* 700 lbs more than the Subaru. They're just in different classes altogether. The Edge is more Tribeca-sized.
    True, but the Tribeca offers a 3rd row.

Also, inside, besides width, the Forester doesn't really sacrifice much useable space.

The Forester is a lot more space efficient than the Tribeca, FWIW.
    Ok, a Murano competitor then. ;)

The Edge is really roomy (and I know roomy, at 6'5"), and three across do actually fit in relative comfort in the third row.
    You mean 2nd row. :shades:

Yeah, that's where the Tribeca beats the Forester - seat width. It also has a 40/20/40 split seat, so it fits 3 individuals much better than the Forester does.

Still, if the buyer puts a priority on performance and wants to keep fuel costs down, the Forester XT is an option for that buyer.
    No doubt; I was simply trying to point out that the Edge and Forester really don't compare directly sizewise (not in the sense that the CX-7, RAV4 etc. do). In the sense that they are 5-pass CUVs, they do, however.
    Yeah, strange comparo thread, really. The CX7 is sort of small, probably Forester-sized, if that. I'm sure the Subaru has a lot more cargo room. Mazda went for style over space.
This discussion has been closed.