Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Interior Issues

willcherylwillcheryl Member Posts: 4
Has anyone purchased a good back support? I have a new Town and Country and find the drivers seat very uncomfortable. I have tried everything to help my aching back and am now looking into a padded back support of some kind. I am looking for something with mid/upper support as well as lumbar support. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone ever tried the Moller back support?? Thanks!!

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Good question. Poor lower back support is the only complaint I have with the 2002 T&C LX. It will be interesting to read the feedback you receive.
    By comparison, my son's 2001 Ody EX and my 2006 Sienna LE have an almost perfect seat for lower back comfort.
  • gpotts1gpotts1 Member Posts: 1
    I just switched out my broken mirror on the passenger side of my 01 chrysler town and country. I am having a problem locating the spot to plug in the new mirror under the dash so I can have my heater and my power mirror function. Any ideas where this thing plugs in. I know that I have to drop the glove box to get to it but I am struggling to find where to plug it in.
  • gazza1gazza1 Member Posts: 1
    gpotts1, I beleive the '01 T&C is the same as my '02 GC. On top of the dash, where the 2 sections meet, push a flat prize bar into the join and pull up the section nearest the windshield. you'll find the electrical connector right at the front corner by the windshield.
  • dwink2udwink2u Member Posts: 2
    Purchasesd a console on ebay to install in my van. Husband looked at instructions and said no way - have it installed. Directions were not very clear - illustrations only and NO written instructions!

Just called dealership and they said about $380 to install IF they had to drill holes - they don't know if holes are "factory" or not.

Any suggestions? I think this is an outrageous amount for what is most likely a 1 hr. job for them.

TIA,

Deb
  • normtylernormtyler Member Posts: 1
    I have a replacement side-view mirror ((power/heated) that I expected to pretty much just pop into place, but the goofballs decided to bury the connector somewhere in parts unknown. Googling get's me lots of places to buy more mirrors but no help on how to actually put it on. It seems simple I just don't want to dig into my dash any more than neccessary to find what someone here might already know... Where the heck is the connector and how do I get to it? any links to pics would be great.

Thanks!

Norm
  • ready1ready1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the same situation. Did you find how to get to the connection? I tried prying up the forward part of the dash, as suggested in this forum, but all I could see was the speaker wire. The mirror wire appears to go somewhere inside the padded part of the dash, but I dont see how to open that up.
  • ready1ready1 Member Posts: 3
    I found the connection. The description of how to reach it was accurate. You stick a pry bar into the seam on top of the dash, and pry up. The part of the dash closest to the windshield pops out of its clips. You have to free up the right hand side of the piece, which hooks under the trim piece that is mounted on the door pillar.

The mirror connection is located immediately behind (toward the rear of the car) from the speaker. You can also reach it (barely) by prying off the cover piece located at the end of the dashboard (the piece that you can access only if you open the door). You have to work your hand deep in to get to the connector.

Note, this is on a 2003 T&C LXi
  • dmanpearldmanpearl Member Posts: 1
    Chrysler Town and Country 2006
    Stow-n-Go
    Our Front Driver seat electrical power buttons have stopped working.

Passenter seat works. Both seat heaters work. All dash lights work correctly. All plugs underneath seat seem to be plugged in solid and properly seated.

We do not have an owner's manual (stolen).
    Please tell me which fuse to check and where it is located.
    I would really appreciate an eMail diagram of fuse box layout descriptions to david_manpearl_at_hotmail_dot_com if anyone can easily scan the appropriate page of the Owner's Manual.

Does anyone know why the power seat buttons may have stopped working?

- Thanks, David Manpearl
  • xmanmtaxmanmta Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 3.8 AWD with abs, 4 wheel discs T/C and would like to know when you have the van in PARK do you have to depress the brake paddle to move the column shifter into DRIVE? My van will go into gear without doing so. If so, and I have to press the brake paddle, how can I fix this?

Also does the front seat belts lock when braking hard, or when pulling the front seat belts themselves real fast when seating in the seats?
  • flavifeflavife Member Posts: 20
    My 1999 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L does not require the brake pedal depressed to shift out of Park. My new 2007 Town & Country does have the "Automatic Transaxle Ignition Interlock System" which makes it mandatory to press the brake pedal to shift out of Park. My understanding is that Chrysler was one of the last companies to adopt this standard.

My front seat belts on my 1999 Grand Caravan will lock up if braking hard or if I pull the belt real fast when sitting in the seat.

Frank
  • xmanmtaxmanmta Member Posts: 4
    Thanks!!! about the PARKING Brake. And now I known something is wrong with my front Sit belts not locking up.

Steven
  • flavifeflavife Member Posts: 20
    Steven

To make the seat belt lock up, mine requires a very fast pull on the shoulder belt to make it lock up. I have also noticed when going about 25-30 MPH on a very bumpy road that they can lock up easily with a mild pull on the shoulder belt.

Frank
  • joeywickjoeywick Member Posts: 1
    I have an intermitant fault on fuel injection system, can run for a number of weeks then blows the fuse on the injection system . If you then replace fuse imediately keeps blowing but give it 24hrs and it works fine. The Guys at the garage dont seem to be able to find a fault and are testing all the relavant electrical parts , anyone got any ideas what it might be?
  • luvrealhorsesluvrealhorses Member Posts: 2
    2008 T&C is overall very nice, has a lot of new features that are very well thought out, fun and very mush an improvement over older styles, and any other on the market at this time. It is a pleasure to drive. Unfortunately, two issues of concern. Does anyone have experience with the auto 3rd row seat in 2008 Town and Country. By 2nd day, the mechanism broke, leaving seat halfway closed. There is no manual overide, so basically the 3rd seat is unusable until can be fixed, and since dealer is over 100 miles away, this is very inconveniant. Also, average gas mileage per gallon is 12.5! Worse than our V8 Suburban!! Any advice or other experience. I am tempted to return and wait for a model without the auto 3rd row. What use is a mini van if you cannot use the seats? Also, what can be done to improve gas mileage. This was with highway figured in, and driving same as with Suburban and Intrepid.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    How many miles are on the van? You might consider disconnecting the battery for a while to let the ECU's memory reset. That way, you can start with a clean slate and let the van "learn" your driving habits, etc. Unless you are driving extremely short trips or they are uphill both ways, that mileage is intolerably bad.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • luvrealhorsesluvrealhorses Member Posts: 2
    There is only about 300 miles on the van. We have an appointment tomorrow to look into the third row auto seat. We had been told by a few people that there were problems with the auto seat, but now they insist the problems were fixed with all newer cars made the last couple of months. Obviously there is still a problem, and if there was any way to manually move the seats when the auto doesn't work, it would not be that bid of a problem. Auto seats were not an option we really wanted, but unfortunately, to get a van with some of the other options we wanted, they all had the power seats, 3rd row. We were also told that with the newer engines we did not need to 'break' in the engine the first 1000 miles (not going over 55 or fast accelerations etc.) Whether this really makes a difference, were not sure. I do have to say, everything else is great!! What an incredable nav system, entertainment system, safety, lighting and conveniance additions really make for an overall great vehicle. Thanks for your advice
  • cashewfenicashewfeni Member Posts: 5
    The auto third row in my T&C was doing odd things one day.Upon closer inspection, it appeared that a plastic sheet from a wrapper had gotten into the floor anchor that the seat was trying to grab. I removed the sheet and all was well. I was determined to buy a van with manual third row, solely because of the "the auto mechanism is more likely to break" thought - but changed my mind at the last minute and bought the auto one. I guess it is possible that the manual one could break too...right? One big concern I have is that the belt buckles get pressed hard against the leather seats when the seats are folded. I feel it is likely the seats will tear over the long term. For this reason, I use the third row in the seating position.

I get between 17 and 24.3 MPG...along the lines that have been advertised.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    The problems may well be fixed in the vehicles made during the last couple months, but what is the actual date of manufacture on your van? I purchased a "new" car in early October, but it was manufactured in March! Just because you purchased it today does not mean it was made last week.

As for the mileage, give it a couple thousand miles to see if it increases dramatically. After 300 miles, that is just the first tank! All the moving the van does before it gets to you is extremely low mileage jaunts, and that can drag down the rest of the average for the tank.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • britsysbritsys Member Posts: 8
    We are on our 2nd 2008 T&C (25L-Swivel-n-go), long story in another thread - first one was a lemon that we returned. Before you take it back make sure you have a couple of months to wait for the dealer to replace it through impartial services. Its a nightmare. Take it back for a refund if you are not happy and start from scratch with a new card and a new deal.

We are getting roughly 25 mpg local driving with a little highway, finger crossed we have 500 miles with no issues or electrical failures so far. :)

Doug
  • minivangrandpaminivangrandpa Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2008 T & C Limited van in late November. I don't have the third row power seat so I can't comment on that issue. We filled up the van with 60 miles on the odometer and drove about 150 miles not exceeding 60 mph. As you know, this van has the 4.0 engine. We got 23.5 mpg. Although I've not checked the mileage around town, on the mpg fuel read out, I don't remember the m.p.g. at any time dropping below 14.5 so I expect the in town short trip mileage should be close to the window sticker 16 mpg. So far, I'm delighted with this van compared to the 05 T&C Limited van we traded. Thus far, I can say the ride, interior noise level, and handling to name a few attributes of this van, far exceed the 05' model. I read the recent Consumer Report article concerning the new Chrysler vans and wondered where they were coming from....handling and petty criticism of the quality of the storage compartment between the seats. I 've ridden in a 2005 and 2006 Honda Odssey and wasn't overly impressed and for that reason didn't consider a 2007 or 08 Honda Odssey. Hope your gas mileage improves.
  • marchatmarchat Member Posts: 1
    We've been looking at late model mini-vans and have found one well priced with everything we want except the stow&go 2nd row bucket seats.
    I know where I can get some decent OEM bucket seats. Does anyone know if its possible to replace the bench with buckets in a 07 Grand Caravan and what it takes to get it done?
  • civ1civ1 Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed this about my van after moving my daughter out of her latched child seat and into a big kid booster seat.
    The belt does not lock when I give it a quick tug. It works in the front seats but not the back 2 rows. This did not make me feel comfortable. Needless to say I put back the original car seat and called the dealer.
    I was told the seat will lock after I apply the breaks which I will test tonight.
    Anyone else go through this? I'm not too confident about the brake test. Are seatbelts a lifetime warranty thing? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • staciystaciy Member Posts: 8
    I have 1000 miles on my brand new van. My daughter wanted to download her ipod songs and after we tried this the nav went out! It says acquiring nav like before but it doesn't ever come up. Also the phone doesn't come on. Does anyone know if I disconnect the battery if it will reset? I will call the dealership Monday but I am really disappointed that something so simple as attaching an ipod could mess everything up. Thanks,
  • rmikolajczykrmikolajczyk Member Posts: 13
  • rmikolajczykrmikolajczyk Member Posts: 13
    Had a leak in rubber tubing going from fluid reservoir to rear wiper. Of course leak was at passenger side of windshield just under dashboard !
    Wasn't assessible to me, so took it in to dealer. Luckily it was only a $59 charge.