Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What is in a name?
    That which we call a Golf
    by any other name
    would smell as sweet.

Or... you could always yank the little rabbit off the back and no one has to know. ;)

Anyway, I always thought "Golf" was a silly name for a car. I mean, you don't see any cars named "hockey", or "basketball", or "la crosse". Oh. Never mind.
  • jwodaejwodae Member Posts: 11
    I think one good aspect about the name Rabbit is that when you say I want to take care of my Rabbit, it brings life in a car, vs. golf, or Accord, it is real a name of steel.

It is nostalgic and it's a good name. The kids may not have driven a Rabbit themselves, but they may have ridden in them and thus have memories. I think it;s a great name.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    > I mean, you don't see any cars named "hockey",
    > or "basketball", or "la crosse". Oh. Never mind.

Yep, Buick has picked up the idea. How about Polo and Derby? Incidentally, both by VW. Derby is long gone, but Polo is still in production. Volvo Cross-Country too is kinda sports name.
  • zuma4zuma4 Member Posts: 11
    Transmission came from Japan and all the rest are being assembled and made in Wolfsburg. 1 to 99 ratio. Why do I know this? friend of mine is actually a car salesman of VW. He helped me processed my application for Golf in 2004 and now I decided to trade it in for the rabbit.

Everytime I go visit the dealership I always examine the rabbit right even before the launhching date. most of the first batch are all coming from Germany and later edition will be coming from Brazil and Mexico. My freind literally showed me the inventory list of most modified Rabbit and they were all sold out!!! people already placed their reservation. That was why I was waiting 3 weeks for my rabbit because they had to order it from Germany! My car arrived at the dealership 2 days ago and I finally got it today!!

what can I say about the rabbit that now I am one of those first owners?? actually I am very speechless. i really don't know what to say because I am really overwhelmed by this car.

the total price of mine is 19890 dollars four door with sunroof and alloy wheels. original price is 21,310 but they gave me credits and bonuses because I only had 10k miles on my Golf Gls that I traded in plus I keep my payments on time.

as a matter of fact the Rabbit doesn't come with "ESP" but mine is actually came up with it as standard with no extra cost!! The interior looks great. It looks like a $30,000 dollar car on the inside. Everything was perfectly made and organized. very spacious it looks like 4 people can fit in the back seat. I am very impressed when I found out the the center part of the back seat is actually an arm-rest that can be folded so the 3rd or 4th person can lean back. You also have access to the compartment by folding it openly.
    I really like the moldings that they added on every sides of the car. It makes the rabbit looks expensive! driver seat can be adjusted electronically which is very cool. The in-dash 6 disc cd changer is awesome!!! there are 10 speakers. Automatic Trans with Tipronic and Sports mode are f$#@n cool. what I like the most is the 150 horses compare to the 115 old ones!

engine compartment is very neat,clean and organized. when I look underneath the car, I also notice that they have placed plastic covers so you don't see anything hanging!

it is a winderfull car. I think it will sell really good.

My freind from the dealership told me that next year VW will actually add a couple of thousand more to the current price tag because the current 14,999 and 16,999 dollars rabbit are too cheap to have those extra features as standards!!

I can say that the rabbit or golf is really cool and a car that has gone from a cute to sophisticated car! It is a true Grman engineering
    At $17.6-19.6k starting prices (assuming your friend is correct about the $2000 increase in 2007), the Rabbit will be overpriced IMO--considering that you can get a Fit or Versa for under $15k or a well-appointed Mazda3s for under $18k. If VW wants to stay competitive in this hatchback market, I think they are going to need to leave the pricing about where it is.
  • bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    I believe your friend is not correct about next years pricing, as VW already announced that pricing for 07 Rabbits is the same, and slightly lower on the entry level Jetta.
  • lary999lary999 Member Posts: 2
    The 2007 Rabbit is ideal for my needs; I've paid a deposit and my Rabbit is on its way. Here's a comparison with my 1990 Honda Civic hatchback.

1. Ergonomics. I'm 6'3", with long legs. In the Civic, I had to custom-modify the seat, moving the rails back 5"; my knees hit the steering wheel; the toes of my shoes (size 13) wouldn't even clear the bottom edge of the dash to fully release the clutch! By contrast, the Rabbit cabin is wonderfully spacious, with excellent ergonomics: an extended seat-track travel, tilt & telescoping steering wheel, and in general excellent clearance for my legs. All of this cabin space comes at a price, of course: the Rabbit is heavy.

The Rabbit has 2 big negatives:

2. Fuel economy. My Honda Civic gets 30/40 city/hiway, vs. the Rabbit's 23/30. This translates to an additional $2,500 per 100,000 miles, at $5 per gallon (a guess at future gas prices in the U.S.). I agree with previous posts, that the Rabbit is actually a mid-size car, heavier and therefore safer than my 1990 Civic. (I predict we'll see a 50+ MPG hybrid electric-diesel Rabbit within 3 years).

3. Reliability. My Honda Civic, after 16 years and 225,000 miles, has been stunningly reliable. Only one breakdown: a radiator leak. Total cost for repairs, beyond scheduled tune-ups, 2 timing belts, and normal wear (brakes, tires), has been less than $1,000. Difficult to believe, but true; even the clutch is original!

The Japanese Honda engineer is obsessed with reliability. As a consequence, the 1990 Civic (base model) uses "old" and "slowly-evolved" technology: a 4-speed manual transmission built on a 1980's production line; an engine that has slowly evolved from a 1973 design; a simple computer; heater cables & window cranks perfected over the past 50 years; nothing is power-assist or electronically controlled. Not exciting, but super reliable.

My 2007 Rabbit, in contrast, comes loaded with the latest engineering innovations and futuristic wonders: Triptronic AT, Bosch active steering, electronic keyless entry, power windows, electronic brake force distribution ... the list is endless. As a consequence, this brand new technology is still in the "prototype engineering development" stage, and it fails frequently. We've all heard stories from Golf owners where the driver's power window falls into the door well multiple times, the radio fails multiple times, and the transmission dumps its fluid, all while the car is still under warrantee. And we've all heard stories of "indifferent" VW service, where the dealer's technicians seem clueless. But this is a NATURAL CONSEQUENCE of the fact that the Golf/Rabbit is loaded with the latest technology: the VW engineers are so busy loading the 2008 vehicles with new technology (and shaking the bugs out of multiple new production lines scattered all over the planet), that they don't have time to evolve a reliable version of last year's technology.

As a consequence, I'm reserving $2,500 in a separate account, to pay for out-of-warranty Rabbit failures during the first 10 years and 100,000 miles.

In conclusion: With an estimated $5,000 excess operating cost, compared to the 1990 Honda Civic, the Rabbit is still a great bargain: just compare this to the cost of knee-replacement and hip-replacement surgery.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    In conclusion: With an estimated $5,000 excess operating cost, compared to the 1990 Honda Civic, the Rabbit is still a great bargain: just compare this to the cost of knee-replacement and hip-replacement surgery. :D

But the knee and hip replacements would not cost you anything, assuming you have health insurance. ;)
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    RE: "My 2007 Rabbit, in contrast, comes loaded with the latest engineering innovations... the list is endless. As a consequence, this brand new technology is still in the "prototype engineering development" stage..."

Since the Golf/Rabbit has been sold for 4 years now in Europe I'd hardly call it the "latest." Part of the problem with reliability lies with the NA dealer network and shoddy service, which lags European standards for VW.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    So I guess what you're really saying is that you want a car with more features than your Honda has now. You want to upgrade to a more technologically advanced vehicle with absolutely awful dealer service and reliability. Why not look at the other Japanese cars if you're happy with the reliability? If you need space and ease of entry try the Scion XB. My father in law has had 2 knee replacements and 1 hip job done and he is 80. He says it's the easiest car to access and exit that he's ever driven. Also it's about $4k less that the rabbit and has an excellent track record. Of the 5 co-workers of mine that own VW products from 1999-2004 models, 4 are so frustrated with the mechanical breakdowns and shoddy dealer service that they can't wait to dump these poor quality Mexican made cars off for other brands. 3 of the issues are electrical problems that the dealers can't seem to repair. The one co-worker that is happy with his car has a 2003 Golf diesel that was made is eastern Europe. When he took it in to the dealer for scheduled maintenance the service manager told him, "It's good you got a European made diesel because they're the only VW's that last, the other models are junk." That is not exactly the quality confidence that I look for when purchasing a new car. Good luck with your new rabbit.
    I fully aware of the hatchbacks competition. But why people always think that VW is competing against mazda3, toyota matrix, Honda Fit etc?

remember VW has sold more than 33 million Golf and Rabbit since 1976. and it is the 2nd best selling car in history. and VW Golf/rabbit continue to do well on the market.

So why would VW needs to go head to head against those car companies? they are on top of this and they will always be!!
    it is clearly that VW are not making hatchback Golfs/Rabbits with such semi-high class standards and add-ons and keep the price at 14-16k dollars in order to stay with the competetion. Instead, its VW promise that Golf or Rabbit is growing up, it's a part of revolution.I can really understand it because I finally own a new rabbit, and I used to own a 04 Golf GLS, driving both cars feels so different. when I saw and drove my car during its first hours under my name, I already felt the improvements. some kind of WHOA! or WOW! factor!! the change is very significant, I didn't even drive it for full performance yet but I felt the additional power. Let me say that If VW raise the price tag 19-20k 5 door with such features and im buying a rabbit today, I WOULD NOT HESTITATE! I would buy it! with a 19250 price tag on mine, I have no regret!

VW doens't need to compete against cheaper hatchbacks instead they will continue to make better rabbits or golf year after year after year! Golf/Rabbit is always the winner!
    By the way I drove my car to work in NYC on the next day I bought it. Driving it is so much fun.

the handling is extremely smooth I felt like I was driving a Lexus or infinity. I dodn't hear anything from the inside. it felt good inside very comfortable. I don't even feel the engine during speeding up or at idle or at full stop. very quite car!!

now that golf or rabbit has 150 horsepower compare to 115 old ones, it has no problem or dificulties during sudden acceleration or speeding up! it's very stable and fast. it upshifts so quick so the engine won consume more fuel or gas.

I have a co-worker who used to work for Infinity Delaership and now he works as asst. manager like me at work. I let him drive it. and he was so impressed. He asked me what "S" on the transimission stands for and I said "Sports" mode and it also works as manual if you like it. And i told him that I haven't even use the manual or sports mode yet and I told him to try it.

he was driving it on NJ Garden State Parkway, and when we saw that the road was clear ahead he decided to activate the "sports" mode. before activating it our speed was 55 mph with the "Sports" mode it went from 55 to 80mph in just 3 sec! we were like, whoa!! what the f*c*! it went so fast just like that with out difficulties the engine sounds great with no problem. very stable!!!

so far so good with the new rabbit under my name. I think Im going to enjoy it for the long run!!
    my co-worker owns a nissan 350Z but when he drove my rabbit he was extremely impressed and enjoy driving it.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    "I fully aware of the hatchbacks competition. But why people always think that VW is competing against mazda3, toyota matrix, Honda Fit etc?

remember VW has sold more than 33 million Golf and Rabbit since 1976. and it is the 2nd best selling car in history. and VW Golf/rabbit continue to do well on the market.

So why would VW needs to go head to head against those car companies? they are on top of this and they will always be!!"

Ummm. Your post makes no sense. The truth is VW lost their way over the last few years by trying to move towards a more upscale market (Phaeton, Toureg, Passat W8, etc). The truth is VW makes beautiful cars inside and out but did not focus on reliability or customer service and have lost sales as a result. VW is not even close to being on top, and it seems that they are waking up and trying to get back into the game. VW is at a critical junction right now as sales have been flat for several years and companies like Toyota and Honda are raking in the $$ on their entry level vehicles like the Civic, Corolla, Fit, and Yaris (and Prius for that matter).

While renaming the Golf to the Rabbit is nothing really significant, it shows me that VW is trying to start over again. They have lowered the prices on the Golf/Rabbit/Jetta lines and added some great features. But they are a long way from leading the pack. They should have offered different engine choices and offered a model that achieved between 35-40mpg like the competition. Gas prices where I live are hovering at or above $3 a gallon, and many experts are predicting prices to hit $4-5 a gallon over the next couple years. I drive about 90% city driving and 22MPG is not going to cut it if gas prices remain high. This is why people are flocking to high MPG cars right now like the Civic, Corolla, Fit, Yaris, Prius, Mazda3, etc. I recently traded in my SUV that averaged 15-17MPG in the city for a Mazda3 which is getting close to 29MPG in the city..

The other two things that VW must improve on is it's reliability and customer service. They should learn from Hyundai/Kia and offer a 10/100K warranty and free loaner cars in order to rebuild their reputation. Nothing like putting your money where your mouth is...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    to place the Rabbit (and Jetta) in the market. Who is their competition? The VW fans would have you believe it is Mercedes and Lexus. Or at least Acura and perhaps Volvo. And that you are getting a little MB/Lexus/Volvo/Acura fighter at discount prices.

But whoa. Hold on there. The Rabbit is a fun little car, but it aint in those classes at all. The handling and ride are non-premium compact class, as is the road noise and whatnot. The interior appointments are at the top of the current crop of compacts, but the list of features is merely competitive.

And if you compare to the other compacts on the market, it is perfectly natural to compare things like reliability and fuel economy, areas where the Rabbit is weak.

No, reliability and fuel economy are not everything, and the VW interior is worth a shot despite these deficits. Plus, the handling, while not exceptional, does strike a good balance between sport and comfort.

But the "hey it's an MB at Toyota prices" argument wears a bit thin, I think. The Mazda3 hatch is probably this car's strongest competition. But the top-of-the-line Focus ZX5 and Matrix XR offer good counterpoints too. And MAYBE the Honda Fit Sport, although that is a more bare-bones car than the Rabbit 4-door.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• roller1200roller1200 Member Posts: 1
    actually, the local dealership here (I live in Florida) is giving me a deal on the 4 door automatic Rabbit. The guy said he could give it to be for $17,350 and I may just be able to bump it down another $500 because they have this price beating thing and I got a pretty decent price from another dealership in the area. I thought I could get it for less but I didn't realize they were going for so much in other parts of the country, I guess I finally found the upside to living in florida :)
    Are you a VW golf or rabbit owner or used to be?

VW already learned their lesson by making the rabbit, gti soon r32 some kind of cars that has finally grown up. I can say this because I had driven so many different cars now that I'm a rabbit owner they have added great features that you will find in 25-30k cars.

a car that went from 115hp to 150hp with tiptronic sports mode well polished interior. better handling, better acceleration. man you name it. so much different. it's grown up. better fuel mileage. mine has 30mpg combine(city/hh) that they need to improve.

They are doing the same thing with the gti's. the later version will come up with 5 door model as well as the new R32.

one example
    Why would I buy a civic that has a better mpg without a cd player, a/c as an extra option. why would I buy a mazda 3 that when I speed up on Garden State Parkway the engine sounds like it's thirsty and not stable.

I actually used to own a mazda 3. that one I hated so much. It was brand new but I spent so much money sending it to rapair shop because some things are not covered by warranty!!

What I was trying to say is that, quality is the difference here. those car you mentioned, after 5-7 years, they will begin to fall apart. I have learned my lesson in the past. Japanese cars are for sure cheapest compare to their American and European rivals. but After 5-7 years your repairmen at the dealerships will be your newest best friends. Im done with japanese cars. And I know this is not the case all the time.

when it comes to reliability and customr service, I myself is a VW customer for 3 years now and I had only one problem with my 04 golf gls but they treated me very well. when my car was accidentally hit by a snow plow truck, VW literally lend me a Jetta for 3 weeks for no charge until the repair on my golf had been completed. Relaibilty and outstanding Customer SVC does varies.

one thing I noticed vw's and other european cars are built to last!!
    500 dollars could be a DOC charge or maybe titles and registrations. my dealer never gave me a deal like that. they were very straight forward and extremely helpful. I traded in my 04 golf gls for the new rabbit with extra features. they did everything for me. all the paper work and transfer of insurance. everything!!

17,350 price tag on a 5 door rabbit is a good deal!! go for it!! I bet you you will love it!
    > So why would VW needs to go head to head against
    > those car companies? they are on top of this and
    > they will always be!!

Right. Apparently this is the reason why VW is retooling its factories, freshening up the appearance and pulling out some expensive stuff of the Golf in Europe. New Golf sales have slumped, Golf is losing to Astra, Focus, Mazda3 and Peugeot 307. New Golf is too sofisticated (therefore expensive) but not too different visually comparing to previous model that it is loses popularity in Europe. But maybe for U.S. the Corolla-looking Jetta and Mk4 looking Mk5 Rabbit will be good enough.
  • parkerjonparkerjon Member Posts: 14
    Funnily enough after looking around at the hatchback competition I concluded, factoring in fit/finish/leg room for my 6'-1" frame (which quickly excluded any of the Honda hatch products), power, price, that the only other car I would consider is the Mercedes B200. Upon hearing that the lease rate for the non-turbo 134 HP model was $100 CDN more/month than the Rabbit I didn't bother to inquire how much they charge for an oil change. (and bought a 4 door Rabbit)

Why have I bought 10 VW's in a row? they are fun to drive - and I can't afford the premium to drive a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi.
    I'm so jealous of you Canadians! You get all the best cars. Mercedes B200 indeed.

Among hatchbacks, the Golf/Rabbit has the nicest interior short of VW Group's own A3, that's for sure.

The handling and performance of the Mazda3 hatch with the 2.3L more than give the Rabbit a run for its money though.

Honda will sell a Civic SI four-door this fall, which at $21K will have all the equipment of the base GTI, the same power but much less torque, and razor-sharp handling. Makes me wonder how much money the 4-door GTI will base at, but then, the Civic is not a hatch. :-(

Ultimately, the Rabbit is a good value at its current price, which I understand is not increasing for the '07 MY that will begin shortly. It is one more flavor of car to round out the hatchbacks on the market today. For me, because fuel economy is a high priority, it falls out of the running, but it would be a top contender if not for that.

I will be watching on the sidelines to see if it is any more reliable than the gas Jettas and Golfs that have gone before it....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I don't know about the Mazda3....my pick for hatchback would be the Mazda6 "5 door", but this has a lot to do with appearance...it beats the VW on style points for me. I just do not care for the look of the squared off hatches.

The handling and ride of the Mazda6 seem comparable to the VW to me. The Mazda6 now seems about as quiet as the VW (there seems top have been a huge improvement in this regard from the 2005 Mazda6). For me, the seat in the Mazda is as comfortable (another huge improvement over the 2005) and perhaps even a bit more comfotable than the VW. VW wins on safety based on IIHS crash test and ESP. For me, VW also wins on the engine... the 5 cyl seems a bit more torquey than mazda's 4 and I do not want to go to the V-6.
    "Are you a VW golf or rabbit owner or used to be?"

I owned a 99.5 VW Jetta VR6. The Jetta and Golf share almost all of the same components and are very comparable. The problems that I had with my Jetta are the same problems Golf owners had as well.

"Why would I buy a civic that has a better mpg without a cd player, a/c as an extra option. why would I buy a mazda 3 that when I speed up on Garden State Parkway the engine sounds like it's thirsty and not stable."

Come on.. You cannot compare a Rabbit to a Honda Civic DX. That is unfair. Compare the Rabbit to a Honda Civic EX based on price and features. I have driven the 06 Civic EX and it is very comparable to the Rabbit. Not sure what you mean by the 3's engine being thirsty and not stable. While I would agree that the Rabbit is quieter, it is not nearly as fun to drive as the 3, and the 3 is not that loud.

"What I was trying to say is that, quality is the difference here. those car you mentioned, after 5-7 years, they will begin to fall apart. I have learned my lesson in the past. Japanese cars are for sure cheapest compare to their American and European rivals. but After 5-7 years your repairmen at the dealerships will be your newest best friends. Im done with japanese cars. And I know this is not the case all the time."

You are joking right? Your trying to tell me that a VW is more reliable than a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic? Have you looked through Edmunds, JD Power, problem boards, etc? My VW was by far the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. Just look through the problem boards. Mazda 3 owners complain about glove box rattles and VW owners complain about electrical issues or their car not starting.

"I actually used to own a mazda 3. that one I hated so much. It was brand new but I spent so much money sending it to repair shop because some things are not covered by warranty!!"

Sorry, but you are either not telling the truth here or you got ripped off. Mazda 3 comes with a 4yr 50K mile warranty. Anyway, I will not ask you for the details because this is not the forum for it.

"when it comes to reliability and customer service, I myself is a VW customer for 3 years now and I had only one problem with my 04 golf gls but they treated me very well. when my car was accidentally hit by a snow plow truck, VW literally lend me a Jetta for 3 weeks for no charge until the repair on my golf had been completed. Relaibilty and outstanding Customer SVC does varies."

It sounds like you are happy with the VW and had a good experience. Are you sure you did not receive a loaner for the repair work through the snow plow company (or your own) insurance? Usually this type of thing is handled through insurance companies not the car dealer. Yor VW experience is nothing like mine and many others. The reason that I have switched to Japanese (currently own a Mazda and a Honda) is for reliability.
    The new Rabbit with a diesel pulling 40 mpg and a price (4-door) staying under $20K base would be unbeatable.

Having said that, the configuration of this car to buy right now is the base 2-door model with no options but the alloy upgrade. For about $16K you get a car with all the bells and whistles and the nicest interior at the price. You just have to be aware you are trading mpg for pound-feet, which in the Rabbit are brimming over the top!

I still would probably be planning to sell at the expiration of the B2B warranty though - VW will need five years of solid reliability before I will trust them beyond the warranty.

• morrdbamorrdba Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone tried stomping on the gas at 90 mph in 5th gear with the A/C on? I couldn't believe the rush and torque that the 5cyl delivers! Again....more fun than you should be allowed to have at $10K less than a GTI!
    VW will need five years of solid reliability before I will trust them beyond the warranty.

Well, you get enough warranty to cover that study period...4 year bumper to bumper and 5 year power train and its mechanical twin (Jetta) has been out for over a year.
    How long has the 2.5 5cyl been around in the VW lineup?
    I think it is a US only engine so it first came out in the 2005.5 Jetta last spring...like March, so a little over 1 year.
    VW had to do something since the 115hp 2-liter caused oil to "disappear"! VW's official word was that "it was normal".....we'll see how the 5cyl treats oil!
  • toyotatacomatoyotatacoma Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering what guys think of this car. Also what girls think about guys with this car? I live in the south and its all about trucks here.

P.S. Is the ground effect kit worth it?
    First, you need to ask yourself if you want to go out with a girl who evaluates you based on the kind of car you drive.

Second, there is the line about how guys with big and/or powerful vehicles (vs. little hatchbacks) are compensating for other deficiencies. I don't know if women believe that or not, but it's worth thinking about.

I was driving one of the smallest cars on the road, a '85 Civic S, when I met the woman that I eventually married. In Texas.
    I think this car is more masculine than the Fit, Yaris, or Corolla..

Stay away from pink....

;)
  • bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone tried stomping on the gas at 90 mph in 5th gear with the A/C on? I couldn't believe the rush and torque that the 5cyl delivers! Again....more fun than you should be allowed to have at $10K less than a GTI!

Yes!
    It is truly fun and pins you back in the seat when you go at it.
    Edmunds needs to test a 5 spd stick, I cant believe they call the acelleration "adequate"...it feels a heck of a lot zippyier than my partners 06 Civic EX 5 spd.
    I bet the 2 door Rabbit 5 spd, will toast that estimate of 0-60 in 9.4 sec.
    Black, with the big hunkin' rims. Maybe red. Two doors (four screams "Family Guy").
  • toyotatacomatoyotatacoma Member Posts: 3
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. Black with ground effects and 17 inch alloy wheel package
    > Two doors (four screams "Family Guy").
    Me thinks not. Not to mention that Matrix XRS, Vibe GT, Mazdaspeed3, Audi A3, Dodge Caliber are available as 5-door only. 5 doors is a more convenient setup. Yes, for family too. But also for friends or for easier access to skis or serfing board on folded rear seat. And for busier cities with narrow parking spots.
    I have owned several two door sports cars, and they are definitely impractical if you frequently shuttle friends and family around. I had leather seats in one of my RX-7's and they would always be scuffed up from my friends shoes brushing against them as they climbed to get into the backseat.

If it is mostly you or one other person in the car, the 2 door should be fine. For resale, I would think the 4 door would be more popular.. The 4 door also comes with more standard features (at a higher price tag), so it may also be a question of budget and the options you are looking to have.
    5 doors is a more convenient setup.

I agree. But how many 4-door sports cars do you see? ;)

Actually, a woman looking to get married may appreciate a guy who has a 4-door. It shows his practical side and that he might be ready to settle down, have some kids and car seats etc. :)
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Volkswagen Rabbit TDI (Diesel) - when will we get it?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    So many topics - too many to be crammed into one discussion... a large number of posts were moved from this discussion to seed others on the Rabbit board. To be sure you don't miss any new Rabbit topics. Go to the Rabbit board http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0d8416/ and click the "Track this Group" link to the right above the discussions. (on return visits just click My Tracked Items to see what's new for you).

New discussions include:
    New Rabbit Owners - give us your report!
    Volkswagen Rabbit TDI (Diesel) - when will we get it?
    Volkswagen Rabbit oil changes
    Volkswagen Rabbit Stereo, Audio, iPod, AUX issues and questions
    Volkswagen Rabbit Reviews & News from the Pro's (CR, C&D, Edmunds, etc.)
    Volkswagen Rabbit MPG - real world numbers
    Volkswagen Rabbit Test Drive Reports
    Volkswagen Rabbit: Prices Paid and Buying Experiences
    "VW had to do something since the 115hp 2-liter caused oil to "disappear"!

It was also slower than dog poop, and yet without being particularly fuel efficient. :-P

VW should plan on selling like 50% TDIs once they solve the 50-state emissions problem.

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...to answer the original question:

Expect the new, electonically injected, 50-state compliant diesel to be ready for the 2008 model year, and on sale sometime in late [perhaps VERY late] 2007 - say 16-18 months from now.

More interestingly, they have also promised that we will finally see the dual-charge gasoline engines here [both a small supercharger and turbcharger on the same engine] about the same time. These produce prodigious power and torque from extremely small displacements [the one being offered in the EU right now is only 1.4 liters and makes nearly 170 hp], and deliver diesel-like fuel economy.

Suffice it to say that there should be many more interesting choices under the hood by early '08...but not much before that.
    >> 5 doors is a more convenient setup.
    > I agree. But how many 4-door sports cars do you see?

Curently produced and sold in U.S. are Subaru Impreza STi, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Audi S4 and S6.

My favorite sports car of late 80-ies, Lancia Delta Integrale, 5-door hatchback, turbo, all-wheel drive.

And if you compare, say 4-door Mazda RX8 with two-door Camaro, well, there is no comparison here.

A sports car is not defined with its body type, it is defined with what's inside.
  • fanikafanika Member Posts: 1
    Am I the only one who thinks that the only thing that would make this car more fun would be to add Interior lighting and under car lighting affects as an option?? ;)
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Dear All:
    I just test drove a 5-dr 2.5 Rabbit with 6-speed auto this afternoon when it was 90F outside.
    We had the a/c at its max, but seem to me the a/c isn't as quick and efficent as the Japanese competitors.
    Is it true in general that a/c is a strong event of the Japanese?
    Thanks.
    TTB
  • clownfishfunkclownfishfunk Member Posts: 7
    I've had my Rabbit for over a month now, which has definitely included many days that were 90 and above. I find the a/c works really quickly (usually not even on max) and my car is generally cool enough by the time I back out of the driveway. Maybe I just got lucky with my car, but I haven't noticed any major differences between my vw and my families honda, acura, or lexus.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I think one thing VW should seriously consider is making a US-legal version of the 1.4-liter I-4 Twincharger TSI engine rated at around 166 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) for the US market.

By carefully tuning it for US-standard 89 pump octane (NOT 91 pump octane) gasoline, the 1.4 TSI-powered Rabbit would have almost the same performance as the Rabbit powered by the 2.5-liter I-5 engine, but with definitely better fuel economy--maybe as much as 22-24% more.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I'm not sure about smaller engines automatically being more efficient, at least if you gear them for reasonable acceleration. In Europe they seem to have small, detuned engines that do get great mileage but are in 2,000 p-pound cars (a rarity these days) and are real turtles (0-60 in 13-14 seconds) vs. also small, but tuned for high performance, engines that don't get much better mileage than larger engines over here.

I think Europe and Asia get the smaller engines mainly because taxes are geared to displacement, not horsepower.

Over here, manufacturers aren't constrained by a taxation system biased towards small displacement, and seem to build "what's right," relatively larger engines with lower rpm and clever injection management (they can run really lean). Admittedly, the mileage of the 2.0 Focus hasn't historically matched the mileage really efficient Corolla, but in '07 it's jumped up a lot.

From personal experience since '66, the best gas mileage I've ever had comes not from my original '67 Beetle, nor from a supposedly high mpg 1.3 liter CX variant of the '93 Civic (which was about as slow at the Beetle despite the intervening 16 years), nor from any of my other small cars, including an ultralight Echo and the ultra small engineed xA (both a size smaller than the typical Civic sub-compact), but from a fat (3000 pounds), large displacement (2.2 liters), high horsepower and torque (145/150) Chevy Cobalt. Go figure.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I'm not sure about smaller engines automatically being more efficient, at least if you gear them for reasonable acceleration. In Europe they seem to have small, detuned engines that do get great mileage but are in 2,000 p-pound cars (a rarity these days) and are real turtles (0-60 in 13-14 seconds) vs. also small, but tuned for high performance, engines that don't get much better mileage than larger engines over here.

Car and Driver magazine recently drove the current European-market VW Golf three-door hatchback powered by the the 1.4 TSI engine and they commented that except for the slightly rougher idle compared to the 2.0 Turbo FSI engine, the TSI-powered Golf had surprisingly good performance, about the same throughout the rev range as the US-market Rabbit with the 2.5-liter I-5 engine. That tells me the 1.4 TSI engine won't be "flat footed" throughout the rev range. Indeed, I think VW is seriously considering selling the 1.4 TSI engine here, mostly because being a gasoline-fuelled engine getting CARB ULEV Level 2 and EPA Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions certification is pretty easy to do. :)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Then I take back what I said - this is an engine that might actually deliver on the promise.

I was very disappointed by the VVTi (variable valve timing with intelligence), trick muffler, DOHC 1.5 in my former Scion xA - what an underpowered motor, despite all the high tech tricks.

Another disappointment (albeit on paper, I don't and haven't owned one) is the Fit with an automatic - reported at 11.5 seconds for 0-60 by Motor Trend this month (supposedly the stick does much better).

And I can't counterbalance my disappointment in acceleration against improvements in mileage - the xA simply wasn't the highest mpg car I've had - 35 mpg isn't anything to sneeze at, but it isn't the 38-40 you'd expect from its weight, technology, and engine displacement.
    Any idea on the cost difference of the TSI engine vs. the 2.5 or the 2.0T?
This discussion has been closed.