Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    That's why you have to take things posted on the intarweb with a big grain of salt.

My guess is, anything beyond $350-$500 is a different configuration (e.g., ESP, alloys, and sun roof included).
  • fenway68fenway68 Posts: 4
    I am looking to downsize my SUV, and love the new golf/rabbit as projected.

I am looking for folks with experience with golf's/rabbit and family and travel..

My wife is not convinced that we will NOT enjoy travelling with this vehicle with our 3 month old ("it'll be cramped') We are not making our family any bigger than the three of us, but I want to sacrifce my SUV for fuel econ and the environment and i really like the prospect of this car (former '91 8vGTI owner here)

i need help convincing her that this will be the way to go...

Also snow experience will be helpfull as well..

fenway68
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    You will have to bend down a little to install the kiddie seat in the Rabbit. But with 4 doors it is certainly doable.

FWD cars with the proper tires can get through most inclement weather systems as well as any SUV, assuming you are driving on roads and not some mountain path.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Since your baby is only 3 months, you are probably using a rearward facing baby seat. We were unable to use a rear facing seat in our 2001 Golf but could use one on a PT Cruiser. Rear facing baby seats are real space hogs.

At least there is more front to backseat room in the new Rabbit than in the old Golf, so it may work for you, but TAKE ALONG YOUR SEAT and try it before you buy.

Overall I think you are making a good choice, at least if you are looking at small cars, since the Rabbit is heavy for its size (and weight is always important for impact safety) and has standard ABS, side body, and side curtain (full length) air bags.

Having recently been in a side impact crash, I favor (1) having a door pillar next to the side of the body, since a strong body structure beats reinforcement plates in a "long" door (so 4 doors are better than 2, 2 door vehicles move door pillar to my rear); and (2) side curtain air bags (my vehicle didn't deform too much, but my head was thrown against the side of during the impact). The Rabbit 4 door is therefore better in my mind than the 2 door; fortunately ALL Rabbits have both kinds of side air bags, plus ABS which is also great. To get that kind of overall safety you have to look long and hard.

I don't think a Rabbit 4 door will be "cramped" so much as "intimate." I have mostly owned small cars, with one minivan, one "cute ute" (a Honda CR-V) and one Impala thrown in for variety. In some vehicles you can't reach across to unlock a door or even to access the glove box. In smaller vehicles with a large bodied passenger, you literally feel too close to each other. Since the passenger in this case will be your wife, and since many new moms sit in the back with baby anyway, there will be plenty of room. One big plus of the hatchback design of the Golf, is that if you leave out the rear package tray, you wife has "reach over" acces to all the extra junk a baby needs, in the trunk/hatch area (I'd actually try to put the package tray on the floor of the trunk so you can use it for security/privacy when you need it; I'd also privacy tint the rear windows.)

The problem that arises with small cars in general, and moms and small cars in particular, is that women seem to have a strong protective instinct that tells them to be in one of the larger, if not largest, vehicles on the road. They are mentally comparing size all the time, and a Rabbit just isn't that big nowadays. My wife, for example, drives the Impala now, ya know, not me! And she is all of 5 foot tall and the kids are very small (2 & 9). But she feels better there, and I'm happy to take a high mpg, Rabbit style vehicle to work.

BTW, depending on which SUV you have, your "total safety" quotient may actually go up...although SUV's almost always fare better in crashes with other cars, they are involved in more single accident crashes (roll-overs, mainly) and their roofs are notorious for collapsing in on their occupants. The Rabbit is a tough little egg....

(The best way to sell your wife on it, is to tell her you'll get her an SUV next year when the new models have been in production for a while and gas prices have stabilized, then you can use the Rabbit for commuting... it worked for me... last time but not this time!)
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    I've heard a lot of different things... Consumer reports says quality is "below average"... a realative of mine has a VW;loves it and has had no problems... a friend of mine has one; again, loves it and has had not problems. Though I do not know much more than you do.
  • parkerjonparkerjon Posts: 14
    I have a Sage Green 5 door coming in (manual).

I hope they computer info is correct and they didn't put a beige interior in the car.

I hope it has more driver leg space than the Civic I test drove last week.

Jonathan
  • calvineboxcalvinebox Posts: 4
    I am driving a 2003 VW Golf and just had its 40K service today. My little car is completely trouble-free. I spent a few extra dollars to add a nice ski/bike rack on the top and it looks great. Can't wait to test drive the next generation. If I followed the Consumer Reports's suggestion, I would have never got this car. It's obvious to me that "Reports" always favors those Japanese auto makers. :P
  • Can be found in:
    1. Canadian VW website
    2. KelleyBlueBook :D
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Posts: 47
    Thanks for the info!!! The Kelley site at least gives us the options... even if not the prices. Also answers my question about interior color with the Sage Green...beige :cry: ....just hope it isn't true...I know someone on this forum ordered a green and hopes it isn't beige.
  • Kelley site perhaps is not 100% accurate. I think the Rabbit is assembled in Germany instead of Brazil as listed there. I guess more color options will become available later. Green/Beige does sound very attractive! :D
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    shift all Rabbit production to Germany for the new model? So, no more Brazilian or Mexican Golfs, which I am hoping will improve things if only for Rabbit owners. (Jetta buyers beware!)

fob666: any initial idea of what the fuel economy is like? Do you have a stick or auto?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    My local dealer has one of each, a bare bones black two door, and a nicely equipped silver four door. The four door was something like $19.5K, and the two door, $15.75K. Options on the four door included alloys and a sunroof.
    As for the essential differences, the four door has a full console with rear seat vents, a fold-down armrest and pass through in the rear seatback, driver and passenger seats with more adjustments, nicer seat materials, and of course, the convenience of four doors. But once past the sunroof and alloys, the price difference was something like $2400. While I liked the added features on the four door, I think I would go for the base two door, and dress it up with the alloys, and do it in something other than black. I did like the silver on the four door.
    Aren't these Rabbits 2006s? I believe they are. The dealer had 2006 stickers on them, and I think the Monroney sticker also said 2006 for the model year.

If you drive it, check out how much the center stack impedes the space for your right leg. My right leg was making intimate friends with that thing the whole time I was driving. Not sure if it would become uncomfortable after an hour or more of driving. It wasn't a comfort problem on my 10-minute test drive.

Was the silver four door seats black or grey material? I can't wait to see and drive one. My local dealer doen't have them yet. Thanks for the info.
    I had a similar interference problem with my right leg and the center stack on my 2001 and 2004 Golfs. Guess it must be a German thing - sit straight. But I have had no such problem on the many other economy cars I have had, ranging from diminutive (Scion xA) to nearly mid size (Focus XZ3) to very cheap (Cavalier).
    They are starting to change things on the official site vw.com. Rabbit is beginning to appear...see the GypsieCabProject...new ad campaign for rabbit in New York.
    Also some fun with the Jetta crashing into various objects..pretty cool! :)
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    Seat color in both was grey, different patterns. I'll admit the four door was more appealing.
    Gas mileage rating was 22/30, which is not stellar, but I am willing to bet the highway figure can be bettered.
    Both cars were locked, and I was in a hurry. I had just come out of the showroom, where I sat in a GTI for the first time. I was impressed with the quality of fit and finish. I am 5'9, but with a long torso. Once positioned comfortably behind the pedals, I wished I could have raised the steering wheel about a half inch more, so that it did not quite clip the gauges in my line of sight. I sense that I might be prone to ever so slightly lowering my head while driving. There was good headroom under the sunroof, and good room with plenty of foot room (under the front seat)in the back, unlike a Subaru Legacy for example.
    Hope to take delivery on Monday. Will drop by on the weekend to make sure it is what I am expecting: i.e. dark interior.

I am very happy with the lease payments: $265 CDN/month cheaper than what I was paying on the Passat Wagon we returned last month.
  • berlin58berlin58 Posts: 3
    Just a quick note for anyone in the Phoenix are looking for a Rabbit: VW of North Scottsdale just had 6 Rabbit's delivered this afternoon; 2 two doors and 4 four doors. Also
    Chapman VW in south Scottsdale has 6 Rabbit's posted on their internet inventory, but I am not sure if they physically have the cars. Good luck to everyone!!!
    Also, I had a chance to drive a friend's 2006 GTI this past weekend and what a little
    pocket rocket!!! Handling was excellent on both the California highways and winding roads
    and there is plenty of room for tall folks. I am 6'5" tall and weigh 255 lbs. and I had more
    than enough room. In fact, if the seat was all the way back, it was to far. I actually had to
    move the seat forward a little bit.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    The 1.4-liter TSI supercharged/turbocharged engine, probably within a year or so.

The reason is simple: the 1.4-liter TSI engine offers just as much performance as the 2.5-liter I-5 engine now in the Rabbit but with likely much lower fuel consumption. VW will probably have to slightly lower the compression to around 9.7:1 to accommodate US-market 87 pump octane gasoline, so the US-market engine will probably be rated at 160 bhp SAE 08/04 net.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Octane.

VW will probably have to slightly lower the compression to around 9.7:1 to accommodate US-market 87 pump octane
    Probably? The twincharger engine REQUIRES 98 Octane. I don't even know where 98 Octane is available.
  • thumper4thumper4 Posts: 2
    The Rabbit is great! Got it for a great deal, compared to other competitors out there, Honda and Toyota. Came with all the extras as standard. Added was a sunroof and alloy wheels. It is designed very well, inside and out, very clean, uncomplicated...easy to use car. They did a really nice job with this. I am a very happy customer, the first one in MA to drive one off the lot. I got it in Norwood, MA at the automile.

Ryan
    Congrats to you on your new Rabbit :D I can't wait to get one and maybe be first in my neighborhood :D I just got a quote of $20,920 for a loaded 4 door with sunroof, alloy wheels and ESP...that is on its way to the dealer. That is the MSRP. I understand there is not a lot of mark up from Invoice on the Rabbit so I am thinking will have to pay full MSRP. What is your experience with pricing??
  • heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    Americans can be really silly about paying for premium, particularly now that the 20c differential is a dramatically smaller percentage of fuel costs.

If Car and Driver is to be believed, that 1.4L twincharger got 29 mpg city/46 mpg highway and produced 170 hp and 170 ft-lbs.

Sign me up, please!
  • thumper4thumper4 Posts: 2
    That's right, there wasn't alot of markup. I got them to go down on the price about $500. That's it! The rest of my negotiation skills were on what I could get for my car. I've been riding it for a few days now, it handles really well, quiet, and has quite the pep from my elantra. It was sold as a 2006, not a 2007 for those interested in the year. You're gonna love it!
    I was considering buying the Rabbit I am getting next week (rather than leasing as I have done with every VW but one - 9 total) but the one thing that troubled me was having a car longer than the warranty period. All the problems I have ever had with the car were covered under the warranty : even a clutch. To assist with such a buy/lease decision a more relevant survey would be the average maintenance $'s/year for each year (and perhaps total shop time). I would be cool to compare the curve for each manufacturer (I assume this relationship is not linear).

All cars have problems.

Another thing that isn't measured in most surveys is the desire to retain the car as it gets older - whether that be due to maintenance problems or just normal deterioration of the suspension, drive train, exterior and interior. For example: in 2001 we got a V6 Passat Wagon - but when the lease was up (100,000 KM's later) the suspension was loose and it felt sluggish. Now the sluggishness was likely due to the 2.0T Jetta we got last fall. Regardless, the mystique the car had at day one will diminish. I guess the only way to measure this would be turnover of ownership. Chrysler Neon anyone?

I do get sad whenever we turn in a leased car: no car more so than the 1.8T Silver Beetle we had. That car had some serious electrical problems that would cause the engine to cut out (loose connection as it turned out) - but I loved driving it.

Jonathan

BTW: Just got a call - my Rabbit is on the truck.
    A very class act, the 2 door. Very similar to the last generation; but at the same time improvements abound. The rear trunk area might be a little smaller, but not much (due to the move to independent rear suspension). Unlike the Jetta, the dashboard looks more familiar, more like the prior generation.

The new "console" area is well designed, finally with usable cupholders. (But no arm rest on the 2 door.)

No more "tilt up" seats for back seat access. The new "slide forward" seats actually work just fine, but if you don't want to have to reset the track position you need to shove the seat back BEFORE you return the seat back to its upright position.

This is a killer car at $15k with all the safety gear and VERY torquey standard engine (base on my test drives of the Jetta and New Beetle with this engine).

The dealer started up the one I was looking at (over my objections) and there was no "rattle" as reported on early 2.5 Jettas.

Ergonomics SEEM the same as the Mark IV - the center console DOES intrude more than many into the leg space - BUT the rear seat room is definitely improved.

This had me salivating, planning on how to upgrade my '06 Cobalt commuter car into this luxo, yet sporty, mobile.

Badges on the back are as understated as can be - no "Rabbit" name, just the hare logo and the 2.5.
  • vwv230vwv230 Posts: 1
    What is Volkswagen thinking? First of all, the Rabbit (it's a Golf - who are they kidding)is 2 to 3 years late to the market. Now, when they finally bring out the new model they miss the mark and then they wonder why they are losing U.S. market share. The $14,900 Rabbit is a 2 door. The car people want to buy, the 4 door, is $16,900 -overpriced. The automatic gets 30 mpg on the highway. A Toyota Camry gets 33 mpg for God sake. Oh yah, the Civic gets 40 mpg and the Corolla gets 41 mpg. VW is not offering the diesel, people would actually want that car. Good Luck VW, you have lost me.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    I guess that driving the car isn't necessary prior to condemning it? :)

It's a nice drive for the price...
    the 2-door and the 4-door are only a few hundred dollars apart in Canada? How come the 4-door is so much more expensive here in the U.S.? Or is it that they slapped a bargain basement price on the 2-door?

Try driving a Yaris hatch loaded up with power package and all, back to back with a 2-door base Rabbit, for the same price. Oh, what a world of difference in just about every aspect of the car and the drive. The only advantage the Yaris would have in equipment is the alloy wheels, and you would be very lucky to find one Toyota had built with the side curtain airbags. The Golf would be the better buy IMO, but for the terrible fuel economy. There aren't a lot of 2-door hatches to compete with the Golf, except for a couple of the subcompacts like the Accent and the Yaris.

Now, as for 4-door hatchbacks, the Golf makes a decent proposition at $17K, but there are some pretty good alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.