Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• Options
    sharpedgeshurtsharpedgeshurt Member Posts: 28
    New EPA estimates were 19-28 on the '07 and 20-29 on the new '08. Old EPA on the '07 rabbit was 22-30. Just want to know what's on the sticker of the '08s.
  • Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    probably 23/31

even though 20/29 is only 1mpg better on both counts. hardly anything to get excited about.
  • Options
    i would imagine its a quite a bit heavier.

a further testament to vee dub for the mileage that they acheive.

a 2.0 diesel would be great...theres an even more powerful variant of it that makes more than 140hp. (i think its like 170.)

the tsi(turbo and supercharged) would be cool too; it would average about 35mpg and makes about the same power as the revised 2.5 but with more torque. all out of a 1.4 litre engine.

A N/A 2.0 wouldn't cut it though, the rabbit is a bit to heavy for an engine of that nature to feel peppy.
  • Options
    denverdavodenverdavo Member Posts: 38
    Hi Eldaino! You mean our 07 Rabbit's mileage estimates got downgraded by the EPA? How can they do that?
    How's your bunny doing?
  • Options
    hey man! she's doing good, gas mileage holding steady, already got 26k on her!

as far as the epa goes, all the cars are getting re-vamped, and the 08's will display this.

the thing is, in 2008, you won't be able to see what a 2007 sticker would have looked like unless you visit the fuel economy.gov website.

on that website 06-07 rabbits went from 22/30 to 19-28.

BUT, on the 08 rabbits with the revised engine, this number is 20/29. So if we could have gotten this engine in our bunnies this year or back in 06, the sticker would have read something like 23/31.
  • Options
    wfnaegelewfnaegele Member Posts: 10
    It keeps popping up in owners' reviews of the Rabbit that the speedometer reads some 10% fast [77mph indicated is actually 70mph] :( . Now, VW offers wheel sizes of 15", 16" and 17" for the car. Would choosing one particular size over another help bring speedo readings into line :confuse:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,204
    15", 16", 17" wheels all have the same overall outside diameter, once you add the tires. 17" use lower profile tires than 16", etc...

So, the wheels would have no effect..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Does the A/C work well enough especially when driving in slow city traffic?
  • Options
    always did for me, even if it wasn't exaclty 110, and more like 108. ;)
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    According to an article regarding VW's product plans, in the December issue of one of the popular auto magazines (sorry, can't recall if it was Automobile or Car & Driver), VW will not introduce the next generation Golf/Rabbit in the U.S. market. In other words, there will be no successor to the current Rabbit. If there's a Golf dirivative, it will be in be only in the form of a high performance V6, or maybe a turbo 4, but it'll be a performance car, and priced accordingly, and not a successor to the current Rabbit. That's disappointing, but let's see what else will be in the VW lineup.

The same aticle said the next Jetta will be larger and feature better styling than the current one. The article ahd comments on other VW models, smaller and larger than the current Rabbit.
  • Options
    townha11townha11 Member Posts: 13
    The 2008 Rabbit looks like a nice car, but I practically injured myself getting out of the backseat of the two-door. (Maybe it's my age and not the car design.) No one over 50 should ever have to ride back there.l
  • Options
    jbaustianjbaustian Member Posts: 78
    Did you try other 2-door cars from other manufacturers? Is the Rabbit that much different from others? And how was the roominess of the back seat?

Would you be the person riding in the back, most of the time?
  • Options
    shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    I have the 4-door version and my 66 year old father really liked the back seat of the Rabbit. Maybe a 4-door would be better for you?
  • Options
    sharpedgeshurtsharpedgeshurt Member Posts: 28
    Hey Jaxs1,
    I've had my 4-dr '07 Rabbit since July. I live and work around Southern California and a good number of days got above 100 degrees in the summer, and my Rabbit did just fine. With the seats originally adjusted to a pretty low height, the vents are awkwardly high, and it's kind of hard to get air going where you want it. If you're on your own in the car It's probably a good idea to close unused vents to get better air flow. Adjusting my seat height helped the slightly awkward placement of the vents a little bit, and overall I was never burning up when driving around in the heat.
  • Options
    I was looking at the 2008 Rabbit yesterday, at the LA Auto Show.

The 2009 models will probably cost a lot more, because of exchange rate fluctuations. And not many 2007 models were sold.

So in a year or two, I would not be surprised if used Mk5 Rabbits are selling for close to what they cost when new. The demand for used Rabbits is likely to be greater than the supply.
  • Options
    kutyafalkutyafal Member Posts: 27
    I just moved to Switzerland from the East Coast of the US and have been car shopping for some time now. Most recently I've tried several Golf Vs with different engines. The 1.4L TSI is a gem and I'm sure the 170 HP version is even better. I also tried a Golf+ which is based on the Golf V with a slightly roomier MPV style interior. This one had the 2.0L TDI w/140 HP. It was manual 6 speed and that engine scoots! There is a slight bit of hesitation in the beginning but once the turbo kicks in look out! It is also much easier to drive fast and nimble as a diesel than the 2006 Toyota 2.2 D4 diesel I had before. That one had 150 HP but the combination of throttle response, clutch and gearbox made it behave like a tractor. You can hardly tell the difference between the VW diesel or gas the way they drive. Except that the TDI will get the same low mpg in the Swiss Alps as on the flats.

I'd love to get that engine in the US. Before leaving I drove the 2005 Jetta diesel and it was a dog... I also drove the GTI DSG which I should've bought instead of bringing my 2006 V6 Grand Vitara. Talk about a gas guzzler!!! :cry: The GTI costs $15000 more here!!!! :sick:
  • Options
    townha11townha11 Member Posts: 13
    I did not try any other 2-door. I tried the Rabbit 2-door because it was the only Rabbit on the floor. While I wouldn't ride in the back seat very often, I did want to experience what passengers would have to experience back there. You're right, Shirotoi, the 4-door would be much more appropriate for me.
  • Options
    javiwearjaviwear Member Posts: 1
    I like many of you have been looking for a good economical car that won't break the bank. The VW Jetta TDI has been appealing to me because of its high MPG, 45/55 according to the newest models and yet below the hybrid prices. Well, today I went to the Portland Auto Show and saw the 2008 Golf TDI. Estimated MPG is mid 60's!! Thats about 15mpg better than Prius! The price......$14,995. Where do sign up!! Heres the big downer.......its only available in Europe. One thing I found out at the Auto show is that the economical cars are out there but the US won't allow them in because of emmisions, safety, and whatever other lame excuse they can think of. The Golf TDI headed for Europe is the same as the one currently in the US but with an 80hp TDI "Clean Diesel" engine, which actually emmits less carbon than the Prius. I don't know about you but I'm getting sick of the politics. We could have had an all electric car from GM, but they chose to be greedy and look where they are now. Toyota will pass them up this year. I guess we'll have to settle for the Jetta TDI for now.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    VW probably is not bringing those here becasue they feel they will not sell at a profitable price. IOW, it is mostly likely your fellow Americans that prevent you from being able to buy that 80 HP Rabbit TDI. Americans don't buy many hatchbacks to begin with and would likely consider that car to be underpowered.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    is the current Rabbit built? How about the previous generation Golf?
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    While the jetta and rabbit share parts, the jetta is built and assembled in Puebla, Mexico and the Rabbit is built in Wolfsburg, Germany. In fact, when the Rabbit was introduced there a few years back as the Golf, they names Wolfsburg "Golfsburg" temporarily.

The MKIV or or 1999-2006 golf was built there also! But also some in Brazil.
  • Options
    dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    I was told, at the St.Louis Autoshow, by a fellow who handed me a VW business card for a dealership just east of there that he expected TDIs in August. Too bad I don' t have a veedub dealer closer.
  • Options
    "The MKIV or or 1999-2006 golf was built there also!"

"There", would be.....Mexico, or Germany?

I would assume German-built models would have markedly better quality and reliability?
  • Options
    No, not really. The early New Beetles and Jettas built in Mexico had some problems, but by 2002 and 2003 -- when it was possible to directly compare Mexican Jetta sedans versus German Jetta wagons -- there was really no difference in build quality.

My Golf TDI was built in Brazil, and I don't have a single complaint about the build quality. The engine was from Germany, the manual transmission from Argentina, the only problem in the first 100k miles was a part made in Europe. All VW factories, anywhere in the world, use the same robots.

Furthermore, all Passats have been German-built, and I've spoken with some Passat owners whose cars are in the shop almost monthly. I don't really know what the problem is, I suspect it is inadequate training -- the dealer techs don't know how to troubleshoot problems so they get fixed on the first visit.
  • Options
    I would assume German-built models would have markedly better quality and reliability?

Why?
  • Options
    Gee, I don't know. Is Mexico, or Brazil the mecca for high-tech manufacturing?
  • Options
    For the Rabbit:Wolfsburg, Germany and Brazil
    For the Jetta: Puebla, Mexico

IMO, the A5/MKV/Current Jetta and Rabbits are very soild cars. They each have 2recalls and 11tsb. The speedometer being optimistic and a headlight ground. Compare that to an Audi A6 having recalls and 42TSBs!!

-Cj
  • Options
    Is there a TSB or recall on the spedometer? Ours reads high, but when I asked at the dealership about it, they said they could check it but would have to charge $50 if it turned out to be within specs...this was about 1.5 years ago though.
  • Options
    Sorry, the Rabbit has1 recall and 4 TSBS.. BTW, Yes, there is a TSB on the Speedo's being optimistic. BUt How would you know its optimistic?

Here's a link to the Recalls and TSBS. The Speedo is under TSB near the top.

I think all of this applies to jettas and rabbits including the 08s.

-Cj
  • Options
    We actually have a Jetta, but I see that TSB for the speedo is listed for it. However, both that and the one for Rabbit refer to "DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL". Our speedo is not digital, I did not think any were :confuse: ...or does that not mean what I think it means?

As for determining speed, one way is you can set your cruise and then time how long it takes you to cover a certain number of miles on the interstate where there are mile posts. An easy distance to use might be 20% of your speed...meaning if you are at 70 mph, check time for 14 miles and this would be 12 minutes (20% of an hour) if speedometer is accurate. To be accurate you would want to stay in the same lane for the whole distance.
  • Options
    Close. The speedo is there. Its Number 2 in TSB.

"Component Description:
    2. DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL Bulletin Number: 2012684
    Bulletin Date: MAY 2007

Vehicle: 2006 Volkswagen Rabbit
    Summary:
    SPEEDOMETER, INDICATED SPEED IS GREATER THAN THE ACTUAL VEHICLE SPEED. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021959 )"

"Component Description:
    5. DIGITAL INSTRUMENT PANEL Bulletin Number: 2012684
    Bulletin Date: MAY 2007

Vehicle: 2006 Volkswagen Jetta
    Summary:
    SPEEDOMETER, INDICATED SPEED IS GREATER THAN THE ACTUAL VEHICLE SPEED. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10021959 )"

They just used Digital Instrument Panel as a place of reference for filing but the Speedo is the defect.

So are the 0-60 times going to change?? I think its like 9secs for the 05.5-07 6AT and 8.5 for 2008 6AT 5Cyl engines only.

-Cj
  • Options
    jotunheimjotunheim Member Posts: 1
    I can confirm from the staff working the floor at the 2008 Chicago Auto Show, there are no immediate plans for a Rabbit TDI, though the gal did say that "eventually" TDIs will be available on all models.

As for the Jetta TDI, the dealers should have them as demo models in June 2008 with ones available for sale in August. Mileage was quoted at 45 city 57 highway.
  • Options
    dubbyfreshdubbyfresh Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2007 Rabbit. I was recently involved in a collision in which I was rear ended. I had the car fixed by a body shop with a great reputation, They did a great job as far as I can tell. I am still waiting on an in trunk trim peace that snaps in around the bottom part of the trunk in the back part. Anyways I started rain a lot a few days after I got the car back. I never had any leakage issues prior to the accident. I just noticed that the back support and the seat of the rear seats are wet, I cant find where the water is coming from. The headliner is not wet, neither is the trunk or the floors. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems, or if the trim piece that is missing may be the culprit.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dubbyfreshdubbyfresh Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2007 Rabbit. I was recently involved in a collision in which I was rear ended. I had the car fixed by a body shop with a great reputation, They did a great job as far as I can tell. I am still waiting on an in trunk trim peace that snaps in around the bottom part of the trunk in the back part. Anyways it started to rain a lot a few days after I got the car back. I never had any leakage issues prior to the accident. I just noticed that the back support and the seat of the rear seats are wet. I cant find where the water is coming from. The headliner is not wet, neither is the trunk or the floors. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems, or if the trim piece that is missing may be the culprit.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Does your Rabbit have a sunroof? If so, perhaps the drain hose was pinched or otherwise clogged as a result of the accident. It should be easy to fix.

If there is no sunroof, then probably one of the windows was improperly reinstalled.
  • Options
    ancient1ancient1 Member Posts: 2
    Octane requirements are related to altitude. At 5000 ft. 85 octane is acceptable
  • Options
    ancient1ancient1 Member Posts: 2
    Octane requirements are related to altiude. At 5000 ft. 85 octane is acceptable
  • Options
    allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    MkVI hatchback TDIs will be in the US before September next year. Whether that will be restricted to some exclusive, high-end model only, or applicable to all Rabbits, will largely depend on the economy and exchange rate.

Currently, VW has a hard time selling Germany-produced cars in the US at reasonable (marketable) prices, because of German production costs multiplied by the horrendous exchange rate.

Some of these factors will change in the upcoming months. The European economy is slowing down earlier and faster than anticipated. This means excess production - a good thing for the US market. It also means lowered interest rates, and in turn a slightly stronger US dollar.

Combined, enough of an incentive for VW to easily bring forward a special TDI hatch (the "GTD"), and perhaps even more. Stay tuned. :shades:
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Rabbit TDI is coming out in both regular and GT trims. It's coming out in Oct 2009 as an 2010. It will be the US version of the Golf MKVI. The new Rabbit will be more refined and more upmarket. This new model will have features that the Rabbit won't have. The Rabbit GT TDI will come out in Nov. 2009.
  • Options
    Will it be available with a manual, or only with an automatic tranny?
  • Options
    I would say both. You can get a DSG or a 6MT if you want. The DSG is like an automatic with a good manual mode.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It looks to me like VW uses the same exact chassis for the Jetta as the Rabbit. Same Wheel base etc. Is there any advantage to the Rabbit other than different styling? I was hoping for a 60 MPG+ vehicle.

PS
    Are they putting that engine in the New Beetle as well?
  • Options
    They are the same, take off the trunk and put in a hatch and the Jetta is the Rabbit.
  • Options
    No not until the next generation new Beetle. The MKVI Jetta won't come out until MY2011. It's pretty much the same vehicle.
  • Options
    It also looks like the 2010 VW rabbit will get factory iPod integration via the MDI. The MDI only works with the RNS-510 navigation system in the USA. VW is also planning the RCD-510 and the RCD-310 non nav radios. The RCD-510 is just like an RNS-510 sans hard drive but has a 6 CD changer. It also supports the MDI. With the iPod cable the MDI will fully integrate with the iPod. All RNS-510 equipped VW's get the new MDI but of course the iPod cable is separate. I could see the MDI as an option on non nav VW's. The MDI also supports USB and Aux provided you have the right cables.

The RNS-510 is the new touch screen navigation system that actually gives the Garmin's and Tom toms of this world a run for it's money. So are the aftermarket in dash solutions. The RNS-510 supports backup cameras and bluetooth. VW made a revision to the RNS-510 that has the mute button swapped for Phone. That means VW is working on a factory bluetooth module. This new rabbit looks like it will be a great car.
  • Options
    backhoebobbackhoebob Member Posts: 9
    Whattayouknow about the Polo Turbo diesel (70 mpg). Will we be seeing it anytime soon.
    Bob
  • Options
    Don't think it will come here. There will be a cheaper VW but who knows.
  • Options
    I don't know about the diesel, but I just saw in Automotive News that VW has decided that it will bring the Polo to the U.S. ...possibly building in Mexico. Didn't look like there was a set date, but looks like a good possibility.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If they bring the Polo TDI it will beat anything sold in the USA for mileage. It is rated 62.8 MPG UK which is 52.3 MPG US combined. I could be happy with that as a runabout.
  • Options
    The next generation Polo is coming to the states for MY11. The Rabbit TDi will probably have the 140 HP engine with the GTD getting a 170 HP version. They might just use the 140 in both of them and make the GTD a sporty version. It's in the VIM computer and yes the MKVI GTI is mentioned in their. Rabbit is getting a tech package for the very first time. That includes a new state of the art Touch screen Navigation system with a 30 GB HDD, bluetooth and a Media-In module that has full iPod integration with a special cable. The special cable is part number 000 051 446 C. The GTI has had the nav and Media-In. Expect new Radios that work with the new Media-In for those who don't like nav systems, use their garmin or just use paper maps. You can choose between a 2 door or a 4 door just like the MKV.
This discussion has been closed.